Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: The Challenger

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My Great Aunt E (who died this October) forgot what "french toast" was in 2015, she was very embarrassed and asked me quietly to explain. I knew then it was only going to get worse.

This is horrid decease to witness, but I do think Mandy Moore has the acting chops to give it the portrayal full of of dignity and nuance. Her work as "elderly Rebecca" is something I wouldnt have expected from her 10yrs ago, although I was impressed with her work in Saved.

In the USA many children get individual desks in kindergarten, or the desks are arranged in groups of 4-6.  I am 5yrs younger than the Big Three and I had that in Chicago.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Is she going to be the "Kevin" of Randall's three girls?

So there's no play space for kids?  We had "work," (i.e. tracing numbers/letters and such) but I think we had bins where we kept our things.  I don't remember.  Did you guys have assigned seating?  It's so weird to see that in kindergarten rooms.  I recall our classroom being bigger than the older kids' rooms, but part of the school I went to had open classroom arrangements (basically a huge open space where classrooms were separated by dividers or cubbies/shelves...or both.....I think that was one of the reasons why my parents transferred me to a Catholic school for Grade 1). 

Edited by PRgal
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

So there's no play space for kids?  We had "work," (i.e. tracing numbers/letters and such) but I think we had bins where we kept our things.  I don't remember.  Did you guys have assigned seating?  It's so weird to see that in kindergarten rooms.  I recall our classroom being bigger than the older kids' rooms, but part of the school I went to had open classroom arrangements (basically a huge open space where classrooms were separated by dividers or cubbies/shelves...or both.....I think that was one of the reasons why my parents transferred me to a Catholic school for Grade 1). 

Taking this to Small Talk.

Barring a big winning lottery ticket or a super-rich new bride, Kevin's flash-forward home tells us he's doing fine in the future financially. So either Bitter Turd is correct and Kevin becomes a billionaire from the reboot or he cashes in on something else. Kevin may have 99 problems but finances won't be one of them.

I wasn't sure which was a bigger stretch, the speech by Kate's colleague to his about-to-be-ex-significant other or anything else that happened in this series, ever. Was that supposed to explain he and future Kate? 

Kate is some kind of pscyho for standing there listening to that terrible breakup scene and then immediately walking in to the office. 

But then again, he did call her in for an "emergency," that turned out to be a birthday song for her. So maybe she felt she had to talk to him right away. The whole scenario just felt off, like nothing real human beings would do.

15 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Barring a big winning lottery ticket or a super-rich new bride, Kevin's flash-forward home tells us he's doing fine in the future financially. So either Bitter Turd is correct and Kevin becomes a billionaire from the reboot or he cashes in on something else. Kevin may have 99 problems but finances won't be one of them.

Wasn't there a hint in the final episode of last season that he is involved with a construction company called Big Three Homes?  Maybe he quits show biz to work with his hands, Michael Schoeffling style.

Edited by One Imaginary Girl
6 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

Wasn't there a hint in the final episode of last season that he is involved with a construction company called Big Three Homes?  Maybe he quits show biz to work with his hands, Michael Schoeffling style.

Yep.

In the flash-forward at the end of the episode, we see a note card that reads "Big Three Homes: A Pearson Family Construction Company." Make of that clue what you will.

45 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Is she going to be the "Kevin" of Randall's three girls?

The sad thing is that Kevin even warned Randall about that, he basically told Randall that all of his family drama was leaving Annie lost in the shuffle, and that was even before they adopted Deja, and that she would end up feeling lonely in her own family like he did. But unfortunately that was when Kevin was dealing with the worst of his drug addiction and Randall was at his most smug, so he didn't listen. 

Well, of course Randall decided to ditch his own birthday with his family to go Pearson-fy at the court house with the robber. And of course the robber had a sob story that made Randall pay his bail.

C'mon, TIU. Randall's final season storyline might be rehabilitating the guy who broke into his house? I'd really rather have him just have a family storyline. We REALLY don't need Randall to save this guy, really! He had such growth last season, too.

So, Kevin's story seems to be trying to find his new path, with how things with Madison are on somewhat shaky ground and him feeling lost enough to take the job as the Manny's Daddy. We know somewhat what he will do in the future, except we don't know who his future wife will be, so either they'll have to introduced another love interest OR re-establish a relationship with one of his past love interests, Madison included. I didn't love Kevin's jealousy with Madison and Book Club Guy, so hopefully that's over and done with.

Watching Kate/Toby's relationship slowly unravel, especially knowing what we do from last season's finale, is not gonna be fun to watch. Especially with them already giving British Asshole a sob story ("traumatic past" of course equals Kate feeling sympathetic and washing away all of his past comments because..."SOB STORY!"). On the plus side, their kids are super cute, as are Kevin's twins. 

But the hardest story to watch is Rebecca's. I do like how they handled her dementia storyline, trying to remember that one word and not succeeding until the end, and how that frustrated her.

The flashback stuff was alright. More filler than anything, which is how most of the Kid Flashbacks go nowadays. They haven't been able to do a lot with the flashbacks the past couple of years that make it new or interesting.

I know it's wishful thinking and the writers of the show will never go there, but I would love to find out that the Oscar and other awards shown in future Kevin's house belonged to his yet to be named wife.  Have Kevin give up acting to start his construction company and have him meet a woman working in the business be it director, writer, or actress if they must.  That feels like a better twist then what we are probably going to get--Kevin gets his dream role, he gets rewarded for it, and he settles down with either Sophie or Madison.

9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

What I loved was worried little Kevin crawling in bed with little Kate.  They are so sweet together at every age.

This is the one thing I can positively say about this show. The child actors (save for teenage Kevin) who portray Kevin are spot on.

Regarding The Manny - I just read Kirk Cameron’s net worth is 10 million so it’s possible to be one sitcom and nothing else and still be ok. 

34 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Aww, Michael Schoeffling. The reversed Harrison Ford.

7 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

I just read Kirk Cameron’s net worth is 10 million so it’s possible to be one sitcom and nothing else and still be ok. 

Well, his current shows and endless speaking engagements have more to do with that than Growing Pains.

9 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

. The book club guy seemed like a dolt. 

I thought he was a perfect match for her. IRL the thirsty girls with issues do not get the hunky actors even when they get knocked up.

TBH there’s a quote upthread about nothing in Kate’s storyline being “real.” Yes, yes, yes. 

3 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Well, his current shows and endless speaking engagements have more to do with that than Growing Pains.

current show? Whoa. Did not know. Even the article I read referred to him and Chelsea Noble as only being on Growing Pains. The speaking engagements I understand because I’ve heard he’s undergone a transformation . 

4 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

current show? Whoa. Did not know. Even the article I read referred to him and Chelsea Noble as only being on Growing Pains. The speaking engagements I understand because I’ve heard he’s undergone a transformation . 

He doesn't do much acting anymore, but he has programs going on where he is just himself.

2 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Three actors come to mind who believed they should be paid forever for that one week they worked: Jerry Seinfeld, Brad Garret and David Schwimmer. The concept of residuals, so odd to me. Because I worked in a factory for a WHOLE week years ago.... Why am I not still getting paid for my contribution? SMH. 

But if the factory is still making tons of money off that one week you worked, because of the work that YOU did specifically, don't you think you should get some of that money?

19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know it's wishful thinking and the writers of the show will never go there, but I would love to find out that the Oscar and other awards shown in future Kevin's house belonged to his yet to be named wife.  Have Kevin give up acting to start his construction company and have him meet a woman working in the business be it director, writer, or actress if they must.  That feels like a better twist then what we are probably going to get--Kevin gets his dream role, he gets rewarded for it, and he settles down with either Sophie or Madison.

I don’t remember from the big flash forward, but was there an Emmy?  Maybe the construction business Kevin starts led to a reality show for HGTV/DIY/Discovery+ or similar thing…..haha

Maybe the construction business Kevin starts led to a reality show for HGTV/DIY/Discovery+ or similar thing…..haha

A fair number of those HGTV stars are former actors. For instance the Property Brothers who must make bank with their bazillion shows. Maybe his awards are for Set Design. 

Or maybe the Book Nerds come up with a book that Nicky and Kevin turn into the next "Good Will Hunting".

18 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Finally, silly Beth, you didn't need to get Randall a present for his birthday.  He got the present he likes best, i.e. ditching his family to spend time trying to save a complete stranger!  I suppose Beth should just be happy Randall did not bring him home to live with them.  

I'm thinking that this is Randall's genetic legacy of his mother's addiction -- he might not be hooked on any drugs, but he appears to be hooked on the endorphin rush he gets from being a savior.  

Now that I've had time to think about it, presenting Randall as someone who's always been an empath and focused on helping people is a huge retcon. The show started with him working on Wall Street (one of the most selfish jobs anyone can have) and telling anyone who'll listen how much his car cost. It wasn't until William died and his employer sent him a basket of pears (to which he's allergic) that he had an identity crisis and decided to quit finance. All of his "altruistic" moves after that - buying William's apartment building, adopting Deja, running for office - came out of a desire to find meaning in his own life rather than genuine concern for others.

8 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Count me in as not getting the Kate/a-hole British guy thing. How does one watch him treat that ex-girlfriend that way and think, hmmm, yeah, gotta get me some of that. I know we saw Toby alive and well in the flash forward. I hope he is with someone who deserves him

I don't get the Phillip/Kate dynamic either, knowing where the flash forward appears to be taking us.  However, she does seem to be attracted to assholes (Mark).

I just hope that if the flash forward is what it appears to be, that Kate and Toby just grow apart, and that dynamic occurs because Toby is working in San Francisco.  I hope he isn't demonized.  Toby has his faults, but he's not a bad guy.

I understand Kevin wanting to stay close by to co-parent the twins, but I do think the garage was a little too close for everyone’s comfort. He could purchase a home nearby, it will take a while for he and Madison to find their groove as co-parents/friends. But I think they will eventually get there. Playing the Dad on a reboot of “The Manny” might be good for him for a few years, no it’s not exactly what he wanted to be doing, but he will get to spend most of his time in LA & movie projects might still happen. 

“The man is giving me a friggin’ headache.”- I loved that line from Rebecca. 

Shallow observation- Does Sterling K Brown/Randall look thinner to anyone else? Not that he had excess body fat to lose but he looks slimmer to me, or they are putting him in more form fitting pants? 

The little girl they have playing kindergarten Kate looks so much like Chrissy Metz, the casting directors did a good job. 

My friend went through this with her FIL and she said the same thing. The less lucid he was, the happier he was because he didn’t know what he didn’t know. It was incredibly hard on the rest of them though, obviously, and it went on for so long.

I once read a theory that Alzheimer’s patients often live a long time because they have nothing to think about, nothing to worry about, ergo - no stress. It’s kind of a bitter irony. And not all of them end up in the “ignorance is bliss” category. Some get cranky and moody and mean because they think the caregiver is lying to them, or keeping people away, or won’t let them do things. It’s a terrible illness, and it’s interesting to see a network show take it on.

21 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I guess they’re going to pretend COVID no longer exists

Of course. Who would ever think it’s realistic that a full two years later, COVID is still going on?

(…)

**sob**

Finally 

I don't think I've ever craved a show so much, lol. 😆

Some thoughts: 

I didn't like the child actress they chose for young Rebecca, looked nothing like Mandy Moore or like the previous child actress who was perfect. The young Tim Matheson look-alike was great though. 

So,  we all saw the double take Kate's boss gave her. 

Wonder what grand thing Randall pursues (the newspaper article in last season's finale), definitely something with helping people.

Nice seeing the flow from the first episode to now, well done! Gosh seems like yesterday.

Lots of teasing with Madison and Kevin, hmmm.

The Challenger Explosion, so hard. I was 12 and we weren't watching it. I was in music class and the other 5th grade teacher came in and threw his brief case on the table and said, "Shuttle blew up with the teacher, I was in the running to go up." You never forget stuff like that. 

I'm looking forward to this season! Sally next week! Oh and I'm sure Malik is Deja's baby daddy. 

Still fast forwarding everything that has to do with Jack and Rebecca in the past. I never want to see Milo again. Not that I dislike him, but I think him STILL being in the show after his death in the first season is beating a dead horse.

When Randall said he wanted to look the thief in the eye and tell him how he had made him feel I was like "Such a Randall-y thing to do, lecture the thief and make him regret what he did".

I loved Beth's "door one and door two" scene. She is breathtaking. I would love to have her as a friend.

I am very interested to see what happens with Kate and Toby. I think this storyline is the only one that I actually still care about.

The scene with Kate's boss breaking up with this stunning woman because she is boring wants to show us that he is bored of beautiful women that's why he chooses Kate later on? I find this a little insulting to be honest. Anyone else took it like that or am I too sensitive?

On 1/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, Marley said:

What a jerk that Toby is..setting up a nice afternoon for Kate then surprising her later.That bitch is never happy.

Right? My husband after 12 years has no idea when my birthday is. Last summer he came to me a month earlier (June 30 and not July 30) to wish me happy birthday because he thought that was my birthday. I still mock him about that. :P

Edited by himela
On 1/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I forgot the show was coming back. 

Kate & Kevin’s relationship has been a highlight of this show. 

That was sad. Unless you knew  a family that lost a parent, which can happen more than once in some neighborhoods, schools, it's a scary thing to think about. A reality but very scary for a kid. Many like myself, would hear, "Oh I'm healthy, I'll be okay" from parents, but really no one is that safe. I thought he was the most realistic.

Kevin's vulnerability has always been his strong point, when he shines. Whether, this scene, when he told his parents he "loved Sophie" and couldn't send her to play with Kate, when he talked to Randall's kids about himself and his painting, all high points I feel. When he acted like a jerk, another part of his personality, not as appealing. ; ) 

His scenes with Nicky at trailer were great too, another vulnerability which bonded them.

18 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Did I dream the opening sequence of Kevin with two hot women fawning over him? If not, where is the jealousy over Madison coming from? And if so, wow, I may need help. :O

That scene was from 5 years before on their 36th birthday.

21 minutes ago, himela said:

That scene was from 5 years before on their 36th birthday.

Kevin has always had little problem in that area. I've seen many men like him, it's not the "love" they feel, it's the lack of attention. It's their identity. Women always fawned, the one who doesn't, they think they feel love but it's the desire to change it. Justin Hartley talked in one interview on how his character never loved Madison, if you remember he regretted it, wanted to forget it and move on. No disrespect to her, but if she wasn't there that day, it wouldn't have happened. He slept with Cassidy too and another woman in a close period that year. He was glad they showed that making a family isn't always doable and his kids will have many dysfunctional relatives and be fine like the rest of us. They really have nothing in common but the twins and that was from an encounter that he should have planned for. Saying she might not get pregnant is not an excuse, plus I doubt he asked or cared. I can see them coparenting well in the future but please have him get his own place, he has money and the garage? Just dumb.

Justin said recently when speaking with Extra, it was “brave” of Madison to break up with Kevin because they both deserved to end up with someone they loved. Then when asked whether Kevin will find love in season 6 of This Is Us, Hartley said, “I hope so.”

Edited by debraran
5 minutes ago, debraran said:

Kevin has always had little problem in that area. I've seen many men like him, it's not the "love" they feel, it's the lack of attention. It's their identity.

Kevin grew up always being the cute one who wins everything just by his looks so now as an adult he is trying to cover his insecurities by doing things he knows he is good at. I think this is a human behavior, we all do it. WE are all trying to feel good by promoting something we are good at.

2 hours ago, himela said:

The scene with Kate's boss breaking up with this stunning woman because she is boring wants to show us that he is bored of beautiful women that's why he chooses Kate later on? I find this a little insulting to be honest. Anyone else took it like that or am I too sensitive?

I didn’t take it like that. I took it that he acknowledges the woman is beautiful and intelligent but he isn’t entertained by her and doesn’t enjoy her company in a dating aspect.

Just because someone is good looking and intelligent doesn’t mean they are going to vibe with everyone they date.(of course we all know that I’m just saying) He was saying that he’s not going to keep dating someone he’s not into just because she’s beautiful. 

I could be wrong but I wasn’t appalled by the scene. Likely he had already told her he wasn’t interested in seeing her any more and she wanted to know “why”- so she approached him again at work (did she work there? I didn’t follow)

Unless someone is seriously committed (like engagement or marriage) I don’t really think “why” matters, if they don’t want to date you any more, and tell you directly and politely, I would hold onto my dignity and complain to my friends. The “why” is irrelevant. 

Edited to add- but I do wonder how he and Kate get together. Her “meet cute” with Toby was way better. 

2 hours ago, himela said:

Still fast forwarding everything that has to do with Jack and Rebecca in the past. I never want to see Milo again. Not that I dislike him, but I think him STILL being in the show after his death in the first season is beating a dead horse.

When Randall said he wanted to look the thief in the eye and tell him how he had made him feel I was like "Such a Randall-y thing to do, lecture the thief and make him regret what he did".

I loved Beth's "door one and door two" scene. She is breathtaking. I would love to have her as a friend.

I am very interested to see what happens with Kate and Toby. I think this storyline is the only one that I actually still care about.

My husband who doesn't watch the show even came in the room while I was watching it and was like, "this guy is still on the show? What is the point of killing him off if they are going to keep him around this much." I was laughing and totally agreed with him.

I feel that they are really stretching to find scenes for Milo to be in. It all just seems so repetitive and useless. They show us how Jack is such a great husband and dad. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I guess they are going to get into the Rebecca and Miguel story soon as we don't have that much time left. That's something that I'd much rather watch than anymore flashbacks of Jack.

Of course Kate isn’t satisfied by Toby’s incredibly thoughtful gesture of arranging for her to have an entire afternoon to herself and sending a massage therapist TO THE HOUSE. Seems like a pretty grand gesture to me.

Philip’s girlfriend was STUN.NING! He was unnecessarily cruel. Still can’t imagine how he and Kate end up together.

I just don’t care about Nicky’s storyline at all. I find his presence on the show grating — he’s such a Debbie Downer.

Kevin’s hella rich — couldn’t he buy his own place in like 5 seconds?

I don’t get why Rebecca was worried about Kevin after the Challenger explosion. Even if he wasn’t “protecting himself” as Jack said, and truly thought that what he saw wasn’t real — that seems like a pretty reasonable thought for a 5-6 year old. Especially considering that he watched it on tv, which is probably usually 99.9% fictional content when he watches it.

I’m not old enough to remember the Challenger explosion, but I wondered if it would have the same effect today as it did then, given that with today’s news cycle we’re almost constantly bombarded with tragic stories. (Not that the Challenger wasn’t horrific.)

Oh, Randall. Just choose door Beth. Always choose door Beth.

I was born, raised and still live about 15 miles from Kennedy Space Center. I was a teen when Challenger happened and watched it explode live (not on tv). To this day any time I see it replayed it brings me to tears. 

Onto the show. Good to know Randall is as sanctimonious as ever, why the goddess that is Beth puts up with him remains the biggest mystery ever portrayed on television. I don’t care about Deja AT ALL and am upset they are goi g to waste our time in the final season on her.   
Kate is just the worst, I hope the actress is saving her money because work for her after this will drill down to nothing. There is nothing she relays on camera that makes her so interesting that all these men are attracted to her (and no I’m not referring to her weight), she’s just blah. Don’t get it at all.

Kevin, well he’s just so pretty that it distracts me. His story is dumb, someone with his money living in a garage just stretches credibility.

Mandy Moore is hitting it out of the park and is one of the only reasons I’m still watching.

They have really just worn out the need for Milo. I’m glad this show is ending, it started out so good and has just delved into nothing special. 

17 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I don't disagree with that, but I also don't think that excludes the fact that he loves Madison.  It's not an "either/or " scenario in my mind.  Kevin wants what Jack and Rebecca had in terms of family structure, Madison does seem to have more n common with Book Club Guy, AND YET Kevin is also realizing that he loves Madison and will have to work to win her over.  All of these things can be true at once.

yes to this.  I think he is either falling in love or realizing he already was.  I really hope they end up together.  As I've said MANY times on this forum, I really HATE Kevin/Sophie... for many reasons.  I hate the "fell-in-love-with-my-one-true-soulmate-at-age-ten and no one else will ever do" aspect.  I don't feel like Kevin and adult Sophie have any chemistry other than residual feelings from childhood.  They have tried multiple times to have a relationship and it hasn't worked.  I think the Madison thing feels more organic; they had a one night stand that resulted in pregnancy; became friends &co-parents; and now (hopefully) falling in love.  I wish I could FF to find out if he ends up with Sophie, because if he does, I'd probably quit watching now. #TeamMadison

I remember the Challenger explosion quite well.  I was 15 and we were supposed to watch it  in class but there was delay.  So I was in my lunch period and on the way back to my next period, a classmate told us the Challenger blew up.  We thought he was making a bad joke, but teacher said it was true and then let us watch the news/aftermath.  I remember the shock and horror, for several reasons: 1) shuttle launches had become routine. 2) Civilian going into space; my dad thought that was awesome and said he would love to do it; I thought it was scary.  And then the explosion. So there was a little "what if that had been my dad?" 3) One of the astronauts, Ron McNair, was from a town just about 45 minutes away from mine and the entire state was so proud of him going up in space.  I remember a similar sick and horrible feeling in 2003 when the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated upon reentry. 

The Rebecca storyline is gonna be hard.  I've had 3 female family members suffer from some sort of age-related dementia, so not really excited about watching this - or thinking about how that may be my future. 

3 minutes ago, sadie said:

Kate is just the worst, I hope the actress is saving her money because work for her after this will drill down to nothing. There is nothing she relays on camera that makes her so interesting that all these men are attracted to her (and no I’m not referring to her weight), she’s just blah. Don’t get it at all.

I don't see Chrissy Metz as a bad actress.  There's only so much an actor can do with bad writing.  And the writing for Kate has been consistently bad.  The writers flat out do not know what to do with Kate after their weight loss storyline back in season one was DOA.  Chrissy is doing her best with subpar material and subpar direction.  When she is given good material and better direction, she does shine.  

57 minutes ago, sadie said:

They have really just worn out the need for Milo.

When he gave Rebecca the smug look after Kate mentioned the goldfish, I decided Milo is needed to remind us of where Randall got his sanctimony.  

52 minutes ago, AzraeltheCat said:

I think he is either falling in love or realizing he already was.  I really hope they end up together.  As I've said MANY times on this forum, I really HATE Kevin/Sophie... for many reasons.  I hate the "fell-in-love-with-my-one-true-soulmate-at-age-ten and no one else will ever do" aspect.  I don't feel like Kevin and adult Sophie have any chemistry other than residual feelings from childhood.  They have tried multiple times to have a relationship and it hasn't worked.  I think the Madison thing feels more organic; they had a one night stand that resulted in pregnancy; became friends &co-parents; and now (hopefully) falling in love.  I wish I could FF to find out if he ends up with Sophie, because if he does, I'd probably quit watching now. #TeamMadison

YES!!  Can I please sit at your table?!?

I lived near Johnson Space Center, and my dad worked for NASA since Gemini or Apollo.  I was a senior in government class when we heard rumblings in the hallway as class was about to begin.  Luckily we had a television in our classroom that we immediately turned on.  Our teacher tried to make it class as usual, but realized we were not going to discuss anything by this.  I still remember my dad coming home that night.  It was a dark day that I won’t forget.

1 hour ago, AzraeltheCat said:

As I've said MANY times on this forum, I really HATE Kevin/Sophie... for many reasons. 

I don't hate Kevin/Sophie, but I think their ship has sailed.  They married young, life happened, and they divorced.  That chain of events has been repeated for many in Kevin's generation and even in Jack and Rebecca's generation. It just didn't happen to Jack and Rebecca,

Every marriage doesn't have to be a "great love story," and Kevin and Sophie aren't on bad terms. They seem to still care for each other as human beings and wish each other well. However, they've both moved on, and I think all of that is great.

Madison isn't Rebecca.  I don't think she's Kevin's "great love," but I also don't think that "great love" is the only love needed for a successful marriage.

Tuesday's episode made me want to check if Little Golden Books still existed.  Looks like they still do, but it's almost NOTHING like the ones we had when we were kids (by "we," I mean people the Big 3's age...Xennials).  Lots of newer characters.  At the same time, there are biographies made for little kids, including RBG and Betty White!

50 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I don't hate Kevin/Sophie, but I think their ship has sailed.  They married young, life happened, and they divorced.  That chain of events has been repeated for many in Kevin's generation and even in Jack and Rebecca's generation. It just didn't happen to Jack and Rebecca,

Every marriage doesn't have to be a "great love story," and Kevin and Sophie aren't on bad terms. They seem to still care for each other as human beings and wish each other well. However, they've both moved on, and I think all of that is great.

Madison isn't Rebecca.  I don't think she's Kevin's "great love," but I also don't think that "great love" is the only love needed for a successful marriage.

I agree with the Kevin/Sophie relationship. Their ship sailed and I think part of the problem was that Sophie as an adult was never really on the show much. We didn't get a chance to get to know or care about her. She was on a couple episodes here and there but the focus was more on Kevin's alcoholism rather than Sophie as a character. At this point, I think the show is going to have him end up with Madison and realize that their story is just different than Jack and Rebecca's and that's ok. It seems like they are showing us their friendship building and getting to know each other and he is going to fall in love with her. I think at this point the big build-up will be, who does Kevin end up with? And I think it is going to be Madison.

If I were the writer or director, I would have had Rebecca kind of quietly and forlornly say, "...caboose" at the dinner table instead of shouting it. The others still would react quizzically because it came out of nowhere, but you would have Rebecca sad at the realization of what is happening to her instead of explosively frustrated.

Maybe they shot it both ways and went with the more dramatic over the soft sadness.

Aaaaand we're back...

I don't think Kate's boss would have been having that conversation with the door wide open.

Those were suspiciously perceptive school children.  I've read more than once that there were kids (and teachers) in classrooms across the country who continued to cheer after the explosion because they didn't realize that there had been a problem.

The Big Three were suspiciously empathetic for their age, too (well, two of them were.  Kevin's reaction was about right for him).  OTOH they're Pearsons, so what else would you expect.  When it was a done deal that Randall was going to go to the courthouse, I said to my GF, "How much do you wanna bet that he ends up adopting him?"  Didn't miss it by much.  He's angling for Sainthood, that one.  Just like Jack.

I sympathized with Rebecca and I guess the point was that she was afraid/brave/determined/whatever to remember on her own, but I'd have given it about 60 seconds and then been on the Google machine looking up the name of the last car in a train instead of ruining the day for myself.

Edited by Lone Wolf
6 hours ago, himela said:

I didn't understand the need for it. Oh wow, he realized he had nothing in common with someone, so he broke up with her. Is that supposed to make him really attractive to Kate?

Also, "an emergency at the school" to get her there for that "birthday" song that had nothing to do with a birthday? IRL the kids would have been told that Kate was not working on her birthday, so they should sing her the song the day before. Strained incredulity that they learned that song without her knowing.  (And is this a school for musically-talented blind children, rather than just a school for blind children? Because if the latter, it's unrealistic that all of the kids have beautiful singing voices.)

3 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

I don’t get why Rebecca was worried about Kevin after the Challenger explosion. Even if he wasn’t “protecting himself” as Jack said, and truly thought that what he saw wasn’t real — that seems like a pretty reasonable thought for a 5-6 year old. Especially considering that he watched it on tv, which is probably usually 99.9% fictional content when he watches it.

They should have been thrilled that the explosion did not upset him! Add me to those who think that kindergartners would not really process the event. Kids that young have pets die and don't care. (My grandmother died when I was in kindergarten, and my only thought was that we wouldn't visit her anymore. Challenger involved people these kids did not know.)

So Kevin bought just a 2-bedroom house for him and Maddie to raise the twins? I can't believe there wasn't a spare room for him to sleep in rather than move out to the garage.

My experience with Alzheimer's is that patients more often would forget what a caboose is rather than what the word for the last car on the train is. The latter is regular old age memory loss. Alzheimer's is more confusion about the world than forgetfulness.

I sensed that Kate thought that a birthday spent WITH her children was a treat rather than a day off from them, and that Toby should have known that. (While for Randall, spending his birthday with family was the last thing he wanted to do.) Maybe that's foreshadowing on Toby not wanting to spend as much time with the kids as she does (remember the seen at the park with Maddie?).

20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

"How much do you wanna bet that he ends up adopting him?"

I said the same thing!

20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I'd have given it about 60 seconds and then been on the Google machine looking up the name of the last car in a train instead of ruining the day for myself.

Yep. I'm only in my 50s and frequently can't think of a word. It's normal aging. I just start going through synonyms. Rebecca could have solved her problem even quicker since she just needed to search "last car on train." Seemed a bit unrealistic that she would frustrate herself so much.

7 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

So Kevin bought just a 2-bedroom house for him and Maddie to raise the twins? I can't believe there wasn't a spare room for him to sleep in rather than move out to the garage.

It's Madison's house from before they hooked up.  Kevin moved in there sometime in 2020 while Covid was raging because he wanted to be in the same Covid bubble with her.  

37 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

If I were the writer or director, I would have had Rebecca kind of quietly and forlornly say, "...caboose" at the dinner table instead of shouting it. The others still would react quizzically because it came out of nowhere, but you would have Rebecca sad at the realization of what is happening to her instead of explosively frustrated.

Actually, I'm glad that DIDN'T happen.  There are differences between chronic illness and disability, but too often, the expectation is that disabled people just take whatever life hands them without complaint, and if we dare have a public moment where we think things aren't so great, then we aren't being "good disabled people."  I'd imagine that people with chronic illness (which I don't have) feel much the same way. Rebecca was at a family birthday party, and she's upset that she can't remember caboose.  I'm glad she was given the right to be loudly ticked off,  Sorry, but the kids and other adults can just learn to deal.

15 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Yep. I'm only in my 50s and frequently can't think of a word. It's normal aging. I just start going through synonyms. Rebecca could have solved her problem even quicker since she just needed to search "last car on train." Seemed a bit unrealistic that she would frustrate herself so much.

Rebecca isn't having a normal symptom of aging.  It's not necessarily a case where Rebecca will know the word if she sees or hears it.  Indeed, she may go straight to Google, see the word "caboose" and have no idea it is the word for which she is searching.   

14 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Actually, I'm glad that DIDN'T happen.  There are differences between chronic illness and disability, but too often, the expectation is that disabled people just take whatever life hands them without complaint, and if we dare have a public moment where we think things aren't so great, then we aren't being "good disabled people."  I'd imagine that people with chronic illness (which I don't have) feel much the same way. Rebecca was at a family birthday party, and she's upset that she can't remember caboose.  I'm glad she was given the right to be loudly ticked off,  Sorry, but the kids and other adults can just learn to deal.

I see your point and can't disagree, but I wasn't suggesting her outburst was inappropriate or some kind of burden to the others. I only meant it as a dramatic choice, that seeing her sadness could be as or more effective as seeing her frustration.

30 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

They should have been thrilled that the explosion did not upset him! Add me to those who think that kindergartners would not really process the event. Kids that young have pets die and don't care. (My grandmother died when I was in kindergarten, and my only thought was that we wouldn't visit her anymore. Challenger involved people these kids did not know.)

The thing to remember is that the Challenger flight was very hyped over it being the first to take a civilian, and the civilian was to be a schoolteacher. The whole point was to bring attention to the space shuttle flights that had become ho-hum for the public, so there was a big campaign to get everyone but especially school children excited for the flight. That's why schools had televisions in classrooms and gymnasiums for them to watch the launch. It was a big event particularly for school kids. In the months prior teachers talked about it a lot, and I'm sure very many teachers said things like "Just imagine if it was me going to space! Maybe I'll go next time!" So young students had that kind of focus on it and a sudden tragic end would have affected them more than just a random space shuttle exploding.

Kindergarteners might have been the least affected because of their age, maybe more confused than anything else, but I think it had more impact than a typical news event.

It's interesting that they did an episode that dealt with both the Challenger launch and memory issues. My understanding is that a whole lot of people have faulty memories of the Challenger launch.

Lots and lots of those born in the late '70s or very early '80s will tell you that they watched it live at school. And there were some schools that showed it to their students, because NASA created a satellite broadcast specifically for schools.

But the overwhelming majority of school kids didn't watch it happen at school. Very few schools had assemblies for everyone to watch it - and there weren't generally many TV sets per school, so most teachers couldn't just bring in a TV for their class to watch.

However, there was devastating footage of some school kids (Christa McAuliffe's students, maybe?) watching the launch at a big assembly, and realizing what happened. A lot of kids across America ended up seeing that footage. It made enough of an impression on them that, many years later, they falsely remember being at that actual assembly.

(As for adults at the time, barely anyone who was watching the news saw the crash happen live. If you were watching it on one of the big networks, they had all cut away before things went south. Lots of people saw footage of the crash soon after it happened, but not in the moment.)

Anyway...I'm only four days older than the big three, and I actually did watch the launch on the news. I was home sick that day, and my mother made sure to turn on the TV so we could see the Challenger launch, which she naturally assumed would be a fun, exciting thing for me.

That day, I was sad that the rocket didn't fly all the way up like it was supposed to, but it took me a little time to fully understand that the people on board were actually dead. I remember theorizing that the rocket MUST have hit a star.

So Kevin's reaction was the most believable, IMO.