Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Who would've guessed that the only undefeated team left in the Pac-12 would be Arizona?

Who would've guessed that after last year's 1-11 season, California would be 4-1 and currently in first place in the Pac 12 North with a 2-1 conference record?

Well, Todd Gurley has been suspended indefinitely by the NCAA (if you believe Internet rumors, and you should, it's for selling his autograph on eBay). So good luck with that, Georgia. I have visions of Mizzou winning the SEC East.

Here's what I've learned in week 7:

• Ole Miss and Mississippi State are for real, and Mississippi State should jump to #1 in the next polls.
  • Arizona did not deserve its #10 ranking.
  • What a comeback by Baylor.  24 unanswered points and the game-winning FG.  But on the flipside, what a chokejob by TCU.
  • After back-to-back losses, Texas A&M is a pretender.
  • LSU would've been 0-3 in the SEC if a certain QB hadn't Driskeled the game.
  • Georgia is the best team in the SEC East, but really, that's not saying anything.
  • Brady Hoke's hot seat cooled off a little bit.  Just a little.

Michigan is too obsessed with hiring a "Michigan Man." If they throw buckets of money at an SEC coach, it's going to be Les Miles. The other rumor is Jim Harbaugh.

Though all bets are off if they actually fire the AD and hire someone competent.

One of those coaches might wind up in Florida if they follow through with firing Muschamp.

Here's what I've learned in week 7:

• Ole Miss and Mississippi State are for real, and Mississippi State should jump to #1 in the next polls.
  • Arizona did not deserve its #10 ranking.
  • What a comeback by Baylor.  24 unanswered points and the game-winning FG.  But on the flipside, what a chokejob by TCU.
  • After back-to-back losses, Texas A&M is a pretender.
  • LSU would've been 0-3 in the SEC if a certain QB hadn't Driskeled the game.
  • Georgia is the best team in the SEC East, but really, that's not saying anything.
  • Brady Hoke's hot seat cooled off a little bit.  Just a little.

That was unbelievable. I turned that game off when TCU went up 21 points in the 4th to find a more competitive game, when I came back and saw that Baylor tied it with under 2 minutes to go, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Yeah, no one saw that coming. Baylor goes down to West Virginia.

Bad day for the state of Oklahoma as the Sooners lose to KState and OK State gets stomped by TCU.

Come on, quick hurricane and/or earthquake at Doak Campbell right now.

On the bright side, Notre Dame lost. On the not-so-bright side, FSU won. Ugh. I was watching the game with a bunch of people and we were all, "Uhhh...what do we want to happen in this game?"

At least it was a good game.

I do not envy the playoff committee its job this season.

• Love 1

When Herbie compared Winston's ability to shake off defenders to Ben Roethlisberger I thought, given their legal histories, that comparison is probably more apt than he intended.

• Love 5

What I learned in week 8:

• Luck Of The Seminoles: Florida State would be 6-1 right now if not for that offensive pass interference call against Notre Dame.  Sooner or later their luck is gonna run out.
  • After a big comeback at home last week, Baylor fell for the trap in Morgantown.
  • Kansas State is now 2-0 in its last two trips to Norman.
  • All the hype Kenny Hill built up at the beginning of the season is completely gone.
  • Lose at home to Indiana, beat South Carolina on the road.  Get shut out at home by Georgia, blow out Florida on the road.  Missouri is this season's Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.
  • Florida needs a change, badly.
  • The Buckeyes are a better team now than when they lost to Virginia Tech
  • Love 1

Oh how I love college football. I did not enjoy the first half of my Huskers' game against Northwestern but enjoyed the second half quite a bit. Because I'm a horrible person, on our last offense drive, I kind of wanted them to try to pull off the hail mary from last year. You know, just for shits and giggles. I know, I'm a horrible person. :)

Now living in Oklahoma I quite enjoyed seeing OU lose. Their fans I interact with are quite arogant and pompous.

Wasn't aTm supposed to be a national championship contender at the start of the year? Whoops. Also, I'm in a college football pick 'em league. I'm beyond annoyed with Arkansas. It was painful to pick them but they had come so close the past few weeks I thought they would finally break through and be victorious. Nope. Not so much. Never again Arkansas. Never again.

I agree with a poster upthread, I would hate to be on the playoff committee. This has been a wild, and fun, season and it is only half over.

Speaking of the committee, Archie Manning resigned from it. Prayers to him for his health. They will move forward with only 12 members.

Also, did anyone watch "Unbeaten" on BTN following the Nebraska-Northwestern game? It was a short documentary on Brook Berringer. My eyes got a little misty watching it.

Edited by Misschievious
Wasn't aTm supposed to be a national championship contender at the start of the year?

A&M was way way way wayyyyyyyyyyyy overrated just by virtue of being in the SEC. And as much hype as the SEC West gets, things will be very interesting when Georgia meets the winner of the Egg Bowl in the SEC championship game. The SEC champion could come from the East!

Arkansas may get Bret Bielema his first SEC win against LSU in a couple weeks here. But even that's not certain (as a Badger fan, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA #karma).

I have the Brook Berringer show sitting on my DVR, will have to find time to watch it.

Ohio State and Michigan State are on a collision course. Should be a great game in a couple of weeks here.

Speaking of the SEC, has anyone watch the SEC Network?

I remember watching Texas A&M vs. South Carolina with Brent Musburger calling the game Week 1.

But that's it.

SEC Network was touted as this big deal, yet they haven't really had any marquee matchups (yes, I know, of course they wouldn't, but I kinda miss Musburger...)

Arkansas may get Bret Bielema his first SEC win against LSU in a couple weeks here. But even that's not certain (as a Badger fan, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA #karma).

Did he leave with bad blood between him and the school? I remember saying to myself last season that I bet he wish he had stayed at Wisconsin with Arkansas' abysmal record.

Speaking of the SEC, has anyone watch the SEC Network?

I remember watching Texas A&M vs. South Carolina with Brent Musburger calling the game Week 1.

But that's it.

SEC Network was touted as this big deal, yet they haven't really had any marquee matchups (yes, I know, of course they wouldn't, but I kinda miss Musburger...)

I'll turn it on sometimes when other games are on halftime or blowouts. I did happen to catch the end of that crazy South Carolina/Kentucky game, but it seems some of the games are really lackluster. Hopefully they'll pick up with November right around the corner and the big rivalry games are played.

Did he leave with bad blood between him and the school? I remember saying to myself last season that I bet he wish he had stayed at Wisconsin with Arkansas' abysmal record.

Nope, just randomly up and left. It was really out of the blue. He made some not-so-nice comments about UW after his departure, which he had no real reason to do. Since then it's become pretty clear that he left because his wife didn't like Madison. He hasn't won an SEC game since she tweeted #karma after a Wisconsin loss last year.

ESPN will not put marquee matchups on SEC Network. They had no issues with distribution so they don't have to blackmail carriers into picking it up. And remember, CBS still gets a major SEC game each week as well.

What I learned in week 9:

• Death Valley in Baton Rouge + night game = where national title hopes go to die.
  • We knew Texas Tech was bad, but giving up 82 points?  Kliff Kingsbury isn't gonna last very long if he can't turn it around.
  • Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech continues to look worse.
  • The Big Ten refs during the Ohio State-Penn State game made the Pac-12 refs look competent.

That's all I got.

• We knew Texas Tech was bad, but giving up 82 points?  Kliff Kingsbury isn't gonna last very long if he can't turn it around.

I hope they improve, because Kliff Kingsbury is hot and I am shallow, so he needs to always be employed so I can look at him.

/drools

• Love 2

I hope they improve, because Kliff Kingsbury is hot and I am shallow, so he needs to always be employed so I can look at him.

/drools

I agree a thousand percent with that statement. Personally, I think he is even better looking than his doppleganger, Ryan Gosling. :)

• Love 1

We should probably just create a Kliff Kingsbury appreciation thread. :)

So, the College Football Playoff committee rankings were released last night. I surprised myself by actually watching. It is ridiculous how everyone is already up in arms over the rankings. There is still a lot of football to be played. No reason to go into a tizzy at the moment.

As a Husker, I enjoyed (perhaps loved) being ranked ahead of Ohio State and Oklahoma. I was also thrilled that Wisconsin was not ranked. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if they could temporarily pull themselves together and get ranked by the time we play them on teh 15th to help our SOS.

• Love 1

I agree a thousand percent with that statement. Personally, I think he is even better looking than his doppleganger, Ryan Gosling. :)

Every time someone brings up the resemblance, I always think to myself that Ryan Gosling wishes he looked like Kliff Kingsbury. :D

As a Husker, I enjoyed (perhaps loved) being ranked ahead of Ohio State and Oklahoma. I was also thrilled that Wisconsin was not ranked. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if they could temporarily pull themselves together and get ranked by the time we play them on teh 15th to help our SOS.

Sure, we can.

I don't think we were ranked the last time we played Nebraska. Rankings and SOS weren't the most memorable thing about that game.

What I learned in week 10:

• Note to teams playing Florida State: when you have the lead, DO NOT take your foot off the gas.  Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a helluva lot more than just a mile.
  • The road to the ACC Coastal Division title runs through Durham...again.
  • For the third straight year, TCU-West Virginia ends in a nail biter with the road team as the victor.
  • Once again, Georgia never fails to lose a game they have no business losing.
  • Will Muschamp may have saved his job for one more year.
  • Ole Miss is more than likely out of playoff contention.
  • No team looks invincible.

What I learned in week 10:

• Note to teams playing Florida State: when you have the lead, DO NOT take your foot off the gas.  Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a helluva lot more than just a mile.
  • The road to the ACC Coastal Division title runs through Durham...again.
  • For the third straight year, TCU-West Virginia ends in a nail biter with the road team as the victor.
  • Once again, Georgia never fails to lose a game they have no business losing.
  • Will Muschamp may have saved his job for one more year.
  • Ole Miss is more than likely out of playoff contention.
  • No team looks invincible.

I don't think Mushchamp has saved his job.  He's going to lose at least two more before it's all over.  Ending on the road AT Florida State in what has the potential to be a blowout loss isn't good for him.

That being said, as a Gator, I was happy for him and the team yesterday.  It was Mushchamp's first win EVER in the Florida-Georgia rivalry both as a player and coach (he played at Georgia) and the story of the walk-on backup wide receiver/holder/bagger at Publix getting the TD on the fake field goal was a good story.  Matt Jones and Kelvin Taylor having great games was great too.

And it's always nice to beat Georgia and make it a little harder for them to get to Atlanta.

They needed that big rivalry game win after the season they've had and what's possibly coming, so if Muschamp ends up gone (and I believe he will be) he and the team have this great win/memory for the season.

Here's what I learned in week 11:

• Auburn fumbled its way out of playoff contention.
  • Arizona State was lucky to have beaten Notre Dame, they almost let that game get away.
  • Bob Stoops has now lost back-to-back home games for the first time ever at Oklahoma.
  • The Mississippi State-Alabama game will ultimately decide who wins the SEC West (and more than likely, the SEC).
  • Baylor finally scored a quality win on the road.
  • Meanwhile West Virginia suffered a hangover in Austin.

And even if Ohio State wins out I don't think they should get in the Top 4, because of the Virginia Tech loss.

Here's what I learned in week 12:

• Two undefeated teams left, one of whom was lucky to escape with a win.
  • Once again, a team grabbed Florida State by the throat in the first half and foolishly let go in the second half.
  • Melvin Gordon is unstoppable.
  • Nebraska never fails to flop badly when it matters most.
  • Florida's special teams handed South Carolina the game.
  • After 2 years, Arkansas finally, finally won an SEC game...by shutting out LSU no less.
  • How does Texas A&M follow up a big win at Auburn?  Why, by losing at home to Missouri, of course.
  • Following a big win at home last week, Arizona State fell for the trap in Corvallis.
  • TCU should drop out of the Top 4 after struggling against an awful Kansas team.
  • It must be time for Notre Dame's late season meltdown.

At 10-0, will Marshall finally make it into the playoff rankings?

Edited by Evolution101

Here's what I learned in week 13:

• LaDainian Tomlinson held the record for most rushing yards in a single game for 15 years.  Melvin Gordon held it for just one week.
  • The ACC Championship Game is set: Florida State vs. Georgia Tech.
  • Speaking of the Seminoles, they were lucky yet again this week.
  • Back-to-back shutout wins over ranked opponents.  Arkansas finally found its groove.
  • The wheels for Ole Miss have fell off.
  • Michigan is in danger of missing the postseason for the third time in the last 7 seasons.

Thought it was cool that College Gameday was at the Yale/Harvard game.

For the first time in years, the Iron Bowl will be on ESPN (because CBS already aired Alabama 5 times, which is their limit).

So College Gameday will be there.

Yet Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler will be calling Florida-Florida State that night.

And Brent Musberger and Jesse Palmer will be calling the Iron Bowl.

Anybody find this weird?

Nah. Gameday used to go to different locations than the game that Herbstreit (and Musberger) would call all the time.

I like Musberger and wish ESPN hadn't shunted him off to the SEC Network. His voice has a certain big game gravitas that Fowler's doesn't. It's like Keith Jackson. When Musberger is calling a game, you know it's a big one. I guess that's not so true anymore though.

I'm still thinking Georgia or Mizzou could win the SEC and thus -- no playoff team from the SEC.

Edited by Minneapple

Nah. Gameday used to go to different locations than the game that Herbstreit (and Musberger) would call all the time.

I like Musberger and wish ESPN hadn't shunted him off to the SEC Network. His voice has a certain big game gravitas that Fowler's doesn't. It's like Keith Jackson. When Musberger is calling a game, you know it's a big one. I guess that's not so true anymore though.

I'm still thinking Georgia or Mizzou could win the SEC and thus -- no playoff team from the SEC.

My point is that Fowler and Herbstreit are the No. 1 team.

And Musburger/Palmer are lowly, lowly, SEC Network people.

So why is Fowler and Herbstreit not calling the No. 1 game of the day, a game which they will be doing College Gameday at?

Why is Musberger/Palmer getting the No. 1 game?

ESPN finally gets to nab the Iron Bowl from CBS, and they don't give it to the No. 1 team?!?!?

And why are they doing a non particularly interesting Florida-Florida State game?

I would give nearly equal importance to the Iron Bowl and Florida/Florida State. Neither Auburn nor Florida is making the playoffs, so neither game is all that great unless the underdog wins. In fact it'd be a bigger story if Florida managed to beat Florida State.

Musberger is the better play by play guy, so if I'm watching the Iron Bowl I'd rather hear his voice anyway.

Musberger is the better play by play guy, so if I'm watching the Iron Bowl I'd rather hear his voice anyway.

I forgot how good Musberger is. I don't mind Chris Fowler. I enjoyed him when he did Thursday night games with Herbstreit.

But Musberger is great at capturing it all.

Here's what I learned in week 13:

• The championship games for the Pac-12, Big Ten, and SEC have been set.  The Big 12 will be decided next week.
  • The ACC went 4-0 against the SEC this week.
  • Florida State's luck continues.  The fact that Jameis Winston threw 4 picks but Florida still lost says more about the Gators than the Seminoles.  No wonder Will Muschamp isn't coming back next year.
  • Baylor did not make a good case for the playoffs this week against Texas Tech.  Luckily for them they'll get one more chance to impress against Kansas State.
  • Brady Hoke is done at Michigan.
  • UCLA had its best opportunity to beat Stanford in years...and still failed.
  • Notre Dame's late season collapse is complete.
  • Marshall finally made it into the playoff rankings...only to lose to Western Kentucky in OT.
  • Mississippi State is out of the playoffs.

Colorado State head coach Jim McElwain will be the new head coach at Florida.

Meanwhile, Nebraska has lured Mike Riley away from Oregon State.  I'd consider this one a downgrade.

As a native Nebraskan and die-hard Husker fan I have no idea what to think of this hire. His record is horrible compared to Pelini's but everyone is saying you have to consider the context. A lot of those in the college football circle (media, coaches, former players, etc) have had great things to say. It seems like he is a rock star in recruiting, which we need. One ESPN reporter who used to work for the Omaha World Herald tweeted a thought about how, considering Riley's age, perhaps he is being brought in with a DC or OC in mind to be groomed as a coach-in-waiting. The name he threw out, to no surprise, was Scott Frost.

I think this needs to be a wait and see situation. A lot of people are comparing it to our hiring of Tim Miles in basketball and how it didn't seem like a great hire and look at what he has done. I'm just not sure what to think. But until I have a reason not to cheer for him as our coach, I'll cheer for him.

What pisses me off though is our douche of an AD emailed the players to tell them of the new coach. WTF!

I would think that the Riley hire is a placeholder for Nebraska until Craig Bohl gets a few years under his belt at Wyoming. Patience, Husker fans. It will take a while to return to 1995.

It will be very interesting to see who Michigan gets. I assume it will be a Name.