Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

Junior Bake Off is back

Twenty of Britain’s best junior bakers are about to step into the Tent to impress judges Prue Leith and Liam Charles – and to dodge Harry Hill’s ‘helpful’ suggestions.

Judge Prue Leith, who has campaigned for a long time on the importance of teaching children about food said: “Almost all cooks and bakers start with brownies or pizza, finding it fun, creative and satisfying. So the more we can do to widen the nation’s interest in good food the better. I’m really thrilled to be asked to judge Junior Bake Off.”

Bake Off alumni Liam Charles is stepping up to the plate to judge this new series of Junior Bake Off. He said: “It’s going to be great to see what the junior bakers come up with because this is around the age I started. I’m well chuffed to be sharing the experience with Prue and Harry, it’s gonna be wicked, ROLL ON THE JUNIORS!!”  

Comedian and author Harry Hill will be returning to the tent after his ‘memorable’ appearance on The Great Stand Up To Cancer Bake Off. His 3D biscuit scene ‘The Day I Went On Holiday With Camilla Parker Bowles’ had the judges in stitches. He said: “I’m very excited to be going back in the tent and breathing the cake fumes – I know a certain Duchess will be looking on, brimming with pride.”

Junior Bake Off returns Monday 4th November at 5pm on Channel 4.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am defenitely not in the target audience for that, but if anyone watches, let me know whether this is just a miniature version of Bake Off or whether there is some educational component. If they want to get Youngsters into baking I would expect a segmet where the contestants and the audience get some tips or a masterclass - like explaining the technical challenge.

Liam was a very charismatic contestant and I understand why they picked him as a second judge, but I hope he does better judging than he did as a presenter on Bake Off Professionals, where he looked completely out of place.

1 hour ago, Aulty said:

I am defenitely not in the target audience for that, but if anyone watches, let me know whether this is just a miniature version of Bake Off or whether there is some educational component. If they want to get Youngsters into baking I would expect a segmet where the contestants and the audience get some tips or a masterclass - like explaining the technical challenge.

I watched one of the earlier seasons of Junior Bake Off and if I recall correctly, they have four new kids each week and there are only two challenges (technical and showstopper). There is one winner each week. After everyone has competed, the winners from each week compete against each other. I don't recall educational or instructional segments but it's been several years since I watched so I may have just forgotten.

Has Junior Bake Off been picked up by Netflix as well? I have a feeling I would watch the $*%&^ out of it in the middle of winter.

That photo of Henry and Michael is absolutely adorable. I had seen the earlier speculation that Henry and Alice were an item and that did NOT seem quite right - this does!

• Love 2

I've never seen Junior Bake Off - is it available in the US?  I'm not a fan of kid-themed shows, but I really liked Liam and would tune in to see him.  I loved the rapport he had with Paul, and thought the two of them should co-host a special, so I'm glad GBBO saw something in him, too. 

I'd also love to see the Stand Up to Cancer bakeoff.  Again, not a fan of celebrity-themed shows, but I'd definitely make an exception to see celebs in a Bake Off. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:14 PM, Ceindreadh said:

Aww! Are they the first couple to get together through the show?

Are Ruby and Antony a couple? He seems to post like they are, but she doesn't. So I'm never sure if he's just being playful and it's a joke between them or if they're actually together. 

Are Ruby and Antony a couple? He seems to post like they are, but she doesn't. So I'm never sure if he's just being playful and it's a joke between them or if they're actually together. 

I think I remember Antony's partner being shown on one of the bakers-at-home clips. Obviously that relationship might no longer be, but I think he and Ruby are just super tight.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Occasional Hope said:

Lovely interview with Michael here: https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/great-british-bake-off-michael-anxiety-828747

I had to cut and paste that link, but it did work.  That really is a lovely article.

• Love 4

Someone mentioned this in an episode thread a few days back (THANK YOU) but wanted to share here too: Netflix US folks have two holiday specials available for streaming/download this morning. I think they are the two that ran in the UK last year - Liam and Candice and Tamal are among the competitors.

It will be interesting to see if we get this year's specials closer to real time, as we did the season itself.

Thanks for the links to those two episodes. Did anyone notice that Noel had brown long hair for the first and black short(ish) hair for the second? Liked both looks better than his current (at least the most recent season) long black.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, GaT said:

Henry is in a bathrobe, so yeah, I think it's safe to assume they're dating 🙂

I think that's a shawl collar cardigan over a white T-shirt and shorts, but still they are definitely canoodling.

• Love 2

I was just watching the Christmas episode, the one with Jane, Andrew, Liam & Flo, and I really liked the version of "Carol of the Bells" that was used at various points. Does anyone know who did it? I watched the credits and I've googled a bit but haven't been able to find it.

Not sure where this should go, but today I saw “Last Christmas” and there was Sue Perkins in a small role! I was elated to see her again — like seeing an old friend.  And of course, she was dryly funny in her Sue-way.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

A Derry Girls/GBBO crossover is the stuff of my dreams, and I will take any/all suggestions for how to find a way to see it (including buying a ticket to London, because that sounds pretty great anyways).

My cousin went to London for Christmas last year and loved it (in case you need any convincing to go!).

• Love 1
18 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

A Derry Girls/GBBO crossover is the stuff of my dreams, and I will take any/all suggestions for how to find a way to see it (including buying a ticket to London, because that sounds pretty great anyways).

Channel 4 have an app called All 4.  It’s ad supported so I don’t think it’s region locked (which makes it legit)

• Love 2

Sandi Toksvig quits Great British Bake Off

Shame, she and Noel were great together. I won't miss the 'Sandy is so short' jokes though, they've gotten stale very qucikly. Let the speculation about her replacement begin 🙂

Edit: Susan Calman's name came up in the comments to the article and that would be a decent option. The Guardian also mentioned Richard Ayoade, whom I love - and of course he already worked with Noel on the IT Crowd.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Aulty said:

Shame, she and Noel were great together. I won't miss the 'Sandy is so short' jokes though, they've gotten stale very qucikly. Let the speculation about her replacement begin 🙂

Edit: Susan Calman's name came up in the comments to the article and that would be a decent option. The Guardian also mentioned Richard Ayoade, whom I love - and of course he already worked with Noel on the IT Crowd.

I loved the IT Crowd, but I fear (for me at least) that the combo of Noel and Richard would steal the show away from the bakers. I’m giggling just thinking about it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

I wish Noel Fielding had quit. He looks funny, but he’s not really funny, and his antics annoy me. From what I’ve seen of him, Ayoade is funny in sitcoms only. 

They should pay and do whatever it takes to get the original hosts (and judges) back. It sucks that the most replaceable original cast member, bitch judge Paul Hollywood, is all they managed to retain. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Aulty said:

That is too bad. I like Sandi. Okay the short jokes are stupid, but I came to really like her. 

While I would love Richard Ayoade, I bet they will go with a woman. 

Almost any of the women who have appeared frequently on Mock the Week or QI (which is the only place I know Susan Calman from) could do a decent job with the funny part but the show really needs IMO is someone who also wants to support the bakers.

• Love 2

Channel 4's official announcement about Sandi's departure
She is still doing the Great Celebrity Bake Off for Stand Up To Cancer in the spring.

Chief Creative Officer and Executive Producer for Love Productions Richard McKerrow said: “We’ll always be incredibly grateful to Sandi for becoming one of the hosts of Bake Off when we moved to Channel 4, along with Noel, Paul and Prue. She has contributed hugely to Bake Off over the last three years, with her sharp witty sense of humour and her passionate commitment to the dozens of bakers during her time in the tent. We wish her all the very best on the exciting projects she is currently working on and beyond.”

Ian Katz, Director of Programmes at Channel 4 said: ”Sandi is a huge part of why Bake Off’s move to Channel 4 has been such a success and we are immensely grateful for her contribution to the show. We will miss her warmth and wit, not to mention her endless willingness to be the butt of jokes about being the least tall person in the Bake Off tent. Fortunately, her unique voice will continue to have an important presence on the Channel with new shows in development - none of which involve cake.”

Info about Sandi's new show The Write Offs

The Write Offs, an empowering and uplifting new two-part series hosted by Sandi Toksvig will explore Britain’s staggeringly low adult literacy rates and offer a group of adults – aged from 22 to 66 years old – a lifechanging opportunity to overcome the one thing that has always held them back.

The eight adults, all of whom lack the basic skills necessary for many everyday situations, have different personal motivations for wanting to improve their literacy. From the 66-year-old town crier who hopes to one day write a thank you letter to all those who’ve supported him to the young mum who wants to be able to help her kids with their homework, all the contributors are united in their quest to shed the shame and lift the stigma around illiteracy.

Each member of the group will receive one-to-one tuition over a four-month period, during which they will also face a series of extraordinary reading, writing and spelling challenges that will put their new found reading, writing and spelling skills to the test.  The intensive process culminates in an emotional final test fronted by Sandi and held in front of an audience of family, friends and teachers, will their hard work pay off?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Write Offs, an empowering and uplifting new two-part series hosted by Sandi Toksvig will explore Britain’s staggeringly low adult literacy rates and offer a group of adults – aged from 22 to 66 years old – a lifechanging opportunity to overcome the one thing that has always held them back.

The eight adults, all of whom lack the basic skills necessary for many everyday situations, have different personal motivations for wanting to improve their literacy. From the 66-year-old town crier who hopes to one day write a thank you letter to all those who’ve supported him to the young mum who wants to be able to help her kids with their homework, all the contributors are united in their quest to shed the shame and lift the stigma around illiteracy.

Each member of the group will receive one-to-one tuition over a four-month period, during which they will also face a series of extraordinary reading, writing and spelling challenges that will put their new found reading, writing and spelling skills to the test.  The intensive process culminates in an emotional final test fronted by Sandi and held in front of an audience of family, friends and teachers, will their hard work pay off?

Don't mean to go off track, but this sounds like something that could go very, very wrong to me. Are they going to eliminate people who don't learn to read fast enough?

11 hours ago, GaT said:

Don't mean to go off track, but this sounds like something that could go very, very wrong to me. Are they going to eliminate people who don't learn to read fast enough?

It's only 2 parts so that seems unlikely.  

I read an interview with Sandi where she said while she loved GBBO, she didn't love what it did to her waistline.  Maybe it was said in jest, but I think that's as good a reason as any. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

I hope they think carefully about a replacement for Sandi. Richard Ayoade, for example, would be an awful choice. He's very funny, but has just about the worst energy for the show you could imagine.

But Channel 4 have a stable of comedians that they use for their panel shows, and I'd be surprised if they picked someone from outside that group - Roisin Conaty, Sara Pascoe, Katherine Ryan, Aisling Bea (who is probably far too busy). Sandi was already an offbeat choice.