Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Minneapple

College Football

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Not only is Indiana punishing Michigan. It's not a fluke. They look like the more talented team.

I really thought the Harbaugh hiring would go a lot better than this. And they still have Ohio State on the schedule. 

BWAHAHAHA!  Harbaugh’s head is not only on a platter, but his khaki pant’s seat is on fire!

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Not only is Indiana punishing Michigan. It's not a fluke. They look like the more talented team.

I really thought the Harbaugh hiring would go a lot better than this. And they still have Ohio State on the schedule.

Outside one play on a long td, which was right after an ejection of an indiana safety and him being replaced by a rookie so michigan wisely went right at him for a long td, indiana totally dominated the first half michigan. Michigan was lucky to only be down 24-7.   

After that they just kind of played even.   But Indiana is a legit team, as an alum best team probably in my lifetime for them.  That is too long losing streaks broken. One more vs ohio state not sure that one will fall this year.  Plus they have wisconsin too.  But a say 6-2 record in this big ten division would be a historic season for them and it's very doable. 

I too though harbaugb would turn around michigan.  In fact I thought he would do it in 3-4 years and then go back to the nfl.  He may end up fired and no job at all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Unreal. I have a Heidi Bowl situation. My local network apparently thought the Clemson/Notre Dame game ended in regulation and switched to an infomercial instead of showing OT.

ETA They're back. I wonder if it was timed on the half hour for SNL.

Edited by xaxat
  • Surprise 4

Share this post


Link to post

Man there are going to be a lot of pissed off people tomorrow when they find out their SNL DVR was ruined by Notre Dame & Clemson!

Edited by Carey · Reason: Edited because I can't spell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On one hand, I have a lifelong loathing of Notre Dame and I hate seeing them win.

On the other hand, Dabo Swinney has shown himself to be an insufferable, holier-than-thou ass-mongrel.

OMG, why in the hell are there that many fans at the stadium and they let them rush the field.

Screw both of these teams.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Notre Dame has a snitch line to report students who are not obeying the campus protocols. Wonder how busy it is.

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Trevor Lawrence can't play in the game, but he's allowed to travel to South Bend and prowl the sidelines? That doesn't compute.

I think Lawrence passed the protocols late in the week, but Dabo didn't want to start him with a day or two of practice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Can you imagine if a student tests positive though?!  Not surprising but that could bring down the entire team.  Which I wouldn't bet on it.  It's Notre Dame, not Bowling Green or something

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

What is going on with Penn St?  It’s weird that the biggest B1G game this year might be tOSU vs IN.

16 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I think Lawrence passed the protocols late in the week, but Dabo didn't want to start him with a day or two of practice.

he didn’t have time to pass the cardiac protocols to participate in the game.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

he didn’t have time to pass the cardiac protocols to participate in the game.

Thanks! I hadn't paid much attention, other than knowing he couldn't play. I didn't realize he tested negative and was actually closer to playing than I thought. 

Share this post


Link to post

Clemson vs Notre Dame was a great game right down to the end. 

Hopefully the field storming doesn't make the players sick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Clemson vs Notre Dame was a great game right down to the end. 

Hopefully the field storming doesn't make the players sick.

Or the fans.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Carey said:

Man there are going to be a lot of pissed off people tomorrow when they find out their SNL DVR was ruined by Notre Dame & Clemson!

Games running long is nothing new.  If viewers didn't have enough sense to pad the DVR that is on them.   Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that it is always better to pad the DVR for extra time when there are late afternoon and early evening televised sporting events.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

We had to travel from NBC to USA Network to pick up the ND game (and back again after), so SNLers should have been aware of channel craziness.

Speaking of craziness, I don't know the Clemson coach and I may be biased, but he seems like a giant bag.  One who has a bad relationship with Covid masks.  Will he be fined as NFL coaches are?  I think the NFL and CDC need to develop a mask not unlike the Hannibal Lecter one that locks onto the face and can only be unlocked by the Covid Czar who should be at every game.  Bad example for college kids who obviously (as we can see by the ND fans not only being there, but rushing on the field).  Everyone knows that college kids have no damn self control!/sarcasm

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Games running long is nothing new.  If viewers didn't have enough sense to pad the DVR that is on them.   Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that it is always better to pad the DVR for extra time when there are late afternoon and early evening televised sporting events.

Oh I agree.  My comment was based on fact.  I made mention in my Twitter feed that, after all these years, if you haven't learned to DVR SNL or the Amazing Race, or whatever that follows a live sporting event, I have no sympathy.  It's been the norm since the beginning of time, or since 1968.  Unless you're on the West Coast, the announcers mention the time change.  "Local programming will start after you're local news [Saturday] or after 60 Minutes [Sunday] over most of these [Network] stations.

I think we agree, icemiser.  I felt for them, but if they wanted to stay up for whatever.  However, if they didn't, record it and all extra time.  Moreover, their episode is available online.  When I watched SNL super-regularly in the past I always taped to cover.  If I couldn't catch it or if I screwed up, the Plan B was always there.  That, and I caught it Sunday (or Monday during the football season / late college hoops season)

 

I think I was pissed off at Notre Dame / Clemson due to being incorrect with my prediction and less with the winner.  I'd be pissed if I went with Notre Dame but Clemson beat them.  While I respect both, I'm not a fan either.  Dabo knows that no one's messing with him.  They'll fine him once and that's it.  In the NFL, they'll still fine him once, but then successfully scare him into doing the right thing for the most part

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Carey said:

I think I was pissed off at Notre Dame / Clemson due to being incorrect with my prediction and less with the winner.  I'd be pissed if I went with Notre Dame but Clemson beat them.  While I respect both, I'm not a fan either.  Dabo knows that no one's messing with him.  They'll fine him once and that's it.  In the NFL, they'll still fine him once, but then successfully scare him into doing the right thing for the most part

The NFL just took a draft pick from the Raiders on top of another fine for repeated face covering violations. The only thing similar to that is if the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships from the programs, but I doubt they'll do it.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

The NFL just took a draft pick from the Raiders on top of another fine for repeated face covering violations. The only thing similar to that is if the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships from the programs, but I doubt they'll do it.

That's the thing.  Dabo is now in that "elite" territory where the NCAA would rather not touch him.  Everyone else (save for Saban, Day, Orgeron, even Miles and Gundy) might get docked.  As of November 8th, I probably won't bet on it.  We're actually getting close to the end of the season, and if all goes pretty well, it will be the last time we have to deal with this situation ever again.

The Raiders probably did more in a day than Dabo did in a week to violate protocol.  Dabo's about winning and business; Gruden and Mark Davis couldn't care less.  Swinney doesn't have a championship to date in the NFL, and while Gruden does, I hardly think he is on the level of a Bill Belichick or Andy Reid or Pete Carroll.  At least those successful guys will adjust and deal with it, but they might avoid discipline otherwise.  Just my opinion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The NCAA offered guidelines, but it was the Conferences that wrote their own protocols. The NCAA plays no role in their enforcement.

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I  guess this week it may be quicker to say which teams are playing than which games are canceled. Not a good week.

It was going to happen. Of all the sports, Football has the most moving parts.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I  guess this week it may be quicker to say which teams are playing than which games are canceled. Not a good week.

Four of the top five teams aren't playing.  This is getting worse than the Baseball breakouts, but we are talking about young adults who feel invincible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Four of the top five teams aren't playing.  This is getting worse than the Baseball breakouts, but we are talking about young adults who feel invincible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fifth team is going to have some issues soon after the storming of the field last weekend.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the fifth team is going to have some issues soon after the storming of the field last weekend.

Notre Dame just announced that they have no positives, or no new positives.  Those were the players; no idea about the students, but I'll be honest: I couldn't care less.  I'm not "rooting" for "tragedy" but it's a simple case of you know the risks & it is what it is

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Man, Michigan is a mess.  Meanwhile, Notre Dame is rolling.  The all but expected rematch might not be a revenge game, probably a coin-toss

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

After Wisconsin went up 21-0, ABC showed a cutout of a Michigan fan in a "surrender cobra". 😄

One of those teams looked like they were playing their first games in weeks, a period during which they could not have regular practice sessions.

The other was Wisconsin.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

After Wisconsin went up 21-0, ABC showed a cutout of a Michigan fan in a "surrender cobra". 😄

 

I recognized him immediately from Michigan's infamous loss to Michigan state in 2015 (surrender cobra guy is the thumbnail and appears at about 16 seconds in).

 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe someone can answer this question: What is at risk if TPTB at LSU and/or wherever else would throw the damn kitchen sink at the suspects, any (and all) suspects for these acts?  I don't know what I'm missing.  Assuming these are valid, how dumb can human beings be.  Forget it's years after what happened at Penn State; what the hell was going on over the past five years at Louisiana State University?!

 

I'm sorry, but the fact that this was going on before Ed became the head coach is far from a reason why he should survive.  What. A Mess

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Carey said:

Maybe someone can answer this question: What is at risk if TPTB at LSU and/or wherever else would throw the damn kitchen sink at the suspects, any (and all) suspects for these acts?  I don't know what I'm missing.  Assuming these are valid, how dumb can human beings be.  Forget it's years after what happened at Penn State; what the hell was going on over the past five years at Louisiana State University?!

 

I'm sorry, but the fact that this was going on before Ed became the head coach is far from a reason why he should survive.  What. A Mess

The risk was that one of their best players would've had to be dropped from the football team.  And we cannot have that, LSU is a top football program and it makes enough money to support all of the other athletic teams at the school.  They think that if they ignore it, if they try to silence the victims; that it might never become public, and, for way too many years, that was completely true.

I say this as a two time graduate of THE Ohio State University where the football tail has always wagged the dog.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Indiana had chances vs ohio state but too many mistakes.  

As for Justin fields and his 0 Ints and 11 total incompletions on the year before today, after his first two passes he was completely overmatched and dominated by the IU D.  The run game carried ohio state the whole game. 

Three Ints today and more incompletions than he had all year combined.  5 sacks. Penix outplayed him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Indiana had chances vs ohio state but too many mistakes.  

As for Justin fields and his 0 Ints and 11 total incompletions on the year before today, after his first two passes he was completely overmatched and dominated by the IU D.  The run game carried ohio state the whole game. 

Three Ints today and more incompletions than he had all year combined.  5 sacks. Penix outplayed him. 

One of those IT’s was due to Olave tipping the ball, so in my mind it doesn’t count.

However I think JF just lost any chance for the Heisemann.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

However I think JF just lost any chance for the Heisemann.

He didn't look good, but who did he lose it to?

 

I might have to check the contenders a week from now.  Trask could get there but I don't know if Florida will defeat Alabama.  Today should have been the perfect spot for Lawrence to get back into the hunt, but unlucky might be the lightest word to describe his situation

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The first rankings for the College Football Playoff have been revealed.  Not much surprise within the Top 4, which features Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Ohio State.  Barring something, I don't expect the season to end with these rankings.  I personally don't need to see Notre Dame/Clemson Part III.  There was an ounce of surprise to see the Tigers at No. 3 but it's not a stunner.  Ohio State nearly lost at home to Indiana.  Yes they are decent this year, but Indiana should've won given the fact that OSU looked bad.  Clemson didn't play, and prior to that, they didn't have their quarterback.  I think the committee got it right.  Florida & Texas A&M are just outside of those rankings.  Northwestern isn't too far behind, and thanks to that (among other things), Cincinnati has no chance at making the CFP

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, Carey said:

The first rankings for the College Football Playoff have been revealed.  Not much surprise within the Top 4, which features Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Ohio State.  Barring something, I don't expect the season to end with these rankings.  I personally don't need to see Notre Dame/Clemson Part III.  There was an ounce of surprise to see the Tigers at No. 3 but it's not a stunner.  Ohio State nearly lost at home to Indiana.  Yes they are decent this year, but Indiana should've won given the fact that OSU looked bad.  Clemson didn't play, and prior to that, they didn't have their quarterback.  I think the committee got it right.  Florida & Texas A&M are just outside of those rankings.  Northwestern isn't too far behind, and thanks to that (among other things), Cincinnati has no chance at making the CFP

I completely disagree.

Clemson LOST.  tOSU didn’t “nearly lose”.  They had some younger players in in the 4th.  Yes, Justin Fields had his worst game, that’s true.  And Michael Pennix was amazing, which showed some weakness our secondary.  But IU has NO rushing whatsoever.

If ND beats Clemson in the ACC, then BYU or Cinci deserves to have the fourth spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I completely disagree.

Clemson LOST.  tOSU didn’t “nearly lose”.  They had some younger players in in the 4th.  Yes, Justin Fields had his worst game, that’s true.  And Michael Pennix was amazing, which showed some weakness our secondary.  But IU has NO rushing whatsoever.

If ND beats Clemson in the ACC, then BYU or Cinci deserves to have the fourth spot.

Fair enough.  Speaking of fair, I will give Cincy a chance: 1%.  Same goes for BYU.  I don't think the committee will add the Bearcats because they deserve to be there.  For one, they, along with BYU, have to win out.  Then they have to get help.  That help comes from the teams that they defeated along the way.

If ND beats Clemson, if I had to guess, the committee is not putting Cincinnati in before a one-loss Ohio State that feel short against an undefeated Northwestern team from the Big 10.  That panel could argue on Clemson's behalf that they lost without Lawrence and that they'd be a one-loss team losing to a perfect Notre Dame.  I wouldn't be a fan of that, BTW.  The Bearcats, to be fair, were once a power school when they had 6 big conferences including the Big East, so that would be total garbage to have a 2-loss Clemson team over a possible undefeated Cincinnati team.  Moreover, I would love to see Notre Dame vs Cincy

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Carey said:

an undefeated Northwestern team

As a Northwestern alum, I'm finding this combination of words nearly impossible to process.  I keep looking at them and thinking I'm having a stroke.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Oh dear. Oregon/Oregon State has won the ugliest unis of the season. They're BOTH absolutely hiddy.

 

  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size