Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: The Teflon Queen

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, KateHearts said:

He isn't empathetic, or sorry, or regretful that he didn't see his family or explain his rules- he's ANGRY that anyone question him! EVER!

Even though this was the first "discussion" between Kootie & Gabe, Kootie still didn't explain the rules or himself. He never even finished a sentence, he'd pivot to something else.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Madding crowd said:

I think he has been ignoring his other wives for awhile now but something else is driving this extreme anger. Maybe it’s financial problems or maybe Robyn is issuing ultimatums but his fury is more than COVID. 

I think it's loss of control.  COVID made it blatantly obvious that he's lost control of three of the four households.  He may have been a huge part of driving them that way, but he still wants to play god and have them all bow down and go yes master tell us and we'll do it.  Instead it's buzz off you fool in one form or another.

• Love 24

One thing that stood out to me this episode is how they were able to do an outdoor activity together to have this conversation for the cameras.  They each drove there in their own cars.  So what was stopping Kody from meeting his kids in outdoor places to do fun activities together.  Baseball, crocket, make your own obstacle course.  Activities that can be done that are fun quality time together where you can have conversations 6 feet apart.  Where you could have met the girlfriend...

And put on a hazmat suit once a week to hug and cuddle each of your wives.  

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, Castina said:

One thing that stood out to me this episode is how they were able to do an outdoor activity together to have this conversation for the cameras.  They each drove there in their own cars.  So what was stopping Kody from meeting his kids in outdoor places to do fun activities together.  Baseball, crocket, make your own obstacle course.  Activities that can be done that are fun quality time together where you can have conversations 6 feet apart.  Where you could have met the girlfriend...

And put on a hazmat suit once a week to hug and cuddle each of your wives.  

True.  That heavy log lifting isn’t a wise idea though.  My family members tell me a hernia is no fun!  😩  What what they doing anyway?  Putting heavy logs in a row?  It seemed like Kody was groaning and wincing, and the sons weren’t even breaking a sweat. Lol

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, MsTree said:

Kody, your grown son is crying in pain, and you can't even give him a reassuring hug. What a piece of shit you are.

This was the first thing my wife pointed out during that scene. Her words: "I guess he can't hug his clearly hurting kid because he has to run back and spoon with Robyn." Sure enough, she crawled into his jacket when he got home (that he didn't change upon reentering the house, even allowing the children to hug him!)

• LOL 3
  • Love 20
40 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I keep wondering why Kody wants people to see him like this. 

Because it brings in viewers.  We are on page 4 of comments for a program that was on less than 48 hours ago.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, notnowimbusy said:

I think poor Gabe was wrong about one thing - it is Robyn calling the shots.  She is nattering in Kody's ear all day/night.   She whips up his anger, plants doubts about anybody else following his rules, makes the neurotic behavior of her kids all about their love for Kody, their constant need to have him there, and I'm sure she has made any suggestion of intimacy with another wife out of the question.   Covid has worked out perfectly for Robyn.   She can deny it all she wants, but if Covid ended tomorrow, there is no way Kody would return to spending time at anybody else's house.   And Robyn will always remind him how they were not loyal to him.  

That’s her master plan exactly. She will of had 2 (maybe 3 years) to milk Covid as the reason to stay away. That’s long enough for her to poison his mind and totally alienate him.

It reminds me of a abusers. The early signs are they slowly alienate them from their family and friends. Sometimes by convincing the victim that the abuser is the only one who really cares about them. I believe Robin is taking a page from that playbook. As you said, she is convincing him that she is the only wife who obeys him. Which ironically, I’m sure, are her rules that she convinced him were his in the first place. So they’re very easy to follow when you’re the one who made them. And by extension, her children are the only ones who respect their dad. I want to say she is super stealth for this long con. But I won’t give her credit. Kody just happens to be an idiot and easily fooled. 

Edited by Awfarmington
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20

One thing that bothered me was when Kody says Janelle and Christine are a clique and they exclude part of the family.

I don't believe that Janelle and Christine excluded anyone.  I think they recognized that they needed a bubble with at least two older adults.

Kody and Robyn had each other, Meri and the nanny--four adults while asking Christine and Janelle to be alone except for the once weekly 12 hour visit from Kody.

I guess he thinks that's enough for anyone.

Except it isn't.  Only Robyn wants that.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18

I thought Kody hit the lowest of the low when he wasn’t with Ysabel during her surgery BUT the way he responded to Gabe was sinful.  The kid was literally crying for a hug.  A hug.  How could he not have given his flesh and blood a….hug?  Despicable man!  

Allow me to add:  I wish the camera person would have turned off the camera and walked away during this part of the scene.  It was sooooo raw and personal.  I’m probably fooling myself but, it could have possibly ended with an embrace if they weren’t being filmed.  

Edited by tinderbox
Additional comment
  • Love 15

Kody wants Janelle to kick Garrison and Gabe out of the house.  Kody wanted Ysabel to live in pain because of COVID.  

Kody wants the mothers to do the dirty work and be more, as he says, more 'patriarchal.' Translation--do what Kody says and be grateful for scraps.

• Love 24

What in the cat hair are they gonna need all these peeled trees for? If Kody runs his sons off, Robyn and Janelle sure can’t help with a barn raisin’. What with all this talk about greenhouses and uses for homegrown lumber, I’m wondering if they’ve started plans to build an apocalypse compound. And doesn’t Kody have a convenient supply of weaponry? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Finally watching.  Gabe needs to walk away before Kody does any more damage.  Kody should count himself lucky if any of his kids with Meri, Christine, and Janelle even bother showing up at his funeral.  

::smh::  I've seen parents diss kids like Kody did Gabe and by the time they're 30 they've all disconnected.  The kids realize they aren't being heard, aren't being considered, and it's all about the parent.  Kody was once again all I, me, my, etc and that's a road to being cut out.  

• Love 23
23 hours ago, deirdra said:

I live 3000 miles from my brother and haven't seen him in 2 years, but when his kids were little he'd show them my photo so they'd recognize me at Christmas.

And, its not like there is a lack of photographs of the Kody Brown Family. Online, on tv..maybe in Grody and Goblyn's Gihugic house.

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, Pooky said:

I hope the other wives all move on and leave them to it. Let them have each other. 

In a weird sort of way, at least the wives have a choice to move on, find love, get therapy, be happy, etc.  But what about the hurt and mentally injured kids of this piece of shit (I’m not even wasting an acronym on him - it’s worth spelling out)?  Gabe can’t pick up and find a new dad because this one let him down and broke his heart by replacing him and shoving it in his face.  Neither can Savannah, Truley, Ysabel or any of the other precious little souls he has damaged.  Yes, they can get therapy and move on in time, but they will never have a dad.

• Love 13

Every episode Kody gets worse and worse. This last one was heartbreaking for Gabe. Seeing him in pain and tears in his eyes, so so sad. Kody used to act like he loved every single one of his kids and used to look like he was a good dad. But here comes the wicked witch of the west, to destroy the whole family.  She is evil. Kody has changed so much since being with Sobbyn. And not in a good way. It's so annoying that he keeps saying his wives were "vacationing ". Those were no vacations to anybody but him. It's so obvious that Sobbyn only cares about her kids and doesn't give a shit about all the others. Kody not going to Ysabel's surgery was unforgivable.  When Day-un ( this is how Robyn says it) has minor surgery on his eyelid she made sure the whole house was there to greet him with a pizza party and fawn all over him. It was a huge deal to Robyn and she made sure everyone knew. Where was all if this caring and sympathy for Ysabel? And for his granddaughter? 

• Love 24
14 hours ago, 65mickey said:

So the show was filmed in 12/20. When did she throw out Kody? Did she live in Flagstaff for most of 2021? I had the impression that she moved back to Utah in the fall of 2021. It's understandable why we get confused on the timeline because we are looking at what happend over a year ago.

Christine's house was Sold on 10/08/21 if that helps the timeline.   Maybe those boxes were only packed up because she was getting ready to move?

• Useful 3

WTH? Poor Gabe pouring his broken heart on his sleeve. You can see he loves and needs his dad. Did Kodass reciprocate? Does He say, "I love you so much, Gabe. I've missed you. I will do anytime to see you. You're my son and your emotional needs are imputation to me."?? Nope. Instead, he gets,  "Your mom is a Teflon Queen. I'm the head of the family. COMPLY!!!"

That was raw emotional abuse. My heart hurts for Gabe. I hope they were just acting for the tv. 

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 1

Ultimately it's on Kody. His failure to communicate (or so we should believe) is the reason that Gabe and Garrison seemingly didn't understand why daddy couldn't spend the night. But of course the "pink elephant" remains -  a phone? a hike? more BBQ's? more log peeling? There is zero explanation offered to us viewers as to why Kody and the boys didn't get together in other covid friendly ways. Thes are adult children - they don't need a sleepover. They just need connections. Why weren't there any?

I still say there was some sort of break, something that made Kody stop contacting them or reaching out. Gabe admitted that other family members had lied about the precautions they were or were not taking. Perhaps that was Garrison who in fairness did indicate that he'd be willing to just lie and "play dads games." Because we know Kody stayed at Janelles for at least 5 days when Hunter was there - so what changed?

Inconsistencies. Gabe claimed it was 7-8 months since they had contacted but of course we saw them at the "gender" reveal and the bbq. Kody was seemingly too busy to talk OFF camera? Something else is going on. Gabe said he didn't know what the protocols were but then later said he did quarantine for two weeks to see Kody. Which is true because Kody was with them when Hunter was there. I do not buy for one second that this wasn't all discussed over and over again -just not on camera. TLC is just using this as some sort of plot device. And it's probably true that Kody completely passed the buck to the moms and at some point just stopped talking to everyone because he was "too mad about loyalty."

Interesting too. The cliques.  According to Gabe, Christine and Janelle would be willing to get covid (not to mention spread it to others) for a whole family hug. Meanwhile Kody and Robyn are still wiping down packages. Opposite ends. But STILL doesn't answer why no phone calls, weekly BBQ,s hikes and contact existed.

My last thought though is about a word Kody used to describe the other clique: "Bullying" Hmm where did that word come from? I will give you one guess.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

I think poor Gabe was wrong about one thing - it is Robyn calling the shots.  She is nattering in Kody's ear all day/night.   She whips up his anger, plants doubts about anybody else following his rules, makes the neurotic behavior of her kids all about their love for Kody, their constant need to have him there, and I'm sure she has made any suggestion of intimacy with another wife out of the question.   Covid has worked out perfectly for Robyn.   She can deny it all she wants, but if Covid ended tomorrow, there is no way Kody would return to spending time at anybody else's house.   And Robyn will always remind him how they were not loyal to him.  

This is spot on.  

I really feel for the nonRobyn kids.  I am glad they have supportive moms and siblings, because their dad is a spoiled narcissist.

I'm so glad I can come to this forum and read your comments.  You all have said exactly what I have been thinking.  If I didn't have this outlet, I think my head would explode during one of Kody's asinine confessionals!

• Love 20
16 hours ago, lamadeleine said:

Here's a question- at some point last season, the camera crew had to bail because of Covid, which left the Browns to supposedly do all their own filming...are we to believe that that is still the case for this season's episodes, because it sure doesn't seem like it.

You can clearly tell which bits were filmed with a mobile phone or by themselves and which were done by a professional crew. Also, there have been references on the internet to film crews being present. So I guess the crew is doing most of the filming again (with precautions)

This is just one example that clearly shows how Kody uses his Covid-protocol to fit his needs and uses it when convenient. He never gets out of the house because of Covid, unless when he's out and about and drives around (which is most of the time). And nobody can come in, apart from the camera crew and the nanny. And then there's Robyn's VS trips.. The list is endless.. 

It's my guess that Janelle, Christine and Meri did believe his lies about strict Covid protocols for a time but as time progressed, they caught him out every single time. Not to mention the bits where the show is involved, so when he's filming outside or is surrounded by film crew...

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I keep wondering why Kody wants people to see him like this. He is always angry now, always complaining and just seems to hate his life. I’m not sure he is even happy with Robyn. 

8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Because it brings in viewers.  We are on page 4 of comments for a program that was on less than 48 hours ago.  

Same question here though I fully agree with Cetacean about bringing in viewers. There are plenty examples of people giving up everything and selling their souls to the devil for some extra fame and money.

However, what I find truly mind-boggling is how you can use your kids to achieve that. No, use is the wrong word...How he humiliates and abuses his kids and inflicts permanent damage on them, just to gain a few bucks and attract extra viewers.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

Same question here though I fully agree with Cetacean about bringing in viewers. There are plenty examples of people giving up everything and selling their souls to the devil for some extra fame and money.

However, what I find truly mind-boggling is how you can use your kids to achieve that. No, use is the wrong word...How he humiliates and abuses his kids and inflicts permanent damage on them, just to gain a few bucks and attract extra viewers.

Re viewers. Scrolled back through past few seasons. Most episodes garnered between 5 and 10 pages of comments. Read upthread that ratings are up,  who of us are not hate watching? As LilyD says, Kody is selling his soul and future fambly relationships. Not an ounce of compassion or empathy shown to Gabe. Sorry excuse for a man, father, husband, man.

Edited by BAForever
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

There are plenty examples of people giving up everything and selling their souls to the devil for some extra fame and money.

And don't get me wrong, I think Kootie is a heinous excuse for a human being, but don't forget that all of the wives signed on the dotted line for this shit show.  He wasn't alone in selling his soul,  they all did knowing full well that they were also selling the souls of their children.

None of them get a pass from me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
28 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

And don't get me wrong, I think Kootie is a heinous excuse for a human being, but don't forget that all of the wives signed on the dotted line for this shit show.  He wasn't alone in selling his soul,  they all did knowing full well that they were also selling the souls of their children.

None of them get a pass from me.

Agree. However, the only one who is behaving like an absolute douche bag and completely drags everyone through the mud is Kody. Yes, the wives signed up too, but I can’t help but wonder if they’re not bitterly regretting it now when seeing how heart-breakingly cruel it has become). They might want to pull out, but can they? What if they signed a deal for a couple of seasons and face a hefty fine if they pull out? (Just pondering on this thought here.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

13 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Kody was correct that obeying was important in his marriage to Robyn. He just has absolutely no awareness that he is the one obeying her in all things and at all times.

So much this.  For those that think Robyn isn't smart, this right here is why I disagree.  Now granted, her main target of manipulation is a narcissistic dorkwaffle manchild who cares more about his hair than his children, but give the Dark Queen credit for not only pulling Kody's puppet strings, but managing to keep all three wives content with Robyn's scraps for this long, and also for keeping his non-Robyn children at arms' length as well.  That's a lot of people to manipulate at one time.  No wonder she's so exhausted.

13 hours ago, 65mickey said:

He has said it before that Robyn has been bullied. That she is sweet and obedient and that the other wives and their children have bullied her. 

Again, well-played, Robyn.  Also, you're damaging your kids to the point where I will be stunned if any of them ever leave your house - at this point, if anyone looks at Aurora sideways she's likely to get the vapors - so you'd better start working on a way to keep that mansion when SW goes off the air.  An RV or a log shack on Plague Pond is going to get a bit crowded for 7 people.

12 hours ago, ezzy4 said:

Yep. That's exactly how to keep family dysfunction going...make sure no one actually has the information to resolve any of the conflict.

Besides how would Kody be able to remain a victim if things were resolved.

Lack of resolution assures lack of accountability. 

+1,000 to all of this.  Chaos is Kody Brown's specialty.  

• Love 19
8 hours ago, crimson23 said:

Christine's house was Sold on 10/08/21 if that helps the timeline.   Maybe those boxes were only packed up because she was getting ready to move?

No, what we're watching was Christmas, 2020.  The boxes were there just after that.  She packed Kody out maybe January, 2021.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I wonder if Kody would have been able to be as horrible as he is today seen on tv with his children if he had never met Robyn. I can't imagine that he was always that awful cause in the first years (even still the later Vegas days) he seemed to have a normal relationship to all of his kids and seemed really to care about them all.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, Noergli said:

I wonder if Kody would have been able to be as horrible as he is today seen on tv with his children if he had never met Robyn. I can't imagine that he was always that awful cause in the first years (even still the later Vegas days) he seemed to have a normal relationship to all of his kids and seemed really to care about them all.

I wonder where Kody would have quarantined if there were no Robyn? We know not with Janelle or Christine-- Meri?  Would he have been willing to work out a compromise with the other wives and kids--being careful but not Felix Unger-anal retentive-scared shitlesss careful?

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I wonder where Kody would have quarantined if there were no Robyn? We know not with Janelle or Christine-- Meri?  Would he have been willing to work out a compromise with the other wives and kids--being careful but not Felix Unger-anal retentive-scared shitlesss careful?

I think Robyn is the one that worked him up into a zero tolerance frenzy because she/her kids had childhood illnesses.

I think Kody and the wives would have worked together to find comfortable common ground.

He would have continued his rotation through COVID.  And without Robyn there would have been no catfish so Meri would still have been in the mix.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 21
13 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I think Robyn is the one that worked him up into a zero tolerance frenzy because she/her kids had childhood illnesses.

I think Kody and the wives would have worked together to find comfortable common ground.

He would have continued his rotation through COVID.  And without Robyn there would have been no catfish so Meri would still have been in the mix.

That's true, I agree that if there had been no Robyn (or any fourth wife) there likely would have been no catfish. I've always believed that if Kody had been treating Meri decently as a true wife and not just a place to crash and watch pay-per-view away from Robyn's kids--she would not have been as vulnerable to the catfish.

Kody had the luxury and option to hide away in his mansion with Robyn and her family. He did not go out to work, either. I guess Robyn's kids are all homeschooled? Because by the time this was filmed kids here in PA (and in NJ where my niece is a teacher) were back in the buildings with masks on (or hybrid, part-time.)

Kody wanted his whole family to adhere to ALL of HIS rules--not just CDC guidelines-- 100% of the time, all for the privilege of his infrequent visits.

Edited by Adiba
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Just Wondering said:

I just got got around to watching this ep. 

Brutal.

I need to process other thoughts for a bit,  but my immediate take away, because it’s the last thing I saw, was Kody actually trying to come over to Christine’s to visit his kids after telling her he was done with her body.  When monogamous couples can no longer stand sleeping together they split and have separate visitation with children - even during COVID. But Kody thinks he can avoid bringing Christine’s filthy children to his happy home by visiting them at the ex’s house for convenience and protocol’s sake. If this doesn’t speak volumes about the disrespect he has for women, I don’t know what does. If you’re leaving a woman, leave her - and stop trying to trick her and the god you claim to serve. 

Kody is such a coward because of this; he strings along the wives, forcing them to make the decision to split; in his statement on social media about the divorce w/Christine, he says she decided “to leave”. As if he was committed  to her in any way. Another one of his manipulative maneuvers. 
He is only in love with Sobbyn, and all of the hot air he blows is to skirt around that increasingly obvious fact. 

• Love 16
16 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I keep wondering why Kody wants people to see him like this. He is always angry now, always complaining and just seems to hate his life. I’m not sure he is even happy with Robyn. Robyn also seems depressed, doesn’t seem intelligent and dresses like she is a secretary from 1980. I think he has been ignoring his other wives for awhile now but something else is driving this extreme anger. Maybe it’s financial problems or maybe Robyn is issuing ultimatums but his fury is more than COVID. 

While we discuss what is on camera as well as tidbits from social media we do have to keep in mind what was going on in the world August 2020 to January 2021. We aren't allowed to discuss the topics that are most likely to have had a hand in the extreme anger that has been fueled in Kody.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Noergli said:

They would probably still be in Lehi, in their old home.   Janelle would be building herself a retirement pension  at the same job she had. Her kids would have  health insurance. Meri and Christine might even have actual jobs.  There would  only be 13  offspring and most would be out of the home or at least out of school/college.  Since all 3 wives would be in the same building, everyone living there would be together on a daily basis even during covid.  
The TV show would have been cancelled after a couple seasons. 

it’s possible some of the adult offspring would be in polygamous relationships since the parents issues might not  have been as apparent as on TV, Vegas or Flagstaff.  
However Kody would still have a bad relationship with his adult offspring because he would not be able to back off the field of play and become a background player in their lives. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14

While we discuss what is on camera as well as tidbits from social media we do have to keep in mind what was going on in the world August 2020 to January 2021. We aren't allowed to discuss the topics that are most likely to have had a hand in the extreme anger that has been fueled in Kody.

I think what fuels Kody's anger is no longer being in control of his wives and kids. For years, the only wife who gave him any grief was Meri. Christine stayed in the basement providing free childcare, and Janelle never asks Kody for anything. This "rebellion" as Kody perceives it, is what is causing his anger. That and I suspect the stress of dealing with 4 wives and 18 kids is finally catching up to him. It's too much work for an active person, and Kody is lazy as hell. And Kody's ego can't handle being challenged. I don't think it has much of anything to do with the pandemic. They were headed in this direction before that. 

It would have been nice if Kody had traveled to Wyoming WITH Janelle, and then stayed longer at her house while she was grieving at Christmastime. Tell me about the "perks" of polygamy again?

We had a conversation about figurines on one of the other threads, and now I keep seeing ads for Lladro on this web site, LOL.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

There are at least two things that have doomed this family

1.  Being on a reality show.  Name one candid reality show about families that hasn’t ended in either scandal or the breakdown of the family 

2.  Kody bringing in a 4th wife so many years after wife 3.  Long term marriages have different feel then a new one.  Kody was giddy over Robyn from day 1 and the family was already on shaky ground from constant moves, financial instability and Meri being Meri. 

now Kody is driving his kids away 

Only one I can think of that didn’t implode is The Little Couple. And I was a bit worried when they renewed their vows. That’s usually the kiss of death. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, Just Wondering said:

What in the cat hair are they gonna need all these peeled trees for? If Kody runs his sons off, Robyn and Janelle sure can’t help with a barn raisin’. What with all this talk about greenhouses and uses for homegrown lumber, I’m wondering if they’ve started plans to build an apocalypse compound. And doesn’t Kody have a convenient supply of weaponry? 

And why didn't Kootie bring Day-un along to help peel logs?  Won't Robyn let him out of the house?  

Fuck you, Kootie.  Fuck you, Robyn.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

It would have been nice if Kody had traveled to Wyoming WITH Janelle, and then stayed longer at her house while she was grieving at Christmastime. Tell me about the "perks" of polygamy again?

This is such good point.  In the weeks following my mother's death (and she had had a very long life), it was so important to me, and comforting, to be surrounded by family who knew and loved her.  Husband included.  Kody's lack of empathy toward the non-Robyns crosses into the realm of cruelty.  

• Love 16