Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Spills, Pills and the Midnight Lasagna

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"Why isn't this guy running the country? Way more qualified than that pillow guy." 

LMFAO at that XD. Nice

Aw, poor Mark. I was hoping they would make a nod to Roseanne and her struggle with pills, so I'm glad that Dan mentioned that to Darlene during their talk. I feel for him being pulled out of the school, but I do think, under the circumstances, it might be for the best. And given this family's history of addiction, it's not surprising Mark would get addicted to pills, so yeah, just 'cause he's out of the school doesn't mean that issue's resolved. Hopefully they'll continue to keep an eye on that. 

Also, damn, Mark really hit one hell of a growth spurt, didn't he? 

I liked Becky trying to point out to Jackie how ridiculous she was being with her behavior regarding Helen (though I did laugh at Jackie's line about kicking Helen's ass...so long as someone held her still and she could roll into her :p). And I liked her flirting with the doctor, too. Her reaction to that photo of him on his Instagram aside, I wonder if they'll meet up again sometime. I liked Neville talking to Jackie at the end. 

I was wondering what happened to make it where Harris could move in with Aldo again, so that ending answered that. At least she's in a safe, warm place close to home. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Damn I knew Darlene was a crappy mom but she is a crappy mom.  Still... she should have pulled Mark out of that school as soon as she found out about the pills.

I guess after couch surfing Harris decided to take residence in the trailer. 

I didn't realize Neville was younger than Jackie.

They REALLY REALLY REALLY need to redo the intro.

• Love 14

The Flex-Seal guy being way more qualified than the pillow guy made me laugh, low-hanging fruit though it may be.

But this was another ho-hum episode.

I missed the first five minutes, so I missed the set-up for Mark's problem.  "Is this your first day here, who's happy?" about him not wanting to struggle like the rest of them and Darlene being reluctant to pull him from the magnet school were nice moments of a story that wasn't properly told.

I loved "You were right, Mom, I did say that ('If you hate me, then I'm doing my job') to my kids one day", though.

But "How many times in high school did you give me all your weed?" is bullshit; we learned in the original series Darlene rejected pot immediately because it dulled her hatred.

"You are not old, you are crazy" and "I don't want to be active, I just want to sit and go to hell" were funny moments between Jackie and Neville, and they're clearly trying to salvage this relationship for the long haul despite the creepy way it began, but I'm still on the fence.

At least we know where Harris has been staying (that looked like a different trailer, but I didn't pay proper attention the first time, and that's an obvious unforced error I hope the show wouldn't make).

But, overall - meh.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Yes. I close my eyes.

Had to google what a Magnet school was. I thought they said MAGA and I was like what?? Lol

Mark needs therapy like now or he's going to be a mess as an adult. He triggers my anxiety. He puts way too much on himself all the time. It's like he's trying to compensate for the short comings of his family or feels he needs to.

Becky is such a breath of fresh air on this show. I always enjoy her scenes. 

Jackie was funny tonight. Good balance of funny and crazy.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Love 15

Didn’t watch the episode, just caught whatever clip I saw of Becky and something about a doctor, which I don’t really care about. I find her scenes more cringey every time I see something from a promo. Stopped caring about her character and everyone  last season.

but since I am familiar with magnet school and the term magnet might as well share my knowledge about it. My middle school had a magnet academy, as well as my high school. It is a separate program that students can choose to be apart of. Magnet schools and Or programs are designed specifically to attract certain individuals(students) to them.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I liked that Jackie (finally) addressed her concerns with Neville like an adult rather than a lunatic, and everything worked out. I also got some laughs out of Becky flirting with the doctor and then stalking his social media. It was also nice to see Ben sitting with the family and supporting Mark without getting into a bitchfest with Darlene. What a revelation!

But yet again, I hated the way Darlene handled the situation with Mark. This woman is incapable of anything other than rash decisions when it comes to her kids. She went straight to yanking him out of his school without even attempting another solution. At the very least she could have looked at his syllabus to get a handle on his workload. And why not set up a meeting with his teachers and/or guidance counselor to discuss his options? Maybe he can change his class schedule or get after-school help. I'm not minimizing the seriousness of him turning to drugs to deal with his stress, but this school is a big opportunity for Mark, and Darlene should at least get a fuller understanding of the problem before choosing the nuclear option.

• Love 21

I kind of understand Darlene's choice to pull Mark out of the magnet school.  Dan suggested it first but then said, "You're the mother."  Darlene would have to go to the school and tell them why Mark is having problems and that he turned to drugs to cope, which would in turn get him expelled from the school for illicit drug use!  How else is she going to explain her concerns about too heavy a load or that she feels the school is not right for him and get him to stay?  Lie and just tell them she found out Mark is drinking too much coffee?

Anyway, funnily enough I found myself laughing a few times during this episode.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also, damn, Mark really hit one hell of a growth spurt, didn't he? 

He's grown since the beginning of this season! I don't know what the shooting time frame now is with Covid protocols. I know it was taking longer at one point but geez. I remember reading somewhere they had to recast the original Hobie on Baywatch because the actor grew so fast. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, OLynn33 said:

He's grown since the beginning of this season! I don't know what the shooting time frame now is with Covid protocols. I know it was taking longer at one point but geez. I remember reading somewhere they had to recast the original Hobie on Baywatch because the actor grew so fast. 

Early in the season they had him seated in all of his scenes so that his growth spurt wouldn't be evident. They've been doing the same thing on Young Sheldon as the kid who plays him has also sprung up. It's been bugging me with both shows, though I understand the why of it. With Mark I think it makes some sense given how short Darlene and David are. His height is especially notable. But with YS, it makes less sense. Adult Sheldon is a string bean, so it would make sense for YS too. 

But I di-Greg (to quote my fav teacher on TikTok). I really appreciated that Jackie was allowed to be a lot more normal in last night's episode. Since this reboot started they've really leaned into her more exaggerated characteristics and it's been bugging me. (guess everything is bugging me). Jackie of original recipe Roseanne certainly had some big, histrionic moments, but she was also very normal and thoughtful much of the time. This last aspect has been largely absent in the reboot. So I appreciated some thoughtfulness from her in regards to Neville (after the requisite wackiness).

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Magnet schools are a big deal in some school systems. Here in NYC, the elite public schools (!) have a test, and thousands of kids, many poor and working-class take it because they see it as a way to get into a great college.

However...switching schools midyear shouldn't be the first solution for a kid with anxiety like Mark. No one suggested things like "tutoring" or a talk with his teachers (leaving out the Adderall). Or some kind of school support (which should be there, because they are a fancy public school that wants to keep its image up.)

Mark is smart enough to know that it is going to be like this if he wants to pull himself up. But also that getting into drugs, especially this early, isn't going to do it for him.

(We had an intern at a company I worked at a few years ago, and she was from an Ivy. FIrst generation American of immigrant parents, and she'd casually talk about how the people in her circle popped Adderall for their multi-hour study sessions.)

Mark needs therapy, period. And given that Darlene has a full-time job, she probably has benefits that will cover it.

The one thing that has always bugged me about this reboot is that it seems to be written by people who don't remember being working class and actual solutions that the Conners and the people around them would know about.

(Don't even get me STARTED on how DJ could walk into a federal job like that...)

• Love 9
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

If a kid as smart as Mark can't handle the workload,  then something is off. He should be getting some counseling at school.

Mark seems like a perfectionist (surrounded by schleppers) and he is highly motivated NOT to end up like the rest of his lazy family.  What pissed me off royally is that Darlene just decided to pull him out of school instead of trying to work through the problem - i.e. school counseling (which IMHO Mark desperately needs) and tutoring or working with the teacher regarding his assignment.  Oh hey, here's an idea - how about Becky the family brainiac (at least back in high school) could tutor him. Or Darlene - wasn't Darlene a college graduate? Or else work a few extra shifts and pay for a tutor (or barter - I knew people who traded housecleaning and baked goods to pay for extra tutoring for their kids).  Mark also comes from a family with addiction issues so counseling would also be a good thing.  But hey, Darlene is too busy with her dating life instead of being a responsible mom. And I felt she was being vindictive not calling Harris.  I really like her less than I already did. 

• Love 10

Mark needs therapy, period. And given that Darlene has a full-time job, she probably has benefits that will cover it.

If she's anything like my parents, who when they put me into therapy, were told that this sort of problem would be better addressed in family therapy, pulled me out and declared me cured.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I liked that Jackie (finally) addressed her concerns with Neville like an adult rather than a lunatic, and everything worked out. I also got some laughs out of Becky flirting with the doctor and then stalking his social media. It was also nice to see Ben sitting with the family and supporting Mark without getting into a bitchfest with Darlene. What a revelation!

But yet again, I hated the way Darlene handled the situation with Mark. This woman is incapable of anything other than rash decisions when it comes to her kids. She went straight to yanking him out of his school without even attempting another solution. At the very least she could have looked at his syllabus to get a handle on his workload. And why not set up a meeting with his teachers and/or guidance counselor to discuss his options? Maybe he can change his class schedule or get after-school help. I'm not minimizing the seriousness of him turning to drugs to deal with his stress, but this school is a big opportunity for Mark, and Darlene should at least get a fuller understanding of the problem before choosing the nuclear option.

Agreed. He's going to grow to think that at the first sign of trouble - bail. She could at least attempt to work with guidance counselors etc.  Given his family's history I can see where the addition would come from but simply switching school might not be the end to it. Darlene should keep an eye on him but we know she won't because she's' an awful mother. 

I thought the things the doctor was into (history and HP) was sweet. The Connors are a odd mix of stuck-up and desperate. 

Also, what did the actress who plays poor Mary do to the producers/writers etc.? I get that Michael Fishman seems to want to be more off screen but isn't Jayden Rey a series regular? It's like they wanted credit for being diverse without actually using any of the diverse characters at all. I for one could use more DJ's family for a bit and less of Darlene's. 

• Love 7

All of the suggestions of Darlene getting school counseling and tutors (which cost extra money; do they have it?) is fine if Mark was originally struggling through his first year in magnet school, but he made the Dean's List because he stayed up all hours thanks to drugs.  He needs drug counseling to convince him to try other methods of coping throughout life, not just get through another test.  It seems to me this particlar magnet school may be a pressure cooker for the students and they are left to sink or swim.  We know Mark is smart, intelligent and motivated.

• Love 8

I didn't realize Neville was younger than Jackie.

By 20 years, assuming the characters are the same age as their portrayers. Laurie Metcalf will be 67 this year; Nat Faxon, 47.

The whole thing with Mark is perhaps the most interesting story they've come up with. I don't know if pulling him out of that school is the right answer or not but it's not as cut and dry as most of the other things the show has come up with.

I know Aldo didn't want Harris living with him, but does she still work at his tattoo parlor? Doesn't she have an income, and can't she rent a place of her own? I don't imagine rents are that high in Lanford.

• Love 9

Jackie's insanity is getting old. It's beyond "wacky Jackie"...dare I hope that they'll tone it down a bit now that she and Neville have hashed things out? (And how many times now have we seen her practically dump a customer's food in their lap because she had some bright idea? How does anyone eat there more than once?)

19 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

but since I am familiar with magnet school and the term magnet might as well share my knowledge about it. My middle school had a magnet academy, as well as my high school. It is a separate program that students can choose to be apart of. Magnet schools and Or programs are designed specifically to attract certain individuals(students) to them.

My high school district has a dozen magnet programs (between six schools). The school I went to has computer science and a culinary & hospitality program, which runs a café that's open to the public (but you have to show ID and check in with the school security office to get in), though apparently it's takeout only right now; in normal times there's a full service dining room and they also do banquets. Other schools have business admin, medical sciences, global studies, performing arts.... None of that existed when I was a student.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Jackie's insanity is getting old. It's beyond "wacky Jackie"...dare I hope that they'll tone it down a bit now that she and Neville have hashed things out? (And how many times now have we seen her practically dump a customer's food in their lap because she had some bright idea? How does anyone eat there more than once?)

My high school district has a dozen magnet programs (between six schools). The school I went to has computer science and a culinary & hospitality program, which runs a café that's open to the public (but you have to show ID and check in with the school security office to get in), though apparently it's takeout only right now; in normal times there's a full service dining room and they also do banquets. Other schools have business admin, medical sciences, global studies, performing arts.... None of that existed when I was a student.

In middle school I was apart of one program (environmental science academy just a program more geared towards science and going hiking on Wednesdays) and the magnet program was a different program. But everyone in my middle school knew the magnet program got special treatment, they even had different colored uniform shirts. That set them apart from the rest of the student body. Everyone who wasn’t magnet thought magnet kids were stuck up, smarter than the rest of the student body. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I was really impressed by Ames McNamara in this episode; he played Mark's anxiety over how he wanted to excel in school really well.

One thing that bugged me, though, was how quick his pill addiction materialized. I hate making comparisons to the original show all the time, but one thing they were great at was building slowly to a bigger story--there would be all of these little things over the course of several episodes, leading up to a major event that made sense looking back (the revelation that Jackie was being abused by Fisher comes to mind the most).

Mark's addiction, meanwhile, even knowing that magnet school would be more demanding than a regular public school, feels more out of nowhere, and therefore doesn't have the same kind of impact.

I did like Harris showing up to support Mark when he got on the Dean's List/to check out the doctor's Instagram with Becky--she started out the weak link among the cast, but is SO much more likeable now--the fact that it makes Darlene look bad is a huge plus for me, hee! :D 

I loved seeing Becky being mistaken for younger than she is--Lecy Goranson barely looks any different than she did 30 years ago; I swear she's got a portrait in an attic somewhere.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10
31 minutes ago, UYI said:

I loved seeing Becky being mistaken for younger than she is--Lecy Goranson barely looks any different than she did 30 years ago; I swear she's got a portrait in an attic somewhere.

It totally threw me when she mentioned she was 46. I was sitting here like, "No, that can't be right..." and then I did the math and now I feel old :p. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

It totally threw me when she mentioned she was 46. I was sitting here like, "No, that can't be right..." and then I did the math and now I feel old :p. 

I am also 46. I don't look that good. Back to my yoga mat...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5

When Darlene was carping about her rules and living under "her roof", I really wanted Mark to smart off and remind her that is, in fact, NOT "her roof".

Cute, relatively young doctor with a boat and no parents?  I'd let him play Quidditch in the park all he wanted! 

I know nothing about Harry Potter other than, according to a quiz I took, I'm a  Ravenclaw with a dash of Slytherin.  Whatever that means.  So I have no idea if Gryffindor is good or bad, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Mark seems like a perfectionist (surrounded by schleppers) and he is highly motivated NOT to end up like the rest of his lazy family.  What pissed me off royally is that Darlene just decided to pull him out of school instead of trying to work through the problem - i.e. school counseling (which IMHO Mark desperately needs) and tutoring or working with the teacher regarding his assignment.  Oh hey, here's an idea - how about Becky the family brainiac (at least back in high school) could tutor him. Or Darlene - wasn't Darlene a college graduate? Or else work a few extra shifts and pay for a tutor (or barter - I knew people who traded housecleaning and baked goods to pay for extra tutoring for their kids).  Mark also comes from a family with addiction issues so counseling would also be a good thing.  But hey, Darlene is too busy with her dating life instead of being a responsible mom. And I felt she was being vindictive not calling Harris.  I really like her less than I already did. 

I feel like Darlene does not really respect working hard and getting good grades because she was never that type of person. She got into “art school” on her talent and also has mentioned good grades did not do anything for Becky. Darlene never worked hard in school, yet she is the one with the degree and the manager position at the factory. Though none of this has made her successful enough to move out of her father’s house.

All if you have been talking about how good Becky looks (and she does) but I am constantly amazed at the youthful energy of Aunt Jackie. That woman is almost 70! Too bad they made her character an annoying idiot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Sile said:

When Darlene was carping about her rules and living under "her roof", I really wanted Mark to smart off and remind her that is, in fact, NOT "her roof".

Me, too! I was thinking, "if it's your roof why do you sleep in your brother's childhood bedroom upstairs across the hall from your kids and not the master?"

5 hours ago, Sile said:

I know nothing about Harry Potter other than, according to a quiz I took, I'm a  Ravenclaw with a dash of Slytherin.  Whatever that means.  So I have no idea if Gryffindor is good or bad, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Gryffindor is the "hero" house where Harry and his friends live. Maybe it's too cliche? (I dunno; I've read all the books and seen all the movies but I don't follow "the fandom" and sometimes see people mention obscure details and think "how/why do you remember that?") I think the quiz said I was a Hufflepuff.

• Love 5

I know this is a little thing to nitpick when there are so many more flaws (I.e pulling Mark out of the school instead of, I don’t know, focusing on why he turned to drugs as the best solution in the first place) but when Neville causally mentioned they were going to the ‘Michigan dunes’ to hike, I screamed.  I hate when writers lump all of the Midwest states together and are too lazy to actually consult a map.  The show has established that Lanford is an hour outside of Chicago.  Since they’ve mentioned going past Joliet before, it’s south of Chicago.  So taking a day trip to the Michigan dunes is at best with no traffic 2.5 hours one way.  It’s not a ‘let’s go for a mid-day hike’ kind of a trip.  If the show wants to establish local flavor they could of gone with Starved Rock State Park or even just said the forest preserves.  Plus it’s winter!  While the dunes are still open, they are on Lake Michigan.  Not the best time to be hiking on sand dunes!  Ugh.  Sorry for the stupid geographical inaccuracies rant.  It is just a pet peeve of mine.  😆

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, LBS said:

Sorry for the stupid geographical inaccuracies rant.  It is just a pet peeve of mine.  😆

lol...you'd be right at home in the This Is Us threads (if you're not already there). They have some odd ideas of how the East Coast is laid out.

9 minutes ago, LBS said:

I know this is a little thing to nitpick when there are so many more flaws (I.e pulling Mark out of the school instead of, I don’t know, focusing on why he turned to drugs as the best solution in the first place)

Yeah, your kid's having trouble at school and instead of setting up a meeting and actually talking to the school to see if there are resources for him there (which there probably are), you just decide to yank him back to public school without even having a conversation with him about it. Because that makes sense as a first step.

9 minutes ago, LBS said:

when Neville causally mentioned they were going to the ‘Michigan dunes’ to hike, 

Neville's kind of an idiot. He hired his ex and didn't tell his girlfriend the full truth about who she was to him, saw her unhinged reaction to learning that information, then says he'll check on her and when reminded by said ex that he was going hiking with her and her kid just off-handedly says "oh yeah, well I'll see you tomorrow instead" and heads out like it'll be nothing to his girlfriend, who he knows is insecure about his relationship with his ex.

I wonder how Mark will react to Logan moving "downstate" (I had to look at a map to see how close southern Illinois is to Oklahoma... I mean, it's closer, but does it really make that much of a difference when there's still a whole other state in between? Also not sure if they've said where in OK his dad lives). If they even remember that they were boyfriends, given how often Mark is simply absent from an episode when there's no specific storyline for him...

• Love 7

Darlene is such a defeatist.  Dan, too, for implying she should take him out of the school.  You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because of a setback!  What is that teaching Mark?  "You can't do it," that's what.  "You're not good enough, so don't even try anymore."  "One mistake and it's over."  "Don't bother seeking solutions, you're a failure."

Mark clearly has anxiety, and has for a long time.  Work on that.  If Darlene can pay for a therapist for herself, she can pay for one for Mark, too.  Does he really need to stay up all night studying, or does he just think he does?  What are his grades like?  If he isn't failing, then maybe managing his anxiety about his grades would do more than yanking him out of a good school.  She didn't even bother to ask about his actual performance.  She didn't bother to ask if he was actually learning anything, or if he liked his classes and teachers.  She didn't bother to speak with his teachers and get their perspective on how well or not he was doing.  She didn't even bother to tell Mark that smart kids can succeed even if they don't go to magnet schools.

• Love 15

Was watching saved by the bell, and the episode Jessie’s Song does a way better job dealing with pills than the conners writers do. And yes even though saved by bell is from the same era as original Roseanne. The writers for saved by the bell were able to make the episode a teaching moment with the teenage characters.

Also started watching the other ABC sitcom called Home Economics and I like it better than the conners. And because it has topher grace in it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Was watching saved by the bell, and the episode Jessie’s Song does a way better job dealing with pills than the conners writers do. And yes even though saved by bell is from the same era as original Roseanne. The writers for saved by the bell were able to make the episode a teaching moment with the teenage characters.

Also started watching the other ABC sitcom called Home Economics and I like it better than the conners. And because it has topher grace in it.

Family Ties did a much better job too. Of course it helped that Michael J. Fox is a much better actor than most on this show.

image.png.1bff12ecce7358a161a718e097326de3.png

• Love 12
On 1/12/2022 at 7:01 PM, greekmom said:

On 1/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, OLynn33 said:

Yes. I close my eyes.

YES! That sausage thing that's happening is so gross. And I like Goodman. A Lot. But this is just yikes.

• Love 9

I was really upset with Jackie trying to get the drugs and no mention of Rosanne but chilled a bit when Dan talked about it with regards to Mark's situation.  

I don't know if Darlene was wrong here.  If she'd noticed Mark was in trouble/behind earlier i think pulling him out of school/ would have been a more drastic choice.  But he's already sinking and feeling triggered into unhealthy behaviors and the time that it takes them to get him intervention is more time that he's falling behind and falling behind is fueling his anxiety.  I don't know what I'd do here.  But I'd certainly hope I noticed a problem before we got here.  

And we haven't seen the next three episodes so we don't know for certain that after a fresh nights sleep and going to talk to the admins at the school that they don't work out another solution before Mark is actually pulled from class.  I mean I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end of it, but it could be more coming.  

Harris, I think, i still in training at the tattoo parlour so her salary isn't going to be much.  Certainly enough to afford rent with a roommate situation but she's kind of a pain to live with and she might be thinking if she just waits it out a little while longer Aldo's situation will relax with his kids.  A lease is a long term commitment.  

I was a huge Harry Potter person and would have no problem dating a Harry Potter dweeb.  I'm in a Harry Potter themed virtual running club (among many other geeky running clubs) so when I tell you my level of Harry Potter geekery is a thing, I mean it is a thing. 

Quidditch is a sport that is actually played all over and its league encourages inclusion and diversity and is run by good people (who are contemplating changing the name from Quidditch (in the US)  because they want to divorce themselves from the TEERF) who promote good things.   And I personally find Quidditch to be an incredibly stupid game and would not play it and I absolutely would date somebody who played it but not if we had to like go to  his games and things.   

Does that make me a horrible person?  Maybe.  But I HATE IT!   I think it it was stupid.  I thought it was stupid when I read about it in the books.  And then to play it without being able to actually fly?   WHY!?!??    

You love Quidditch?  Great.  You want to play Quidditch?  Great.  But we're not hanging out on weekends.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Does that make me a horrible person?  Maybe.  But I HATE IT!   I think it it was stupid.  I thought it was stupid when I read about it in the books.  And then to play it without being able to actually fly?   WHY!?!??    

Not at all. Your perception was right on. It's stupid.

• Love 1

He! I always thought the scoring system completely off. But someone playing Quidditch IRL would not be a deal-breaker for me.

I liked the conversation between Dan and Darlene. As for how Darlene handled the crisis: I don't think that plot is yet resolved so I reserve final judgment. But I agree with @UYI: I wish they had given the whole thing more time to unfold.

Also: I'm a bit miffed that we never saw what Harris gave Mark. Their relationship outside Darlene's perimeter has hardly ever been shown. Jackie's menopause must have been a walk-in-the-park if she still hasn't noticed that things are changing.

• Love 9

Neville annoys me. I think it’s weird he was taking care of this kid that is his exes because a bad divorce. Like why would Neville be so involved in the kids life and why was he still acting like he’s the kids dad or something. It was stupid. Also not trying to be mean but I thought Neville and Jackie were around the same age.

Marks stuff was stupid too. Seemed like a bad after school special.

I wish they would write Harris off. She is a horrible actor.

Maybe Becky shouldn’t be so judgy about the Dr. She’s not exactly a catch.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Marley said:

Neville annoys me. I think it’s weird he was taking care of this kid that is his exes because a bad divorce. Like why would Neville be so involved in the kids life and why was ge still acting like he’s the kids dad or something. It was stupid. Also not trying to be mean but I thought Neville and Jackie were around the same age.

Marks stuff was stupid too. Seemed like a bad after school special.

I wish they would write Harris off. She is a horrible actor.

Maybe Becky shouldn’t be so judgy about the Dr. She’s not exactly a catch.

Yes, why the Hell would a non related stranger be taking care of this kid when he has a father? Is his father an oil rig worker?

Also, his mom is supposed to be such a mess but they have her show up looking and acting perfect just for the stupid plot point to make Jackie jealous. I understand she is in recovery but she acts much more together than Jackie.

As Becky said in the first season any man with a good job and all their teeth would be a good catch in Lanford. There were many other ways they could have gone with the stupid “Jackie gets jealous” storyline without adding the kid.

• Love 7
On 1/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, hurrrz said:

YES! That sausage thing that's happening is so gross. And I like Goodman. A Lot. But this is just yikes.

Same! I always look away during the gross intro. 

• Love 7

Happy Harris is  not homeless.  How sad that both Darlene’s kids don’t feel like they can go to her or feel like they don’t want her to be right and lord it over them. 
too bad Jackie can’t read here and see so many saying that they think her and her younger boyfriend look the same age.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Same! I always look away during the gross intro. 

Count me in that also looks away during the intro it really does need to be updated like now! What are they waiting for?? I don't get it. 

• Love 5

Eh, not a great nor bad episode.  Yeah I think Mark was hitting the height pills in addition to the ADHD pills, man, did he like jump up a foot at least??? wowzer. And my man, those button up sweaters are for old people like me, not young men.

The pill thing is interesting. Since high school I've taken caffeine pills to get up (early 50's now). It was good in that it did keep me away from sodas mostly and allowed me to function at school. So I was somewhat in Mark's mindset back then.  Today I laugh because I still take em, and I have to giggle at how much people spend on Starbucks (cough my entire family) for basically the same reason, to get going and because its what they were taught is "normal" adult behavior.  (The fact coffee smells give me an awful headache probably helped steer me this way as well.)  Besides cigarettes, I don't know any other industry that does so well at indoctrinating people at an early age to a lifelong behavior 'choice'. 

I do like seeing the Mark having problems drama as normal growing up problems, so kudos to writers wanting to tackle that. I wish I could figure what storyline Harris is going to go down, it seems stalled at the moment. Ditto Becky, she has become a one-liner deliverer.

Lol funny how we all dislike the opening.  I always skip thru it.  Instead of the table spin around, what would be better? They did the aging headshots thing already.  

• Love 5

Lol funny how we all dislike the opening.  I always skip thru it.  Instead of the table spin around, what would be better? They did the aging headshots thing already.  

They could still do the table spin but have them appear as they do now, add Louise and for the love of all that's holy, lose the frikkin' sausage.

• Love 9

Maybe they are waiting (to reshoot the opening)  to see if they get renewed for another season. Although, if they're going for 20 episodes like they did in Seasons 2 & 3, they really do need to do it soon. It's really cringey. 

I was just remarking last week that Mark seemed under-utilized. This was IMO a much improved (well, "much" may be pushing it, but....) episode since it centered around him. Wow, maybe we'll even get a DJ and/or Mary appearance. According to IMBD, they are in tomorrow's episode, without a "credit only" attached. Maybe they are just teasing me. 

I'm with the others here that thought that a"Dean's List" wasn't a high school thing. Honor Roll, yes. Dean's List is a college/university honor. Maybe it's different for magnet schools. Or...

On 1/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

Are the writers oblivious? Do they realize the addiction problem can/should be further analyzed?

Yes, yes they are. About a whole buncha things. Oblivious and lazy. 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

They could still do the table spin but have them appear as they do now, add Louise and for the love of all that's holy, lose the frikkin' sausage.

I agree with everything you've said. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, lostsock said:

Maybe they are waiting (to reshoot the opening)  to see if they get renewed for another season. 

That's very possible and I hope that's the case.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1