Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Richard Blais vs. Marcel Vigneron

Carla has also published two cookbooks, has a cookie company and has cooked for the president.  Pretty good by anyone's yardstick.  Plus, she went on Top Chef as a caterer not a restaurateur so it's really apples and oranges.  (Apples and oranges!  See what I did there?)

• Love 3

I've always liked Marcel, but even more after he was physically assaulted yet managed to maintain his swagger and dignity. It's nice to see him moving forward competently and I thought he did pretty well here. Yes, he was curt with his sous chefs, but it wasn't anything I haven't seen before (and was pretty mild) and he did acknowledge it and that he knows how talented they are as part of his team.

I don't hate Richard -- I think I'd like him in real life, despite his occasional all-too-fake deprecation -- but he's just not cut out for reality TV and he just keeps slogging through anyway. He makes for stressful and unhappy competition and viewing. I don't think he's really a villain, but (TV-wise) I don't enjoy him either.

I didn't edge into outright hostility here until he started policing Marcel on appropriate behavior. For me it just brought everything into focus -- Richard as the hero of his own ongoing series of segments, Marcel (and others) as his evil antagonists. I was distracted overall and unhappy at most of Richard's talking heads, and hated his ongoing commentary during the final segments to Marcel, when he was jeering at him while pretending to be "above all that."

I prefer Marcel. I don't hate Richard, but see, he's thinking all the time and playing out some scenario in his head. Marcel is just being himself and competing. He's even willing to acknowledge his occasional curtness and minor dickishness, giving props to his team and keeping things going, and just keep going, while Richard is too busy making sure that we all want him to run for President someday. I'd rather watch Marcel. He's more honest somehow.

Also, if you go back and rewatch, the entire episode is transparently skewed toward Richard, who even gets 3 out of every 4 "slo-mo" shots. I felt cynical and discouraged watching this because I have no interest in further bolstering Richard's endless black hole of need. I'd rather see Marcel finally rewarded for his creativity but no, once again we were nudged to see Richard as the "aw-shucks" victor shocked by his own talent.

I like the show cautiously (not as a replacement for Top Chef regular, mind you) -- it's nice to just see them buckle down and cook -- I just wish I felt like the competition was fairer and less staged thus far. We'll see. (And Richard, honey, for God's sake, meditate or get a low-level Xanax prescription. Just sayin'.)

• Love 3
I don't hate Richard -- I think I'd like him in real life, despite his occasional all-too-fake deprecation -- but he's just not cut out for reality TV and he just keeps slogging through anyway. He makes for stressful and unhappy competition and viewing. I don't think he's really a villain, but (TV-wise) I don't enjoy him either.

Ultimately I don't know that we've ever seen any version of Richard that qualifies as genuine.  I can't even tell if he's trying to craft a TV persona or what, but I don't even take his facial gymnastics to be entirely genuine.  By the way, if that's some sort of weird choice he's making to sell his neurotic Chef persona, it doesn't entirely come off as neurotic to everyone and particularly in the restaurant industry it can be a dodgy thing to undertake (it hasn't always been present) ...my husband asked if he had a cocaine problem and heh, whereas I doubt it, I did have to admit, "Oh...yeah.  Yeah, I don't think so, but I see what you're talking about with all the lip chewing."  

Anyway, we're on at least the fourth version of Richard.  There was the first Top Chef appearance, pudgy Richard, man of culinary science, whipping out Perplexed Tofu eventually being beaten by and losing to Stephanie.  That was the first version.  The second version is actually the one that has me convinced that most of Richard Blais on TV is an act...he was on Top Chef Masters acting as a sous chef in the first season.  The sous chefs were assigned to the Master chefs including Michael Chiarello and I don't know what happened, but both Richard Blais and Anger-Management-Dale (before anger management) were indescribably obnoxious to their chef.  

It was so bad that I assumed that it was an instruction by production, because Dale tried to get Michael Chiarello to physically hit him.  Seriously.  Richard wasn't much better, but here's the thing, he was GREAT at being a twerp too.  Really good.  It seemingly came very naturally to him. He didn't commit to the level that Dale did, but then Dale was very troubled at the time, by his own admission. 

Then Richard did All Stars and had yet another personality.  The sad sack, "I choked and lost my season, I have no confidence!  I will whip out my lack of confidence, seemingly as game-play and switch it off like a light when Carla told me not to start with that at one point..." (seriously, she tells him "don't start" and away his self-doubts went....it's an act).  Then Richard did Life After Top Chef, or whatever that debacle was and yet.another.personality.emerged.  Richard as the man trying to balance work and family, while trying to appease his perpetually displeased wife.  Richard the Spousal doormat was probably what led to that show going the way of Dodo, because it was as riveting as it sounds.  

Here we have facial ticks and haggard face Richard.  

I don't necessarily mind the guy trying to make hay while the sun shines, I just don't take anything about him seriously and always suspect him of putting on an act.  Say what you will about Marcel, but he's remained the same person throughout, he just outgrew his more mortifying gangsta posing and slam-poetry reciting but he's still the same guy. 

However, I remembered Richard on Top Chef Masters being SUCH a twerp to his master chef when Richard was preaching in a confessional about how sous chefs should be treated and the irony was rich indeed. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

However, I remembered Richard on Top Chef Masters being SUCH a twerp to his master chef when Richard was preaching in a confessional about how sous chefs should be treated and the irony was rich indeed. 

And if I recall correctly, his chef was Rick Bayless, ffs, who couldn't have possibly been more polite about it, even though Blaise treated him like he was a sous he was assigned from some random food truck.

Ultimately I don't know that we've ever seen any version of Richard that qualifies as genuine.  I can't even tell if he's trying to craft a TV persona or what, but I don't even take his facial gymnastics to be entirely genuine.  By the way, if that's some sort of weird choice he's making to sell his neurotic Chef persona, it doesn't entirely come off as neurotic to everyone and particularly in the restaurant industry it can be a dodgy thing to undertake (it hasn't always been present) ...my husband asked if he had a cocaine problem and heh, whereas I doubt it, I did have to admit, "Oh...yeah.  Yeah, I don't think so, but I see what you're talking about with all the lip chewing."  

...The second version is actually the one that has me convinced that most of Richard Blais on TV is an act...he was on Top Chef Masters acting as a sous chef in the first season.  The sous chefs were assigned to the Master chefs including Michael Chiarello and I don't know what happened, but both Richard Blais and Anger-Management-Dale (before anger management) were indescribably obnoxious to their chef.  

It was so bad that I assumed that it was an instruction by production, because Dale tried to get Michael Chiarello to physically hit him.  Seriously.  Richard wasn't much better, but here's the thing, he was GREAT at being a twerp too.  Really good.  It seemingly came very naturally to him. He didn't commit to the level that Dale did, but then Dale was very troubled at the time, by his own admission. 

I don't necessarily mind the guy trying to make hay while the sun shines, I just don't take anything about him seriously and always suspect him of putting on an act.  Say what you will about Marcel, but he's remained the same person throughout, he just outgrew his more mortifying gangsta posing and slam-poetry reciting but he's still the same guy.  

Stillshimpy, your entire post is the best encapsulation of the maddening reality character that is Richard Blais that I've ever read.

First off, I did laugh a bit at your husband's wondering if Richard had a substance problem, as while I doubt that he does, truly, it is something that can appear in a palpable way -- it reminded me of a friend of mine, who is a very high-end celebrity-magazine editor for the past 18 years, and who 15 years or so ago confided that in 90% of interviews, if the subject is described as "twitchy," "nervous," "jittery" or "on-edge" it was celebrity reporter-speak for "this person is on cocaine." Notable cases in point included Dennis Quaid, (the late and very lamented) Robin Williams, etc.

Meanwhile, as far as Richard goes -- I LOVED this post. I don't hate Richard at all. But like many watching this and other Top Chef seasons and eps, the contestants do get a series of 'strikes' from me, and one of the worst for me was Richard's shockingly poor behavior in "Top Chef Masters" working for Michael Chiarello (Julia, it was Chiarello, not Bayless, who I agree was absolutely delightful). Yes, Michael could be pompous. But Richard walked in with an astoundingly snotty attitude. I'd actually liked Richard before then, but he treated Chiarello like dirt, he treated Chiarello's directives like they were beneath him (and most interesting of all -- they were, which was why Chiarello admitted he assigned them, to see how the sous responded), and was a colossal prick.  While Chiarello is not exactly a paragon of egoless-ness, I was embarrassed for him there, and both Dale and Richard owed him an apology (one I wish Richard had ever, once, also thrown the wonderful Stephanie's way, by the way).

Like I said, I don't hate Blais, but I do see the transparency there and how desperate he is to build a kind of "lovable" storyline but it's just not in his nature. He's nervous and high-strung and pouty, and that's a bad combo for Reality TV. I wish he'd just do what he does (and better yet, do so while reserving time to decompress, which it appears he doesn't do).

Meanwhile, I loved what Marcel created here, was delighted he at least won one challenge, and disliked Richard's continuing and palpable aura of smiling contempt. I think he'd do so much better if he'd simply stop trying to edit/telegraph what he thinks the audience feels or wants, and simply be himself. But I also realize that's really tough to do, and that by the way, I would be totally egregious here in my attempts as a reality contestant to be liked and loved. It's a very tough situation.

But going back to what we saw here -- Richard appeared to pre-plan everything, as much as he could, and seemed surprised at Marcel's good-natured appreciation of the burger challenge. Marcel was delighted and simply went to work while you could see Richard wondering, "What? Why is he reacting this way?" I just think Richard's a bad reality contestant consistently but which -- ironically -- makes for great viewing if you aren't invested, and (for me and my cynical mind) if you're okay with Bravo constantly propping him up now and forever as some kind of noble redeemed loser/winner. Which doesn't work for me.

Also, to second the poster upthread, Marcel has gorgeous eyes and now that he's not rapping obnoxiously or boasting for our approval, it's fun to see him grow into himself as a chef and as a person. I was happy to see him so centered (and if you rewatch, Marcel's THs are appreciative and general and mostly excited about the challenges and his strategies, while Richard's are all about Marcel. It's really weird.)

Edited by paramitch

I've had a Flip burger. The Varsity makes much better hamburgers in Atlanta.

My son worked at an Atlanta area Flip Burger for over a year. During that entire time, Richard never popped in, but his wife and children did quite a few times and were friendly and nice. Their burgers were very good, and their chicken sandwich was awesome. I eat chicken all the time, everywhere, and it was one of the best I've ever had. Regarding The Varsity, I'd rather eat at Sonic than their greasy stuff, but then, I don't eat at Sonic, either.

Marcel has gorgeous eyes and now that he's not rapping obnoxiously or boasting for our approval, it's fun to see him grow into himself as a chef and as a person. I was happy to see him so centered (and if you rewatch, Marcel's THs are appreciative and general and mostly excited about the challenges and his strategies, while Richard's are all about Marcel. It's really weird.)

It does appear Marcel is maturing and coming into his own and I'm glad to see it, as I've always liked him.

Edited by Macthekat
  • Love 4

Well, to me Marcel still seems like a douche.  "I call my burger the Dirty Girl because it's topped with an egg and when you eat it, the juices run all over your face" (or something to that effect).  His whole description of the burger was gross and sounded like he was trying to be more macho and cool than he really is.  Plus, I agree with Richard that putting an egg on a burger is so played out. His assessment of Marcel in that challenge was spot on, in my view. 

I didn't really care who won. I think I've finally reached my limit with how many different Top Chef variations I can force myself to care about.

• Love 2

The egg may well be played out, but there are multiple diner-sized restaurants that will deliver kimchi burgers to my office, so it's not exactly a battle for the cutting edge.

Marcel said slapping a runny egg on top was good, not original, so of the two I think he was a bit more realistic. David Chang and Roy Choi got to kimchi on western fast food long back when Richard was just a glimmer in his own eye.

• Love 2

The egg may well be played out, but there are multiple diner-sized restaurants that will deliver kimchi burgers to my office, so it's not exactly a battle for the cutting edge.

Marcel said slapping a runny egg on top was good, not original, so of the two I think he was a bit more realistic. David Chang and Roy Choi got to kimchi on western fast food long back when Richard was just a glimmer in his own eye.

I think the winner of Bobby Flay's Burger of the Month contest actually had both kimchi and a fried egg on it

Marcel' s description of his burger was gross, and I wanted him to lose the challenge for that alone. Calling food some variation of "sexy" is one of my pet peeves, and Marcel' s description was the sad, overcompensating frat boy version of that.

Richard annoys me, but I'll take him over Marcel any day. Marcel and Betty deserved each other.

• Love 2

Although Blais is a true exhibitionist, I do believe that he is a good chef. Thank goodness that he won over Marcel, who at 34 still acts childish and passive aggressive and expects to win a Nobel Prize for his foams.

Also, Marcel has yellow snaggleteeth.

• Love 2

Boo. I freaking love Marcel. Why won't you let him win, just once, Evil Top Chef gods?

I liked Marcel the first time around and think he seems like he'd be even cooler to hang around with now that he's matured some.

Marcel fan here, too. I liked him just fine on his first TC and thought he got a bad rap mainly because of all the obnoxious people in that season (looking at you, Ilan and Betty and guy who got booted off--rightly--for practically assaulting Marcel in his sleep).

But I digress. I didn't even know this existed until tonight (Tiffany v. Dale--again, wrong winner for me). Seemed much more interesting and fun than regular TC. I thought from "On Demand" that Marcel had won. Guess not. Boo. Because I think Richard is an arrogant ass and I still can't stand the way he talks about his first season how he was robbed when Stephanie won (but justice was done later).

I would have loved it if Marcel had trounced him. Too bad....

• Love 4