Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Let the Great World Spin

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Not sure I am buying the private detective is only looking for a signature.  Javier aka latino Colin Farrell is a huge loose cannon.  I know he threatened Marty when he was on the call with Navarro, but I feel like Marty would have been wise to tell Navarro that Maya is spooked because his nephew came nosing around.  To me that justifies Maya's reluctance and outs Javier as making moves in the shadows.  I also feel like Wendy should have told Jonah that the cartel took out the sheriff when he mouthed off at her.  He thinks he has it all figured out and is really acting like an ass.

• Love 6

Javier is a pretender.  He wants to be his uncle so bad, but he doesn't have the experience, patience, or foresight to pull things off.  We got a clear picture of his character, when he blamed Marty for his own stupidity.  The encounter with the sheriff could have played out any number of ways with the sheriff walking away unharmed.  Won't be long before Javier is in an untenable situation of his own making.

Poor Maya. She dances in the gray area and thinks she still has control.  She berated her colleague, but now her ambition is going to get ahead of her.  So much to lose.  Well, the saying is so true, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions.", and Maya will pay the cost.  Just don't hurt the BABY!!!

I love it, "Those two are dating?"  Yes, hipster heroin guy, that's a question we all ask and shudder behind the implications.  Please, no more sex scenes between them two.  In this case, telling is more than enough.  We don't need the show part of the equation.

• Love 10
On 1/22/2022 at 8:23 AM, PsychoDrone said:

Javier is a pretender.  He wants to be his uncle so bad, but he doesn't have the experience, patience, or foresight to pull things off.  We got a clear picture of his character, when he blamed Marty for his own stupidity.  The encounter with the sheriff could have played out any number of ways with the sheriff walking away unharmed.  Won't be long before Javier is in an untenable situation of his own making.

Javier is so sloppy.  He knows people are looking for Helen, and he is not willing to clean up the blood from when he shot the sheriff.  It's on the damn front door.  He was lucky that no one else popped by while they were transporting and cremating the sheriff.  I get that he wants to torture Marty, but it shouldn't be worth that kind of risk to him. 

• Love 5

I like Wendy, but she needs to check her mouth. She's driving Jonah out of the house. 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, PsychoDrone said:

Javier is a pretender.  He wants to be his uncle so bad, but he doesn't have the experience, patience, or foresight to pull things off. 

I still say Nix made his own bed. That came home to roost. Javier isn't wrong though. With Nix gone, we saw Darlene try with the new sheriff, and she wasn't playing. Sure, it could have been cleaner, but you have a crematorium in your pocket. He probably should have hatched a plan with Wendy, but he doesn't like them in the first place. The opportunity presented itself. 

I don't know why Marty and Wendy haven't grasped how serious Javier is about Darlene. When they had him in the house for pastries and coffee, they really should have either asked how he thought it would play out or lay out a plan. 

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Javier is so sloppy.

There's no excuse for being sloppy though. 

I like Wendy's move to get into politics. I think it's smart; she's getting over ambitious, but I can take the point she's under pressure. 

So to continue from last episode, Ruth mentioned the motel was 'shithole', so major renovations seems plausible. 

I really liked Marty's resigned nod when Jonah said he was washing for Ruth. 

Honestly, hipster heroin seems like a brilliant idea. You need high end customers, but it doesn't seem impossible. Darlene may not like it, but she's not really got options on the table. 

I usually binge watch but am going slower this time so I only have watched 2 episodes, but I will bet that Javier will be dead before the season is up.

Darlene is losing patience with Ruth, that is not going to end well between them.

Wendy irritates me yet I still hope that the Byrdes come out ahead.

The hipster drug guy will always be Betty Draper's brother to me.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

What is Maya thinking, moving in with the Byrds???  The risk to herself and the baby is just not worth the deal.  Run, Maya!

100% agree.  She wanted to be somewhere safe, with backup to take care of the baby?  How did that work out for Zeke?  

• Love 3

Javier may have had an American education but he is acting like he is still in Mexico.   Even working for the cartel the rules are different on this side of the border.  You don’t just shoot a sheriff because he is inconvenient and loyal to your competitors.  But Javier is playing like he is still in Mexico.  

• Love 5

Javier really is an idiot. He is trying to shard to be a tough guy but he is mistaking being a loose cannon wit being smart. Killing the sheriff was a big mistake, he could have gotten rid of him any number of ways without killing him, bringing attention to them and the operation. Then trying to blame Marty for his own stupid choices, he is in no way ready to take over a whole cartel. He lacks any kind of ability for long term planning, his first plan is always "kill them" which is seriously going to bite him. 

That PI has something else going on, no way would he put this much work into finding Helen if it was "just" a signature from her estranged husband he needs. 

I was right there with hipster heroin guy on his "ick" reaction to the idea of Wyatt and Darlene being together. 

I can get why Jonah is upset, but he cant act all self righteous towards his parents when he's laundering money for Darlene, who is just as bad, or even worse, then his parents. 

Run Maya! Run and take the baby!

• Love 4
On 1/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

That PI has something else going on, no way would he put this much work into finding Helen if it was "just" a signature from her estranged husband he needs. 

I can get why Jonah is upset, but he cant act all self righteous towards his parents when he's laundering money for Darlene, who is just as bad, or even worse, then his parents. 

Run Maya! Run and take the baby!

I'm way late on watching the first part of Season 4 (so I could be totally, laughably wrong), but I like the idea of the PI simply being what he says he is -- would be nice to have more characters who don't have an ulterior motive and are just doing their jobs in a way that happens to cause trouble for the Byrdes.  I like his dogged, Columbo vibe so far.  

And if Helen's ex has money in his own right and is willing to keep paying the PI, Mel would definitely put in the work for a signature.  Helen's ex hates her, wants the divorce now, and probably hopes that when that's final and he has the new wife, he'll be in a better position to get full custody of the kids.  And if he thinks Helen is playing games to delay the divorce for some reason, the ex will definitely dig in harder and keep the PI in pursuit.  

Yeah, I can't with this Jonah storyline, and I'm annoyed he's being used to keep the ridiculous Darlene stuff going.  One of the Franks would've 100% taken her out for ... dismembering Frank Jr., and it's insane that the show pretends otherwise.  She didn't just have Frank Jr. beaten and hospitalized (arguably proportionate to what he did to Ruth) -- she permanently disfigured and disabled him in one of the worst ways you could do that to a macho mob guy's son.  And all the characters look stupid when they decide that because they're mad at the Byrdes, Crazy Darlene is suddenly their ally.       

Maya leaving her newborn with complete strangers she knows to be criminals, while on maternity leave from the FBI and with no backup (and I assume without their knowledge), and going off to meet a homicidal drug lord by herself .... INSANE decision making.  Maya, what are you doing?? 

• Love 1