Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: The Weddings Are Coming! The Weddings Are Coming!

• Start Topic

I really liked Lindsey at first but she is too too too much. I really laughed out loud when she and Mark were bantering and it was going nicely/////until it was like overkill on steroids........and Mark said wow she has a lot of energy as he wiped his brow.

I think she is always on 150% and it would wear me out.

I liked when Jasmine spoke up to her about her speaking negatively about Alyssa and that Jasmine and Alyssa's friends heard it. Typical though Lindsey just brushed it off and said Alyssa should have been open.

I don't know why but I had expected Alyssa to be more of a party animal but when she was chatting with her friends and didn't want to get drunk I thought she was being very real.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, bref said:

Did Cal just say they're only showing ONE wedding tonight? Ugh.

I’m watching this show since 6 pm.  Can they squeeze anymore out of this?  Then the After Party.  WTF?

Yikes!  Lindsey is drunk, and doesn’t shut up for one minute.  Poor Mark.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

Ok, my bad, I took it as Bigfoot meant kicking or stepping on a little dog. 
Why are there half naked dancers at the mens party and the women have drag queens? Where are the sexy male dancers? 

WOW, I’ve never been to a strip club.  At Marks Bachelor Party, the stripper did a split right into his face while he was sitting down. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Oh, wow.... father in jail most of your life, parents never married, mom walked out when you were ~2--- there's a lot of family disfunction this season.

I can’t keep track with these girls.  No Mothers, step fathers, who’s in jail, who didn’t come, five million sisters, a million girlfriends all look alike, blah, blah, blah.

• Love 10

I'm impressed Lindsey held it together as well as she did. I thought for sure she was gonna pass out during the last bit of Mark's vows. For the record, google maps says the distance from Le Méridien to the Museum of Science is 2.2 miles, 7 minutes by car with no traffic. It looked like she drank 2 glasses of champagne during the ride, on top of the "two bottles" she mentioned from earlier.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

I'm impressed Lindsey held it together as well as she did. I thought for sure she was gonna pass out during the last bit of Mark's vows. For the record, google maps says the distance from Le Méridien to the Museum of Science is 2.2 miles, 7 minutes by car with no traffic. It looked like she drank 2 glasses of champagne during the ride, on top of the "two bottles" she mentioned from earlier.

Who drinks like that before their wedding?  I’m surprised she didn’t fall on her ass.  I feel bad for him already.  She’s a handful and a lush.

• Love 17

I liked the first dress Lindsay tried on. I thought it was tasteful, pretty and flattered her figure.

So I knew she wouldn't choose it.

Mark probably never looked as good as he did on his wedding day. And his tux won--I have never understood or liked any tux that wasn't black.

As to the rest of this mess (I skipped much of the parties), I think my strategy will be to take it as the joke that it is. The producers are looking for drama, but I'm looking at this as comedy. I expect I'll have a better season than last. Certainly better than most if not all of these people. But they asked for it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, spunky said:

The guy with 5 million tattoos already has me side eyeing him. If his wife can't cook, then she's not a wife? Sit down Jephte 2.0

And isn’t he the one that Jephte said he used to hang out with?

• Useful 9
  • Love 3

"I think she would want him to have a job." You think?! I am having a hard time understanding why an unemployed guy was selected. 

I don't believe Jasmine will be attracted to Mike. 

Alyssa seems like a snob. Perhaps someone should remind her that she had to turn to a third rate reality show, with a track record of "couples still together" that is lower than "The Biggest Loser" to find a husband.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Ok, my bad, I took it as Bigfoot meant kicking or stepping on a little dog. 

I assume that's what she meant too, but I didn't think she meant that it would be intentional. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He really doesn’t look like he’s ready to settle down and marry. He doesn’t want a wife. He wants a cook, a maid and steady sex when he can’t get it elsewhere. 

I’ve said many times that a lot of men only pair off because they can’t afford a staff. I’ve been on and off the apps for a while and I’ve read a lot of profiles written by men who clearly don’t actually like women; they just can’t afford a surrogate, nannies, personal assistant, cook, housekeeper, and sex workers. Olajuwon is giving that for me, talking about what he will and won’t “allow.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

The stripper really had the moves!  Amazing what flexible legs can do!  Wow.

If all fails...bring on the dancing girls.  Lol

Lindsey recovered pretty quickley.  I wonder if she lost a finger from that tight ring?  One of my nightmares!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I didn’t understand that either. I have disabled family members; they come to events. His mother sounded lucid on the phone.

Noi is a woman who wants stability and who has had boyfriends who, I assume, paid for her travel with them, and they paired her with a man with no job. I don’t judge him for being laid off. I’ve been laid off. Anybody can lose a job. And I’d guess he made good money as a software engineer so he probably has savings that funded his road trip. But how long is he going to be unemployed? I can’t imagine applying for a show to get married with no job. 

I don’t see his joblessness as a big issue at this point. He said he had lost job in November 2020. He didn’t want to spend winter in Boston and decided to travel along East Coast to Florida. For a guy of his age this is a great opportunity which doesn’t happen often. After he returned to Boston in spring, he decided to apply for this show. Again this is a right thing to do so he doesn’t have to take numerous days off right after starting a mew job. The most important fact for me is that he has job experience, good education and training in computer  field. Guys with ‘personal trainer’ jobs concern me more.

• Useful 5
  • Love 17
55 minutes ago, Maximadc said:

I don’t see his joblessness as a big issue at this point. He said he had lost job in November 2020. He didn’t want to spend winter in Boston and decided to travel along East Coast to Florida. For a guy of his age this is a great opportunity which doesn’t happen often. After he returned to Boston in spring, he decided to apply for this show. Again this is a right thing to do so he doesn’t have to take numerous days off right after starting a mew job. The most important fact for me is that he has job experience, good education and training in computer  field. Guys with ‘personal trainer’ jobs concern me more.

If he’s financially stable, cool. There’s more to life than work. I don’t have a sense that he is financially stable and I’m also not entirely sure that he wants to go back to his old profession - which I also don’t judge, as someone who intends to change fields this year. I just don’t have a sense of what his plans are, and that’s ok when it’s just you but if you’re partnered, you can’t really just wing it. It affects your spouse too.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

So, they fired Jamie.  The new interviewer, Keisha Knight Puliam, or whoever, was very, very good.  Much better than Jamie I have to say.

Keisha Knight Pulliam? Rudy Huxtable? Well, damn. I’m still not watching what she hosts (the show is way too long as it is, I stopped watching at 10) but good for her.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

There was the relationship coach from Australia on 90 Day Fiance that had those eyes and viewers said he needed to check his thyroid. He did and it was an issue that he addressed. I wouldn't have known but he thanked the viewers for giving him the heads up on one of the follow-up shows.

And his eyes were bulging a lot less when he said it. I was reminded of him last night when I saw a commercial for a drug that helps with bulging eyes for the first time & it mentioned the thyroid.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

I really liked Lindsey at first but she is too too too much. I really laughed out loud when she and Mark were bantering and it was going nicely/////until it was like overkill on steroids........and Mark said wow she has a lot of energy as he wiped his brow.

I think she is always on 150% and it would wear me out.

I liked when Jasmine spoke up to her about her speaking negatively about Alyssa and that Jasmine and Alyssa's friends heard it. Typical though Lindsey just brushed it off and said Alyssa should have been open.

I don't know why but I had expected Alyssa to be more of a party animal but when she was chatting with her friends and didn't want to get drunk I thought she was being very real.

yeah, lindsey was being unkind and unwise talking about alyssa around her friends and knowing that she's being filmed. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Adeejay said:

"I think she would want him to have a job." You think?! I am having a hard time understanding why an unemployed guy was selected. 

I don't believe Jasmine will be attracted to Mike. 

Alyssa seems like a snob. Perhaps someone should remind her that she had to turn to a third rate reality show, with a track record of "couples still together" that is lower than "The Biggest Loser" to find a husband.

i don't think alyssa is a snob, just shy, at least around people she doesn't know and a bachelorette party is not her thing and she's not alone in that feeling.

• Love 13

This episode wasn't too bad.  Oh, wait a minute, maybe it's because I fast-forwarded through all of the 'telling everyone I know that I'm getting married in two weeks' segments (which were over an hour long) as well as the Bachelor/Bachelorette "parties" (wow, was I skeeved out by the strip club scenes-I guess some men just love half-naked women no matter what they look like).  So, yes, the remaining few minutes entertained me very much.

Lindsey seems to be too much and, like others, I wish she had chosen the first dress as it was lovely and flattered her.  I wonder if she thinks she has to be the life of the party-like she feels like she isn't "enough" so becomes even more.  I don't know why Mark thinks "the shark" is a great nickname as it could have many meanings-some of which are not positive or endearing.

And, I have no idea why they cast Jepthe's friend as there doesn't seem to be a sincere bone in his body.

Well, I am in for the season.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

There seems to be a woman every season that doesn't like the Bachelorette festivities. It would or could be fine. But, those women also often end up being stick in the muds during the whole show. So, I have my eyes open because of that.

The jobless guy is whatever. It's about what he plans to do going forward. He has a background in a definite career. His attitude towards not having a job is the real issue. Does he just not care? Is he lazy? I don't think he is. We will see.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4

I have to say that despite being very extroverted myself, staying away from a rude, drunken Lindsey at the bachelorette party (who according to the after show was insulting Alyssa within hearing distance of her friends), doesn’t seem like such a bad choice. 

With regard to Lindsey: she was drinking alcohol in almost every scene we saw her in last night, from the beginning of the show. I lost count after five. 

Also during the after show, she was so rude about her impressions of Mark at the alter. She doesn’t have me ranting at my screen like Mr. “My wife must cook and go to strip clubs with me” does, but she’s catching up…

• Love 10
14 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

there's a lot of family disfunction this season.

That's not good. I didn't watch the show and, hopefully, won't, but the comments, as always, help me decide. And it does sound like there is a lot to draw out drama. I thought last year when Gil and Myrla had murdered fathers in common was pretty awful. It sounds like this season they have raised the bar again. Sounds like lots of trust and abandonment issues (NO MORE MICHAELA!!!!!!!)

13 HOURS AGO,  KISS MY MUTT SAID: 

Oh Lordy, Olajuwon is a dirty dog. I would walk after seeing him go so far as to touch the stripper. Can’t wait to watch through my fingers when Katina sees it. 
oh gross, now Mark is getting some washed up stripper action. 

I was in New Orleans many years ago and we walked down Bourbon Street and there was a sign in front of one of the establishments that read, "Wash the Girl of your choice." I will never forget that sign!!!

Edited by Retired at last
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Retired at last said:

I was in New Orleans many years ago and we walked down Bourbon Street and there was a sign in front of one of the establishments that read, "Wash the Girl of your choice." I will never forget that sign!!!

You mean your husband didn't drag you in there and dare you to "slap that girl's butt"?  Yay!

• LOL 8
14 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

That's not good. I didn't watch the show and, hopefully, won't, but the comments, as always, help me decide. And it does sound like there is a lot to draw out drama.

One of them lost his father when he was 12, his mother when he was 20, and his brother (who was killed violently) at some point in between. One of them has an ex who had a baby with another woman behind her back and has no relationship with her bio mom - her stepmom, who is no longer married to her father, raised her. Another was born in a refugee camp. Another has a father who was incarcerated her whole life. Another has no relationship with her mother after her parents’ divorce, which happened relatively recently, and got dumped 5 days before her wedding only a year ago. I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. I think the unemployed guy might be the only one whose parents are married. I started watching this show maybe 4 or 5 seasons in and I don’t remember nearly as many tragic back stories as there have been the last couple of seasons. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It sounded to me like her disabilities are more mental and emotional than physical? For some reason, I also had a feeling she might have an alcohol problem though I don't know why I thought that.

Well, he did say repeatedly that she's "in rehab."  But he said (or at least implied) that it was for her legs, although he did say that she makes bad decisions, which doesn't sound like a leg issue.

13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Mark can't help it but he's got crazy serial killer blue eyes.  

Those eyes, combined with absolutely no chin?  I find him aggressively unattractive.  Some of the shots of him in profile were very unfortunate.  I'm not a fan of beards, but he needs to try on Mike's, the one that juts out, to see if that can help balance out the lower half of his face.

Actually, I find all of the guys this season to be unattractive.

13 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Oh no, Lyndsey, the top on the dress is so wrong, see thru with breast feeding pads showing through.

Thank god it looks like that was just for the try-on dress, because that was AWFUL.  But at the wedding, it looked fine.  I actually wonder what it DID have instead of the breast feeding pads, because did they have time to professionally line the bodice?  Lindsey did say on the after-show that yeah, she pulled her dress down to fish out her vows, but she had pasties on, so no big deal.  Is it possible she just used pasties and didn't have it lined?

12 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Why are there half naked dancers at the mens party and the women have drag queens? Where are the sexy male dancers? 

25 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

(wow, was I skeeved out by the strip club scenes-I guess some men just love half-naked women no matter what they look like). 

Y'all need to work on your math. 

2 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I thought last year when Gil and Myrla had murdered fathers in common was pretty awful. It sounds like this season they have raised the bar again.

Well, except they're getting the "in common" thing wrong.  I can't remember which couple, but the girl's father was incarcerated since she was a baby, and the guy's father died when he was a kid (am I getting this right?), and Cal said they had being raised by single mothers in common.  Well, technically, yes, but...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’ve said many times that a lot of men only pair off because they can’t afford a staff. I’ve been on and off the apps for a while and I’ve read a lot of profiles written by men who clearly don’t actually like women; they just can’t afford a surrogate, nannies, personal assistant, cook, housekeeper, and sex workers.

I think this is why older widowers are so quick to remarry. They want someone to take care of their daily needs, much cheaper than hiring help, and there are plenty of widows who are desperate to find a new husband.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Well, I finally finished the MAFS Ep.01 three-hour marathon.

Hmm, I wonder if it's significant that Lindsey couldn't keep her big mouth from making quips during her husband's damn wedding vows. [/s]

All that excess (alcohol) energy would be making me a nervous wreck.  I was waiting for her to screech out that she hated cats and Mark would have to get rid of his pets IMMEDIATELY.  And then burn his house to the ground to atone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who breathed a huge sigh of relief when Lindsey turned out to be pro-cat.

Lindsey's going to be a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Tonight we learned that Lindsey works in medicine- but seemingly not as any kind of caretaker, like a doctor, nurse or aide. On the casting special, the “experts” made it sound like she was on the caretaking side of medicine and could help with Mark’s mother. But then when they told her she was getting married, she appeared to be the only one working in a jewelry shop. 

Am I confused? Or is all of the above correct? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

i don't think alyssa is a snob, just shy, at least around people she doesn't know and a bachelorette party is not her thing and she's not alone in that feeling.

She probably doesn’t want to look bad on tv so she decided to be the shy, retiring type who doesn’t drink. And she could definitely use more riding lessons because she didn’t seem to know what she was doing atop that horse. BTW, am I silly to think that at one time, Alyssa’s mother was actually Alyssa’s father?

30 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
15 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Well, he did say repeatedly that she's "in rehab."  But he said (or at least implied) that it was for her legs, although he did say that she makes bad decisions, which doesn't sound like a leg issue.

As a veteran reality show watcher, I’m pretty confident that Mark’s mother had an alcohol problem, thus his comment about her not acting in her own best interest and having to be in rehab (rehab doesn’t necessarily mean drugs or alcohol, but in this case....) If it were something else, there would have been more discussion or more revealed about her difficulties. Experts: “Mark’s mother is an alcoholic, so let’s pair him with someone who seems to over-drink at the drop of a hat!”

His nickname, Mahk the Shahk (I live in the area!), yeah, he totally made it up. My brother had a loser friend in high school, kid was about 5 feet tall and a nerd, who nicknamed himself “Tiger.” Okay.

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, spunky said:

The guy with 5 million tattoos already has me side eyeing him. If his wife can't cook, then she's not a wife?

Super disturbing RED FLAG!!! He backed off that dinner crap with Pastor Cal, then turns around & straight ARGUED that's what a wife was at the BBQ. UH WHA??? I can already see it: narrow-minded, my way type. A wife has dinner ready. That's it. I can't! He's pathetic! He was gunna put cheese on a RAW burger! He joked if he cooked, he'd burn the house down, but he better figure it out.

• Love 3

Unlike alcohol rehabs, though, it seemed to sound like she was going to be there for a long time, maybe permanently? So that also kind of threw me off. But yeah, between "makes bad decisions" and "would hate to embarrass herself at the wedding" I was thinking this was more than just an issue with her legs.

The guy with 5 million tattoos already has me side eyeing him. If his wife can't cook, then she's not a wife?

Not to mention that even if she CAN cook, what if she doesn't want to make dinner every night? What is he going to contribute to managing the household if she does do all the cooking???

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I think this is why older widowers are so quick to remarry. They want someone to take care of their daily needs, much cheaper than hiring help, and there are plenty of widows who are desperate to find a new husband.

So THAT's why I had a wicked stepmother?  Hmmm, not impossible.  

Katina reminds me so much of Eva Mendes.  Does anyone else think Alyssa and Chris look like they could be brother and sister?  Their facial features are so similar. 

Yeah... the superficial is all I have right now.  This season looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. 😐

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Not to mention that even if she CAN cook, what if she doesn't want to make dinner every night? What is he going to contribute to managing the household if she does do all the cooking???

Or she doesn’t have time? I don’t think I know what any of them do for a living but I’m sure his match works. Does he want a housewife? He said he wanted a “traditional” wife & to come home to a meal every night. Does he not want his wife to work? If so, does he make enough to fully support her and any kids they’d have?

• Love 6

Seems like MAFS has new focus. Families and how they shape marriages. 

Maybe with the new divorce rates so high this is what ‘families’ look like.

No more birth mom, dad and loving blood siblings.   

I like Ashley and think she recovered so quickly maybe production had a bit to play in the drunken bride.   What you see is what you get!

Alessa was absent at the Bachelorette party she didn’t even try.

So many so needy for a traditional family maybe they will try harder. Then again this is a tv show so anything can happen!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Mark can't help it but he's got crazy serial killer blue eyes.  

I can't take his bug eyes!!! You already know he'll be bugging out with Lindsey for a wife!! She actually made him seem quiet. 😅😂

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Oh no, Lindsey, the top on the dress is so wrong, see thru with breast feeding pads showing through. 

That was the most HIDEOUS dress I've ever seen on this show!!! & they all said it looked good! WTF?!! 😅😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I'm at an age where everybody's parents are dying, and I've noticed widowers tend to die not too long after their wives die, but widows can go on for years and years.  I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that in general, men are older than women in marriages, but I think there's more.

I think women whose husbands die, especially women in what is now the oldest generation we have, can be suddenly placed in a position of power they didn't have before.  In that cohort, it was often the husband who handled the family finances, and when he dies, suddenly the widow is in the position of making decisions about important matters like finances and investing, and it can be empowering.  She's deciding what car to buy.  She's making all sorts of important decisions, and that can contribute to vitality.

Men in that cohort, when their wives die, have to learn how to do their laundry and run the dishwasher and do real grocery shopping (not just picking up an item on the way home), and I suspect most of them don't find that empowering, or even interesting. 

I do think we're on the tail end of this, now that so many more women work outside the home.  Or I hope so, anyway.  Although now that I think about it, it might just mean that women start dying earlier, like the men do. 

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Me too. And on top of that he has three cats? Hard no for me.

He said he has three cats many times, but I think I heard him say at one point that he had two cats and got a roommate with one cat.  Is the roommate still living there, so he'll be bringing "only" two cats to the marriage?  Did the roommate move and leave the cat?

1 hour ago, Cramps said:

On the casting special, the “experts” made it sound like [Lindsey] was on the caretaking side of medicine and could help with Mark’s mother. But then when they told her she was getting married, she appeared to be the only one working in a jewelry shop. 

I don't remember all the details, but I definitely remember the experts saying her caregiving skills will be helpful to Mark, and it turns out she's some sort of Covid coordinator?

Also, now I'm confused about the difference between "caregiving" and "caretaking."  Sounds like they should be the opposite, but I think they mean the same thing?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3