Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When Bob accidentally reveals Morenike is gay, Abishola and Kemi are forced to defend her against their church, and even their own families. Also, Douglas comes clean to Olivia about not being poor.

Airdate: 01/17/2022

How much do I love Uncle Tunde and Auntie Olu? They're just the best! I also love that Tunde faced down his family to be in a monogamous marriage with Olu. 🥰

Well, I hope "Down to Earth Doug's" relationship with the Bus Driver works out, but I'm not so sure it will. Wait until she finds out the people he was nice to on the bus are his Mom and Sister. Yikes!

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 11

First. Plot contrivance on Bob spilling the beans. If Abishola said it was a secret, Bob wouldn't have said anything to Chewy.

If Tunde and Olu were ok with their niece being a lesbian, why did they participate in the above 'pray the gay away'???

I love the bus driver and Douglas.  I sure hope they end up together.

Now they have to find someone for Christina.

• Love 8
Just now, greekmom said:

If Tunde and Olu were ok with their niece being a lesbian, why did they participate in the above 'pray the gay away'???

Family pressure… you saw the hold over them that her mother had.. until kimmi and Abishola questioned it then they realized how important to her it was and they have shown they will do ANYTHING for her her son and BOB 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, greekmom said:

First. Plot contrivance on Bob spilling the beans.

Sort of.  Chewy did say he knew the secret, so Bob believed he was on safe ground.  In an ideal world, Bob would have asked, "What secret?" instead of assuming.

Major props to Olu and Tunde for standing up for Morenike in the end.  It definitely got a little dusty in here when they all sat together in church.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

I suspect they were ambushed in their own home by the homophobic exorcism team and were kind of stuck with it.  The were sort of hovering anxiously and half-heartedly in the back rather than enthusiastically joining in.  Peer pressure and mob mentality are also powerful things, as is the desire to not piss off Abishola's mom....self-preservation instincts might have come into play there.  It was probably less consciously throwing Morenike under the bus and more smokescreen to preserve the status quo with that difficult woman.

Bob spilling the secret was a clumsy bit, usually he's more nuanced to the pitfalls of Nigerian culture, so that didn't ring true.  But it happened, so.....  I liked that in the kitchen scene Morenike didn't let Bob off the hook.  Yeah, he was truly sorry and made an abject apology, he's a good guy like that, and he really does feel awful.  But so does she.  That bit about calling and calling her family with no answer and she doesn't know if it is because she's utterly rejected or because they're busy, but her eyes were full of the pain of being shunned.  And Bob's eyes were filled with guilt and sorrow.  That was well done.

While I thought it was a bit high-handed that Bob and Abishola automatically assumed Morenike would come live with them because she was being shunned by the older Nigerians, but then I thought "they had the same impression we viewers had, that Olu and Tunde were in on the 'pray the gay away' scene, they had no reason to believe Morenike would have any support there."  So it was great when Olu and Tunde were astonished by the assumption and closed ranks around their niece.  Then the final bumper scene at the church, with both of them solidly at her side.....yeah.  Dusty here too.

• Love 16

I liked this episode.  Bob and Abishola were part of the plot, not just on the sidelines, and everyone had a part to play in it.  I hope Morenike doesn't end up paying for Bob's mistake.  I like the idea of her staying in the US, though.  And I love Doug and the bus driver.  That should be a fun plot.  

• Love 4

Uncle Tunde and Auntie Olu are the best, them walking into church with Morenike definitely made things go a little misty. Major props to them for standing with their niece, no matter what the old hens say. Sorry Aunt Olu...

Bob accidently outing Morenike felt a bit contrived, normally he is a lot more savvy then a fall into sitcom clichés, but I am glad that he gave a very sincere apology. And that Morenike didn't let him off the hook, while what he did was an accident and he clearly feels awful, what he did can still have major consequences for her life. 

• Love 4

I feel like, in some respects, Morenike should also be mad at Chukwuemeka. He is Nigerian. He knows what this means, even more than Bob does, and yet he told his mother knowing full well this would not end well for her. 

• Love 16
On 1/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, tennisgurl said:

Bob accidently outing Morenike felt a bit contrived, normally he is a lot more savvy

Realistically it would have made more sense for Doug to make the gay-outing gaffe, but it would have been less significant to the dynamics of the story if Doug outed Marenike, or it would have propelled the character of Doug into an unforgettable position. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, joanne3482 said:

I feel like, in some respects, Morenike should also be mad at Chukwuemeka. He is Nigerian. He knows what this means, even more than Bob does, and yet he told his mother knowing full well this would not end well for her. 

Yes, but being a "Momma's boy" and not being the sharpest socially-conscious pencil in the box, I can see Morenike not being surprised by Chukwuemeka's contribution to the possible end of her relations with her parents. 

Edited by shapeshifter
because typing "gaff" for "gaffe" is my most frequent gaffe
  • Love 3