Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

While reading an article on Dr. Who, I found this article on Paul Hollywood and him having OCD. I don't know if this is a "legit" news source or tabloid, but halfway down is a video where Paul says that

they just filmed a celebrity version

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/609156/Paul-Hollywood-OCD-health-Great-British-Bake-Off

Not sure how I feel about 

a celebrity version. I fear that the show might lose its appeal if we've got a bunch of celebrities trying to one-up one another by being "entertaining" and "on." Of course I'll watch because I don't have any real self-control either way, but still.

• Love 1

Exactly. They're no stranger to short-run celebrity editions for charity. It plays as a separate thing (with relaxed standards, as we're told) and doesn't really affect the main competition.

I agree that she looks stylish. Her personal appearance seems to have "youthened" a bit since Series 1 of TGBBO -- not that she's tried to look ridiculously young, but everything around her face seems slightly smoother and tauter. Is it possible she had a bit of a tuck (not that there's anything wrong with that) between seasons, or is she just being made up more carefully for the camera now? Or is it all my imagination?

Nice of Deadline Hollywood to announce the current (British) season winner complete with picture via my  Feedly.  I didn't even have to click anything--it just showed up with the headline and the first few lines of the article. Some sites are good about not spoiling things for viewers, others not so much. I'm not sure when PBS is showing that season, but I doubt my memory is failing that much. :)

• Love 1
Nice of Deadline Hollywood to announce the current (British) season winner complete with picture
So annoying. If I hadn't seen it there, though, I would've been spoiled as soon as I started looking for the video. 

I'm surprised they're able to keep the results quiet for so long. I hadn't realised that so many people—all the guests at the end party, etc.—would have seen the winner being announced back when it was filmed.

In the US, RuPaul'sDrag Race tapes all three possible endings to prevent leaks. Which means the winner is just playacting when she's crowned—but drag queens are better actors than bakers would be.

The Amazing Race now stages "decoy" runs around the later series on the itinerary, to disguise who's still in it and how it came out. The actual finish line, though, is in a closed environment without spectators. I've often wondered how TGBBO manages to maintain secrecy, considering that so many people (including young children) saw how it came out and must then keep it quiet for months.

• Love 2

There was a little blurb in The New York Times this morning that Netflix is streaming early seasons of TGBBO. I checked and right now it looks like just Season 1.

Yay!  I just noticed it was on Netflix today and ran over here to make sure everyone knew!  It's UK Season 5 meaning US Season 1 (Martha, Nancy, Norman, Chetna, etc).  Whoever with TPTB decided to call it season 1 for US airings just is a dope.  

Also, I got mostly caught up watching the prior seasons on You Tube, and noticed that the US versions have all the (to me) delightful historical bits edited out.  For those not in the know, Mel and Sue go on jaunts telling the histories of the cupcake, digestive biscuits, and other goodies.

Jeez, I just adore this show.  It's such a refreshing concept for reality competition and I never want anyone to go home! 

• Love 2

Thanks for the link, this is my favorite part:

Do the show’s producers try to create drama?

No, or at least, not any more—and what they did do during season one was low-key for a reality series. Host Sue Perkins revealed as part of a profile in The Telegraph that she and Mel actually walked off the set at some point because of producers attempts to contestants for drama, which the paper compares to The X Factor. Sue said:

“We felt uncomfortable with it, and we said ‘We don’t think you’ve got the right presenters’. I’m proud that we did that, because what we were saying was ‘Let’s try and do this a different way’—and no one ever cried again. Maybe they cry because their soufflé collapsed, but nobody’s crying because someone’s going ‘Does this mean a lot about your grandmother?’ Many the bakers have sad stories, but guess what? We never touch on any of them.”

Sue says that controversy is “My idea of hell” and added, “A good Bake Off for me is just about cakes and nice people—and that’s a successful show.”

Sue & Mel have gone up 1000,000,000 points in my estimation, I will never say anything bad about them again.

• Love 6

Ruby Tandoh (from PBS season 2/UK series 4) was mentioned in the Miscellaneous Celebrity News thread:

One of the contestants from The Great British Baking Show has written a couple of op-ed type articles about Internet haters, which, yes it's awful, but c'mon. Haven't we all learned by now to ignore the Internet?

The first link is to an October GQ article, "Britain Is Currently Losing Its Sh*t Over This Meaningless TV Baking Competition." (Spoiler alert: it shows who won UK series 3, which has not yet aired in the US.) Despite the snarky title, it's actually complimentary:

It's strange, and the stakes are pathetically low, but The Great British Bake Off, which is currently airing on PBS as The Great British Baking Show, is fucking brilliant, and if you're not watching it you're missing out on maybe the most satisfying cooking show TV has ever seen.

The second link is to Ruby's 2013 opinion piece in the Guardian, "The Great British Bake Off: why did our show attract so much vitriol?"

So much of the criticism levelled at the bakers is gender-specific. My self-doubt has been simultaneously labelled pathetic, fake, attention-seeking, and manipulative.… Kimberley's self-assurance—a character trait so lauded in men—has been rebranded as smugness, cockiness, and even malice.

I saw those same opinions of Ruby here in the forums, but nothing negative about Kimberley. (I do remember lots of compliments on her smile.) IIRC, the criticism of Ruby here was more generational than gendered. ("Why do kids today put themselves down?")

Edited by editorgrrl

I hope Ruby's degree isn't in journalism; that was difficult to read. I watched her season when it originally aired, and again this last time. I don't remember any negative comments about Kimberley, and I read the Daily Mail comments. They also didn't seem sexist.

In addition to Ruby being new to the internet in general, she apparently wasn't aware that this show took place before her season, because there was male contestant the year before who was absolutely ripped to shreds about his looks, even though he seemed to be a pleasant person. He was called a hippy, told he needed serious dental work, a hair cut, etc. He also wrote an article about it, and if I have time later I will try and find his name and the article. It was well written. I think he said were told to avoid the media because people are a-holes, and he didn't realize all of the hateful things until way after it was over.

Edited to add, I don't doubt that hurtful things were said about Ruby that upset her greatly. People can be nasty. The amount of vitriol directed toward her was probably more than she expected. If I were ever on a reality show, I would expect comments along the line of, "Goodness this woman's life is boring. I'd rather watch paint dry," and "Hasn't she ever heard of a hot comb?" etc.

Edited by Christina
  • Love 1

I remember that guy! That is, I don't remember his name. I remember his funky teeth and how glad I was when he was eliminated just because I couldn't look at the screen when he was on without feeling squicked. Which is horribly, horribly shallow of me, I confess.  

• Love 1

[Ruby] apparently wasn't aware that this show took place before her season, because there was a male contestant the year before who was absolutely ripped to shreds about his looks, even though he seemed to be a pleasant person. He was called a hippy, told he needed serious dental work, a haircut, etc.

He also wrote an article about it, and if I have time later I will try and find his name and the article. It was well written. I think he said the bakers were told to avoid the media because people are a-holes, and he didn't realize all of the hateful things until way after it was over.

Do you mean Jordan Cox? He was on after Ruby, not before (UK series 5, PBS season 1). And Ruby's article is from 2013.

But I do look forward to reading the article you cited.

Edited by editorgrrl
I saw those same opinions of Ruby here in the forums, but nothing negative about Kimberley.

I don't think the criticisms of Ruby here devolved into the gender-based sleeze that's the stock-and-trade of reddit and the comments section of news sites.

• Love 1

In August 2014, series 4's Ruby Tandoh wrote about Iain Watters' melted baked alaska (series 5, episode 4): http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/28/great-british-bake-off-scandal-unacceptable

Twitter was instantly aflame. The revolt was two-pronged: many viewers, and some of the less scrupulous ex-bakers, called for "Justice for Iain"; others simply went straight for Diana [beard]. To see the remarks in isolation – "she's evil", "drown her", "stone her"—you could be forgiven for thinking that they're quotes from the Salem witch trials—not a hate campaign against a 69-year-old WI member and amateur baker from rural Shropshire.

• Love 1

After a firewall and spam blocker upgrade, I have had a terrible time with PTV constantly wanting to debug something. I've tried posting several times, and not one has gone through. So, I'm going to make a comment and break up the link to see if that helps.

Jordan is definitely the guy who was called hippy and made fun of for his dental needs, but his face is not the face I was remembering, so now I'm wondering who the other guy is. Jordan is a regular contributor to his hometown paper, The Nottingham Post, along with several baking blogs and a reality tv site. I've searched through about 50 articles trying to find the one about his experiences, and where he wrote about avoiding the comments at first. I didn't find the one written by him, but I did find his responses to some questions from a blogger and apparently his friend, that I'm breaking the link up on. kerry cooks.com/ interview-jordan-cox-great-british-bake-season-five-contestant Kerry cooks should be together, and there is another space in front of interview. I'm hoping it will go through.

In that interview, he mentions that: "I have also had an awful lot of hate and nastiness thrown my way. Mainly for silly things like the way I talk or my, rather colourful, dress sense and hair! I am used to this, having been bullied throughout my school years, and I vowed at the very start that I would not let it affect me. Still, it’s hard not to take it to heart when you receive your 100’th awful email of the day!  I have had the press turn up on my door, hounding me for an interview. I have had the national papers take my words and twist them to their own agenda. This, all over a bit of cake. The mind boggles." (I'm afraid to use a quote box for fear of the stupid debug error).

A comment on one of his Nottingham Post articles said that Iain (of the Baked Alaska bingate) said on twitter that they were told to avoid social media and asked him if he also received that advice, but there was no response. I read some of Iain's tweets, but I think it is just too old to find now. Iain's Twitter is @iain_watters and Jordan's is @LaPetitLion Marsha's is @marthacollison  Luis's @luistroyano  ‏Chetna @chetnamakan Nancy @nancybbakes Richard @RichardPBurr @bake_therapist @Treaclebakes  @EnwezorN Since they were all together, I went a head and posted them in case anyone want to follow them.

• Love 1

I saw those same opinions of Ruby here in the forums, but nothing negative about Kimberley. (I do remember lots of compliments on her smile.) IIRC, the criticism of Ruby here was more generational than gendered. ("Why do kids today put themselves down?")

I didn't see any criticism of Kimberley, either (and I was expecting to, since her confidence was the kind of thing people can't usually tolerate from women), but I absolutely agree with Ruby that the vitriol directed at her was very much gendered. I don't think any contestant before her generated so much antipathy from the audience and for what? Being a perfectionist and never being pleased with what she produced? Burn the witch! If the criticism really was generational, then Martha would have produced a similar reaction, but people loved her, I assume because she was always upbeat and smiling whereas Ruby tended more towards gloominess (though she had a delightful sense of humour). And let's not forget the nastiness of the comments about Ruby's relationship with Paul, which, given Ruby's sexuality, have now been proven completely false and mean-spirited (but, as she herself said on Twitter, it shouldn't take a woman coming out to disprove that she would sleep with a man to get ahead. The whole thing was just really gross). So yeah, it's not like Ruby was exaggerating. 

On an unrelated note, I came here to see if there were any news on when the Master Classes/Class of 2014 episodes will air (if they will at all). I'm dying to know how last season's bakers are doing.

• Love 2

Yet for me, I find a lot of the attitude towards Ruby now rather saint'ish.  As if all personal subjective takes on how Ruby carried herself and responded is evil and nefarious and completely out of hand.  I found her annoying sometimes.  Still do.  I think in good part as to her wilting hand wringing constantly which just goes to odds over someone who puts themselves on television in that manner.  I get insecurities.  I get stage fright even.  But the constant self-deprecation often bordered on serving as her own Greek Chorus and it seemed to be an affectation at times.  Whether it was or not, I have no idea.  But that was my take and will continue to be my take.  That doesn't make her a villain in my eyes or worth raging scorn.  But I think my take is no less fair than those who sing her praises to the vaulted heavens.

As for Paul perhaps showing a bit of higher regard for the efforts of a young pretty woman than he might otherwise?  That is on Paul and has nothing to do with Ruby's sexual identity doesn't it?  I get that some went all conspiracy theory as to them having an affair.  But I think it is also quite possible that Paul merely responded in a way that Mary could have as well.  As a human race, we tend to give more benefit to what we deem pretty.  Even, and often, when we don't even realize we are doing so.  I saw it more as Paul playing a role he has firm in his mind as being this hair gelled, blue eyed irresistible man with a loose zipper and spreading middle.  But if others saw him perhaps simply just responding to Ruby's looks, I don't think that either deserves being lumped in as evil or outrageous or with the true vitriol.  One thing I have seen post partum that season is a huge all or nothing approach that has also dipped into the vitriol at times.  If you criticize one aspect you are considered an over reacting troll of some sorts.

• Love 2

Poor thing was nervous and the cake turned out a bit wonky (leaning a bit). 

Honestly, what is wrong with PBS - they need to show that season ASAP.  Especially now that the winner has been spoiled in every article about the Queen's bday. And also because its an amazing season.

• Love 3

The winner of the latest season (not seen in U.S. yet so this is a spoiler if you don't know yet), is baking the Queen's birthday cake:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/04/21/475007057/british-bake-off-winner-takes-on-the-toughest-judge-of-all-the-queen

Poor thing was nervous and the cake turned out a bit wonky (leaning a bit). 

Honestly, what is wrong with PBS - they need to show that season ASAP.  Especially now that the winner has been spoiled in every article about the Queen's bday. And also because its an amazing season.

I'm glad I read your comments, because I had no idea & haven't seen the season yet. Now I'll stay away from articles about the Queen's birthday.

So happy for 

her!

I can't imagine what baking a cake for the Queen must feel like, but what an honor. It's definitely leaning a bit in that picture, but I don't think it really loses any of its charm because of it. 

2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

When they air the show in England, have they completed the whole season?

Yes. I remember reading that in the 2014 series, they started in April and finished in June. A couple of the contestants have mentioned having viewing parties with each other and watching their family/friends react.

• Love 1

It impresses me that the identity of the winner manages to remain secret each time, as those finale parties are massive events, with friends and family all present, and everybody present will know the outcome. Maybe they all sign punitive nondisclosure agreements, but in my experience secrets shared that widely (including children and other fond relatives) always leaks somehow.

That's why I asked about the filming schedule. I'm rewatching PBS season 1 and in the 6th episode Glenn says something about his co-workers commenting about how he's still in the competition. It made it seem as if each episode aired shortly after it was filmed.    

Yes, Quilt Fairy, I had rather assumed that the contestants kept going up each weekend after elimination (just hanging out in the hotel), to preserve secrecy about who had been eliminated. (Much as The Amazing Race sequesters eliminates racers, and runs decoy routes in the last few cities.) But it sounds as if they don't, bakers resume their regular weekend lives once eliminated. Which adds even more to the number of outsiders who have information about the progress of the competition. And it still doesn't leak?

The Guardian actually had an article about this last year. This article reveals the winner of the 2015 competition so do not click if you are a PBS viewer.

Nancy Birtwhistle, who won Bake Off last year, explained how this pressure to keep the show’s secrets could be agonising. Even the fact that she was on the show had to be kept quiet until its screening started. “The trouble was I couldn’t share my secret with anyone outside the family. I remember fizzing inside, wanting to shout, ‘Guess what? I am on Bake Off!’ but I couldn’t,” she said. “I remember friends popping round for a cuppa and they said, ‘Every time we come – you’re baking!’ I said I just loved it but they told me later they really thought I had some cooking-related OCD problem, which was being made worse since I had retired.”

Birtwhistle said that keeping the secret had been fine during July because nothing had yet been broadcast, but from August, when the show hits the screens, it had become increasingly difficult.

(...)

For the BBC, the key issue is about keeping the trust of viewers. “There is a sort of unspoken honour not to reveal who leaves the shows each week and who the ultimate winners are,” said Mark Linsey, BBC deputy director of television and controller of entertainment commissioning.

And with almost 14 million viewers tuning in to see the Bake Off final, the proof of the effort the programme-makers put in is clearly in the pudding.

The article goes on to discuss how Masterchef UK which is another BBC show keeps its secrets (only telling 1-2 people in your life, having a small crew, calling the show if you want to lie, confidentiality agreements).

(edited)
3 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Yes, Quilt Fairy, I had rather assumed that the contestants kept going up each weekend after elimination (just hanging out in the hotel), to preserve secrecy about who had been eliminated. (Much as The Amazing Race sequesters eliminates racers, and runs decoy routes in the last few cities.) But it sounds as if they don't, bakers resume their regular weekend lives once eliminated. Which adds even more to the number of outsiders who have information about the progress of the competition. And it still doesn't leak?

What's crazier is that online betting sites offer bets on the show - who will be the winner, who will be dropped, etc.. There were some controversies over the show last year.

↓ I've read it over and over to make sure there is no spoiler in my post. Still I'd use the tag for those who don't want to read anything regarding the new series, 

Spoiler

- One of contestants was revealed to be a semi-professional and became bookies' favorite.

- 'betting got suspended due to fear of a leak of the name of the winner. A bookmaker halted betting on the show after "a run of bets" was placed for one contestant, many at shops in a certain area. It was also claimed that dozens of employees of BBC as well as the production company, Love Productions, had opened gambling accounts to place bets on the eventual winner.'

- And a happening, 'In a BBC Radio 2 broadcast, judge Mary Berry accidentally revealed the eliminated contestant prior to the airing of episode x.' 

Edited by sum