Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

I watched most of the first half with a cold, before I fell asleep because I was so sick. Went back to the game at midnight...and fast-forwarded through it because it was so one-sided.

Now, I'm watching one of the Megacasts that I DVR'd -- the one with Michael Wilbon -- and so far, it's more entertaining the game itself.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/1/12/7535767/espnus-espn-voices-is-primarily-espn-personalities-eating-food

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

I really wish the game had ended with Ohio State taking a knee at the 1.  They dominated the entire game and left no doubt who earned the championship trophy; that last touchdown rubbed me the wrong way (unless Oregon State is a jerk team and I missed it).

As much as I'd love my Oregon State Beavers to be in the National Championship game, it was the Oregon Ducks who were dominated last night.  

Even though the University of Oregon is an in-state rival to my alma mater, I didn't think they deserved to be humiliated by that last touchdown, either, Crs97.  I may change my mind at Civil War time next fall.

Edited by Phebemarie

Minneapple -- I agree. I love it when the media talk about silencing this talk or that talk and how teams were constantly hearing things such as how weak their conference is. Do they never realize that most of the talk begins with them? Truly, they are the ones who start it and get it to pick up steam.

Congrats Ohio State. They have so many returning players for next year. Kind of scary. It will be a little fun to watch the quarterback battle play out from afar.

I watched the game on ESPN but recorded it on ESPN2 for the film room. Anxious to go back and watch our new coach and his insight. There were some great gifs of him floating around on Twitter last night.

Hey Phebemarie -- thanks for the coach. :) We'll take good care of Coach Riley in Lincoln.

• Love 1

Meh. If a team doesn't want to be humiliated by a touchdown, then they should stop the other team. Running up the score complaints just strike me as a lot of whining.

If Woody Hayes had been the coach last night, the Buckeyes would have gone for two after the touchdown.

• Love 1

If Woody Hayes had been the coach last night, the Buckeyes would have gone for two after the touchdown.

If Woody Hayes had been coaching last night, he would have been kicked out of the game after slugging the first Oregon player to recover an Ohio State turnover.

• Love 1

Congrats to Ohio State on winning the national championship.  Despite the 4 turnovers they were clearly the better team.  And this pretty much guarantees that Ohio State will be #1 to start the 2015 season.  It would have been much worse for Oregon if not for those turnovers.

Fun fact:  Ohio State faced all three Heisman finalists this year, and won.

I wish it had been a better game too.  It's scary how good Ohio State got and Meyer really proved how great a coach he is.  I don't like him or OSU but they deserved this win.

He is a great coach and one guy said it best.  After yesterday's game, an NFL teams first call for their head coaching job shouldn't be to John Fox.  It should be to Urban Meyer.  Not that Meyer would leave.  I would never rule anything out but he's much more for the college game.  But any NFL team should at least privately inquire about him.

Edited by benteen

None of the Oregon players or the coach whined about that last touchdown.

That's what you get for playing at this level.  Stop them or shut up.

If I was on the other side (and I have been many times), I wouldn't whine.  This is sports, not a poker game or a quilting bee.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

Edited to clarify which team.

Edited by roamyn

I don't think I've heard anyone whine.  I just don't know why sports can't benefit from gracious professionalism.  Also, if Oregon had managed to stop that run and Elliott had blown out a knee in the process, everyone's reaction would be very different.  I don't know why you risk players for an unnecessary score that proves nothing beyond what you have already proved all game (unless it's Alabama - in which case you go for two - or LSU - in which case you go for two and try an onside kick).

And lest people confuse this with whining, I live outside Cleveland and rooted for Ohio State.

• Love 1

I agree about that last touchdown, but more for the concern of an injury. Meyer would have gotten creamed if Elliott got injured. Why was he still in there- to pad his stats? The Oregon coach didn't seem too upset about it, but I'm sure if Oregon was running up the score Meyer would have not liked that.

• Love 1

I meant running up the score complaints in general strike me as whining. I haven't heard anything from the Oregon players or coaches in this instance.

Zeke Elliott could blow out a knee...but so could his backup. So could anybody, at any point in time on the field. Oregon has a quick-strike offense. What happens if they get the ball, score on one play like they did earlier in the game, and recover an onside kick?

Meyer has run up the score more than once in his career. If someone runs up the score on him, I'm sure he'd enjoy that taste of his own medicine. Stoops is known for it too. And Bielema.

I agree about that last touchdown, but more for the concern of an injury. Meyer would have gotten creamed if Elliott got injured. Why was he still in there- to pad his stats? The Oregon coach didn't seem too upset about it, but I'm sure if Oregon was running up the score Meyer would have not liked that.

Yeah, that was mostly my problem with it too.  There was no reason to do it in any case but I found it puzzling because it opened up his players for a potential injury.  With 10 seconds left in a game you aren't going to lose, do you really need to be kicking off the ball?  The Oregon returner stepped out of bounds so it wasn't an issue.  But prolonging a game for no reason and opening up a chance for injury is foolish.

I believe there was more like 2 minutes at the time the last touchdown was made.

besides, tOSU needed to make a statement w/an explanation point to everyone who didn't believe they should not have been in the playoffs.

So Cardale is going to keep playing school, which...seems very weird to me. He's like 22 or 23, he's got a kid, he'll probably languish on the bench behind JT Barrett next year, so his draft stock will likely never be higher than it is now. And as it is his draft stock ain't that great. He's probably like a fourth- or fifth-rounder.

Oh, well. I just hope it works out for him. He's had an incredible run.

I think Braxton is a likely transfer. IIRC he's graduated but has eligibility left, so he won't have to sit for a year even if he goes to another FBS school.

Honestly, I really doubt Braxton has a future in football. His shoulder was injured 2x last year.

As long as Cardale gets his degree and doesn't "play school", it was the right choice. Yes he's got a kid, but there are no guarantees in sports, and he may need that degree in the future.look what happened with Maurice Clarett.

• Love 2

And so it begins...ESPN and the NFL are nudging the College Football Playoff into changing the schedule:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/26/Events-and-Attractions/CFP.aspx

Next season’s semifinals at the Capital One Orange Bowl and the Goodyear Cotton Bowl are scheduled for Dec. 31 but ESPN is pushing the CFP to move those games to Jan. 2, 2016, a Saturday with relatively little competition on TV.

---

Meanwhile, the CFP is facing pressure on another front. The NFL is considering expanding its playoffs and moving one of the new games to Monday night when it would compete directly with the CFP championship.

And they told ESPN to fuck off too. Good for them. Not that, you know, the CFP isn't greedy or money grubbing.

The playoff actually showed just how much clout ESPN has with college football, just because they own so much of the content. It will be very interesting to see how things shake out when the Big Ten's contract comes up for negotiation in the next couple years. Fox Sports is expected to make a big bid for that and ESPN is probably going to counter in a big way, just so FS1 doesn't get a hold of the content.

Rece Davis is replacing Chris Fowler as host of College Gameday for football.

http://footballscoop.com/news/rece-davis-will-reportedly-replace-chris-fowler-espns-college-gameday-host/

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I enjoy both of them but am just so used to seeing Chris on Saturday mornings and Rece on Saturday nights. I think there is great potential though based on Rece's personality on the night show. Time will tell I suppose. Also, maybe now they will completely change the opening song. I don't like the current version...the original was far better.

• Love 1

I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I have a hard time remembering that Rece and Chris are not the same person.

Poor Marcus Mariota. One bad game and now he's worthless.

Edited by mojoween

I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I have a hard time remembering that Rece and Chris are not the same person.

Lol yep. Not sure it will make that much of a difference on the gameday set. The only thing that annoys me is that I can't stand Fowler on play by play. I like him as a host, but he's just so underwhelming calling games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUeKnfs8yFs

This September will be the thirtieth anniversary of Jim Nantz's debut in the studio for CBS on The Prudential College Football Report. Just thought you might like to see him in action in the studio in this halftime segment from the 1986 Oklahoma/Miami broadcast: go to the 18:55 mark, and there will be a CBS ID, and then the Prudential segment starts with Don Robertson's sponsor bumper. 

Edited by bmasters9

That is just an absolutely awesome scam Nike/Adidas/UnderArmor have come up with. Hey! Your school needs new gear, and variations of that new gear every couple of years because the kids, excuse me, "scholar athletes" love new shit! And we will gladly design and sell it to you!

• Love 1

Am I super niave? Universities pay for their uniforms? I thought Michigan at least was getting over $4 million in equipment per year so that Adidas could be the official merchandiser of Michigan athletics to the general public.

I had a roommate on the women's water polo team (a money losing operation, of course) and she got free new Nike shoes for running, weights, etc every year Plus clothing, super fancy jackets and gear. but then they had to wear Nike swimsuits and caps even though they thought they were crap.

Eta: actually found a source on this: http://m.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2013/12/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html?page=all&appSession=861292059681646&cbSearchAgain=true&AppKey=136b100080199cf7b86245558063&r=full

Big schools get free stuff plus cash, smaller schools have to buy. I learned something today :)

Edited by AndreaK1041
(edited)

The schools absolutely clean up on those shoe deals. Usually coaches have their own shoe deals as well. And when you think about it, it makes sense for the shoe companies to sponsor this kind of thing -- every sporting event essentially becomes an advertisement for their gear. Nike has made an entire *thing* out of what crazy-ass uni they'll be putting on Oregon players for the next football game. Plus how many replica Ohio State jerseys were sold after the national title game? I'd be willing to bet a lot.

I had a roommate on the women's water polo team (a money losing operation, of course) and she got free new Nike shoes for running, weights, etc every year Plus clothing, super fancy jackets and gear. but then they had to wear Nike swimsuits and caps even though they thought they were crap.

Similar situation -- when I was at Wisconsin I knew a guy on the swim team. He got a TON of free gear -- really nice jackets, track pants, sweats. Top of the line stuff, and new stuff every time they came out with new designs.

I have heard that for Under Armour schools, athletes love the gear but hate the shoes -- they refuse to wear them because Under Armour shoes are crap.

Edited by Minneapple

The power conference schools do well on their deals, but everyone else. . . and it trickles down to high schools as well. (That Tommy Copper ad with the high school coach saying "If you look good, you play good." really annoys me.) A couple years ago there was a clip of a coach telling his I AA (?) team that they were going to be wearing a new alternate black jersey and the kids went insane when they saw them.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to the 30 for 30 about Sonny Vaccaro, the man who invented all of this.

AAU doesn't really have anything to do with football. But yes, the shoe companies heavily invest in AAU sports like basketball. In fact there's a trend nowadays of basketball players choosing colleges based on their AAU team's shoe affiliation. See Jaylen Brown, one of the nation's top recruits in the 2015 class, who said he's probably going to an Adidas school because that's his AAU team's sponsor. It's shady and skirts the line of the law and there's no real way to regulate AAU ball.

But yeah -- if you want to look for a real villain in amateur sports, the shoe companies are a pretty good start.

Speaking of OSU alums. . 

I rolled my eyes when I saw the story about Maurice Claret talking to FSU football players. But I heard him this morning on Mike & Mike and he sounds like he really has his stuff together. 

Good for him.

Speaking of OSU alums. . 

I rolled my eyes when I saw the story about Maurice Claret talking to FSU football players. But I heard him this morning on Mike & Mike and he sounds like he really has his stuff together. 

Good for him.

I loved his "30 for 30", wish him nothing but the best.

The stories out of Baylor regarding Sam Ukwauchu's sexual assault conviction and the school's handling of the initial accusation against him - made by a fellow student athlete - are horrifying. A good (though it feels weird using that word) narrative of what's happened from Texas Magazine: Silence at Baylor

Boise State actually looks okay, all things considered - they got rid of him when he got into trouble there and showed signs of needing serious help (assaulting his girlfriend, referencing suicide) and it sounds like they refused to sign a waiver that would have indicated they gave their blessing for him to play at Baylor immediately. 

My potentially naive hope is that stories like this coming to light, Jon Krakauer's new book Missoula (which focuses heavily on the University of Montana's football team and how players act and are treated with respect to sexual assault of women), might make a difference someday soon. Something's got to change.

Sooo, I guess Sark got liquored up. 

LOL. The old big money donors are usually an uptight bunch, no matter what school you're at. Sark apparently thought he was talking to the student section.

As for Baylor, well, that's the same athletic program that tried to cover up the murder of a basketball player by another player, yes? WHY ARE WE SURPRISED.