Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

They have been mentioning a new season coming on August 31 on their GBBO page, but I just assumed it was the recently completed PBS season. Yay for actual new content!!!

Edited by Sharpie66

While  I’m happy for my American friends, as a Canadian, I’m sad. I’m guessing that the CBC has the Canadian rights ( so it won’t be airing on Canadian Netflix), so it’s currently airing the new season. But, as it shows commercials, there is no technical bake shown. I was looking forward to seeing the whole show when it was shown on PBS. 

4 hours ago, J-Man said:

This is great news, but are we EVER going to get Seasons/Series 1 and 2?

Series 1 is really, really amateur.

Spoiler

The finale devolved into lots of tiny cakes being trimmed and crumbs everywhere. The whole 1st season was like that.

Noel Fielding’s hair/makeup/dress is more suited to radio.

1045167_GBBO_Noel_Fielding_b6080ec8448c1

gdzols2v47zykd9ykmhj.jpg

4 hours ago, hula-la said:

While  I’m happy for my American friends, as a Canadian, I’m sad. I’m guessing that the CBC has the Canadian rights ( so it won’t be airing on Canadian Netflix), so it’s currently airing the new season. But, as it shows commercials, there is no technical bake shown. I was looking forward to seeing the whole show when it was shown on PBS. 

Why doesn’t the CBC just allocate more time?

Edited by kokapetl
added spoiler tag
35 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

CBC is commercial TV so has to have time for ads to run.

What I meant was, if the show itself is 60 minutes long, why not just schedule an 80 minute broadcast including the ads?

1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

What I meant was, if the show itself is 60 minutes long, why not just schedule an 80 minute broadcast including the ads?

Money, I imagine.  That's always the reason.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Series 1 is really, really amateur.

Hide contents

The finale devolved into lots of tiny cakes being trimmed and crumbs everywhere. The whole 1st season was like that.

Noel Fielding’s hair/makeup/dress is more suited to radio.

1045167_GBBO_Noel_Fielding_b6080ec8448c1

gdzols2v47zykd9ykmhj.jpg

Why doesn’t the CBC just allocate more time?

I think the poster is talking about the first 2 series/seasons of the BBC show. The ones that we never got to watch in the US on PBS.  The ones before the season we just finished on PBS.

Are you saying that Noel Fielding is too ugly looking to be on TV?   Wow. 

Personally I feel TV isn't just for generic pretty people to appear on.  And tastes will differ - I find Fielding quite funny and attractive in his own way.

• Love 9

And people considered that was a tone-downed version of Noel. ? His choice of shirt provided a little fun for the viewers each episode. Not in a 'Look at me, I'm eccentric' attention-hogging way, so no need to worry.

Great British Bake Off: ‘Last year we just tried to make sure we didn’t destroy our careers’

A chat/interview with the judges and presenters from last month - presumably held on one of the filming days. 
(? The conversation itself doesn't contain any spoilers about last series but ? DO NOT scroll past the final Q&A or this message 'The Great British Bake Off returns next month on C4'. There's a picture of last year's winner a few inches down.)

Here are some excerpts from it.

Do you all feel more relaxed this year, now that it’s more familiar?
Noel: Yes. Last year we were under an enormous amount of pressure to not ruin this sacred show that everyone loved, so we weren’t as worried about the bakers, we were just trying to make sure we didn’t destroy our own careers. [Laughs]
Prue: I thought, will this be my swansong?
Noel: We were like, let’s get in, and if it doesn’t work, we’ll set fire to the tent and leg it.

# How were Noel and Sandi put together?
Noel: I kept coming and meeting Sandi, and going: “That was great fun, I have no idea what they want.” Because they didn’t say. I’m a child. I’ll go anywhere. “Do you want to go and meet Sandi?” “Yeah. Love Sandi.” We got on immediately. They were so scared at that point, having moved to Channel 4, and they were being quite cautious. So they made us meet again about five more times.
Sandi: I just kept going, it’s Noel, it’s Noel. It’s got to be Noel.
Prue: Did you meet other people?
Sandi: I did, yeah.
Noel: How to make someone feel special! There was a long queue.

# Is the show reality TV?
Prue: Of course it is, in the sense that these are real people and we’re watching them and seeing their journey and all that stuff. But what makes it different from most reality shows is that the results are not cooked by the producers. They genuinely just film what happens.
Noel: It’s filmed like a documentary.
Prue: No one wants to humiliate them, they’re not chosen in order to be laughed at, there isn’t a desire to set people up for a fall.

• Love 2
On 8/24/2018 at 8:09 PM, kokapetl said:

Chanel 4 - which has commercial breaks - schedules an hour and 15 mins for the show so they can fit everything in.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 4:33 PM, hula-la said:

I’d gladly pay a dollar more in taxes for a commercial free GBBO! 

No need to. You can watch the whole (complete) show commercial free on the CBC website.  :-)

• Love 1
On 25/08/2018 at 6:22 AM, magdalene said:

I think the poster is talking about the first 2 series/seasons of the BBC show. The ones that we never got to watch in the US on PBS.  The ones before the season we just finished on PBS.

Are you saying that Noel Fielding is too ugly looking to be on TV?   Wow. 

Personally I feel TV isn't just for generic pretty people to appear on.  And tastes will differ - I find Fielding quite funny and attractive in his own way.

I wouldn’t say he’s too ugly for tv, just probably too glam rock for American mainstream. 

Edited by kokapetl

Interestingly, Netflix is still calling the newest season The Great British Baking Show instead of The Great British Bake Off, even though is was never on PBS & was never broadcast in the US. I thought for sure they would treat it as a different program, especially since they used to have the PBS logo on the show picture.

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Interestingly, Netflix is still calling the newest season The Great British Baking Show instead of The Great British Bake Off, even though is was never on PBS & was never broadcast in the US. I thought for sure they would treat it as a different program, especially since they used to have the PBS logo on the show picture.

As far as I recall it isn't called Bake Off in America because of Pillsbury.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, mishy said:

As far as I recall it isn't called Bake Off in America because of Pillsbury.

Yes, but this series was never shown in the US, they're showing it as a British show, so I don't know why they would have to change the name. Oh well, as long as I get to watch it, I don't care what they call it :-)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yes, but this series was never shown in the US, they're showing it as a British show, so I don't know why they would have to change the name. Oh well, as long as I get to watch it, I don't care what they call it :-)

I don't know why that would matter. Netflix bought the show to air in America and in America Pillsbury owns/trademarked/copyrighted (or whatever) the words "bake off". But yes, I don't care what they call it as long as I can watch it.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yes, but this series was never shown in the US, they're showing it as a British show, so I don't know why they would have to change the name. 

It's still being made available in the US, so "British show" is just a subgenre classification. It might be possible to challenge Pillsbury's claim to ownership of its registered term "bake-off" in all contexts, but it's not surprising that nobody wants to try: it would accomplish little besides making two teams of lawyers rich.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

My PBS station is now showing Masterclass episodes from the season with Chetna and Martha (I forgot the season number).  It was nice to see it on the schedule in the time slot yesterday where they showed the last season of "new" episodes.

Edited by tvchick
because I can't type
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Does anyone know why it says "A Netflix Original Series" when the new episodes start playing on Netflix? 

I think that means that it’s exclusive to Netflix and new or at least relatively up to date. 

There’s a number of shows broadcast on Netflix in the UK and Ireland the days after they air on a USA network and they’re classed as ‘Netflix originals’ as well. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Does anyone know why it says "A Netflix Original Series" when the new episodes start playing on Netflix? 

Because nobody living in the US can have (legally) seen them before (without crossing the Atlantic).

On 9/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, cherrypj said:

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting interview, especially this:

What was your filming schedule actually like? Was there a decent amount of time to rest?
It isn’t always on the weekend. It’s sometimes during the week. And sometimes, the time in between episodes was 12 days or even a day and a half — it varied. 

I always thought it was every weekend, but I guess it's not.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

Interesting interview with [the winner of the current Netflix season] about the cost of all those bakes.

Also interesting, & this answers a question I've been wondering about:

I always feel so bad when the tent gets hot and everyone’s bakes melt. Is there a reason why there’s no air conditioning?
It’s the noise. It’s too loud to use air conditioning in the tent. We had tiny fans we were allowed to have by our feet, which we could hold up to ourselves every now and then. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:30 AM, kokapetl said:

I wouldn’t say he’s too ugly for tv, just probably too glam rock for American mainstream. 

I'm an American and the whole reason I watched and fell in love with this show is Noel Fielding.  I'm a big Boosh fan. Plus, I find Noel sexy as hell.  He's definitely a dream date for me.  Of course, if I'm getting wishes granted, he would be in line behind Richard Ayoade and Matt Berry!  I don't know if you'd consider me mainstream, tho.  I look it, but am an undercover eccentric.  I've been spreading the word to everyone I know, so maybe that's one of their angles, get word of mouth spreading.  Nothing in the world wrong with Noel Fielding, tho!!

• Love 3

Random Graham Norton show clip posted by BBC Comedy today. ?

Speaking of which, a couple weeks ago Paul, Prue and Noel were on The Jonathan Ross Show (air date Sep. 29, S13E05), Sandi was said to be feeling unwell.

The episode guide provides quite a detailed description of the show, so I'll put their part in spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler

Bake Off judges, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith, joined the show alongside host, Noel Fielding.

Speaking about becoming part of the series, Prue admitted: “I didn’t actually know what a treasure The Great British Bake Off was, so I just thought, ‘Oh it’ll be fun to do that, I’d like to do that’ and then when I went and had to have an audition and then have another audition and meet Paul Hollywood, I suddenly thought, ‘This is really important.’ This wasn’t just a little chat about ‘How is your chemistry?’ This was a massive audition with lots of cameras. Then I thought ‘Oh dear.’ Then I wanted to do it and so I tried really hard and on the second audition I thought, ‘I’ll make a cake and it’ll be my technical and I’ll turn up and wow them with my cake.’ I made a googlehoff, and I made this thing and I turned it out of the tin but it looked great and I was very proud of it and my husband came along and took one look at it and said, ‘That’ll never make it past Paul Hollywood’ so I never even brought it to show you!.. I’ve baked more cakes since I’ve been on Bake Off than I have in my life.”

Paul also speaks about his famous handshakes: “I’ve taken a bit of flack over that. The handshake came from when they looked very professional and they almost cross that line from being amateur to professional. It started in series two, I just shook someone’s hand and said, ‘Well done.’ It was a ‘Well done.’ And every year the standard has got better and better and better and this year has been phenomenal. Some of the flavours they are bringing out. Rahul’s stuff has been incredible.”

Noel says: “He’s a wizard!”

Paul said: “You will see it happen [in a few weeks] the handshakes almost stop. Because what I’ve done is I’ve realised they are all moving up in standard so I’ve got to move my barrier up so that’s  exactly what I do, I raise the bar and then no one gets over the top of it.”

Paul also shared his immediate reaction to Noel being a host on the show: “There were a couple of names banding around right at the beginning and I heard Sandi’s name and I thought, ‘Oh yeah that’s great’ and then Noel, I went ‘Noel? That’s interesting!’ I knew Noel, and I was a bit of a fan of his standup stuff but he was out there, a bit mad and I thought, ‘Actually that could work.’”

On his audition for the show, Noel said: “I think I brought a David Bowie chair to the audition. Sandi went, ‘You’re out of your mind.’ Me and Sandi got on really well. I didn’t actually know what I was auditioning for. They said, ‘Do you want to audition for a show with Sandi?’ And I said, ‘Yeah I love Sandi.’ And she does a load of improv which I am a big fan of so I thought, this could work. When they offered it to me I was playing Alice Cooper in a part. And David Suchet was playing Salvador Dali. I was sitting there dressed as Alice Cooper. He stays in character, he is a method actor. He came over as Salvador Dali and I said, ‘I’ve just been offered Bake Off’ and he went, ‘You must do what  your gut tells you, it is God’s barometer!’ And I was like, ‘Yeah I’ll do it!’ then he came over later and went, ‘I’m really sorry that wasn’t me it was Salvador Dali.’”

Prue also spoke about her infamous mishap last year when she tweeted the winner of the series ahead of the much anticipated final airing: “I don’t think I’m ever going to live that down for as long as I live. I was in Bhutan and we hadn’t had any internet connection for about three days. I was having a siesta, I was in bed. I suddenly saw that I had a message saying, ‘Don’t forget to congratulate the winner after 10.30.’ So I looked at my watch and thought, ‘Ah it’s after 10.30 so I immediately tweeted it and 89 seconds later, my PA who is no fool had deleted it but by then two people had retweeted it. I’m an idiot, but there we are. There was about 11 hours difference. I was in such a panic when I realised what I’d done, I couldn’t make my phone work so I couldn’t delete it myself so I had to ring my secretary and when I got through to her she said she’d already deleted it. It was horrible. Everybody went on to tell me I’d ruined it.”

Noel joked: “I’m going to give away the winner this year to make Prue feel better!”

Noel also spoke about the harder tasks in Bake Off, when sending someone home: “It is difficult because the judges come in and out and they are trying to impress the judges but me and Sandi hang with them all the time so they are sort of like our children, we really look after them when they are a bit upset and we try to have fun with them. It is genuinely like losing someone from your family, it’s awful. You don’t think you will [get emotional] and then you will. It’s a strange show because sometimes I’m watching it and I cry when I’m at home watching it and I think, ‘I was there, what am I doing crying again?!’”

Paul adds: “I got upset too actually… I actually watched it and I welled up a bit because I love Terry [GBBO contestant], I thought his style of baking was fantastic and when he was on song, he was flying. And unfortunately the best bakers have to go through and it’s not a character thing, it’s purely down to what’s on that plate.”

Noel adds: “I was watching it a long time ago, my friend Serge from Kasabian said ‘Get on The Bake Off.’ I was a bit hungover and I needed some comfort TV… I watched it and I remember thinking, ‘That’s a good job what Mel and Sue have got. I think I could do that.’ And then a year later, I was doing it. Not saying I’m some kind of voodoo witch doctor!”

Paul adds: “Noel and Sandi have made it their own. I think the atmosphere in the tent is amazing, we go into this Bake Off world when we go in the gates to start work and it’s a really nice place to be.”

Paul says he is still in touch with his former fellow judge, Mary Berry and saw her recently. 

Prue admits that Mary had given her some advice when Prue took on the role: “I asked her what Paul was like. She said, ‘Watch him!’ No, she said, ‘He really knows his stuff but he knows more about baking than cooking and so I said, ‘It’s a baking show so that’s fine.’ And she said, ‘Yes, as long as he stays on baking.’”

Noel also spoke about becoming a father: “I don’t know how that happened, look at my pointy visage. She is very beautiful and she blows my mind about a hundred times a day. It’s a new level of tiredness that I’ve never experienced. I’ve done a lot of all nighters in my life. In a way I’ve been in training for this moment all my life.”

Edited by sum
Adding a clip
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, NotChristine said:

What I'm assuming is Season 1 is in the Coming Soon section of the Netflix app.

Screenshot_20181026-194901__01.thumb.jpg.0ed4492d556c0e0ee0a3512cabb98160.jpg

According to this article from Netflix, this will be Series 3 (2012) which PBS has already aired:

The Great British Baking Show: The Beginnings” will also come to Netflix in the US later this year (UK season 3, which originally baked in 2012)

• Love 2
On 10/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Athena said:

According to this article from Netflix, this will be Series 3 (2012) which PBS has already aired:

But from that same article (and from another I saw elsewhere with more specific timing) --  we are getting the UK Season 9 in about a week! 

• Love 2
On 27/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, Athena said:

The 2019 Celebrity Bake Off contestants have been announced. I do not think Netflix USA will air these but they will air the holiday specials.

Russell Brand is Noel's BFF, they are quite funny when they are thrown together. Russell Tovey is a nice choice, he also was an Extra Slice a few weeks ago. But I am really looking forward to Jeremy Paxman, it's quite an unusual setting for him.

There are a few people in the mix that you either love or hate and I will probably not watch all the episodes.

25 minutes ago, rab01 said:

But from that same article (and from another I saw elsewhere with more specific timing) --  we are getting the UK Season 9 in about a week! 

Do you have a source? The news release I linked did not list a date for UK S9 dropping. 

Netflix USA will definitely be getting S9 before the end of this year. I do think it's sometime this month and before the holidays. However, I have yet to find the exact date when it will drop. The GBBO S9 ended two days ago so it could be any day now but it would be good to know when it drops.