Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Jay’s Sister

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Imagine thinking that you were sexting with your brother. Ewwww.  I liked that Nancy didn't rat Pete out.  And I'm wondering if they are going to get a romance going with Pete and Alberta.  She was defending him pretty hard.

But, why do ghosts need to sleep?  And they don't have actual bodies, why/how would they get stiff from sleeping on the floor?

And i thought it was hilarious when Jay was trying to run through Trevor and Sam just told him that he did.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 24

Imagine thinking that you were sexting with your brother.

What I found funny about that was that Utkarsh played Punam Patel's best friend/friends with benefits in season two of Netflix's SPECIAL.

I don't miss Flower at all when she's not around. I get wanting to have the same number of ghosts as the original series but the original stars (for the most part) the same people who created and writes for it so it was easy to make sure they were well utilized. This show struggles with finding things for all the ghosts to do.

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else tear up at the end?
I am so glad in the middle of this 2nd year of the Pandemic, and in the middle of a  Severe Winter Weather Alert, that I have a show I flove.

Same on all of this :).

I really appreciate that Sam was ultimately just straight up honest with Bela about her abilities, the way she was when she first told Jay. It's so nice to see her not struggling with this ability alone, that she's got a couple people she can confide in about this. And I like how Bela reacted, too - great casting for Jay's sister, I can totally buy these two being related. Similar goofy sense of humor and fun way of talking, both very energetic, outgoing sorts :D. And it was sweet to see Jay so protective and concerned about Bela's state of mind given she'd just broken up with her boyfriend, and not wanting to see her get hurt any further. 

I also liked Sam wanting to develop a closer bond with Bela, and that this, ironically, wound up bringing them a little closer. Maybe someday they can have their movie night, that'd be nice. 

I also like when we get to see a more sensitive, softer side of Trevor. There's something really sad about that photo in his obituary being the only one of him that's on the internet - granted, people sharing photos online was still a pretty new thing in the '90s, but still. I wonder if we'll get a story at some point about some woman he'd once known that was the one who got away, so to speak. Given how some of the other ghosts have managed to find love so far, or are (slowly) working towards such a thing (hi, Pete and Alberta!), perhaps that can give Trevor some hope that he'll find someone in the afterlife for him, too, eventually. 

As for everything with Pete, I liked seeing him trying to learn to be more assertive and stand up for himself, with Nancy's help. I liked his comment about having it "up to his arrow" with everyone's antics :p. I can definitely see where his general demeanor helps balance out everyone else and their wackiness, but it is good to see him learning to speak up more when needed, too. Maybe that'll eventually give him the confidence he needs to tell Alberta how he feels about her. 

• Love 18
On 1/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, AngieBee1 said:

What I found funny about that was that Utkarsh played Punam Patel's best friend/friends with benefits in season two of Netflix's SPECIAL.

Yup!

It's going to be some bed & breakfast with only one room available, and it's the drafty, leaky, moldy one.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Given how some of the other ghosts have managed to find love so far, or are (slowly) working towards such a thing (hi, Pete and Alberta!)

And Isaac and Nigel!

Hey Trevor had a dog in his obit pic so he can't be all bad.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14
21 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I also like when we get to see a more sensitive, softer side of Trevor. There's something really sad about that photo in his obituary being the only one of him that's on the internet - granted, people sharing photos online was still a pretty new thing in the '90s, but still. I wonder if we'll get a story at some point about some woman he'd once known that was the one who got away, so to speak. Given how some of the other ghosts have managed to find love so far, or are (slowly) working towards such a thing (hi, Pete and Alberta!), perhaps that can give Trevor some hope that he'll find someone in the afterlife for him, too, eventually. 

It would be too dark for our little show if Jay's sister died while visiting and wound up getting together with Trevor in the Ghost Life.
Right?
Too dark?
Or not?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
45 minutes ago, greekmom said:

So glad Nancy is gone.  The actress is funny but only in small doses. After that she grates on my nerves.

I agree—–at least for this character. But is Thorfinn interested in her now? If so: Ick. But I guess her repulsiveness is supposed to be funny. I watched a few episodes of the British version and found a lot of it to be irritating in the same way I dislike the character of Nancy. Too OTT with gross-out humor and too much yelling.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Starchild said:

Hey Trevor had a dog in his obit pic so he can't be all bad.

What's funny is that the pic is actually a real life pic of the actor and his dog.

Even though this episode wasn't my favorite, I still loved it. This is just such a wonderful little show and I look forward to it every week. 

I love how even showing his softer and more sensitive side with Bela, Trevor still got in a compliment about her boobs, heh. I wish Sam had said that part, I feel like Bela actually would have appreciated it. 

Jay flailing around the room trying to walk through Trevor was hysterical. 

And I feel like we learned a lot about Sam and why she is the way she is sometimes. Only child, mom died early, she really wants to connect emotionally with people who don't necessarily feel close to her. I loved that she only finally connected with Bela when she told her the truth about the ghosts.

And I don't know why, but in the scene where Pete is telling Sam what Bela has in her bag, Thor asking "what is personal massager?" laid me out. I had to hit pause to catch my breath. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

So glad Nancy is gone.  The actress is funny but only in small doses. After that she grates on my nerves.

Ditto. She seems to be typecast into very similar roles every time. Only so much.

50 minutes ago, emma675 said:

What's funny is that the pic is actually a real life pic of the actor and his dog.

Oh, that is great! I'm still laughing at that one.

I love this show. I just do. 🥰

• Love 14
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I know the actor/character is suppose to be good looking, but the picture was the first time I realized it's true. Love that it's a real picture and not posed for the show.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am so glad in the middle of this 2nd year of the Pandemic, and in the middle of a  Severe Winter Weather Alert, that I have a show I flove.

I flove that you flove this show.  😁

I just loved all the flashbacks with Trevor figuring out how to set up a dating profile.  And Jay's password, that he's been using since Jr. High school - that was great! 

I thought we'd get Trevor's backstory in this episode.  It just seemed odd that Bela didn't ask how he died, or at least why he doesn't wear pants (since Jay blurted that out). 

I flove this show, too.  🙂

• Love 16
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, why do ghosts need to sleep?  And they don't have actual bodies, why/how would they get stiff from sleeping on the floor?

What,  you didn't get the ghost manual?  Oh, wait, nobody did!  Good question, though.

11 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I don't miss Flower at all when she's not around.

No Sasappis this time either, right?  I thought I read somewhere that we'd be seeing all the ghosts in every episode (going forward, from the point the article/interview/whatever happened).  Did I imagine that?

ETA:  Here's what I was thinking of:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/122543-ghostly-media-talk/?do=findComment&comment=7181794

Not sure if that link will take you to the right place in the Media thread, but it includes this:

Anything on the back half of Ghosts? –Connor
Let’s see what I can scare up, shall we? Among the tidbits from a recent CBS panel for the show: We will learn what happened to Trevor’s pants; Sam and Jay will open their B&B by the end of the season; Pete and Jay will become basketball-watching buddies; an upcoming episode will delve into Sasappis’ backstory and feature Román Zaragoza’s real-life dad as Sas’ father. Also in the back half of the season, every ghost will appear in every episode, so you can stop asking, “Hey, Where’s [Insert Missing Ghost]?”

Maybe we're not in the back half of the season yet?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5

Awww, it was sweet getting some of Trevor's softer side and that he really did like Jay's sister. Of course, he also would really like some nudes, but from what we saw of Bela she might be into that, she and Trevor really are perfect for each other. Except for him being dead for twenty years. I am glad that Sam decided to tell Bela the truth and that they ended up bonding over it, from the bits we have of Sam's backstory she seems like a person who really wants connections with people, only child, mom was really critical then died when she was still pretty young, no mention of a dad that I recall, so her getting to see ghosts has been a weird blessing. That's really cool that the picture was actually the actor with his real dog. See, Trevor cant be such a bad guy, he had a dog! 

It really is impressive how they can go back and fourth from comedy to sincerity, especially with the plights of the ghosts, so well. 

Nancy was funny for a few episodes, but I am glad she's gone, she's clearly a good character best in small doses. Glad that Pete stood up for himself, and is it possible that they are actually going there with Pete and Roberta? She was sure standing up for him with the other ghosts. 

The flashbacks to Trevor figuring out how to make a dating profile was hilarious, and then Jay being unable to get over how hot Trevor is/was and how flattered Trevor was. Oh Jay, 1234? Really? I hope that we see Bela again, I liked her a lot, I can totally buy her being Jay's sister, they have very similar energies. 

"My sisters all died before they were two." "Damn Isaac, before we've smelled our morning coffee?" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10

It was nice to have a Trevor-centric episode, and to meet Jay's sister too. When she started texting him and you could hear the chiming in the next room I was like "oh shit!" I mean, it was an obvious conclusion for her to jump to, but I was really thankful Sam just went ahead and told her Trevor was a ghost. I thought it would actually be easy enough to prove, because Trevor can move things, so it was kind of interesting she used Thor, Alberta and Isaac instead. I totally thought of that "how many fingers" thing though. 

Love that Jay's passcode is 1234. There are so many little touches that make me laugh. It's all in the details. 

I guess I'm in the minority but I liked Nancy, I hope we see her again. I thought she was funny and she helped Pete learn to assert himself (and she's right - why can't the massage train be a circle?). She turned out to be a good egg in the end. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 19
14 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

from what we saw of Bela she might be into that, she and Trevor really are perfect for each other. Except for him being dead for twenty years.

...and this is why we love this show...

Also: Trevor is smart and motivated as hell. I bet he was a successful financial douchebro. He's the only one who has managed to communicate directly with Jay. If Flower had been there, they could have had her walk through Bela, who would probably have enjoyed tripping balls.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 9

You know....for such a horndog, Trevor does have some scruples.  If he wanted to see Bela's boobs, all he had to do was hang out in her room while she was changing, or in the bathroom while she was bathing.  Hell, he really could have had his own XXX show if she chose to use her personal massager.  But he didn't.  Trevor's more talk than action.  Maybe when we learn why he died without his pants on, we'll find out it isn't any sort of raunchy reason at all, but some sort of heart warming reason.  We'll see!

• Love 18

I didn't like Nancy at first but I warmed up to her by the end. It's hilarious how she talk in modern slang even though she's been stuck in the basement with no TV to learn all that. At least Sep was upstairs observing the house residents throughout the centuries.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I liked Nancy, I hope we see her again. I thought she was funny and she helped Pete learn to assert himself (and she's right - why can't the massage train be a circle?). She turned out to be a good egg in the end. 

I liked her, but I definitely think she's a character best used in small doses.  Wouldn't mind seeing her again, though.  And yes, she's totally right about the massage train.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It's hilarious how she talk in modern slang even though she's been stuck in the basement with no TV to learn all that.

I'm going with odd acoustics in a old house and the furnace ducting.  In fact, that could work into a funny plot point where the cholera pit ghosts know everything going on in the house despite never leaving the basement through assessment of water usage, drain content, electrical usage, and thermostat settings and eavesdropping on conversations via the ducting.

I can see this as being funnier once the B&B gets up and running.  "Ooooh, Mrs. Smythe-Jones is back....I do so love the scent of her bath salts."  or "Oh man, the guest in the corner room needs to see an gastro doc.  Whew....maybe he'll join us down here?"  or "Uh-oh, the couple in the honeymoon suite is in trouble....we should tell Sam to send up champagne to make this argument more interesting!"

• LOL 9
  • Love 9

That house is enormous.  From the outdoor photos I would guess it has 12 to 20 bedrooms. So why are there only 6-8 or so?  And where do Sam & Jay plan to put their B&B guests if the ghosts refuse to move?  There should be at least an occasional line about this.

• Love 8

Trevor really learned to use his power. I guess he really was looking for a connection with pictures since thats all he get from that. Of course now he knows what sexting is. 

I agree Nancy is okay in small doses. I did like she was proud of Pete for standing up to her. And it looks like Alberta is starting to see him too. 

I liked Jay's sister hope she comes back since she knows about Sam's powers. 

I really love that show that has such a large cast does focus on making the characters feel real. They have flaws and strengths and we get to seem them in most episodes. 

Maybe they should make a haunted B&B that way people would pay to share a room with a ghost. Lol. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I agree—–at least for this character. But is Thorfinn interested in her now? If so: Ick. But I guess her repulsiveness is supposed to be funny. I watched a few episodes of the British version and found a lot of it to be irritating in the same way I dislike the character of Nancy. Too OTT with gross-out humor and too much yelling.

They’ve all cut their teeth on the stage (projection is everything) and many will exaggerate movement and voice. I agree with both of you. As I’m not too familiar with the actress, she just reminds me of Rosie O’Donnell playing an adult with Down’s in a movie of the week. 
So many hilarious lines in this episode. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Maybe they should make a haunted B&B that way people would pay to share a room with a ghost. Lol. 

Maybe Jay's sister could suggest the haunted B&B theme and get more involved.
She wouldn't need to be in every episode, and could mostly just do FaceTime.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Driad said:

That house is enormous.  From the outdoor photos I would guess it has 12 to 20 bedrooms. So why are there only 6-8 or so?  And where do Sam & Jay plan to put their B&B guests if the ghosts refuse to move?  There should be at least an occasional line about this.

I’m thinking the rooms they intend to let are currently in similar state to the closer, damp room with mold or are being used for storage of reno materials. You see, if they have no structural issues or leakage, they’re safe to store materials, if they do, you wouldn’t put a bed or a person there. 

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Daff said:

I’m thinking the rooms they intend to let are currently in similar state to the closer, damp room with mold or are being used for storage of reno materials.

Thank you, that is quite possible.  I do wish the writers had included a line about the other rooms.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

If the ghosts want to sleep with the guests that's their business.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

And I don't know why, but in the scene where Pete is telling Sam what Bela has in her bag, Thor asking "what is personal massager?" laid me out. I had to hit pause to catch my breath. 

On a related note, I got a kick out of Pete's confusion over Nancy constantly referring to his shoulders as "man parts" :D. 

Jay's reaction to learning his sister had that personal massager in her bag was good, too. Poor Jay :p. 

7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I know the actor/character is suppose to be good looking, but the picture was the first time I realized it's true. Love that it's a real picture and not posed for the show.

I loved how Jay was so enthusiastic in his compliments about Trevor's looks :D! 

6 hours ago, chaifan said:

It just seemed odd that Bela didn't ask how he died, or at least why he doesn't wear pants (since Jay blurted that out). 

"And he doesn't wear pants. Which doesn't seem very relevant, but I have to know this information, and so do you." :p. 

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

"My sisters all died before they were two." "Damn Isaac, before we've smelled our morning coffee?" 

That's another thing I like about this show, their penchant for dark humor. 

• Love 14

Cute episode. I really like how they're fleshing out (ha) the characters. Trevor could easily be such a one-note guy, but they've really given him some depth. 

Pete is such an absolute MVP. I love that he stood up to Nancy and the group, and that he's starting to get more respect. I did laugh at Hetty saying his being a pushover was the glue that held the group together, ha. What did they all do before he arrived?

Alberta was definitely looking at him with some newfound respect.

I can't look at the basement crew without being pretty grossed out, so the costuming is on point. Nancy did crack me up, but I agree with others that she'll best be used in small doses.

I loved Sam and Bela bonding, and that there wasn't any inherent conflict between them. Just having them just not be super close was realistic. But I'm glad Sam told her about the ghosts, and that she could back it up with the ghosts help.

Trevor and Bela were such a great match. Aww.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 15
13 hours ago, Driad said:

12 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m thinking the rooms they intend to let are currently in similar state to the closer, damp room with mold or are being used for storage of reno materials. You see, if they have no structural issues or leakage, they’re safe to store materials, if they do, you wouldn’t put a bed or a person there. 

Where are they getting the money to do all that renovating? A B&B will need not only rooms that aren't moldy and leaky, but also nice furniture in every room. I guess that prolonging the renovations keeps the show stable as they develop the characters, but if they ever do actually start having guests, that will really be a change. I guess it could keep the show going for a long time, if they have a mix of stable residents and ever-changing guests. So far the guests (Jay's sister, the wedding planner, the troublesome neighbors, Alberta's fan) have not been too much. I guess I can see them going on like this for a long time, just drawing out the process of getting the place ready for business, and only shifting gears to a more busy B&B when they're running low in story inspiration from just the resident crew.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Where are they getting the money to do all that renovating? A B&B will need not only rooms that aren't moldy and leaky, but also nice furniture in every room. I guess that prolonging the renovations keeps the show stable as they develop the characters, but if they ever do actually start having guests, that will really be a change. I guess it could keep the show going for a long time, if they have a mix of stable residents and ever-changing guests. So far the guests (Jay's sister, the wedding planner, the troublesome neighbors, Alberta's fan) have not been too much. I guess I can see them going on like this for a long time, just drawing out the process of getting the place ready for business, and only shifting gears to a more busy B&B when they're running low in story inspiration from just the resident crew.

Maybe they'll get some sort of grant to restore it based on its historical significance?
I don't know how that would work.
I would prefer it being a grant to provide affordable housing, but that would be another, less enjoyable show.

• Love 4

You know....for such a horndog, Trevor does have some scruples.  If he wanted to see Bela's boobs, all he had to do was hang out in her room while she was changing, or in the bathroom while she was bathing. 

We don't actually know he didn't do that. But I agree this episode tried to give Trevor a bit more depth. 

Where are they getting the money to do all that renovating?

In the second episode when Jay finally capitulated to the B&B idea, he said he maxed out their credit cards and maybe took out a loan or else cashed something else in. In other words he took every last cent they had to pay for the workers. 

Spoiler

In the UK version they also rent out the house for weddings and historical films for extra money. They could potentially do that here.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would prefer it being a grant to provide affordable housing, but that would be another, less enjoyable show.

Actually I think that could have a lot of potential. Ghosts + permanent residents could be fun. 

But in my experience, affordable housing grants rarely site anyone in a scenic environment. They like to cluster people in population hubs, near jobs and transit. The property is too expensive, too-- they'd never let that piece of land go to the proletariat.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

Actually I think that could have a lot of potential. Ghosts + permanent residents could be fun. 

But in my experience, affordable housing grants rarely site anyone in a scenic environment. They like to cluster people in population hubs, near jobs and transit. The property is too expensive, too-- they'd never let that piece of land go to the proletariat.

Maybe all the WFH (Work From Home) businesses could trigger an affordable housing grant to owners who agree to fill X number of units with WFH small businesses or employees.
But I don't see that working on this show because it's too complicated and would take up too much of the 20 minutes of dialog per episode to explain and then remind viewers why these people are there. That would have to be an entirely different show. Right?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Don't forget that they held a big wedding there as a result of impressing the high-end wedding planner a couple of episodes ago, so they may already be using the site for weddings and other events.

The big wedding that you are referring to is supposed to occur in the next episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In the second episode when Jay finally capitulated to the B&B idea, he said he maxed out their credit cards and maybe took out a loan or else cashed something else in. In other words he took every last cent they had to pay for the workers. 

I think he said they also maxed out his 401K, which his dad was totally against, so I bet they are probably in a lot of debt. I wonder if season 2 will be after the B&B opens and we finally start seeing guests? They shoot in Montreal so I don't know if Covid rules have restricted how many people they can have on set or not.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I count 10-11 bedrooms depending if Crash has his own. Sam/Jay, Thorfinn, Suss, Isaac, Hetty, Alberta, Flower, Pete, Trevor, and the moldy spare room. Crash would make 11. I’m curious how the show is going to work with them sharing rooms with guests when they have more than 1.

• Useful 4
On 1/13/2022 at 10:00 PM, Katy M said:

For that matter, why do they care if the room has mold in it? They're already dead; it's not like they can get sick again.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, greekmom said:

I don't even think the actress is funny. I hate characters like that -- loud and obnoxious and taking advantage of people too nice to say no to them.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, Snow Apple said:

I thought the same thing! I knew he was the "handsome one," but for some reason, seeing his headshot really made it hit home. 

• Love 7

I've figured out how Jay could see the ghosts. He gets the flu, and in a fevered state with Sam and the gang looking on, he starts to respond to them and they realize his altered mental state due to a high fever is allowing him to open his mind. They told us kids can sometimes see them, so Jay would have that 'veil' lifted from his brain. 

I would even accept that Jay winds up with some kind of slight but lasting damage where he couldn't see the ghosts, but he could continue to hear them. So they could at least talk to him even if he can't see them. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 9