Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter Four - The Gathering Storm

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Agree.  He just walks around telling people he's in charge.  What is the point?  He has money.  He's just trying to get more money?  

So apparently Slave 1 was renamed to .... Firespray?  Huh?  Why?  Are they going all PC and trying remove the name "slave"?

To my knowledge the name of the ship is never mentioned even once in any of the movies.  I think it's dropped a couple of times during the Clone Wars series, but that's it. 

Beyond questions of taste, Slave I is kind of a stupid name for a ship.  Sort of like the ways Imperial ship names tended toward menacing but not outright gross.  The ISD Predator might be a name, but you probably wouldn't see the ISD Child Molester or Sodomizer

• Love 1

Good thing Fennec Shand bumped into Boba back in the desert, the guy is really not impressing me with his skills. As a bounty hunter or especially as a crime lord, he seems to be totally in over his head. I almost think the season will end with Fennec Shand taking over after she realizes that she doesn't actually need this guy, she's way more competent on every level, except when it comes to animal care. 

It would be a bit hilarious if we find out that Boba Fett is actually just a random dude who mostly just gets lucky and stumbles into victories and hides behind the mythology that has been built around him around the galaxy. Although I would prefer if they just made him more competent and focused on the space western aspects. Its obviously not going to be The Mandalorian, and Boba is certainly no Din Djarin, but they need to either have their main character show more competence, or make its screw ups a plot point that he needs to deal with. I still mostly like this show, but it really needs to do more instead of just hitting the same Star Wars bits over and over. 

This show really makes me appreciate Star Wars Visions more. Now that show actually had some creative takes on Star Wars. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

@paigow You are correct. I totally forgot that Inspector Gadget was based on Get Smart. It's still the same basic idea.  

Influenced by? Probably.  I wouldn't say "based on".  Of course, it didn't hurt that that Don Adams was the voice of IG for a few seasons.

• Love 1

I don't care that much about the ship name as I always found the Slave 1 to be such a bizarre name for a ship.  What is the significance if such a strange name?  It's never mentioned in the movies so no problem there.  Though did Boba refer to it as "my Firespray gunship"?  Referring to it by its model and not the actual name is also bizarre, considering that ship had been in his family for like 30 years or something. 

I'm going to put this under spoiler notice just to be on the safe side...

Spoiler

Is Fennec ever going to bring up Omega to Alpha, I mean Boba?  Talk about another one of your Star Wars coincidences. 

• Love 1

Actually, what was Bib Fortuna even doing with that ship? They all thought Boba Fett was dead years ago. If I’m an underworld crime boss and a contractor dies on my property, I’m gonna sell his car if I don’t just decide to keep it for myself, and if I keep it, I’m using it. As seen in this episode, it vastly outclasses the biker and scooter gangs of Tatooine. But this was apparently sitting in the hangar the whole time. (Boba made multiple surveillance trips to the hangar and he never saw it in flight.)

I saw on another forum that it was absolutely bonkers that Boba made a trip into the sarlacc’s mouth after killing it to look for his armor when Fennec had a little flying surveillance droid available.

Edited by arc
  • Love 2
On 1/20/2022 at 12:14 AM, Cherpumple said:

So, in Star Wars world is "spice" just an illegal drug? If so, it really bums me out that when given room to play in a world as varied and rich as Stars Wars, the show runners seem to be going with a tired old story about rival gangs fighting over the drug trade. Yawn. Just because it's *in SPACE!* doesn't it make it any more interesting than the many other shows about gangs.

Every time they mention Spice, I think it's a crossover with Dune, where Spice is the key to space travel. That's such a key term from a major sci-fi epic, that I can't believe it's a simple illegal drug. It's making me nuts. 

• Love 1

Lucas has long acknowledged using Dune as a building block of the Galaxy far far away.

7 hours ago, arc said:

Actually, what was Bib Fortuna even doing with that ship? They all thought Boba Fett was dead years ago.

Bib probably viewed a Holocron of Pawn Stars and found out how rare Firesprays were. So he was just waiting for the value to keep increasing...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I can’t figure out why Boba was looking for his armor inside the Sarlacc pit. Doesn’t he remember that he was wearing it when he crawled out and that some Jawas took it off him?  Just makes him look even more stupid. This series is really not doing him any favors. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I can’t figure out why Boba was looking for his armor inside the Sarlacc pit. Doesn’t he remember that he was wearing it when he crawled out and that some Jawas took it off him?  Just makes him look even more stupid. This series is really not doing him any favors. 

He probably thought it was left behind. I don't think he remembered much about his escape from the Sarlacc pit and I believe he collapsed when he got out of there--he probably has no recollection of the Jawas showing up and taking his armor.

• Love 2
On 1/20/2022 at 3:07 PM, Yokosmom said:

I'm ok with this show, but damn, they are moving things along so slowly.

That's where I sit after episode 4. FWIW, I'm a consumer of Star Wars strictly through the movies, Clone Wars, and these new series. I don't know anything more about the universe than what I would have picked up from watching those things.

So what I want from this series is an interesting new world and a new set of characters developed around the titular character. Just like what they did with the Mandalorian.

And at this point in this series, I would have hoped we would have done a better job of introducing our team of heroes (so that I can be invested in them) and for God's sake, give me a villain and not just a bunch of vague threats. Who exactly is the bad guy?

Favreau should know better. If you're going to make a movie or a show about a hero, you damn well better give the audience a believable, tangible threat.

• Love 1

I liked this episode.  I thought the flashbacks fun and action pavked, tho the Saracen tongue grossed me out.

Black Krsstanan and Garsa are interesting characters.  I’m glad BK is on Boba’s team, nut I’m not sure I trust him.

it seemed like Boba was looking at Garsa with interest and admiration.  I could ship the, if I knew she was on the up & up.

Now the meet w/the tribal/city leaders was a bit lame.  He gave up everything for….nothing?  And you know at least one of those leaders is going to side w/the Pykes and or Twins.  But the show of force having the table seated over the Rancor pit was a brilliant move.  He didn’t need to do anything but the threat was obvious.  It’s not always abt proving yourself on the field of battle, but showing the force you have behind (under) you.

49 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I liked this episode.  I thought the flashbacks fun and action pavked, tho the Saracen tongue grossed me out.

Black Krsstanan and Garsa are interesting characters.  I’m glad BK is on Boba’s team, nut I’m not sure I trust him.

it seemed like Boba was looking at Garsa with interest and admiration.  I could ship the, if I knew she was on the up & up.

Now the meet w/the tribal/city leaders was a bit lame.  He gave up everything for….nothing?  And you know at least one of those leaders is going to side w/the Pykes and or Twins.  But the show of force having the table seated over the Rancor pit was a brilliant move.  He didn’t need to do anything but the threat was obvious.  It’s not always about proving yourself on the field of battle, but showing the force you have behind (under) you.

He gave up "everything" to get them to stay neutral and stay out of his way.  He knew damned well that if any of them joined him it would only be until they spotted a sufficiently good place on his back to stick a knife in.  By getting them to pledge neutralized he doesn't have to worry about them.  Any of them taking the field will by definition be an enemy.

18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Favreau should know better. If you're going to make a movie or a show about a hero, you damn well better give the audience a believable, tangible threat.

I wonder if this is my problem with the show, and why The Mandalorian worked and was a show I enjoyed, while I'm finding this show significantly less enjoyable. I keep hoping The Book of Boba Fett is just a slow start and will get better. I can't belieive the same creative team that did The Mandalorian is doing this show. The Mandalorian had a clear goal/through-line.

Spoiler

The Story arc of season 1 is about him protecting "the child" and season 2 is about him trying to return the child to his own kind.

Each episode there is a mission/monster of the week. The Book of Boba Fett doesn't have that. We're almost at the end of the season, and I still feel like I'm in the set-up phase. 

I've watched all of the Star Wars movies, but none of the TV series except The Mandalorian. I have never read any of the novels, comic books, or watched any of the animated series. 

This is a serious, honest, no snark question: For people who are way more into the franchise/ Star Wars universe than I am, are you enjoying The Book of Boba Fett? Is this a series that assumes/relies on a broader/wider knowledge of the Star Wars universe? (It's totally okay if it does. I'm just trying to figure why I vastly prefer one show over the other when it is the same creative team). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Wait, really? I don't remember that at all, but I guess I wasn't paying 100% attention.

Boba thought the branches were choking him, then he was being digested without his armour...

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 2:14 PM, Ottis said:

Also, if there is advantage to people thinking you are dead, perhaps you shouldn’t, for no reason at all, tell random robots/androids your name?

I actually though Boba was deliberately telling those droids his name as part of a strategy to create a mystique around himself and inspire fear.  So, yeah, that doesn't fit with a strategy of pretending to be dead.  Now I'm confused.

The flashbacks in this one were more interesting because it was just fun to see Fennec fight, but I agree she seems way smarter than Boba and I thought there would be more to the story to explain her intense loyalty.  I do like how the flashbacks are catching up to the timeline of "The Mandalorian", which could lead to some interesting "Meanwhile..." moments.  

I actually found this episode better than some of the previous ones (perhaps this show is just easier to take when binged since I might have been more impatient if I had to wait a week for each episode and then nothing much happens).  I don't care as much about the present-day plot, so I didn't mind spending most of it in flashback mode.  I suppose this episode sort of explained why Boba Fett wanted to take over the Jabba the Hutt's old job, though still not completely satisfactorily.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1