Type keyword(s) to search

Legends - General Discussion

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I thought that this was a better episode than the pilot. I do feel if the family drama was wanted by the showrunners that they should have chosen better actors for the family. (I guess the same can be said for Larter too.) 

As far the possible unbelievable actions of the FBI...I believe just as many possibly unbelievable things from other shows involving government agencies. Why not this one too? Who knows? It may be more truthful than we know.

Crystal's attitude continues to annoy and got old last episode. Is she going to say the same thing again and again? About how Martin is pretty much burned out and can't trust him or whatever it was she said.

Ugh, I KNOW. We get it, Crystal can't deal with Martin's rogue ways. Then transfer out. Of course she won't, but she also won't shut up about it. Gah.

Still very uninterested in the stuff involving Martin's family.

I'm sure this is meant to show us that Martin isn't all killing and violence—he does have some humanity—but it's so boring and clichéd.

We barely knew Troy, but I'm impressed that the show presented him as more than just a red shirt before killing him off.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Thought it was terrible. And I love Sean Bean, and I would be willing to watch just to look at Ali Larter and Amber Valletta every week. But it's so dumb. The villains are laughable and intelligence-insulting, and the good guys are so stock-character-y. So disappointed.

This was horrid. I am going to try to stick it out one more episode but it was just horrible all-around.

Did they say Boromir volunteered for Afghanistan, got kicked out, then went on to supply arms to both sides of the Bosnian war?

If they did, time isn't linear in the Legend's universe.

• Love 2

I think this show started to lose me the moment Sean Bean started in with his entirely unconvincing super-duper southern american accent.  Am I supposed to think the virginia terrorist guys can't tell the difference?  Does the show think I can't tell the difference?  I know, it's a little thing but it wrong-footed me right from the get-go.  I mean fake cover-story Vinnie Terranova was also from brooklyn, just like actual Vinnie Terranova.  If Vinnie had started affecting a cockney accent to actual cockney thugs, Wiseguy would have sucked too.  The trick is getting them to accept you, not getting them to think 'we grew up in the same holler, you just don't remember me'.  

I'll give it a couple more weeks, but they'd better pick it up.

Personally, I just interpreted it as "He's pretending to be from a different part of the South than the group he's trying to infiltrate." It seems that he wouldn't necessarily need to convince the group that he's from Virginia, just so long as they can detect some Southern variant that would indicate similarities in background, cultural values, and economic conditions.

• Love 1

I actually support the inclusion of some of Martin's family drama. I still remember when, ten or fifteen years ago, the complaint was that in most legal/law enforcement dramas the female characters' work was often affected by their children, while the male characters could have newborn babies at home and not even look tired. So I'm glad to have a male character who's good at his job, and deeply flawed and troubled, and affected by his family life. To me, that's closer to reality than if Martin was nothing but his job at all times.

• Love 4

Did they say Boromir volunteered for Afghanistan, got kicked out, then went on to supply arms to both sides of the Bosnian war?

If they did, time isn't linear in the Legend's universe.

Maybe they meant the Soviet war in Afghanistan back in the 80's? The US supplied a lot of weapons and money to the Mujahideen, and after that war ended the Bosnian war took place a few years later.

The second episode was better than the first, and I liked the first so I'm a happy viewer.

I really didn't see the massacre coming, waiting just for the same old same old : infiltration, the boss come, they have to prove something, time will be sensitive etc... a little bit annoyed because everything was too predictable. Joke was on me ! Villains come, killed everybody included a member of what we thought was the semi-permanent cast, a new legend and cue generic, come back next week.

Wait, whaaaaaaaat ? That was 43 minutes already ?

Random : If I were the detective, that would worry me sick to follow an undercover cop, risking to blow whatever cover he could be under, compromising his life and a potential important mission. I really do understand his need to know the truth and kind of commend him for it but this one would be a real dilemma and he didn't give two thoughts about it when he discarded his boss's orders and proceeded with his, now illegal, surveillance.

• Love 2

Maybe they meant the Soviet war in Afghanistan back in the 80's? The US supplied a lot of weapons and money to the Mujahideen, and after that war ended the Bosnian war took place a few years later.

If that's what they meant the didn't make it clear.  They specifically said his legend was a Brit.   Oh well, suspension of disbelief I guess.

So I guess Ali Larter was signed primarily to provide the eye candy during the undercover ops.  That may be what she's best at anyway.

Yeah, not sure I get that Chestnut's detective would risk blowing a federal agent's undercover op just because he may have further info about the subway killing, especially when specifically told not to by his boss.

I like how the episode continues and it does feel a lot stronger than the pilot.

So how old is Martin supposed to be? If he volunteered in in Afghanistan I, then ran guns in the Bosnian conflict, that's thirty five years there, and he'd have to have been 20ish in the beginning, so he's what, 55 now?

Could be, I guess.

Edited by Catherinewriter

Hello, Rudolph Martin! Though he looks a bit leaner than the last time I saw him.  

I had to rewind the pulling-them-over scene because I was too busy going "Anton?? Anton!?!?!?!?" And of course his name was dimitri.

I liked this better than last week's, but man the psych session confused me. I was lost in the review of his time undercover. I couldn't tell if there was a time jump until Martin went to Rice and said a "murder two days ago."

At least sexy Ali Larter got to play Sydney Bristow for an ep with the red bandage dress and shooting through the fringe one handed.

So how old is Martin supposed to be? If he volunteered in in Afghanistan I, then ran guns in the Bosnian conflict, that's thirty five years there, and he'd have to have been 20ish in the beginning, so he's what, 55 now?

Could be, I guess.

If he was volunteering at the tail end of Afghanistan I, then it would have been only 25 years ago instead of 35, thus putting him at a current age of about 45 or so. Also, Sean Bean himself is actually 55 years old. So I think it works in any case.

If he was volunteering at the tail end of Afghanistan I, then it would have been only 25 years ago instead of 35, thus putting him at a current age of about 45 or so. Also, Sean Bean himself is actually 55 years old. So I think it works in any case.

Remember that the US and several other countries boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics because of Soviet involvement in Afghanistan. I think we are safe to say there has always been something going on there, and let Martin be the same age as Sean Bean.

So, yeah, I am in agreement with those who liked this ep better than the pilot. I was bummed that my DVR decided that I didn't need to see either the last two minutes OR the previews. We'll have a little chat before the next ep....

I'm not thrilled that we keep losing minions.

Did anyone else chuckle when the Russian guy said that Troy was like Gandalf?

I was surprised when the end credits came up, having lost track of time.  It was fascinating watching Martin put on his Dante legend like an old coat and now we have to wait a week to see him in action.  I do like that they did not wrap up the storyline neatly within the hour.

Agent Busybody (Chestnut) is either going to be a thorn in Martin's side (and screw up the mission) or show up just in time to lend him some aid, thus becoming an ally.  With the way Martin's allies are dropping he's going to need some new recruits.

• Love 2

So I guess Ali Larter was signed primarily to provide the eye candy during the undercover ops.  That may be what she's best at anyway.

Yeah, not sure I get that Chestnut's detective would risk blowing a federal agent's undercover op just because he may have further info about the subway killing, especially when specifically told not to by his boss.

I like how the episode continues and it does feel a lot stronger than the pilot.

This bothers the crap out of me. I get that he thinks he's not letting bureaucracy stand in the way of justice, but at the same time, he has no idea if he's putting other agents at risk by putting surveillance on Martin.

I still don't understand how he was able to get the surveillance ball rolling just by calling up the surveillance team and saying "Oh, yeah, she approved it." I mean, wouldn't they need to see her signature on something before they start? Surveillance work isn't free, and surveillance equipment isn't free, and this is all supposed to be regulated.

• Love 2

If he was in Afghanistan from the beginning of the Soviet action, it's 35 years, since it's almost 2015. But if Sean Bean is really that old, that's okay, I guess. The woman with the high-top fade hair is really neat. She looks familiar, but I don't know her.

If he was in Afghanistan from the beginning of the Soviet action, it's 35 years, since it's almost 2015. But if Sean Bean is really that old, that's okay, I guess. The woman with the high-top fade hair is really neat. She looks familiar, but I don't know her.

That's Tina Majorino. As a child actress, she was in Corina Corina, Waterworld, some movie about a sea lion, and When a Man Loves a Woman (I think). As an adult, she's done guest spots on Bones and Castle, and she was in Napoleon Dynamite as Deb!

• Love 1

I was very tense watching this, possibly because even if I know he's the lead, I'm predisposed to assume he is going to die soon.

I'm in it for SeanFucking!Bean, and if that makes me shallow, then, I proudly wear the shallow hat.

Pretty much me too.

Overall I liked it enough that Sean Bean can keep me watching and I adore Tina Majorino.

Yeah, the gratuitous lap dance scene was not making me very optimistic.

Damn, I liked Bobby! I wondered if Not!Martin killed Bobby in some sort of blackout?

Don't tell me, I haven't gotten around to watching the next episodes yet.

That's Tina Majorino. As a child actress, she was in Corina Corina, Waterworld, some movie about a sea lion, and When a Man Loves a Woman (I think). As an adult, she's done guest spots on Bones and Castle, and she was in Napoleon Dynamite as Deb!

More importantly - to me, at least - she's Mac in Veronica Mars! And recently completed a stint as an intern on Grey's.

• Love 1
But the show stretches credibility. In this day and age with the Internet, it is impossible to believe that Malcolm's or any FBI legend can stand up to even cursory scrutiny by criminals

I wondered about that too, but maybe they have a Chloe O'Brien somewhere covering all the tracks. I mean, there are real agents and police officers working undercover all around the world, so my guess is that there is a preemptive counter scrutiny.

This episode was much better. I'm waiting for the big reveal that Chestnut's character lost someone (partner, mentor, girlfriend) as the result of some of Martim's undercover missions, because that whole plot makes no sense. He is a detective, doesn't he get that by blowing a federal agent cover he is painting a huge mark on the man's head? 

I think that Ali Later was a bit more at ease there. I'm still no excited about the character, but I hope it improves. I don't see the chemistry between Ali and Sean, but we'll see, I guess. I'm curious about Martim's family, because at this point I'm a 110% sure the wife is an undercover agent, too. That kid is adorable, even though he doesn't look like them. Only thing that annoys me is that between Amber Valetta and Ali Later this show could have done much better than casting two blonde in their 30's (look-wise) actresses who are not really talented.

Tina is a delight.

Edited by Raachel2008

I like Martin's ongoing family drama. Martin's love for his son and tense relationship with his estranged wife shows that he has a lot to lose if he is mentally unstable and/or is really someone else. I like that his wife clearly worries about his mental health and the son tries to be the peacemaker like many kids of divorce.

I dislike shows, especially those procedurals, where no one in the main cast in the work place is married or has any significant family entanglement other than when it is introduced to drive a story. It is so unrealistic and the characters feel like they are going through the motions.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I'm in it for SeanFucking!Bean, and if that makes me shallow, then, I proudly wear the shallow hat

Mind if I pull up a chair next to yours? I've been waiting for him to be in something where he actually LIVES, for ages. And I love that the promos for the show play up his penchant for not making it out alive. #dontkillseanbean

• Love 1
Martin poses as an international arms dealer to rescue kidnapped chemist Richard Hubbard and track the sale of VX gas. Before long, he connects with a beautiful arms trader and slips into a shadowy romance with her.

Yawn. I didn't care about Dante's liaison with whatshername arms trader. Nor did I care about the Hubbards getting rescued. But it was nice to see Mac using her hacking skills. And driven, hot Morris Chestnut is always welcome.

I totally cracked up when right after Crystal declared that Martin's approach with the arms trader wasn't going work, it ended up totally working.  She really kind of sucks as a handler, huh?  By the way, the arms trader was totally on that horrible show The Event a few years back, so it was fun seeing her again.

So, this story is continuing on.  They saved Hubbards at least, but now it's about Martin getting the chemical weapons away from the baddies.  I wonder how long this arc is going to be?  And, baring a misdirect, it looks like Martin killed someone to maintain his cover, so I'm sure that's totally going to help out his psyche!

This episode was by the numbers, but Sean Bean is still enough to keep me watching.

Man, was there even a mention of the dearly departed Troy?  They at least said something about Bobby, last week.  I guess these folks really don't get shaken up, when their co-workers die.

Rice/Morris Chestnut is totally not letting go, and is probably going to dig even deeper.  I doubt Gates' threats are really going to stop him, at this point.

• Love 1

Rice/Morris Chestnut is totally not letting go, and is probably going to dig even deeper.  I doubt Gates' threats are really going to stop him, at this point.

I fear for his safety...

• Love 1

Yawn.

Agreed.

And-

This episode was by the numbers, but Sean Bean is still enough to keep me watching.

Agreed again.

I always wonder when I see someone like Sean Bean and also Steve Harris and Morris Chestnut what they have seen in the show that made them want to sign on.  Because this is all pretty generic.  But I will continue to watch for those 3.  And I like Tina Majorino but why is she always a computer geek?  Even on Grey's Anatomy I got a computer geek vibe from her.

TV is a steady gig, with a regular paycheck and mostly in one location.  And maybe Sean Bean liked the challenge of playing different roles in one show.  I noticed that his British accent and demeanor as the arms dealer Dante was different from his accent and demeanor as Martin.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Why exactly is an FBI agent investigating what appears to be a run of the mill homicide?

While I am enjoying the show, I don't know if I can keep it up once the network fall season starts.  I don't know if I will make it past next week's episode.

I thought this show would interest me. I put it in "My Shows" after all, because of the Beanmeister. A few  minutes of the pilot did me. Well that's not giving the show a chance so tuned in to this episode long enough to see Sean take a hot iron to a Frenchman to extract information. "Too bad this doesn't have a Frenchman setting!"  Then sizzle burn scream scream. (I assume, I had it on mute.) "And don't lie, because I'll know!" Yea sure you will. And the Frenchman gives up the whatever the hell it was because torture works and...click, that's it for me.

How do these actors end up in crap like this? Liam Neeson another example. They'll take any damn stupid thing, as if working off debt. Exercise some judgment you Brit/Irish actors. Remember Bean as Major Sharpe? Alas.

• Love 1

I think this show is a classic case of its biggest asset being exactly what makes the show weak in other aspects. Sean Bean is a freaking genius, he sells each one of those legends, plus Martin himself; anything they throw at him, he makes it work. Why care about a strong writing and all those small details when your leading actor just knocks it out of the park no matter how bad or silly or full of holes the story is? JMO.

• Love 2

TV is a steady gig, with a regular paycheck and mostly in one location.  And maybe Sean Bean liked the challenge of playing different roles in one show.  I noticed that his British accent and demeanor as the arms dealer Dante was different from his accent and demeanor as Martin.

A role like that must be like crack for an actor. You get to play the main character, who might not be real either AND all the other ones.

Agreed, this episode wasn't so good but I can't look away from Sean Bean's face. Except when he dropped (or did he) the nerve gas into the guy's eye. I can't with eyes, I must look away.

I really hope he won't hook up with the annoying handler.

There was tons more chemistry with agent Rice.

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode. It had far less Ali Larter than the previous two and since her character and/or her characterization of Crystal makes it impossible for me to suspend disbelief. Her obvious attraction to and hostility toward Martin makes her completely implausible in the part for me. A handler who essentially does nothing but bad-mouth and undermine the undercover operative should not be in the position she is. Such a character might work in a Devil's Advocate type of position, but when her animus is clearly rooted in the personal, it does not fly.

In addition to Sean Bean, I would like to see more Steve Harris, Morris Chestnut (why is his character so driven even to the detriment of his career?), and the actress who plays the computer tech. They each bring something to the show. I have an interest in them and want to know more about their characters.

I also like that we get each legend for three or four episodes. This type of undercover work isn't easily wrapped up in a single action and the episodes should reflect this reality.

• Love 4

Work prevented me from watching this yet, but I have to add that I think that maybe Crystal and Martin had a thing or a one time fuck or something and that could be another reason she's constantly bad mouthing him/saying he's not the right agent, blah, blah, blah. I think there was some oblique reference to it in the pilot.

Otherwise, it makes no sense, since we haven't been told that Martin fucked up any ops.

I actually liked this episode. It had far less Ali Larter than the previous two and since her character and/or her characterization of Crystal makes it impossible for me to suspend disbelief. Her obvious attraction to and hostility toward Martin makes her completely implausible in the part for me. A handler who essentially does nothing but bad-mouth and undermine the undercover operative should not be in the position she is. Such a character might work in a Devil's Advocate type of position, but when her animus is clearly rooted in the personal, it does not fly.

In addition to Sean Bean, I would like to see more Steve Harris, Morris Chestnut (why is his character so driven even to the detriment of his career?), and the actress who plays the computer tech. They each bring something to the show. I have an interest in them and want to know more about their characters.

I also like that we get each legend for three or four episodes. This type of undercover work isn't easily wrapped up in a single action and the episodes should reflect this reality.

While I agree on the point made about Larter's handler, I'd like to see if they develop that any further. For all the noise made about Martin being undercover for so long, then immediately being sent back in, TPTB really haven't done anything more to show us just what issues might be there beyond the Pilot.

Yes, to more of each Harris, Chestnut and Majorino. Their characters are intriguing to me, too.

Was it just me, or does the wife appear to be wearing the same thing every time we see her?

supposebly, sadly, I think he did apply the eyedrops. If Pinioned Man doesn't die, Dante's not going far with his investigation.

So, now we know what Crystal's purpose is: to whine and whine and WHINE about how Martin is not the right person for the job...that he's burned out...that he's too orthodox...that he's not that good at his job...only to be proved wrong. AGAIN.v

I laughed when they said there was no VCX or VDX or whatever that is in the warehouse where the family was being held, if only because Crystal was WRONG about being SO CERTAIN that's where it was.

I love Morris Chestnut, but I really don't like what a moron his character is; assuming that Rice is also a federal agent, he should KNOW why Martin isn't available

and what continuing to solve the homeless man's murder could do. And the fact that he didn't get in trouble for lying about being able to use the wire to track him.

Bean continues to impress. But Paulanos' mole kept distracting me and I don't find her attractive at all.

And I wish Martin's wife would just STFU. This goes back to my opinion on television's and movies' portrayals of ALL WIVES who are married to agents who do undercover work complaining about it or not even trying to understand when the effects of such work takes its toll. Like her attitude over Martin not remembering where he proposed. It would be different if Martin was a bean counter or something. Hell, his son is more understanding when Martin has to break plans, and I think the kid's cute. Bean just lights up whenever they're together; and how Martin just transformed into Dante when he got the call from Paulanos. Wow.

• Love 1

Sean Bean had me at Boromir and completely owned me at Ned Stark.  His acting and appearance [/shallow comment] can raise even a meh show up to something I look forward to watching every week.

When I heard that Ali Larter is pregnant, I hoped that they wrote her character out of the show, getting killed or going on a break or some such thing.  Yes, kids, hope springs eternal.

• Love 1

And I wish Martin's wife would just STFU. This goes back to my opinion on television's and movies' portrayals of ALL WIVES who are married to agents who do undercover work complaining about it or not even trying to understand when the effects of such work takes its toll. Like her attitude over Martin not remembering where he proposed. It would be different if Martin was a bean counter or something. Hell, his son is more understanding when Martin has to break plans, and I think the kid's cute. Bean just lights up whenever they're together; and how Martin just transformed into Dante when he got the call from Paulanos. Wow.

I think we need more information about Martin's career history relative to his marriage when we examine Martin's wife's attitude. If he was already an undercover operative when they met and got married, and if she was aware of that aspect of his job, then you expect her to try to be understanding, because she knew she wasn't signing up for life with a corporate drone. But it's a completely different situation if he was just a civilian or even a regular badge-carrying agent when they married, and he went into undercover work after they'd been married a while, especially if he got into it after their son was born. In either case, the fact that they have a child accounts for a significant amount of strain on the marriage. Once you have kids, you want your husband to start taking on work that's less dangerous and time consuming, something that allows him to be more involved at home. So when he doesn't do it, that causes anxiety and conflict in the relationship.

Furthermore, because Martin is now reaching a point where he's forgetting significant events from his own life, it makes sense that his wife would become even more anxious, regardless of the chronological point during or before their marriage he began undercover work. If Martin can't remember who he is or how to act like someone who's NOT an arms dealer/suicide bomber/whatever, then how is Mrs. Odom supposed to trust that her son will be safe with Martin, or that someone Martin's investigating won't pop up while he's out with Aidan?

• Love 1

Average episode. I have no problem with Martin's wife. She clearly cares about him and is worried about his mental health. It is good to see someone putting his well being above the job because his boss certainly is not.

I would not single out Crystal. I think she, the supervisor, and the agent chasing Martin are all predictable and bland characters. 

I always wonder when I see someone like Sean Bean and also Steve Harris and Morris Chestnut what they have seen in the show that made them want to sign on.  Because this is all pretty generic. 

As African American actors, I am pretty sure that Steve Harris and Morris Chestnut get limited offers so they likely take a lot of roles that they don't like.

Why exactly is an FBI agent investigating what appears to be a run of the mill homicide?

Good question. If he was a homicide cop assigned to the case, I would understand his determination to close the case, but as things stand his involvement makes little sense.

• Love 2

The impression I got was that Mark Chestnut's character only became involved because 1) local police CCed him on the homicide because it happened at the train station, and his department is specifically concerned with crimes that occur on public transportation, but more so because 2) Martin brought it to his attention by coming around asking questions. If a crime was committed by a federal agent, local police are likely not going to receive much cooperation from the FBI, according to every cop show cliché ever. This agent is likely trying to cut through the bureaucracy that protects federal agents who abuse their power. The problem is that he's connecting the dots out of order and coming up with the wrong picture of what happened. And his supervisor, in spite of previously telling him to kick the case upstairs, has now tacitly given him permission to pursue it, even though he's not actually a homicide cop, probably because she knows he's just going to annoy her continuously before deciding to investigate anyway.

And actually, I can kind of see how Rice is right to investigate. Because when Steve Harris's character finds out what's going on, he DOES agree to use his power and status within the bureaucracy to protect Martin from being investigated, on the condition that they will "talk" later. I'd have to re-watch the episode to be sure, but I'm not even certain Harris's character (Gates, I believe?) is all that concerned or even interested in whether or not Martin actually killed that man beyond whether the incident will affect his performance at work.

So actually, this show is a study in Weber's theory of bureaucracy.

it was a waste for Bobby to have been killed off so quickly.

I think more could have been done to establish the team before killing people off or going too deeply into the mystery of just who Martin is.

Totally agree. They got rid of the peripheral players who could have kept things interesting, and tipped their hand that that his "real idendity" may not be, both WAY too soon for my taste.

Edited by slothgirl
Martin is sold VX gas, resulting in the apprehension of the Colonel and Ana Paulanos. In response, one of the Colonel's minions releases VX on a crowded bus, and promises more attacks if the Colonel and Ana aren't released.

I get why they had to spend time with the Colonel and Ana - to set up the climax of the episode - but I found myself zoning out during their scenes.

Martin's starting to spiral, and I'm sure killing that one guy with VX and seeing Ana die aren't going to help his mental health.

Morris Chestnut's character is the main vehicle for the "Who is Martin Odum" plotline at this time. I sure hope that changes next week. His character feels isolated from the rest of the show.

• Love 1

I cannot believe that Ana went for suicide by cop rather than doing five years in prison and then being free of that sick bastard who raped and murdered her mother. She clearly has never heard the saying that living well is the best revenge.

It is so unbelievable that anyone would attack the FBI in the middle of this country that I rolled my eyes when the bad guy fell for it. I mean, how could Dante suddenly wrestle up these professional murderers and if he could, why were they not doing his security before?

I just cannot buy these legends, maybe they should focus on the Martin's true identity plot more.

• Love 1

It is so unbelievable that anyone would attack the FBI in the middle of this country that I rolled my eyes when the bad guy fell for it. I mean, how could Dante suddenly wrestle up these professional murderers and if he could, why were they not doing his security before?

Because they weren't "his" soldiers.  They worked for his "clients," who wanted their money, their merchandise and/or the guy who cheated them getting slowly chopped into catmeat.  Yuri bought it because he'd previous seen "Dante" kill a dude with VX.