Type keyword(s) to search

Memory Lane: Seasons 1-5

• Start Topic

I woke up early this morning and popped the tube on, looking for something to put me back to sleep.

I got to MTV (DO NOT JUDGE) and came across a show called FAMELESS - a prank TV show that David Spade produces.

The premise is to bring fame whores on to do 'reality TV' and then clown on them.

One segment is a 'fashion police' kind of show - they bring a guy out to clown on photos of celebs and the celeb happens to be Jill Zarin,

It was kind of funny to see her, she wasn't over the top and played along with the prank - the guy said one outfit looked like a vagina and there was another set of photos where she was sucking on a lollipop - his comment was something like, "That is the way you got to where you are......"

Good stuff.

• Love 4

I actually think Season 5, for me, may have been when things started going downhill. There were some funny moments, but once they all went to St. Barths Aviva sort of ruined things. I will say the only thing I was really chuckling about re: St. Barths was the amount of times Ramona made sure to bring up Lu was bringing home strange friend. She used every opportunity to talk about it.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Neeners said:

I actually think Season 5, for me, may have been when things started going downhill. There were some funny moments, but once they all went to St. Barths Aviva sort of ruined things. I will say the only thing I was really chuckling about re: St. Barths was the amount of times Ramona made sure to bring up Lu was bringing home strange friend. She used every opportunity to talk about it.

They fired too many HWs at one time and had too big a gap between season 4 - season 5, both of which Andy admits really hurt the NY show. Because of both, firings/time gap, there was a big disconnect for most viewers when the show finally came back on air, which it has not recovered from, even with them bringing Bethenny back. The time gap hurt also hurt Miami, which also never recovered and they then cancelled. It will be interesting to see if NJ is hurt from their time gap as well even though they did it to keep Giudice on the show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WireWrap said:

They fired too many HWs at one time and had too big a gap between season 4 - season 5, both of which Andy admits really hurt the NY show. Because of both, firings/time gap, there was a big disconnect for most viewers when the show finally came back on air, which it has not recovered from, even with them bringing Bethenny back. The time gap hurt also hurt Miami, which also never recovered and they then cancelled. It will be interesting to see if NJ is hurt from their time gap as well even though they did it to keep Giudice on the show.

Even though Bravo constantly releases glowing press releases about the various shows Atlanta is still the highest with OC and BH a very close second and third, NJ has dropped way down since Caroline departed, and the ridiculous let's wait for the felon decision, NY is just behind NJ.  The Sunday night spot is always the best slot.  BH and NY tend to get either the tougher Tuesday or Wednesday slot. 

The danger this franchise now faces is the number of single women without their children playing any significant role.  At least with Heather and Kristen we saw children and husbands.  Ramona, Carole and Sonja are suffering from no real storyline.   Carole not writing and Ramona not dating but just wanting men to take her dinner off camera won't work.  So they better bring on some interesting new women in to keep it from being the Bethenny show and let's talk about how bad Luann's marriage is show or laugh at her wedding show.

I can see them waiting until after the first of the year to start filming that way they bypass the holidays and the wedding .

BH may not air until January if they take the Below Deck slot.   

• Love 5
On Monday, October 03, 2016 at 3:05 PM, zoeysmom said:

Even though Bravo constantly releases glowing press releases about the various shows Atlanta is still the highest with OC and BH a very close second and third, NJ has dropped way down since Caroline departed, and the ridiculous let's wait for the felon decision, NY is just behind NJ.  The Sunday night spot is always the best slot.  BH and NY tend to get either the tougher Tuesday or Wednesday slot. 

The danger this franchise now faces is the number of single women without their children playing any significant role.  At least with Heather and Kristen we saw children and husbands.  Ramona, Carole and Sonja are suffering from no real storyline.   Carole not writing and Ramona not dating but just wanting men to take her dinner off camera won't work.  So they better bring on some interesting new women in to keep it from being the Bethenny show and let's talk about how bad Luann's marriage is show or laugh at her wedding show.

I can see them waiting until after the first of the year to start filming that way they bypass the holidays and the wedding .

BH may not air until January if they take the Below Deck slot.   

I didn't think either OC or BH had ratings that were particularly close to Atlanta. I thought that OC and BH are in a dead heat for second in terms of ratings, but that Atlanta basically laps everything else on Bravo. Atlanta is still the highest rated show on Bravo. And I could have sworn that I've seen some ratings for Atlanta season 7 that included DVR that was just shy of 5 million.

It's funny how we fixate on storylines on the other franchises, but on Atlanta the women can basically do nothing and it's really watchable. Last season Cynthia's storyline was a sunglasses line, growing estrangement from Peter, and being Kenya's designated friend. Kandi was pregnant and fighting with Phaedra. Phaedra was on her own because Apollo was in prison and she was fighting with Kandi and Todd. Sheree and Kenya had unfinished houses. Kenya had a "boyfriend" and "tried" to talk with her mom. Porsha was there. Kim Fields needed to pay off her taxes, directed a 'mercial, and promised to never associate with these people again. Nene showed up to be friends with Cynthia again. The Atlanta storylines are just as boring as any other franchise, but the women are interesting enough to make it compelling.

I don't think that they fired too many wives at the end of season 4. Except for Jill and maybe Alex, was there anyone who got the boot that we're still clamoring to see more of? Kelly is actually nuts. Cindy is boring. Jill's ego and manipulation ruined the show. And they wanted to keep Alex, but demote her to a friend and she played hardball and got fired.

I think the time between seasons was a killer, especially since Bethenny's spin off was airing and being a constant reminder of how good NY can be.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I didn't think either OC or BH had ratings that were particularly close to Atlanta. I thought that OC and BH are in a dead heat for second in terms of ratings, but that Atlanta basically laps everything else on Bravo. Atlanta is still the highest rated show on Bravo. And I could have sworn that I've seen some ratings for Atlanta season 7 that included DVR that was just shy of 5 million.

It's funny how we fixate on storylines on the other franchises, but on Atlanta the women can basically do nothing and it's really watchable. Last season Cynthia's storyline was a sunglasses line, growing estrangement from Peter, and being Kenya's designated friend. Kandi was pregnant and fighting with Phaedra. Phaedra was on her own because Apollo was in prison and she was fighting with Kandi and Todd. Sheree and Kenya had unfinished houses. Kenya had a "boyfriend" and "tried" to talk with her mom. Porsha was there. Kim Fields needed to pay off her taxes, directed a 'mercial, and promised to never associate with these people again. Nene showed up to be friends with Cynthia again. The Atlanta storylines are just as boring as any other franchise, but the women are interesting enough to make it compelling.

I don't think that they fired too many wives at the end of season 4. Except for Jill and maybe Alex, was there anyone who got the boot that we're still clamoring to see more of? Kelly is actually nuts. Cindy is boring. Jill's ego and manipulation ruined the show. And they wanted to keep Alex, but demote her to a friend and she played hardball and got fired.

I think the time between seasons was a killer, especially since Bethenny's spin off was airing and being a constant reminder of how good NY can be.

I worded it poorly Atlanta is number 1 and OC and BH are neck and neck for second a very distant second.  Thanks for the correction.

Atlanta's strength is their willingness to constantly "throw shade" at each other.  They are without equal in that department.  Their ratings are dropping however from a high in Season 7 of 3.1 to last season's 2.8.  They have had some stellar single episode ratings.  Like the rest of the shows they need to bring on someone interesting because Porsha being dumb, Kandi and Todd's businesses, Kenya's family storyline are stale.  I don't even understand why Phaedra is on.  The two franchises that saw increases in ratings were OC and Season 8 NY primarily because they brought on fresh meat in Shannon and Dorinda.   

I guess when people did the autopsy of why the Seasons 5 & 6 tanked they took a look at the big change.  To me they should have fired either Kelly and Jill or Alex and Jill, although looking back Alex didn't really bring a lot to the show, and when she tried to amp things up it came off as fairly forced.  I always liked her but no one ever really cared about what she and Simon were doing and the fact they were the couple that relied on RHONY for their existence became more and  more obvious. 

I didn't realize Alex was offered a friend of position. . . silly rabbit should have run with it.  The following season when they knocked Luann's apple out of her hand she ended up making more money than had she been a regular cast member-and I don't think anyone cared if she was in the opening credits or not.  She was involved in every trip and had some really great scenes.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I didn't realize Alex was offered a friend of position. . . silly rabbit should have run with it.

You know in one of the first books Andy Cohen wrote (I've only listened to the one) he described a OC husband calling and begging.  Timing says it was probably Slade Smiley.  He then describes a earlier call from a husband where the husband was literally crying and this was their only income and they had banked everything on it.  Timing and the fact that he indicated the other coast said that it was Simon.  Andy's advice ws don't quit your day job.  This isn't a job where you retire in 30 years.  It's a tv show and can be gone tomorrow.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

You know in one of the first books Andy Cohen wrote (I've only listened to the one) he described a OC husband calling and begging.  Timing says it was probably Slade Smiley.  He then describes a earlier call from a husband where the husband was literally crying and this was their only income and they had banked everything on it.  Timing and the fact that he indicated the other coast said that it was Simon.  Andy's advice ws don't quit your day job.  This isn't a job where you retire in 30 years.  It's a tv show and can be gone tomorrow.

I just wish they would run with that sentiment more often.  I remember at various points in time Andy mentioning Slade and Simon both making a lot of suggestions about new shows-featuring them.  Slade I think got one.  At this point why is Ramona on?  To respond to all the parts of her life she doesn't want to talk about?  To coach the others in nonsensical apologies? 

At this point I am inclined to believe Jill Zarin this franchise has a difficult time trying to find fresh meat.  Season 7 was all about product launches so everyone had to launch a product or a book, this season was all about Tom.  So it is either going to be an infomercial (most likely for Bethenny) or this group trying to convince us that Sonja and Dorinda can get along, or Carole can retain Bethenny's friendship and little else.  I don't see Luann and her husband (if they get married) being much of a part of the show.   

• Love 4
On 10/2/2016 at 9:42 PM, Neeners said:

• I totally forgot about the Christmas band that went from the girl's singing Jingle Bells, to them singing out, "I want to F* you in the ass!"

This was EASILY my favorite scene of this franchise ever. Thank you for reminding me of it!

• Love 2

I know a lot of people that stopped watching when Alex was fired...for some reason...she was like that kid who got bullied for being different from the other kids...and you rooted for them to stand up for themsekves..even if they werent going to succeed.

Atlanta is too much throwing shade...i dont like the show and i thibk porsha/kenya need to go..both bring nothing to the plate.  In fact, after the reunion fight..both should have been fired because both were in the wrong.  I felt like andy cohen/bravo rewarded them by keeping them on.

I think kelly should have been let go after season 3...her breakdown on Scary island should have been the element to release her from the show.  I do think when kelly kept saying thst she was forced to go and Andy denying it...i think it was her breaking the 4th wall a bit..imho

• Love 6

On 10/7/2016 at 10:37 AM, zoeysmom said:

You know in one of the first books Andy Cohen wrote (I've only listened to the one) he described a OC husband calling and begging.  Timing says it was probably Slade Smiley.  He then describes a earlier call from a husband where the husband was literally crying and this was their only income and they had banked everything on it. 

Poor Simon would insist with the excessive emphasis associated with prevarication that he NEVER, EVER begged for Alex's job. They were uncomfortable to watch because they are too fragile for reality television. Both of them devoted obsessive efforts to convince the viewers through interviews (with anyone remotely associated with the media who would answer their pleas for an audience), tweets, and blogs that they were completely misrepresented by "editing" on the show.

LuAnn reclaimed her apple because she primarily adheres to the  adage: "Never excuse, never explain, never complain".

I hope they hope have found contentment without  reality television  in Australia.

Edited by grayson
  • Love 5

I thought Simon and Alex had moved on to Australia-apparently not she is talking about "them" voting in the upcoming US election. 

I always felt bad Sonja kicked them out of the gay marriage rally.  They had a passion for that issue and there was plenty of room for all of them. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I thought Simon and Alex had moved on to Australia-apparently not she is talking about "them" voting in the upcoming US election. 

I always felt bad Sonja kicked them out of the gay marriage rally.  They had a passion for that issue and there was plenty of room for all of them. 

As long as the are US citizens and registeted they can vote no matter they live.

• Love 11
On 10/9/2016 at 4:11 PM, zoeysmom said:

Agreed---that was the one and only time I genuinely hated Sonja; I thought she acted like a fame-hungry bitch that day. Yes, Simon was obnoxious and being extra pushy, but he was also very passionate about the cause and at least wanted a moment to offer some supportive words; unfortunately Sonja was in full on caburlesque/"it's all about ME and performing for my gays" mode and selfishly refused to share her spotlight for even a few minutes. It just felt ununsually cruel and pompous, especially for an otherwise sweet, sensitive and gleefully campy HW like her otherwise. In her slightest defense though, maybe she was already drunk by then and was unable to sanely deal with rainbow-sequined Simon anymore. 

Speaking of unable to sanely deal, I saw Kelly Bensimon's new book at the library last week and couldn't help but check it out---I'm a sucker for sexy modern Manhattan chick-lit, and figured that much like RHoNYC, her first attempt at fiction would be a wacky dose of brain candy. I'm already halfway through it and am pleasantly surprised by how well the book is actually written! It's fast-paced and action-packed, with decent character-development and glam details. Some of it does sound halfway autobiographical((the lead character is a former teen model who met and quickly married a much older successful artist upon moving to NYC, she's friends with vapid socialites and fashionistas, one of which is hoping to be on a reality show, etc.))...the book mentions that it was written "with" another known author, whom I'm assuming is the actual ghost writer behind the entire book because it's wayyy too coherently and cleverly written to have come out of that bubblehead's babbling brain.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Agreed---that was the one and only time I genuinely hated Sonja; I thought she acted like a fame-hungry bitch that day. Yes, Simon was obnoxious and being extra pushy, but he was also very passionate about the cause and at least wanted a moment to offer some supportive words; unfortunately Sonja was in full on caburlesque/"it's all about ME and performing for my gays" mode and selfishly refused to share her spotlight for even a few minutes. It just felt ununsually cruel and pompous, especially for an otherwise sweet, sensitive and gleefully campy HW like her otherwise. 

I had kind of forgotten about all that.  But your post sums up my feelings about the whole thing perfectly, Sun-Bun.  That was really a low moment on the show for me.  Such an important cause and Sonja just couldn't share the spotlight with her co-stars who sincerely cared about the issue.  It took me a long time to forgive her for that.

I really miss Simon and Alex.  For all their phoniness and posturing, they brought a note of reality to this show that has never been replicated - they represented a very real group of people who don't actually fit in to fancy-ish NYC society, and can't afford to if they did ... but damned if they don't scramble to fake it.  Watching them try to convince everyone they were high-society worth was amusing as hell! 

• Love 11

For years I've said that Sonja needs to find a ghostwriter and pen a series of slightly autobiographical chick-lit novels. It's perfect for Sonja because she has no problem taking credit for shit she did not do and she loves to be the center of attention.

Everytime people say that they think that Sonja is basically harmless, they should remember what she pulled with the gay marriage rally. Sonja's ego was so out of control that she prevented actual allies from participating and supporting a charitable cause. If she actually cared, she wouldn't have done that. This is the same narcissism that motivated her movie scam.

I hope that Alex and Simon are happy in Australia. Bravo wanted to keep Alex on as friend of because she would have served as a bridge between the vets and the new women. If Alex had been able to structure her contract correctly, she could have ended up with the same salary and dropped her obligation to host an event. Alex and Simon were always sort of trying to hard and desperate, but I think if they were around more grounded people they probably would have stopped trying to keep up with LuAnn, Jill, and Ramona.

• Love 8
On 4/5/2015 at 5:45 PM, glowlights said:

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly... "in the trenches" lol I have a theory about Kelly and it started with the scene where she tells Bethenny "I'm up here, you're down there". I actually don't think she meant it in terms of social sphere, but the problem for Kelly is that (according to my armchair theory) she lacks whatever wiring is required for one human being to communicate (verbally or non-verbally) with another human being. Same reason she got so freaked out about the gift bags - handing out gift bags wasn't on her agenda, and as it was outside her immediate mindset she was fundamentally unable to comprehend why another person might have done it. Same with ordering Alex to stop turning red, which most of us understand is an involuntary stress response. There's some sort of limitation going on with Kelly, imo, and Scary Island was sad to watch. It's a very lucky thing she was born with looks to trade on.

This is something I agree with. I also think a lot of the behavior that has been used to judge her as mean and snobbish also has to do with her social limitations (and other limitations that I think go a little beyond just social quirks). I recognized it A LOT and I also recognized how, when she was not overwhelmed or anxious she did have a rather pleasant demeanor and low key mannerisms. The harsh parts of her personality came across to me as a mash up of inabilities to apply the appropriate amount of intensity to whatever reaction she was having. If she was feeling uncomfortable then she's either trying extra to selling the Kelly world gummy bears hippie mood in order to just ward off bad vibes she's fearing coming her way. Or if it's gone beyond that then she'll just use her status as push back if she feels someone is trying to speak down to her therefore asserting her own worth because she's probably fighting an inward insecurity issue in that same moment. I just think that I never saw any of her aggressive behaviors as just straight up reactions to anything. I always saw some awkward wheels turning whether it be her trying to manuver through the ladies gossiping about a topic she didn't want to engage in or whether she was on the defense about something or if she was confused about where something was going. It's like no matter what there was this stilted, or hesitant or not completely seemless expression of words, actions or behaviors coming from her.

It never truly seemed like she was having a natural response to something. And I think that made it all seem worse than it was. Her inability to read a room or pick the right words or sentiment in order to counter or express whatever she needed to in any given situation. The reason why I was more on Kelly's side and still am is that the only time where she seemed comfortable and completely at ease, where her responses seemed effortless and not guarded at all was during some really non-chalant, non threatening atmospheres and she seemed more good natured, flowed with the other women rather comfortably. Now mind you she still had confused moments. She's not quick which I'm sure is a big reason why she has her terrible come backs and timing. People who live a life as the one that doesn't get it are treated cruelly and mocked. Eventually defenses are created and unfortunately due to the same limitations that keep them from being quick on the uptake it hinders their abilities to effectively defend oneself. It's usually a very sloppy and overboard attempts that sound even worse and disjointed than the initial "blond moment" moment.  Then that's when the mocking continues and the excuses for confirming the initial slight progresses into, "you see, she cray cray didn't I tell you" cause then more material is provided. Vicious cycle.  I know.

I think she had to deal with that growing up as well as in her adult life and after a live filled with some pretty cool accomplishments and ending up in the social scene she ended up in I think she may carry a bit of a chip on her shoulder for anyone who tries to put her back in that dumb as a box of rocks place. I think that as her career as a model got to where it got, her marriage to such a widely famous photographer and being a pretty good mom she thought gone were the days of her having to feel less than cause she's doesn't always get it. Add the fact that at her age I'm pretty sure she had to learn what type of personalities didn't go well with her anxieties (I did it and let me tell you its awesome to mature and realize that you can choose your atmosphere and company instead of wishing you wouldn't be so "weird", knowing you can fill your world with people who are kinder and more understanding to who you are is one of the best perks of aging and maturing) her having to be smack dab in the middle of this recipe? Wow, I have a feeling that Kelly thought she had a handle on her life, thought that she's no stranger to social settings and entertainment so she didn't quite feel threatened with the idea of joining a reality show. Once she realized it's basis was pretty much the kinds of things she dreaded then that where I think the thread started to unravel.

Call me crazy but I saw when that thread started to fray and watched it unravel with each stupid poke from Beth and some of the others. One thing I couldn't stand was the deliberate obtuseness of the women acting as if they didn't know that they should leave certain shit alone cause it had nothing to do with anything. Like when everyone wanted to make an issue of Kelly misspeaking when she was trying to sale Lemonade out of Lemons or when they were in the car and Beth just had to correct Kelly about the gummy bears. I mean geez I hate that type of faux OMG it's sooooooooo crazy that Kelly said this but then right after ate a gummy bear. Yeah, yeah got it but it's the exaggerated nonsense that I found uncalled for. And that right there is the type of behaviors that triggers the self conscious defenses that sound even worse than the original misstep.

I always cringed cause I always felt like Kelly was walking through mindfields especially when she was interacting with Beth. Beth may not have planted them all but girl when Kelly tripped up on one all by herself she was always there to make the most of it and share with the rest. Just like this season.

• Love 8
On 4/21/2015 at 1:46 PM, Box305 said:

It also seems like she can't process what some people are saying. Like my brother doesn't get sarcasm or exaggeration a lot of times and it has led to knock down, drag out fights with my mom because it's honestly like trying to talk to a wall. He just doesn't understand it and can't be reasoned with. He will try to shut us down and stop us from talking during arguments, especially when he's not getting what we're trying to say to him. I saw some of that kind of behavior in Kelly when she was at the table in the purple dress. 

See that's the kind of stuff I noticed. Things that should have been handled with a bit more awareness at the least and not just impatience and cruelty.

My guess is that Kelly too has had similar experiences like your brother hence her references to Kelly land and things being positive. She knows she needs patient and at least forgiving people around her and at the very least people with some awareness about what is really going on so that they don't just arbitrarily assign her nasty and mean labels just because they are frustrated with her frustrations.

I really did feel bad for her cause I don't think she really is a mean or bad person. I just think it gets to her and it manifests into outrageous reactions with a variety of emotions. dismissal, defensive, overly positive, overreaction, frustration, etc. etc. Some reactions aren't going to be nice and some are going to seem completely unhinged.

• Love 5

I think a while back some people were saying on various message boards that they believed Kelly might be on the autism spectrum, like high-level Aspergers that remains undiagnosed---given her tendency to not seemingly understand various social situations and subtleties, yet still be able to capably function and even thrive on her own in her upper echelon Manhattan social circles, I'm beginning to wonder that myself. Perhaps the reason she would blurt out seemingly bitchy/blunt retorts or flitter in and out of various parties and events without partaking of deeper conversations and emotional confrontations is for that very reason: people higher up on the spectrum often share these tendencies as well.

Or maybe she really is just craycray a'la Kelly Dodd from RHoOC this season((who comes off like the mean drunk version of Kelly Bensimon)).

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 6

Sun-Bun, I agree with your first paragraph. I just thought she was nuts when I first started watching her but now believe she's suffering from Asperger's Syndrome. I remember when she had a Halloween (?) party and was an hour and a half late. Some of her guests had already left. I thought "Who does that?!"  and now I know. Of course, the tip off was when she drifted into and then out of parties, openings, fashion shows, etc saying "Hiyeee" but nothing else. It seemed as if she couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone which is certainly a hallmark of Aspergers. Now I just feel sorry for her and her children. Of course, she'd never admit that she has this syndrome or perhaps she doesn't even know. Do those of you who have experience with people suffering from this syndrome have more to offer? I'd really like to understand more about this.

• Love 2

I've worked with teenagers all over the Autism spectrum, and it really just varies on a case-by-case level. Some of them are very aware of being "different" and were raised by parents who let them know about their situations. Others either don't get it or refuse to understand it and live in their happy little bubbles---I think Kelly would definitely fall into the latter category and I'm willing to bet that she remains undiagnosed, especially given her age((autism wasn't as known or as studied back when she was younger in the 70's-early 80's)) and how quickly she was forced to grow up and go into modeling.

From what I've learned over the years, there are *many* undiagnosed Aspergers cases who are usually in fields like IT, but Daryl Hannah is one of the rare cases of a mature female working in a creative field who was actually diagnosed with autism as an adult. People wrongfully thought of her as vapid or stupid or aloof too, when really, that was just symptomatic of her natural disorder---so maybe behind Kelly's seemingly inane babblings and repeated random phrases(("Al Sharpton!")) and her claims of living a happy jelly bean/gummy bear hippie life, it's just her natural makeup due to this disorder. It'd sure explain a lot of her odder behaviors.

• Love 3

I think regardless her children seem fine and she's carved out a comfortable existence for herself. I don't really see what's wrong with that. It seemed at worse she "annoyed" others. I really kinda hate how being annoying or causing superficial aggravations is somehow equivalent to being an evil person and therefore cruelty is an acceptable retaliation. It seems to be the go to recipe on all the franchises. Even if it's just that she's odd and self conscious and has built a safe place of less anxiety in her social spectrum why is that wrong? I mean, sure it may cause outsiders a reason to give a side eye or roll their eyes or have their blood pressures rise a bit but at the same time don't we all have to live in a world where we adjust to those around us or at least are subjected to those around us? I think Kelly takes plenty of lumps due to this so I feel like the rest of us who have to manage dealing with the world around us, including the nuisances should understand that Kelly also deals with those types of nuisances as well.  Probably more so because of whatever it is that ails her. Even if it's not some official condition. I don't think she skips around unaffected so to me that puts her on even ground with the rest of us. It's not like she's getting away with bothering people while not feeling any repercussions at all over her behavior.  I think she should be allowed to be herself the same way the others felt they should be allowed to vocalize their grievances even though most of them could have been handled maturely and not as cruelly as they chose.

Now of course it's a reality show but on every thread of every franchise there's drama and then there's cruel and I'm always calling out how I find it so unnecessary. Why people act like one can't go without the other is beyond me also I don't think that being on a reality show all of a sudden keeps you from being able to assert your own free will and go NOPE, this sort of behavior I'm not engaging in. Not doing it. Reality TV doesn't HAVE TO mean discarding ALL morality. It's doesn't mean you HAVE TO engage in such low tactics. I'm always annoyed at the idea that these women can't just say they don't care for some of the cruelty and decide not to engage. It doesn't have to mean they've dug their own grave and lost their paycheck. It just means maybe they have decided they will try to bring their own drama in another way. It's like the women go for the easy nugget instead of taking a stand and finding a different direction to go in while maintaining their position on the show. 

Even at my job that I need VERY much. If there was something I found something morally reprehensible I would easily refuse to comply and I'm a single mom living hand to mouth. These women are far from destitute. The worse these women fear if they lose their apple is downgrading their lifestyles. They aren't trading in their UES keys for a shopping cart,  newspaper blankets and a bench in central park. So yeah, I don't think "why should the women risk losing THEIR JOBS just to be nice to a person who has exhibited unstable behavior" is really an excuse I plan on buying. It never works for me cause unless this job is the difference from having food, shelter and clothing and NOT having food, shelter and clothing AT ALL then the option to choose acting humanely over being cruel fucked up individuals is ALWAYS available in my book.. (non ghost written)

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

In season one, Avery auditioned for a Meryl Streep film. Does anyone know which film it was?

I don't think we ever knew what it was. If NY premiered March 2008 maybe the movie was from one in 2007-8. Didn't Doubt have a bunch of schoolgirls in it?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, riffraff said:

I had to come here to find out wth was wrong with Kelly. She was acting so crazy on the girls trip. Is she really like that in real life?? Was it just for the show?? I have so many questions. 

I think we can safely say that this is officially the biggest mystery of this entire series thus far: what the Hell happened to Kelly on Scary Island?!

Many would say she had a mental breakdown, whereas Kelly went on the record as claiming she had a "breakthrough." Some speculated that maybe some medication/alcohol went down the wrong way((Adderall?)), others just believe the poor woman is simply that naturally nutty. I personally think she's mentally stunted from her teenage modeling years and has cruised by in life getting taken care of by her much older ex-husband and other social connections; she probably cracked under the pressure of filming for some long hours in the hot island sun with a bunch of bitches she didn't like anyway. Sonja, of all people, once noted that Kelly lives in her own happy little world of unicorns and gummy bears, and I tend to believe it as well---must be nice to basically be a sheltered kept woman who relies on vanity fluff jobs and a nice divorce settlement/child support to keep her jelly bean fantasy life fabulously stress-free.

The thing I find odd about Kelly is how she's always praised in the press as being this gorgeous, hot model---I always have found her to be a hot t***** mess((maybe she looks much better in person than in pics?)). She's too overly tan and leathery looking, her wonky boob job and square torso just look weird, and she comes off as almost mannish in her voice and features. I also wish she'd wear lipstick, at least---she might look less Kaitlyn Jenner-esque if she'd add some color to her usual drab brown look.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 7
On 31/12/2016 at 9:48 AM, Sun-Bun said:

I think we can safely say that this is officially the biggest mystery of this entire series thus far: what the Hell happened to Kelly on Scary Island?!

Many would say she had a mental breakdown, whereas Kelly went on the record as claiming she had a "breakthrough." Some speculated that maybe some medication/alcohol went down the wrong way((Adderall?)), others just believe the poor woman is simply that naturally nutty. I personally think she's mentally stunted from her teenage modeling years and has cruised by in life getting taken care of by her much older ex-husband and other social connections; she probably cracked under the pressure of filming for some long hours in the hot island sun with a bunch of bitches she didn't like anyway. Sonja, of all people, once noted that Kelly lives in her own happy little world of unicorns and gummy bears, and I tend to believe it as well---must be nice to basically be a sheltered kept woman who relies on vanity fluff jobs and a nice divorce settlement/child support to keep her jelly bean fantasy life fabulously stress-free.

The thing I find odd about Kelly is how she's always praised in the press as being this gorgeous, hot model---I always have found her to be a hot t***** mess((maybe she looks much better in person than in pics?)). She's too overly tan and leathery looking, her wonky boob job and square torso just look weird, and she comes off as almost mannish in her voice and features. I also wish she'd wear lipstick, at least---she might look less Kaitlyn Jenner-esque if she'd add some color to her usual drab brown look.

OK here is my theory. I was extremely shy from a very young age and even now. Though I have overcome it by forcing myself to be in social situations. I'm watching season 4 and while she is still weird. Kelly seems more coherent. I think Bethanny freaked her out. Bethanny has a very strong and confident personality.  I find myself, if I am around people that are very confident, I studder and act a certain way. It's a confidence thing. It just amazes me that you can have all the money in the world and fricking Bethanny can make you a mumbling fool. 

I think Kelly is a harsher looking Elizabeth Hurley. And seriously who is Sonia to talk about unicorns and rainbows.  I like her, but she is living in delusion as well. In season 4 she is bowing down to Ramona like Ramona is the queen of New York. And her toaster oven cookbook? I have never cooked with a toaster oven. Just be sexy and get a rich guy Sonia.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, riffraff said:

It's a confidence thing. It just amazes me that you can have all the money in the world and fricking Bethanny can make you a mumbling fool. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. Kelly didn't have any previous problems putting people in their place.

She was plenty confident to do this to our little Bethy:

giphy.gif

a previous season.

And I can't resist this jog down memory lane:

giphy.gif

• Love 4

I'm re-watching Season 2 on Hulu. After the first three episodes, here are random thoughts:

*This is the Jill and Bethenny people knew and loved. First of all, shallow note, I think Bethenny looks gorgeous. Second, Jill has idiosyncrasies that make her neurotic but also make her a really good friend: She wants to know everything about everyone, she wants to include everyone as long as she's cool with them, and she's very protective. Also, she asks if she has something in her teeth before a phone conversation which is just kind of funny.

*Kelly seems strangely shoehorned, but they went out of their way to make her connections with the women as normal as possible, and her connection with LuAnn via the equestrian world worked.

*Alex and Simon: I just caaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn't. Episode 1 is all about Simon and Jill fighting each other in the press and when Alex is confronted, she tells Bethenny, "Why, yes, I am pissed" and the entire time she has this frozen Stepford wife smile on her face. Contrast this with Ramona, who is so awful that she tries to talk to Gov. Paterson about how she is blind, too. Is this awful? Yes. Is this THE REAL RAMONA SINGER AND WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET? Hell yes. And I find that oddly preferable. In later years, Carole Radziwill would have a similar reaction when making friends with Ramona.

*This may be my projecting because I am an average-looking 30-year-old gay man in a sea of beautiful club kids, but Brad is annoying as all hell and I fail to find any redeeming qualities that we see in the show. He's not funny or witty like Bethenny is, and we never get to find out anything about his personal life that makes him interesting. You also get the vibe that Bethenny doesn't care for him, either.

*The conversation between Bethenny and Gloria was very sweet and real and I wonder if when Bethenny and Jill "broke up", for lack of a better term, Bethenny mourned the loss of Bobby and Gloria as well.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 4

Yeah, I'm watching a few moments here & there of the marathon today.  Funny how my opinion has changed on NONE of them.  Aviva was ridiculously nasty, vicious & just downright annoying as hell.  Josh was a dickhead thru & thru.  Kristen was basically a nice gal, extremely pretty but mostly dull.  And while I liked Heather & really could relate to her, as leader of the pack of this crew, she wasn't cutting it.  The show was sorta lacking something.  Did it need Satan Bethenny's relentlessly evil cruelty & horribleness to boost ratings?  Hey, even shoving razor blades under my finger nails, nobody could ever get me to say that.

In answer to the above comments about Kells, I have seen her a few times in person.  Look, she's physically very, very, very imposing.  She's a massively tall & large woman.  First time I saw her was in Soho -- and shit, it scared the absolute hell outta me.  I'm fairly big myself & I'm a man -- but fuck, I crossed the street fast when I noticed her.  And it was a big street (Broadway).  OK, maybe it was partly (mostly) cuz of the unbalanced way I saw her behave on the show -- but it was also her physical presence too.

But here's the weird thing about Kells.  She has custody of her daughters & she seems like an extremely responsible & good mother.  So to completely dismiss Kelly as a lunatic, while easy to do (based on her behavior on the show), is probably not accurate.  A friend of mine worked for a short time at AM NY, where Kelly did (or maybe still does, I have no idea) write a column.  He was her boss & had to deal with her.  He said mostly everything she did was by phone or email so she was almost never in the office, but when she was, all staff were terrified of her -- even tho he said she was friendly, nice & very soft-spoken.  My friend hated working with her.  He said she could be quite nasty & she hated being edited, even tho (he said) her writing ability was awful.

• Love 3

I forgot how much I loved the Berkshire episodes. They were just fun. Well, except for wine glass hitting Kristen in the face. 

Sonja asking that kid if he was on Christian mingle .Com, made me laugh so hard. And when she says Lu 's face is banged up.... I started choking on my coffee Iol. 

Heather will always be my favorite housewife. Maybe because she's so unlike the rest of the other housewives. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2016 at 11:20 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I really miss Simon and Alex.  For all their phoniness and posturing, they brought a note of reality to this show that has never been replicated - they represented a very real group of people who don't actually fit in to fancy-ish NYC society, and can't afford to if they did ... but damned if they don't scramble to fake it.  

On 10/14/2016 at 8:51 AM, Yours Truly said:

Now of course it's a reality show but on every thread of every franchise there's drama and then there's cruel and I'm always calling out how I find it so unnecessary. Why people act like one can't go without the other is beyond me also I don't think that being on a reality show all of a sudden keeps you from being able to assert your own free will and go NOPE, this sort of behavior I'm not engaging in. Not doing it. Reality TV doesn't HAVE TO mean discarding ALL morality. It's doesn't mean you HAVE TO engage in such low tactics. I'm always annoyed at the idea that these women can't just say they don't care for some of the cruelty and decide not to engage. It doesn't have to mean they've dug their own grave and lost their paycheck. It just means maybe they have decided they will try to bring their own drama in another way. It's like the women go for the easy nugget instead of taking a stand and finding a different direction to go in while maintaining their position on the show. 

Even at my job that I need VERY much. If there was something I found something morally reprehensible I would easily refuse to comply and I'm a single mom living hand to mouth. These women are far from destitute. The worse these women fear if they lose their apple is downgrading their lifestyles. They aren't trading in their UES keys for a shopping cart,  newspaper blankets and a bench in central park. So yeah, I don't think "why should the women risk losing THEIR JOBS just to be nice to a person who has exhibited unstable behavior" is really an excuse I plan on buying. It never works for me cause unless this job is the difference from having food, shelter and clothing and NOT having food, shelter and clothing AT ALL then the option to choose acting humanely over being cruel fucked up individuals is ALWAYS available in my book.. (non ghost written)

Both these posts sort of touch on what I'm feeling while watching S3 right now. I always felt bad for Alex b/c no matter what antics she & Simon were up to nether of them were ever cruel.  Seeing Luann, Ramona and Jill completely eviscerate Alex when they're not busy dismissing her reminds me why I've never been invested in the happiness of the three women. Along with Sonja they helped propel the "I'm up here" attitude so much more than Kelly's rantings ever could. I know some viewers & critics say people view RH as an aspirational exercise but I'm not  sure that's true for most of us who post frequently here. I think we get caught up in the relationships; that makes it difficult to stomach when as @Yours Truly stated many of these women choose to tear each other apart when they have absolutely no cause to do so.

I try to be empathetic towards the situation some of the cast members are facing. It absolutely sucks to be in your 40's and have the direction and circumstances of your life change abruptly (due to divorce, death in the family, illness, financial woes). But to attempt recovery from these situations by insisting to everyone how very, very smart, important, rich or sophisticated you are while excoriating whomever you perceive is in your way at a given moment is not a way to rebuild your life. What's to gain? A seat closer to Andy on the couch?       

6 hours ago, imjagain said:

Heather will always be my favorite housewife. Maybe because she's so unlike the rest of the other housewives. 

I thought I always liked Heather but watching the Montana episode I forgot how hard she came after Kristen (and I did not really enjoy watching Kristen upon second viewing) during that geocaching thing. It's that kind of battle-to-the-death when absolutely nothing is at stake that takes me out of the show.

Other notes on a RHNY re-watch: The four seasons of Jill perfectly epitomizes what fame does to a certain kind of woman who does this show: generosity becomes a weapon, family members become props, friends & acquaintances become chess pieces. All that's left is a not particularly watchable middle-aged woman with a cartoon-like mean girl personality. Also, I'm not necessarily crediting Jason with this but Bethenny looks freaking beautiful during season 3. SHE"S SMILING. Take a look at where a million dollar contract takes you five years later and I'd think about saying no thanks. 

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 5

I wouldn't call Bethenny a beauty, even back then.  The prob with her, is that even tho she is attractive, her obvious misery fucks up her looks terribly.  My best friend lives a block away from her old Tribeca joint & he used to see her all the time.  He said she was NEVER without a sneering , angry (really scary) look on her mug.  I've seen her a few times lately & she still goes around with that same sneering miserable look on her mug, even with all her dough.  Ew.

I liked the season 6 group too.  Didn't miss Jillzy one bit.  I missed Alex & Simon a bit.  Simon was nasty, but he offered some eccentric weirdness the show needs.  And Alex offered up intelligence that Carole arrogantly thinks she offers, but doesn't at all.

Watching the old shows reminds me why Jillzy got the boot & why bringing her back would be a mistake.  But don't be surprised if that happens, particularly if ratings take a nosedive this coming season, as is being predicted.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I wouldn't call Bethenny a beauty, even back then.  The prob with her, is that even tho she is attractive, her obvious misery fucks up her looks terribly.  My best friend lives a block away from her old Tribeca joint & he used to see her all the time.  He said she was NEVER without a sneering , angry (really scary) look on her mug.  I've seen her a few times lately & she still goes around with that same sneering miserable look on her mug, even with all her dough.  Ew.

I liked the season 6 group too.  Didn't miss Jillzy one bit.  I missed Alex & Simon a bit.  Simon was nasty, but he offered some eccentric weirdness the show needs.  And Alex offered up intelligence that Carole arrogantly thinks she offers, but doesn't at all.

Watching the old shows reminds me why Jillzy got the boot & why bringing her back would be a mistake.  But don't be surprised if that happens, particularly if ratings take a nosedive this coming season, as is being predicted.

S3 to me was an example of someone's inner beauty shining through (and I CANNOT believe I'm typing this about Bethenny). Whether it was a pregnancy glow, getting it on the regular and properly from Jason or the 30 extra pounds it totally worked for her. I do agree when I look at her now the first thing I see is anger. 

Watching Carole over the past few days I am mystified why I ever thought she was smart. She seems like she's trying to be flighty for show. She's just weird and wears nightgowns to go hiking and she says she has a dog but the dog lives in California? I can't with her.

I appreciate those who have a more charitable POV regarding Kelly than my own. She may be wired in a way that makes communication challenging, however her constant posturing belies any issues she may have. Every time she is warm or open there are either other cameras around (public events not associated with the show) or there are men in the room. If she's alone with the HWs she is combative, boastful, dishonest, competitive and mean. Also, she's a lying liar who lies and makes Sonja & Luann look like bastions of truth and clarity.

Also - Cort is still the creepiest. Between him & Rey Luann has no business ever criticizing anyone's romantic choices. 

• Love 6

Well, it's not just your opinion -- B looked pretty good back then.  She seemed to carry her bitterness & anger much less outwardly then.  And I actually forgot she could be funny.  I really did.  Now all she gives is cruelty & nastiness & endless grudges, along with zero sense of humor & stale unfunny comments.  Yech.

I'm looking at lunatic Kells sitting on the reunion couch, shaking so violently (and oddly non-stop) one of her tightly-crossed muscular orange man-legs.  She still scares the shit outta me thru my TV.  Hey, can anyone blame me that I tore ass to get away from her, when I spotted her walking along?  Seriously, I crossed Broadway immediately, against a red light & made a speeding cab come to screeching halt.  That's how badly I wanted to get away from her.  Ugh.

Lord help me, Moaner is really a horrible woman, but watching her tickles me.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

1979! Al Sharpton! Kabuki DEMONS! OMG BETHANY WAS LITERALLY STABBING ME!

I know we shouldn't mock someone's breakdown on tv... but here I am, reserving that seat in Hell.

I'll join you on that speeding bobsled.

• Love 2

I always felt bad for Alex b/c no matter what antics she & Simon were up to nether of them were ever cruel.

Chick Binewski - Simon and Alex were actually disturbingly passive-aggressive at times. Simon referred to LuAnn as "the countess without the 'o'" which may not be cruel, but is certainly puerile and crude. Alex made slanderous references to Kelley's mental state and intelligence for years following the island misadventure and after both of them were fired. Alex had insisted with high dudgeon that Jill's comment to the NY Post about Simon's excessive alcohol consumption was potentially damaging to his career, but she had no concern for Kelley's reputation when she told Us magazine that Bensimon was "was much more [crazy] in real life" on the island.

Their comments were not made directly to LuAnn or Kelley, which was ironic when Simon later took umbrage because Bethenny's remark about his excessive drinking was not made "to his face".

Edited by grayson
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Also - Cort is still the creepiest. Between him & Rey Luann has no business ever criticizing anyone's romantic choices. 

Oh Coerte. At the time, he had just been named one of Gotham Magazine's 100 most eligible bachelors. But, I'm sure he was "dating" LuAnn so that he promote his latest book.

http://www.hamptons.com/mobile//The-Arts/Top-Stories/9447/Hamptons.com-Talks-With-Author-Coerte-V.-W..html#.WNR_CJ9OnqA

• Love 4

1979! Al Sharpton! Kabuki DEMONS! OMG BETHANY WAS LITERALLY STABBING ME!

Don't forget those predatory gift bags...

Plus, if nothing else, we learned what the difference is between a cook and a chef.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 11