Type keyword(s) to search

Legends - General Discussion

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Agent Martin Odum returns to the FBI after an assignment infiltrating a domestic terrorist organization; Martin tries to connect with his estranged wife and son; a mysterious stranger confronts Martin with information.

Available online and around the place now.

I'm somewhat interested in the ongoing storyline, even if it seems fairly silly, but the whole case of the week bit felt incredibly generic, despite them casting Zeljko Ivanek as the bad guy.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but that's mainly because I'll watch almost anything that Tina Majorino is in. So far she's basically playing Mac again; hopefully she'll get more to do as the show goes on.

As far as pilots goes, I enjoyed this one Not excellent but ok-good. The main arc/mythology is enough to keep me interested, though I agree the case of the week was not impressive.

Sean Bean owned every single scene he was in. Great acting. I adore Tina Majorino and Zeljko Ivanek and I liked what I saw with them, though, hell, yes, give Tina more. Steve Harris has ALWAYS annoyed me, and I know he is going to annoy me endless in this show. During his scenes I had Eugene Young flashbacks and wanted to punch my computer. I thought I was past that, but I guess The Practice scarred some of us for life. Ali Later is so pretty it hurts, and it was also painful to watch that scene between her and Sean Bean in the motel room, because her acting is a hundred years light behind his.

Legends doesn't have Homeland depth (yet) or 24 outrageous twists (yet), but I liked what I saw and I will keep watching.

I read somewhere that episode 2 is available online, but I can't find it anywhere.

Edited by Raachel2008

I think it's definitely worth giving a shot.  I don't mind case of the week type shows, but I'm not sure how well that structure really fits with a show about a guy who infiltrates groups over a span of months or years.  So, I hope they stick with a single group over a long period of time rather then a weekly format.  I am interested in the main arc.  Since this is based on books, I'm rather tempted to go read one, but that would completely kill the TV show for me.

Also, I was feeling like his estranged wife and missing his son situation was really cliche (although, I do understand that it's a likely outcome in his situation) and this "you don't realize you're living a Legend" thing gives me some hope that it wont be the exact same thing I've seen about 1,000 times already.

• Love 1

Going by the description on Amazon, the novel has a very different setup to the show:

Martin Odum, disgraced CIA field agent turned private detective in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, is struggling his way through a labyrinth of memories of past identities – ‘legends’ in CIA parlance. Is he really Martin Odum? Is he Dante Pippen, IRA explosives maven turned CIA agent? Or is he another legend? These men speak different languages, like different foods and women, and have different skills, and Odum’s not sure if he’s suffering from multiple personality disorder, brainwashing or just plain exhaustion.

When Odum is employed to solve a case for a young Russian, Stella Kastner, he is drawn back into the world he left not remembering quite why, struggling to untangle his true identity while under the strains of mortal danger and psychological disorientation.

An extraordinarily intelligent thriller, taut and explosive, Legends is an unrelentingly arresting page-turner.

I think it's definitely worth giving a shot.  I don't mind case of the week type shows, but I'm not sure how well that structure really fits with a show about a guy who infiltrates groups over a span of months or years.  So, I hope they stick with a single group over a long period of time rather then a weekly format.  I

If I understood correctly, the show navigates between two of his legends and Martin himself, but Martin may be a legend, too, his true identity a mystery. 

This was a pretty decent pilot. Like others, I'm intrigued by the long-term story surrounding Martin's identity. Likable cast (RIP, Bobby).

I'm sorry they killed off the guy who was following Martin. I'm assuming he was also a deep cover operative and that he was trying to find out his true identity?

What? No Small talk thread? In the Media, etc? etc?

Well I just finished watching it and I got visions of Ludlum's Jason Bourne. Not the horrid movies, but the first book--which was most excellent, in that Bourne, or rather, David Webb, was a CIA operative who was a chameleon and could become anyone.

That said, I really enjoyed it. Hell, I'm just glad to see Bean back on my screen, and a good guy, as well.  Now I'll be wanting one of his legends to bust out with an Irish Brogue, because that and the Scots brogue, is a huuuuge weakness of mine.  And I like how his British accent is explained.

Poor Bobby! I really liked him. And I like the other IT girl. That other agent, the one who was an asshole and thinks that Martin should have been put out to pasture? I wouldn't mind if he went away. Very, far, far, away, please, thankyouverymuch.

I enjoy Steve Harris, so I'm glad to see him on my screen again as well.

It's going to take me some time to forget that Ali was Brook on Legally Blonde, and to see her as the field leader or whatever her title is.

I'm in it for SeanFucking!Bean, and if that makes me shallow, then, I proudly wear the shallow hat.

• Love 5

I hate to say this, becuase there are a lot of actors in the pilot that I really like, but I thought it was dreadfully boring.  Totally paint by numbers - there were absolutely no surprises at all, and the strip club thing was completely gimmicky and unrealistic.  On the other hand, Ali Larter looked totally smoking,

I realize that it was the pilot, with a lot of exposition and setting up, so I'll give it a few more weeks. 

• Love 1

I decided to start this since there are many well-known actors in this show. What are your favorite roles? Mine are:

Sean Bean- Ned Stark (duh)
Tina Majorino- Mac on Veronica Mars is number one, but I also loved her in When a Man Loves a Woman.
Ali Larter- none, but I did watch her on Heroes
Steve Harris- The Practice

Edited by GenL
Corrected movie title

At times Sean Bean’s hair looked horrible. Was it a wig?

Why in the world the CIA have a tighter leash on the guy who was helping Martin? They should’ve had that guy in witness protection until they took down the Founding Father.

Totally unrealistic that Crystal would show up just to tell Martin that his CI was murdered. Not only could it have compromised the case if the Arayan group was watching  Martin’s hotel room, but it could’ve caused even the most seasoned uncover to go off the rails and blow the case.

I knew poor Bobby was done for as soon as he got to close to the truth the investigation Martin asked him to do.

So who is Martin?!  And why would the CIA be covering up who he truly is? Why would his identity be so deep even he don’t know who he is? Is this another version of the Bourne Identity?

The deep cover case this week wasn’t very interesting, but Martin’s mysterious past was.

I’m intrigued. Will definitely be back next week.

• Love 1

I so wanted to love this, this being Sean Bean. I thought it was boring. I could not stop rolling my eyes at the guy who has a secret to tell Martin, but instead of just spitting it out, he is all cryptic and gets killed leaving so a mysterious book to be decoded. However, it is Sean Bean so I am hanging in there and hoping that things turn around in a couple episodes.

• Love 5

As a big Sean Bean fan, I've been looking forward to this show ever since I heard about it months ago.  Maybe my perception is clouded a bit since Sean Bean is the reason I wanted to see this, but I did enjoy it, and I thought he was very good in it.  Sure, it's not perfect, but it engaged me.  I  never saw 24 or Homeland, and I don't think it's really fair to compare shows.  That puts the show at a disadvantage right away, when people have expectations based on similar shows. I'll be back next week.

• Love 3

I LOVE this genre (Bourne, Homeland, 24, Baldacci, etc.) and was so looking forward to this. I think I might have enjoyed this more had most of it not been shot in the dark with whispery dialogue (says the old lady who can’t see). I’m intrigued enough to watch for the rest of the summer, but sadly, this prob would not make my broadcast season must-see list. (Snaps for Tina M – she is a delight!) (And I anticipated not being able to believe Ali as an agent, but she acquitted herself well.)

SeanFucking!Bean indeed. (He will always be the baddie from Patriot Games to me.)

Sean Bean - Sean Miller, Patriot Games

Tina Majorino - Mac, Veronica Mars

Ali Larter - Legally Blonde "You know a Delta Nu would never sleep with a man who wears a thong."

Zeljko Ivanek - Andre Drazen, 24

Tina Majorino- Mac on Veronica Mars is number one, but I also loved her in Hope Floats.

GenL -  I don't think she was in Hope Floats. The little girl (Bernice?) was played by Mae Whitman.

Edited by betsyboo

Thought it was terrible. And I love Sean Bean, and I would be willing to watch just to look at Ali Larter and Amber Valletta every week. But it's so dumb. The villains are laughable and intelligence-insulting, and the good guys are so stock-character-y. So disappointed.

• Love 1

Sean Bean was definitely the highlight, and pretty much the main reason I"m going to stick with it.  He was awesome, of course, and I'm interested in what is really going on with Martin Odum.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to another round of "rebel agent fighting the system!", and I'm especially not looking forward to the whole "estranged wife and son" thing.  I swear, it feels like it's becoming real popular on shows this summer (see: The Strain), and I always find it boring.

I ain't complaining, but between this and Heroes, I'm wondering if Ali Larter is required by TV law, to have at least one strip scene on her shows.  As soon as they were like "Quick, we need to somehow tell Odum his cover has been blown, but he's already in the strip-club!", and she was just like "I got this!", I knew it was undercover stripper time.  I wonder if she borrowed the outfit from one of the actual strippers, or she just always has one with her, in case you ever need a nice stripper outfit.  Hell, maybe she just wears it and dramatically rips her clothes off, superhero style, when the time comes!

The rest of the characters were just stock, although I did like Maggie enough.  But I can tell that I'm already going to dislike the younger, toolish guy, who thinks Odum is "over the hill."  It probably doesn't help that he looks a lot like Ward from Agents of SHIELD.  Is there just an assembly line, where they make guys like that?

Zeljko Ivanek was fun, but I really liked seeing Coover from Justified as Odum's informant.  On one hand, he dies, of course.  But, on the other hand: he finally plays a decent person!

I'm glad they found a way to keep Sean Bean with a British accent, and he won't be speaking in an American one the entire time. That tends to make British actors sound bland.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Before last year I would have said Eugene Young from The Practice, but playing with his real life brother as Roscoe on Justified would be it for Steve Harris.

For Sean Bean, probably still Richard Sharpe from the Sharpe Rifles series. Or when he "turned" bad Alec Trevelyan from Bond's Goldeneye or the wannabe mercenary Spence in Ronin.

I recognize Ali Larter, but she was never much more than eye candy and being the handler going in as a stripper doesn't do much to change that image.

• Love 1

It made me flashback to Wiseguy were they spent years establishing Vinny Terrenova's cover. Today a quick net search  with one misspelled name is the extent of a check seems kind of false shortcut.

Edited by Raja

I like Sean Bean, which was the reason for checking out this show . I will probably stick it out for a few episodes since there isn't much 9pm competition.

But things such as the following could probably cause me to tune out :

1. Tech team with magical skillz (feeding a false internet search in about 20 seconds? No.)
  2. Must stop Imminent Terrorist Attack - for the 10 millionth time ...
  3. Deep cover spy who wants to reconnect with his family. Yeah, that should go well. 
  4. First episode and the lead female is already playing a stripper. Not a good sign.
Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

I'm a long-time ticket holder on the "SeanFucking!Bean" train, so I'll be here for a while. The show doesn't have a season pass on my DVR yet, though.

It is fun to see Tina Majorino growing up and I think there is a lot for the team to do in coming together, even if it was a waste for Bobby to have been killed off so quickly.

Downsides? mr. c wasn't impressed, so it'll be DVR viewing. Ali Larter deserves to be more than a shrew. I think more could have been done to establish the team before killing people off or going too deeply into the mystery of just who Martin is.

I'll give it another couple weeks to see if it gets Season Pass, or just a pass.

I think this show started to lose me the moment Sean Bean started in with his entirely unconvincing super-duper southern american accent.  Am I supposed to think the virginia terrorist guys can't tell the difference?  Does the show think I can't tell the difference?  I know, it's a little thing but it wrong-footed me right from the get-go.  I mean fake cover-story Vinnie Terranova was also from brooklyn, just like actual Vinnie Terranova.  If Vinnie had started affecting a cockney accent to actual cockney thugs, Wiseguy would have sucked too.  The trick is getting them to accept you, not getting them to think 'we grew up in the same holler, you just don't remember me'.  

I'll give it a couple more weeks, but they'd better pick it up.

Edited by henripootel

I was underwhelmed by the pilot, but it's a pilot. I'll give it a few more shows. If they keep doing stupid stuff like with the guy with the secret, though, I'm out. By the way, what was the book he gave Martin?

I found Tina Majorino's hair as distracting here as I did in the VM movie.

• Love 1

I think this show started to lose me the moment Sean Bean started in with his entirely unconvincing super-duper southern american accent.  Am I supposed to think the virginia terrorist guys can't tell the difference?  Does the show think I can't tell the difference?  I know, it's a little thing but it wrong-footed me right from the get-go.  

Maybe it's because I'm not Southern, or from the South, but all I heard was a regular ole' American accent.  The person he was supposed to be also had a very bad stutter. I thought Bean did a good job. {shrugs}

Now, all I want is for him to bust out with Oirish Accent, and I'll be very happy.

It takes very little to please me. 

When I watch shows like these, I throw all my beliefs out the window. I don't want to have to think and just enjoy, especially when actors I love are involved in said project. I suppose it's because Bean's last show before Game of Thrones, or was it after? ABC's Missing...well that was cut short right after it was revealed he didn't die (I called that from the pilot), and the set up, I'm sure was for his character to find his wife, played by Ashley Judd, who was kidnapped in the last episode.

But that's just me.

• Love 2

I find it much more enjoyable to curtail some of my critical thinking skills with shows like this and just be entertained.  I was, despite the nitpicks, so I am in.

GHScorpiosRule - I'm a huge GoT fan and I really loved that Ashley Judd/Sean Bean show, too - I was disappointed it was cancelled (the scenery was nice, too).

• Love 3

I am on the fence about the pilot. Standard plots, ie distressed ex-wife, secret guy who gets killed before telling him what he knows, chick playing a stripper/hooker type, etc.

But it's SeanfuckingBean so yea, I'm in.

• Love 1

At times Sean Bean’s hair looked horrible. Was it a wig?

I noticed that, too. I hate that I perpetually notice shit like that because it always take me out of the scene. It's my curse.

I'm here for Sean Bean. Not the best pilot ever, but I bought the ticket and will take the ride.

• Love 1

I also noticed the "wig."

I am also pretty shallow and here for Sean.  For the most part, I found Sean's acting fine. The accent was off though. I think I will enjoy trying to figure out the Martin Odhum mystery more than anything. I seriously want to know what that is about.

Some of the casting choices I do question, and I am not referring to Larter. 

I am in until the end. It was no worse than the average pilot. 

The show didn't blow my mind from awesomeness but I'm here just for Sean Bean. Loved to see him in action again. Seems writers are having a hard time coming up with new plots. It is like it has all been done before; sometimes better, sometimes worse. I will continue to watch.

Like many, I think Sean Bean is great and I am primarily watching for him.

I knew Bobby was going to die as soon as he got close -- too bad because I liked the character and thought he would add something good to the show.

I also like the younger female agent who worked tech.

I think Steve Harris is great, so I am happy he is part of the cast -- hope he is not revealed to be a villain.

I am excited for the introduction of Morris Chestnut -- saw him in the previews and since he is in TNT's new BOOM commercials, I am concluding that he is not just in an episode or two.

Not a fan of Ali Larter, I think she sucks as an actress, so I can do without her character. If they are planning to pair her with SB, they missed the boat on acting skills and lack of chemistry. If the chemistry was there AL lack of talent might be able to be overlooked, but sans chemistry, I was just stuck on how out of her league she was with those scenes.

• Love 2

This looks like another "He is better then everyone else but he doesn't like working with mere mortals" type story but with a "Who am I really" twist which never really appealed to me because both get old quickly.   I am kinda bored with the shows on lately so I will keep with it until fall when I am bound to get overloaded with better shows.    

Although two things...  

1.  Hi Mac from Veronica Mars.  It is nice to see you getting work.

2.  The main dude (who's name escapes me...but then he is going too have waaay to many names for me to remember so I am not going to bother to remember any of them) and the main chick have good chemistry so that at least won't drag down the show when they keep getting those strip club scenes they are going to get every episode.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

Sean Bean- toss up between Boromir on LOTR and Ned Stark on GoT

Ali Larter- Niki on Heroes

Steve Harris-Roscoe on Justified

Morris Chextnut- Ryan Nichols on V

I am not familiar with the rest of the cast.

• Love 1

Ali Later is so pretty it hurts, and it was also painful to watch that scene between her and Sean Bean in the motel room, because her acting is a hundred years light behind his.

Here's hoping for a John Noble effect on her. Anna Torv was ok when Fringe began. She was really good at the end of season 2 and awesome by the end of the show. If she doesn't suffer from the now famous Katie Cassidy's syndrom, Ali Larter should be able to improve her craft working with one of the best in the business.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3647360/?ref_=ttep_ep1 Michael Kelly is credited for being The Founding Father. I guess Zeljko Ivanek's legend was too tough to crack for the IMDB.

Sean Bean is a fantastic actor and I've been waiting for him to get a movie, tv or mini-series role that was worthy of him... unfortunately, based on the pilot episode, this isn't it.  But I'll keep watching and hope the show improves.

I love Sean Bean.  Nothing else matters to me.  I, too liked Missing with Ashley Judd and Sean Bean.  So, I guess this means that I am here for the run of the show...

I, too, will miss the tech guy, but maybe a similar type will come in.

• Love 1

Yeah for Sean Bean and with any luck, he'll actually survive to Season 2.  I too am here for him and hoping that the rest of the story (and acting of the co-stars) is good enough to keep my interest, unlike Blacklist.

• Love 1
When a high school chemistry teacher and his family are kidnapped, DCO takes the case because the teacher is a former chemical weapons engineer for the Russian Army, hidden by the CIA in the Witness Protection Program. Are the kidnappers using the teacher to manufacture VX gas? Martin, Crystal and Troy Buchannan go undercover to infiltrate the Chechen mob, rescue the family and stop the production of the deadly gas.

I think this was a stronger episode than the pilot. Malcolm feels more real now. But the show stretches credibility. In this day and age with the Internet, it is impossible to believe that Malcolm's or any FBI legend can stand up to even cursory scrutiny by criminals. Morris Chestnut's character tracking Malcolm is also unbelievable. 

Edited by SimoneS

"Bourbon, then."

Me: SWOOON.

What? I just love the way Bean says some woirds, and the way he said Bourbon made me well...hmm...you know!

I know I said two weeks ago, that I was throwing all belief out the window with this show, but Crystal? (Ali's character) and Gates watching Martin's psych evaluation? I guess nothing is private anymore.

Hello, Rudolph Martin! Though he looks a bit leaner than the last time I saw him.  And it looks like Troy has bitten it as well. Why don't these guys wear vests??

Crystal's attitude continues to annoy and got old last episode. Is she going to say the same thing again and again? About how Martin is pretty much burned out and can't trust him or whatever it was she said. I admit, I tune her out. Did love Gates telling her he saved her ass with the Founding Father.

More of Morris Chestnut and Sean Bean together please, thankyouverymuch.

Oooh, Rice is gonna git in troubllllle!

I do like how the plot of the week isn't resolved in one episode; so not strictly procedural of the week.

I think this was a stronger episode than the pilot. Malcolm feels more real now. But the show stretches credibility. In this day and age with the Internet, it is impossible to believe that Malcolm's or any FBI legend can stand up to even cursory scrutiny by criminals. Morris Chestnut's character tracking Malcolm is also unbelievable.

I think you mean Martin.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

"Coover Bennett: last week, and now it's "Johnny Crowder" as the chemistry teacher!  I'm loving the "Spot the Justified actor" game, very much.  Maybe Wynn Duffy will make his way here.  Or, if they splurge, Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins) or, the man himself, Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant.)!

Damn, they already killed Troy a.k.a. generic young hunk, who was hating on Martin in the pilot.  Did not expect that.  Maybe this show is going the opposite direction and, instead, Sean Bean will live in the end, but everyone else will die!

I do like that the case isn't over yet, so instead of it just being a "Case of the week" procedural with Sean Bean, it might actually take more then one episode for Martin to finish the mission.  I do wonder how many missions are planned for this season, and how many "Legends" of Martin's we'll be seeing.

So, Martin does some digging to find out more about the solider from last week, and he's now got Morris Chestnut's agent on his tail. Since he's doing this illegally, I suspect Morris' might regret this decision.  But, I can see him being a thorn in Martin's side for a while.

Still very uninterested in the stuff involving Martin's family. 

Certainly don't mind that they're continuing to find ways to put Ali Larter in sexy outfits.  This time, it was a tight red dress!

Was Maggie's hair different from the Pilot's?  For some reason, it was kind of distracting me tonight.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I finally just watched this. Ali Larter really drags the show down for me. Her acting is noticeably below basically the entire rest of the cast. Very distracting.

Although I'll probably still watch because, Sean bean.

Sean Bean is still mesmerizing to watch.  I kinda wished they would've introduced the personal family drama later on in the series because it does seem to drag down the episode.  I don't know if it's the writing or the acting, but Ali Larter's character is just so annoying.  It shouldn't be that difficult to write a strong female character who clashes with the hero but is still likeable.  Other TV shows do it all the time.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1