Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Bean Town Wedding Throw Down

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, red12 said:

Has no one heard of the basketball player Hakeem Olajuwon? He's about the same generation as Katina's mom and I thought of him immediately when I heard Olajuwon's name.

AND the way Katina's mom went on and on about people accidently calling her daughter "Katrina", you would think she would show more sensitivity.

Posted about Hakeem, with Wikipedia  link, on p. 2. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:19 AM, Yeah No said:

That's why I record these shows on my DVR.  Life's too short.  I give it 20-30 minutes and then start watching so I can FF through the commercials and by the end I've caught up to the show in real time.

I've often joked that you'll have to pry my TiVo remote from my cold, dead hands!

• LOL 3
On 1/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, Empress1 said:

A real estate agent is a professional

Make some good commissions, he could buy many many horses! 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, princelina said:

Then say it - "I'm not attracted and I never will be - this won't work and I'm out." 

Yeah, didn't her family say she is "honest to a fault" or something like that? 

• Love 3
On 1/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, Yeah No said:

I know, I don't get the cowboy boots, we didn't even see that in the Texas MAFS.  They would be out of place here in CT horses or not and definitely out of place in MA.  We have horse farms all over around me, I've never seen cowboy boots.  Around here equestrian boots would be the thing.

That's why I record these shows on my DVR.  Life's too short.  I give it 20-30 minutes and then start watching so I can FF through the commercials and by the end I've caught up to the show in real time.

I do exactly the same thing!  I record on my DVR, and wait till it's been on for about 30 minutes.  I can FF through not only all the commercials, but all the recaps of last week.  My Xfinity DVR recordings now even have "commercial skips", so I can just push the FF button once, and it will auto-skip past the commercials.  Heaven.

And yeah, I don't get the cowboy boots.  I've lived in Texas my entire life, and not once have I been to a wedding where the bride wore boots.  Not even weddings at a ranch, and I've been to plenty.  Most recently, a friend's wedding at their ranch where they own about a dozen horses, and horses are their entire life.  The bride wore a lovely white dress with strappy gorgeous shoes because....um....she was the bride, not out for a ride that day.

Alyssa just wore boots so she could say "Do you like my boots?"  Ugh.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 1/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, Starlight925 said:

But the big difference, and to your point, is that Jamie never let Doug know how she felt initially, to spare his feelings…  Of course, now she's unemployed, living in a camper with multiple kids (including her husband, lol), but that's another story.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, Starlight925 said:

Speaking of Jamie Otis....can I say how refreshing Keshia Knight Pulliam is?

Whoa. I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Did Jamie get fired from “Unscripted,” or did she leave voluntarily?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, topanga said:

Whoa. I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Did Jamie get fired from “Unscripted,” or did she leave voluntarily?

She was apparently fired, and although I couldn't stand her on that show, they did it in a very cold, callous way.  She was getting ready to leave to film when she found out, and  it was not even the MAFS team that told her, but that a cast member mentioned it to her.

https://soapdirt.com/married-at-first-sight-jamie-otis-ghosted-learns-she-fired-from-unfiltered/

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

She was apparently fired, and although I couldn't stand her on that show, they did it in a very cold, callous way.  She was getting ready to leave to film when she found out, and  it was not even the MAFS team that told her, but that a cast member mentioned it to her.

https://soapdirt.com/married-at-first-sight-jamie-otis-ghosted-learns-she-fired-from-unfiltered/

Unfiltered—that’s the name. LOL 

Wow. That’s really cruel. Thanks for the link. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3
On 1/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, Blissfool said:

Lindsey basically told Mark he's not attractive. She was telling him how the other brides are foolish for expecting/wanting a muscular good-looking husband, but he's lucky because she know it's not all about looks. Gee, thanks.

Rachel did the same thing last season when she mentioned something about Jose's looks. She had to clarify what she meant, but I remember she did insult. him the same way.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Rachel did the same thing last season when she mentioned something about Jose's looks. She had to clarify what she meant, but I remember she did insult. him the same way.

Yes, Rachel said something about personality being more important than looks.  I'll never forget the look on Jose's face when she said that.  I know he acted like an ass going forward but at the moment I felt sorry for him.

Also, she wasn't exactly a 10 herself.  

• Love 6

I believe all of this happened, but 

1- which cast member broke the news to Jamie?

2- would they have had her fly out to LA and then let her know? I mean what 's up with that.?? 

I don't think I saw her season but in the photo above with her and her family. her husband looks very nicelooking. I thought people were acknowledging that he was not attractive ? 

Could be a flattering shot what do I know!

On 1/22/2022 at 6:55 AM, Starlight925 said:

But the big difference, and to your point, is that Jamie never let Doug know how she felt initially, to spare his feelings.  He was initially extremely attracted to her, so she went with it, put on her big girl panties, and decided that she'd let the process work the way it was intended to work.  Of course, now she's unemployed, living in a camper with multiple kids (including her husband, lol), but that's another story.

Everyone always uses Jamie as the example of overcoming initially being not attracted to her stranger spouse, but just because it worked for them doesn’t mean it will for everyone else if they “make an effort” so to speak. For one thing, Doug is one of the nicest guys ever on this show (moles and perpetual un/under employment notwithstanding), and beyond Jamie’s wanting to get married was a pathological need for family stability which Doug provided in spades. Not everyone is that desperate to the point of forcing themselves to like their new tv spouse. I would put ACE is this category. 
What I take exception to is how absolutely horrid some people have behaved towards their spouse. There is no reason to be rude and unkind which is also the category ACE is in.

I cannot fathom why people can’t just have a discussion when the cameras are not there and come to an understanding to enjoy the extra money and experience and play nice for filming. Why does it always have to get so messy? Game the system and then go separate ways after the 8 weeks!

• Like 1
  • Love 11

What I take exception to is how absolutely horrid some people have behaved towards their spouse. There is no reason to be rude and unkind which is also the category ACE is in.

This.

In some cases, one spouse is so horrid that I can see not wanting to spend any time with him/her (Chris of Chris and Paige; Zach of Zach and Mindy; Luke of Luke and Kate; Matt of Matt and Amber). But for a lot of these mismatches, I don't see a reason they can't be civil, if not friendly, and enjoy the experience for what it is.

I think ACE has a lot of misplaced indignation and anger. I see a lot of "how dare they even think that I would match with this person" and also anger that she wanted to be married to her perfect match and she's not. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

I don't think I saw her season but in the photo above with her and her family. her husband looks very nicelooking. I thought people were acknowledging that he was not attractive ? 

Could be a flattering shot what do I know!

His face had several large moles.  Also, although he was pleasant looking, Jamie had just come off of a stint on both The Bachelor AND one of the Bachelor spin-offs (Summer in Paradise maybe?) so I think she was expecting much better 😄

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Retired at last said:

but she didn't mean it the way it came out, or that was my impression at least

whereas, this woman did

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

This.

In some cases, one spouse is so horrid that I can see not wanting to spend any time with him/her (Chris of Chris and Paige; Zach of Zach and Mindy; Luke of Luke and Kate; Matt of Matt and Amber). But for a lot of these mismatches, I don't see a reason they can't be civil, if not friendly, and enjoy the experience for what it is.

I think ACE has a lot of misplaced indignation and anger. I see a lot of "how dare they even think that I would match with this person" and also anger that she wanted to be married to her perfect match and she's not. 

Yeah I agree that some people are unhinged assholes that don't deserve the time or energy to even have a superficial relationship even on a friend basis, including all of the guys you named. Most of the time, I think the "experts" are sympathetic and understanding towards the injured spouse as PC has even said in the past that they can't make people leave (which implies they have advised it). Even though I don't think they would force interaction with these people, I absolutely wouldn't put it past the producers. They clearly don't care about the emotional damage being caused and love every minute of the drama.....

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Yeah I agree that some people are unhinged assholes that don't deserve the time or energy to even have a superficial relationship even on a friend basis, including all of the guys you named. Most of the time, I think the "experts" are sympathetic and understanding towards the injured spouse as PC has even said in the past that they can't make people leave (which implies they have advised it). Even though I don't think they would force interaction with these people, I absolutely wouldn't put it past the producers. They clearly don't care about the emotional damage being caused and love every minute of the drama.....

A lot of the mis-matched drama seems mean and deliberate in the past few seasons. Whether it’s matching a basketball player with a woman the size of an Olympic gymnast or matching a guy with questionable teeth to a woman who’s obsessed with nice teeth. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, cinsays said:

but she didn't mean it the way it came out, or that was my impression at least

Rachel said something about him having the personality she really wanted & that looks never mattered to her. I can see it coming across as insulting, but I didn't think she meant it that way either, I think she meant it more like she had a personality in mind that she fantasized about being matched with, but she didn't fantasize about him looking a certain way.

• Love 3

While I don't think Rachel meant to insult Jose, she could have quickly come back by saying something like "I'm glad I got matched with someone with personality and looks."  Instead, she just left things hanging.  Now maybe she said something like that later off camera, but at that moment Jose looked stunned and hurt.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

While I don't think Rachel meant to insult Jose, she could have quickly come back by saying something like "I'm glad I got matched with someone with personality and looks."  Instead, she just left things hanging.  Now maybe she said something like that later off camera, but at that moment Jose looked stunned and hurt.   

I actually gasped when she said that. I felt so bad for Jose at that moment. 

• Love 4
On 1/21/2022 at 9:43 AM, cinsays said:

I dislike Alyssa at least as much as the rest of you but we really don't know what the discussion with her dad about walking her down the aisle was. Maybe it was his idea to just walk her to the door and then sit down at the back.  He was at her wedding and maybe that was all that was important to both of them.

That’s true.  Maybe it was his idea to stay in the background for some reason.  I jumped the gun.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, Starlight925 said:

And yeah, I don't get the cowboy boots.  I've lived in Texas my entire life, and not once have I been to a wedding where the bride wore boots.  Not even weddings at a ranch, and I've been to plenty.  Most recently, a friend's wedding at their ranch where they own about a dozen horses, and horses are their entire life.  The bride wore a lovely white dress with strappy gorgeous shoes because....um....she was the bride, not out for a ride that day.

Alyssa just wore boots so she could say "Do you like my boots?"  Ugh.

That's where I got confused - I kept thinking that they were in Houston where it might make sense. But, no - they are in BOSTON!

I do have to say that a friend of mine got married wearing cowboy boots in Arizona, but it was just the two of them and her husband wore jeans, so I guess why not?

• Love 2
On 1/20/2022 at 12:57 AM, Blissfool said:

I don't like all the What are your intentions with my daughter? Noi's brother was especially awkward during that line of questioning. He tried acting all tough and out of character, then changed it up with, well you're married so do whatever you want.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:21 PM, TzuShih said:

Good grief.  What is UP with that?  I'm thinking back to my younger sister's marriage (many moons ago), and I KNOW that my parents were very 'concerned' about her husband-to-be (his big-shot attitude, snide "humor," etc).  But they got through it all with grace and remained classy throughout.  The LAST thing they would have said to this sad sack of a son-in-law was: "What are your intentions with my daughter?!?!"  😟

As the cliché goes: "Who DOES that??"

I agree.  I like that about as much as I enjoy all the questions asking "Did you do it?" the morning after the weddings at the brunches with the families.  UGH.  And I also dislike the habit production has of setting up shots of the bridesmaids "waking up" the brides on the mornings of their weddings.  SO FAKE and ridiculous.  I would honestly punch someone in the face if they did that, so I'm sure those are staged interactions. 

The whole show is scripted.  LOL.  🙄  

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 6
On 1/23/2022 at 7:18 PM, Elizzikra said:

Except that in all of those mentioned, the women wanted to be with their spouses! It was the jerky men who didn't, but came around enough for sex and filming requirements (except for Zach - he wasn't jerky enough to have sex with Mindy).

• Love 2
On 1/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, cardigirl said:

I agree.  I like that about as much as I enjoy all the questions asking "Did you do it?" the morning after the weddings at the brunches with the families.  UGH. 

Ironically, of all the in-laws, it was Alyssa's mom and sister who kept it classy.  (Altho Alyssa, herself, makes me shudder!!)  I have to question the "taste level" of many of these couples/families that the "Experts" chose each season. 😕

• Love 1
On 1/20/2022 at 12:10 PM, psychoticstate said:

I understand that we all have a type or types.  And sure, you want to immediately be attracted to your MAFS spouse at first sight -- but when you sign up you should realize that in all likelihood, you aren't going to be matched with what you consider your type.  

ESPECIALLY if you've watched a few seasons and gotten to know THE EXPERTS!  😬

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Alyssa is worse than Zack. At least Zack played nice the first night. This is crazy. How do the experts keep getting it so wrong? I mean, not only matching Alyssa & Chris but matching her with ANYONE! She's a train wreck.

• Love 1

I am way behind because for the first time this show finally slowed my interest enough to not watch in real time, but while Chris' teeth are not perfect, I would have paid them no attention had they not started focusing on them because of Alyssa. I think that sealed the deal for her at first sight and the things his groomsmen said gave her the out she was looking for to use as an excuse while trying to not completely look superficial.

• Love 1