Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Miranda is an idiot.

7 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

It is unbelievable to me that anyone with taste, professionalism, or knowledge of the series (or even films) signed off on this storyline. It's even more unbelievable to me that anyone has enjoyed watching this insulting trainwreck.

It occurred to me after watching this episode Miranda's storyline has been the only one that has continued through each episode.  Carrie and Charlotte are having different storylines each episode.   Actually I'm not really sure you can call what Carrie and Charlotte do each episode storylines.  Why did AJLT become the Miranda show?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

KD seems to be playing Charlotte extra-shrill. She has this almost manic energy about her that's nothing like she was on SATC. It's almost like Charlotte is performing rather than living her life. I wonder if KD has been doing stage work recently?

Miranda is an idiot.

I know I've been stating this in just about every thread (gave you all a break in the ep 7 one) , but I really cannot stand that level of pretense! Every time she speaks to someone it's like she's trying to talk them down from a ledge... someone who's first language isn't English!

No one speaks in that crazy deranged fashion. KD's acting choices leave me bewitched, bothered and bewildered! I ask myself  why? how did she get here? did she watch old SATC shows and notice a girlish quality she no longer sees when she looks in the mirror  and she's overdoing trying to recapture it? She is ruining her reputation and coming across like a LOON! I'll be amazed if she ever gets another acting job.

Even though I've been complaining, mainly about finding out where there show ideas come from and why they have so little to do with married 50something women... I have enjoyed 6, 7 and 8 more than the previous ones. (Save for the vomiting, which I'll never forgive them for.)

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I am not clear on how witnessing her neighbor's breakup lead Carrie to have some sort of realization that ultimately resulted in her eating food in that gorgeous dress on her bed. Does this have something to do with being "cool"? Can somebody shed some light on that?

I'm not sure which feelings this new neighbor stirred in Carrie the most but I'll try to state what I thought:

When the group of young people said "sorry mam"  [after I stopped laughing thinking to myself Carrie: you know that's not the first time you've been called mam! it's probably been happening for 10-15 years now.] Plus I think she got addressed as mam again after that? Anyway,  I surmised she was feeling wistful over her lost youth. Especially going through her clothes to clear stuff out; the togs from her 20's 30's and 40's she showed Seema. I imagined she was thinking about the chapters of her life that are closed forever now. Dating and romance in her 20's +30's, the daring fashions, the not being afraid to risk looking ridiculous, etc.  Her being the kid on the lawn rather than the old man shooing her off. Maybe she felt envious of this jet set young woman who's was new to to NYC? When she went in to her  neighbor's apartment I got that she was checking and ready to get help if the girl appeared to be  anything but passed out from too much to drink... or it appeared to me   a wave of something crossed Carrie's face. Like being ok with  being in this current /different stage of life and not  being the hot 30something like she was when she lived in that apartment and met and kissed her dates goodnight on those steps. Like she could stop worrying about appearing to be a stuffy old lady to her neighbor if she had to ask them to keep the noise down. She might be this girl's friend. Maybe a "cool" friend? Seemed  she was a bit more relaxed and easing into  the "mam" era. Well...not quite. No one likes that! lol

Edited by T Summer
omission
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I am aware that in the age of Glennon Doyle ( I adore her) we should all celebrate a woman who wants "more." But FUCK, that ep was tone-deaf. Miranda, sitting around her million-dollar brownstone that does nothing but appreciate, with a husband who loves her, all the brains in the world, a new degree, a healthy child... and that's not enough. 

Wait till she realizes Che is going to be gone a lot.  Unless she travels with them Miranda is going to be alone a lot.

20 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I guess Miranda (Cynthia, since I don't buy this being Miranda Hobbes) doesn't realize how fucking 1% she sounds right now.

I was telling a friend recently that I really haven't liked Cynthia Nixon since she came out and left her partner.  It has nothing to do with her being gay.  It just seems like her personality changed and she rubs me the wrong way.  And now that seems to have transferred to Miranda.

22 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

If this storyline was reversed, man wanting more and wanting out, people would be disgusted by it.

This happens so much and we are disgusted by it.  How many times have we seen men leave their wives for younger "more vibrant" women?  I'm not even a Steve fan but he deserves better than Miranda and I hope he finds it.

25 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

In a few years, you'll tire of Che too - if they don't tire of you first

Che has a completely different lifestyle than Miranda is used to.  Traveling.  Being very sexually blunt.  Are we to believe she will just easily adapt to that?  I think we are going to see her become super clingy and it will turn off Che.

27 minutes ago, T Summer said:

a wave of something crossed Carrie's face. Like being ok with  being in this current /different stage of life and not  being the hot 30something like she was when she lived in that apartment and met and kissed her dates goodnight on those steps. Like she could stop worrying about appearing to be a stuffy old lady to her neighbor if she had to ask them to keep the noise down. She might be this girl's friend. Maybe a "cool" friend? Seemed  she was a bit more relaxed and easing into  the "mam" era. Well...not quite. No one likes that! lol

This is what I thought AJLT was going to be.  A passing of the torch so to speak. 

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I think someone had posted in one of the other threads that Cynthia Nixon was reluctant to do the show and only agreed to it if Miranda could have this particular trajectory. I never read any sources for this but I think I remember someone mentioning it. If true, then that would explain it. I'm sure they wouldn't have done the show without 2 of the 4 OG characters. 

I read a quote from CN where she does say that.  It might have been in the recent HBO book.  It still feels like that storyline has taken over the whole show.

11 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

So I was disappointed that the episode ended and I was unable to get the schaden of seeing Miranda discover Che with someone else in Cleveland. I certainly hope that happens because sorry, Miranda, but I simply dislike you now. I find you pathetic in so many ways.

While I would so love to see that if this putrid storyline is true to CN's life her and Che will become a solid couple.  

10 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I truly don't mind being called ma'am. I'm 52 and I've earned that respect!

If someone calls me ma'am (I'm 53) I playfully cringe and tell them ouch that hurts.  They usually laugh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Like these characters, I was single and dating a lot longer than many people. Even though my life didn't much resemble theirs, just the trials and tribulations of dating in one's 30s was very relatable. For much of my 20s and all of my 30s I longed for a good partner. I had too much drama in my dating life and I longed for "boring." I really and truly did. By the time I met my husband, I'd resigned myself to the fact that I might be on my own forever. I started dating him at 42 and we got married at 45. We're now 52. He's not the most exciting man I've been with, but he's a rock-solid partner and I'm grateful for him and for our routine.

I got married in my early 30s. Became a widow in my early 40s and now I am happily single in my early 50s.  Things that were important to you in your 30s aren't always what is important to you as you get older.   Depending on how Carrie comes out of her widowhood we might see her grow and become a more independent secure woman. Charlotte seems to be the same.  But Miranda has just regressed so much.  As I said on a previous thread she isn't in love with Che. She is in lust with them.  She was unhappy in her marriage and was looking for an escape hatch.  If I was writing this show I would have  her realize that and not return to Steve but tell Che she needs to find herself before she can be with someone else.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

This is what I thought AJLT was going to be.  A passing of the torch so to speak. 

Great. 8 full commercially uninterrupted episodes in and they managed to touch on that element in one scene.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I agree with those who are saying that this episode captured the tone of SATC much more than many of the earlier episodes.  SATC had dramatic elements but it was fundamentally a comedy, with a lightness to it that most of AJLT hasn't had.  Up until now, AJLT has felt very heavy.  AJLT has been primarily a drama with some comedic elements. If AJLT had suddenly materialized without SATC ever having existed, it would be in the "Drama" portion of this website.   I'm glad to see that the show is moving more towards the "Comedy" section, even with Miranda's serious storyline.

I liked that the show had Steve blatantly say that Miranda has made him feel like he wasn't good enough over and over again, and also that he pointed out she hadn't really thought at all about how her decision affected him.  I think Miranda is in for a rude awakening in Cleveland.  Che definitely warned her about being non-traditional, but Miranda wasn't listening. 

I am now convinced that Miranda's overlaughing at Che's jokes is supposed to show how much Miranda is living a fantasy.  I used to think that the writers thought Che was funnier than we do, but I think Miranda's overreaction is deliberate.  Or am I giving the writers too much credit?    

I don't understand the setup for Carrie's apartment building.  There's no apartment number on the door of her downstairs neighbor's place, but I think there is one on her own door.  And I don't think I've ever seen an apartment building with a double door entrance like her neighbor has; it seems easier to break into, particularly so close to the main entrance to the street.  And I guess they don't have apartment mailboxes, but the mail is just left on the table in the entryway???   

Hard to believe there are only two episodes left in the season.  It feels more like the show is at the midpoint of the season rather than almost over. There are a gazillion storylines, and I don't see how any of them are going to be wrapped up so quickly.      

Edited by mikem
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I may be proven wrong, but I do feel like Miranda is ultimately headed for a big disappointment. 

But would Cynthia Nixon allow that?  I mean we can all see what should be coming but if she had enough influence to insist they tell this storyline will she let it play out what would probably be the most realistic way?

4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't like Miranda's behavior, but no one should stay in a relationship because others might envy what they currently have.

I agree Miranda shouldn't stay in a marriage she no longer wants to be in but she acted like Steve's feelings didn't matter at all.   And let's not lose sight of the fact she only told Steve because Che insisted she do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Like many others  here I though Big should have been in the rear view for years when we catch up  the girls in the beginning of AJLT. I said it should've been a divorce after a brief marriage because what challenges can you write for someone who's been left like a billion dollars? That way we wouldn't have to watch sad distraught Carrie AGAIN! anyway, on to Steve and Miranda...

Just as theirs was an unusual love story with  and the way they got together... Miranda proposing and hating traditional wedding venues,  pouffy white dresses, icky romance and the secluded cabin, maybe Miranda could  be separated from Steve after going to him and stating she feels discontentment. That maybe she should possibly be on her own again.  Brady is grown now, they've done the raising  him together. I could see Steve giving her the chance to explore that. We could have picked up  right there.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Let’s not forget Miranda’s limp attempt at trying to “fix things” with Steve consisted of trying to recreate her kitchen bang with Che and when Steve couldn’t measure up to the Che fantasy in Miranda’s mind, she dropped the whole thing without a second thought. Just gross.

I couldn't believe last ep when he stopped to wash his hands she glared at him with the same expression she did at that market when he was fumbling around trying to remember where he left his wallet... like he was pitiful and inept.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Plus, its finally made clear that the awful outfit Carrie’s been seen wearing (her smoker’s outfit) is meant to be a joke.

Don't you love how Carrie has had this epiphany  where  she has learned very late in life that cigarettes make your clothes,hands   and hair stink?

and in other news, high heels are uncomfortable?

A-mazing

• LOL 16
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Evie said:

They should have made Che an activist or inspirational speaker because they are not funny, and Miranda laughing hysterically at everything they say makes her look nuts.

A local politician would be another good bet (and that's actually an occupation I could see Miranda naturally connecting with). Stand-up comedian was a bad use of Sara Ramirez. Either the character or the actor needed to be different. I never watched Grays, so I didn't know, but this episode showed me that SR has really good dramatic chops. I'm not saying they could never be good in a well-written comedy (the would-be "funny" writing for that podcast we saw was bad, and the stand-up show was worse, and neither was SR's doing), but the storyline would be, oh, 25% less terrible if we weren't supposed to accept the character as hilarious. 

I liked Carrie's new neighbor. 

About the guy's towel dropping: SATC did full-frontal male once in a blue moon, didn't it? I think Samantha's love interest played by James Remar bared all (possibly in a pool or a shower scene?). But I watch The Righteous Gemstones, so I'm inured by now. There are more schlongs than there are crosses on that show.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

OMG I can't believe I watched this bullshit and I swore I wouldn't give them ratings.

I know I shouldn't but I'm taking this personally. That laundry room scene meant something very special to me. Miranda and Steve were my couple. 

I am aware that in the age of Glennon Doyle ( I adore her) we should all celebrate a woman who wants "more." But FUCK, that ep was tone-deaf. Miranda, sitting around her million-dollar brownstone that does nothing but appreciate, with a husband who loves her, all the brains in the world, a new degree, a healthy child... and that's not enough. 

Steve is right. He was always there. She yoyo'ed the poor guy for years. I guess Miranda (Cynthia, since I don't buy this being Miranda Hobbes) doesn't realize how fucking 1% she sounds right now. Does she have any clue how many people would KILL for her life? For the consistency of a man who shows up for her, who admits his mistakes and tries to be better? Who WANTS to sit with you at 55 and eat ice cream and watch TV and enjoy the fucking home you built and talk about your kid? Some people never come close to that.

If this storyline was reversed, man wanting more and wanting out, people would be disgusted by it. I know the writers and stupid MPK think they've done something progressive and revolutionary, but they really should go back and watch the beginning of the series. They've not only shredded Miranda, they regressed what parts of her are left. They destroyed her evolution and character arc. Now she's just that uppity, nasty bitch from the beginning of the series who dismissed Steve as beneath her. They undid everything from season 4 on.

Miranda, take it from someone who knows: "MORE" is an illusion. You are chasing a fantasy, some utopia that cannot be found on this complicated, messy planet. In a few years, you'll tire of Che too - if they don't tire of you first. There's nothing wrong with growing old with a person and settling into a nice, quiet life.

My mom and dad used to sit on the couch and eat ice cream at night while they watched Jeopardy. Then she passed away. My  dad can't even look at ice cream now. Those little moments, the personal rituals, mean EVERYTHING to some people. And to have Miranda, Cynthia, the writers - just shit all over that really pisses me off. 

These are the most clueless fuckwits to ever put a show on the air. I am HORRIFIED that they were paid for this. I'm saying it now and I mean it: I will never watch anything Cynthia Nixon is in again, and I'll avoid anything MPK is involved in like the plague. I hope neither of them ever work again. 

Yes to so much of your post! I was really moved by what you had to say. Miranda seems to just toss everything aside for a shiny new object (person), and Steve deserves more respect from her. That said, I have seen some callousness and arrogance from people who decide they    want or deserve “more,” so I guess it’s not totally out of line, but it’s been handled so poorly on the show as it seems we are still expected to cheer Miranda on.

I’m not a huge fan of “I’m a WIDOW” Carrie, but it would actually be kind of sweet if we got to see her a bit nostalgic about her life with Big—not just what we saw in the original series, but in what we missed between the shows and movies  and “today.” There have been touches of it. But is been more painful than sweet. Which i know takes time in real life as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

A local politician would be another good bet (and that's actually an occupation I could see Miranda naturally connecting with). Stand-up comedian was a bad use of Sara Ramirez. Either the character or the actor needed to be different. I never watched Grays, so I didn't know, but this episode showed me that SR has really good dramatic chops. I'm not saying they could never be good in a well-written comedy (the would-be "funny" writing for that podcast we saw was bad, and the stand-up show was worse, and neither was SR's doing), but the storyline would be, oh, 25% less terrible if we weren't supposed to accept the character as hilarious. 

That’s it for me. I don’t find Sara’s ACTING bad—just that we are supposed to believe that this obnoxious character is supposed to be devastatingly, gravitationally attractive and funny. 

• Love 21

Regarding Harry’s dick….was that a Boogie Nights type of prop, or does Evan Handler got it goin’ on like that?  If he does, I might have to shove his wife to the side because, rowrrrrrrr!!  What a stupid thing for Charlotte to say, ‘checking to see if he has cancer’; I’m sure Lily knows her parents still get it on.  And I would have been a bit uptight too seeing my 15 year old daughter giving a womanly pose, do you know how many sickos are out there getting their jollies watching young girls like that?!

That’s alright, Steve….Yogisbooboo will hold and comfort you to her ample bosom.  What?!

Cosign with all the ‘Miranda’s an asshole’ comments….when she said she was going to surprise Che I went ut-oh; whenever you try to surprise someone, most cases YOU are the one that’s surprised.  If that’s going to be her karma then I say bring it on.  And while Che did say they loved Miranda, I didn’t get the vibe that it was I’m IN love with you. 

That was a beautiful dress Carrie had on at the end of the eppy, with her hair in a bun.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

I just watched it because, except for the comments on Miranda's story, people seemed to like this one. I fast-forwarded through Che on stage at the beginning and watched everything else from that point. Is CN that good an actor or does her wife have something to worry about? The goo goo eyes Miranda was making at Che when she heard "I love you"....seemed a little too over-the-top but also possibly real. I don't think this will end well. 

37 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Stand-up comedian was a bad use of Sara Ramirez.

I think they made Che a stand-up comedian because one of the show's writers also does stand-up. These folks are writing what they know, which doesn't necessarily fit with these characters.

Carrie's neighbor should use Carrie and her "vintage" clothes and shoes for inspiration, but we've only got a few episodes left so that won't happen.  Looking forward to seeing if next week's episode is a good as this one.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Organic storytelling is really tough to pull off. There's a reason people revere The Sopranos and Mad Men. Those were messy, mean, complicated, 3D people (men and women). I'd argue that on a comic level the original SATC was right up there. Carrie was imperfect. All of them had their flaws, but we rooted for them. That kind of characterization and plot development takes innate understanding of the human condition, sharp wit, and a keen insight into compelling storytelling. For every David Chase and Matt Weiner, we have a Michael Patrick King.

Yes.  They all had flaws.  They all made mistakes. But we understood them and forgave them because they were true to their characters.

5 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Here's the real rub: People can smell lazy, shitty storytelling a mile away. That's what's happening here. It's not phobias, or a hatred of women, or a discomfort with aging sexuality, or nostalgia, or how close viewers are to the characters - the storytelling is just.fucking.lazy. This is Michael Patrick King's "bespoke writing" at work.

What makes it so maddening is MPK and two of the writers (Eliza and Julie) wrote for SATC.  They on some level have to realize they have written such awful stories.  

Unfortunately, that lazy little trope of MPK's dovetailed too conveniently with Cynthia Nixon's activism, and she somehow decided to foist that on a character even when it made no sense and went totally against the canonical series. Any showrunner worth his salt would have said no and moved forward with plotlines that were current but also made sense. 

It seems the only actress MPK ever disagreed with was someone other than Cynthia Nixon.  

8 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

You can bet if they hadn't started out by lazily reusing a leaked plotline from an unmade film, they'd have put Big in jail by ep. 5.

You know that might not  have been a bad storyline.  Big is arrested for some white collar crime, maybe insider trading or whatever, his assets are frozen and Carrie has to support herself.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Here's the real rub: People can smell stale, shitty storytelling a mile away. That's what's happening here. It's not phobias, or a hatred of women, or a discomfort with aging sexuality, or nostalgia, or how close viewers are to the characters - the storytelling is just.fucking.lazy. This is Michael Patrick King's "bespoke writing" at work.

There are some very good shows and movies dealing with women at this stage in their lives, dealing with breakups, love, sex and the challenges of growing old in a world where a women's expiration date seems to be set at 35. One favorite is "Something's Got To Give" (also notable for Diane Keaton doing her first nude scene while in her 50s and getting it on with a hot, young Keanu Reeves). You can tell this kind of story about reaching your 50s and having questions about your life and if you're really happy. It's been done.

But ruining Steve's character in order for Miranda to try batting for the other team just shows a lack of thought. It was possible to write this in a way that is respectful of both characters, even if Steve ended up hurt by Miranda asking for a divorce. And it doesn't help that it does come across as a thinly veiled attempt to have Miranda meld with the actress playing her, or that they're linking her to the most obnoxious character ever introduced on the show.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

THIS. This is the problem.

Organic storytelling is really tough to pull off. There's a reason people revere The Sopranos and Mad Men. Those were messy, mean, complicated, 3D people (men and women). I'd argue that on a comic level the original SATC was right up there. Carrie was imperfect. All of them had their flaws, but we rooted for them. That kind of characterization and plot development takes innate understanding of the human condition, sharp wit, and a keen insight into compelling storytelling. For every David Chase and Matt Weiner, we have a Michael Patrick King.

Mad Men is precisely the example I’ve been thinking of this whole time—the characters were flawed humans—to varying degrees of depth—but very rarely did I question *their choices as characters* or sit there in disbelief saying “Don (or Peggy, or whomever) would NOT have made that decision.” They could all be pretty awful at times but we also saw the consequences of their choices. Not so with this show—so many of the main characters make decisions that just bulldoze through reality in order to Make a Point, and the characters in their orbit are primarily just there to help that point along. 

• Love 11

Watched it. The only thing I can say was that I appreciated Steve's remarks about how Miranda yo-yo's him all these years till they finally got to a comfortable place.  I just don't understand why their sex went down the toilet.

My prediction is that Miranda will show up in Cleveland and find Che in bed with another woman. They will tell Miranda "Hey I told you I am not a traditional type person."  Miranda will get hurt which at this point, I am glad about it cause she is a shit character.  (My biggest hope which they won't do is have her run back to Steve who will reject her. *sigh* A girl can wish)

I love the fact that Charlotte came up with the checking your dad's penis excuse.  Question - do you all think that Lily believe it or is also using it as an excuse when she asked Charlotte about "if dad had cancer". (I think Lily actually believed the lie).

The neighbour I really didn't care much about that storyline but agree with the posters above that Carrie looked absolutely ridiculous in that getup to go for a smoke. And fucking rubber gloves? Please Carrie.

Meh on the man candy and full frontal.  At this point I think it's just shock factor for viewers to watch the show this dumpster fire. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Mad Men is precisely the example I’ve been thinking of this whole time—the characters were flawed humans—to varying degrees of depth—but very rarely did I question *their choices as characters* or sit there in disbelief saying “Don (or Peggy, or whomever) would NOT have made that decision.” They could all be pretty awful at times but we also saw the consequences of their choices.

Yes.  Weiner knew not all the characters were going to be well liked.  He even had the main characters do things that make them unlikable.  But like you said we didn't question it because you understood why they did what they did. 

However with AJLT we get this

6 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Not so with this show—so many of the main characters make decisions that just bulldoze through reality in order to Make a Point, and the characters in their orbit are primarily just there to help that point along. 

I always thought of SATC as character driven.  I would say AJLT is plot driven but what I'm seeing is barely plots.  How about AJLT is woke issue driven?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

If it wasn't for this terrible, terrible Miranda story, this would actually be a decent episode. Carrie making peace with the fact that she isn't the young woman she used felt like the kind of story that I hoped this show would tell, and I really liked her neighbor. I took her reaction to see her neighbor kicking her (now ex) boyfriend out was remembering that her more carefree younger life had a lot of problems as well, and that she's more or less happy with being in her 50's with all of her life experience and long marriage. I am also glad that Lily got a bigger part of the Charlotte story, she has been put a bit on the backburner compared to Rock and this, again, felt like the kind of story I wanted to see on this show. Charlotte having to talk to her teenage daughter about sex is the kind of wacky hijinks I signed up for. 

Unfortunately, even with two actually decent plots, the entire episode was destroyed by this awful, painful, character destroying Miranda story. Its so bizarre, it really does feel like we are heading for a big moment when Miranda realizes that she has made a horrible mistake, Che was never actually serious about Miranda, and that Miranda has been a huge asshole. In the break up scene, she comes off as so unsympathetic, telling Steve how he "isn't happy" like she's trying to make herself look better, even as he says how he is happy with their life, acting like the whole break up is just a formality that she has to mark off of her to do list before running off to her new dream life, being giddy talking about how she met someone while Steve is clearly about to start sobbing, it just feels so weird that we are apparently supposed to root for her. Steve was so sweet and sympathetic and Miranda was so cold to the man she has been married to for decades, if I didn't know that this show had become a self insert fanfic for Cynthia Nixon I would say that we were supposed to be on Steve's team. Then with Miranda's manic giggling during Che's comedy show and her general crazy eyes every time they talk, it feels like we are going to find out that Miranda is delusional and setting herself up for a fail, like when she gets to Cleveland she is going to see Che with their tongue down another woman's throat. But I guess Cynthia is just really bad at acting like she's in love. If Cynthia wanted to just tell her own life story, she should have written an autobiography, instead of grafting her own life onto Miranda, destroying her and one of the shows most endearing couples.  

Poor Steve, I just felt so bad for him, he really did seem totally shocked, no matter how much Miranda tried to play this like it was inevitable and painless. It was clearly painless for her, but not for Steve, who was so obviously gutted. I felt so much for him when he was asking what was so wrong with their life of watching TV and having ice cream, tearing up, you know that he was still sitting on his coach in shock while Miranda giddily told Carrie about how great it was, her only take away was, of course, just about her and her own feelings, babbling about being in a romcom like a moron. Seriously, if I didn't know better, I would say that we weren't supposed to root for her, she has just become so horrible. 

• Love 23

Miranda is unemployed, correct? (All three women are, unless you count Carrie's role at Che's terrible "podcast?")  Are we to believe that Miranda made enough money at her law firm to live on indefinitely? I'm so confused by this. We saw her briefly attending classes, and I'm unclear on what her plan/goal is and how she intends to support herself after the divorce. Steve appears to still own the bar, but doesn't go there in the evening, so presumably he's got someone else managing it and if it's been open this long, it must be doing OK.

For those speculating about what will happen next with Miranda the preview for next week did give a pretty good idea.

• Love 6

I agree with most of the previous comments and hate how Miranda treated Steve. Sadly, this scenario plays out quite often for people in their 50s, although not always including a mid-life change of sexual preference. When one partner finds someone new and "exciting" they tend to justify a breakup with a lot of talk about being unhappy for a long time, the marriage having gone stale and boring, they need to "be themselves", etc. What's upsetting most of us is that we never saw Miranda tell Steve that she was unhappy and suggest they possibly do something other than sit on the couch, watch TV, and have a "dessert ritual". Oh right, have they had marriage counseling since the second movie? See, I can't even remember.  

And of course the show wasted a couple of minutes by having Miranda impatiently telling Steve to put in his other hearing aid, and him fumbling around to find it in the couch cushions. Geez, I wasn't aware that there was a 20-year age difference between them, but the show is trying hard to make it seem that way. Are we supposed to sympathize with Miranda there? She was just a bitch. #TeamSteve

Oh, and "I hate traditional" is going to come back and bite her in the ass. I mean, I fervently hope so. I sure didn't hear Che saying she wanted to settle into a monogamous relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Hahaha, the "checking your dad's penis for cancer" line was some quick thinking on Charlotte's part 🤣

As for Che...they was trying to be very clear to Miranda that they is not up to anything "traditional"...meaning Miranda shouldn't expect them to be faithful. I think Miranda got caught up in the moment and didn't realize what she agreed to in that moment. And she won't be okay when Che expects her to accompany them to orgies or threesomes.

I am not clear on how witnessing her neighbor's breakup lead Carrie to have some sort of realization that ultimately resulted in her eating food in that gorgeous dress on her bed. Does this have something to do with being "cool"? Can somebody shed some light on that?

This is Miranda’s “But you’d be going for you” moment reminiscent of Carrie’s plan to move to Paris with Big. She’s just too out of it to see it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Regarding Harry’s dick….was that a Boogie Nights type of prop, or does Evan Handler got it goin’ on like that?  If he does, I might have to shove his wife to the side because, rowrrrrrrr!!  What a stupid thing for Charlotte to say, ‘checking to see if he has cancer’; I’m sure Lily knows her parents still get it on.  And I would have been a bit uptight too seeing my 15 year old daughter giving a womanly pose, do you know how many sickos are out there getting their jollies watching young girls like that?!

I follow Mr. Handler on Twitter. Is it possible to awkwardly read his Tweets, after seeing his full frontal? My, my....

I just read the Vanity Fair article where the writers attempt to justify the assassination of Steve's character, by saying, "there was backlash over Big's death, too." Seriously? Fuck off, Julie. Big was a piece of shit to Carrie for most of SATC. I didn't care that he died. I was more interested over the reaction to Peleton being blamed for it (a la Crock Pot backlash over Jack Pearson). To me, Harry and Steve are the "good guys." The ones no one thinks are out there. The only thing I hated about Big dying was that only ONE PERSON brought up that he was actually an asshole to Carrie at the funeral. Everyone else kissed his ass. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22
20 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I follow Mr. Handler on Twitter. Is it possible to awkwardly read his Tweets, after seeing his full frontal? My, my....

I just read the Vanity Fair article where the writers attempt to justify the assassination of Steve's character, by saying, "there was backlash over Big's death, too." Seriously? Fuck off, Julia. Big was a piece of shit to Carrie for most of SATC. I didn't care that he died. I was more interested over the reaction to Peleton being blamed for it (a la Crock Pot backlash over Jack Pearson). To me, Harry and Steve are the "good guys." The ones no one thinks are out there. The only thing I hated about Big dying was that only ONE PERSON brought up that he was actually an asshole to Carrie at the funeral. Everyone else kissed his ass. 

Thanks for linking to that article. I couldn't find it again after reading it last week and wanting to refer to it in a post.

So at the end the writers claim the final four episodes have the humor. Hmmm, where was the humor in this episode? Lily getting a door slammed into her head? That Charlotte claimed she was checking Harry's penis for cancer? Carrie looking like a crazy lady in her smoking outfit? Miranda idiotically saying five times "You still blow Harry?!" -- like she's so funny and clever. Her 55-year-old tongue  just lately learned to lick pussy, so what's her point? Yes, it's not unheard of for middle-aged people who love and enjoy their partners to still engage in and enjoy oral sex. Made me sad because it underscored that poor Steve probably hasn't got head in a decade. Oh, I really hope we see him with a lovely woman at the end of episode 10. Maybe a friend of Aiden's. And that he fights for his full share of the marital assets!

Yeah, it was a laugh riot.

Oh, I did get a chuckle when Carrie's podcast pal whispered, "I'll bring the gun tomorrow."

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

And that he fights for his full share of the marital assets!

It would be great if they had a pre nup and what was his and what was hers before they were married was still theirs.  Which would mean Steve has the bar and Miranda has.......college tuition to pay?  Their house would have to be sold or one would have to buy out the other.  Knowing these writers Steve will be gracious and let Miranda keep the house and probably continue paying the bills.

• Love 4

That scene between Miranda and Steve made me feel really sad. David knocked it out of park, and yes, even CN. When Steve was saying it's been up and down for a long time, and it finally came to a steady, stable place, and not realizing that what was steady and stable for him wasn't what Miranda was exactly looking for was a gut punch. And I also feel Miranda saying she wants more and has gotten tired of their routine.

I'm in a 11-year marriage and we have two kids, nice house, nice jobs that pay great and while we have been generally happy (at least I hope my husband feels the same way), there are times where I think, "is this all there is to this?" It's human nature to yearn for something, to want for excitement, to do something that breaks the routine. With that said, being with someone else other than my husband has never crossed my mind. It's more like, should we look into moving into a different state? What if I find a job totally out of my expertise? I'm thinking of going back to school again. Or maybe next year, we can take a vacation to this place, etc. 

My guess is Miranda is currently acting on endorphins. Because this new thing to her makes her feel excited, and like she said, alive again. The thing is though, all relationships start on endorphins. There's always that excited, cannot-get-enough-of-you phase. Then eventually, it all starts to stabilize when your body doesn't rely on endorphins anymore, but on some type of familiarity and routine with your partner.

The thing is, does she realize that Che just excites her for now? Or is she really in the long haul with and for Che? Because assuming the best case scenario is the Che IS also in the long haul for Miranda, their relationship is eventually going to turn into what she had with Steve. Che is not going to give her mind-blowing orgasms  everyday until she's 80 years old. It will not be stand-up comedy routines and shows all over the country for the next 40 years. Eventually, it's going to be "regular" sex and watching Netflix while eating ice cream or chips or whatever else. All relationships eventually come down to earth. So like most said above, I think Miranda will be in a world of disappointment soon after. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

In regards to Lily, I find it ironic that the writers of this show have jumped through hoops to wedge minority characters into this show but, save for this episode, have all but ignored the only minority character from the original series.  They could have explored how Lily feels about being a transracial adoptee and her experience as an Asian-American during Covid times but instead the show decided to basically shove her to the side all season and concentrate on Charlotte's white daughter.  Which is how you can tell the difference between showrunners/writers who actually have something to say on a topic or a point of view to express and those who are just trying to check off boxes for points.

Also, Miranda's the worst and deserves to die alone.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Here's the real rub: People can smell stale, shitty storytelling a mile away. That's what's happening here. It's not phobias, or a hatred of women, or a discomfort with aging sexuality, or nostalgia, or how close viewers are to the characters - the storytelling is just.fucking.lazy. This is Michael Patrick King's "bespoke writing" at work.

Unfortunately, that trope of MPK's dovetailed too conveniently with Cynthia Nixon's activism, and she somehow decided to foist her own narrative on a character even when it made no sense and went totally against the canonical series. Any showrunner worth his salt would have said no and moved forward with plotlines that were current but also made sense. 

I agree with you that this is bad, lazy writing.  Nothing is organic, it's all being foist upon the characters.  But I do think the age and relative inexperience of the writer of this episode has something to do with that.  She's 29.  Do 29 year olds really think 55 is that old?  They're still writing Miranda and especially Steve like they're one step away from a nursing home!  I'm 63 and feel insulted by the insinuation about older people.  If I feel that way I can't imagine how 55 year olds must feel!  David Eigenberg may have hearing aids but he doesn't act like a doddering idiot like Steve is here.  Geez, my 90 year old father acted younger than these people!  

And Charlotte - They're making her tippy toe around her kids like she's worried she might make a mistake.  Another doddering "old" person who has no clue what it's like to be a young person and completely out of touch.  Her remark about how "we weren't that open about things" in "her day" was another ageist insult.  My husband and I had to take our jaws off the floor.  If Charlotte was stuck in some 1950's sitcom in her teenage years that was a HER thing, not a thing common among women born in her time or even in MY time.  

• Love 13

Some random thoughts: Why is this show almost promoting smoking? Did we really need the time-wasting scenes of Carrie and Seema talking about smoking? Carrie has been a smoker for maybe 20 years of her life, and a non-smoker for maybe 15 years. I get that she took it up again as a regression after Big's death, but she's just now realizing that cigarette smoke stinks and the smell gets into everything including your skin, hair, and breath? (Not to mention lungs.) You'd have thought that in the past she wouldn't have wanted to stink up and ruin her prized clothing collection. Was it all so that we could see her looking like a crazy old lady in that "smoking outfit", walking around in it without even buckling her shoes? She really doesn't care what the neighbors think, does she? I guess it doesn't matter since she has no relationship with them... until the cool young new neighbor sees her. Hope being spotted looking like that convinces Carrie to give up the habit and the outfit and act like she has sense. ETA: Carrie also throws her half-smoked cigarette into the street after Lisette spots her in her crazy old lady outfit. Littering by throwing your butts in the street is nasty.

I did get another chuckle from the totally obvious product placement of a nearly empty tube of Tom's toothpaste on Carrie's bathroom sink. Ridiculous.

Also ridiculous: Carrie standing on a step-stool in heels! She had hip surgery and yet continues to wear heels, even while doing chores in her apartment. She (and SJP?) really has a problem with being seen as short, doesn't she? She's gonna have another surgery when she falls and breaks something. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12

100% Team Steve.  Maybe he can move to Chicago and try a new career as a firefighter? ;)

I have absolutely no idea what the writers are thinking.  Why ruin Miranda like that?  Life at 55 is not the same as at 35.  That's just the way it goes.  But to have her throw everything away because she suddenly finds her "soulmate"?  No. She isn't in love, she is in lust.  And what about her son?  No thoughts of him at all?  

I can deal with Charlotte's storyline, navigating having teenagers, and even Carrie's, because people do die unexpectedly. But Miranda is a hard no.  I hope Che dumps her and she ends up alone.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

100% Team Steve.  Maybe he can move to Chicago and try a new career as a firefighter? ;)

I have absolutely no idea what the writers are thinking.  Why ruin Miranda like that?  Life at 55 is not the same as at 35.  That's just the way it goes.  But to have her throw everything away because she suddenly finds her "soulmate"?  No. She isn't in love, she is in lust.  And what about her son?  No thoughts of him at all?  

I can deal with Miranda's storyline, navigating having teenagers, and even Carrie's, because people do die unexpectedly. But Miranda is a hard no.  I hope Che dumps her and she ends up alone.

Now that we've seen Brady as an LGBTQ+ "ally" I'm looking forward to the scene where Miranda, his mom, tells him she's divorcing his father because she's in love with the non-binary comedian/activist he saw at the rally.

The only way I will like this story line is if Miranda gets slammed with the realization that she's just another of Che's many sex partners and we end the season with Miranda having to face being all alone and sad, as she almost did on that New Year's Eve in the first movie. This time maybe Carrie will let her just sit with the consequences of her actions. As Carrie said, "Being alone in theory is different from being alone in reality." 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I always thought of SATC as character driven.  I would say AJLT is plot driven but what I'm seeing is barely plots.  How about AJLT is woke issue driven?

Yep. Like a modern day morality play.

• Love 3

Miranda isn't happy with Steve, and her life with him. It doesnt really matter how good he is to her, she's not feeling it - no amount of couples counseling is going to change that. I'm not sure why people want her to continue settling with Steve when she can find someone who excites her and makes her happy - right now that is Che, but if that doesnt work out she can find someone else. 

• Love 11