Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Whimsy

S01.E12: Jay’s Sister

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

They're already dead; it's not like they can get sick again.

They can smell, though.

  • Love 13
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m still enjoying this show. 
I agree with most about Nancy. At first I found her funny but after awhile I was thinking shut up already! Wouldn’t mind seeing her occasionally in the future ( in small doses)

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Something I missed on the first viewing: 

Sam: "Thor, lights!"

Thor: "Sam, chair!"

Quote

That house is enormous.  From the outdoor photos I would guess it has 12 to 20 bedrooms.

Definitely not 20. It's hard to tell from the exterior shots. The house has an L shape and it appears the bedrooms are all located on the second floor of the main wing (where the front door and entry hall are). Judging by the fireplace chimneys, there appear to be seven bedrooms facing the front yard. Assuming the other side of the hall is the same that would be 14 total. But it's possibly fewer.

Quote

I've figured out how Jay could see the ghosts.

I think I prefer that he can't, it's funnier that way. The visual of him trying to go through Trevor was one of the funniest parts of this episode.

  • Love 13
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, AngieBee1 said:

What I found funny about that was that Utkarsh played Punam Patel's best friend/friends with benefits in season two of Netflix's SPECIAL.

I found it a little uncomfortable watching these actors who played lovers playing brother and sister. It wasn't as bad as if, say, someone cast Courtney Cox and David Schwimmer as a married couple...but it was the same kind of principle.

Anyway, this is the first we've heard of living people being able to hear Alberta singing, or of Pete having x-ray vision, right?

If I were Trevor, I'd be pissed that I had to go through the effort of writing those messages on the mirror, when all Alberta had to do was sing a message to Jay.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think they can hear Alberta singing, just humming.  I feel like that was mentioned early on, but I could be hallucinating.

  • Love 14
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I found it a little uncomfortable watching these actors who played lovers playing brother and sister. It wasn't as bad as if, say, someone cast Courtney Cox and David Schwimmer as a married couple...but it was the same kind of principle.

Anyway, this is the first we've heard of living people being able to hear Alberta singing, or of Pete having x-ray vision, right?

If I were Trevor, I'd be pissed that I had to go through the effort of writing those messages on the mirror, when all Alberta had to do was sing a message to Jay.

I think it was noted in the first (maybe second?) episode that livings could hear Alberta's ghostly singing.  I don't think it was actually words, just tones.  That was her "skill", like Thor with electricity/lights and Trevor with being able to (barely) touch things.  I didn't catch anything about Pete having x-ray vision.  Was that in reference to telling Jay's sister what was in her bag?  I just thought the bag was open enough that the ghosts could see into it.

  • Love 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I didn't catch anything about Pete having x-ray vision.  Was that in reference to telling Jay's sister what was in her bag?  I just thought the bag was open enough that the ghosts could see into it.

Oh! That makes sense! I thought it was X-ray vision too, rather than Pete just looking in her open bag.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought he poked his head into it.  Like through it, not just into an open bag.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 16
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Browncoat said:

I thought he poked his head into it.

Yes, upon rewatch, he poked his head in. I guess any of the ghosts can do that, and Sam called on Pete to do it because he was right there.

In that case, any of the ghosts can see any human naked if they want to, just by looking through their clothes. Creepy.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I think it was noted in the first (maybe second?) episode that livings could hear Alberta's ghostly singing.  I don't think it was actually words, just tones. 

Yes, it was either the first or second episode, before Sam could see them. The ghosts were trying to scare Sam and Jay out of the house, and Alberta did her humming thing but Jay was blasting the stereo so neither could hear her.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:
On 1/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, AngieBee1 said:

What I found funny about that was that Utkarsh played Punam Patel's best friend/friends with benefits in season two of Netflix's SPECIAL.

I found it a little uncomfortable watching these actors who played lovers playing brother and sister. It wasn't as bad as if, say, someone cast Courtney Cox and David Schwimmer as a married couple...but it was the same kind of principle.

Eh, they're just actors playing roles.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

I find it weird when one or two of the ghosts is missing from the episode - and nobody mentions them. I gather that the plan is for all of the ghosts to be in each episode but was this originally a Covid thing or an actual artistic choice?

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, LisaM said:

I find it weird when one or two of the ghosts is missing from the episode - and nobody mentions them. I gather that the plan is for all of the ghosts to be in each episode but was this originally a Covid thing or an actual artistic choice?

Or maybe it was a budget issue? And now that the show is successful, they have more money for actors to appear.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LisaM said:

I find it weird when one or two of the ghosts is missing from the episode - and nobody mentions them. I gather that the plan is for all of the ghosts to be in each episode but was this originally a Covid thing or an actual artistic choice?

It doesn't bother me that all the ghosts are not there in every episode.
I'm often assuming Covid is the reason for odd character absences these days, but this show's episodes seem pretty smoothly written, so I'm less inclined to think that's the reason in this case.
I'm guessing having a large cast of part time ghosts was always the plan?
Perhaps because they can get better actors by giving them enough time to work on other projects?

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Eh, they're just actors playing roles.

I am aware of that!

But we all carry around a certain amount of mental associations between actors and roles they've played. No one is immune to it.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

The B story with the ghosts giving up the room was a plot line that should never have made it onto the screen as long as the show insists on the "missing ghost (s) of the week". You cant do a story about giving up a room when Sas and the Hippie chick are missing. It just didn't work. Also yes in a house that size I can't believe there weren't more spare non-moldy bedrooms!

LOL of the week: "What is this personal massager?"

Side note I LOVED the gorgeous overhead shot of the house and what I hope is the real Hudson River valley beyond (I  live just north of there and its beautiful). Hopefully it wasn't something shot in California and they took the time to come here for the exteriors.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Side note I LOVED the gorgeous overhead shot of the house and what I hope is the real Hudson River valley beyond (I  live just north of there and its beautiful). Hopefully it wasn't something shot in California and they took the time to come here for the exteriors.

Sorry, but neither. It's not even a real house, it's an amalgamation of a real house (in California) and CGI:

https://hookedonhouses.net/2022/01/06/haunted-house-ghosts-sitcom/

  • Love 5
  • Useful 8

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, North of Eden said:

The B story with the ghosts giving up the room was a plot line that should never have made it onto the screen as long as the show insists on the "missing ghost (s) of the week". You cant do a story about giving up a room when Sas and the Hippie chick are missing. It just didn't work. Also yes in a house that size I can't believe there weren't more spare non-moldy bedrooms!

I do think it's weird that literally not once has anyone mentioned a ghost who didn't appear in that episode. For some storylines, it's not really necessary. But for others, there are big things happening and it seems strange to not throw in a line about how [insert ghost] is really missing out. And yeah, this one in particular seemed weird in that regard (though I'll admit that I generally completely forget about Flower when she's not around).

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nancy (?) can stay in the cholera cellar. Her crap got old real quick and her voice reminded me of Cam’s sister in Modern Family (who might be the most annoying character ever).

It doesn’t really bother me when some of the ghosts are missing, if anything I think it makes it more realistic and all of them competing for the 20 minutes of screen time would get too much.

  • Love 7
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

They should have used the Knives Out house.  

I think the issue is that the manor is supposed to look old and run-down, so a real one that looked liked that would be hard to find and impractical as a shooting location. They use a real house when they shoot exteriors in closeups and medium shots because they only have to dress a small part of it, and when they need a wider shot of the whole house the fill it it with CGI.

Quote

The B story with the ghosts giving up the room was a plot line that should never have made it onto the screen as long as the show insists on the "missing ghost (s) of the week". You cant do a story about giving up a room when Sas and the Hippie chick are missing. It just didn't work. Also yes in a house that size I can't believe there weren't more spare non-moldy bedrooms!

It did seem odd that neither Flower nor Sass were there to vote on the rooms, but they could have easily hand-waved this with a simple line of dialogue and just didn't bother. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think the issue is that the manor is supposed to look old and run-down, so a real one that looked liked that would be hard to find and impractical as a shooting location. They use a real house when they shoot exteriors in closeups and medium shots because they only have to dress a small part of it, and when they need a wider shot of the whole house the fill it it with CGI.

I know, I just love that Knives Out house so much!

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Nancy (?) can stay in the cholera cellar. Her crap got old real quick and her voice reminded me of Cam’s sister in Modern Family (who might be the most annoying character ever).

It doesn’t really bother me when some of the ghosts are missing, if anything I think it makes it more realistic and all of them competing for the 20 minutes of screen time would get too much.

No...having missing ghosts when your storyline is one of them MUST give up a room doesn't work without Sas and Flower. Everyone of them had a stake in it and it was ridiculous  to float this plot without everyone.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

No...having missing ghosts when your storyline is one of them MUST give up a room doesn't work without Sas and Flower. Everyone of them had a stake in it and it was ridiculous  to float this plot without everyone.

Were Sass and Flower the only ones missing? I can imagine either one of them preferring to sleep under the stars anyway. 
Yes. I used to do that.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Were Sass and Flower the only ones missing? 

The headless ghost, but we haven't seen him since Episode 4. I think maybe the show has decided to drop the character.

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/16/2022 at 11:50 AM, iMonrey said:

Definitely not 20. It's hard to tell from the exterior shots. The house has an L shape and it appears the bedrooms are all located on the second floor of the main wing (where the front door and entry hall are). Judging by the fireplace chimneys, there appear to be seven bedrooms facing the front yard. Assuming the other side of the hall is the same that would be 14 total. But it's possibly fewer.

I wonder if there are servants’ quarters somewhere?  Also, are there ensuite bathrooms? I have never stayed at a B&B, so I have no idea what is expected.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ajsnaves said:

I wonder if there are servants’ quarters somewhere?  Also, are there ensuite bathrooms? I have never stayed at a B&B, so I have no idea what is expected.

Maybe next season Sam and Jay can get fixer-upper funding by being featured on an HGTV show. Then the bedrooms will get en suite bathrooms.
It could be fun to have the ghosts haunt the crew of the show.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not terribly fond of Chip and Joanna Gaines, so I wouldn't mind if Isaac walked through them over and over while Thorfin zapped them.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm not terribly fond of Chip and Joanna Gaines, so I wouldn't mind if Isaac walked through them over and over while Thorfin zapped them.

My God, are there enough big clocks for Joanna to put in the house?

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm not terribly fond of Chip and Joanna Gaines, so I wouldn't mind if Isaac walked through them over and over while Thorfin zapped them.

Maybe the home reno characters could be named Block and Jenny Losses or some more imaginative derivatively punny names.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2022 at 2:59 PM, ajsnaves said:

I wonder if there are servants’ quarters somewhere?  Also, are there ensuite bathrooms? I have never stayed at a B&B, so I have no idea what is expected.

There are various levels of B&Bs.  I've stayed at some with ensuite bathrooms but not very often because they tend to be more expensive.  Usually there are at least a few rooms which share a bathroom.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think it's a big deal if all the ghosts aren't present, even when making a decision.  It's like at work.  If you didn't come in that day, you don't get a vote.  It was to use a room for one night.  No big deal.  Although, they could have said, "Use Flower's room.  She's wandered off somewhere."  But maybe they have an unspoken rule:  don't mess with my stuff when I'm not around, and I won't mess with yours.

There have been some comments about seeing Trevor's caring side (or whatever), but it's been shown a lot of times.  I specifically remember at the end of the episode about Alberta when she was so happy being validated about being poisoned (something like that) and the looks he gave her showed how happy he was for her.  He cared that she was so happy.  Looking at characters when they aren't the focus of attention can be so telling if the actor stays in character and I think these actors do a good job of this.

 

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

The actor playing Trevor is particularly good at this.  Or maybe it is just that his and Pete's characters allows for broader expressiveness.  Sass is sarcastic, so he's mainly smirky, Thorfin is stoic, Hetty is hampered by coming from a straight-laced era but she does morally horrified or snarkily superior very well, and Flower is just sort of spacy.

The one example from Trevor that made me start watching the background reactions with greater attention was several episodes ago.  Hetty mentioned something about being known for her "comely" ankles, then we see Trevor's face leaning into the shot, clearly ogling and leering down towards her feet.   But it wasn't just standard skeevy horndogness, there was a bright curiosity to it, like "Oooooh, let me see!" There was an element of learning something new about a long term companion in there.  

These characters have layers, yo.

 

 

  • Love 17

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Jay trying to attack Trevor was hilarious. Nancy was great pointing out the group's flaws to Pete. I loved that Sam trusted Bela with her secret and the ghosts were willing to help her. I wonder if we'll meet Trevor's family next year? He's the only ghost young enough to have outlive his parents. I would also like to meet Jay's parents too.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

The thing that bothered me about Jay's sister and Trevor "sexting" is that they've shown how difficult it is for Trevor to manipulate physical things. Did she wait 10 minutes for a response after she sent something "hot" to him?

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

The thing that bothered me about Jay's sister and Trevor "sexting" is that they've shown how difficult it is for Trevor to manipulate physical things. Did she wait 10 minutes for a response after she sent something "hot" to him?

I thought the same thing! 😆”O…..h…..b….a….b….y….”

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The thing that bothered me about Jay's sister and Trevor "sexting" is that they've shown how difficult it is for Trevor to manipulate physical things. Did she wait 10 minutes for a response after she sent something "hot" to him?

Just send an Emoji, a picture is worth a thousand words. That picture you sent me was 3 Eggplants and a Fire Emoji.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Just send an Emoji, a picture is worth a thousand words. That picture you sent me was 3 Eggplants and a Fire Emoji.

Yes, and we were deprived of a few laughs by having Trevor saying something like: Thank goodness for those Anime hieroglyphics! 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/13/2022 at 5:18 AM, AnimeMania said:

Just send an Emoji, a picture is worth a thousand words. That picture you sent me was 3 Eggplants and a Fire Emoji.

 

On 3/13/2022 at 5:26 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes, and we were deprived of a few laughs by having Trevor saying something like: Thank goodness for those Anime hieroglyphics! 

Would Trevor have even known what certain emojis stand for? 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

 

Would Trevor have even known what certain emojis stand for? 

They do watch a lot of television. Texting is a thing characters do and talk about. Emoji language is shown and explained. He knew about tablets and apps. I think he’d get it.

But they were communicating far more deeply than jokey emoji strings. It’s true that it would take too long for Trevor to realistically accomplish.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, KarenX said:

But they were communicating far more deeply than jokey emoji strings. It’s true that it would take too long for Trevor to realistically accomplish.

Hey, the man was motivated! Sad in the end that Trevor states he thought he had all the time in the world to find his one true love but his time was up before he could. He truly seemed to want a meaningful relationship and of course, nudes! 🤣

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size