Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Notre Dame was invited to the Big Ten in 1999, I think. Their faculty senate said yes (because of the academic benefits) but the board of directors said no (probably because they were still resentful of the Big Ten's treatment of them a century before). Since then there have been no real overtures from either side, though I'd be willing to bet Jim Delany talked to ND in 2010 when the B1G added Nebraska.

I do not believe Notre Dame will ever join a conference. They have a very beneficial scheduling arrangement with the ACC, plus they don't have to give up their NBC deal. That would not fly in the B1G.

• Love 1

It's not my school, but it is my state ( and my sister's school), so if we can jump over to FCS for a moment..

#7 UMaine just beat #2 Weber State, 23-18, and are going to the semifinals for the first time ever. Six of those Weber points came on the last play, and Maine held them to net -1 yards rushing.

So I'm psyched :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

Sitting out a bowl game to get ready for the draft is now a real thing. I saw a list of about ten first round grade players who are skipping their bowl game and now West Virginia quarterback Will Grier has announced that he will as well.

I don't have a problem with it.  What's the point of playing a game that means nothing, including all the money coming in from it that players won't ever touch.  The teams are big enough that I'm sure that they'll be alright going forward.  Plus, some of the underclassmen can get a head-start and maybe play in a big game with several watching, in preparation for next year.

IIRC, Nick Bosa left even earlier when OSU was still undefeated. While he got criticized for it, I don't think the man had anything to prove.  Unlike college hoops, you have to be 3 years removed from H.S. before becoming eligible for the NFL.

Man, I think I cannot wait to see if a player blows up a CFB Playoff game to prepare for the NFL Combine and the NFL Draft, but that's just me!

• Love 1

Congratulations to Kyler on the Heisman.  I’m glad he won over Tua, tho I think Dwaynevdeserved it for keeping the Buckeyes together all season, plus breaking all Drew Brees’s records.  But Kyler seems like a nice, humble kid, and the point in his speech where he & Riley  teared up, got to me.

Just now, roamyn said:

Edited by roamyn
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Am I understanding correctly that the Heisman winner may not come back to college football to play baseball? Is that a first?

He signed a $4.6M contract in early 2018 w/the A’s.  Per that contract, according to reports - he was granted one last season to play college football.  Kyler has stated on many occasions that his desire is to focus full time on Baseball.  I think he wanted one year/chance to prove he could lead the Sooners.

• Love 1

Someone on The LeBatard Show made a good point the other day that there is no guarantee in baseball you will get out of the minor leagues.  But Kyler is good enough to be a first round QB which in the long run could get him more money, but with the health risk.

I will be interested to watch his baseball career play out.

7 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Am I understanding correctly that the Heisman winner may not come back to college football to play baseball? Is that a first?

FSU quarterback Charlie Ward won the Heisman, but never played in the NFL. He played in the NBA, forthe Knicks, I think.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

FSU quarterback Charlie Ward won the Heisman, but never played in the NFL. He played in the NBA, forthe Knicks, I think.

Yes, he played for the Knicks. Back in the late nineties, when the Jets were running out guys like Neil O'Donnell and an old Vinnie Testaverde and the Giants were starting guys like Dave Brown and Danny Kanell, there was a joke going around,  "Whose the best QB in New York City? He's playing point guard for the Knicks."

Edited by xaxat
22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Yes, he played for the Knicks. Back in the late nineties, when the Jets were running out guys like Neil O'Donnell and an old Vinnie Testaverde and the Giants were starting guys like Dave Brown and Danny Kanell, there was a joke going around,  "Whose the best QB in New York City? He's playing point guard for the Knicks."

I take it you've never been tempted to say in the past few years that "...he's playing in the Mets farm system."?

• Love 1
On 12/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, xaxat said:

Sitting out a bowl game to get ready for the draft is now a real thing. I saw a list of about ten first round grade players who are skipping their bowl game and now West Virginia quarterback Will Grier has announced that he will as well.

I would expect that to become more common for players projected for the first round if their college team isn't in a playoff game or top tier bowl game with history for their conference (i.e. Big 10 and the Rose Bowl). 

Both Leonard Fournette and Christian McCafferty announced they wouldn't play in their bowl games after the 2016 season and Jabrill Peppers didn't play in Michigan's bowl game that year after getting injured in practice.  That was the game that Jake Butt got injured, tearing his ACL, which dropped him from a then projected low 1st/high 2nd round pick to a 5th round pick.  That's probably a very powerful cautionary tale for players, considering how much money they could lose by playing in one game. 

Even outside of the chance of injury, the possibility of having a single game performance that will impress scouts more than the tape they have accumulated over your career is really small. 

On the other hand, if you skip the Bowl  and start working on your combine stats, they can really move you up. Shave a couple of tenths off your 40, get a couple more reps on your bench. . . that will probably move you more than a Bowl.

I have to wonder, with the CFP in place, what the overall level of interest is in the non-CFP-linked bowl games.  Granted, I'm in New England where college football isn't nearly as big a part of the culture as it is elsewhere in the country, but I don't see as many jokes in e.g. Tank McNamara about guys taking the whole month of December to watch all the bowl games the way there used to be.

Also, "bowl" is one of those words that looks weirder the more you see it.

8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I have to wonder, with the CFP in place, what the overall level of interest is in the non-CFP-linked bowl games.  Granted, I'm in New England where college football isn't nearly as big a part of the culture as it is elsewhere in the country, but I don't see as many jokes in e.g. Tank McNamara about guys taking the whole month of December to watch all the bowl games the way there used to be.

For certain bowl games and matchups, the interest is quite high. But for example, the Peach Bowl. Michigan and Florida are normally two historic programs, huge fanbases, popular teams even with those who didn't go to those schools. But -- the Peach Bowl did a terrible job choosing them because this is the third time in four years that Michigan and Florida will be playing in a bowl game. So that pretty much made any interest in the game plummet for Michigan and Florida fans. Same deal with Wisconsin-Miami. We JUST PLAYED Miami in last year's bowl game, in a much-more weather-friendly location. So bowls can choose some pretty stupid matchups sometimes; I know, they're hamstrung by rules and conferences and all kinds of weird things, but still. If you want people to be excited about your bowl and sell some tickets, then don't be stupid about your team selection.

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Minneapple said:

For certain bowl games and matchups, the interest is quite high. But for example, the Peach Bowl. Michigan and Florida are normally two historic programs, huge fanbases, popular teams even with those who didn't go to those schools. But -- the Peach Bowl did a terrible job choosing them because this is the third time in four years that Michigan and Florida will be playing in a bowl game. So that pretty much made any interest in the game plummet for Michigan and Florida fans. Same deal with Wisconsin-Miami. We JUST PLAYED Miami in last year's bowl game, in a much-more weather-friendly location. So bowls can choose some pretty stupid matchups sometimes; I know, they're hamstrung by rules and conferences and all kinds of weird things, but still. If you want people to be excited about your bowl and sell some tickets, then don't be stupid about your team selection.

At kickoff, it is warmer in Madison, Wisconsin than it is in New York at Yankee Stadium for the Pinstripe Bowl.  And they wonder why fans weren't snapping up tickets.   If I was going to spend the money to go to a bowl game, I don't want to pack my long underwear.  

Paul Chryst once again wears the cheesy bowl souvenir sweatshirt and the Badgers win!  Miami does not want to see Wisconsin again any time soon.  In the two bowl games, Rosier had 6 interceptions.  Miami's defense got all the pub before the game, but it was the Badgers’ defense that made a statement.  And that guy wearing number 23 for Wisconsin is pretty darn good.  JT ran for 205, which gave him 2,000+ for the season and over 4,000 for his first two seasons.  He is the only FBS runner to reach the latter mark. 

Very interesting Chryst didn’t have them kneel, but instead called plays to get that TD to go up 35-3 with less than 10 seconds left in the game.  

ESPN.com used side by side pics of Malik Rosier and Alex Hornibrook to advertise this game.  Wisconsin announced days ago that Hornibrook would not play – they couldn’t find someone in their graphics department to change the Wisconsin picture?  Too busy creating onscreen reminders about Notre Dame/Clemson and Oklahoma/Alabama, I guess.  

Edited by Calvada
Game over!

Holy crap, this Alabama/OU game could make the Clemson blowout of Notre Dame look like a close one.  This is painful, and I'd been on such a high from Notre Dame going down in flames (as they tend to do in big bowl games because they don't belong there).  I do think the Sooner offense can get it together, as this scoring drive just indicated, but it's a tremendously tall order for their defense - the season-long weak spot - to keep the Tide in check while they do.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Yay, yet another 'Bama-Clemson title game certainly fires the imagination.

Yep -- to come up with what I'll do that night rather than watch the game.  Maybe trim my cat's claws, re-organize my junk drawer, and clean the refrigerator shelves.  Yeah, that all sounds more appealing. 

(Okay, yes, still -- better than Alabama/Notre Dame, and, unlike the game-night scenario had that been the match-up, I'll have the championship on, but it may very well be as background noise while I accomplish said tasks and randomly root for Clemson.)

OU is a big ball of What Ifs following this game.  Obviously, what if the offense hadn't taken so long to get in the game?  And then what if those two fourth-down FGs had been TD attempts instead?  (Not just for what it would have meant to the score for one or both to be successful, but what it would have meant to the emotional strength of the team to go for it -- weighed against what it would have done to, again not just the scoreboard, but to the team's morale had they gone for it and came away with zero.)  It wound up being a respectable loss after a spectacularly bad beginning that could have been one of the most-embarrassing losses in major bowl history, but that's pretty cold comfort.  Because, dude - Nick Saban.  Fuck that walking, talking turd.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Love me some Saban. I honestly thought he was going to kill #74 during halftime. He was pissed. Needless penalties by Alabama in that game.

The Clemson-Notre Dame game was straight up embarrassing. UGA has every right to be upset that they weren’t in the top 4. EVERYONE predicted that would happen. Everyone.

• Love 4

I think both Georgia and Ohio State have every right to be upset that Notre Dame made the playoffs instead of one of them.  So does UCF, although they're going to be without Milton for their bowl game against LSU. 

I'm fine with expanding the playoff field from 4 to 6, even it it means having 2 SEC teams in it.  Ideally, that would allow for the winners of each of the Power 5 conferences (ACC, PAC 12, BIG 12, BIG 10, and SEC) with the 6th spot for a mid major like UCF, unaffiliated team like ND, or conference runner up. 

• Love 4

Yeah, but even with the high flying 2nd half, there was no way OU was coming back from a 28-0 deficit.  If they had a decent defense to go with their top notch offense, maybe.  But that first half was painful.

I still say with 2 losses (even a great loss to AL), GA didn’t belong in the top 4.  If Milton didn’t get hurt, I would say UCF should’ve been there.

Clemson is so awesome right now, I don’t know if the KC Chiefs could beat them.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, anyanka323 said:

I think both Georgia and Ohio State have every right to be upset that Notre Dame made the playoffs instead of one of them.  So does UCF, although they're going to be without Milton for their bowl game against LSU.

OSU can just keep quiet and deal with it. They got their ass kicked by Purdue. There is no way they beat Clemson.

And Georgia has 2 losses. They had their chance and blew it.

Edited by WritinMan
Added stuff!
  • Love 6

I like Notre Dame, though I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of them. 

However this game proved once again, like in the Championship game they were in, their record cannot be trusted in regard to how competitive or close they are in relation to all top 10 or top 5 teams. 

And if expanding the playoffs means more relatively non-competitive games like the ones we saw last night, its not worth it.  And I say that as someone who generally has always been for a bigger college football playoff with more teams involved. 

Maybe you go to six teams, as suggested, and give two teams a bye in round one and set up a 3-6/4-5 sort of "play in" rather than going to 8 teams. 

If you go to 8 and its 1-8, 2-7, etc you are going to end up with more blowouts. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 3

Normally I’d be all about watching for Alabama to lose, but I can’t really get all that excited about Clemson.  How are you guys approaching this?

It doesn’t appear expanding the playoffs is the answer.  They need to figure out to make a lot more competitive teams.

As an Alabama fan, I am tired of playing Clemson. However, at the same time, I’m looking forward to seeing both quarterbacks play against each other.

However, I’m not sure if anything can beat the UA/UGA this year. That was excellent. The tale of Tua and Jalen is amazing, IMO.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Normally I’d be all about watching for Alabama to lose, but I can’t really get all that excited about Clemson.  How are you guys approaching this?

It doesn’t appear expanding the playoffs is the answer.  They need to figure out to make a lot more competitive teams.

Maybe go back to the old way of recruiting?  (In your state). <shrugs shoulders>

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I just want to see if Clemson can give Alabama a good 60 minutes. I thought LSU might be the best regular season match-up, but they were woefully inept in that game.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I agree. What's the point of expanding the playoff just to watch Alabama blow out an additional team on its' way to the Championship? I guess they could structure it like the NFL playoffs, where you have byes and wild cards, but then you're right back to debating who belongs, who doesn't, strength of schedule, etc.

All I know is I NEVER want to see Notre Dame in another playoff game ever again. I don't care if they go undefeated for the next three years and Jesus Christ himself comes down from Heaven to play quarterback. They've consistently proven they can't hack it on the big stage. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

All I know is I NEVER want to see Notre Dame in another playoff game ever again. I don't care if they go undefeated for the next three years and Jesus Christ himself comes down from Heaven to play quarterback. They've consistently proven they can't it hack it on the big stage.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I watch this every time Notre Dame loses and get the biggest shit-eating grin on my face because I can't stand them.

• Love 11
On 12/30/2018 at 1:15 PM, Calvada said:

Richt was Badgered into "retiring."  No one, least of all anyone in Miami, will believe he wasn't fired.  

I’m not so sure he was badgered as he realized the depth of what needed to be changed on offense was more than he’d be able to manage over the remainder of his contract. But on the other hand, Blake James didn’t waste any time paying off Temple’s $4 million buyout and getting Manny Diaz back within 10 hours. By far the craziest day I’ve ever seen in football at the U, even bypassing the day Lou Saban quit unexpectedly just days before that season opened about 35 years ago. And this would have been the result even if Temple hadn’t come calling.

Edited by theschnauzers
typo

Whew!  I thought Oklahoma State was going let that game slip through their fingers, but they held on.  And, wow, for it to be the Cowboy defense that saved it in the end (and played pretty well all game), when they were problematic this season.  Good game!

According to my Facebook memories Notre Dame beat LSU in the Citrus Bowl last January 1st so how would that be different than the playoff?

I don’t have any allegiance to NDU other than liking the Golic family on the radio and my mom has randomly been an Irish fan for forty years so I’m not really trying to defend them.  Whether or not the football team ever joins a conference is no skin off my nose.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

All I know is I NEVER want to see Notre Dame in another playoff game ever again. I don't care if they go undefeated for the next three years and Jesus Christ himself comes down from Heaven to play quarterback. They've consistently proven they can't hack it on the big stage. 

Well, that's not remotely true.

• Love 1

Not a shocker, but LSU ended Central Florida's undefeaded streak.  I guess UCF "didn't want to be there"

We'll never know what would have happened if the Knights didn't lose their QB.  Likewise, LSU wasn't their dominant self, so it evened out.  Ed Orgeron doesn't seem like a guy that would treat the Fiesta Bowl like a diss to his team.  It's not the playoff but it was still a great game and deserving so I actually liked their chances more than Auburn last year.  Still what a run for UCF and they might have won had it not been for so many errors (although that 30-yard penalty to cut it to a one-possession game was a gift that without would've been dominance from the Tigers)

Notre Dame does not suck, IMO.  Can't defend them after their performance on Saturday, but it's against a team that might actually win outright next Monday and not to Ohio State or the early decade version of Florida State.  I think they can handle the big stage but sometimes there's nothing they can do to prevent a disaster.  It was awful but I think it would have been a bigger embarrassment with most other programs

• Love 2

At least the games today have been more competitive. 

23 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I’m not so sure he was badgered as he realized the depth of what needed to be changed on offense was more than he’d be able to manage over the remainder of his contract. But on the other hand, Blake James didn’t waste any time paying off Temple’s $4 million buyout and getting Manny Diaz back within 10 hours. By far the craziest day I’ve ever seen in football at the U, even bypassing the day Lou Saban quit unexpectedly just days before that season opened about 35 years ago. And this would have been the result even if Temple hadn’t come calling.

My capitalization of "Badgered" was my attempt to say that it was consecutive bowl game losses to Wisconsin that resulted in Richt's departure.  Lame attempt I guess!

I know several people who attended LSU.  It sounds like it was a chippy game.  I must admit my eyes still hurt from rolling them everytime I read their Facebook posts complaining that UCF players are thugs who play dirty.  Oh, the irony.

• Love 2

So the big problem with college football will not be solved by an eight-team playoff. The big problem with college football is competitive imbalance. But everyone is convinced that we need an eight-team playoff. To do what, give Alabama a bye into the second round? Yeah, that'll fix things. 

College football's charm used to lie in the regular season. The rivalries. The conference titles. And the bowl games like Rose, Sugar, Orange each had their own personality and meaning. But now it's all about the frantic race to the CFP. More and more college football resembles the NFL, and soon if there are four 16-team leagues it will be. Regulate the scheduling (no more FCS games in November, SEC!) and bam, you have the NFL Junior.

• Love 4