Type keyword(s) to search

Legends - General Discussion

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I thought this was a really good episode. I can understand why they postponed it a week, but it progressed several plotlines such as how Sean Beam first met the wife and daughter, the demons within the former FBI agent (his background which led to the killing of his fellow missionary) etc. I hope that people are watching this as I am enjoying the season.

• Love 2

Another stellar episode. I am really enjoying the reboot. It is a little too realistic with the terrorism story, but Sean Bean and the young actress playing Kate have great chemistry and are giving entertaining performances. I actually went awwww, when Kate called Martin, "poppy." It is clear that they are setting it up for her to go undercover with Martin's guidance in that Chechnyan terror cell which will be her only way out of prosecution. 

I also like the agency rivalries and the machinations among M16, the CIA, and the FBI. The only weak link is the obsessed FBI agent. I think that he takes away from a tight story. Still, I am looking forward to seeing what Martin did to him, probably caused him to lose his leg. Of course, when he eventually confronts Martin, he will be crushed that he doesn't remember who the hell he is or what happened between them.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I love this show and not enough people are watching it.  Sean Bean continues to hit it out of the park (although I could watch him read the phone book and be happy).  No wonder TPTB decided to hold off a couple of weeks ago because last week's and tonight's plot was eerily similar to the Paris terrorism.  

• Love 3

Glad to see I'm not the only one watching. Sometimes the flashbacks and flashforwards can be a little confusing, but still an enjoyable show.

Agent Ballard must have been based on J. Edgar's propensity to hire Mormon agents.

I also like the agency rivalries and the machinations among M16, the CIA, and the FBI.

As William Devane said in Marathon Man, "They're all paranoid schmucks!"

I'm definitely liking the overall story arch better than last seasons more piecemeal stories.  Agreed that sometimes the flashbacks throw me off, I just need to pay more attention.

I'm wondering if they have the other female, was it the shooter's sister, in custody as well?

Oy! I cannot believe that they added flashbacks for yet a third character. Who is the showrunner? This person simply does not have a lick of sense. It took me a few minutes to realize that the young closeted gay guy was Martin's MI6 handler. We are really suppose to believe that he hasn't had sex with a man since his the 1970s because of the KGB's instructions? What could they do to him if he did? They need him.

I wanted the FBI guy gone and am glad that he is, but not how they took him out. If he had stuck around, I am sure he would have discovered that it is Martin's MI6 handler who hurt him, not Martin. The FBI guy was probably living on borrowed time given his guilt over the death of his fellow elder.

I am looking forward to Martin handling Kate when she goes undercover. Please limit the flashbacks to Martin now.

• Love 1

Or no more flashbacks at all would be good, too.  I like the story they're telling, but they could do a little more exposition, a little more "tell" rather than "show."  

On this show, I have to agree. This show has so much potential, but it is wasted with odd storytelling choices. I understand that because of Martin's memory lost it itsdifficult to show his past legends, but there is no need for flashbacks with the FBI agent and his female partner. They can just reminisce and tell us about their interaction with Martin. Also, the flashbacks of his MI6 handler were completely unnecessary.

Also, the flashbacks of his MI6 handler were completely unnecessary.

On that point I have to disagree, but only slightly.  It took me a bit as well to figure out whose story they were telling, but in the end I think the flashbacks added to explaining his buttoned-downed-ness and his commitment to who he knew as Dmitry.  I needed to see how much the handler was hurt by what happened to him.  

They should rename the show Legend rather than Legends.  Bean's character is stuck in the repertoire of what he did as the various characters, but no new characters are emerging.  Martin/Dmitry/John are all trapped in the same slog of the amnesia.  Nothing new is coming out.  I can't wait to find out more about who knew what and when, but in the meantime we're going to have to watch the amateur Kate almost get her head shot off time and time again, only to be rescued by Papa.  Ugh.  

I wanted the FBI guy gone and am glad that he is, but not how they took him out. If he had stuck around, I am sure he would have discovered that it is Martin's MI6 handler who hurt him, not Martin. The FBI guy was probably living on borrowed time given his guilt over the death of his fellow elder.

I don't think he's gone...yet. Watch the preview carefully, he shows up next week. I think he faked his suicide to go underground.

• Love 1

They should rename the show Legend rather than Legends. Bean's character is stuck in the repertoire of what he did as the various characters, but no new characters are emerging. Martin/Dmitry/John are all trapped in the same slog of the amnesia. Nothing new is coming out. I can't wait to find out more about who knew what and when, but in the meantime we're going to have to watch the amateur Kate almost get her head shot off time and time again, only to be rescued by Papa. Ugh.

I think the problem is, the first season showed him using his different legends because he was able to study the files to get the details. However, they completely changed the format in season 2 to focus on him trying to figure out what is true vs a legend and it has stuck him in this weird limbo.

I guess the throwaway line about him asking his handler about killing someone leads up to him severely injuring Ballard. Now I will have to watch the previews just to see what torqy sees...I guess he doesn't eat his gun after all.

I don't really understand why Ballard was so gung-ho on capturing Petrovich (and his future legends).  Wasn't he already told that the person was a government operative?  Why would he continue to focus on that?  I get trying to get him as the main suspected in the FBI director's death, but he still seems to want to 'get him' because he was Petrovich.

So while I understand that Terence decided not to kill himself because of his young son back in 1976, what's his excuse in 2001 and present?  I suppose he's learned to live with it?  And really, the KGB still 'handling' him after the cold war and collapse of the Soviet Union? 

And they are seriously going to place their faith in gathering intell in the hands of a 15 year old girl?

Edited by Hanahope

I don't think he's gone...yet. Watch the preview carefully, he shows up next week. I think he faked his suicide to go underground.

Gawd. I didn't catch that. Thanks for telling me so I am not surprised when this loser shows up next week. I really want to see how Martin and Kate's story plays out, but I am just about done with the rest. If every character that shows up is getting flashbacks, I will be tempted to change the channel. There are five more episodes to go. I will try to stick it out, but don't know if I can at this rate.

About the Terrence legend, I find it completely unbelievable that after all these years that he is still allowing the KGB now the FSB to blackmail him and that he has not had sex with another man all these years. It stretches credibility. The show would have been better off not bothering with that one.

Edited by SimoneS

I don't really understand why Ballard was so gung-ho on capturing Petrovich (and his future legends). Wasn't he already told that the person was a government operative? Why would he continue to focus on that? I get trying to get him as the main suspected in the FBI director's death, but he still seems to want to 'get him' because he was Petrovich.

Because Dmitry is the reason he lost his leg. It's all about revenge with Ballard. I guess his sad life wasn't enough and Dmitry became the focus of what could fix all of the wrong in his life.

Real question, wouldn't the KGB now be the SVR?. I don't really get the sub sub plot involving the former handler. Although, I think that it's no coincidence that both he and Martin/John/Dmitry have memory loss in present times. I'm guessing we will find out their minds were erased for some reason. Probably in the same way that the chick in Blindspot did it.

Real question, wouldn't the KGB now be the SVR?

I was confused because I thought today the KGB is now the FSB and wasn't sure about the SVR so I did some Wiki research. Turns out that FSB is the main successor to the KGB, but SVR and FSO are divisions from the KGB that are separate from the FSB. Since the SVR handles foreign intelligence, it should be handling Terrence, but is unbelievable that it would still be blackmailing him or that same officer would have been handling him then.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

It took me a while to catch on to whose flashback this was, and I'm curious to see where they go with it.  I am interested in the side characters so I don't mind that they have so much screen time.  Yes, Ballard is all about revenge (have we ever seen his leg before, I can't remember?) and it seemed out of character to me that he would kill himself while on the phone with a person he seems to really like.  So it makes sense if he faked that.  This show was a slow start for me, but I like it better every week, even though some of it still confuses me (especially who is working for what group).  I'm getting used to the flashbacks.

Poor Kate. I was surprised that she hadn't bolted sooner. She stuck around longer than I would have. I might have taken my chances and turned myself in to the French. 

The FBI guy might or might not be dead, but he is still in the flashbacks. Well, at least the flashbacks are all about Martin now.

So we have three agencies working together. If nothing else, the Czech police officer will be able to fill Martin in on his past as Dimitri. 

Edited by SimoneS

I assumed that as soon as Gabi visited the morgue to identify the body, Ballard did in fact eat his gun.  

I'm glad that Martin was able to get a copy of his file regarding his activities in Europe.  Now he will be able to fill in the gaps in his memory.

Kate tried to get the intel but I wondered about that look between her uncle and his "man".  Does that mean he doesn't trust her?  or that he wants the guy to do something about their Kate problem?

I assumed that as soon as Gabi visited the morgue to identify the body, Ballard did in fact eat his gun.  

I missed that bit. Thanks for the info.

I don't buy the uncle's benevolence towards Kate. He had that young woman recruiting other young women for terrorist attacks. I think that he has plans to use Kate in an upcoming terrorist attack and the look was telling his man to keep a better eye on her.

• Love 1

I don't buy the uncle's benevolence towards Kate. He had that young woman recruiting other young women for terrorist attacks. I think that he has plans to use Kate in an upcoming terrorist attack and the look was telling his man to keep a better eye on her.

That is a good point. I wonder why he went from an indulgent man to a current day pious man (at least from all external views).

Gosh.  I missed that, too.  Was that in the very beginning.  I think my DVR didn't record the first couple of minutes.

I enjoyed that episode. This show would so much better with fewer flashbacks. I knew that kid seeing him would come back to haunt Martin.   

Poor Czech officer finding out her husband is corrupt that way. Poor Kate, no doubt they are planning to use her in their terrorist plan. 

• Love 1

Martin goes back to work for Tamir; Gabi confronts Blazek about his secret dealings; Kate is held prisoner in the President's compound in Chechnya and in 2001 Prague, Dmitry tries to convince Tamir to earn General Arsanov's trust.

Martin  and Nina search for Tamir's  associates in hopes of getting some answers; two Chechen assassins put a deadly plan into action

Martin makes a deal with the Russians to rescue Kate; Gabi struggles to make a decision about her husband; in 2004, Dmitry asks one last favor of Terrance; in 1972, the last pieces of the puzzle to understanding Martin Odum's identity are revealed.

Last three episodes of the series.

It looks like TNT is running all three episodes next Monday, FYI.

Really, thanks for the info. I might have missed this. I will record them in case I cannot watch live.

Edited by SimoneS

I enjoyed this episode, too.  I think the flashbacks to 1985 are not needed, though.  I'm not sure it makes any difference to the story if we find out how he was recruited.  Unless there really is more we should know about that. 

I didn't realize that guy was her husband, but I could tell by the way she looked it was not good. 

Too bad this season was so confusing in the beginning.  I guess a lot of people didn't stick around. 

No problem! My DVR currently just shows two on Monday, but I've found several places on line that say all three, so it just may not have updated yet.

Thanks.  I was going to say that I only saw two episodes next week, but Major Crimes just ended their season so they have open time slots now.

Too bad this season was so confusing in the beginning.  I guess a lot of people didn't stick around. 

I would like to know what the showrunner was thinking with the stupid approach to this season. I think that the audience could have easily accepted the reboot, but expecting the audience to be entertained by flashbacks about so many characters each episode was ridiculous. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I don't have much to say except how much I enjoy watching this show. I think the acting is great and although the plot has been convoluted, it's now all coming together for me and I am able to follow the flashbacks.

Do we know what Tamir's "legitimate" business is?

I was glad to find out that Ilyana enjoyed her time with Dmetri. I do wonder why she didn't tell him or remind him about her husband. That's an important detail.

Tamir must really be into something to send Kate to stay with the president of Chechnya.

I do wonder why she didn't tell him or remind him about her husband. That's an important detail.

I won't have told him about killing her husband if I was her. It is even better that the CIA, MI6, and Czech police don't know.

It does amaze me how many people think that Martin has murdered tons of people when he has not and he doesn't remember that he did not. I hope before this last season ends that his memory is triggered and his memories come flooding back. Too bad the show turned into such a debacle. It would have be entertaining to get a third season of Martin going after all his enemies and getting revenge.

• Love 2

I think the mistake they made this season was not having Sean Bean going undercover in the present tense. Too many time jumps and storylines made it hard to follow. I always root for Sean Bean, and agree that he needs a well written, intriguing show.

Finally the story is coming together and Martin has assumed a legend. However, it is too little too late as the show has been cancelled. It was just too disjointed-the flashbacks were just too many and too much. And, many of the flashbacks were about characters I didn't care about. I hate that the female agent told Martin that the FBI guy's suicide was on him. Ummm, no, it wasn't. I think that I will like the three episodes next week as they will bring all of the disjointed plot lines together. Throughout the seasons I wondered why they strayed from the 'legends' part (except in flashback) as we were always told that Martin was amazing in his legend assignments. Dmitry was good, but I wanted to see more.

Throughout the seasons I wondered why they strayed from the 'legends' part (except in flashback) as we were always told that Martin was amazing in his legend assignments. Dmitry was good, but I wanted to see more.

TNT was going to cancel the show after season 1. But another person came in as the show runner and proposed how they could retool the show using a different method of story telling and still keep the show on budget. So they allowed a season 2 based on his pitch.

Season 1 showed a lot of him assuming different legends using a COTW method. That was fun. The flashbacks in S2 were overdone to the point that if you missed one, you could be lost. I tend to enjoy flashbacks when they explain backstory info necessary to move the "current" storyline forward. But, this felt like a drawn out version of Inception - a story within a story within a story.....