Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/17/22

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 17 –  “The View” honors Martin Luther King Jr. Day; Sen. Rev. Raphael Warnock (D-GA); Jennifer Hudson (“Respect”)

Tuesday, Jan. 18 – Valerie Bertinelli (author, “Enough Already”)

Wednesday, Jan. 19 –  David Muir (anchor, ABC News’ “World News Tonight”); Bill Murray joined by cellist Jan Vogler

Thursday, Jan. 20 – Ricky Gervais (“After Life”); Sharon Gless (author, “Apparently There Were Complaints”)

Friday, Jan. 21 –  Day of Hot Topics

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I could listen to Sen Rev Warnock all day. Such a powerful speaker.

His speech on the Senate floor was so good.

I agree with Joy when you hear someone say something racist you need to call them out.   If you don't they think you agree with them.  I had a former boss who used the n word with an a on the end thinking he was being cool or something.  He was in a different room and I heard him say it and I immediately called out I can't believe you just said that.  He was so apologetic.  He kept apologizing for the rest of the day.  I told him I know you know better so for now on do better.

• Love 21

Joy has been around long enough that she should know that whatever you do to gain advantage your opponent will also do when they have the opportunity. That's why doing something just because it's "an emergency" is not the slam dunk you think it will be. Remove the filibuster to allow a bill to be passed with fewer votes may be a win for Democrats now, but when Republicans want to push something through, they will be able to do it with that same smaller number, and you won't like it. So be very cautious about making changes for a single purpose, and don't complain if it backfires on you later.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

but when Republicans want to push something through, they will be able to do it with that same smaller number, and you won't like it.

They’ve already done so. 

• Love 15

Warnock summed it up perfectly that people (whether voters or leaders in Congress) no longer have to wonder, "What I would've done if I lived then?" since the current moment, fighting for the restoration of Voting Rights, is the past happening all over again. There are always going to be people who use little nothing's to oppose giving or protecting basic rights.

Very nice seeing JHUD, although I wish there could've been a performance. I don't know why neither she nor Darlene Love couldn't have given a performance remotely. Other shows have been able to work out musical performances despite being remote.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

unfortunate they didn't do a segment on the anti semitic hostage situation that happened this weekend on todays show....or the horrific subway incident in NYC. hope they cover them soon...

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

unfortunate they didn't do a segment on the anti semitic hostage situation that happened this weekend on todays show....or the horrific subway incident in NYC. hope they cover them soon...

Monday's show was pre-recorded.  They should (hopefully) cover it today.  

• Useful 1

Okay somebody needs to sit Sony's ass down and explain this to her. She had the parties reversed on who fixes what it's far as the economy goes. If we go back Jimmy Carter did work on the economy did not turn out that great but there was trying and he was working on so many other ideas at the time but it just didn't work so here comes Reagan and Bush 12 Years a completely trickle down economics inflation the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and they lose and in 1992 and comes Clinton and over his eight years he's fixed it and not only fixed it there was a surplus there was a surplus until we got eight years of bush jr. War everything else down in the dumps again so here comes Obama 8 years of him and the economy was doing great again and once again the Democrats pulled the Republicans ass out of a depression recession that they started

• Love 22
2 hours ago, geekburger said:

I am so glad they are back in studio

Yes that was a pleasant surprise.  Is Joy's forum gone?  I went to look and didn't find it.  I wanted to see if she addressed it, at least tok confirm or deny.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Yes that was a pleasant surprise.  Is Joy's forum gone?  I went to look and didn't find it.  I wanted to see if she addressed it, at least tok confirm or deny.

It’s under Joy Behar who careeees? Gotta go down a bit.   I’m am FFing to see Valerie and when they came back from break before the segment  Joy was saying something to Sunny whose face looked sour. 
confirm what? 
I did not know her former husband died 

Okay somebody needs to sit Sony's ass down and explain this to her. She had the parties reversed on who fixes what it's far as the economy goes

Is she frequently this ignorant? (I stopped watching during the Meghan years, am dabbling now). 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Okay somebody needs to sit Sony's ass down and explain this to her.

Her name is Sunny... (Well, Asunción, actually.) As for the rest of your post, I'll be honest that I don't really know what you're referring to. Sunny said exactly what you're saying, that Democrats are always coming in and fixing the mess Republican presidents leave behind? Her point was mostly that she believes Democrats always make the mistake of riding into power thanks to one group, then they aim themselves towards a different group in an attempt to stem losses going forward, only to get voted out of power again anyway and that the cycle repeats itself over and over.

I disagree with Sunny that the Voting Rights could've got through back in February of last year. I believe Manchin and Sinema would've still blocked it then, too. The only point on which I agree with her is that Biden made a very big blunder strategically in regards to Build Back Better by thinking Manchin and Sinema would honor an agreement when they allowed one part to go through without the other.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Is she frequently this ignorant? (I stopped watching during the Meghan years, am dabbling now). 

She has been for awhile now.  She seems to be incensed that the BBB was done before the voting rights legislation.   She reminds me of a milder M McCain with her negative views.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JayD83 said:

I swear Whoopi says a lot of words but doesn't say shit. 

She's been that way for a long time. Thankfully with there only being four co-hosts, she's not taking up time better-used by the others as much as when there are five.

• Love 4

I liked to watch Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show so I was looking forward to her on the show.  I really wish they could just naturally ask the questions.

They do this with all guests it seems but it seemed worse today.  Joy does it fairly well, but they need to get Sara some help to "ask" the question and not read it.  Is it that hard?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I love that Valerie Bertinelli’s cat is just crashed out next to her without a care in the world. 

The cat was doing the same thing on the Today show as well and made me laugh.  It was a great interview and I hope she finds peace now with her life now.

• Love 5

Valerie is still beautiful after all of this time and it just saddens me that she has never believed that she was fine just the way that she was..

8 hours ago, buttersister said:

How was she ignorant? Sunny said nothing wrong or disrespectful to any of her colleagues.  She expressed her opinion that was different from the others.  They had a robust discussion about voting rights and what each thought should have been done to achieve it.  Sunny did not pout, cry or make any wild accusations simply because she was the lone dissenter.. The ladies had a mature discussion and it was so good that Whoopie continued with the same discussion after a commercial break.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 15

She had the parties reversed on who fixes what it's far as the economy goes.

I was responding to this, as I lived through all of those administrations as an adult, I know who did what.

Sunny doesn’t, thankfully, misbehave as Meghan The Obnoxious did, which is why I can watch this show occasionally again.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rightside said:

I liked to watch Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show so I was looking forward to her on the show.  I really wish they could just naturally ask the questions.

They do this with all guests it seems but it seemed worse today.  Joy does it fairly well, but they need to get Sara some help to "ask" the question and not read it.  Is it that hard?

Valerie speaks eloquently with no script and can speak continuously while thinking, with no awkward pauses. By contrast the cohosts all seemed like amateurs.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Valerie is still beautiful after all of this time and it just saddens me that she has never believed that she was fine just the way that she was..

IKR?  She has always been beautiful, both in body and spirit.  Has there ever been any negative publicity about her?  She's always been shown to be so kind and sweet and smart.  Ugh, our culture plays such head games with girls and young women, making them believe they're not good enough.

• Love 14

I have always adored Valerie. She seems like a genuinely nice and funny person.  I usually don't care when celebrity couples break up but when her and Eddie split I was legit sad.  They were just so damn cute together.  But I understand it is very trying to be married to an alcoholic.  I'm glad they were able to still be friends afterwards.  

I have read her previous books and have this current one on reserve at the library.  She always writes from the heart.

• Love 9

So this tv market replaced Dr Oz with Daphne Oz? Go figure.

Sara is out today.

Good for the Dems for threatening to primary Manchin and Sinema. My gf in WV says there is no way he’ll get re-elected in any case and he doesn’t care. Good for AZ Dems for targeting Sinema’s donors. And I love that Corey Booker was talking about voting on each item individually.

I know what erudite means, Whoopi.  Do you?  🤣

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14

I agree with Joy that they aren't Democrats. The fact that they're relying on Republican donations at this point says it all. Ana is right that another Democrat probably wouldn't win where Manchin is at least, but considering he doesn't act like a Democrat at all, it's not like they've won much of anything with him there.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Haleth said:

My gf in WV says there is no way he’ll get re-elected in any case. He’s toast and he doesn’t care.

35 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Ana was close, but why is no one stating the obvious: the people of WV are voting for Manchion for a whole myriad of reasons. Whoopi and Joy don’t seem to get that.

I live in WV and he might have lost the last time except he had a horrible opponent.   I refused to vote for him and wrote in my own name.  If he runs again he could win.  Unfortunately come election day (which isn't till 2024 for him) voters will most likely have forgotten about his screwing over his constituents.  

14 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Ana is right that another Democrat probably wouldn't win where Manchin is at least, but considering he doesn't act like a Democrat at all, it's not like they've won much of anything with him there.

Ana is 100% right.  If it's not him it will definitely be a Republican.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

No, Whoopi, I’m sure European leaders think Biden is weak and may lose in 24. A strong president wouldn’t be “hampered.”

I am agreeing with Sunny today that Biden was naive and the answer is to vote in more senators who will not be obstructionists. Unfortunately in deep red states that will be difficult. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Sunny, bless Rep. James Clyburn for bringing on the guy that had the best chance of ending our national nightmare.  Politicians always campaign with promises and here was a guy that actually worked with most of the Congress.  I am tempted to write and recommend Sunny to the Administration for assistance on getting it done.  I agree it is a critical top priority and whining daily on The View is not helping.

My love for Ricky is endless  . I binged watch last season all in one night. I am blown away by his acting  the music is fantastic . I just want to be in a room with him and his comedian friends and watch them make each other laugh.  I watch his YouTube station and he says he knows 100 dogs  in his neighborhood by name and when he meets up with one he feels the the day will be ok.  He cracks me up when he says he sits in an empty restaurant then grumbles when someone sits at next table and he has to listen to slurping or eating noisily. I’m miss comic concerts and art museums. 
Good interview with Sharon. 

• Love 9

I thought today’s discussion of Biden/politics was unusually lucid and insightful (mostly thanks to Ana) but Sunny really needs to change the record re Biden not keeping his promises to the black and brown voters who “put him there.” Last time I checked many people besides black and brown people put him there.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, TimWil said:

I thought today’s discussion of Biden/politics was unusually lucid and insightful (mostly thanks to Ana) but Sunny really needs to change the record re Biden not keeping his promises to the black and brown voters who “put him there.” Last time I checked many people besides black and brown people put him there.

I think she thinks we need to be reminded of this at least 3 times a week. Everyone on the panel is so predictable at this point it’s getting boring. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, TimWil said:

I thought today’s discussion of Biden/politics was unusually lucid and insightful

I enjoyed the discussion, too, they were able to talk about the state of things with nuance.

The best part of the show for me was actually the ending when Whoopi was making fun of the lack of audience and she and Joy dropping Sally Field's famous quote. Well, that and Joy propping her foot onto the table the second time with, "Not bad for a woman my age, huh?" lol

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4

uhoh.  I can see a sitch happening ala the Talk.  why hasnt Joy said anything? Is she going to wait for the last day.  Maybe offer her a sweetheart deal.  More time off.  Two days instead of five, or four. However the hell they schedule.  But they won't because it will set a precedence forever in the future..

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

I think she thinks we need to be reminded of this at least 3 times a week. Everyone on the panel is so predictable at this point it’s getting boring. 

Exactly. It’s becoming tiresome listening to her banging on and on using the exact same point. It ends up sounding self-serving.

• Love 6

Well, get ready to hear it again when Jen Psaki is on.

Doesnt it seem like every day sees a death of someone notable?  Very sad.

Thats funny, Sunny talking about makeup. Isn’t she the one that won’t let Manny see her at bedtime without makeup?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5