Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome To Flatch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked the deadpan humor, but I can't see where this is going. I think they are trying to do a 'rustic' version of Seinfield, so I don't think there will be long story arcs.

I've noticed that when the TV execs decide that a show won't make it, they schedule the show randomly so that it isn't watched. They put lots of money into the show and then they throw it all away to prove that they were right. Welcome to Hollywood, where ego trumps common sense.

• Love 1

I’ve watched the first 2 and I think I’ll stick it out. I like Stifler a lot. I was concerned making the main characters these cousins but they are pretty good and it seems they are world building so there will be other characters to develop. 

Reminds me a lot of Parks and Rec the first season. 

• Love 3
On 3/18/2022 at 11:51 AM, appositival said:

I've noticed that when the TV execs decide that a show won't make it, they schedule the show randomly so that it isn't watched. They put lots of money into the show and then they throw it all away to prove that they were right. Welcome to Hollywood, where ego trumps common sense.

I don't see how that's what's happened here. FOX gave it a lead-in of its only other established live-action comedy.

• Love 2
On 3/25/2022 at 7:45 AM, chediavolo said:

Guess no one is watching this.

As long as it's in Other Comedies, there aren't likely to be many comments.

Watching the psudo-Uber business spiral into destruction was fun.

The tattoo "artist's" samples reminded me of something I once saw on a gentleman's forearm that was either a skull or a light bulb. I really couldn't tell.

• LOL 2

The pastor's dancing didn't look like much, but with a dance team the synchronization would make it more impressive. As a previous professional dancer, he really should have been hitting the sync points harder. If you watch any K-Pop (on YouTube), you can count the beats and see how the dancers stay synchronized.

What is the deal with Kelly's nemesis?

I just watched most of the "Naked Lady Day" episode. Shub hitting on the nude model was extremely cringe-worthy. I'm not sure if Shrub is  supposed to be mentally deficient, but he sure can't read a room.

I'm not generally enamored with watching stupid people doing stupid things (and that is what the news is for). This show still has its moments, but then general theme of immaturity is beginning to drag.

Don't the two main characters also seem like they're being (mis)written as children? I heard one of them make a reference to "back in high school," but the situations they're in seem like what high school freshmen or sophomores would be going through.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Don't the two main characters also seem like they're being (mis)written as children?

I think the takeaway is that anyone with promise has left Flatch for some big city. Over time this will tend to reduce the gene pool to the lowest common denominators. The whole town is now mostly below average and our protagonists are from the shallowest end of that gene pool.

Basically it's Mayberry (from The Andy Griffith Show) after a few more generations and these kids are Otis Campbell's and Barney's grandchildren.

Do the opening scenes (behind the intro text) change each show? They are mostly generic farm/country scenes, so I haven't really been paying enough attention to be sure.

(edited)

Not OK with 

Spoiler

Kelly breaking up Beth and Shrub. It wasn’t Kelly’s place. Yes Beth needed to back off. But they were cute together. All Shrub wanted was a little space. Not to break up. She took out her frustrations with her dad on Beth and Shrub and I hope it’s addressed in the next episode.

Edited by nelroy78
On 4/17/2022 at 7:21 PM, tjsmom said:

Anybody else here that watched You're the Worst?  I recognized Aya Cash right away but it took me til this last episode to realize the other editor was Desmin Borges!

Loved the Gretch and Edgar reunion!

I’m just finding this show now and there’s a lot to like about it. The characters are well done (although Kelly is acted a tad broad imo) and the world is pretty robust. I can see it catching steam soon. 

I also don’t get how old Kelly and Shrub are, though. At first I thought it was like Pen15 where they just play kids but as adults. But they definitely reference being adults themselves so I have no idea. I’ll keep with it for a few more episodes though. Like Parks and Rec, I’m enjoying the side characters. 

• Love 2

This show is really growing on me. I'm glad it was renewed for a second season, especially since many half hour comedies I like just got the axe...

Also, I didn't realize the actor who plays Shrub was also in the Dropout. I watched the entire season and didn't make the connection. 

• Love 2
On 5/6/2022 at 8:29 AM, TimothyQ said:

I also don’t get how old Kelly and Shrub are, though. At first I thought it was like Pen15 where they just play kids but as adults. But they definitely reference being adults themselves so I have no idea

I've assumed they're like 19 or 20. My kid is 20. I've met a couple of her friends. Some of them are not smart and I'm not sure how they will be productive adults. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Shrub should not have postponed college for Kelly.  There are better solutions. I hope he goes and doesn’t decide to forgo  it.  He needs it. They both are in need of some smarts.
Her father is a class A POS.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I'm watching. I still find it very charming, and welcome the addition of Jaime Pressly. Last night's episode with the blackout was very funny. Drunk Cheryl and Father Joe were a hoot, too, as well as Shrub's photo ops with his poor dead lizard. Which was also kind of sweetly melancholy. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I’m watching. I like it. I like the two cousins although they are a little immature. Her father is just awful to his daughter. Not thrilled about Jamie Presley joining the cast. Not a fan.  Did they think the show needed some “star” power? Because I think all that’s going to happen is she’s going to hijack all the scenes. 

I like how they have the written facts  in between some of the scenes about rural life.

3 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Awwww…when Kelly said she was so proud of herself, I got all choked up!

Same! That was a great moment.

I saw that the next episode is on Sunday, after the football game. It seems like someone at FOX really likes this show and wants it to survive.

• Love 3
On 11/18/2022 at 5:26 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Same! That was a great moment.

I saw that the next episode is on Sunday, after the football game. It seems like someone at FOX really likes this show and wants it to survive.

I hope so! I love this show!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Shrub wrestling with his dad was fun. I hope we get to see his dad again. That's some careful casting to get someone who resembles Shrub so strongly. 

Kelly has some unique skills. I'm glad Barb is starting to see them. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

That's some careful casting to get someone who resembles Shrub so strongly. 

Right! I was wondering if that was his real dad lol.

If that ends up being the series finale it was a pretty great one but I'm hoping this gets renewed.

• Like 5