Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought I heard either Julie (was that her name?) or her mom say she was 36 weeks.

And how often do 36 week deliveries end up with underdeveloped organs/functions? Just want a perspective. She did seem small, but she sure wailed loudly enough!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Daff said:

And how often do 36 week deliveries end up with underdeveloped organs/functions? Just want a perspective. She did seem small, but she sure wailed loudly enough!

Back in the 60's, we were far behind in the treatment of preemies, so outcomes were worse than today.  First Lady Jackie Kennedy had given birth at 34+ weeks only a couple years earlier and the baby died of respiratory distress after a couple days.  Nowadays, after 34 weeks, a baby has the same chance of survival as a baby born at term, not so then.

It seemed like her water broke a while before the baby came which puts them at risk for infection.  Even at 36 weeks, babies can have RDS of prematurity, they are also prone to transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN), jaundice, feeding problems and other complications.  So, yes, even at 36 weeks, a baby's organs can be underdeveloped.

BTW, even much earlier than 36 weeks, a baby can be vigorous and cry loudly at birth, only to run out of gas and have severe breathing difficulties, even needed a ventilator within minutes.

• Useful 4

I didn't understand why Julie thought she could just ditch her singing career. How did she think that she was going to support her baby? Working nights meant that her mother would be free to help with childcare after work. Even after she got married, her husband wasn't going to be in town.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, lovesnark said:

Shelagh really struggled with her decision to leave the order. She tried really hard to fight her feelings for Patrick and even when she'd made the decision and was going to marry him, believed she didn't 'deserve' a wedding. You should definitely watch the early seasons!

This was a popular theme in books and movies in the 60s and 70s, a nun or Catholic priest struggling about love vs calling. Popular enough that Elvis Presly tried to entice Mary Tyler Moore away in Change of Habit.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, Kenzie said:

It took me back to the seventies when I was a teen to when people still got dressed up to go anywhere. I remember putting on a dress and checking my hair and makeup just to go to the mall. After all you might just run into someone you know.

My mother had a standing appointment at the hairdresser every Saturday.  Later in the week, when her hair lost its spring, she had a couple of wigs in her hairstyle so no one could tell.

Even in the 90s, I loved seeing the older ladies get all dressed up to go to the doctor,

20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It seemed ridiculous for the midwives to have to wear nylon stockings.

And the heels! That was the look of a professional woman but it must have been very uncomfortable by the end of the day.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2022 at 11:41 PM, Sarah 103 said:

When Fred was dealing with the meth drinkers I got a "there but for the grace of god go I" sort of feeling and I'm not sure why. Am I reading too much into it? Am I forgetting part of his backstory? 

I've been watching the first seasons. 

When Chummy's baby was born, she talked with Fred about her apprehension about being a good parent. 

Fred said he would have done anything to help his kids when their mother was killed in the Blitz, and he was deployed. He said his father wasn't around, drank, and being present was the most important thing about being a parent. That reassured Chummy, and she named her son for Fred.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 4/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, lovesnark said:

Shelagh really struggled with her decision to leave the order. She tried really hard to fight her feelings for Patrick and even when she'd made the decision and was going to marry him, believed she didn't 'deserve' a wedding. You should definitely watch the early seasons!

Yes, watch them! I just finished that season where Shelagh leaves and marries. I love that storyline.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:
On 1/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, MissLucas said:

The only thing I liked about that plot was Shelagh still having Timothy's letter.

What??? I didn't see that on PBS. 😒

I wondered about that as well.  Must have been one of those deleted scenes.  Hate that.

It was a brief scene after the scene where Trixie, Nancy and Phyllis tried to console Sister Hilda. Shelagh is at home in her living room, she opens a cupboard and takes out an old cookie tin can. Inside ar tokens from her past, her prayer book, a white ribbon and Tim's letter asking her to marry his Dad.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

It was a brief scene after the scene where Trixie, Nancy and Phyllis tried to console Sister Hilda. Shelagh is at home in her living room, she opens a cupboard and takes out an old cookie tin can. Inside ar tokens from her past, her prayer book, a white ribbon and Tim's letter asking her to marry his Dad.

Sweet I would have cried even more if I had seen that.

this episode ‘ there but for the Grace of God’ seems to apply.  Definitely a count your blessings episode.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, MissLucas said:

PBS must hate Tim. They always seem to cut scenes involving him.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, Badger said:

The show mentions racism quite a bit especially with Cyril and Lucille and their inability to find a house and his inability to find a job as a civil engineer.  There's one episode where he says that those things would be possible "in a just society" which indicates that he doesn't consider that they're currently living in one.

Also, didn't Julie say that that the only thing her father left her was the color of her skin and she didn't say it as though she thought it was a good thing. 

They also made reference to the fact that she had a difficult childhood - with her boyfriend/slash husband saying what amounted to that he'd had a difficult childhood, but not as difficult as hers. Which I think was a reference to her being bi racial. I thought it was a nice, subtle tip of the hat to reality.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, dubbel zout said:

I know! I remember as a kid wearing my Sunday best on airplanes, because that's what you did. That was also when candy was passed out before takeoff and landing to help with your ears. On one shortish flight, I got to help the flight attendants pass it out before landing. I had such fun!

On a military plane (military brat here), I got little wings and was given the responsibility of handing out forms to all the GIs. I was very proud. Also, they gave slippers to the passengers - kind of like the ones you get (still?) in hospitals.

19 hours ago, Daff said:

I have only anecdotal evidence - I was born at 34 weeks and was fine. Both of my children were born at 36 weeks and neither had any issues. So I guess I won the lottery.  Like everything else, it varies from person to person.

It was a moving episode, with the strong line of compassion I love about this show.

Sister Julienne wanted a stodgy commemoration, and that's what she got. I totally missed that the song was the "surprise."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, howiveaddict said:

Even Dr Turner looked like he was going to throw up.

If you had cc on, some of the sound effects were actually attributed to Fred throwing up! 

• Love 5

Two good episodes and then that dog's breakfast. Who is the editor of this show and how do they think 3 sec scenes build tension and emotion, Ugh , they suck, that is all I have to say. Except PSA:  please don't release balloons, it is so bad for wildlife as well as plastic breaking down in the environment.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

What??? I didn't see that on PBS

Haha are you new here? I see you are watching older seasons when the stories were allowed to grow, emotion was allowed to build and I cried every single week. Now we get a jumble of 3 sec scenes and gaps in the story because PBS makes edits so they can replay the same interviews over and over.

The 100th anniversary for Nonnatus House should have been a stand alone episode you would think👇

2 minutes ago, labresq said:

What was the "surprise" at the "party"?  Quotation marks are intentional.

I think all the flowers the community donated from their gardens to make a canopy but then it rained and made them all soggy but Trixie got her kiss so I guess that was the important

Edited by Blackie
spacing
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Haha are you new here? I see you are watching older seasons when the stories were allowed to grow, emotion was allowed to build and I cried every single week. Now we get a jumble of 3 sec scenes and gaps in the story because PBS makes edits so they can replay the same interviews over and over.

The 100th anniversary for Nonnatus House should have been a stand alone episode you would think👇

I think all the flowers the community donated from their gardens to make a canopy but then it rained and made them all soggy but Trixie got her kiss so I guess that was the important

Trixie’s part was arranging flowers (per the flower arranging “guru” of the period, but the donations from the community’s gardens were disappointing). I believe the “special” surprise was the entire community learning the song and singing it at the celebration, but that really didn’t turn out so well, either. It wasn’t balloons, because that was discussed in front of Sr. J during the planning. That said, for a surprise, it ended up being rather milquetoast. We only saw a lot of people looking at a sheet of paper, trying to follow along, singing out of tune, as if they’d been told at the last minute. So, you have to wonder, was it supposed to be a metaphor (the community did their best, and so do we because we accept them), was something left out, or did the writers miss the mark? 
The cases of the episode were well-done and typical fare, but the celebration story was simply baffling, especially since no one here can even identify the “special surprise”!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Daff said:

That said, for a surprise, it ended up being rather milquetoast. We only saw a lot of people looking at a sheet of paper, trying to follow along, singing out of tune, as if they’d been told at the last minute. So, you have to wonder, was it supposed to be a metaphor (the community did their best, and so do we because we accept them), was something left out, or did the writers miss the mark? 
The cases of the episode were well-done and typical fare, but the celebration story was simply baffling, especially since no one here can even identify the “special surprise”!

It's all because Shelagh sucks as party-planner!

Okay, I let the poor expired equinine rest now...

• LOL 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've watched every episode of every season and for all the gross scenes over the year nothing tops Bernard's foot coming off.  Ugh.

Oddly, given that it was dark and there wasn't really anything gory to see (like maggots), the scene didn't really gross me out - especially since I was expecting it. It was sad and horrible, but a fairly gentle visual. Then again, I've a cast iron stomach when it comes to most film/tv visuals. Except when it involves the eyes.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 4/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, Haleth said:

I've watched every episode of every season and for all the gross scenes over the year nothing tops Bernard's foot coming off.  Ugh.

Nancy dealt with the situation very well for someone so young, remaining composed as Fred was vomiting in the background.  I'm pretty sure I would have nightmares about it for the rest of my life. 

The one thing I always thought was unrealistic about Shelagh leaving the Order to marry Patrick was that there wasn't any negative reaction from the Poplar community about it.  I think there would have been a lot of gossip/malicious talk and they would have encountered those who thought that one or both of them acted inappropriately.  

• Love 4
On 4/5/2022 at 1:35 PM, Daff said:

36 weeks is late pre-term and some babies born at 36 weeks are absolutely fine and some babies born at 36 weeks have more difficulty and are at risk for RDS/jaundice/low birth weight/trouble regulating temperature ect.   Some babies will go home in a couple of days like they were born full term and some will require a little more intervention.  Female babies do better than male babies and black female babies do better than white female babies.   

• Useful 5
On 4/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, Calvada said:

The one thing I always thought was unrealistic about Shelagh leaving the Order to marry Patrick was that there wasn't any negative reaction from the Poplar community about it. 

There was negative reaction. A woman told Tim that Shelagh was doing it in "a hole-and-corner" way, and that it was as if Sister Bernadette was divorcing Jesus. Tim told Shelagh that when she was looking at her wedding outfit (when it was the grey suit and hat). Shelagh then hastily stuffed the outfit back in the box. Tim said, "You're doing that in a cross way." Shelagh responded, "I am cross, but not with you."

(I just watched that arc, which I love, the week before last.)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

There was negative reaction. A woman told Tim that Shelagh was doing it in "a hole-and-corner" way, and that it was as if Sister Bernadette was divorcing Jesus. Tim told Shelagh that when she was looking at her wedding outfit (when it was the grey suit and hat). Shelagh then hastily stuffed the outfit back in the box. Tim said, "You're doing that in a cross way." Shelagh responded, "I am cross, but not with you."

(I just watched that arc, which I love, the week before last.)

What does that mean? Secretly? Surreptitiously?

• Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, MartyQui said:

I don’t remember this show addressing alcoholism before…they did a good job with it.  

They have with Trixie. In early seasons she was always the bubbly young woman who served up cocktails and loved to drink with her friends.  This developed into an alcohol addiction. Didn’t she black out after breaking it off with Tom and drink after difficult days? Anyway, she went to meetings and is now sober, but the show still nods to it on occasion. 

• Applause 1