Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E10: The Housewives

• Start Topic

I haven't been able to find stills of the dresses, but here is a short instagram of the runway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYenn_qoAXz/

I have never watched a Housewives show, but I'm not judging those who do. We all have our guilty pleasures and mine is British murder mysteries. 

That being said, wow, this was the trashiest runway ever, and I hid behind a pillow shrinking from the secondhand embarrassment. That's not necessarily a bad thing in a reality show, but I watch for the clothes.

I thought the right outfits won and lost. Shantall's look was crisp and well done and the lace in the slit was excellent. While I appreciate Aaron for being a cranky bitch, his outfits are...fine. They don't wow me. He designs nice outfits for ladies who lunch and his tailoring is fantastic.

That short dress on the one woman was hideous and deserved to be in the bottom. Kristina's pink had issues in the fit of the crotch. And the material just was...tacky. I mean, the whole runway was tacky, but that was super tacky. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

There was a great moment, several seasons ago, a contestant made a fabulous "Michelle Obama"- style dress on a plus-sized model. Does anyone else remember that?

That was season 16, 1st episode and it was Deyonte Weather who won.

• Love 3

I just find this season wholly unappealing. The contestants are too much: too much shrieking; too much into displaying their extra personalities: too much dressing themselves up for the runway. Just. Too. Much.  
I stick with what I said earlier In The season. These are not people I care to hang out with once a week

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I have never watched a Housewives show, but I'm not judging those who do. We all have our guilty pleasures and mine is British murder mysteries. 

I'm with you on the British murder mysteries!!!!

The only "Housewives" thing I've watched is the occasional commercial.  It doesn't seem to matter where they are . . . they should rename the franchise "Life Styles of the Rich and Tasteless."

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Minicatfall said:

That was season 16, 1st episode and it was Deyonte Weather who won.

I had to go back and read up on that season. I had erased it from my mind because of those intolerable twins!
But I did like Deyonte, even more so since he is a local (Seattle area) talent.

Here is that look.

image.thumb.jpeg.97f2ad386c8e99ce72c3c9f2de005749.jpeg

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 19
On 1/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, JapMo said:

The best part of the show, IMO, was the FIERCE dressing down Christian gave to Kristina when she was not paying attention.  Whoa!  The words were few, but combined with his heat seeking missile glare, there's no way she didn't walk away with singed eyebrows. 

There's a reason why Christian is running a multi-million dollar business.

100%! I think he was mortified by her behavior. The Housewives might be tacky and over the top, but they are high profile clients and more important to Bravo than PR. He knows this. I personally think she should have been offed for her atrocious unprofessional behavior as well as the fugly outfit and weird unnecessary scarf. I was expecting a conflab between Christian and the judges about how horribly she behaved towards her client. I do think that should have been taken into account. When she was standing there ignoring Wendy and Christian ripped that fabric out of her hands and told her to focus, I thought for sure she was a goner. Stomping off crying and leaving her client standing there not knowing what to do was some of the most childish behavior I've ever seen on this show. I am not a fan of what she does at all, and this made me dislike her as person as well. Wendy might have been lying on the runway, but there is no excuse for Kristina's tantrum in the workroom.

I think Anna would have done better with something like she designed the challenge she won with the fabric she brought from home. Saying "I don't know this show, or this is not what I do" is a cop out. They were shown pictures. It's obvious from one photo from a reunion show that it needs to be over the top glam. And then Christian says "you can't just make a pencil skirt" and her response is "Ok - I'll make a structured pencil skirt." Huh? And that boot! Just no......

I think Aaron should have won. I'm glad his client wore his outfit anyway. It might not be fashion forward, but none of these looks are.  When someone says "I want to show off my new boobs and butt" or "I'm gonna need to wear three spanks and don't show my arms" or "I wanna look like a Barbie" this isn't exactly the haute couture challenge......

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, kirklandia said:

I had to go back and read up on that season. I had erased it from my mind because of those intolerable twins!

I re-watched season 16 recently and, yes, the twins and practically everything else about that season grated.

Thanks for posting the picture - I didn't know how. 🙂

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Minicatfall said:

I re-watched season 16 recently and, yes, the twins and practically everything else about that season grated.

Thanks for posting the picture - I didn't know how. 🙂

You can just right click on a photo to reveal the drop down box

and then left click on "copy image link"

put your cursor  where you want the image in your post and left click paste

and it will change from the typewritten link to the image in a second

📸

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

You can just right click on a photo to reveal the drop down box

and then left click on "copy image link"

put your cursor  where you want the image in your post and left click paste

and it will change from the typewritten link to the image in a second

Excellent and thanks!

• Love 1
On 1/7/2022 at 6:41 AM, backgroundnoise said:

I thought Bones did the best job.  His client looked great in that and he added some needed flair with the feathers.  Coral lucked out big time, but I think nude fabric needs some sparkle to keep it from looking drab.  

Bones is an excellent listener, which is a great skill for a designer working with clients.  She seemed really happy with the dress, feathers and all. 

Coral didn't know the Housewives so she just made something she wanted to make, seemingly inspired by the fabric she found at Mood.  The dress was great, and it looked great on Leah.  It was my favorite of the runway, but I agree with you, it really needed some sparkle.

Luann has a great figure for modeling, but I didn't think that dress looked great on her.  Was that split-personality dress design one of Christian's suggestions?  I recall him saying she could turn one side to the camera and look a certain way, and then look different when she turned the other way.  Like, why is that good, Christian?!

• Love 9
On 1/7/2022 at 1:51 AM, Talented Tenth said:

It didn't look good though, which is the point of the show.  Had it looked good, Wendy would have possibly liked it and said something to the effect of, "I normally wouldn't wear a suit, but this is so great it changed my mind!". The outfit wasn't in the bottom two because Wendy said she wouldn't wear pants; it was in the bottom two because it wasn't good.  It's also the job of the designer to probe more and have better communication to understand what they're designing for.  The women all had look books.  I'm unsure if the designers had access to their phones or a computer but the designer could have also looked at what other women have worn.  

Watching Wendy on that runway I couldn't help but think of Wesley Snipes in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.  

• LOL 12
On 1/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, millennium said:

I have never watched a Real Housewives show and I can't stand "pop culture icon" Andy Cohen.  In fact, I stopped watching the CNN New Years Eve show the year they brought Andy Cohen on to replace Kathy Griffin.   From what I understand the network received many complaints this year and had to "have a talk with" Andy Cohen because he behaved like a drunken asshole during the broadcast.

That said, this was the most cringey episode of PR I have ever seen.  The designers were extra, the judges were extra, the guests were extra, it was a complete shitshow.

I don't know anything about the Housewives but they came off more like drag queens or caricatures of women.   The way Andy Cohen related to them (IMO) was gross.  He seemed (to me anyway) to regard them as property.  Like showdogs or something.

Lowlights:

Chasity's screeching.

The designers hooting and hollering during the runway.

Kristina's ugly crying.

Shirtless Bones in the workroom (way to promote a professional atmosphere).

Bones's runway look (give him an eyepatch and he's Pete Burns in "You Spin Me Right Round, Baby, Right Round")

Nina's vinyl dress (guessing if I google "should women over 50 wear vinyl dresses" the consensus would probably be no).

Elaine's baggy white boots.

The judges shamelessly fawning over the mediocre designs for the benefit of crossover promotion.

Kristina and Aaron designing essentially the same outfit, but Aaron getting kudos while Kristina gets shredded.

Christian telling Kristina "I'm going to murder you" (although it was kind of funny the way it came out).

Nina telling Anna her design was "inappropriate for a reunion show."  Huh?  What precisely is "reunion show" apparel, Nina?  Can you perhaps point me to some designers who specialize in "reunion show" fashion?

Andy Cohen from start to finish.

As a person who does watch the housewives I feel 100% different from this whole post.  You really have to know the aesthetic of the reunion shows to appreciate the looks that were designed for these women.  The majority of the looks fit the women to a tee.  The one that didn't got eliminated and I totally understood why.  And you can hate Andy Cohen but face it, he's been part of the production of an enormous cash cow called "The Real Housewives of..." that's been running for 16 years so yes, he knows these women Inside and out!  All in all I enjoyed this episode.  The only thing I was disappointed about was they didn't include Ramona and her famous runway walk!  🤣

ramona-singer-runway-walk-rhony.jpg

Edited by swankie
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 1/7/2022 at 8:00 PM, Stats Queen said:

I find it interesting that no Real Housewives of Atlanta were present. I think that was a really good choice because it would be disrespectful of this contestants to be forced to create something so tacky with so, so, so much boobage. 

I think Cynthia and Eva would have been great on here since they are also real models.  But maybe the fact that they are no longer on their show was a factor.  Plus for Atlanta large butts trumps the large boobage to me.  🤣

Edited by swankie
Grammar
On 1/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Exactly.  And when Kristina was asked if Wendy told her she didn't want pants, and Kristina said, "No," Wendy should have said, "That's true.  I told her she could do whatever she wanted as long as it looked good.  Turns out it didn't look good, but that doesn't mean I was okay with pants because I specifically told Christian I didn't want pants."

I think the fact that Wendy was wearing a pant suit when they initially met threw Kristina off and made her think that was Wendy's aesthetic. Not ever seeing a housewives reunion show she had nothing else to go by.  And I seriously think Wendy was thinking of an after five-ish suit with a skirt when Kristina said suit.  It was an overall miscommunication between the two.  

Edited by swankie
Spelling
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, swankie said:

As a person who does watch the housewives I feel 100% different from this whole post.  You really have to know the aesthetic of the reunion shows to appreciate the looks that were designed for these women.  The majority of the looks fit the women to a tee.  The one that didn't got eliminated and I totally understood why.  And you can hate Andy Cohen but face it, he's been part of the production of an enormous cash cow called "The Real Housewives of..." that's been running for 16 years so yes, he knows these women Inside and out! 

ramona-singer-runway-walk-rhony.jpg

I understand your perspective, but the show I DVR'ed, and have been watching for years, is  called Project Runway.   I don't think it should be incumbent upon me or any other viewer of Project Runway to have an understanding or appreciation of the Housewives reunion shows.  Clearly Project Runway expected its audience to be familiar with the goings-on of the Housewives show, and for those who weren't, well, tough shit. IMO, this episode was disrespectful of probably a big portion of PR viewers. 

As for Andy Cohen, there are plenty of POS men in this country who have developed cash cows.  It doesn't mean they are entitled to an ounce of my respect or a minute of my time.

ETA:  This episode cemented my opinion that this has been one of the worst PR seasons in recent memory. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 11
On 1/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, Michichick said:

Shannon had her insecurities on full display; she’s a drama queen and generally annoys the crap out of me. Bones handled her very well and she looked good.

If I were her I would sue the show for giving that brief glimpse of her in her full body spanx. That's about what I would look like and lord, I would not want the world to see me. But she looked very nice in her dress. He did a good job.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, Michichick said:

Can’t stand Wendy and her outfit was so ill-fitting.

LOrd her "boobies" were threatening to jump ship all evening.

• Love 4

The whole premise behind these "real" client challenges is inherently designed to cause drama. You must absolutely listen to your client AND it absolutely must be your voice ringing through. If this were a real situation the client would go elsewhere if the vibes were off. Lesson: Make a really great outfit and EFF what the client has to say. I doubt anybody has gone home for making an objectively fashionable look that the client didn't like.  

I am trying to think of a professional situation where it is appropriate to work shirtless. Bones, my dude, put your shirt back on when you're at work.

I believe Andy Cohen is a fellow Deadhead so not surprised that Coral's hippie-vibe look appealed to him.

I am glad Chasity apologized for shrieking in Mood but man was that cringey to watch. 

I almost found the hooting and hollering coming off as a little condescending. Like when you cheer your 1st grader as they galumph around the track. Nobody thinks their child is fast but they have to be supportive. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I understand your perspective, but the show I DVR'ed, and have been watching for years, is  called Project Runway.   I don't think it should be incumbent upon me or any other viewer of Project Runway to have an understanding or appreciation of the Housewives reunion shows.  Clearly Project Runway expected its audience to be familiar with the goings-on of the Housewives show, and for those who weren't, well, tough shit. IMO, this episode was disrespectful of probably a big portion of PR viewers. 

As for Andy Cohen, there are plenty of POS men in this country who have developed cash cows.  It doesn't mean they are entitled to an ounce of my respect or a minute of my time.

ETA:  This episode cemented my opinion that this has been one of the worst PR seasons in recent memory. 

agreed

• Love 3

Regarding Wendy, her insistence on showcasing her newly purchased boobs and ass--and being mad about pants because she wanted to show off her legs--should Kristina have designed a bikini? I thought the standard advice was to choose one attribute -- legs OR boobs (or ass, I guess) -- or risk looking cheap. 

Regarding Lie-Gate (is that a thing? No? Ok ...) once Kristina had her breakdown, Wendy was never going to give her a break on the runway.  

Aaron's look for Gizelle (I think?) reminded me of S4 Rami's pink outfit for the female wrestler. Which was not well received. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:41 AM, backgroundnoise said:

Kristina calling someone else a Diva while sobbing about getting her widdle feelings hurt was hilarious, IMO.

I thought Bones did the best job.  His client looked great in that and he added some needed flair with the feathers.  

That "diva" comment was the height of irony. No self awareness there! 

I am not a huge Bones fan (those wigs destroy me) but he is a natural leader and has a good personality for this business, IMO. He seems a bit like an Anya -- nice ideas but lacking in craftsmanship.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

But y'all, the really tragic thing is that Ramona's (NYC) absence meant a whole new audience was denied the pleasure of her runway walk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZjguCC-zzA

OMG. I have never seen this before. What is up with those Manson Lamps?!

On 1/7/2022 at 10:04 PM, Fellaway said:

I feel I see a variation of the same dress from Chastity every week.

Completely agree about Chasity. She has talent but not a lot of creativity IMO. Her penchant for sequins leans a bit MoB. 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:24 AM, littlebennysmom said:

Chasity's diva freakout in Mood -- "HELLO, SOMEBODY AT THE BACK COME OUT HERE AND CUT MY $#@* FABRIC!" -- not cute.  

This was ATROCIOUS. Very disrepectful.

17 hours ago, izabella said:

Coral didn't know the Housewives so she just made something she wanted to make, seemingly inspired by the fabric she found at Mood.  The dress was great, and it looked great on Leah.  It was my favorite of the runway, but I agree with you, it really needed some sparkle.

Agree! Coral might actually be my favorite. She is quiet and under the radar, but she has an actual point of view. Agree about the sparkle, but I like that she embraced inspiration and tied it to her POV. 

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

If I were her I would sue the show for giving that brief glimpse of her in her full body spanx. 

That was awful. She looked fine, but if you're someone who won't try on a dress without spanx, you don't want to be on TV in said Spanx alone.

• Love 6

Didn't they say that Housewives shared lookbooks with the designers? That's more than they have gotten with similar challenges. Plus the Housewives said more than a few times what happens on the reunion shows, which include the most important facts for dressing: they are sitting down (most of the time... heh), they have to be eye-catching and worthy of sharing on media outlets, and that each of them usually choose to spotlight either chest or legs. The designers got a lot of information to work with even if they hadn't seen one.

• Love 6

Yeah, it's Project Runway.  There will always be curveballs.  Designers don't know how to make outfits out of car parts either but that was a past season challenge.  It's not going to be a full college class on the Housewives.  They're women, they need fancy dresses that show off their bodies.  If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't be on this show and competing as supposedly one of the best designers in the U.S. for a major prize.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, lovinbob said:

But y'all, the really tragic thing is that Ramona's (NYC) absence meant a whole new audience was denied the pleasure of her runway walk:

Then we would have seen some "diva" behavior!

I have some  advice for those of you who were  unfamiliar with  the Real Housewives Of shows and were quite horrified by what you saw,  stay far far away from Basketball Wives and Mob Wives.

• LOL 7

Given that my entire exposure to RH is promo ads while I'm watching Top Chef, PR, or Below Deck, (i.e. screaming and drink throwing) they were quite a bit more civilized than I expected. I particularly liked the woman who delicately chided the smokers. "This is a thing with you guys? Really?"

My thoughts exactly...

• Love 11
14 hours ago, millennium said:

I do respect your opinion but as far as the bolded part of your post there have been many celebrity guest judges on this show that I've never heard of either but I don't consider it disrespectful that PR had them on the show.  It's just a TV show after all.  

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, swankie said:

I do respect your opinion but as far as the bolded part of your post there have been many celebrity guest judges on this show that I've never heard of either but I don't consider it disrespectful that PR had them on the show.  It's just a TV show after all.  

It wasn't just the guest judge the show imposed upon us -- it was his whole dog and pony show of nipped-and-tucked narcissists we were subjected to.  This is the first time I can recall when Project Runway became subservient to another show.

• Love 4

There have been so many times when PR had random actors that were on shows or movies that no one has ever heard of!  Housewives, at least I've heard of this franchise.  Even before I started watching it I at least knew what it was.

Almost every season there is some kind of celebrity client like this one.  First season had Nancy O'Dell, second season had Sacha Cohen (figure skating), Season 3 had Miss Universe, and on it goes.  There was that Wrestling episode somebody just brought up a few posts ago.  I was extremely out of my element watching that one, but hey, PR has always reached to different avenues when finding ideas for challenges.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Regarding Wendy, her insistence on showcasing her newly purchased boobs and ass--and being mad about pants because she wanted to show off her legs--should Kristina have designed a bikini? I thought the standard advice was to choose one attribute -- legs OR boobs (or ass, I guess) -- or risk looking cheap. 

I think looking cheap was the point of the challenge. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2022 at 10:42 PM, buttersister said:

OMG, there's a reason I don't watch the trash that is RH of anywhere. Somebody play the tape back of lying-ass "Dr." Wendy. What a bitch--and I'm not rooting for Kristina.

Didn't Shantell get the Christian Save? And WTF does Nina have against Chastity? We've seen most of these dresses before (including LuAnn's, circa early 2000s).

This was hard to watch. All the cheering was ludicrous. Reality "stars"--ugh. Next week looks good.

That is Wendy in a nutshell. I wish they hadn't used her. Got caught lying just like on the show.

• Love 2

I know the housewives except for Gina as I've only seen a handful of episodes of OC for the last 3-4 years, so I wasn't familiar. 

Maybe because I am a fan, but I wasn't bothered that they chose these women for the "working with clients" episode. I mean, back in its heyday I vividly remember they had WWE wrestlers for a challenge, and didn't Christian Siriano participate on that particular episode? I think he was even at the top.  If anything isn't considered fashion, it was that challenge. 

While I agree what Wendy was disingenuous at best, Kristina's behavior was definitely unprofessional and if I was the CFDA I would not want to mentor someone like that, I picked her for a front-runner early in the season but after watching that display I would not give her the win.    

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, charliesan said:

I know the housewives except for Gina as I've only seen a handful of episodes of OC for the last 3-4 years, so I wasn't familiar. 

Maybe because I am a fan, but I wasn't bothered that they chose these women for the "working with clients" episode. I mean, back in its heyday I vividly remember they had WWE wrestlers for a challenge, and didn't Christian Siriano participate on that particular episode? I think he was even at the top.  If anything isn't considered fashion, it was that challenge. 

While I agree what Wendy was disingenuous at best, Kristina's behavior was definitely unprofessional and if I was the CFDA I would not want to mentor someone like that, I picked her for a front-runner early in the season but after watching that display I would not give her the win.    

The thing is that challenge was something to wear in the ring and these women were clearly characters. Perhaps a parallel can be drawn Aftershow=Wrestling ring and Housewife=wrestling persona but I am sorry the housewives just came across as more sad and desperate. Moreover Just like the models back then the wrestlers pulled off the clothes. The  designers have an easier time with s=certain ages and body types

• Love 3
On 1/8/2022 at 2:50 PM, pasdetrois said:

Karen's dress can be found in any department store. And she walked like a linebacker into the designers' workroom on the second day.

I thought about Tina Turner every time I saw her walking on the show. 

20 hours ago, millennium said:

This is the first time I can recall when Project Runway became subservient to another show.

Maybe not another show, but did you watch the Lifetime years? Episodes sponsored by those titans of fashion: JC Penney and Dixie Cups........

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, staphdude said:

Moreover Just like the models back then the wrestlers pulled off the clothes. The  designers have an easier time with s=certain ages and body types

Agree on the body types regarding that particular challenge, but at the same time these past seasons they've included full-figured models, so every challenge the designers have to mix it up. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the designers who have thin models usually fare better than the ones who have to design for full figured.  In this episode I thought Bones had a clear disadvantage with Shannon, and taking into account that the challenge was to work with a client and to make her happy, I thought he did the best. 

While I did like Shantall's look, she had a clear advantage as LuAnn has a more similar body type as a regular model AND she used to work in that profession, I would've liked this addressed with the judges. Now, if instead of LuAnn they had picked Ramona then that would've been another story. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I thought about Tina Turner every time I saw her walking on the show.

was that the black sequined dress with the one-shoulder detail? If so, what  I thought about that dress was "man that's totally boring."

• Love 1
On 1/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Consider this exchange:

Andy:  Did Wendy tell you she didn't want to wear pants?
Kristina:  No.
Wendy:  I remember it differently, but that's ok.

"I remember it differently" is the same as "Yes I did," and from everything we saw, no she didn't. That's where I'm seeing the lie.

That is classic Wendy right there. When will she learn she is being taped and will be caught in a lie?

• Love 4
On 1/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, staphdude said:

I don’t know why Wendy was drawing attention to her “new” boobs. Nothing amazing or show worthy there….thank god Kristina put a lot of structure in the garment.

That was Wendy's story line this season. Calling attention to Happy and Ness.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, Mahfouz said:

<snip>
I am glad Chasity apologized for shrieking in Mood but man was that cringey to watch. 
<snip>

I give her exactly zero credit for that apology.  Her apology was expressed to a fellow designer; what does that accomplish?  She was not the aggrieved party so it meant nothing.

• Love 6

I don't see how a gown would emphasize one's rear end (does that have a name too? or...two names?).  A clinging, body-skimming dress, sure, but gowns generally flow.  So that was misguiding as well.  (Don't like Kristina really, but hate anything that even hints of gaslighting, so...).

When Aaron stands on the runway with his hands in his pockets, his jacket shrugs up in the back and makes it look like he's turtling his neck into his clothes in a self-effacing manner.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I don't see how a gown would emphasize one's rear end (does that have a name too? or...two names?).  A clinging, body-skimming dress, sure, but gowns generally flow.  So that was misguiding as well.  (Don't like Kristina really, but hate anything that even hints of gaslighting, so...).

When Aaron stands on the runway with his hands in his pockets, his jacket shrugs up in the back and makes it look like he's turtling his neck into his clothes in a self-effacing manner.  

Butt and Cheek.

• LOL 5
On 1/6/2022 at 7:42 PM, buttersister said:

OMG, there's a reason I don't watch the trash that is RH of anywhere. Somebody play the tape back of lying-ass "Dr." Wendy. What a bitch--and I'm not rooting for Kristina.

Didn't Shantell get the Christian Save? And WTF does Nina have against Chastity? We've seen most of these dresses before (including LuAnn's, circa early 2000s).

This was hard to watch. All the cheering was ludicrous. Reality "stars"--ugh. Next week looks good.

I haven’t even been able to watch this episode because the “housewives” give me a royal pain. All those distorted plastic faces that all look alike, and those nasty, nasty personalities. I am trying to gear up to sit through it. 

• Love 1

and "Dr. Wendy." I'm not a watcher, but I assume she uses that handle, since everyone was calling her that? I'm a PhD as well, (retired, and spent my career in industry) and I sure as hell don't expect ANYONE to call me Dr. in real life. Does she work as a college professor? If not, then drop the Dr. PLEASE.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

and "Dr. Wendy." I'm not a watcher, but I assume she uses that handle, since everyone was calling her that? I'm a PhD as well, (retired, and spent my career in industry) and I sure as hell don't expect ANYONE to call me Dr. in real life. Does she work as a college professor? If not, then drop the Dr. PLEASE.

On the show, she's just Wendy. She was an associate professor at Johns Hopkins, but I don't know if she's still there, or if she chucked it for the sketchy candle business. She doesn't mention her professorship on the show much anymore (it was more prevalent in her first season).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, Jobiska said:

It's in the cut of the dress so that it is more narrow at the thighs and knees.  If you are familiar with trumpet or mermaid bridal gowns, you'll know how they emphasize the butt.  The narrower it is at the thigh and knees, the more the butt is emphasized.

image.png.74149a5c777bbc04bf220986f783baa3.png

Here's Sofia Vergara in a mermaid gown.

image.png.92806ad75e9e133dce0365e4d5698fdd.pngimage.png.d2f470fae3ac4f9de4d869f756a57a28.png

That type of cut is why flared jeans were so popular 15 years ago.  It flatters your butt, and the flare balances out the silhouette.

Edited by izabella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, hula-la said:

I’m aging myself, but you just made me think of the book Scruples. I always thought of it as a snatched waist, as in it’s been “snatched” in.

I LOVED that book. I’m now longing for a re-read!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/13/2022 at 4:20 PM, Jobiska said:

Thank you! I did not know how to verbalize what I was seeing.

I kept leaning towards Todd Chrisley and it wasn't quite right. 

18 hours ago, izabella said:

It's in the cut of the dress so that it is more narrow at the thighs and knees.  If you are familiar with trumpet or mermaid bridal gowns, you'll know how they emphasize the butt.  The narrower it is at the thigh and knees, the more the butt is emphasized.

None of which matters for a Housewives reunion, where you're seated the entire time, except for when somebody jumps up to put her finger in someone else's face, or gets up to go hug a weeping fellow castmember.

But that's almost never taken into account in what they choose to wear.  Maybe they should do a combo challenge--make the real housewives "walk" the runway in a wheelchair.  And one they have to push, to weed out dresses that will flash breasts if the wearer isn't sitting ramrod straight. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

On the show, she's just Wendy. She was an associate professor at Johns Hopkins, but I don't know if she's still there, or if she chucked it for the sketchy candle business. She doesn't mention her professorship on the show much anymore (it was more prevalent in her first season).

She really wasn’t just Wendy in her first season. She always reminded everyone that she has 4 degrees, in her 2nd season she was focused on Happy and Ness.

I have a PhD but I don’t know how many people in my non-professional life actually know that.

• Love 2