Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: False Starts And False Promises

• Start Topic

On 1/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I would pay extra for Discovery Plus Plus to get to see a Pillow Talk with Zied reacting to Hamza’s artless attempt at scamming his mother. So mach terrible.

Discovery Plus does not carry nor air current Pillow Talk.  Darn it.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, Kid said:

Testify!!   Does not fit the mindset.  Women are not expected to enjoy sex. In fact if they do, they are whores. That’s why I commented that I don’t understand why they pick up men from this culture.

Because they do zero research and are in la la land.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, lamujerdecente said:

In bed with the dreaded Plague- baby daddy came from NYC to deliver the child took his trifling ass to the beach for some party times then came back to say goodbye and now has tested positive. I am fully Vaxed and boosted but I have been lethargic and night sweats. 

I think he deserves a little jasmine. Speaking of that crazy heifer, I had my hair burned when I used to straighten the curls. I never beat the hair dryer, the blower or my stylists. Then again I got ny hair done at the Dominican Salons of NYC everyone including the hair dryer would fight back. 

sigh Xiemina. I still pity her because her life was never going to be easy but at the same time Mike doesn’t deserve her scams. Her kids are so cute. Run mike. If Xiemina wants a short desperate dude there is always Ed. 
I am annoyed that Alina and her friend made me feel slightly bad for Caleb. But then I caught sight of his shirt. Shudders. 

That shirt is making me rethink everything about Caleb!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

To a point, yes, I pity her....a lot about her situation she had zero control over. However, we have no idea how many guys online she has been playing for $$. So to that extent, this is all a game to her and Mike would be best to cut his losses now and go back home broken hearted. Let her keep what he has purchased and the gifts, maybe even give her some cash as a parting gift (don't want to upset narco baby daddy).....she will be texting pics to the next sucker within hours. 

It sounds like she had full agency about getting baby #2 on a conjugal visit.  Having a baby as a teenager, sure, that's a tough call.  Were I Mike, I'd be worried about what happens when the father is released from prison, but maybe he doesn't know about him yet?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, anoninrva said:

It sounds like she had full agency about getting baby #2 on a conjugal visit.  Having a baby as a teenager, sure, that's a tough call.  Were I Mike, I'd be worried about what happens when the father is released from prison, but maybe he doesn't know about him yet?

From my hazy way of watching this show, I think the coming attractions for next week showed Xiomena saying she lived with a hit man and then Mike starting to react. It really does look like he is mild mannered and all but is seeing the light. They do have to have some more episodes and filming matter you know.

Tune in next week.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Hamza’s mother was speaking to him in French. Memphis could have taken an introductory conversational course.

why does their French sound so different to me? I catch "ca va" and "Oui" but cannot ferret a single word out of their conversations. Is Tunisian French that different?

Jasmine/Gino: I am surprised Jasmine asked for his wallet, she knows his money is in a waist belt. Who could forget that pasty belly. I got serious Pol vibes w/his survival wear for a moment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/10/2022 at 7:40 AM, Stuckathome said:

So when Ximena's entire clan piled in the car for the trip to the hot springs, I was hoping someone here remembered my story of my free loading (even though they had money) ex inlaws from Peru that I posted in an earlier thread from this season. LOL....

That's when I would say, on the way to the hot springs just drop me off at the airport.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, anoninrva said:

It sounds like she had full agency about getting baby #2 on a conjugal visit. 

Sounds like, lol?  Had full agency.  Put her legs in the air to ensure a conception.

1 hour ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I think Memphis is worse. Brittany didn’t have any kids on whom to spring a stepdad she barely knows.

^^^^^^this^^^^^

• Love 4
16 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Gino is a perfect example of just because it is the weather for it, not everyone should wear shorts. And those sandals ick. I agree that he could use at least one outfit that fits. He is even bad at wearing that stupid hat. Get a fitted hat, or if he is really that insecure he should have gotten a toupee and got it over with. Somehow he is the cringiest one to me. 

Gino is just a G.D. mess to me.  Everything about him just bugs the piss out of me.  It's Steven from last season all over again but somehow worse.   A toothbrush as a Christmas gift??  Are you F'ing me?  

12 hours ago, Wollstonecraft said:

I agree.  No way is he going to be with her so good thing she thinks America is so shitty.  She's always pointing out things she doesnt like that Cale says or does.  Her twerpy pink haired comrade and the azzhat who drilled him aren't doing her any favors. When Caleb said she was a lot smaller than he imagined that said everything. He's not going to tote her around for the rest if his life.

Alina & Caleb are really starting to bother me.  I can't really figure out Caleb's angel.  Did he really think putting Alina on a treadmill was a good idea?  But I kinda get him wanting to do things with her soooo...IDK.  What really gets under my skin is Alina's friends giving him the 10th degree about the pace of their relationship.  It's certainly not the 1st time it's happened on this show but for some reason it feels so one sided now.  Maybe it's b/c both are in a different country?  Where are Caleb's friends at?  Alina seems to have an army of people ready to pounce at what they judge as normal or not but where is his support team?  That stupid smirk Alina gets everytime on of her minions starts attacking Caleb is really starting to annoy me.  How would she feel if he had 2 of his close friends with him and they started questioning her....not so cute anymore huh?

• Love 15

Caleb & Alina---we have no idea why kind of texts they exchanged in the more recent past. Maybe they were more sexual in nature and that is why she was expecting him to be all over her when he landed? Or they planned this as a way to get exposure for her music/modeling and his....whatever the hell he does in Arizona. I actually respect how he has tried to take it slow with her and respect her. Maybe there was a hint of romance in their texting and calls before the trip and once he told her the name of the show, she assumed a ring was coming her way??? I don't find him attractive at all----nice body but I hate the long hair, and there is something funky with the way his eyes are set. All said, while he may have made some missteps in how he has addressed her size, I don't think it was with ill intent. 

Memphis---whoever called her out as a more educated Brittany, spot on! Also if he says he was with 4 women before (I skipped that cringe conversation), guessing either he is lying because he is on tv and/or doesn't want her to think less of him or those women were prostitutes. This whole situation is on the Mohamed/Danielle "she smells bad" level of cringe 

• Love 13
On 1/7/2022 at 9:13 PM, Frozendiva said:

So Caleb didn't go all the way with Alina. He does recognize the size difference and I don't know if he really is attracted to her in-person. Maybe he is trying to be a decent guy thinking she is a decent girl and he should be a bit more respectful. And it isn't enough for her, or so it seems. He should be X Y and Z already. You two have been talking online off and on for 13 years. It is different in person. If she wants him to be more of a cad, tell him and that way she gets what she wants.

Jasmine takes Gino shopping. Expecting him to drop a few hundred dollars on clothes she'd prefer him to wear. Gino, you told her that you weren't currently working and you can't justify $500 on new clothes right now. You could have bought one pair of trousers and a shirt to make her happy. Chances are that you won't come back to buy the stuff and the clerk will put the clothes back.

Mike and Ximena did do it. The best night of his life and for her, just normal. And she has a secret. I think I zoned out for a minute but I believe she can't have any more kids. And that Mike wants to be a dad and have his own kids. She probably sees him as a stable, boring guy who can buy her stuff. No idea if this will work.

Alina's type of dwarfism seems different than any other little people I've seen on TV.  Her head seems like it's the size of a fully grown adult, whereas from the neck down she seems to be extremely small.  It definitely will take an understanding and committed partner that is willing to navigate having an intimate relationship with her.  Caleb has grown on me more and more with each episode.  I do think he's very conscious of the fact that Alina is a nice, good girl who deserves to be treated respectfully and with care and kindness.  As much as she's willing to move much faster than he is with regards to heightening their intimacy level, she also needs to recognize and respect that it's taking Caleb a different amount of time and knowing each other in person before he too is ready for the same thing.  Seemingly, as much as Alina is into having sex with him, that tells me that she must have also had sexual relations in her past with other regular sized people, since she doesn't seem at all put off by the prospect of having sex with regular height guy Caleb.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 1/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, seasons said:

Ximena's facial mole is really distracting me.

I can't stand anything growing on me like that.

My friend had one that she had to pluck the hairs out of from time to time. Gag.

But many people feel this is what God gave them or they don't want a scar. I'd take a scar any day over something like that. JMO, of course.

Every time I see Ximena and her mole all i can think of is of Fred Savage who played "The Mole" in Austin Powers - mo-lay, mo-lay, molay:

Edited by Xebug67
Changed "mole" to "mo-lay", because though it's spelled mole, in the movie they pronounce it mo-lay.
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Gino is just a G.D. mess to me.  Everything about him just bugs the piss out of me.  It's Steven from last season all over again but somehow worse.   A toothbrush as a Christmas gift??  Are you F'ing me?  

Alina & Caleb are really starting to bother me.  I can't really figure out Caleb's angel.  Did he really think putting Alina on a treadmill was a good idea?  But I kinda get him wanting to do things with her soooo...IDK.  What really gets under my skin is Alina's friends giving him the 10th degree about the pace of their relationship.  It's certainly not the 1st time it's happened on this show but for some reason it feels so one sided now.  Maybe it's b/c both are in a different country?  Where are Caleb's friends at?  Alina seems to have an army of people ready to pounce at what they judge as normal or not but where is his support team?  That stupid smirk Alina gets everytime on of her minions starts attacking Caleb is really starting to annoy me.  How would she feel if he had 2 of his close friends with him and they started questioning her....not so cute anymore huh?

Caleb isn't really feeling her, but I think he just wants to put a front on that he might be.  Her smirk is certainly off-putting as well as her freak-friends drilling him. He needs to tell them he's not answering to them, but to Alina. I really sided with her until the show went on.  She's hella creepy and I'm not referring to her physically. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

why does their French sound so different to me? I catch "ca va" and "Oui" but cannot ferret a single word out of their conversations. Is Tunisian French that different?

Jasmine/Gino: I am surprised Jasmine asked for his wallet, she knows his money is in a waist belt. Who could forget that pasty belly. I got serious Pol vibes w/his survival wear for a moment.

I looked it up. The language would have some Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, and Berber influences. Different slang, idioms, etc. Kind of like Quebec French vs France French - more archaic uses of the language, completely different slang, more Anglicisms, less formal, etc. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 1/10/2022 at 8:25 AM, Breedom said:

I have also noticed Alina's negative comments about Americans. Perhaps Alina could explain how she knows all this. I couldn't imagine being with someone from another country and slipping in these zingers about their people. I wish she would stop it.

Caleb is handling himself very well IMO. Taking things slow, handling the pressure from Alina and her tribe. I was so happy he told Alina's friend that the conversation they were having should be between himself and Alina. The friend needs to butt out. But no. Then the conversation between the two women continued in Russian, leaving Calib out. HOW RUDE. Geez, Alina, what a turn-off. Then they both glared at Caleb, silently.

So the deed will be done next week and it looks from the previews like Alina will immediately blab to Elijah. I just see Caleb really trying to feel this thing out, then when the intimacy does happen, that's when the news spreads. Shut it, girl . . . you don't have to share everything.

Caleb, shirtless so much. Why?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's because it's an Andy Cohen BRAVO show instead of one that's on TLC, LOL.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2022 at 10:19 AM, Jeanne222 said:

But…she has big boobies!  Lol

I wonder if that hair comes off?

It's so funny that you mention that, because for most of the episode whenever Memphis was shown I was distracted by what looked like the edges from a wig cap poking out from the hair on her forehead.  I could be mistaken, but something there kept drawing my eyes to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I get the feeling that Mike is just the "next guy." for Xcema, like when it is time for Mike to leave some other gringo will show up and play daddy for a week or so, this is not a new thing for her and I am sure her father's not so happy look is "here goes another one."

Also, Ximena didn't seem bothered by the kids coming into the bedroom the next morning after Mike arrived and seeing him in bed with her, nor did the kids seem surprised at all to see a strange man in mommy's bed, which makes me wonder what all they have been exposed to throughout their short lives with her as a mother.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:
On 1/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, Jeanne222 said:

But…she has big boobies!  Lol

I wonder if that hair comes off?

It's so funny that you mention that, because for most of the episode whenever Memphis was shown I was distracted by what looked like the edges from a wig cap poking out from the hair on her forehead.  I could be mistaken, but something there kept drawing my eyes to it.

I didn't think it was a wig cap but instead those little spit curls of her own hair that some women who wear wigs plaster to their foreheads. I am 100% sure she's wearing a wig (and not a very good one)

image.png.a0cd63d28a2cd1a1675c8846c01c3e4c.png

Edited by magemaud
edited to add a better picture
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

Have you forgotten Steven’s antics at the wine tasting with the other Russian Alina? 

Was that last season? I watched very sporadically, so didn't catch the wine tasting antics. Wasn't he the Mormon guy who spoke a little Russian because he was on a mission in Russia or something? 

There was another Steven a couple of seasons ago with his pregnant Russian fiancé. After awhile they all start to blend, lol. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Why does she have to talk about it at all? Especially to Elijah? I think Caleb would be upset if he knew she was kissing & telling so crudely. He seems to try to focus on the two of them & trying to develop and learn more about each other together, but Alina is immature & more strongly aligns with her friends than Caleb. I’m not a Caleb fan really, but she disrespects him overtly & subversively all the time. I don’t like the way she behaves — it’s not attractive. 

Alina is proof that people with infirmities can be as big a--holes as people who are not so challenged, and that those with infirmities should not be automatically placed on a pedestal and presumed to be great people just because of their infirmities/challenges.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

And don't forget how he couldn't wait for Christmas to give it to her.  It was such an amazing gift he had to give it to her right away, LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gobi said:

I see what you did there.

I wish I had been that clever, LOL.  It was an accidental, unintentional use of that word.  Thanks for picking up on it.  YOU'RE the clever one!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I wouldn’t mind an electric toothbrush for a gift.  Some of them are expensive.  Beats the socks and underwear I got as a kid from my grandparents.  I thought my parents should supply those.

I agree with you, Mr. Buhbye.  I would love that as a gift as well.  I just don't think Jasmine does.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

A toothbrush as a Christmas gift??  Are you F'ing me?  

Didn't somebody say that one of the cosmetic improvements he'd paid for her to have was new teeth? So maybe he just sees the toothbrush as a way of protecting his investment. Viewed in that light, it almost makes sense. Almost.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 1/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Burning Rubber said:

Johny's mother must be a cruel hag since his first wife left him to escape thr mother-in-law, and he wants to marry someone on the opposite side of the planet so that wife #2 doesn't have to deal with his mom.

She seems so nice and even-keeled it's difficult to imagine her being such a nightmare. I'm imagining lots of passive aggressive comments. Explanation of China's old one-child policy. Me: "You all didn't think that one through very well, did you?" 

On 1/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, Frozendiva said:

I usually tell someone if I am traveling and give a location. It may be my boss, a family member, friend.

Back in the '90s I read one of the best tips in a book about women traveling solo. Before you set out for the day, leave this with the reception desk where you're staying: a pre-printed piece of a paper that has your name, emergency contact, passport number, and your photo on it, and a blank space to write down where you'll be exploring that day. This way, if you don't return that night--especially if you're halfway across the world from home--the police know exactly where to start looking for you and also have your info on that piece of paper. I guess there's now that new-fangled locator on cell phones, LOL, but mine doesn't always get service. When I'm just solo hiking locally, I call a friend or family member to let them know what trail(s) I'm planning to be on and that if I don't call them by, say 10 pm, I probably need help.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, FrancescaFiore said:

LOVED Sniglets!

The two I've always remembered are the "blibula," which is the spot on a dog's belly that when you rub it it makes their leg start shaking uncontrollably, and "reintarnation," when a hillbilly dies and comes back in another life.

I initially felt bad for Jasmine that all Gino got her for Christmas was a damn electric toothbrush until all she gave him was those lame T-shirts (one of which was for her) and a pillow, both of which cost a LOT less than the toothbrush. I'll grant her that it was at least creative and romantic but the cheap quality seemed at odds with her air of sophistication. 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

She seems so nice and even-keeled it's difficult to imagine her being such a nightmare. I'm imagining lots of passive aggressive comments. Explanation of China's old one-child policy. Me: "You all didn't think that one through very well, did you?" 

Back in the '90s I read one of the best tips in a book about women traveling solo. Before you set out for the day, leave this with the reception desk where you're staying: a pre-printed piece of a paper that has your name, emergency contact, passport number, and your photo on it, and a blank space to write down where you'll be exploring that day. This way, if you don't return and are missing--especially halfway across the world--the police know exactly where to start looking for you and also has all your info on that piece of paper. When I'm just solo hiking locally, I call a friend or family member to let them know what trail(s) I'm planning to be on and that if I don't call them by, say 10 pm, I probably need help.

The two I've always remembered is the "blibula," which is the spot on a dog's belly that when you rub it it makes their leg start shaking uncontrollably. And "reintarnation," when a hillbilly dies and comes back in another life.

I initially felt bad for Jasmine that all Gino got her for Christmas was a damn electric toothbrush until all she gave him was those lame T-shirts (one of which was for her) and a pillow, both of which cost a LOT less than the toothbrush. I'll grant her that it was at least creative and romantic but the cheap quality seemed at odds with her air of sophistication. 

Well she did say Panamanians can’t afford to tip.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Wollstonecraft said:

Caleb isn't really feeling her, but I think he just wants to put a front on that he might be.  Her smirk is certainly off-putting as well as her freak-friends drilling him. He needs to tell them he's not answering to them, but to Alina. I really sided with her until the show went on.  She's hella creepy and I'm not referring to her physically. 

Really? My impression is very different after watching the last three episodes. Alina is simply desperate for attention, but Caleb is so in love with himself and his chakras that he looks creepy to me for sure.

I liked her friend’s facial expression when they were in the Hagia Sophia and Caleb started his spiritual talk

• Love 5
3 hours ago, deedee2 said:

Was that last season? I watched very sporadically, so didn't catch the wine tasting antics. Wasn't he the Mormon guy who spoke a little Russian because he was on a mission in Russia or something? 

There was another Steven a couple of seasons ago with his pregnant Russian fiancé. After awhile they all start to blend, lol. 

For your viewing pleasure. You're welcome. And, I'm sorry. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaBwO72VVJ4

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • LOL 3
On 1/10/2022 at 9:04 PM, deedee2 said:

OMG, I thought I was the only person on Earth who remembered Sniglets. The only ones I can recall are "Alfred Hitchcooking" - stabbing at a block of frozen vegetables to make them cook faster; and "Mega Nega Bar" - the line you draw on a check to prevent someone from writing, "and a thousand" dollars.

Ok, sorry for getting off topic. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, FrancescaFiore said:

LOVED Sniglets!

I still use "furble" to describe going through all the velvet ropes and stanchions that put you into a single line when you're in line at the bank.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, deedee2 said:

Yes, that's "Steven with a V." He was Mormon and didn't drink AT ALL but for some reason Alina got the bright idea that they should go to a Turkish wine tasting. He did everything he could to avoid drinking the wine and at one point he stuck his tongue in the glass. 

Edited by magemaud
sorry, I didn't realize the question had been answered
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I looked it up. The language would have some Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, and Berber influences. Different slang, idioms, etc. Kind of like Quebec French vs France French - more archaic uses of the language, completely different slang, more Anglicisms, less formal, etc. 

I have a friend from Morocco and he says that the French they speak in Morocco is very different from French in France. 

7 hours ago, deedee2 said:

Is wine/alcohol available in Turkey?

Yes, its a Muslim majority country but much more cosmopolitan and less strict. Its not a theocracy. More like Lebanon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

I agree with you, Mr. Buhbye.  I would love that as a gift as well.  I just don't think Jasmine does.

Dental hygiene must have figured prominently in their pre-meeting communications because just about the first thing she said to him at the airport was "Let me see your teeth." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Also, Ximena didn't seem bothered by the kids coming into the bedroom the next morning after Mike arrived and seeing him in bed with her, nor did the kids seem surprised at all to see a strange man in mommy's bed

Great catch. X may adore her kids, but I doubt she really has any idea of how to raise them.

• Love 5

Again, as a disabled woman, I'm excited by Alina's inclusion in the cast, but using her and Caleb's relationship to portray every single aspect of ableism and disability + sex is very performative and giving me whiplash. The producers' narrative makes zero sense. Two episodes ago, they wanted us to believe he wasn't attracted to her - now he's dicking her down on command? And their bizarrely lingering 5 minute soft core porn scenes feel like really disingenuous producer virtue signaling, as if they want. social justice points for showing (really showing) disabled sex. No one else has those scenes.

I'm also perplexed that Caleb is cool with the show portraying his character and his (presumably) sincere relationship with Alina as 1) steeped in ignorance and ableism and/or 2) exploited and hypersexualized fetish fodder. And if I were Alina, I wouldn't be thrilled to be painted as lovesick, desperate, and guilt tripping my boyfriend into sex.

Get that paycheck, I guess? (Watching him defend Alina's independence to her infantilizing friends was pretty hot, I must admit.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6