Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Thin Ice

• Start Topic

As the unexpected arctic cold front and ice storm continues to havoc in Austin, Tommy, T.K. and Gillian races to rescue a young boy who has fallen in a frozen pond. Judd and Mateo work furiously to help a trapped Paul and Owen takes drastic measures to save a man who has been stabbed and left for dead in the snowy hill country.

Airdate: 01/10/2022

Good grief, how long is this ice storm saga going last? I'm already tired of it. 

Does anyone really think they will kill off TK? I mean, at this point they almost have to, otherwise they need stop leaving him hanging by a thread every other episode. How many times has he been on the brink of death by now anyway? I suspect this is just a way of reconciling him with Carlos, but we'll see. Surprise me, show! It wouldn't kill me to lose the character. Ronen Rubenstein isn't the best actor, sorry to say. 

It also occurs to me how few of these characters I'm actually invested in. Mostly Judd and Grace, and sort of Owen. That's about it. I realized I couldn't care one way or another if Paul or Marjan bit the dust either.

Now, I know somebody is going to pull out a "this really happened!" story from real life, but it seems unfathomable that kid under the ice could have survived. I just don't get how he couldn't have drowned. When he finally came to he only spit out about teaspoonful of water.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Does anyone really think they will kill off TK? I mean, at this point they almost have to, otherwise they need stop leaving him hanging by a thread every other episode. How many times has he been on the brink of death by now anyway? I suspect this is just a way of reconciling him with Carlos, but we'll see. Surprise me, show! It wouldn't kill me to lose the character. Ronen Rubenstein isn't the best actor, sorry to say. 

Yeah I really am to the point where I don't care if TK lives or dies thru his latest near death experience. 

I'm not against NOT killing off a child but even assuming the cold etc, it really seemed like that kid was under the water for way too long for me to buy it. 

I'd forgotten that Marjan had crashed the car in the previous episode. Thats how compelling her storyline was. 

And sure enough Grace is birthing her baby in a freezing car with Evil Billy Burke assisting as midwife. Because why the fuck not?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Now, I know somebody is going to pull out a "this really happened!" story from real life, but it seems unfathomable that kid under the ice could have survived. I just don't get how he couldn't have drowned. When he finally came to he only spit out about teaspoonful of water.

This↑. There is no way in hell that kid could have survived for that length of time. And if he did he'd be a living vegetable.

• Love 8

Submerged for 2 hours and lived with no neurological damage - https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/child-survived-almost-2-hours-cpr-after-falling-icy-stream-how/

An interesting article here about the pathophysiological reasons and the fact kids survive more often than adults in the same circumstances -

https://www.ems1.com/cpr/articles/research-shows-more-children-than-adults-survive-cold-water-drownings-RMr03arr2wF6eE47/

• Useful 10

Yeah, the kid being under was a stretch to say the least.  But I assume the cold could preserve the body long enough for it to be resuscitated.   Probably not the most outlandish thing this show has done.

Was anyone else expecting Julie Benz to to take a shovel to Owen's head?  Or least pull a gun on him?  I still think she's going to be involved in this coyote plot somehow.   Unless she's here to be Owen's GF this season.

I kinda feel like they're leading to a "joy of birth / agony of death trope" where one of the team dies just as Judd and Grace's baby is born.  Nut I don't think they'd do it with TK.  It cuts Carlos off from the rest of the cast and creates way too much angst for Owen.   And the other two paramedics, given they lost Tim and Tommy's husband last season.   

Oh no! TK in danger! I wonder if he's gonna live...oh wait, this is Lone Star. If TK dies, who's their residential hospital patient? 

Seriously, though, TK being in danger is only MARGINALLY below Owen in danger as the Least Worrisome Character in Danger because he will be 100% fine. We have seen him injured/near death a total of four times now (the pilot when he OD'd, the shooting when he was in a coma, the episode where he was kidnapped along with Tommy/Nancy and got put in the hospital, and now this). This is all to bring him and Carlos back together, but it doesn't even work because we don't know HOW they broke up, and it's only episode two. At the end of last season, they were happy. And now, they've barely been broken up before we're supposed to care about them getting back together.

Yawn, find a new storyline for TK, because him being in danger or being with Carlos is the only two storylines he's apparently good for. Unless TK suffers permanent damage from this, it's really not gonna be that interesting. 

Now, Paul being in danger would have been much more worrisome because we all know this show has a hierarchy for each character. Owen is at the top, because Rob Lowe is the star of the show, followed by TK and Tommy, then Judd, then Carlos/Grace, then Owen's love interests, then everyone else on the team. Paul is probably the lowest on the show's totem pole so if he was in danger? I'd be more willing to buy that he wouldn't be fine. 

Paul's scenes this episode were good, probably the best out of all of them. Well, that was your one centric episode, Paul. Back to the background for you!

Poor Marjan was forgotten about. I guess we'll see her wandering around and finding Owen next episode.

Julie Benz, I adore you, but you deserve better than this show.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yeah, the kid being under was a stretch to say the least.  But I assume the cold could preserve the body long enough for it to be resuscitated.   Probably not the most outlandish thing this show has done.

I mean, I concede its possible but there were a lot of what the fuck moments surrounding it. Like for example the ambulance having a portable "ECMO" device - something covid coverage has led me to believe is neither cheap nor small and portable nor likely to be in an ambulance in a southern state that doesn't get a lot of frozen drowned kids. 

I think if I have a real complaint its that this episode was super busy and disconnected and yet somehow I know this will involve the 126 getting their station back. And as someone who has spent their adult life employed, I will be honest and say I sometimes disconnect with shows where the characters in a work place are a deeply close family where no one can ever concieve of leaving, no one wants a promotion because that means leaving the family and everyone loves their job so much, everyone stays despite all problems including serial killers and in this show's case, a childishly evil superior bent on their destruction. 

• Love 4

I was really hoping Julie Benz would be the one who had injured that guy.   Like a female Dexter!  I guess it could still work out given that he was one of the coyotes and she was talking about them transporting people in the area. 

Edited by MrPissyPuppy
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, t7686 said:

A three parter! Who has a three partner in this day and age and in two weeks? 

The OG 9-1-1 did, this season, with the ransomware/blackout and it was like enough already. Frankly two episodes was more than enough for this ridiculous ice storm scenario. And I really don't need to see more of the banter between Julie Benz and Rob Lowe, unless they do something interesting with their storyline.

I like Marjan but frankly, she and Owen deserve to die from their stupidity of venturing out into that weather for no good reason. At least Owen was trying to help someone, but when people don't want your help, what's the point...plus his cowboy routine is pretty tired.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 4

Just how cold is it supposed to be because they seem to making it seem like it's -10 -20 degrees.  Maybe it's because I'm from Chicago but 20 degree days here aren't as cold as they're portraying on the show.

Also, everyone's breath seems to be disappearing and reappearing depending on the scene.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

As an ex northerner, yeah the actual temperature being in the 20s or 30s wouldn't be this bad. I mean,  we never got rivers or lakes or even small ponds to ice over with three to five inches of ice in.... a few hours. The flash freezing of the homeless shelter was also a deep winter thing. The actual Texas winter incident last year was a huge issue mostly because pipes froze, the power was out and people didn't have winter stuff. I know hypothermia in a house is boring compared to in the woods but its much  more likely.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

The OG 9-1-1 did, this season, with the ransomware/blackout and it was like enough already. Frankly two episodes was more than enough for this ridiculous ice storm scenario. And I really don't need to see more of the banter between Julie Benz and Rob Lowe, unless they do something interesting with their storyline.

I like Marjan but frankly, she and Owen deserve to die from their stupidity of venturing out into that weather for no good reason. At least Owen was trying to help someone, but when people don't want your help, what's the point...plus his cowboy routine is pretty tired.

Unlike the mothership Lone Star is doing a ripped form the headlines so I can see them milking it for all its worth. The NFL does present scheduling challenges thus the two week cliff hanger.  Marjan was from Miami. isn't this a historic low for that part of Texas, at least the real life event,  with little or no experience of what she was heading into? I had sergeants to protect me in my first Kansas winter at Fort Riley.

I watched this while it is single-digit Fahrenheit temps outside, and I've survived near drowning a few times, so probably even more than most:  🙄
But I liked the soap opera stuff getting less screen time.
And Rob Lowe's humorously ironic delivery of the last line: 

[ELENA] There was a crash. Then we took back what was ours. The ones that could, ran. Not everyone got away.

[OWEN] Yeah, I think I met one of them. He was injured. In fact, I was looking for him when the storm hit. That's him, that's the guy ( yelling in Spanish ).
The guy you've been running from. ( tense music )

13 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

And sure enough Grace is birthing her baby in a freezing car with Evil Billy Burke assisting as midwife. Because why the fuck not?

because Evil Billy Burke is too busy tracking the illegals but then arrives in their firetrap shelter and pivots to tracking down the coyote so he can arrest Owen for aiding and abetting the coyote and contributing to arson?

12 hours ago, preeya said:

This↑. There is no way in hell that kid could have survived for that length of time. And if he did he'd be a living vegetable.

So much this👆. At least give us a line of dialogue explaining why this isn't so. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I think if I have a real complaint its that this episode was super busy and disconnected and yet somehow I know this will involve the 126 getting their station back. 

Ooo! Ooo! I got this plot resolution: Red-haired teen revealed her dad is a Doctor (meaning respected, moneyed, and/or with clout) and Judd et al. mentioned teen rescue would make news. Teen gets Paul to say what makes him mad and he says his firehouse family being shut down because of BS budget cuts. Connect those dots and the 126 reopens. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I honestly figured all the whos down in whoville would sing while Grace was birthing the baby and Evil Billy Burke's heart would grow three times in size and all the plot points surrounding arson framing will be erased and the 126 will be restored as though none of this ever happened.

Until Evil Billy pulls this same shit again and Strand falls for it AGAIN 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooo! Ooo! I got this plot resolution: Red-haired teen revealed her dad is a Doctor (meaning respected, moneyed, and/or with clout) and Judd et al. mentioned teen rescue would make news. Teen gets Paul to say what makes him mad and he says his firehouse family being shut down because of BS budget cuts. Connect those dots and the 126 reopens. 

I have a strange feeling you are right on this.

• Love 6

Submerged for 2 hours and lived with no neurological damage

But this kid was under the ice for over a week!

Seriously, though - even in "show time," two hours is a very conservative estimate, from the time the kid fell into the icy water, to the time the couple found him, and then the couple had to go find someone's house and use a land line to call 911. How long before they found someone who even had one of those? And then the time for the ambulance to arrive, during a major winter storm. That seems like a lot in just two hours.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Honestly I just want Evil Billy Burke done. I mean, he was framing Owen for arson... thats kind of big.

He's an asshole but he didn't frame Owen. Evil BB actually helped flush out the actual arsonist, a corrupt arson investigator. Said arsonist torched himself in the interrogation room, blew up the 126 and burned down Carlos's condo.

Edited by anna0852
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wait, I thought it was that fire inspector guy who was framing Owen for arson and Evil Billy Burke was actually helping him draw the guy out and prove it was a frame job?

4 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

And as someone who has spent their adult life employed, I will be honest and say I sometimes disconnect with shows where the characters in a work place are a deeply close family where no one can ever concieve of leaving, no one wants a promotion because that means leaving the family and everyone loves their job so much, everyone stays despite all problems including serial killers and in this show's case, a childishly evil superior bent on their destruction

Hell, I work for the family business alongside other people I've been friends with for decades and love my job, but we don't constantly hang out together in our free time like the characters on this show do. And if a serial killer ever firebombs the office I'll be turning in my notice and sending nice postcards from thousands of miles away!

TK went from rubbing his hands for warmth to rolling around naked in the snow rather quickly. Though I suppose I shouldn't look gift horses in the mouth.

Speaking of, I was pleasantly surprised that Owen found himself in need of rescue rather than riding a white stallion (the finishing touch of his Marlboro Man cosplay) directly to Marjan's wreck and hitching the car to it to haul her out of that ravine.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Was anyone else expecting Julie Benz to to take a shovel to Owen's head?  Or least pull a gun on him?  I still think she's going to be involved in this coyote plot somehow.   Unless she's here to be Owen's GF this season.

I kinda feel like they're leading to a "joy of birth / agony of death trope" where one of the team dies just as Judd and Grace's baby is born.  Nut I don't think they'd do it with TK.  It cuts Carlos off from the rest of the cast and creates way too much angst for Owen.   And the other two paramedics, given they lost Tim and Tommy's husband last season.   

I like TK actually but while I agree with you, I’m thinking they might kill him off to make Owen come back and then jump a few months. I hope they don’t, but I could see it.

4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Ooh right! It did. Completely blocked it out because it was needlessly drawn out too. These silly shows. 

Of course TK is in danger, the poor guy is always about five minutes from death. These people are right up there with the LA branch with being the unluckiest people on Earth, even for first responders. Sure they usually live, but only after being stabbed, drowned, froze, shot...

This was definitely an improvement on last week, it felt less disjointed and I was allowed to get more invested in the stories, but there is just so much going on that its hard to fully pay attention. And its a three parter? Really? Can we just push past the annual big event multipart and get on with the actual season soon? 

I am glad that they gave Paul a decent subplot, he tends to end up in the background compared to everyone else, so we had that going for us. I was pretty sure he would be fine, but its a little less given as some of the other cast members. 

• Love 4

As someone who lives in a place where snow and ice are a common thing (Ohio), watching how this show - clearly taped in L.A. - visually depict a blizzard/ice storm is crazymaking. There was so much that in this ep that made me scream "that's not how any of this works!" Also, when did making everything blue equal cold?

Other thoughts:

• Grace and Judd are the heart of this show.
  • The kid's recovery was absolute bullshit. He was in the icy water for what? A half hour? It would take hours in a hospital before they could even hope to bring him back and it would be weeks before anyone tested his brain function.
  • Whether together or separately, Grace and Judd are the heart of this show.
  • Owen just seems to always be a dopey fuck-up who just keeps stumbling into dramatic situations.
  • They are free to kill off TK.
  • Is portable ECMO really a thing? Because....COVID.
21 hours ago, t7686 said:

A three parter! Who has a three partner in this day and age and in two weeks? Ugh. Much better episode than the premiere though poor TK, hopefully he makes it out this one. 

I feel like three-parters are the standard way for 9-1-1 to come back whether it's Lone Star or Original Recipe.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

He's an asshole but he didn't frame Owen. Evil BB actually helped flush out the actual arsonist, a corrupt arson investigator. Said arsonist torched himself in the interrogation room, blew up the 126 and burned down Carlos's condo.

My bad, I seriously forgot he wasn't THAT evil, just douchbaggy bitchy. Evil Billy Burke then used the arson at the 126 to screw the whole station over because he's clearly still petulant about Strand retaining command to where Strand can't be reinstated unless he apologizes to Billy Burke for taking offense to the whole giant fuck over. Isn't he supposed to be dying of cancer? I mean I have never met such a bitchy bitch pulling endless bitch moves like this. 

Its also just a dumb plot point - the 126 was so important to Austin that the station was completely restaffed and redecorated and a year later is being shuttered for budget cuts? Call me crazy but I assume all the firefighters who *died* in the initial destruction in episode one still have some wives, husbands and children who just might protest the station being shut down so soon after the deaths of their loved ones. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My plot resolution, although more from last weeks episode, was Marjan/Firefox. They needed $4 mill and change to save the 126 from budget cuts. She set up a go fund me & blasted her 7 million followers. If everyone gave   $1….

I also forgot all about her until they showed her deep into this episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
21 hours ago, preeya said:

So much this👆. At least give us a line of dialogue explaining why this isn't so. Sheesh.

{This↑} was pointing to this previous post:  Now, I know somebody is going to pull out a "this really happened!" story from real life, but it seems unfathomable that kid under the ice could have survived. I just don't get how he couldn't have drowned. When he finally came to he only spit out about teaspoonful of water. 

Sheesh!

• Love 2

Dude all of the firehouse were making me worried. Like my gosh. I thought for sure Marjan was going to be stuck in the car buried. So I was relieved she got out. 

Paul had me worried too, so I am glad he got out too. 

• Love 1

I could swear we've seen Owen drinking on dates and at dinner parties. Seems like having him struggle with alcoholism would be a bit redundant with TK's addiction issues from the beginning of the series.

Lowe's an alcoholic, he's been pretty open about his struggles with it. 31 years of sobriety and counting.

• Useful 2

I don't think they'll kill off TK. I think he's one of about five people on this show that are safe. But if they were going to kill him off, they wouldn't have broken him up with Carlos. His death would be more dramatic if they were together. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ajs1615 said:

I don't think they'll kill off TK. I think he's one of about five people on this show that are safe. But if they were going to kill him off, they wouldn't have broken him up with Carlos. His death would be more dramatic if they were together. 

No dialog is for nothing. I wonder if the bit about him praying in Hebrew is a hint that he's going to go live with his mom?
I was pretty sure they were about to kill off Paul (as frequently occurs with non-cis-hetero characters) but they didn't.
So maybe instead of killing off TK, they'll just ship him off to Mom's. 

Am I terrible for not caring if TK lives or not?  They need to rename him Pauline because he stays in peril.  I mean, he's had an OD, almost suffocated by corn( well deserved because he was being a dismissive asshole and disobeyed a direct order) , got shot, was held hostage, almost got burned to a crisp and now almost got freeze dried.  Has he almost died from a hurricane or got tossed by a tornado so we can say we hit all elemental jeopardy or are they saving him for those?

I hate these big event episodes.  I'll be glad when this ice storm is over and they can get to regular rescues.  Sigh.

I just love Judd and Grace.

Judd: "Thank you dispatch. Appreciate the assist"

Grace: "Anytime firefighter Ryder."

Also him getting her English breakfast tea and ginger chews.  Sigh.

Next week looks interesting, tho.  I hate that Evil Billy is so petty and jealous cuz I kinda like Evil Billy when he is not being totally evil.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Next week looks interesting, tho.  I hate that Evil Billy is so petty and jealous cuz I kinda like Evil Billy when he is not being totally evil.

Oh, good -- it's not just me. I like how Owen+Evil Billy has been an escalating series of dumbass moves that somehow for each of them results in the opposite of what they intend, yet they never seem to learn. It's like a Bugs Bunny or Road Runner cartoon but with grown men.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Court said:

Y'all, I just want a Judd for myself. Where can I get one? 

He’s my fav too. He gives me 😍!  I especially loved him in the Judd&Grace origin story episode. I must’ve watched it 6-7 times. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 2

I like this show for what it is.  Paper thin plots with charismatic actors (for the most part).   I hate the firehouse on the brink of shutting down plot and the TK is on the brink of death plot.   But the rest of it does kinda work for me.  Paul was probably the star of the episode for me.  I loved his scenes with the girl as they were trapped together.    I am also kinda hoping the Julie Benz stuff mean something and she just wasn’t there just to be there. 

• Love 8
On 1/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Wait, I thought it was that fire inspector guy who was framing Owen for arson and Evil Billy Burke was actually helping him draw the guy out and prove it was a frame job?

Hell, I work for the family business alongside other people I've been friends with for decades and love my job, but we don't constantly hang out together in our free time like the characters on this show do. And if a serial killer ever firebombs the office I'll be turning in my notice and sending nice postcards from thousands of miles away!

TK went from rubbing his hands for warmth to rolling around naked in the snow rather quickly. Though I suppose I shouldn't look gift horses in the mouth.

Speaking of, I was pleasantly surprised that Owen found himself in need of rescue rather than riding a white stallion (the finishing touch of his Marlboro Man cosplay) directly to Marjan's wreck and hitching the car to it to haul her out of that ravine.)

So the TK  has hypothermia makes sense in the fact that he got wet, but didn't make sense in term of Tommy not saying once they got the kid stabilized "OK, TK, now you" and having him strip out of his clothes at the very least.  She's not an idiot.

Also, yes, it would have been cheesy as heck if he did have a white Malboro Man stallion, but the thing is - Owen would have totally owned it that he got the horse for no other reason to complete the look.  He embraces his extra-ness so well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Janie430 said:

Also, yes, it would have been cheesy as heck if he did have a white Malboro Man stallion, but the thing is - Owen would have totally owned it that he got the horse for no other reason to complete the look.  He embraces his extra-ness so well.

Yes, but maybe even more cool to have the horse be wild, and Owen just charms it into letting him ride bareback to rescue people in the Texas blizzard.

• LOL 3

Am I terrible for not caring if TK lives or not?  They need to rename him Pauline because he stays in peril.  I mean, he's had an OD, almost suffocated by corn( well deserved because he was being a dismissive asshole and disobeyed a direct order) , got shot, was held hostage, almost got burned to a crisp and now almost got freeze dried.  Has he almost died from a hurricane or got tossed by a tornado so we can say we hit all elemental jeopardy or are they saving him for those?

LOL. Next season he'll be tied to railroad tracks.

• LOL 5