Type keyword(s) to search

As We See It - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

AsWeSeeIt_S1_ShowKeyArtPR_404x608_Sensor

“As We See It” is a Dramedy TV Series that will premiere all eight half-hour episodes on Jan. 21 on Amazon Prime Video. 

AsWeSeeIt_S1_ShowBannerPressSite_1920x10

The creator Jason Katims, who is also the showrunner, writer, and executive producer has a son, Sawyer, who is on the spectrum and has imagined what his son's life will be like as he becomes an adult. This lead him to watch and then include Dana Idisis and Yuval Shafferman as executive producers, the creators of the 2018 Israeli series “On the Spectrum”, on which this show was based.

Although none of the main characters (played by actors who are on the spectrum) or their experiences are directly based on Sawyer's life, Jason Katims was able to use his own experiences and the experiences of other people he knew on the spectrum to shape the show's subject matter. There is an 80% unemployment rate for college graduates on the autistic spectrum and this has got to change. Hopefully by people understanding that everybody has differences.

OTSP_S1_UT_108_210511_GOLALI_00911R_1_th

“As We See It” follows Jack, Harrison, and Violet, twentysomething roommates on the autism spectrum, as they strive to keep jobs, date, navigate the world and make friends – with help from Violet’s brother, Van, Jack’s dad, Lou and their aide, Mandy.

OTSP_S1_UT_108_210514_GOLALI_00043R_thum

Rick Glassman plays Jack, a computer whiz who struggles to be polite when he feels that other people aren’t up to his level of intelligence, which causes problems in the publishing house where he works.

OTSP_S1_UT_105_210419_GOLALI_00262R_1_th

Joe Mantegna (who has an autistic daughter) plays Lou, Jack’s dad who has cancer.

OTSP_S1_UT_104_210416_GOLALI_00347R_thum

Albert Rutecki plays Harrison, who is addicted to TV, struggles to leave the apartment, overwhelmed with stimuli when he steps outside.

OTSP_S1_UT_104_210406_GOLALI_00423R_thum

Sue Ann Pien plays Violet, her intense desire to date leads to some ill-fated flirting in the fast food spot where she works, and her older brother, Van, restricts her access to dating apps on her phone. 

OTSP_S1_UT_106_210428_GOLALI_00500R_thum

Chris Pang plays Van, Violet's older brother.

OTSP_S1_UT_102_210326_GOLALI_00040R_thum

Sosie Bacon plays Mandy, their aide.

Angela Fornero as Teresa Cardenas
Adan James Carrillo as AJ Cardenas
David Futernick as John
Jennifer Lyons as Colette
Naomi Rubin as Ellie
Délé Ogundiran as Ewatomi Kokumo
Jocelyn Marie as Tiff
Dylan Kiedman as Caleb
Tal Anderson as Gia
Andrew M. Duff as Douglas

Episode Titles and Descriptions        all episodes released January 20, 2022

Spoiler

S01.E01: Pilot
Jack, Harrison, and Violet, three twenty-something roommates who are on the autism spectrum, strive to navigate a world that eludes them.

S01.E02: I Apologize for My Words and Actions
Violet flirts with a delivery guy at work. Harrison befriends a latchkey kid living in the building. Jack endangers his job security yet again.

S01.E03: When Violet Met Douglas
Violet asks Van’s girlfriend for dating advice. Jack presses Lou’s nurse for more information about his dad’s diagnosis. AJ and Harrison's forbidden friendship secretly continues. Mandy gives her two week’s notice.

S01.E04: The Violetini
As Violet anxiously prepares for her birthday party, she is excited by progress with Julian. Meanwhile, Jack and Harrison go to great lengths to try to secure their plus ones for the party.

S01.E05: Ever Had an Edible?
Jack and his dad bond as the effects of Lou's illness become more visible. Mandy receives unexpected news from Harrison’s parents, further complicating her plans for the future. Violet wants to take things to the next level with Julian.

S01.E06: Fear Is My Bitch
The roommates each struggle in their love lives - Violet spirals as her relationship with Julian fails to match her expectations; Jack tries to make things right with Ewatomi; Harrison develops an unrequited crush.

S01.E07: Outed
Jack has an existential crisis. Still reeling from Julian, Douglas helps to change Violet's perspective on life. Feeling betrayed by Mandy, Harrison ventures out on his own.

S01.E08: Please Don't Leave
At his sister’s graduation party, Harrison struggles to accept the many changes being thrown his way. Confronted with the reality of Lou’s illness, Jack turns to Ewatomi. Feeling like she’s losing control over her life, Violet lashes out at Van. The line between Mandy’s personal and professional lives continues to blur.

I was watching the pilot episode and was almost certain that I had seen it before.

Turns out that in a way, I have - it's a remake of an Israeli series called "On The Spectrum", and when I say remake, it's pretty much word-for-word.

I really enjoyed the original but not enough that I'm going to be able to re-watch it in English with different people playing the same characters. 

I'll probably throw this one on when I've got nothing else to watch or I want to multi-task.  The characters and plot are enjoyable enough (and why wouldn't they be - it's like comparing MacDonald's to Burger King; any difference is too nuanced for my palate to detect), so I'm not going to just bail.  Also. I'm mildly curious to see if TPTB do anything differently this time.  

On 1/23/2022 at 4:56 PM, meatball77 said:

It's good but hard to watch

Yes it really is.  And the actors are all great--so glad they cast neurodiverse actors here.  I felt for everyone and I also laughed.  Violet in particular--what a handful! and such a great actor!

• Love 1

I haven’t seen it yet but from the description, I understand Violet’s “urge” (desperation?) to date.  I am undiagnosed, but I seriously suspect I’m on the spectrum.  I wasn’t kissed by a boy until I was in my late teens and didn’t get another one for few more years.  Like when I was 21.   Do you know how hard that drought was for me?  I had my crushes, but didn’t know how to act on it.   Or read signals.  I didn’t ask anyone out, either.  Keep in mind that this was the late 90s and early 2000s, so no apps and websites were mostly creeps.  Funny how I ended up meeting someone online…on a dating website.  

This was really intense--it certainly didn't try to sugarcoat the limitations and challenges the characters face, or pretend there is an easy solution to them.  But because their behavior is by definition repetitive it's not that enjoyable to watch.  Ultimately I worry that Mandy is too emotionally enmeshed with her clients and I don't think that she should be forgoing career/educational opportunities for such an unstable position.

7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I wanted to curl up and die during Violets date. It was so hard to watch. Although it was a cowards exit I’m glad the guy just skulked out.

I predict that Mandy and Violets brother will get together. 

Yeah, them getting together was pretty obvious. 

While I do like this show, it's a bit too saccharine for my taste. Nice house, wealthy families, an insanely patient, empowering and supportive aide. I think it's an interesting exploration of the challenges people on the spectrum face in adulthood though, handling dating, wanting to be "normal", trying to become financially independent, dealing with a sick parent etc. Some things are definitely hard to watch. Violet especially, I have to remind myself she is an adult woman, not a 12 year old girl. I can see why her brother is so protective, even if she needs autonomy.

I have a son on the spectrum (more towards the old Aspergers diagnosis, now called A1 on the spectrum).  He is very similar to Jack in that he has always said what has been on his mind, and is almost too honest.   Also very smart, and many times noone understands what he is talking about.  Yet he doesnt have any friends, and despite wanting a girlfriend, he is too afraid; I almost wish he would try like Violet.   We encouraged him to get a bumble but he hates social media.   Atypical, though I could relate to it, the main character was able to get girls and had a friend.  I only watched the Pilot so far, and will see where this goes.   I almost wish family members would watch, so they could understand why my son said what did during a family gathering that caused a big rift . Saying truth has deep consequences that those on the spectrum dont always understand.   I also want to add that the pandemic and requirement of masks has set him back, as he can no longer read faces.    If someone did a docuseries on the affects of the pandemic of those on the spectrum I would definately watch that.