Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm so glad we're getting the newest season, I'm also glad the show switched from PBS to Netflix, because we would be waiting a year for this on PBS. 

Except for those of us who don't get (can't afford) Netflix.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, limecoke said:

So Netflix is offering one of the early seasons never seen on PBS.  It’s “The Great British Baking Show: The Beginnings.”  Couldn’t be happier.

You guys are torturing me. I’m gonna have to figure out this Netflix thing. Is it expensive?

Edited by Spunkygal
40 minutes ago, limecoke said:

So Netflix is offering one of the early seasons never seen on PBS.  It’s “The Great British Baking Show: The Beginnings.”  Couldn’t be happier.

It's lovely that Netflix is showing it, but it was definitely seen on PBS -- it even has the PBS logo at the beginning.

It's the season shown on PBS most recently, just months ago: BBC Series 3, which is PBS Season 5, and is now Netflix "TGBBS The Beginnings, Season 1." I've been a defender/explainer of the different numbering systems in the UK and on PBS, but I can't find any excuse for this new system.

Anyway, it's the season with Ryan, Cathryn, Brendan, Sarah-Jane, John, and James. 

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

You guys are torturing me. I’m gonna have to figure out this Netflix thing. Is it expensive?

It’s about 8€ a month for me. For comparison, a cinema ticket would cost about 12 or 13€. 

There’s usually a first month free option which would give you a chance to see if they have enough shows/movies you’d want to watch 

• Love 1

Thanks for straightening that out, Rinaldo.  I don’t remember ever seeing this season on PBS .  In fact, I watched it on YouTube a few years ago.  I find the Brit vs PBS season numbering system completely stupid and confusing.  Whatever it is, it’s a good season and fun to watch again.

22 hours ago, limecoke said:

I don’t remember ever seeing this season on PBS .

It's the season that aired (once) on PBS in June/July this year and finished about a week or two before Netflix dropped (aired) Season 8 (the first non-Mary season), if that helps clarify. I believe the season that just finished airing in Britain (Season 9) is dropping today (Nov 9) on Netflix (called "season 6" by Netflix).

Thanks.  That explains it because I completely ignored the recent PBS airing knowing it was an old one I’d seen on YouTube a couple of years ago.  I’m enjoying watching it again though the finalists weren’t my all.time favorites (was happy about the winner though).  I assume we’ll eventually get season 1 & 2 on “Beginnings” after PBS airs them.  Someday.

I noticed that Netflix dropped the new season today.  I might save that for a bit as I just watched season eight.  

Edited by limecoke
On 11/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, limecoke said:

I find the Brit vs PBS season numbering system completely stupid and confusing.

Yeah, I'm not sure why PBS felt the need to renumber the seasons when they aired them because it just ended up confusing everyone about which season they were actually watching. Hopefully this helps!

UK S1 (2010)
UK S2 (2011)
UK S3 (2012) = US PBS S5 (2018) = US Netflix "The Beginnings" collection 1
UK S4 (2013) = US PBS S2 (2015) = US Netflix GBBS collection 2
UK S5 (2014) = US PBS S1 (2015) = US Netflix GBBS collection 1
UK S6 (2015) = US PBS S3 (2016) = US Netflix GBBS collection 3
UK S7 (2016) = US PBS S4 (2017) = US Netflix GBBS collection 4
UK S8 (2017) = US Netflix GBBS collection 5
UK S9 (2018) = US Netflix GBBS collection 6

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not sure why PBS felt the need to renumber the seasons when they aired them

That bit's the easy part to understand, as far as I'm concerned, because if you're picking up an ongoing series and airing it in a new market for the first time, calling your first season "Season 5" is just asking for complaints and confusion. Unfortunately that one (understandable) decision doomed them to further confusion as they alternated moving forward and dipping into the past in subsequent years.

This helpful listing (thanks, @ElectricBoogaloo!) shows that Netflix is retaining the PBS numbers up to 4, then continuing consecutively into newer seasons, which shunting off anything earlier than UK S4 into a separate "Beginnings" identity. (We may hope they'll eventually add the first two UK series, never otherwise to be seen in the US.) 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

Don't read the second link above unless you feel like being very spoiled :(

My bad. I was less cautious, as now all the latest series are available and assumed only people who've watched the whole S09 would click the link...

12 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Here's an interview with Kim-Joy.  She's delightful. 

I'm not particularly a fan of hers but I liked the interview. I thought these two parts were notable:

The show has evolved pastoral care: “Someone rings you every few days just to have a chat. And I think that carries on for quite a while. She called us throughout the whole show, and still calls now. I’ve not needed any support. But sometimes you can’t really tell with people, they surprise you.”

“I am modest,” she says, “but I think Rahul is more modest. If it came across the other way, it’s because I always expected things to go badly in the tent, not to be as good as it was at home, so if something went wrong in the tent, I didn’t really talk about it. Whereas Rahul expected everything to be perfect, because that’s how it was at home.”

It's an interesting take on Rahul's anxiety in the tent and I'm so glad Love Productions does look after contestants.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 2

The Great British Baking Show: Holidays https://www.netflix.com/title/81013505

(Eater.com) The Great British Baking Show is also getting a holiday special, which will land on Netflix on November 30. This one-off episode will feature hosts Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith welcoming “some favorite bakers back to the tent for a holiday confection competition.” 

It sounds like there will be only the last year's Christmas one. However, the description under the trailer on Netflix page says 'two yuletide specials'. So I think both Christmas & Festive episode will be available after all.

Who will be on the show, The Great Christmas Bake Off / Great Festive Bake Off bakers revealed     
*To avoid any accidental spoilers, it's a link to my post from last year. It still has information about at which stage the said baker was eliminated, one from UK S02, the rest from UK S03-S07.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 10:27 AM, Ceindreadh said:

It’s about 8€ a month for me. For comparison, a cinema ticket would cost about 12 or 13€. 

There’s usually a first month free option which would give you a chance to see if they have enough shows/movies you’d want to watch 

Ok, so I bought a smart TV last week and got Netflix. It was so easy to set up. I may never leave my house. We binged on GBBO during Thanksgiving. Can’t wait for the holiday shows. How can life be so good?

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Ok, so I bought a smart TV last week and got Netflix. It was so easy to set up. I may never leave my house. We binged on GBBO during Thanksgiving. Can’t wait for the holiday shows. How can life be so good?

I know what you mean. I discovered all sorts of BBC procedural police dramas on Netflix which are a particular weakness of mine. Indeed, how can life be so good!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Vulture article catching up with every season's winner (spoilers, of course): What Happens After You Win The Great British Baking Show?

For an article with links galore, you'd think they would have bothered providing links to the winners' Twitter and Instagram accounts when they listed how many followers they each have. My other nitpick is the absolutely shitty pictures they chose for each baker. I wish they had used pictures that showed more of their faces rather than screencaps of them in profile or with their heads down.

• Love 3

I was just watching the latest episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.  His main topic was Brexit, which he described as a national crisis on the level of the Great War, the Blitz, and "Deborah using Howard's custard by mistake".

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

Channel 4 UK Announces Junior Bake Off To Air Later This Year

Comedian, author and a man who likes a significant shirt collar, Harry Hill, will host the new 15 part series of Junior Bake Off.  Joining Harry, Prue Leith will swap the grown ups tent to judge the budding junior bakers alongside Bake Off alumni Liam Charles.

Forty of the country’s best junior bakers, aged 9-15 will enter the Bake Off tent where their cake-making, biscuit baking, bread and pastry making skills will be tested to the limit.  In each of the ten heats, the junior bakers face two challenges, the Technical Bake and the Showstopper with only four making it through to the grand final.

I avoid the Chopped Junior, GGG Junior, and any of the other Food Network series with child competitors because I disagree with treating them like they are professionals (calling them "chefs").  I feel like it diminishes the professionals' accomplishments and, frankly, I find the children pretentious.  However, the Bake Offs are amateur competitions so I'll give this one a chance.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, RealityCheck said:

Channel 4 UK Announces Junior Bake Off To Air Later This Year

I avoid the Chopped Junior, GGG Junior, and any of the other Food Network series with child competitors because I disagree with treating them like they are professionals (calling them "chefs").  I feel like it diminishes the professionals' accomplishments and, frankly, I find the children pretentious.  However, the Bake Offs are amateur competitions so I'll give this one a chance.

You had me until the last sentence, I'm going to have to pass on this because I hate kids competition shows.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Since I’m pretty sure Netflix is available in the UK,

I claim no particular knowledge but Netflix can certainly customize what's available in different countries. I became aware of this when I was in Hong Kong last week and half the stuff I was watching at home was unavailable there.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think Netflix aired it a couple of weeks after it ended in the UK.

I think that's right (after a wee bit of research): GBBS airs one week, on Netflix, after the GBBO finale on Channel 4 in the UK. So that's sometime in November, if I'm reading it right.