Type keyword(s) to search

Memory Lane: Seasons 1-5

• Start Topic

It's times like this I wish I had a DVR because I'd love to see all of the Scary Island episodes again.  I think there are three total.

What I remember:

First Episode: Kelly walking into the door on the boat

Second Episode:  The Dinner  "GO TO SLEEP!  GO TO SLEEP!"  

Third Episode:  HHHiiiiiii !!!!!  (Or was it hello?)  Guess I'll have to watch again!

SIDENOTE:  I LOVED, LOVED that place where they stayed!!!!  As soon as it aired the first time, I went online and checked it out.  It rented for $8,000-$10,000 a week.  But then I thought, well, if you get a GROUP together, it could be affordable .. ALL the photos were gorgeous.  

That place is on my bucket list.

• Love 3

What I remember:

First Episode: Kelly walking into the door on the boat

Second Episode: The Dinner "GO TO SLEEP! GO TO SLEEP!"

Third Episode: HHHiiiiiii !!!!! (Or was it hello?) Guess I'll have to watch again!

SIDENOTE: I LOVED, LOVED that place where they stayed!!!! As soon as it aired the first time, I went online and checked it out. It rented for $8,000-$10,000 a week. But then I thought, well, if you get a GROUP together, it could be affordable .. ALL the photos were gorgeous.

That place is on my bucket list.

That place was amazing! Let's do it! I think it had 5 bedrooms so if you got 5 couples it would be about $1000 per person. Expensive as hell, but doable. PTV Field Trip! Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 2

I had the pleasure of staying in a villa like that, rented in high season for $10,000 per week, (we got it thru a friend of a friend and it was a bargain but no staff) it was amazing and strangely it turned in to scary island too...hmmm, must be the heat.

• Love 4

Just set my DVR from my phone because THAT IS HOW EXCITED I AM!

The Scary Island episodes are scheduled for SUNDAY MORNING, starting at 6 am.  Be sure to double-check the listings.  Bravo has a habit of changing its listings at the last minute!  Once, I was all ready to watch an all-day early season RHoOC … and Andy must not have felt like watching it and switched to some unmemorable reality show long forgotten.

• Love 2

I just finished season one rewatch from Dvr. I forgot how much better it was back in the day.

Words I never thought Id say and had forgotten- at the core, they were all likable! Well, I have lots of Alex/Simon problems, but otherwise, damn this was good.

I'm an unabashed reality TV lover. I never imagined there would be a time I no longer cared about the BH Housewives. I DVRed it and could not get through two episodes. NY season one, not ashamed to admit, I paused for cocktail and restroom breaks. The whole "behind the gates" thing is what I love!

I have a high shit tolerance. I watched that show The Swan back in the day for gods sake. How and why Bravo thinks people yelling at each other is entertainment confuses me. To me, it's become akin to the VH1 shows I never watched. I hate screaming and bitching. They had such a good premise early on!

I like seeing the "xxx dollars for facial stuff" that Ramona had. It's like baby Jesus came down and blessed us with Alex and Simon and their highbrow life and dilapidated house! Her false sense of ego fulfilled a Cadbury creme egg fix. It doesn't get better than this. Hell Jill was amazing! And ole Bethenny hustling and loving the former Jason who seems completely not into her. The Countess discussed class at Ramona's dinner party! I wanted to jump in and say " you will sing about that, be divorced, then fuck a Johnny Depp pirate wannabe before it's all said and done".

This was a damn good show. It's why we all watched. Hats off most to OC but NYC brought the goods early on. What a shame.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 15

Johann face Johann face

Bethenny's home plate jowls in full blown preg in her TH

Brandi is unoriginal, before her famous string there was the one on Kelly's meal/steak

Chook

Should Simon use......light or dark cocoa... In waffles ....for the boys

Turtle Time

Hooters Yacht

HoBag

And lest I forget, Al Sharpton, gummi Bears, and satchels of gold.

"What WAS That?"

Kook-a-doodle-do

"It smells like cat pee!"  (Isn't that what meth smells like?)

Sonja: We've got to slow it down … release the anger … (IIRC)

• Love 2

I just finished season one rewatch from Dvr. I forgot how much better it was back in the day.

Words I never thought Id say and had forgotten- at the core, they were all likable!

I'm re-watching Season 1 and it totally escaped me that when LuAnn and Alex first met, they really liked each other…whereas Bethenny said of Alex, "We don't really have anything in common…and I don't need any new people in my life." 

• Love 1

"We don't really have anything in common…and I don't need any new people in my life." 

That reminds me of another scene from season 1 when Beth went to Francois' birthday party in Brooklyn.  She was inside, alone, putting together a toy and she's talking about how she has absolutely nothing in common with the poor schlubs from Brooklyn.  The camera pans to some overweight, plaid shirted adult party guests standing out by a rusty swingset.  This was way before her brand took off so even then she didn't identify with the little people.

• Love 1

Was there ever a conclusive idea of what was up with Kelly? I mean drug abuse, breakdown, psychosis, personality disorder, social phobia- a combination of all? I know they did say that the worst parts were not shown and the other women were frightened and they sent Kelly home the next day. I remember the reunion when it was awkward and Bethanney said something that made Kelly walk off for a bit. Ramona, who is normally clueless, stated that one on one Kelly is fine. Seriously, if Ramona can be astute with your social quirks that is saying something.

Jill showing up was cringe worthy. Also cringe worthy is a 50 year old woman in a skating outfit. Just put on some leggings and go. I love how they added that two minute snippet. The camera people were probably laughing their asses off. Jesus, Jill is such an attention whore. Poor Bobby. I am a reasonably attractive, educated woman, nice, friendly and not a gossiping backstabbing bitch. Jill lands a nice, co dependent millionaire. How?

I forgot how absolutely terrifying her mother Gloria was. My god if that was my mother I would have run away. Passive aggressive, critical, never pleased, bitchy. Jill comes by her attitude naturally. Allie seems like such a sweetheart. I hope she stays that way and doesn't learn from her grandma and mother

And these episodes will never come of my DVR.

• Love 6

That reminds me of another scene from season 1 when Beth went to Francois' birthday party in Brooklyn.  She was inside, alone, putting together a toy and she's talking about how she has absolutely nothing in common with the poor schlubs from Brooklyn.  The camera pans to some overweight, plaid shirted adult party guests standing out by a rusty swingset.  This was way before her brand took off so even then she didn't identify with the little people.

I don't think in her life ever Beth did not have her nose in the air. She was so quick to point out when LuAnn demanded the driver call her by her last name (which I agree with Beth-that was ridiculous) but her "hip down with the people" act was just an act. She is like Jill in a way-she wants to be in charge and queen bee. I remember how she sucked the life out of her assistant. She also is a social climber that uses people. And she has that attitude without even being a CHEF!! I do admit however, she probably thought that Simon and Alex might think to set her up with those people or become friendly with her. Never going to happen. I think this is why her talk show failed. She was fun in seasons 1-3. She is now not relate-able to the masses. Her neurosis is too apparent now.

• Love 5
I don't think in her life ever Beth did not have her nose in the air.

True. She's mentioned Ginny Hilfiger a couple of times as a friend, for one. I re-watched the episode where she and Jason #1 split up and she flees to Miami to recoup, and she mentions going to Table 8, "the hottest restaurant in Miami" (or some such superlative) run by her friend Josh. For the heck of it, I looked at Yelp and Table 8 folded within a year after the episode, so I guess it wasn't that hot after all. (If Bethenny's friend Josh is Josh Woodward, then she has a very troubled person in her circle of friends, to put it mildly...but I'm sure she's distanced herself from this.)

• Love 1

Good Lord Archer that is terrifying. Chloroform and abortion drugs? Oh Beth is probably kicking herself for saying her friend now. True though I guess you never know people. She did admit to partying as a youngster and I mean young so no telling who ran in that crowd

Pet sitting this week so I am THRILLED that Bravo is running a daily marathon of HRoNY.  Today is Season 2 with the famous … "Did they retouch?"  "You're married to an old man"  "You're living LIKE THIS?" Tomorrow starts Season 3 … with SCARY ISLAND coming Wednesday and Thursday!

• Love 3

Loving it! Alex & Simon were SO fake and wannabe social climbers (I am born and raised in NYC) ,,the whole meeting with the architect and well the inflatable pool bit was priceless lol.

Oh Jill...just go away. She is so horrible.

• Love 3

Wheeee! The Van Kempens house Reno! Good times... Such goobers those two. Wonder who bought that hot mess of a house, and if Alex is wearing her "edgy" outfits in Australia

Oh damn, I saw the real estate photos of the sale and now I can't find them.  Anywho ... they neutralized the decor.  It looked lovely.  But I'm sure they knew going into the reno that their color choices would have to be changed for resale.

• Love 2

Oh Bless the Bravo lords for teleworking--I'm loving catching up on these older episodes.

Gosh Alex and Simon were just so odd and awkward, especially in that first season! But I have to say, I ended up finding them almost... endearing in a way, as the seasons progressed. I mean, in the way you find your crazy Great Aunt Doris "endearing."  I gave Alex "kadooz" (ha- saw Ramona blurt out that phrase this morning at the season 2 finale) for that scene where she admits that Simon and she met through a person ad, and it was only supposed to be for sex.  But they ended up falling in love.  I mean, she could have concocted some "meet cute" story of how they met, but she went with the honesty instead.  Props. 

That reminds me of another scene from season 1 when Beth went to Francois' birthday party in Brooklyn.  She was inside, alone, putting together a toy and she's talking about how she has absolutely nothing in common with the poor schlubs from Brooklyn.  The camera pans to some overweight, plaid shirted adult party guests standing out by a rusty swingset.  This was way before her brand took off so even then she didn't identify with the little people

I'm far from a Bethany fan, and found her to be embarrassingly brash and inappropriate in many scene. And she could definitely be a snob. I did, however, read that particular birthday party scene differently.  She was a single (or at the least unmarried), child-free woman at the time of that party.  I saw it more that it was weird and awkward to be at a child's birthday party sans a child with people she didn't know from Adam (aside from Silex). 

Oh Jill...just go away. She is so horrible

Isn't she though?  When you watch these episodes and seasons back-to-back, it REALLY highlights that in just about every scene, Jill is complaining about something.  Whether it's because she didn't like the menu they were suggesting for her charity event in season 2 or that Ramona was too "old" to wearing a bikini on the yacht in the season 3 opening episode, or that Ramona shouldn't make her guests wait an hour with NO FOOD before the Ramona/Mario vow renewal scene.  There was always something to bitch and be unhappy about for that woman.  Good effing riddance to her.   

• Love 6

And the Brass Monkey ! Kelly is up here and Bethenny is down there.

Kelly was right then and she's right now. Bethenny is inappropriate and good for Kelly for calling her out and marking a boundary. Go Kelly and Go Jason Hoppy! I feel like he is holding her blabber mouth accountable to the judges orders. Bethenny likes it best when she can say and act however she wants and no one pushes back.

See, I always figured Kelly and Bethenny butted heads because they could see in each other things they didn't like about themselves. They were both fame-chasing social climbers, both of whom looked down on the other as being pretenders. But Bethenny will always have my support over Kelly simply because Beth was actually articulate and quick-witted enough to keep it in check for the cameras, whereas Kelly could barely conceal her distaste for anything outside of the "fabulosity" bubble. Plus Bethenny just seems like she's equal opportunity mean, whereas Kelly gives me this vibe that she is absolutely selective about who she chooses be nice and nasty too. Which, in a weird way, I find way worse.

• Love 6

See, I always figured Kelly and Bethenny butted heads because they could see in each other things they didn't like about themselves. They were both fame-chasing social climbers, both of whom looked down on the other as being pretenders. But Bethenny will always have my support over Kelly simply because Beth was actually articulate and quick-witted enough to keep it in check for the cameras, whereas Kelly could barely conceal her distaste for anything outside of the "fabulosity" bubble. Plus Bethenny just seems like she's equal opportunity mean, whereas Kelly gives me this vibe that she is absolutely selective about who she chooses be nice and nasty too. Which, in a weird way, I find way worse.

Agreed on that last sentence especially---I always hated Kelly because she was so grossly and obviously selective of her ire. Unless you were in the right social crowd or was pretty/famous enough for her, you were dead to her. She always came across like the typical high school mean girl to me; only nice to the other folks in her popular clique.

She was also just as dismissive of Alex and Ramona; I think she was only nice to Jill because of the Zarin Fabrics connection and LuAnne due to the fact that they were models who married rich older men and were Hamptons neighbors. I found it very telling that when she appeared this last season, she immediately latched on to Carolyn without a hint of snobbery. Guarantee that she would've been just as dismissive to her as she was to Bethenny without Carole's Kennedy connection/successful book.

There's a reason she doesn't appear to have many female friends too---I think most ladies she's only deign to hang out with are weary of obvious social climbers/strategic befrienders like her. Bethenny may be a fellow climber, but she's also smart enough to cut through any bullshit and isn't exclusive with her social elevations, which is why I always respected her and her hustle.

Still my fave Kelly tribute video:

• Love 3

I'm watching Season 3 now, and man, I forgot how much of a bitch Jill was. All of them had an annoying attitude about Brooklyn (Brooklyn native over here, so I'm extra salty), but her whining about how "horrified" she was during the Brooklyn fashion show was too much.  Of course it isn't going to be on the same scale as New York Fashion Week.  It seems as if independent designers were showing, so she should've stayed home instead of being an asshole.

Speaking of assholes, I never liked Avery. I could totally see her being an UES real life Blair Waldorf snob.  I always side-eyed how she spoke to her mother.

• Love 4

I never watched RHONY from the beginning, I only came on board during the Scary Island season so watching these earlier episodes is just wonderful.

I did have to break out in laughter over LuAnn telling a table full of teenaged, indifferent girls how to have class and imparting her wisdom on the underpriviledged girls she went to speak to.  Can you imagine telling a 10 year old girl who says she wants to be a model that losing weight is the easy part?  Oh LuAnn, never change.  I will say the woman always looks phenomenal.

Jill's apartment reno is proof that money can't buy you taste.  Good Lord, most of that was horrific.  Bethenny nailed it when she said it was like being on a bad acid trip.  And $16,000 for a handbag?  Are you crazy?  I saw absolutely nothing phenomenal about that "B bag."

Same goes for Simon and Alex's reno.  Bordello for sure.  All that black and red - - egads. They are definitely try-hards but I don't find them as offensive as some do.

I actually like certain aspects of Bethenny.  Knowing now how that road would go, I'm giving the side eye to having Jason appearing in her background shot with Cookie when they were first dating.  Who does that?  I do think fame went to her head.

Kelly is clearly a nut. I wanted to like her at first as the crazy, kooky type girl (kind of like Kim on RHOBH) but I remember Scary Island so . . . I also found it bizarre that she would do the "I'm up here, you're down here" thing to Bethenny and then deny it. 

Ramona was and is Ramona.  She has a new outlook on life - - maybe it's the haircut!  Ha ha!

As much as I generally like RHONY now, I do think these earlier episodes were more enjoyable.  I think the ladies generally did have a friendship or acquaintance and things seemed less scripted and more real.  It will be interesting to see what Bethenny's return will bring to the table.

• Love 4

Like a lot of you, I have been catching up on past seasons they air in the morning. They recently had the episode when Ramona asked Mario to renew their vows. Knowing what we know now, watching that was so awkward. At one point, she actually stands up, grabs his hand and says, "I want to know you're still committed to me...to meeee!" Face palm.

Now, I want Andy to be really messy and start showing repeats of Bethenny Getting Married and Bethenny Ever After! Ha!

• Love 2

I'm watching Season 3 now, and man, I forgot how much of a bitch Jill was. All of them had an annoying attitude about Brooklyn (Brooklyn native over here, so I'm extra salty), but her whining about how "horrified" she was during the Brooklyn fashion show was too much.  Of course it isn't going to be on the same scale as New York Fashion Week.  It seems as if independent designers were showing, so she should've stayed home instead of being an asshole.

Speaking of assholes, I never liked Avery. I could totally see her being an UES real life Blair Waldorf snob.  I always side-eyed how she spoke to her mother.

Jill's anti-Brooklyn stance is especially ironic, considering how offended she was when Simon said something about Jill being from Long Island (or maybe it was sounding like she was from Long Island). Between seasons 1 and 2, I think. Jill talked about how the comment was elitist and tossed out anti-Semetic and on and on. Tiresome woman. Was there a "free Bobb!" meme circulating along with the "free Donn!" one from OC?

Avery was interesting. In season 1, I found her to be petulant whenever on camera but as time went on, and Ramona's nastiness and drunken antics became more in evidence, I cut Avery tremendous slack. Ugh, can you imagine having Ramona (whose public meltdowns have gotten press even when the show is dark) as your mom? Last season, there was a scene when Avery was leaving for university that I found very telling: Avery and Mario are quietly sitting, enjoying some time together and Ramona is sobbing and gasping and making it all about her. I felt bad for the kid.

• Love 4
(edited)

I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons the most as well, although I think part of that is natural fatigue as a show ages. But the other part of it is with these HWs shows, it's easier in a way for the action to unfold organically when the cast isn't as familiar with each other. When they're trying to suss each other out and size one another up, there's less behind-the-scenes machinations and what unfolds on-camera feels more authentic. Once they've gotten a feel for each other, I feel like so much happens off-screen that gets covered up in coded language on-screen, it makes it harder to tell what's real and what's scripted/manufactured.

I'm a little sad Alex didn't make the cut after the revamp. I actually think she would have been an interesting addition with Heather, Carole, etc. But after the painfulness of Alex being the obvious odd-man-out on the Cindy season (S4?), it was time for her to go. 

Edited by KFC
  • Love 1

Like a lot of you, I have been catching up on past seasons they air in the morning. They recently had the episode when Ramona asked Mario to renew their vows. Knowing what we know now, watching that was so awkward. At one point, she actually stands up, grabs his hand and says, "I want to know you're still committed to me...to meeee!" Face palm.

Now, I want Andy to be really messy and start showing repeats of Bethenny Getting Married and Bethenny Ever After! Ha!

Yeah I was noticing especially in the Season 2 reruns from  yesterday that Ramona and Mario really did lay on the "I love  you"s and the "I'm so luck to be with you"s pretty thick.  I didn't recall that.  Very strange to see that now knowing how their relationship evolves.  Gotta wonder if he was fooling around on her even back then.  I tend to think probably yes. 

I actually like certain aspects of Bethenny.  Knowing now how that road would go, I'm giving the side eye to having Jason appearing in her background shot with Cookie when they were first dating.  Who does that?  I do think fame went to her head.

It was a bit strange to have him in her "shots" so early.  I always assumed they went back and added those in once they knew she was knocked up and engaged. But who knows. 

I thought Bethenny looked really pretty in Episode 1 of Season 3, when she has her hair and makeup done for the PETA add. I actually thought it was the best she ever looked. It's funny though we get a "taste" of Jason getting annoyed with her right from the get-go when she emails that (mostly) naked picture of her to his WORK email.  Not that I blamed him. Like, who does that? You'd think after Jason 1.0 got FIRED because of appearing on the show she'd be a little more considerate.  But no.  Bethenny was all about Bethenny.  Well, I assume she still is.     

• Love 1

I can't wait to see Bethenny. I've always loved her because she's a straight shooter, no bullshit.  "I don't like you. I don't trust you. I think you're a snake." Awesome. The one thing I've never liked about any of the housewives is their inability to be grown ups and have disagreements without coming to blows and getting nasty.

• Love 4

"?..you look adorable in your Zac dress."  

I actually wondered if that moment was some kind of product placement, it was so out of the blue. I also wondered if Beth was going to chip a tooth on her implants, which were pushed up up up and awayyyyyyy.

• Love 2
her whining about how "horrified" she was during the Brooklyn fashion show was too much

That was hysterical. "The Countess wouldn't be caught dead here," as if Jill, by dint of being friends with LuAnn, was also too good to do Brooklyn Fashion Weekend (it was Weekend, right? Not Week?). And yeah, the cameras made sure to capture the bags of trash on the street, the lackluster set-up inside - it looked more like a community theater production than anything. But if Kelly wasn't too high and mighty to go and good-naturedly wear her Big Bird dress, then Jill had no room to get all uppity.

Was that the same season she released her book? Man, I felt a bit for Jill after that awful photo shoot with her mother. "Mother's not HAP-PY....I'm not HAP-PY," in that menacing tone. Good grief. And then babbling some nonsense about how a bride should never wear chiffon for a Christmas wedding. Well, she did have a point (or maybe it was Lisa, the other sister) that it looked weird that Jill was all glammed up and didn't fit with the more casually dressed Lisa and Gloria. I figured Jill's preening for the camera and attire was her way of silently conveying "my sister has the big career, but I'm a socialite and run with a fah-abulous circle of people."

Gotta wonder if he was fooling around on her even back then.  I tend to think probably yes.

Ramona's brother told the tabloids that Ramona cheated on Mario first, and not just once. Of course she denied it. I don't know how Ramona could possibly find time for an affair - she didn't even know that Avery had already taken her SATs! That scene was gold - maybe it was Season 4? - where Ramona proudly shows Avery a folder she created to keep track of Avery's college preparations, saying "I want to know all about your SATs," and then hearing that Avery's already taken them. (What made it funny was Ramona's digs at LuAnn not being fully available to her kids, "a weekend mom," etc.) I'm so glad Ramona is still around.

I can't wait to see Bethenny. I've always loved her because she's a straight shooter, no bullshit.  "I don't like you. I don't trust you. I think you're a snake." Awesome. The one thing I've never liked about any of the housewives is their inability to be grown ups and have disagreements without coming to blows and getting nasty.

Oh yes, one of my favorite HWs smackdowns of all time. Bethenny didn't need to rely on cursing or getting physical (unless you count finger pointing), yet she managed to completely disarm Luann with a few sentences. Lu really had no defense other than to deliberately confuse "snake" with "skank." And let's not forget Bethenny's follow-up, "you make digs disguised as compliments." Bethenny's strength has always been her ability to be succinct and quick in her responses, which is basically reality TV gold. So many of these women suffer from roundabout syndrome in their arguments.

I also loved when she said to Kelly's face, "you are the most inarticulate person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting." Because, let's face it, Kelly's strength was never her way with words, and calling her dumb or stupid certainly wasn't going to have nearly the same level of impact.

• Love 8
Kelly's strength was never her way with words

Kelly's Playboy interview, where a really cute writer tries to talk to her about books.

Writer: So I just read an amazing Swedish novel called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Kelly: I don't have any tattoos.

<crickets>

Kelly doing her "street interviews" for some magazine:

Kelly: Are you wearing your own underwear?

Obviously under-aged teen boy: What?

Kelly: Uh...never mind, I'm not gonna ask you that.

(What kind of a stupid man-on-the-street question was that, anyway? Whose underwear would you be wearing if not your own?)

• Love 5

Yeah, I don't know if there was something congenitally wrong with Kelly, or if she had some type of anxiety around the cameras, but she definitely uplifted the  dumb model stereotype.

She used to have a column for Metro New York newspaper.  I'm paraphrasing, but she wrote something about young women having expensive handbags.  If they didn't buy it themselves, then they shouldn't claim ownership.

Ya'll! Scary Island is on!

• Love 2

Scarey Island is actually running now.  I had forgotten how out of order Kelly was.  She is insane.  The episode before the big blow up people kept telling her to shut up and stop it.  She kept talking and saying things like she's the one with issues why attack me and then she starts attacking her again.  Really, really insane.  I see Brandi on RHOBH and think that's so Kelly but really nothing is as bad as this stuff.

The success that came Bethenny's way after all of this with SkinnyGirl has got to kill Kelly.

• Love 3

The best part is her (Kelly) losing it over getting a gift bag! Seriously crazy or drugged or something.

Right?  There were so many parts to this that said crazy.  What is wrong with a gift bag?  I really had forgotten all of the little pieces that led up to the finally break down.  Plus love the phone call with JZ where Jill is saying how worried she was about Kelly.  And as well all know JZ couldn't care less.  She was busy planning her triumph return to center stage by flying in private to surprise all of the girls by gracing them with her presence.  I knew the two of them were gone before the reunion even happened.

I'm watching Kelly now, after not having seen this in years.  My theory is Kelly is on various meds (and has been for a long time) & she just took too many on this trip cuz she was so terrified & paranoid (rightfully so) Bethenny would make her look bad.  I don't think she had a breakdown.  She just seems in a senseless fog.  I guess Kelly's denials of anything being wrong with her were the only way she could deal with the aftermath of this.

Look, the producers played this shit up for all it was worth.  And who could blame 'em?  It made for awesome reality TV.  This is the show at its most fascinating.  But I never bought into the notion that Kelly was (and is) a rambling/babbling lunatic who should be rotting away in an asylum.  Don't get me wrong.  I think she has some serious psychological issues -- as Bethenny noted at the following reunion.  But I suspect as long as she mostly stays to herself & limits herself to quick nothing conversations at parties & other insignificant social situations & keeps up with the paid/fake, much younger, seemingly idiotic "boyfriends", she can go ahead & um, "enjoy her life."  She does seems like an extremely good & caring mother.

She still strikes me as a rather stupid, vapid, extremely inarticulate woman, who rarely makes any sense to anyone but herself.  I know she's "written" books, but we all know how that can go.  What's always bothered me about Kelly was her snobbishness & her obvious mean attitude.  She always looked down on Alex in a way I really didn't care for.  To Kells, Alex wasn't good looking enough or "connected" enough & she was "creepy" or her makeup wasn't right & she lived in Brooklyn (oh the horrors).  Kells' snobbishness was icky.

Btw, seeing Alex reminded me how much better looking she got.  She really didn't look so great when Kells was photographing her like an intense loon.  I think Alex did some drastic changes with her teeth, which she has refused to admit to, and it really improved her looks.  

Anyway, given how Alex's & Simon's brownstone sold for $2.6 mil, the snobbishness toward Brooklyn, displayed not just by Kelly, but by the whole cast, except for Bethenny, showed how out-of-touch all of these women are.  The odd thing is, most of them know they exist in their little bubbles and seem fine with it -- and in fact, prefer it.  Kelly is deluded enough to think she isn't like this -- but she totally is.  She has a few select places she'll go to -- probably the same places Paris Hilton goes to -- and that's about it.  Enjoy your shallow life Kells, you fuckin' nasty wacky moron.  

For some reason Daily Mail is fascinated with Kelly & features scary-looking pics of her constantly.  Have no clue why.  But she's always wearing teeny-tiny outfits, and I could swear I see a penis is poking thru these outfits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3022513/Kelly-Bensimon-shows-toned-legs-white-mini-dress-struts-NYC.html

• Love 3
(edited)

My theory about Scary Island was that Jill was the moving force behind Kelly going. She pumped Kelly up with all these fantasies about that evil poseur, Bethenny ("you're not a chef!") and expected Kelly to finish B so that she could fly in as savior!

Evidence is that when Ramona asks if anyone has heard from Jill, Kelly pipes and says, she talks to me and she does is ask about Bethenny.

Scary Island was classic by itself, but the Bravo blow-off of Jill showing up - "Hiiiiii!" - made it virtually historic in the annals of reality TV. It wasn't Andy, it wasn't the "producers," it was these people doing this. It was great! It will never not be great! Mike Leigh couldn't do it!

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 2

Those yellow shoes that Kelly has on in the Daily Mail pics look like the blue shoes with the same buckle that Carrie (SATC) had left in the closet of the apartment she and Big were going to move in to.

I have my DVR scheduled to record the Scary Island episode today, it is truly something to savior.

Not too long ago, there was a report that Lu had taken a place in an area called Riverside Park. The article was worded in a way that left it unclear if Lu had bought the place or *horrors* had joined the hoi polloi in renting. Is Riverside Park a nice area (or one that, in the past, would have led to a Lu sneer)?

My theory about Scary Island was that Jill was the moving force behind Kelly going. She pumped Kelly up with all these fantasies about that evil poseur, Bethenny ("you're not a chef!") and expected Kelly to finish B so that she could fly in as savior!

Good call!  Hadn't even thought about Jillzy orchestrating the whole thing & completely manipulating dumb-shit Kelly.  Jillzy did admit to creating the whole stupid fight with Bethenny, so she was full-force into creating & controlling everything on the show.  She was truly a monster.  Andy had no choice but to get rid of her.  And even when he gets close to thinking he might bring her back, like plopping her on that shitty Matchmaker crud, I suspect he realizes once again, he just can't.

Jillzy can't help herself from being manipulative & controlling to such a crazy degree.  It's who she is.  She's lucky Bobby seems to not mind these awful traits.  Actually, he seems to enjoy her.  But as far as Jillzy coming back to the show, I don't think Andy would ever allow it.

I'm watching how Jason is with Bethenny.  Sheesh, he looks like he can barely stand her.  Is it that he can't stomach her or he's actually gay & just didn't wanna have sex with a woman?  I remember now why I thought he was gay.  And given that he's never been pictured going out with any woman since he split with Bethenny, it still makes me very suspicious.

Ugh, the Moaner vow renewal thing is on now.  Ew.  Cringe & shivers.

• Love 2
She used to have a column for Metro New York newspaper.  I'm paraphrasing, but she wrote something about young women having expensive handbags.  If they didn't buy it themselves, then they shouldn't claim ownership.

According to Kells, she still has a column in AM New York, the other free paper distributed every morning -- it's the kinda thing you can go thru in about a minute.  I've seen her "column".  It's poorly written.  I just took a look at Kelly's Twitter, which I haven't looked at in years.  Looks like she's as active as a teen.  Very strange.  Man, she really is delusional & crazy as hell.  Guess she hasn't changed much since Scary Island, eh?

Anyhoo, she just posted this on her Twitter-

Um, what in the fuckety fuck is she saying here?

I'm watching Kelly now, after not having seen this in years.  My theory is Kelly is on various meds (and has been for a long time) & she just took too many on this trip cuz she was so terrified & paranoid (rightfully so) Bethenny would make her look bad.  I don't think she had a breakdown.  She just seems in a senseless fog.  I guess Kelly's denials of anything being wrong with her were the only way she could deal with the aftermath of this.

She still strikes me as a rather stupid, vapid, extremely inarticulate woman, who rarely makes any sense to anyone but herself.  I know she's "written" books, but we all know how that can go.  What's always bothered me about Kelly was her snobbishness & her obvious mean attitude.  She always looked down on Alex in a way I really didn't care for.  To Kells, Alex wasn't good looking enough or "connected" enough & she was "creepy" or her makeup wasn't right & she lived in Brooklyn (oh the horrors).  Kells' snobbishness was icky.

Yes, precisely. There was always this undercurrent of oblivious elitism in Kelly that I found really unsettling (especially toward Alex), her mental instability and inarticulateness aside. Kelly reminds me of Brandi Glanville in that regards; they both seem to think aging is a crime and that a lack of physical attractiveness makes you a "lesser than," (unless you can somehow compensate by being wealthy), which I find really distasteful.

I agree that the other women seemed to acknowledge their own snobbery (ie Ramona's dislike of Brooklyn), whereas Kelly seemed to think she treated everyone equally, when in fact she was the worst offender as far as being dismissive of things outside her very very narrow comfort zone. Kelly very clearly was the type of person who liked to self-segregate based on superfluous factors, even more so than Jill or Luann. She couldn't possibly be bothered to treat someone not on her "level" with a modicum of decency. 

• Love 4

Kelly's Playboy interview, where a really cute writer tries to talk to her about books.

Writer: So I just read an amazing Swedish novel called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Kelly: I don't have any tattoos.

<crickets>

Kelly doing her "street interviews" for some magazine:

Kelly: Are you wearing your own underwear?

Obviously under-aged teen boy: What?

Kelly: Uh...never mind, I'm not gonna ask you that.

(What kind of a stupid man-on-the-street question was that, anyway? Whose underwear would you be wearing if not your own?)

That interview was awesome: 1. That Kelly was soooooo impressed that he read a Swedish book. He didn't read it in Swedish you idiot! He read an English translation of a fairly easy to read book. It was like being super impressed with someone's intellect because they read Gone Girl. Hey, I liked both books, but they aren't exactly challenging reads. It wasn't like he was talking about reading Infinite Jest or something. 2. How had she not heard of this book?!?!? It was EVERYWHERE! Everyone I knew read that book! EVERYONE READ IT! Oh Kelly, the bubble you live in must be nice.

• Love 2

I knew the two of them were gone before the reunion even happened.

Knew they were gone...from Scary Island? Or the show? Because Jill and Kelly both returned to RHONYC for S4. Quinn M, this is not directed at you, as I am not even completely clear on the point you were making, it's just a general statement: I think there is some confusion on these boards as to when Bethenny left (after S3), and when Bravo cleaned house and dumped Jill, Kelly, Alex, and that other gal (after S4). I get it, because this all happened years ago, and hopefully we have better things going on in our lives (any day now). The only reason I remember is because the show completely changed for me after Bethenny left. Season 4 was just a shrieking, senseless, shrew-filled ship without a rudder. The S5 re-tool was so necessary IMO.

Is Riverside Park a nice area (or one that, in the past, would have led to a Lu sneer)?

Steelcitysister, I don't live in NYC, but I used to work there, and I never heard of this neighborhood. There is an actual 'Riverside Park' on the Upper West Side. After seeing the 180 Luann has pulled on this show, I would be surprised, but not shocked, if she were living as a bohemian in an actual park, but I'll rule that one out. The area around the park is nice, but nothing to brag about compared to UES or TriBeCa, I think. I read an article a few years ago that Luann was living in a rental on 12th Avenue. The picture of the rental was nothing to write home about. Maybe it's the same place? Twelfth Ave should coincide with the area around Riverside Park. It's a little confusing because New York is so huge. A new little hip neighborhood could pop up, and only the artists and yuppies who live there would know about it.
  • Love 1
The area around the park is nice, but nothing to brag about compared to UES or TriBeCa, I think. I read an article a few years ago that Luann was living in a rental on 12th Avenue. The picture of the rental was nothing to write home about. Maybe it's the same place? Twelfth Ave should coincide with the area around Riverside Park. It's a little confusing because New York is so huge. A new little hip neighborhood could pop up, and only the artists and yuppies who live there would know about it.

When was Riverside Park mentioned on the show?  I don't remember.  It's certainly a nice area.  I'm thinking of the apartment buildings along West End Avenue.  They're mostly very nice.  Some may have penthouses which are worth a lot.  But this isn't a prime location in the city.  The most expensive real estate is not there.  But it does offer some nice advantages in that it's mostly quiet & fairly safe.  And being near the park is nice.  But I wouldn't go anywhere near that park after dark.  Even during the day, I'd be careful to stay near the street.

Just goes back to what I've said before, NONE of these women are part of Manhattan's high society.  Don't get me wrong.  Lu & Sonja were very much were part of that scene in the '90's,  Carole might have been -- on occasion, cuz her late husband was most definitely part of it, when he wasn't sick.  Kelly was also a big part of it, thru her ex-husband.  But none of them are now.  They're all pretty much pathetic has-beens on that scene.  OK, Kells does seem to get invites to events.  Not sure how.  Her credential from AM New York would get her exactly nowhere.  Maybe her ex takes pity on her & gets her invites to stuff.  

Oh, Jillzy & the Moaner are never-weres cuz they NEVER had the kinds of connections the others had -- and lost.  And Beth?  She always cracked me up with her name dropping.  I remember her mentioning Ginny Hilfigger about a bazillion times.  I assume she's Tommy's wife, but I don't care enough to confirm it.  I wonder if she's calmed down on that annoying name dropping crap.

• Love 1

N. Bluth thanks for the info above!

When was Riverside Park mentioned on the show?  I don't remember.  It's certainly a nice area.  I'm thinking of the apartment buildings along West End Avenue.  They're mostly very nice.  Some may have penthouses which are worth a lot.  But this isn't a prime location in the city.  The most expensive real estate is not there.  But it does offer some nice advantages in that it's mostly quiet & fairly safe.  And being near the park is nice.  But I wouldn't go anywhere near that park after dark.  Even during the day, I'd be careful to stay near the street.

It was in a recent Reality Tea piece. Not being from NY, I'm always curious about the locations.

http://www.realitytea.com/2015/01/08/photos-luann-de-lesseps-talks-real-housewives-new-york-reality-tv-real/

• Love 1