Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Aulty

S01.E08: Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Recommended Posts

The ageism in this show is unabashed and appalling.   How many times must we be subjected to the characters 1) citing their ages, and on the heels of that, 2) lamenting "we are old"?

We saw it again in this episode, with middle-aged octogenarian Steve fumbling for his hearing aids and insisting to Miranda, "We're 55.  We're old."

I'm was born a few years before they were but not once in my life have I ever referred to myself as old.   I don't use phrases such as "I'm too old for this" or expressions like "as the kids say ..."   I don't have a broken hip.  I don't have hearing aids.  

Maybe Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte feel "old" because they don't DO much but sit around eating, drinking and nitpicking the details of their privileged, uneventful lives.   Carrie's number one priority seems to be cataloging her clothes.  WTF?  I work about 70 hours a week, I'm researching and writing a book in my spare time, and last summer I spent many liberating hours downhill skateboarding.  I don't have the time, luxury or desire to be "old."

IMO, "old" is a state of mind and this show is going out of its way to gaslight a large portion of the audience into believing their lives may as well be over.   It's shameful and insulting.

 

 

 

 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post

Something occurred to me--Me-randa did her whole stupid skulking out of Che's audience because she said "Brady doesn't know about us." Brady's already met Che--they met at Big's funeral. Brady knows that his mother knows Che. Unless you two are making out or something he would have no reason to suspect anything if he sees you together. God, the whole scene was just stupid. Just another attempt to create a conflict where none existed, instead of dealing with the actual ramifications of blowing up your life.

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Something occurred to me--Me-randa did her whole stupid skulking out of Che's audience because she said "Brady doesn't know about us." Brady's already met Che--they met at Big's funeral. Brady knows that his mother knows Che. Unless you two are making out or something he would have no reason to suspect anything if he sees you together. God, the whole scene was just stupid. Just another attempt to create a conflict where none existed, instead of dealing with the actual ramifications of blowing up your life.

Those were my first thoughts too, but to be fair I can understand Miranda freaking out and not being able to think straight. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Something occurred to me--Me-randa did her whole stupid skulking out of Che's audience because she said "Brady doesn't know about us." Brady's already met Che--they met at Big's funeral. Brady knows that his mother knows Che. Unless you two are making out or something he would have no reason to suspect anything if he sees you together. God, the whole scene was just stupid. Just another attempt to create a conflict where none existed, instead of dealing with the actual ramifications of blowing up your life.

 

On 2/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, RealHousewife said:

Those were my first thoughts too, but to be fair I can understand Miranda freaking out and not being able to think straight. 

 

On 2/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, chitowngirl said:

Yes, Miranda could have easily just been there to support the cause, but NOOOO!

People doing wrong are hyper sensitive. If  Miranda was actually there just as a friend (even if she had a little crush on Che) she would’ve been fine with Brady seeing her, because she wasn’t DOING anything wrong. But because Miranda was being a dishonest liar and cheating on her husband, in her mind just standing there would be cause for Brady to freak out. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

People doing wrong are hyper sensitive. If  Miranda was actually there just as a friend (even if she had a little crush on Che) she would’ve been fine with Brady seeing her, because she wasn’t DOING anything wrong. But because Miranda was being a dishonest liar and cheating on her husband, in her mind just standing there would be cause for Brady to freak out. 

This. She probably had a whole paranoid train of thought running through her mind. Brady knows she knows Che. They had the unpleasant confrontation about pot right in front of him. Maybe he'll bring that up and wonder why she's there. "Are you two friends now?" Then, what if she stammers and makes him suspicious? What if he tells Steve how she acted? 

The attempt to skulk out was very on-brand for cheating Miranda as well as for the version of Miranda that made a fool of herself on meeting Nya.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

The attempt to skulk out was very on-brand for cheating Miranda as well as for the version of Miranda that made a fool of herself on meeting Nya.

I did laugh at Che imitating Miranda sneaking away. Che nailed it, and how ridiculous it was, too.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size