Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

If Urban had just come clean, said something like, "there was an investigation but no charges were filed so the incident was closed and we moved on," this would not have blown up. Instead he lied and he implied that the reporter fabricated the story. Good job, Urbs. Now it becomes more about the coverup than the crime. And there are all kinds of issues with Title IX, with Shelley Meyer possibly being a mandatory reporter. 

We'll see if Urban survives. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

If Urban had just come clean, said something like, "there was an investigation but no charges were filed so the incident was closed and we moved on," this would not have blown up. Instead he lied and he implied that the reporter fabricated the story. Good job, Urbs. Now it becomes more about the coverup than the crime. And there are all kinds of issues with Title IX, with Shelley Meyer possibly being a mandatory reporter. 

As a The Ohio State fan, it actually makes me sick, if there was a cover-up.  But they have to prove it.

Makes firing your coach because he knew his players accepted free tattoos, kinda lame. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Laws concerning mandated reporting only apply if the victim is under age.  Even if Shelley Meyer is a mandated reporter, Courtney Smith is an adult and, no matter who she told about her husband’s violence, there would be no legal obligation to report it to authorities.

The problem is going to be Meter’s contract which he signed just this past spring that specifically includes domestic violence as an issue that he must report to the administration if it involves any student, faculty or staff.  I doubt they can go after him for not reporting it 3 years ago since it wasn’t in the contract then; but if he lied about it since signing the contract, he could well have a very big problem.

3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

As a The Ohio State fan, it actually makes me sick, if there was a cover-up.  But they have to prove it.

Makes firing your coach because he knew his players accepted free tattoos, kinda lame. 

As an alum and a big fan of Urban’s leadership, I am sick about this.

And, yes, my first thought was, ‘I wonder what Jim Tressel is thinking right now?’

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, doodlebug said:

Laws concerning mandated reporting only apply if the victim is under age.  Even if Shelley Meyer is a mandated reporter, Courtney Smith is an adult and, no matter who she told about her husband’s violence, there would be no legal obligation to report it to authorities.

The problem is going to be Meter’s contract which he signed just this past spring that specifically includes domestic violence as an issue that he must report to the administration if it involves any student, faculty or staff.  I doubt they can go after him for not reporting it 3 years ago since it wasn’t in the contract then; but if he lied about it since signing the contract, he could well have a very big problem.

As an alum and a big fan of Urban’s leadership, I am sick about this.

And, yes, my first thought was, ‘I wonder what Jim Tressel is thinking right now?’

Tressell was caught and fired for pretty much the same thing.  Wasn't what he did, or the kids did, but the fact he certainly knew and did not report it to the AD or anyone at the school. 

So he is probably thinking what goes around comes around, or some such phrasing

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Tressell was caught and fired for pretty much the same thing.  Wasn't what he did, or the kids did, but the fact he certainly knew and did not report it to the AD or anyone at the school. 

Exactly, he is probably also thinking it is one thing to keep the news that a bunch of college kids got free tattoos on the down-low, but it is a whole 'nother kettle of fish to ignore a wife beater because the guy is a good football coach (or Earl Bruce' grandson).

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

But reporting a bunch of free tattoos can’t even compare to not reporting a serial spousal abuser (IF Meyer even knew abt all of it.  We know he reported it once to UofFL officials).

It’s not even apples & oranges.  It’s pomegranates and bananas - they don’t even have the same shape!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

But reporting a bunch of free tattoos can’t even compare to not reporting a serial spousal abuser (IF Meyer even knew abt all of it.  We know he reported it once to UofFL officials).

It’s not even apples & oranges.  It’s pomegranates and bananas - they don’t even have the same shape!

And, when he reported it in Florida, it should've been the end of Zach Smith's career as a football coach.  Instead, he brought him along to Ohio State.  Even if Florida didn't have the cohones to fire Smith, Urban should've refused to have him on his staff.  Domestic violence is a 'one strike and you're out' offense, IMO.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And, when he reported it in Florida, it should've been the end of Zach Smith's career as a football coach.  Instead, he brought him along to Ohio State.  Even if Florida didn't have the cohones to fire Smith, Urban should've refused to have him on his staff.  Domestic violence is a 'one strike and you're out' offense, IMO.

I agree.  I even said that to hubby last night.  Reports are out now that Urban is admitting he knew abt the 2015 police reports.  Yet he did nothing.  This saddens and sickens me, as a member of the religion known as The Ohio State Buckeyes.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 9:24 AM, doodlebug said:

The part that gets me is from reading reactions from OSU fans on the CFB reddit thread on the McMurphy report was that Smith wasn't one of the better OSU and Meyer assistants.  The only reason it seems that Smith had such longevity with Meyer was that he was Earle Bruce's grandson and Bruce was Meyer's major coaching mentor. 

I'm no OSU fan and would have rather seen Meyer gone after losing to Michigan, MSU and Penn State multiple years in a row and/or getting blown out by whichever team be it Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa that wins the Big 10 west in the championship game.  It seems so anticlimatic for him to possibly be gone this way.  The administrative leave is likely to give OSU lawyers time to find reasons to fire him without paying his very large buyout.

That domestic violence clause was likely added because it seems to be a pattern with certain high profile players in Meyer's teams at both Florida and OSU.  The Tebow halo effect somewhat masked that at Florida, but it's become more of a visible problem at OSU. 

• Love 2

Does anyone know if the UNC football players who were suspended for selling their Jordans were: 

1. Greedy little capitalists looking to make a quick buck  -OR-
  2. Poor, hungry college students who can’t get a work-study job to pay for their Ramen noodles and who can’t capitalize on the billions of dollars being made every year using their names and likenesses?

or some combination of the two?

2 hours ago, topanga said:

Does anyone know if the UNC football players who were suspended for selling their Jordans were: 

1. Greedy little capitalists looking to make a quick buck  -OR-
  2. Poor, hungry college students who can’t get a work-study job to pay for their Ramen noodles and who can’t capitalize on the billions of dollars being made every year using their names and likenesses?

or some combination of the two?

We were discussing this today at work, since several of our employees are alumni.

Apparently there was a meeting prior to the last few seasons were the coaches reiterate NO SELLING OF UNIFORMS OR MEMORABILIA.  They knew the rules. They broke the rules.

I vote for #1.

• Love 1

Urban Meyer suspended for three games.

The more I read, the more I came to understand that Urban pretty much followed what was existing protocall.  But the AD needs to go - for this and the other two scandals going on.

Oh and Courtney Smith is a gold digger in the sense that she only came forward 1] aft Zach got fired, then she lost a part of her hush money; and 2) with promises of payments from the reporter and his rag.  (A reporter who despises Urban BTW).

Did Urban make mistakes?  Absolutely.  He lied to the media.  He also brought Zach w/him to tOSU and he shouldn’t have.  That was mostly because Zach Smith is a Earl Bruce’s grandson, and Earl was Urban’s mentor.

19 hours ago, roamyn said:

I Urban Meyer suspended for three games.

The more I read, the more I came to understand that Urban pretty much followed what was existing protocall.  But the AD needs to go - for this and the other two scandals going on.

Oh and Courtney Smith is a gold digger in the sense that she only came forward 1] aft Zach got fired, then she lost a part of her hush money; and 2) with promises of payments from the reporter and his rag.  (A reporter who despises Urban BTW).

Did Urban make mistakes?  Absolutely.  He lied to the media.  He also brought Zach w/him to tOSU and he shouldn’t have.  That was mostly because Zach Smith is a Earl Bruce’s grandson, and Earl was Urban’s mentor.

I just feel like Urban Meyer got a 'slap on the wrist" because he Is Urban Meyer.  He is a Winner, so the University wanted him to stay.   Zach Smith & his wife both sound like they are messed up and I agree that Urban kept Zach on staff because he is Earl Bruce's grandson.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

What does her being a "gold digger" have to do with the fact that she was being abused????

Love this article on Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/this-is-how-you-erase-a-woman-from-her-own-story-1828540806

• Love 11

Let me get this straight.  The UNC players get 4 games for selling school issued shoes and Urban Meyer gets 3 games for this while the Big 10 is still struggling with the MSU and the Nassar abuse scandal.

I hate the NCAA.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Let me get this straight.  The UNC players get 4 games for selling school issued shoes and Urban Meyer gets 3 games for this while the Big 10 is still struggling with the MSU and the Nassar abuse scandal.

I hate the NCAA.

THIS.

Also, the Big 10 is trash, IMO.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

What does her being a "gold digger" have to do with the fact that she was being abused????

Love this article on Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/this-is-how-you-erase-a-woman-from-her-own-story-1828540806

Nothing.  She was wrongly abused.  But why didn’t she come forward sooner, and then only if she got $$$$ from the rag?  She should’ve stepped up sooner to tell other spouses/partners that they’re not alone.

”Gold Digger” is probably the wrong term.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bosawks said:

I hate the NCAA.

The NCAA has no jurisdiction over Meyer's or Nassar's actions. The NCAA has no subpoena powers so they can't conduct a criminal investigation; really there's nothing they can do in those cases (in the case of Penn State, the NCAA was handed Louis Freeh's report and they used that to reduce Penn State's scholarships and impose a postseason ban; there is no such report for Urban or Nassar). They do have jurisdiction over what the UNC players did. I haven't read much about the UNC scandal, but I'm assuming UNC offered up the suspensions to the NCAA as a way to keep the NCAA from digging further into the issue (something schools do all the time to appease the NCAA). Players selling equipment is the exact same reason Jim Tressel was fired. No NCAA violations for Urban so no firing. You can blame Ohio State, not the NCAA, for Urban's slap on the wrist. OSU is as dirty as they come and they have the perfect football coach for their program. 

Interestingly there were people speculating that if OSU did fire Urban, they may hire Tressel since Tressel's show cause penalty is over. Tressel was a thug too. He just covered it up a little bit better.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

This is the response of a perfectly rational, not at all abusive, man.

https://deadspin.com/zach-smith-is-having-a-public-meltdown-1828692941

Seriously, Urbs, this unhinged lunatic is the guy you put your job on the line for? Because Earle Bruce? Was he really that great of a wide receivers coach?

Also, Ohio State looks petty and stupid for releasing the info that Tom Herman went to a strip club with Smith. Nobody cares that Herman went to a stupid strip club. It doesn't make it okay that Urban covered for an abuser.

• Love 6

Saban was a dick to that female reporter. I get that he's tired of answering the same questions over and over, but she was just doing her job. All this hassle could be eliminated if they'd just announce a firm starter and put the "controversy" to rest. 

• Love 2

For once ever, I agree with Finebaum (aka Skeletor).  I hate Satan for a multitude of reasons, but I’m not ignorant and recognize he is the best coach of all time.  But come on dude, don’t be a dick ALL THE TIME.  I get that’s him and Belichek’s schtick, but seriously.  Even that shit gets old.  Oh how I miss my Les and Spurrier.  Crazy AF, the both of them, but at least had a good nature and sense of humor.  

I’ve spent the day kicking myself for doubting my team (and not betting for them).  Last night was such a pleasant surprise, even my son was OK with my hollering!  (Usually he’s like MOM STOP YELLING).

• Love 2

How in the flying fuck does that "no, that's not a safety even though when his knee goes down half the ball is in the damn end zone" call stand?

And then goddamned USC turns around and hands Texas a first down with a stupid personal foul.

I need to speed up my drinking if I'm going to make it through this game.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I need to speed up my drinking if I'm going to make it through this game.

Forget it; they don't make enough whiskey to have numbed the effects of this game.  This is going to be a long fucking season.

Cheering a guy being ejected for targeting is a tacky move.  And, yes, I freely acknowledge the same thing would have happened when Porter Gustin got the boot for the same thing, had this been played at the Coliseum.  The disgusting glorification of "the big hit" remains, even where that hit is inexcusably dangerous (and thus prohibited) -- so long as it's your guy doing the hitting.

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Man, the Big 10 crapped the bed yesterday. If OSU doesn't sweep the regular season, I don't see how anyone in the conference gets to the playoff.

Well, maybe Penn St.  but yeah, bad day for the B1G.  WI & NE, what happened?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, roamyn said:

Well, maybe Penn St.  but yeah, bad day for the B1G.  WI & NE, what happened?

Colorado played dirty (seriously, check out the film releases after the game) and took out our QB. Our second string QB quit the day after not being named starter (special snowflake) so we are left with a walk-on because UCF won’t let Vedral (a Nebraska kid) out of his scholarship. It was just bad. I worry our future opponents will target Martinez to get him out of the game. 

Ironic that Trevor goes down at Clemson the same week Kelly quit.  But Chip (?) did an admirable job.   Though I still wish Syracuse won.

Were there any upsets or blow outs?  I only watched SYR vs CLEM and then the most important game tOSU vs PA.

At first I was not happy we won by 1, but then I realized that PA St is no Rutgers.  It should’ve been a tough game, tho the secondary scared me, how bad they were playing at times.  While I don’t believe we should jump in the standings, we should stay at #4.  And PA shouldn’t drop out of the 10, because it’s a “good” loss.

• Love 1

Four teams in the Top 10 went down today. It was almost five, but Notre Dame pulled it out against Pitt.

Big Ten's getting interesting, Penn St. goes down and Michigan's looking legit. (Sorry, Cheeseheads)

Best sign on College Gameday: "Hornibrook eats at The Chum Bucket"

• Love 2

Purdue put on a show last night, and it was absolutely thrilling. Then someone started cutting onions in my house due to #Tylerstrong.

It almost took the sting out of my team losing yesterday, ᵃˡᵐᵒˢᵗ.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

That was totally embarrassing!

It was, and I am totally loving it. I cannot stand OSU. Karmic justice for Meyer’s BS.

Also, I am happy for Taylor Trent. His story is heartbreaking. Blessings upon him.

• Love 4

So the first college football rankings were released on Tuesday. Bama, Clemson, LSU & Notre Dame headline the first rankings of 2018.  I totally get a laugh whenever the people make fun of the fans that are crying about their placement of the rankings.  Especially Notre Dame.  As mentioned keep winning.  OTOH, while Michigan & Georgia should be okay, Oklahoma and those below them might not be.  But that was directed at LSU & Notre Dame who both control their own destiny.  I believe with the new crew, while it's not as big of a deal as the one released on December 2nd, without saying it, UCF is not getting in