Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

I really like that ad too, even if I do not like the Niners.

I turned The Cotton Bowl to hockey when Baylor was up by 20 but then I saw on Twitter it had gotten close so I turned back right before that poor kid missed his second field goal. I'm glad I saw the end of the game, what an exciting finish. Also exciting since I was able to see the Caps win the hockey game with 12 seconds left.

Ok playoff games...don't be blowouts.

That comeback by MSU was insane. Loved it. Also loved, of course, Melvin Gordon going crazy on the Auburn defense. Go B1G!

This is a pretty good Rose Bowl so far. Although Oregon's unis are among the more hideous ones that Nike has trotted out.

I'm actually enjoying this new New Year's Day format. The specialness of the Rose Bowl died a long time ago. It's past time to let it go.

I started the game rooting for Florida State (which I didn't even know I was going to do, I have no horse in this race) but now I just want them to stop being embarrassed on the field. However, I did find it amusing when Chris Fowler was like "no disrespect to the ACC, but Oregon is not NC State or Wake Forest." No kidding.

I don't want to be all East Coast Biased about it, but why couldn't the Rose Bowl have started earlier? They've pushed the Sugar back to nine so it's not even going to end until well after midnight. That sucks. Andwhy on earth is the Rose going over four hours when Oregon runs 17 plays in 46 seconds?

I started the game rooting for Florida State (which I didn't even know I was going to do, I have no horse in this race) but now I just want them to stop being embarrassed on the field. However, I did find it amusing when Chris Fowler was like "no disrespect to the ACC, but Oregon is not NC State or Wake Forest." No kidding.

I don't want to be all East Coast Biased about it, but why couldn't the Rose Bowl have started earlier? They've pushed the Sugar back to nine so it's not even going to end until well after midnight. That sucks. Andwhy on earth is the Rose going over four hours when Oregon runs 17 plays in 46 seconds?

I'm surprised they only had three and a half hours between the two games.  It should have been longer.

Speaking of long, Oregon was scoring so fast that the pace of the Rose Bowl was like a baseball game.

That being said, what an impressive beatdown of Florida State.  Oregon was impressive on both offense and defense.

Hasn't the Rose Bowl always started at about the same time? I remember it starting at about 5 Eastern the last few years anyway. I think maybe the parade has something to do with it.

Nobody deserved to lose a game like that more than Florida State. Cheers, Jameis!

• Love 4
(edited)

It was hard to cheer for anyone in the Sugar Bowl, but I went with Ohio State for Big Ten pride. Go B1G!

ETA -- after a mediocre start to bowl season, it really kicked up with the big bowls. What a great day of college football.

Edited by Minneapple

It was hard to cheer for anyone in the Sugar Bowl, but I went with Ohio State for Big Ten pride. Go B1G!

Yeah, they have to put the word 'The' in front of their school, and Urban might be the second most insufferable coach in the country, but I found it pretty easy to root for OSU. Besides conference pride, the team's on its third QB.

And to quote the Dukies on the SEC: "Over-rated!" "Over-rated!"

I can't believe Ohio State knocked off Alabama.  Great game!

I don't like Ohio State and I think they only won the Penn State game because the referees spotted them ten points.  But they deserved that victory.  Can't wait to see Oregon vs Ohio State.

The Big Ten rises from the dead.

So much for the vaunted SEC West.  They went 1-5 in their bowl games.

I will take Saban losing any day of the week, even if I hate OSU too. I don't think I could have stomached another championship from them. I can't believe the Buckeye third string QB is doing so well- good for him. Though I hope the Oregon defense rattles him- go PAC 12! Sick of the East Coast bias and championships.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

The Rose Bowl has always started at that time...I think it's so that the earlier games can be totally done. Maybe they should move the early games earlier?

Next year, I believe, the playoffs will be on New Year's Eve, which is odd because a lot of people don't have that day off. Hopefully those games will be over before midnight, but I'm sure ratings are going to suffer.

Why is Missouri in the East?

Because they're East of A&M and the SEC decided to just stick a team in each division when they expanded?

Normally, I don't mind late starts. But I knew at kickoff that there was no way I was going to stay up late on the day after New Year's Eve. It sucks becoming an old fogey.

Setting aside the (major) concerns about his off field activities, Winston's lack of ball security would scar the crap out of me if I were a GM. You can only blame the receivers for so much. And that fumble was all on him. I'm also glad we can retire "the second half is when Winston really begins to shine." Truly great players don't blow off the first half of games like he tends to do.

The "tradition" of any of these bowl games was lost LONG ago once they started selling the names to the highest bidder and started to ruin any conference alignments and regionality to the whole system by simply adding team after team in the name of money. 

FSU fans seem pretty insufferable, win or lose.  All over the internet about the SEC being overrated and how "proud" they are of their team.  Makes me want to vomit.  Your team just lost by 39 in a national semifinal, shut up about other teams being overrated. 

This was a down year for the SEC but if Florida State had been in the FSU, they wouldn't have finished the season undefeated either.

Funny thing is under the BCS, both Oregon and Ohio State would have been left out of the title game.

This was a down year for the SEC but if Florida State had been in the FSU, they wouldn't have finished the season undefeated either.

Funny thing is under the BCS, both Oregon and Ohio State would have been left out of the title game.

Why would Oregon have been left out? They were the number two seed. Wouldn't they have played Alabama (number 1) in the old BCS?

Uh...I have some news for you about Ohio State...

I meant Alabama more than OSU- I should have said SEC bias. At least a non SEC team will win the championship again- hope this continues for a few more years.

Mischievous in the BCS system, FSU would most likely have been #1 or 2 throughout the year because they were undefeated. Oregon would have been left out. Edited by mojoween

FSU definitely would have made it and Alabama most likely would have been given the nod over Oregon.

You know, if JB Barrett had played for OSU, they might have run Alabama off the field.

Oregon is a Pac-12 rival, so it felt odd to root for them so heartily, but against Florida State and Winston, that's exactly what I did.  Man, that was great.  I believe I actually cackled after one turnover.

I don’t much care for Ohio State, but take SEC + Nick Saban + Lane Kiffin and I’ll be a Buckeye for a day.  Plus, seeing a team down to their third-string QB win a game that played out for a while like it was going to be a decisive and embarrassing defeat was genuinely enjoyable.

• Love 1

So it's Oregon vs. Ohio State for national championship.  The SEC West is now 2-5 in bowl games this year, while the SEC East is 3-0 so far.  Go figure.

And one more thing from yesterday:  Jameis Winston may be a lot of things, but at least he had enough class to shake the hands of the players who just pounded his team...unlike most of his teammates who just headed back to the locker room.  Kirk Herbstreit was harping on this at the end of the game, and for once I actually agreed with him.

• Love 2

Why would Oregon have been left out? They were the number two seed. Wouldn't they have played Alabama (number 1) in the old BCS?

FSU would've been No. 1 because it was undefeated. And the BCS always propelled undefeated teams from the big conferences to the very top.

Alabama would've been No. 2 because it was the best 1-loss team, and "best" = from the SEC.

Edited by nowandlater

So, are only the "New Year's Six" games allowed to be entertaining? Unless K-State has a Michigan State-like comeback in it's arsenal.

Jim Harbaugh is back on Twitter, as college coaches HAVE to be on Twitter (unlike NFL coaches).

Seriously? I had no idea.

I would say I was surprised that Pitt choked it away against Houston...but I can't, because Pitt has a history of choking.  Still, there's no excuse for blowing a 31-6 lead.

Speaking of choking, UCLA almost did just that against Kansas State.

I would say I was surprised that Pitt choked it away against Houston...but I can't, because Pitt has a history of choking.  Still, there's no excuse for blowing a 31-6 lead.

Speaking of choking, UCLA almost did just that against Kansas State.

Technically, we Pitt fans call it "Pitting" 

Too many bowl games in domes.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

That UW Huskies game was a horror.  Clearly, Oklahoma just wanted it more.  Hard day to be a Husky fan.  I'm just grateful we were able to make a second half of it, and end the game with a respectable score.

The Rose Bowl has always started at that time...I think it's so that the earlier games can be totally done. Maybe they should move the early games earlier?

Next year, I believe, the playoffs will be on New Year's Eve, which is odd because a lot of people don't have that day off. Hopefully those games will be over before midnight, but I'm sure ratings are going to suffer.

Rose Bowl is a few hours after the Rose Parade. Both bands from the Bowl teams participate in the parade as do the cheerleaders.

College coaches don't have to be on twitter. I'm guessing nowandlater was joking.

The Finebaum show today was hilarious. The SECSEC folks have lost their damn minds.

I meant to listen, I wondered if Phyllis called in.

Re: Twitter.

College coaches don't have to use Twitter, but there's a reason why Harbaugh was on Twitter at Stanford and is on Twitter again now at Michigan.

It's an advantage for coaches (who are not named Nick Saban) to have a social media presence. Whether it's to communicate with fans, appealing to recruits or, as was the case last year, apologizing immediately for a terrible comment.

Whenever he gets a new recruit, my school's head coach tweets his city thus bypassing NCAA rules.

NFL coaches, on the other hand, don't have to appeal to fans or recruits. They could be total curmudgeons outside their media/press conference requirements.

The ESPN Classic feed is going to show all of both bands during halftime. Which is so cool.

ESPN has eleventy billion dollars and they are using them well tonight.

I feel like I have eleventy billion channels on my TV...but Classic isn't one of them.  Dammit.  Way too much talking on the other 4 channels showing this game.

The hell, Oregon?  I root for a Pac-12 rival in order to support the conference, and you go out and lay an egg.

I want to applaud a team winning the championship with a third-string quarterback, but a) it just shows how bloated football rosters are, b) Urban Meyer, c) Urban Meyer ...

At least it wasn't Saban, or any SEC team.  But, damn.  I really wanted a better game.

• Love 1

I guess that's what Oregon gets for not wearing green. I feel sorry for their defense- they had four turnovers but gave up over 240 yards of rushing. Seeing Meyer celebrate brought back all my Gator hate. Blah, Big 10. Now it's going to be all about who's the man next year- him or Harbraugh. Can't wait to mute that shit.

Edited by twoods

Woo hoo B1G! Interesting times are coming to the conference indeed. Ohio State is on top, Michigan will be hot on their heels with Harbaugh. It was amusing to hear Herbstreit talk about how the OSU players had been hearing about how much the B1G sucks. Well, where was all that talk coming from, Herbie?

Really I hate Ohio State and I pretty much loathe Urban, but gotta go with the Big Ten solidarity over the University of Nike.