Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2022 Season

• Start Topic

Charles Lindberg?! Laura Ingalls Wilder's distant cousin? I never knew this about Lindberg so it was a twist I didn't see coming! See, this is why I hate that she's just on once a week because I enjoy her quirky history lessons and the way she connects them to current events.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

No, I believe she said that the female aviator Laura Ingalls was a cousin of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Oops, sorry I worded it badly, I wasn't referencing Lindberg as being her cousin. Since he's the one I'd heard of before because he was so famous (and the Lindberg Baby kidnapping) I meant that it was quite a twist to find out he became a Nazi sympathizer. It was strange to keep hearing the name "Laura Ingalls" in a completely different context, but it was also interesting that another aviator of some public stature ended up the same way.

Now I'm really curious about what Amelia Earhart may have been up to and that perhaps she didn't just "accidentally" go missing. 👽😄

Edited by Scout Finch
9 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Since he's the one I'd heard of before because he was so famous (and the Lindberg Baby kidnapping) I meant that it was quite a twist to find out he became a Nazi sympathizer.

Oh.  My bad.  LIndbergh being a Nazi sympathizer is well documented.  In my mind, he's always been right there with the Duke of Windsor.

I recommend Ken Burns's recent PBS documentary series, The U.S. and the Holocaust, and HBO's miniseries of Philip Roth's The Plot Against America for a fictional alternative history version where Nazi sympathizer LIndbergh wins the 1940 election.  Some of the things Lindbergh actually said, in public, will make your jaw drop.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Oh.  My bad.  LIndbergh being a Nazi sympathizer is well documented.  In my mind, he's always been right there with the Duke of Windsor.

I recommend Ken Burns's recent PBS documentary series, The U.S. and the Holocaust, and HBO's miniseries of Philip Roth's The Plot Against America for a fictional alternative history version where Nazi sympathizer LIndbergh wins the 1940 election.  Some of the things Lindbergh actually said, in public, will make your jaw drop.

I'll definitely check those out!

I kinda have a bet with myself if every Monday show from now on, till the end of her zillion dollar contract (which is maybe another 5 shows?) will be made up of 45 minutes of talk on Nazis & WW2  . . . and then she'll force herself to discuss current news for maybe 15 minutes, if that?

I rarely watch anymore cuz I'm so not in the mood for politics on Mondays, but we'll see . . .

Well, this one wasn't about WW2, it was about a terrorist action where they shot up some substations in California and North Carolina. I had heard the latter briefly mentioned earlier, and it didn't seem all that important.

But apparently she did. it might give assholes ideas.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

Well, this one wasn't about WW2, it was about a terrorist action where they shot up some substations in California and North Carolina. I had heard the latter briefly mentioned earlier, and it didn't seem all that important.

But apparently she did. it might give assholes ideas.

From this show and others since the NC attack, we've learned that the CA attack is well known on the dark side of the internet and has long been a topic of discussion among domestic extremist groups. 

I do know attacking the power grid for various nefarious reasons has also been done on TV shows.  When squirrels can bring down large parts of our fragile power grid, even the dimmest terrorist probably has it on their list of potential targets. 

• Love 1

She is talking about the past grid attacks because of the one that happened in the present. Why wouldn't it be important to look at how these kinds of things work, and to inform the public about them? What do people want her to cover?

She's always put current events into historical context. It's what she's famous for, isn't it? It's what makes her show different than all the other shows that blather endlessly about the moment, with opinions and speculation rather than actual context and information.

Honestly, I think that what she does is crucial. Those who ignore history, especially when it is repeating itself, are totally unprepared to understand and do anything about what they are experiencing.

Edited by possibilities
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8

One well-timed attack on an electrical power station during an election can really screw up our elections.  This is domestic terrorism, and I appreciate her showing it's not a one-off but a strategy for domestic terrorists to terrorize us. 

• Love 9