Type keyword(s) to search

Pivoting - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I really want to like this show.

Characters are unlikable to me so far.

Show tries too hard to be... something. Can't put my finger on it. It just tries too hard . but at the same time it feels like it doesn't even try at all.

Also the women talk so fast so much of the time I can't understand what they are saying.

Edit - ok, episode 7 "Bounce, Baby"  was really funny.

Amy going after Devon on the soccer field was great. First episode where I really laughed out loud.and now I'm watching it on demand so I can get closed captioning to figure out what they are saying. Maybe this show just needs to settle and find its place.

It's funny when I saw the promos for this show it didn't spark my interest. But now I'm hopeful.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 2
On 2/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, Shermie said:

I’m assuming because it’s “girly” stuff, like clothes and whatnot, it makes sense that Colleen’s friends sort through it. Maybe they want to keep some of it? The show implies that the 4 women spent a lot of time together. As for the widower not showing grief? Colleen died of cancer, so the bigger grief was at the terminal diagnosis. I’ve seen that many times; the shock of the impending loss is the worst grief. By the time the person dies, they’ve suffered a while, so their death is a relief, even if it’s fairly quick and the person is young. It’s different when the person dies suddenly, like in an accident.

I really don’t like Jodie sleeping with the trainer. Cheating isn’t cool, Jodie, even if you think your husband is an ass. And maybe he is a buffoon, but honestly, I don’t think they’ve shown him being terrible enough for the viewer to root for Jodie cheating on him. It’s off-putting.

I do like the three women leads and the blond’s husband. I wish the writing was better because the actors seem to have the chops to pull it off.

As for grocery stores bagging, it obviously varies by region and store. Here, some stores do it and some don’t and you know that going in. I prefer to pack my own, since I pack them according to where they go in my house. It seems most people bring their own bags anyway, and know which bags are good for what (insulated bags for frozen, etc.) But I prefer self-checkout anyway, so much faster! Rarely have issues with it, and the odd time there’s a glitch, there’s a staffer right there. Even at Costco and Walmart. And around here, self-checkout isn’t taking any jobs; there are so many unfilled jobs that giving some to automation means the work is getting done. 

I still don’t understand quitting being a surgeon to work in a grocery store. Nothing against grocery store workers, but it seems like a waste of an education. 

What I hate about the Jodie cheating storyline (other than she's cheating on her buffoon, but harmless husband) is that we're supposed to be fist pumping Jodie for finally getting her some, but from we've been shown, Jodie doesn't communicate her issues. AT ALL. She complains that her family treats her like a slave and are unappreciative, but does she have her children do any chores? Help around the house? Not talk back? As far as Dan, she claims he's never given her an orgasm and that she's faked it every time. Well, Jodie, that's on you. Dan doesn't know he's not satisfying you if you don't communicate with him. Does she ever suggest they try new things? Or talk to him at all? I have no sympathy for people, both in fiction and IRL, who complain about people not reading their minds. Stop being so passive and such a doormat in your life, Jodie! 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

As far as Dan, she claims he's never given her an orgasm and that she's faked it every time. Well, Jodie, that's on you. Dan doesn't know he's not satisfying you if you don't communicate with him.

This. As far as Dan knows, his moves are satisfying her since to his knowledge, she is having orgasms. 

I agree that the writers seem to think we, the viewers, are cheering Jodie on for her fling, like we’re all sitting there going, “Yay Jodie, snagging a hot young guy! You do you (and him)!” If she was divorced or even separated, it would be a whole different thing.

It’s too bad. I enjoy shows about women having fun together and being snarky. I love Bad Moms and I think that’s what they’re trying for here. But the moms in Bad Moms were faithful to their partners and cared for their kids. The “enemies” were the obnoxious SuperMoms and then their own toxic Moms. 

• Love 3

Amy wakes up at 6 am? She produces a morning show! That's why she has afternoons free to take care of her kids! For reference, a producer for GMA gets up at 4:20am. Because they're actually making a morning show.

It was pretty bold for a show called 'Pivoting' to end an episode with a character triumphantly celebrating how she hadn't really changed.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Sorry to be a downer, but I didn't like the last episode. The girls bossing coleens husband around about the ashes irritated me. I know he said that's what they always did haha? But no. 

And the shots thing  - and dancing crazy at the bar just felt like another thing the writers think women do and we would cheer that on too. 

Will be interesting to see if it gets picked up for a season 2.

To me the characters are unlikable and unrelatable. I go back and forth with my feelings on this. 

It tries too hard in some ways and seems to rely on what is easy to stereotype in other ways. It could be so much better.

Meh.

• Love 4
On 3/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, Shermie said:

This. As far as Dan knows, his moves are satisfying her since to his knowledge, she is having orgasms. 

I agree that the writers seem to think we, the viewers, are cheering Jodie on for her fling, like we’re all sitting there going, “Yay Jodie, snagging a hot young guy! You do you (and him)!” If she was divorced or even separated, it would be a whole different thing.

It’s too bad. I enjoy shows about women having fun together and being snarky. I love Bad Moms and I think that’s what they’re trying for here. But the moms in Bad Moms were faithful to their partners and cared for their kids. The “enemies” were the obnoxious SuperMoms and then their own toxic Moms. 

Dan sucks and is essentially selfish.  Not condoning Jodie’s affair but Jodie needs to end it. 

My favorite is when Dan shows up drunk to see Colleen and Amy’s husband and Colleen’s husband doesn’t even know who he is.  Amy’s husband has legit been going over there since the show started to be supportive.  Dan shows up to get support from two men who never see him.  

And he treats Jodie like a someone who works for him not a wife.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, dmc said:

Dan sucks and is essentially selfish.  Not condoning Jodie’s affair but Jodie needs to end it. 

My favorite is when Dan shows up drunk to see Colleen and Amy’s husband and Colleen’s husband doesn’t even know who he is.  Amy’s husband has legit been going over there since the show started to be supportive.  Dan shows up to get support from two men who never see him.  

And he treats Jodie like a someone who works for him not a wife.  

No excuse for an affair.

Jodie had a legit reason for being unhappy, but once she cheated..she was no better.  Women need to be direct with men, and if they aren't then don't whine about being unhappy.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That episode was really bad.

I didn't think that the 3 lead characters couldn't get any worse, but here we are.

I'm surprised that Colleen's ashes didn't get dumped out of the box.  But they left it, of course, at the bar by accident.

Again, Colleen's husband had no tears.  He just let the three lunatics escape with his wife's box of ashes.

Absurdity with a lot of maniacal acting out.

• Love 2

I believe this was the finale? Probably won’t get renewed so we won’t find out if these horrible/need therapy women ever redeem themselves. Did not like the lesbian dr. ( guess she’s bi) having sex with the widowed husband of her friend. Actually they are all unlikeable pretty much. The cheAter & her husband really sicken me. The morning tv one, her husband makes a joke about her selling drugs & always being on something? Leaves her babies alone in a car? 😆…not. 

• Love 2
On 3/12/2022 at 2:23 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

No excuse for an affair.

Jodie had a legit reason for being unhappy, but once she cheated..she was no better.  Women need to be direct with men, and if they aren't then don't whine about being unhappy.

Yeah I legit wrote I don’t condone her having an affair.  Dan is still POS though.  Her affair doesn’t make him any better.  I’m not a person that believes two wrongs cancel each other out.  She can apologize to Dan for cheating on him when she hands him divorce papers. 

One thing this show gets right is the feeling of wasting too much time and how we all have less time than we think. 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 5

TBH the last few episodes I'd been thinking there was some flirtatious energy between Sarah and Coleen's widower (his name's Brian?). But Sarah saying she quit medicine not because of a bad day but because (or also because) she felt she failed Coleen was a really solid moment. Very believable, very relatable. Thing is, Brian pivoting away from that moment, was a disappointing cop-out on the show's part, even if that is also very real on his part.

Jodie is bold, going from barely plausibly deniable flirting at the gym to making out with her affair at the center of their neighborhood roller rink. And by bold, I mean very stupid.

I don't see why firing the afternoon producer guy means the station has to make Amy do two jobs. There's literally the salary of the old producer they could use to pay a producer.

How in the world did Henry manage to drink all the beer in the boilermaker but leave all the booze in the shot glass???

• Love 3
On 3/11/2022 at 11:35 AM, dmc said:

My favorite is when Dan shows up drunk to see Colleen and Amy’s husband and Colleen’s husband doesn’t even know who he is.

That made no sense to me. I mean, maybe the guys aren’t best buds like their wives but you’d think they’d at least know each other.

I guess that’s the end of the show. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the actresses. I think they were just finding their groove, but I can’t see it being renewed. I guess we’ll never know what if they get Colleen’s ashes back, if Jodie and her husband divorce, if Sarah goes back to medicine, and how Amy balances her kids with her new double work duty.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2022 at 12:23 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

No excuse for an affair.

I feel like this is assuming Jodie hadn't been direct with her husband at some point in their relationship. We're only seeing them at the possible end side of the relationship. My interpretation of what the story has given so far is that Jodie has "tried" for years and years, and nothing ever changes to the point she's given up. To me, the way they're depicted is of Jodie having "worked" at the marriage their entire marriage, with Dan simply along for the ride.

Anyway, I agree that two wrongs don't make a right, but I don't see the characters as equal to one another. One mistake, at a point she clearly feels her marriage is dead but she's too weak to leave, and years of neglect don't feel equal to me. The character comes across as one of those people who don't think they can stand on their own two feet / be alone and wait to leave only until they have somewhere else to go. I imagine though that the show is going to whitewash Dan if there are more episodes based on the ending; I mean, that the show turned the gym guy into someone living in his parent's house probably means it won't be long-term.

Anyway, that's a lot of thinking over a show that I'm sure hasn't put that much thought into any of this, lol. If it ends, I won't really care. The only characters I actually like are the doctor-turned-cashier and the blonde woman's husband.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2022 at 2:23 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

No excuse for an affair.

Jodie had a legit reason for being unhappy, but once she cheated. she was no better.  Women need to be direct with men, and if they aren't then don't whine about being unhappy.

No better?  Seriously?  He didn't beat her or cheat first - he's just a lunkhead.  She's WORSE. Much worse.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

No better?  Seriously?  He didn't beat her or cheat first - he's just a lunkhead.  She's WORSE. Much worse.

The bar for relationship satisfaction is lack of spousal abuse. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ 

I hope everyone here knows they deserve a loving, caring supportive partner and to feel seen.  You can have more than the bare minimum of decency. 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, dmc said:

The bar for relationship satisfaction is lack of spousal abuse. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ 

I hope everyone here knows they deserve a loving, caring supportive partner and to feel seen.  You can have more than the bare minimum of decency. 

Yes, everyone deserves to get the best of everything in life including the best marital relationships, but they don't.  Two wrongs don't make a right and cheating on your spouse is not going to solve any marital problems or enhance the relationship to anyone's satisfaction.

• Love 1

I’m late to the party on this show, but as it turns out, I may not watch the entire thing.  The previews looked interesting, but my initial reaction after tuning in isn’t good.  Why do the writers think women act the way they are portrayed on this series?  I suspect the writers just aren’t creative enough to come up with anything better.  It’s mainly the dialogue that’s too silly.  The crazy way they have them act…like hyped up paranoid A holes.  Why?   It doesn’t seem like grieving the loss of a friend to me.  Fighting beside the road over Splender in your coffee?  

Ginnifer Goodwin was incredible in Big Love! The humor and magic with the three women on that show was awesome!  This show doesn’t offer Goodwin much to work with.  

One thing that I thought could have been funny was the doctor storyline.  I am an attorney and due to the stress and anxiety have occasionally  had a fantasy of working on a farm, landscaping, working in a boutique selling candles and specialty gifts, etc.   I haven’t considered grocery store work though, because that seems pretty stressful to me. People are lined up down the aisles, not enough help, unhappy patrons, etc.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 3/20/2022 at 2:52 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Yes, everyone deserves to get the best of everything in life including the best marital relationships, but they don't.  Two wrongs don't make a right and cheating on your spouse is not going to solve any marital problems or enhance the relationship to anyone's satisfaction.

I think everyone has agreed that affairs are wrong several times.  I haven't seen one person argue to have one.   But that doesn't mean you need to stay in an unsatisfactory relationship either.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 1

Well   this   show  has  been CANCELLED.    Perhaps    there is a  small  amount of  justice  in this  world   after all.  

Thankfully     that  means   there  will be  One  Less  show   out   there   that    promotes,   encourages,  excuses,  justifies,  rationalizes,  glorifies  and  Romanticizes  ADULTERY/ INFIDELITY.

• LOL 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, arc said:

Wild that a sitcom, even single cam, would be cheaper in Vancouver. Did they use that much location shooting? Felt like a lot of it was on a few sets. Maybe crew is just paid less in Canada?

I think compared to L.A. it’s considered a lot cheaper, plus cloud cover https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_North

Edited by DanaK