Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: The Teflon Queen

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Starlight22 said:

I didn’t think it was possible to despise King Kodouche more, but I’m proven wrong tonight. My heart broke for Gabe. What a mature and strong young man, and to hear him say he and his siblings were jealous of Robyn for getting to see Kody more than they do was just so sad, especially considering Kody didn’t seem to even register how tragic that comment is. His true colors were revealed when Gabe said he quarantined for two weeks from his girlfriend so that he could see Kody and you could see him fumbling to explain his way out of that one; looks like he knew but decided not to see Gabe anyway— and his excuse? That he doesn’t know who he can trust! What a sick dude.

Now Kody’s not beating around the bush about things at all; he likes Robyn best because she’s obedient to him! Wonder how she feels seeing these episodes…

Very happy to see Christine getting stronger and confident in herself. 

Heartbreaking about Janelle’s mom. When Janelle was saying her mom wanted to be with her husband in heaven, was she referring to Winn? I assume so but was not totally sure… 

He quarantined from his girlfriend, who has herself been isolating. But no, that’s not good enough. Kody doesn’t even know her name. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

As someone who had a poor relationship with their father (never apologized, made me cry, made me feel not good enough, would not communicate anything except I was wrong, I was at fault—on and on), the effects last forever. When my dad died a couple years ago, I had nothing to mourn except the fact we never had a relationship that was normal or caring. To this day, I feel like I was just…..unwanted. 

My heart goes out to Gabe. it’s so sad and it doesn’t need to be this way. Kody is a monster. 

For me replace father with mother. I have only a couple blurry "snaps" of memory of my father. Both my husband and I have our own matched luggage that we drag around from our families.

This entire season is one trigger after another for both of us. Since I made the leap with Discovery to watch this season and my husband and I now watch together. It opens up so many cans of worms. At least we can support ourselves and "validate" each other, but watching Gabe keep his cool and Kody pushed and pushed with zero ability to actually listen to his son and to hear what he was saying. All Kody cares about is pushing people until they just give up and agree with him. He doesn't want a discussion, he just wants compliance.

Thank the gods that these kids have each other to turn to. That they have their mothers and significant others to help them heal as adults.

• Love 22

Another lurker, if seldom poster here~ 

I think Kody liked his kids early in this series because he could stand in a crowd of them, flapping his arms like a mad Father Goose, Christine cheering him on with the affect of a groupie. Hijinks! Hilarity! 

Barf.

It looked comfortable for Janelle to have a part time husband and a partnership parent with Christine, while Meri was good to have alone time for her brooding. I couldn’t live that plyg scene, but I sorta got the upside better.

Now I ping a little for Meri because she realizes she destroyed the whatever identity she had in this club, and that is an awful feeling. But teensy little pinging sympathy. 

I keep flashing on her smug smiles before she got the Sam truth. At some restaurant the wives were talking about their struggles again and she just sat there smirking like, “I am SO gonna show you! I am skipping off with my millionaire doting sexpot new man! For that brief time, at least she saw Kody for the asshat he is. 

She was a savage sneer at them all, so her desperation - meh.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

Regardless of what kind of partner Tony or Mitchell might be, at the end of every day both Mykelti and Aspyn have them there to lean on

Add Caleb and Maddie, whom Christine has visited more than a few times (and we know she considers all the kids to be hers). 

• Love 17
44 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Depends upon age, weight, health status.  At that time there were no vaccines so Janelle wouldn't have been vaccinated.  She is not young and with her weight could have other health issues.  Unknowns.  But even if she survived she could have passed it on to others who could have died because of it.   I'm sure that's why Gabe referred to her weight and age.

I'm pretty sure it was always in the 90% range though.  I have similar issues to Janelle and I was keeping an eye on that.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I often wonder what Logan thinks about all of this.  I know he's smartly distanced himself from the show, but I also have to think he's keeping tabs on his siblings' mental health at the hands of his father and his father's wife.  I hope that quietly and in the background, he is supporting them because they clearly need an adult that they can count on.

I also think he is giving the younger siblings moral support too. I think the kids in this family seem to be stable and have a solid head on their shoulders, I suppose in an effort to be the opposite of their father. 
I do recall Gabe saying that Hunter was a big support for him when they moved to Flagstaff. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
14 hours ago, Chalby said:

Also, when Gabe said that the wives and kids would even risk getting covid if it meant being together, Kody looked aghast. That told me that Kody would not risk anything to have his family together.

Well, there you have the essence of Kody: it's all posturing and blah blah blah which means absolutely nothing when it comes down to it. Truely is very sick? Eh, no big deal. Ysabel needs major surgery? Count him out; too dangerous. Janelle's mother (and also his "second mom" and mother in law) dies? Sure hope I don't catch Covid there. And if there was ever a moment where, COVID be damned (especially because Kody is So Careful!), he should have hugged his hurting son- he doesn't. He isn't empathetic, or sorry, or regretful that he didn't see his family or explain his rules- he's ANGRY that anyone question him! EVER! So who wins? ROBYN, because she listens to him and obeys!

As everything unravels, Kody spins frantically trying to justify his horrible mismanagement of the family. He and Robyn make a great pair; I'm sure they (to use their lingo) are sittin' there talkin' about how uncompliant and selfish the rest of the family are, while their brood sit dejectedly in their 80s style terrifying mansion and pat themselves on the back as to their willingness to "follow the protoculls."

As for Robyn saying Ari can't handle Kody being gone more than two days: I'm sure it goes like this starting at hour 36: "ARI, don't you MISS your daddy? Are you sad? Huh? Are you gonna cry? Poor baby!!"  Robyn is the kind of mom who will accompany her sons to prom and hold her daughters tightly and rock them when they get their periods and are feeling crampy.

On a more petty note:  I want Gabe's hair. And I feel for the kids because I think they are all unhealthy looking - especially the girls, who are all overweight (with the exception of Gwen and Ysabel)- they seem to eat a lot of starchy, crappy stuff. I like to look at their old shows and see the abundance of tater tots, corn and bread at their family feasts (alas, that won't be happening soon). I'm sure that with two of the four wives considering defection at this point, Meri will be on standby to provide plenty of Rice Krispie treats for Kody and his paunch.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, MsTree said:

Kody, your grown son is crying in pain, and you can't even give him a reassuring hug. What a piece of shit you are.

I was shocked that after that painful and gut-wrenching talk, I didn't hear him tell Gabe he loved him at the end of it. I am not sure if he said it at all in the whole conversation. I keep imagining how I would feel if my dad had acted like Kodouche when I was crying in from of him and he had no reaction. I can only imagine that as a boy and being filmed, it would make me feel so much worse. How can a dad who claims to love his kids not verbalize it to them? Especially when they are in pain right in front of him. With Kodouche being the narcissist we all believe him to be, you would think he would respond at least a little to the fact his son wants to see and talk to him. And where the eff does Kodouche get off being mad at Janelle??? If they are YOUR rules, why aren't YOU communicating them?!?

• Love 24
16 hours ago, Maire said:

I think the reason that Robyn even came to Janelle’s house at all is because King Kody was quarantining there. Joseph Smith forbid he got any alone time with a grieving Janelle.

I don't believe Robyn is a Joseph Smith follower.  Celebrating Joseph Smith’s birthday had always been a huge deal for Christine. She said that each wife brought a tradition into the family and that was hers.  After 16 years, Kody suddenly decided they were no longer going to do so, because it was “weird”.  Interestingly, it was right after Robyn joined the family. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I don't believe Robyn is a Joseph Smith follower.  Celebrating Joseph Smith’s birthday had always been a huge deal for Christine. She said that each wife brought a tradition into the family and that was hers.  After 16 years, Kody suddenly decided they were no longer going to do so, because it was “weird”.  Interestingly, it was right after Robyn joined the family. 

Joseph Smith began the Mormon religion.  I would think he would factor into their belief system for that reason.  I noticed a framed picture in Robyn's house that I assumed was Moroni, though I didn't look very closely.  Having their origins in the Mormon religion, I have always assumed they recognized the same prophets.  Anyone who is in the know, please illuminate me.  I'm only guessing here.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, MsMalin said:

This show started out to illustrate the virtues of polygamy but it has failed miserably on all counts. I can't see one reason to convince me otherwise.

I have to wonder if it was ever true that TLC was trying to sell polygamy.  I believe they selected what they thought might be a titillating way of life to bring in viewers just like they offer such other dreadful series as the 600 pound people that are tailor made for people to mock.  THe dredge up the outliers and circus freaks to garner viewers. 

When was the last time The Learning Channel actually presented something of value?  Some of the early programs were innocuous - Flip That House, BBQ Pitmasters, Cake Boss, While You Were Out, and Ballroom Bootcamp come to mind.  Now it's all pure trash.  But apparently lucritive.

Perhaps the whole plan was to show what a major fail polygamy is. If so, it worked as expected.

• Love 18

Now that everything else has been discussed:  What was Kody doing with those logs? Scraping them off then pushing them and grunting like a caveman? Are they going to be used to build a house?

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, AdorkableWitch said:

In addition to all of his other sins, Kodouche was driving and filming after his COVID test. That is reckless and irresponsible but not really surprising. He throws a fit about his rules but he's far more likely to have a car accident. 

Also, it sounded like he stopped by urgent care for a test on his way back from Wyoming.  He may have tested negative, but could test positive in 24-48 hours if he caught it at the tail end of his time in WY or during his stops for gas and meals on the drive home.  And he didn't change his clothes after running in the door to embrace the only fambly he cares about.

8 minutes ago, MsMalin said:

Now that everything else has been discussed:  What was Kody doing with those logs? Scraping them off then pushing them and grunting like a caveman? Are they going to be used to build a house?

He was "pilling" (peeling) them so they could be used for something besides firewood. He's not one to plan anything. He probably did it to prove that he does see his boys at least once per 9 months to do manly man things with them.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

The thing is, he could have seen his kids with a high degree of safety if he’d wanted to. I’m super, super cautious but have still had outdoor gatherings with other cautious people, and I walk weekly with a friend and have since early 2020. Even if the chance of dying is only 3% (which I question), there are too many other serious ongoing health problems that can occur - not to mention the fact that you can continue the spread of the disease if you contact it 

I don’t take issue with extreme precautions but I do take issue with Kody not taking advantage of safer ways to gather or at least fucking CALL his kids once in awhile  

I thought about this after the show. According to the schedule (Meri is out) he should spend at least 2 nights a week with each wife and kids. His reasons for not going over- because of their standards being lower than his (lie) so he had to stay with the obedient wife. Why couldn’t he spend those two days calling that wife and her kids separately since that should be technically their time slot?  Robin wouldn’t have anything to gripe about because those are days he shouldn’t be there, in the first place. Gabe said Kody rarely ever calls him. There is no excuse since that part of the week should be carved out for that family. Of course we know the answer to all of the above. He’s using Covid to avoid anyone who is not Robin or her offspring. There are just so many ways he could have connected with Gabe during that 7 months, and I’m sad that Gabe believes quarantining had anything to do with it.  

• Love 23
4 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I don't think she minded.  Janelle is fat, and it wasn't said in a belittling way.  It was only said to demonstrate that Janelle would take risks to be with her children while Kody will take no risks to be with any of his kids other than those of Robyn.

He said overweight and it's no secret lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Fairytales said:

I rewatched the episode and have a few questions. How much time went by between the heart to talking ass conversation Gabe had with Kody and when Gabe did his talking head? My guess is several months since his hair was noticeably longer. That being said, what else happened in those months in-between that caused the pain to be so fresh, his opinion so unchanged? Gabe seems to be the son that if Kody had come back at anytime in between and parented his son,  Gabe would have reflected on it differently.  Instead whatever came from the talk and anything that happened after solidified his view.  There are no words to express what a sad sack of flesh Kody has devolved into. 

Made me spit out my coffee. Bravo!🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
Just now, Pegasaurus said:

Agree with this assessment. Her behavior starts to sound like a mental abuse form of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy. (if there is such a thing) 

Or else Robyn is just sociopathic monster and will sacrifice her own kids mental health to get what she wants.

The latter is my opinion. 

• Love 14

Who the heck was going to Mexico?

Did anyone else catch Gabe saying something to the effect when he was talking to Kody about getting Janelle and Christine on his team..., "I can tell her not to go to Mexico, cause I would miss her?" or something to that effect. 

Was Christine going to Mexico for Luluroe or something? 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, nosedive said:

No way does Kody have a carton filled with books.  Maybe comic books, but definitely not something without large, colorful illustrations.  

Maybe it’s full of Victoria’s Secret catalogs. Or Playboy magazines. 🤔

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, nosedive said:

Joseph Smith began the Mormon religion.  I would think he would factor into their belief system for that reason.  I noticed a framed picture in Robyn's house that I assumed was Moroni, though I didn't look very closely.  Having their origins in the Mormon religion, I have always assumed they recognized the same prophets.  Anyone who is in the know, please illuminate me.  I'm only guessing here.  

Yes, Joseph Smith is the founder of the Mormon religion, however there are various sects with their own dogma as to who is the final authority for leading their versions of the Mormon church and making or changing the rules, else, excommunication.

For example, the LDS church headquartered in Salt Lake City, claiming 15 million members, has decided it objects to the term “Mormons” being used to describe them or their organization.

In other words, it’s not just Joseph Smith’s “Book of Mormon” that qualifies him as a prophet whose teachings are to be considered gospel, from God’s mouth to HIS ear. Depending on the specific sect, there are others.

Im not personally aware of any of Joseph Smith’s various sects that allow women a leadership role.  Men run the church, women submit to their husbands, specifically and men in general and their decisions regarding the church.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1

He was "pilling" (peeling) them so they could be used for something besides firewood. He's not one to plan anything. He probably did it to prove that he does see his boys at least once per 9 months to do manly man things with them.

I wonder if Kody thinks playing with the logs makes him look productive, so we won't notice that he doesn't have an actual job. Or maybe he just wants us to see that he has a big log, since he obviously has no balls.

Janelle needs a t shirt that says Teflon Queen. And what was Kody's reference to bullying about? Is he talking about Robyn being bullied, or her kids?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MsMalin said:

How is it possible to have 18 children and give them the love and attention they require? This show started out to illustrate the virtues of polygamy but it has failed miserably on all counts.

I agree that the conscious decision to have 18 kids in this day and age is incomprehensible unless you are a religious zealot like the Brown’s or the Duggar’s, for example. Another possibility would be medical malpractice like Octomom and her 14 kids.

I think the show has done an EXCELLENT job illustrating the virtues of the Brown’s polygamous marriages over the years.  I think it would be incredibly educational for anyone considering living their principle!  When Christine and Janelle were pumping out as many kids as they could with their beloved co-husband, they found that if Janelle worked and was absent from the home for extended periods of time, Christine provided the childcare and held down the fort.  Win-win.  Who gives a crap if Kody is breathing down your neck. Let him breathe down Meri’s, for crying out loud.  Now that they have very few remaining at home of the 12 they spawned, the benefits or virtues, if you will, for them of their chosen lifestyle have changed.  Their god only blessed Meri with one, so maybe sitting around keeping sweet watching 12 more come into the world without her assistance wasn’t her dream come true?  Robyn showed up a few years too late to enjoy the experience that Janelle and Christine did with respect to the OG dozen.

If nothing else, Kody is consistent.  It is his world, everyone else is just in it, following him down the path of eventual afterlife glory.  Wives can’t lead so they either need to follow or get out of the way.  TWO CHOICES-like it or leave.  Can’t force them, it’s gotta be consensual.  Kids become adults?  They gotta march down their own path and accept that while these women might be their mom(s), these fully grown adult women signed up to obediently follow Kody first and above all others.

I think the kids suffer from BOTH of their parents choosing zealous adherence to their chosen religion over what’s in the best interest of any future child or children.

Edited by kicotan
Grammar
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I wonder if Kody thinks playing with the logs makes him look productive, so we won't notice that he doesn't have an actual job. Or maybe he just wants us to see that he has a big log, since he obviously has no balls.

Janelle needs a t shirt that says Teflon Queen. And what was Kody's reference to bullying about? Is he talking about Robyn being bullied, or her kids?

He has said it before that Robyn has been bullied. That she is sweet and obedient and that the other wives and their children have bullied her. 

As far as peeling the logs what is this going to do? Has he never watched shows like Home town. They have a huge workshop full of expensive equipment that splits, cuts, trims and planes the wood to get clean  level boards with which to build things. I have no idea what Kody hopes to accomplish with those huge logs. Probably wants to appear oh so manly.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Pooky said:

He said overweight and it's no secret lol

and to a 19 yr old, 51 is OLD! lol

Robyn would always call Kootie during his visits to the original families. When he went to visit Meri on her driveway, Robyn called moments after he stepped out of his vehicle.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 13

I used to do my full rundown of the episode on here, but it just feels repetitive now. Kody is a self-absorbed asshat, and it just gets more obvious with every episode. Yes, Christine did do some traveling, but his bashing of Janelle to her son was complete BS. Wasn't she going to help care for her grandchild who had just had major surgery? Oh wait, Kody only cares about members of the "family" who still live under his supervision (Robyn and her kids). 

If Gabe had walked over and punched Kody in the mouth the episode would have been perfect. There's not a redeeming quality to be found in Kody. Doesn't their religion teach that if he doesn't have 3 wives he doesn't get into super-heaven or whatever they call it? Well if Janelle bails on him, he's gonna have a hard time finding a third dimwit to sign up to marry him if they've seen this show.

I try not to wish ill on people who in general, especially those I've never met. But if Kody fell into the sewage pond out there on Coyote Piss and never came back out, society would probably be a better place

• Love 23

Peeled logs are used to make log cabins, but it takes more than 5 logs, and professional log cabin builders will use a machine to peel all 100+ logs at once.  Also, if you stack them so that air can flow under and around them (i.e. don't leave them on the ground like Kodoofus), they dry out and practically peel themselves. If he wanted to sell the 5 logs, buyers might prefer them with the bark on.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

I've had this same thought a few times!

While we viewers watch this stuff, in disgust and anger, the Browns are meeting up at Meri's mansion for drinks and laughs as the wives each toss their house keys into the basket so Kody can draw his wife for the week.

I guess we'll all see how this season plays out next season!

I do think with this 'hit' season the Browns are rolling in the dough!

• Love 4