Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

• Start Topic

The ageism in this show is unabashed and appalling.   How many times must we be subjected to the characters 1) citing their ages, and on the heels of that, 2) lamenting "we are old"?

We saw it again in this episode, with middle-aged octogenarian Steve fumbling for his hearing aids and insisting to Miranda, "We're 55.  We're old."

I'm was born a few years before they were but not once in my life have I ever referred to myself as old.   I don't use phrases such as "I'm too old for this" or expressions like "as the kids say ..."   I don't have a broken hip.  I don't have hearing aids.  

Maybe Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte feel "old" because they don't DO much but sit around eating, drinking and nitpicking the details of their privileged, uneventful lives.   Carrie's number one priority seems to be cataloging her clothes.  WTF?  I work about 70 hours a week, I'm researching and writing a book in my spare time, and last summer I spent many liberating hours downhill skateboarding.  I don't have the time, luxury or desire to be "old."

IMO, "old" is a state of mind and this show is going out of its way to gaslight a large portion of the audience into believing their lives may as well be over.   It's shameful and insulting.

Edited by millennium
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

Something occurred to me--Me-randa did her whole stupid skulking out of Che's audience because she said "Brady doesn't know about us." Brady's already met Che--they met at Big's funeral. Brady knows that his mother knows Che. Unless you two are making out or something he would have no reason to suspect anything if he sees you together. God, the whole scene was just stupid. Just another attempt to create a conflict where none existed, instead of dealing with the actual ramifications of blowing up your life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Something occurred to me--Me-randa did her whole stupid skulking out of Che's audience because she said "Brady doesn't know about us." Brady's already met Che--they met at Big's funeral. Brady knows that his mother knows Che. Unless you two are making out or something he would have no reason to suspect anything if he sees you together. God, the whole scene was just stupid. Just another attempt to create a conflict where none existed, instead of dealing with the actual ramifications of blowing up your life.

Those were my first thoughts too, but to be fair I can understand Miranda freaking out and not being able to think straight. 

On 2/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

On 2/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, RealHousewife said:

Those were my first thoughts too, but to be fair I can understand Miranda freaking out and not being able to think straight. 

On 2/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, chitowngirl said:

Yes, Miranda could have easily just been there to support the cause, but NOOOO!

People doing wrong are hyper sensitive. If  Miranda was actually there just as a friend (even if she had a little crush on Che) she would’ve been fine with Brady seeing her, because she wasn’t DOING anything wrong. But because Miranda was being a dishonest liar and cheating on her husband, in her mind just standing there would be cause for Brady to freak out. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

People doing wrong are hyper sensitive. If  Miranda was actually there just as a friend (even if she had a little crush on Che) she would’ve been fine with Brady seeing her, because she wasn’t DOING anything wrong. But because Miranda was being a dishonest liar and cheating on her husband, in her mind just standing there would be cause for Brady to freak out. 

This. She probably had a whole paranoid train of thought running through her mind. Brady knows she knows Che. They had the unpleasant confrontation about pot right in front of him. Maybe he'll bring that up and wonder why she's there. "Are you two friends now?" Then, what if she stammers and makes him suspicious? What if he tells Steve how she acted? 

The attempt to skulk out was very on-brand for cheating Miranda as well as for the version of Miranda that made a fool of herself on meeting Nya.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

The attempt to skulk out was very on-brand for cheating Miranda as well as for the version of Miranda that made a fool of herself on meeting Nya.

I did laugh at Che imitating Miranda sneaking away. Che nailed it, and how ridiculous it was, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just rewatched this and Miranda’s version to Carrie of breaking the news to Steve proves that she is in permanent La-La-Land. “I didn’t make him feel bad.” The fuck you didn’t! You told him you weren’t happy and you met someone else! Just because you told him it wasn’t his fault didn’t make him feel any less bad!

Maybe if she handed it with a little more sensitivity and sadness that she hurt Steve, it wouldn’t have felt so cheap. But nope, she just goes off to Che, blathering to Carrie about how she’s in a rom com.

I never really liked the old Miranda that much, but this Miranda is just despicable.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Only a pathological narcissist would say something that profoundly self-serving.

Even worse was what she said earlier to Che: “My home is already wrecked!” Oldest excuse in the book. You’re the one wrecking it!

• Applause 6