Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E11: Will Forte / Måneskin

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, vb68 said:

Always loved MacGruber, but it did wade a little far into the hard core rhetoric for me. I get what they were doing, but still.  

I didn't mind the hard core conspiracy theory angle of MacGruber.  I think it fit.  But my recollection of MacGruber was that they used to be short at the beginning of the episode and get shorter as the show wore on.  And the bomb explosion would come earlier and earlier.  Put together, they'd be about the length of one skit.

But the MacGruber bits last night felt longer than usual.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Andrew looks like a high schooler.

I didn’t think Pete was high, I just thought he genuinely broke alongside the other two. It was funny.

Yes, while I think that Aristotle is really striking, a very handsome man.

Andrew looks like a teenager almost.  Like a John Mulaney type.  They always make him play the teenager.  Aristotle always plays like, the phantom in the Opera type.  LOL

• Love 2

I dunno...I kind of love the energy Sarah brings to the show.  This cast, especially the ladies, are really loaded with potential even if they don't always reach it week to week.  As much as I'm tired of anything Trump related, this new guy really nails him.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Songs about Spaceships, Toddlers, Model T Cars, and Jars of Beer AGAIN: This sketch is back! 

They've done this sketch before? Was it generally the same? In any case, I really enjoyed it, esp the last song when they were "singing" their hearts out.

18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was it weird to anyone else that Will Forte didn't thank Ryan Phillippe at the end of the episode?  He had a huge part in this episode.

Yes, I thought it was weird. I recognized him but couldn't remember his name. Also, any idea why he was in the sketches?

Did someone else play Laura Ingraham before? I'm picturing Cecily, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I didn't care for Kate's take on her. And who did Trump say got her teeth fixed? This was when he was talking about How I Met Your Mother.

I enjoyed the monologue. 

Kristin: I flew in for this.
Will: Great! So you know where the airport is.

At first I was pleased to see MacGruber again, but I didn't care for him being all MAGA. 

I LOVED Kid Klash. Will was hilarious as the mean host.

Cinema Classics/Gaslight was just ok. The best part was Reese De'What.

The three-way sketch was ok. The best part of this was when Will tested the bed by shaking and banging the headboard forever. I was cracking up.

I always enjoy Guy Who Just Bought a Boat, though the puns and double entrendres fly by too fast for me to catch them all. I was also amused by Pete losing it.

The first time Sarah was on doing this bit I liked her. This time, not so much. Maybe it was my mood, but I just didn't like her twisting Colin's innocent comments. I know that's the joke, but it wasn't funny to me. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

Ryan Phillippe was in the MacGruber film and has been part of the MacGruber machine ever since.

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

Did someone else play Laura Ingraham before? I'm picturing Cecily, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I didn't care for Kate's take on her. And who did Trump say got her teeth fixed? This was when he was talking about How I Met Your Mother.

Hilary Duff, who stars in the reboot, "How I Met your Father".

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

They've done this sketch before? Was it generally the same? In any case, I really enjoyed it, esp the last song when they were "singing" their hearts out.

At least once before with Jonah Hill 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, meep.meep said:

And JAJ does the best Trump.  He's the only one whose picked up on the weird way he moves his hands.

Yeah he's got the accordion hands going. 

Now that I got to see the beginning, I realized how many people were missing in this show. I wonder if they were quarantining or what?  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

I dunno...I kind of love the energy Sarah brings to the show.  This cast, especially the ladies, are really loaded with potential even if they don't always reach it week to week.  As much as I'm tired of anything Trump related, this new guy really nails him.

I like Sarah, I think she’s adorable and she’s been funny in other sketches. Maybe they don’t need this WU again.

• Love 3

I thought the Threesome sketch with Will Forte as the Experienced Threesome guy was one of the funniest skits of the year.  Yeah, I could not imagine indulging a wife to that extent.

The skit with the songs about Spaceships, Toddlers, Model T Cars, and Jars of Beer kind of confused me.  Is there some sort of improvisational element involved with it, like the Garth and Kat skits Kristen Wiig used to do with Fred Armisen?  Something about the way she was singing and fumbling through it made me think so.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

10 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Not that funny tonight but I loved the band ( Who I had never heard of before) cover of Frankie Valli. I loved his voice , the sound of the ensemble. The visual. Everything. Which really surprised me because I haven’t liked much music since  the 70’s. Especially most of the musical guests on SNL. 

I liked them a lot too. I hear "Beggin" on the radio all the time but didn't know what the band looked like. I was impressed with their look and with their second song too. Did you know they got second place on X-Factor Italy in 2017 when they were about 18 yrs old!

I liked the Sarah Sherman bit and thought WU was especially funny this week.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Don't feel bad. Alex Moffat and Mikey Day have been on the show for years and I STILL can't tell them apart.

I can't remember which of those is which, either. I've tried numerous mnemonic devices and I've studied the credits and... I still can't do it.

28 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

It bothered me that in the Experienced Third sketch, he said he was going into the bathroom to have a heart attack, but he went out the same door he entered from the theoretical hallway.

I think he turned into a side door, for the bathroom, and not out into the hallway as he'd entered.

I think Sarah is funny. I also liked the MacGruber sketches, and I don't think I've ever liked one before. Even Wiig didn't annoy me in those, and she pretty much always annoys me. The thing I disliked this week was the monologue.

• Love 2

I’m another who doesn’t get Sarah’s WU bits. Is there supposed to be a reason that she dresses and does her hair and makeup like it’s 1972? If there is a joke there I guess I missed it. Didn’t love most of this show. Nothing really stood out although McGruber was OK .

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

At least once before with Jonah Hill 

The other was with Seth Rogen. As mentioned in the sketch, it really had been a 12-year hiatus.

6 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Too many people commenting on the upload over on YT seem to think Sarah is the Second Comedic Coming. Although it took me a while to like her, I actually don't mind the amount of Heidi Gardner because she's quite versatile. Surprisingly, not tired of Kate or Cecily yet, either, unlike how I was with Kristen Wiig at this point during her SNL run. Don't mind Ego except for her seemingly being in every sketch. Don't care for Chloe, at all, but unfortunately, she's getting tons of airtime. Really miss Beck Bennett although am still happy with the remaining guys...except for the writing trio characters due to being unable to understand why they're supposedly funny. 

ETA: I've grown to like Miley Day just for his great upset reactions, "Oh my god! No! That is not a thing!"

I feel like they realized they were barely using Chloe, so are trying to do more with her now. I just have no connection with her when I watch her. 

I feel like we have not seen Ego much in the last few months, I guess due to Kate being back. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Don't feel bad. Alex Moffat and Mikey Day have been on the show for years and I STILL can't tell them apart.

For me it was Alex Moffat and Beck Bennet. I still struggle with it when I see Alex Moffat wondering if Beck Bennet is doing a cameo.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

And JAJ does the best Trump.  He's the only one whose picked up on the weird way he moves his hands.

It's also how he captures Trump's insanely disordered speech patterns, which give a glimpse into his mind. JAJ's impression is the first one they've had that feels like biting satire instead of buffoonery.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

The skit with the songs about Spaceships, Toddlers, Model T Cars, and Jars of Beer kind of confused me.  Is there some sort of improvisational element involved with it, like the Garth and Kat skits Kristen Wiig used to do with Fred Armisen?  Something about the way she was singing and fumbling through it made me think so.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

I didn't get the impression that they were improvising. It looked to me like Kristin was trying not to laugh, and that caused her to stumble quite a bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Can you picture the Don Jr and Eric Trump sketches? Day = Don.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I’m another who doesn’t get Sarah’s WU bits. Is there supposed to be a reason that she dresses and does her hair and makeup like it’s 1972? If there is a joke there I guess I missed it. Didn’t love most of this show. Nothing really stood out although McGruber was OK .

A mullet and wardrobe that is a combo of Doug Henning and Punky Brewster doesn't make her funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, I thought it was weird. I recognized him but couldn't remember his name. Also, any idea why he was in the sketches?

He's in the MacGruber movie and the upcoming TV show.  

22 hours ago, cathaireverywhere said:

I really dislike Sarah Sherman.   Her haircut makes me stabby, and her constant yelling and smirking increases my stabbing urges. 

Going to a salon and asking for a haircut that looks like "my entire head was encased in bubblegum and my mom had to cut it out" is definitely a choice... With a better haircut, she'd kind of look like Emma Stone. I'd also like to see her do a bit where she isn't just obnoxiously yelling. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Going to a salon and asking for a haircut that looks like "my entire head was encased in bubblegum and my mom had to cut it out" is definitely a choice... With a better haircut, she'd kind of look like Emma Stone. I'd also like to see her do a bit where she isn't just obnoxiously yelling.

OMG, best description ever! Now that you mentioned it, that's exactly what it looks like!

I was just going to say that I remember Alex Moffat because he did Eric Trump but for some reason it didn't really register to me that Mikey was Don! Probably because I was always focused on watching what Eric was doing, especially when it came to his childlike wonderment. Laughing just thinking about how Don had to stop and show him how to use what he had just given him and Eric's resulting delight!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Mikey Day is the one whose son changed all the contacts in his phone to Gigi Hadid - whenever he gets a call, it's from Gigi Hadid, no matter who is actually calling.  (on one of the "at home" shows last year)

• LOL 1
54 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm surprised her haircut is that important to anyone, one way or the other.

She likes it and that's all that matters really...I thought we were past judging people for these things here in the year of our lord 2022.

• Love 3
On 1/23/2022 at 6:43 AM, Scout Finch said:

I really dislike Sarah Sherman's obnoxious persona and there was too much Kristen Wiig (not to mention that both have made unfortunate and unflattering haircut choices!).

I adore Kristen Wiig's haircut.  I've had hair that short for years at a time but finally had to admit that I don't have the face for it.  I think it looks fantastic on her.

ETA:  Oh, the show.  I'll admit that I'm biased because I love Pete Davidson, but the guy who bought a boat thing was so funny I immediately ran it back and watched it again.  Watching three people have such fun is a treat.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

but the guy who bought a boat thing was so funny

Did Guy Who Bought a Boat influence the two guys who actually did? Was this the punchline to an incredibly slow building joke? Or did Colin and Pete buy it just for the bit?

On 1/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, Galileo908 said:

I honestly get a Gilda vibe from Sarah Sherman. I'm surprised that she's so polarizing.

I find myself really into her.  I think it's kind of visceral.  I can't explain it.  So maybe people dislike her in the same way.

I never got the Leslie Jones stuff, to be honest.  Like I "get it", but I didn't enjoy it.

I always will know who Mikey Day is because the David Blaine sketches were so famous when they came out:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, vb68 said:

I always feel that both Will Forte and his tenure on the show are seriously underrated. He has a wacky, even absurdist, point of view and sense of humor that was different than any other person that I remember on the show.  He did the best five to 1:00am pieces. I'm very happy he's finally gotten his chance to host, and I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Having said that, other than MacGruber obviously, I have no idea what to expect. (And that's not a bad thing.)  The Falconer possibly, if anyone remember that? 

Will Forte Reminds Me OF Bill Murray Some What In Looks AND In His Sense OF Humor ! ! 

On 1/25/2022 at 4:00 PM, SG429 said:

Did Guy Who Bought a Boat influence the two guys who actually did? Was this the punchline to an incredibly slow building joke? Or did Colin and Pete buy it just for the bit?

I AM NOT Pete OR Colin So I Don't Actually Know Why They Bought The Boat, BUT, I Think They Bought The Boat Because IT Was The Staten Island Ferry And They Are BOTH From Staten Island ! ! 

• Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, SG429 said:

46 minutes ago, Jody said:

I AM NOT Pete OR Colin So I Don't Actually Know Why They Bought The Boat, BUT, I Think They Bought The Boat Because IT Was The Staten Island Ferry And They Are BOTH From Staten Island ! ! 

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they were planning to make it into a nightclub, but I don’t have a link right now. Maybe they can get Stefan to publicize it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

They bought the boat to dock permanently and turn into a nightclub.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what to think of Sarah Sherman's WU bits.  I guess they're OK.  She has this 60's thing channeling Shirley Partridge and Judy Carne.  I just don't know why.

Are the ratings numbers out for this yet?  I bet this might be the season nadir, and they haven't been so good this year.

16 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I was mostly so-so on this episode, except I absolutely love SNL for introducing me to Maneskin.

You should absolutely look up their Eurovision performance, and their press conference after they won Eurovision. That’s what put them on my radar!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ahisma said:

You should absolutely look up their Eurovision performance, and their press conference after they won Eurovision. That’s what put them on my radar!

Yeah I spent over an hour on YouTube last night watching their stuff.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, vb68 said:

I always feel that both Will Forte and his tenure on the show are seriously underrated. He has a wacky, even absurdist, point of view and sense of humor that was different than any other person that I remember on the show.  He did the best five to 1:00am pieces. I'm very happy he's finally gotten his chance to host, and I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Having said that, other than MacGruber obviously, I have no idea what to expect. (And that's not a bad thing.)  The Falconer possibly, if anyone remember that? 

Could You Give A Couple OF Examples OF Sketches Will Forte Did AT The End OF Saturday Night Live ? ? I Had Forgotten The Falconer And I Thought About Tim Calhoun And The Sports Analyst With Jason,  But I Do Remember The Falconer And I Do Know What You Are Talking About With The Falconer ! 

On 1/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Hoping for a lot of Melissa is a pipe dream at this point.  It's pretty clear that among the female cast Tier 1 is Kate, Cecily, and Aidy.  Tier 2 is Ego, Heidi, and Chloe.  Tier 3 is everyone else. 

Nobody Has Said Anything About Cecily ! I Think She Was Doing Her One Woman Off Broadway Show ! 

On 1/23/2022 at 9:07 PM, peeayebee said:

I enjoyed the monologue. 

Kristin: I flew in for this.
Will: Great! So you know where the airport is.

At first I was pleased to see MacGruber again, but I didn't care for him being all MAGA. 

I LOVED Kid Klash. Will was hilarious as the mean host.

Cinema Classics/Gaslight was just ok. The best part was Reese De'What.

The three-way sketch was ok. The best part of this was when Will tested the bed by shaking and banging the headboard forever. I was cracking up.

I always enjoy Guy Who Just Bought a Boat, though the puns and double entrendres fly by too fast for me to catch them all. I was also amused by Pete losing it.

The first time Sarah was on doing this bit I liked her. This time, not so much. Maybe it was my mood, but I just didn't like her twisting Colin's innocent comments. I know that's the joke, but it wasn't funny to me. 

Kate Has Always Played Laura Ingraham ! Now, I Don't Know About With Other Casts Over The Years ! 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:03 PM, possibilities said:

I can't remember which of those is which, either. I've tried numerous mnemonic devices and I've studied the credits and... I still can't do it.

I think he turned into a side door, for the bathroom, and not out into the hallway as he'd entered.

I think Sarah is funny. I also liked the MacGruber sketches, and I don't think I've ever liked one before. Even Wiig didn't annoy me in those, and she pretty much always annoys me. The thing I disliked this week was the monologue.

Mikey Day Has Played Don JR And Alex Played Eric Trump ! Alex Is The Man Who Bought A Boat And The Man Who Reviews The Award Shows ! Kristen Wiig Was Never Annoying In The McGruber Sketches ! Kristen WAS Annoying With Kat And Garth And Surprise Sue And All Her Other Things She Did ! I Thought Will's Monologue Was One OF The Most Best Monologues ! I Thought That Was Funny Where They Were Playing Will OFF And Lorne Came On And Said That He Meant To Have  Willem Defoe On There ! 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, Psychobunny said:

I Do NOT Think Sara Was Dressed Like in 1972 ! I think She Was Trying To Look Like A Clown And She Looked That Way To Fit Her Character And What She Was Doing ! ! ! 

On 1/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, BC4ME said:

For me it was Alex Moffat and Beck Bennet. I still struggle with it when I see Alex Moffat wondering if Beck Bennet is doing a cameo.

I Used To Get Alex And Kyle Mixed Up ! I Some Times Get Kyle And Andrew Dismukes Mixed Up ! The Only Time I Get Alex And Beck Mixed Up Is On Week End Update Where Alex Is The Man Who Bought A Boat And Beck Is Julian ! ! 

I Do NOT Actually Know Because I Am Not Pete And Colin ! I Guess They Got Together Because Both OF Them Are From Staten Island ! Maybe, The Boat Is Actually The Staten Island Ferry So They Decided To Get That Because They Are Both From Staten Island ! Any Way, They Will Turn The Boat Into A Night Club !