Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

UK news for the next series and beyond. BBC will premiere it in early August and go for the usual 10 weeks. It'll compete with the Olympics, but this is the most watched TV show in the UK so it won't be hurting too much.

BBC have also announced two Christmas specials including an "all-star" special bake off with four past contestants competing.

ITV is still trying to woo and poach the show from the BBC amidst negotiations. Paul has said none of them want to leave the BBC, but it's ultimately up to the production company and if BBC can pay the price to renew it. If the show gets bought by ITV, there will not be a bake off next year due to a contract cooling off clause.

Here are the sources which includes spoilers for S06/Baking Show S03: Evening Standard and The Telegraph.

Spoilers for S06/Baking Show 03 article: The Guardian has their annual article to hype up the 7th series. Some points to summarize for those who do not want to be spoiled:

...when filming started, the show’s producers noticed that it became unusually crowded by men with long camera lenses. Their solution was to make everyone – contestants, home economists, runners – wear Bake Off aprons, so the new batch of bakers could not be identified.

• Sue loves giving hugs (shocking ;)
  • Mary admits that despite the show's success, this new year had less applicants than previous years. “People think, ‘Gosh, I would really have to do something very special.’ Or ‘I’m not really skilled enough to do it.’ The standard has gone up from the very beginning when we were doing Cornish pasties and Victoria sandwich.”
  • Sue often bakes in the prep kitchen when the contestants are baking and when she's not filming. On the particular day, she made cheese scones which Mary and Paul approved:

So, how far would Perkins get if she was a baker on the show? “Week one, two,” smirks Hollywood. “She’s actually pretty good at savoury, but she might fall flat on her face when it comes to cakes.”

• Love 3

I don't know how legitimate this website is, but it looks like Season 7 will begin airing August 24, 2016 and it was delayed until that date so that it didn't conflict with the Olympics. I'm pretty sure I had already read that date somewhere, so it probably isn't new news to many of you.

There are spoilers about who won Season 6 which is the season currently airing on PBS.

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/696442/Great-British-Bake-Off-DELAYED-BBC-worry-lose-viewers-Rio-Olympics

Another very fun interview -- thank you, cardigirl!  Mary Berry is even more charming than I already thought and this interview shows Paul's warmer side.  Enjoyed it -- I am gobbling up all of these post-finale interviews.

• Love 2

I read that link and then, like the idiot I am, decided to read his actual Twitter. There is a person in thread for his tweet about the racist comment posting things about immigration being white genocide. I always wonder if the people who post such ignorant things actually believe it or just want attention. I usually decide the latter, but to be honest, it's mostly because the thought that there are people in this world that believe such things is too depressing. 

• Love 2

You wouldn't want to know what sort of unpleasant things were said about "The Chronicles of Nadiya", because a Muslim woman who observes hijab has no place on TV but for the left-wing biased BBC's agenda.

Great British Bake Off stars SNUB £21MILLION ITV deal to keep show on BBC
'She[Mary] is understood to have changed her mind about bidding to crack the US television market.'

If I had to take a guess from the vague statement it sounds like she won't be coming back for another season (there's one, I believe?) of Holiday Baking Show.

And for all the GBBO illustrations lovers like me, 

Yep, yep!
Edited by sum
  • Love 4

Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to broadcast show

BBC loses The Great British Bake Off, with ITV poised to take over

Note that contractually there has to be at least a year with the show off the air before it could air on another broadcaster (plus nobody else has ponied up yet anyway, even if ITV is likely to eventually). 

EDIT - Apparently Channel 4 it is for sure. Not ITV.  The BBC news article got updated to show that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

That's very sad especially since Mary isn't going to get any younger.  I'd think they all would see her as a highly valuable asset and realize that a year's delay could be a risk to future success.

22 minutes ago, mlp said:

That's very sad especially since Mary isn't going to get any younger.  I'd think they all would see her as a highly valuable asset and realize that a year's delay could be a risk to future success.

All four of the hosts and judges have been adamant about staying at the BBC. However, they did admit that it was never going to be their decision.

The year delay is a result of original contract agreements that the BBC made with Love Productions. To my knowledge, this is not outlandish in the world of television. It's a provision for the show and the network to refit and make new arrangements if necessary. However this decision is very depressing for the show and does show that the producers of Love Productions has not really weighed the impact on the talent and the audience. I will try to be sanguine until 2018.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I think what's likely to happen is that Love Productions will take advantage of this and send Mary back the US market (assuming she's willing) for more specials like The Great Holiday Baking Show she did last year on ABC.  Schedule-wise I'd say it would work out great for her to pump out another Holiday Baking short season, like last year, for this December (note: it could have already happened).

Although note I used the phrase "send Mary back to the US market" figuratively, since that in fact is NOT what they did last time (they sent the whole production, and US contestants, to her and just used the UK tent). 

Note this casting page from last February: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/44965/casting-great-american-baking-show-and-great-holiday-baking-show

Note that it SPECIFICALLY says that the contestants will be judged by Mary, as well as sent to England. 

As far as I'm aware no ABC airing Summer show happened (riiiight?) but that could have just fallen down due to scheduling. The Holiday one could have already taped THIS summer (after the GBBO, IN the UK but for a US audience). Then, with Mary free for a year?  I'd actually do a Summer edition for 2017, as well as a third US Holiday season (assuming I am correct about one coming this December anyway). 

And I bet part of their negotiations with Channel 4 would build in a way and schedule to keep a few shortened US versions in the schedule that don't require that much of Mary (it likely won't ever involve Paul after his well known bonking of Marcela Valladolid).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, shandy said:

Rats. I wanted GBBO to remain commercial free. Love Productions was majority bought by the Murdoch dynasty in 2014 so of course they were going to maximize profits. 

Isn't Channel 4 still limited to something like 7 minutes of commercials per hour? So it won't be THAT bad. 

35 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Isn't Channel 4 still limited to something like 7 minutes of commercials per hour? So it won't be THAT bad. 

It varies from 7-12 mins depending on the time slot. Given that GBBO is prime time, it'll be limited to about 8 mins. However, it's not just about advertisements. Shows on BBC have strict guidelines about product placement, sponsorships, and other commercial initiatives. It's why you almost never see any brand name logos or see them name checked. While UK shows are not as prone than USA shows to produce placement, the BBC is still more strict about it than the commercial channels such as Channel 4 and ITV. This means that a commercial network GBBO would be more influenced by advertisers and maybe lobby groups. It's hard to determine how commercialized the new format will be at this time, but I can see it affecting the show in small ways.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Athena said:

It varies from 7-12 mins depending on the time slot. Given that GBBO is prime time, it'll be limited to about 8 mins. However, it's not just about advertisements. Shows on BBC have strict guidelines about product placement, sponsorships, and other commercial initiatives. It's why you almost never see any brand name logos or see them name checked. While UK shows are not as prone than USA shows to produce placement, the BBC is still more strict about it than the commercial channels such as Channel 4 and ITV. This means that a commercial network GBBO would be more influenced by advertisers and maybe lobby groups. It's hard to determine how commercialized the new format will be at this time, but I can see it affecting the show in small ways.

In the US, of course, the show would make sure to namecheck a.) the brand of ovens b.) a "special" challenge ingredient from a specified food conglomerate (a brand of nuts, chocolates, etc.) c.) perhaps even sponsored makers of the bakeware/tins/cookie sheets d.) even if they don't use it in the challenge, perhaps a branding on a type of butter, or a non-stick spray

I'm so disappointed that Love Productions put cash over loyalty, though no surprise now I learn Sky own a majority stake.  This show is the "most BBC" show on the box.  Gah!

I'd take Channel 4 over the other options, but the commercial breaks are bound to change it for the worse. We'll lose 10% or more of the running time to ads and more to the inevitable "coming up after the break..." and then recapping what we saw before the break.  

I need to bake something to cheer myself up.

• Love 4

Sue and Mel are officially leaving.

Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc will step down as hosts of The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4.

The duo have fronted the show since it began on BBC Two in 2010, alongside judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.

A joint statement said: "We were very shocked and saddened to learn yesterday evening that Bake Off will be moving from its home.

"We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was... we're not going with the dough."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37355065?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

• Love 1

Wait a sec, so Channel 4 didn't lock down the contracts of the people who have done so much to make GBBO popular before they paid millions of pounds for it?! That's crazy. A show without Mel and Sue just won't be the same.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

That's fairly bad, because they have a patter that's hard to accurately replace.

But not impossible. It's likely to go the way of The X-Factor, when they tried to replace Dermot, but nobody in the viewing audience really wanted anyone else, even though others could speak the same lines. 

There is, in the UK, the precedent of Big Brother successfully replacing long running presenter Davina McCall with Emma Willis, but even there they had some lemons in the middle that nobody would accept to dig through first.

I expect to hear some big name British stand-up (probably one instead of a duo) eventually announced as the replacement. Someone at the level of Jimmy Carr. Who actually already works for Channel 4. But he's got a million jobs already, so that might keep them from using him. 

• Love 1

I hated Mel & Sue when I first started watching the show, but then I got used to them, then I read how they refused to make people on the show cry for the ratings, & now I really like them. I can't imagine how the show hasn't been ruined now, I am very, very sad.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ceebee said:

I wonder if they'll put Jo Brand on the main show.

Jo Brand is the other possibility which occurs.  Carr was just a speculation on them going the route of being willing to sink a big single salary into replacing two big salaries. Brand is likely a bit cheaper, and might carry some loyalty from some existing viewers (although personally she annoys me, I suspect I am in the minority).

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Kromm said:

That's fairly bad, because they have a patter that's hard to accurately replace.

But not impossible. It's likely to go the way of The X-Factor, when they tried to replace Dermot, but nobody in the viewing audience really wanted anyone else, even though others could speak the same lines. 

There is, in the UK, the precedent of Big Brother successfully replacing long running presenter Davina McCall with Emma Willis, but even there they had some lemons in the middle that nobody would accept to dig through first.

I expect to hear some big name British stand-up (probably one instead of a duo) eventually announced as the replacement. Someone at the level of Jimmy Carr. Who actually already works for Channel 4. But he's got a million jobs already, so that might keep them from using him. 

True, but that is assuming the other shoe (Paul and Mary) won't drop. If Channel Four has to plug all the holes, this probably will end up a misguided business decision of historic proportions. People *do* tune in for the on-air talent as much as the competition. I wasn't that worried about the introduction of commercial breaks, so long as the other elements stayed in place. But it's now clearly going to be a likely completely different enterprise, top to bottom. 

• Love 1

I just read the article & saw this:

Channel 4 will begin airing the programme in 2017, starting with a celebrity special in aid of Stand Up To Cancer.

They're starting with a "celebrity special", it sounds like this is now going to be like all of the bullshit Food Network cooking competitions. 

12 minutes ago, GaT said:

I just read the article & saw this:

They're starting with a "celebrity special", it sounds like this is now going to be like all of the bullshit Food Network cooking competitions. 

It's a British thing, having little celebrity joke versions of their popular reality shows as part of a charity telethon. It's not anything like the way Food Network does that. They're one-offs usually. 

Stand-Up To Cancer 2016 just happened, so I'd imagine the 2017 version would be similarly scheduled.  So the enforced year hiatus must date from the beginning of the 2106 Bake-Off season rather than the end of it.  Which does change things a bit. Rather than wait well into 2018, it perhaps means they may simply shift the show a few months.

In terms of possible hosts, a few more occur to me. For much the same reason as Jimmy Carr (being a well know Channel 4 figure), there's also Alan Carr. Who'd do a totally different thing (a campy version rather than sarcastic, like Jimmy, or "cozy" like the double-act of Mel and Sue do now).

On some UK forums and boards I'm already reading people screaming about the possibility of Rylan Clarke being given the show, perhaps as part of some lame doubleteam.  It's exactly the kind of think they might try for a series back with a disposable presenting team there as goats, so whoever is lined up after seems better in contrast. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

True, but that is assuming the other shoe (Paul and Mary) won't drop.

I think we HAVE to assume Paul and Mary are there, because while presenters being replaced is sort-of possible, if you replaced both Paul and Mary as well, there's no show.  Even the US versions always fell compelled to have one or the other of them (Mary, after Paul dipped his wick in Marcella Valladolid).

Without at least ONE of them, the show is worth even less than the Top Gear name seems to be now.

True, but that is assuming the other shoe (Paul and Mary) won't drop. If Channel Four has to plug all the holes, this probably will end up a misguided business decision of historic proportions. People *do* tune in for the on-air talent as much as the competition. I wasn't that worried about the introduction of commercial breaks, so long as the other elements stayed in place. But it's now clearly going to be a likely completely different enterprise, top to bottom. 

I was afraid this would happen. All four of the personalities have good relationships with the BBC (Jo Brand as well). Paul has shows on other networks, but his main cooking programmes are on BBC. Mary's been with the BBC for decades. While C4 can offer Paul more money, Mary has more than enough money to truly retire. This show is more of a labour of love for her so if they introduce any drama behind the scenes, I can see her being done with it easily. I guess it would depend on how she and Paul decide what to do. The four personalities have always said how close they are with each other when the cameras aren't rolling on set. This will change the dynamic even if Mary and Paul stay on. Even if Mary makes the move, she'll probably not be on for more than a couple of series max.

ETA: A Guardian article has quotes and tweets from former contestants and winners. Here is the link, but they mention one winner from a non PBS aired season.

The news was greeted with an outpouring of dismay from former Bake Off contestants. Richard Burr, who took part in the 2014 series, posted on Twitter: “Without Mel and Sue it just isn’t Bake Off. Channel 4 has just bought a tent.”

Another 2014 contestant, Martha Collison, added: “Well that’s the end of that. Mel and Sue are the true stars of the show – irreplaceable.”

Not good at all to read that since all of them have said how much they love Mel & Sue in the tent with them.

The article goes on to say that the new show's ratings will definitely take a hit, but even if they go down to half their current BBC viewing figures, the ad revenue from the purchase would still be profitable. Just not as profitable as C4 wants it.

Edited by Athena
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Athena said:

The article goes on to say that the new show's ratings will definitely take a hit, but even if they go down to half their current BBC viewing figures, the ad revenue from the purchase would still be profitable. Just not as profitable as C4 wants it.

Hey @Athena, in the wake of all of this, have you suggested to the editorial side that they should be whipping up a GBBO piece or two for the front page?  Seems timely.

2 hours ago, apollonia666 said:

Damn.  The only good thing coming out of this is the #breadxit hashtag on Twitter.

Ha, ha!

This is the year of shooting ourselves in the foot. 

<weeps quietly>

Regarding the celeb version, this isn't new for Bake Off.  They have done Comic Relief/Sport Relief versions for the past few years.

Potential presenter thought:  Josh Widdecombe

Edited by ceebee
spelling
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, ceebee said:

Potential presenter thought:  Josh Widdecombe

Ugh. Really?  Maybe it's just me, but he comes off as something of a twit.

I've seen Davina McCall's name tossed around too now. Unfortunately as part of a possible doubleact with the repugnant Rylan Clark. 

Really, again, I'd go for a single presenter, because any doubleact they pull out will be compared. And as I said, I'd go either for someone intentional disposable, on the premise that a first stab at it would inevitably fail, or I'd go big and get a British TV comedy A-lister. 

The only doubleact I've seen that would go over might be French and Saunders, but if they couldn't afford Mel and Sue, they'd never be able to afford French and Saunders.  Thus (for more reasons than just changing it up) they'd need to go for a single host.

Of course if they haven't actually secured Mary and Paul, as people are feverishly speculating, then this is all a waste of time.  BBC will simply scoop them back up, expand MasterChef to include a new MasterBaker spinoff, and put them on it.  And if they didn't?  They'd be idiots. Although the BBC often are. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ceebee said:

Regarding the celeb version, this isn't new for Bake Off.  They have done Comic Relief/Sport Relief versions for the past few years.

Yes, indeed, and I suppose those tie-ins won't be happening any more so there's a potential loss to the charities.

9 hours ago, Kromm said:

I've seen Davina McCall's name tossed around too now. Unfortunately as part of a possible doubleact with the repugnant Rylan Clark.

The only doubleact I've seen that would go over might be French and Saunders, but if they couldn't afford Mel and Sue, they'd never be able to afford French and Saunders.  Thus (for more reasons than just changing it up) they'd need to go for a single host.

Of course if they haven't actually secured Mary and Paul, as people are feverishly speculating, then this is all a waste of time.  BBC will simply scoop them back up, expand MasterChef to include a new MasterBaker spinoff, and put them on it.  And if they didn't?  They'd be idiots. Although the BBC often are. 

Davina would be bearable, I think, but definitely not Rylan.

They were saying on the radio that Mary's husband was hinting she might not go to C4.  (Though I suppose even if the show stayed on the BBC she might have been thinking of retirement in a few years.)

I don't believe Mel and Sue quit because they weren't offered enough money - after the overall budget has doubled even allowing for the profit to double too.  So from a financial viewpoint F&S might be on the table.