Type keyword(s) to search

Severance - Season 1

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Irv painting over and over the view in the elevator when they turned between Innie and Outie, was heartbreaking.

I think it’s the other elevator. The one down to the floor where they stash Ms Casey. Irv has likely been severed for much longer than just his current tenure at MDR. He might well have ridden that elevator himself.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Dylan clearly had the shortest arms of anyone in the group.  Why did he insist on being in the control room?

I also wonder how the levers were kept open when Mr. Milchick went to see Outie Dylan. Or who kept them open.

Also, I cannot wait for Season 2!

• Like 5

L'il off topic, but the newest episode of Rick and Morty (6x04, "Night Family") has a heavy Severance kinda vibe when Rick acquires a sonambulator device that basically creates a "night person" to do stuff for the user, using the user's body, while the user's mind sleeps.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I liked this show, but was disappointed by what the end of the season seemed to indicate was at the core of the plot. The moral implications of forcing a “work me” to only work while I have a life was obvious in the first one or two eps. Outie Helly said innie Hellie allowed the outer people to live. That’s not interesting to me (and the outer lives seem pretty uninteresting, for the most part). I hope season 2 focuses more on what exactly innie’s are doing, and the departments and wider situation on Earth.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:28 PM, Ottis said:

I liked this show, but was disappointed by what the end of the season seemed to indicate was at the core of the plot. The moral implications of forcing a “work me” to only work while I have a life was obvious in the first one or two eps. Outie Helly said innie Hellie allowed the outer people to live. That’s not interesting to me (and the outer lives seem pretty uninteresting, for the most part). I hope season 2 focuses more on what exactly innie’s are doing, and the departments and wider situation on Earth.

Well, I think a strong part of it is the work/life balance. I mean, we go to work and it is part of our lives, but a remarkably large number of people endure going to work in order to live outside of work. Then their lives outside of work are rarely worth it, because they have no passion, or have the passion leached out of them. It is a problem, and the solution that is presented here is often the kind of solution that people look for when they are presented with a problem, while being something that can be ultimately of benefit to people who are better off, because they can find other people to do it for them.

Yes, I hope that we start to see what is happening in the larger world, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just watched the whole season yesterday. So good!

When y'all talk about the premise, you mention the work/life balance, which is definitely part of it. But it's also clearly an analogy for having children/child abuse. As Reghabi told Mark, the innies didn't ask to be brought into this world, and were created to satisfy an emotional need of the outies. There's nothing inherently wrong with that (IMO, as a person that wants children...), but then the problem is that they don't treat the innies (children) as their own independent people, but just as extensions of themselves, and that leads to horrible experiences for the innies. And this is a thing a lot of parents do!

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

I just finished binging this over a few days. It started slow for me, but the twists in the last few episodes - awesome!

On 8/27/2022 at 5:22 PM, arc said:

No. She's an Eagan heir who voluntarily got severed as a PR move for the sake of the company and the procedure. (I personally feel this is an ass-pull they made midway through and didn't fully correct episode 2 to fit; see my earlier comments about both that and why it was ludicrous to do this when outie Helena could've just straight up lied and said she was severed, etc etc.)

There's an interview with the showrunner prior to this where he confirmed that Helena Eagan is an idea they came up with mid-season. However, in a later interview with Britt Lower, she mentioned that because of the pandemic shutting down production, the cast had the complete finished scripts before filming began. And also, that filming was done out of order - they didn't film one episode at a time in chronological order. So the show certainly had a lot of room to fix episode 2, and didn't.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dichen Lachman's stint on the Joss Whedon show Dollhouse a little over a decade prior to this show. When Ms. Casey was revealed to be Mark's wife Gemma, I laughed and said to myself that I should have seen that twist coming since it was Lachman in the role.

• Like 3

I just watched the first season over the last week.  I think I need to rewatch it because I am completely confused and feel like a missed so many details. I need some Cliff Notes for this show! 😄  What's the deal with Petey?  I get that they made a plan to do the Overtime Contingency.  Keir Egan is Helly's dad?  I don't know why I thought he was dead? Is he the board?  Harmony got fired so why does she care if the people know they are severed?  If anything, I would think she would be on their side now. Why does Irving have all those newspaper clippings, employee lists, etc? It looks like he was trying to expose Lumon before he was severed. All this stuff is at his house, but he doesn't know to look at until he's not severed?  I get that Ms. Casey is Mark's wife who he thought was dead and doesn't know she is his wife.  That part is really the only thing I understand about this entire series.  🙃

Edited by juliet73