Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Ontreon's Journey

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Boston said:

Make sure you get the ones pre-made.. all the preservatives and stuff.  I gain weight just looking at them.  HAVE FUN!

I had Pillsbury Grands. They weren't as good as I remember (my mom got the small ones for Christmas and they were kind of disappointing, too).

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Boston said:

the ones I bought for my mother were PRE-MADE.. right in the plastic sticky!  No baking.

image.png

Now you have me looking up cinnamon rolls on the Wegmans website.

Enabler.

• LOL 11
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Now you have me looking up cinnamon rolls on the Wegmans website.

Enabler.

I'm screaming laughing.. Nice you have Wegmans near you.  I don't.. probably best if i don't.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Boston said:

I'm screaming laughing.. Nice you have Wegmans near you.  I don't.. probably best if i don't.

It's nice...and it's in the same shopping center as Target which is convenient. One stop for most of my basic needs. Though there are some brands they no longer carry; sometimes it seems like they're going in the direction of only selling their own brands, on some items, at least.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

It's nice...and it's in the same shopping center as Target which is convenient. One stop for most of my basic needs. Though there are some brands they no longer carry; sometimes it seems like they're going in the direction of only selling their own brands, on some items, at least.

I live on the border of NH... Market Basket is the place for saving money (before the inflation).  We have Hannaford's too but it is unbelievably expensive (always has been).  

• Love 2
Just now, Boston said:

I live on the border of NH... Market Basket is the place for saving money (before the inflation).  We have Hannaford's too but it is unbelievably expensive (always has been).  

We don't have those... I have ShopRite practically around the corner from me but it always feels more cramped and crowded (even pre-pandemic but especially now) so I don't go there that often (work gives us a gift card every year for Thanksgiving, though, so I was there last week to spend it). Wegmans is also easier on my way home from work, which is when I try to do my shopping so I can save trips.)

Now I want to see a poundicipant attempt a grocery run at ShopRite.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Boston said:

Aldi's is a good option, they are cheap and they have really expanded their offerings.  Not sure if you have one near you, there are a few in Massachusetts.  There is a newly opened big one near my Mom's house that I visited over the holidays and I was really impressed.  Way better than what I remembered from several years ago.  I have also found ethnic groceries to be surprisingly good on occasion.  Chantrelle mushrooms were $17/pound and you could bag your own from the big box at the local Russian store vs. $15/quarter pound pre-packaged boxes at Wegmans!  Most of the produce in that store was a lot cheaper than regular grocery stores, and good quality, too.  I only used to buy candy and farm cheese from that store, now I stop by whenever I am out that way (about 20 mins from my house, so not a regular grocery shopping trip, unfortunately).  The Asian store in my Mom's town has the best fish selection in town and produce is good and cheaper than most stores. No traditional American boxed foods at those types of stores, though.  Which is also we would never encounter a poundticipant in one!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Can you imagine someone who can't stand for more than five minutes doing a sermon, or service?   Or any other function of a minister?   

Well, sure I can. A person with quadriplegia could be a minister, as long as the denomination doesn't require the laying on of hands. A lot of clergypeople have been doing all their work remotely for two years. Ontreon's mobility issues aren't the problem here. The problem is that he is in the midst of a raging addiction with no insight and no willingness to change. His addiction is first, last, and center in his life. He can't do anything for anybody else while he's so out of control.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Someone who truly wants to serve a church and help others, quadraplegic or whatever their challenges, will.   

Ontrean claims he wants to lose weight, and doesn't, he claims he wants to be a minister and have a full time ministry, but doesn't do anything to get to that goal, except some kind of ordination from his local church.   I bet he's never even tried to get a job full or part time in the ministry.    He doesn't even have a job, unless I missed that.     

I think I caught a glimpse of Ontrean's mother at the ordination ceremony, also wearing graduates robes, and being ordained.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I think Ontreon knows that if he loses weight his wife is going to expect him to get a job and he doesn’t want that. I think as soon as she gets her green card, she’ll be out of there (if he lives that long).  I wouldn’t blame her a bit. 

Side note on cinnamon rolls-Trader Joe’s has a canned version that’s pretty good. They’re expensive, but they’re also larger than Pillsbury’s version. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Kbo said:

I think Ontreon knows that if he loses weight his wife is going to expect him to get a job and he doesn’t want that. I think as soon as she gets her green card, she’ll be out of there (if he lives that long).  I wouldn’t blame her a bit. 

Side note on cinnamon rolls-Trader Joe’s has a canned version that’s pretty good. They’re expensive, but they’re also larger than Pillsbury’s version. 

I'll have to look for those cinnamon rolls.

Yes, as soon as Musa can, she has to get away. She's trying to get him to eat healthy meals.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2022 at 4:31 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Dr. Now knew Ontreon would never be successful, but enjoyed the wife repeatedly throwing Ontreon under the bus.     I bet the camera crew sent Dr. Now the raw footage from the coffee shop the second they filmed it.   

I think Dr. Now lit up when she came in.  

• Love 8
On 1/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, ams1001 said:

I know it wasn't a Starbucks,

Ir was a Dunn Bros. franchise  They started in the Twin Cities in 1987, and their first expansion franchise was in Texas in 2004.  They now have franchises throughout the middle of the nation except for Arkansas and Oklahoma.  Each franchise is individually owned, and each one roasts their own coffee, generally on the day of purchase.  I've never stopped in one, but I think I'll have to give it a try.

I looked at their menu and it appears they have lots of healthy options to eat.  BTW, that cinnamon roll has more calories than anything else on their menu, 806!

• Useful 4
37 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Ir was a Dunn Bros. franchise  They started in the Twin Cities in 1987, and their first expansion franchise was in Texas in 2004.  They now have franchises throughout the middle of the nation except for Arkansas and Oklahoma.  Each franchise is individually owned, and each one roasts their own coffee, generally on the day of purchase.  I've never stopped in one, but I think I'll have to give it a try.

The closest location to me would be Missouri, or maybe Iowa. Don't think I'll be checking them out any time soon. I know someone (maybe you?) said what company it was in the chat but I didn't feel like going back to find it. So their large caramel Frappe is about equivalent to a venti Frappucino, calorie-wise, and a little lower in fat (442c/10g vs 470c/17g).

37 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

I looked at their menu and it appears they have lots of healthy options to eat.  BTW, that cinnamon roll has more calories than anything else on their menu, 806!

😲 it has 33 grams of fat and over 1200mg of sodium, too! That's more than half the recommended daily sodium intake for the average healthy person (and this guy ain't that!).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

BTW, that cinnamon roll has more calories than anything else on their menu, 806!

Wow.   Makes me glad I never liked cinnamon rolls.  I wonder if Ontreon even knows or cares what calories are.  He obviously never intended to do the diet...

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Wow.   Makes me glad I never liked cinnamon rolls.  I wonder if Ontreon even knows or cares what calories are.  He obviously never intended to do the diet...

My belief is that Ontreon has an eating disorder that is classified as an "addiction."  It's like any other substance abuse addiction.  He uses the food to "mood alter" emotions he doesn't know how to (and chooses not to) regulate in other, less harmful ways.

The "calorie count" of an item wouldn't come into his calculus of what he chooses to eat because that's not something that interests him.

It is uncertain whether he has the emotional depth or capacity to "rewire" his brain and fight his addiction.  That would be up to him and a therapist.

• Love 5
On 1/14/2022 at 2:31 PM, ams1001 said:

I had Pillsbury Grands. They weren't as good as I remember (my mom got the small ones for Christmas and they were kind of disappointing, too).

Our Aldi had pumpkin flavored rolls. The rolls were pretty standard but the icing was to die for. 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, IvySpice said:

Well, sure I can. A person with quadriplegia could be a minister, as long as the denomination doesn't require the laying on of hands. A lot of clergypeople have been doing all their work remotely for two years. Ontreon's mobility issues aren't the problem here. The problem is that he is in the midst of a raging addiction with no insight and no willingness to change. His addiction is first, last, and center in his life. He can't do anything for anybody else while he's so out of control.

Very true and something I hadn't thought of. The difference is that person wants to serve and help, I don't think Ontreon really does. He is serving his addiction right now and until he stops, he won't be effective. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, no one watched the Supersized episode on Thursday the 20th?    I wonder what bonus scenes, and facts we all missed. 

I watched and it was boring and I can barely remember what the bonus scenes were.  There were two that had to do with him eating, can't remember if there were more.

The first bonus scene I remember was a "celebration dinner" after his "graduation" ceremony.  They went to some diner looking place.  He ordered chicken fried steak and it came with 3 sides so he got mashed potatoes, mac n' cheese, and something else (maybe turnip greens).  Musa questioned his choices.  His brother questioned his choices and may have called it a "cheat day" because it was a celebration.

The last scene of the show was him and Musa going out to dinner at an Italian place.  He ordered a Caeser salad and chicken alfredo.  Musa ordered the same.  It came with bread.  She appeared to eat only half of her meal and boxed it up.  (I really expected her to just have Ontreon eat what she didn't.)  Ontreon may have only eaten half of his chicken alfredo, because there was a third box that he was shown eating from and they walked out with three boxes.  Then in his voiceover as they were walking out of the restaurant he talked about how he reached out to Dr. Now because his Cardiologist told him he needed to lose weight quickly and how, until that point, he was "doing the program" for other people and not himself but now he wanted to do it for himself.

There may have been something else but I can't remember and I've already deleted it.  You missed nothing.

Edited by TazDevil
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, TazDevil said:

I watched and it was boring and I can barely remember what the bonus scenes were.  There were two that had to do with him eating, can't remember if there were more.

The first bonus scene I remember was a "celebration dinner" after his "graduation" ceremony.  They went to some diner looking place.  He ordered chicken fried steak and it came with 3 sides so he got mashed potatoes, mac n' cheese, and something else (maybe turnip greens).  Musa questioned his choices.  His brother questioned his choices and may have called it a "cheat day" because it was a celebration.

The last scene of the show was him and Musa going out to dinner at an Italian place.  He ordered a Caeser salad and chicken alfredo.  Musa ordered the same.  It came with bread.  She appeared to eat only half of her meal and boxed it up.  (I really expected her to just have Ontreon eat what she didn't.)  Ontreon may have only eaten half of his chicken alfredo, because there was a third box that he was shown eating from and they walked out with three boxes.  Then in his voiceover as they were walking out of the restaurant he talked about how he reached out to Dr. Now because his Cardiologist told him he needed to lose weight quickly and how, until that point, he was "doing the program" for other people and not himself but now he wanted to do it for himself.

There may have been something else but I can't remember and I've already deleted it.  You missed nothing.

Thanks for taking one for the team. 😉

• Love 4

I wondered if all of the bonus stuff would show him cheating on the diet, and hurting himself.   Musa deserves someone who treats her better than Ontrean.    Ontrean is going to keep cheating, and lying to himself, and then find out the hard way that his various diseases are going to kill him.