Type keyword(s) to search

Single Drunk Female - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I don't find watching people act drunk for a half hour entertaining so this ep was a real chore to get through.

I was barely able to get my wife to watch the whole episode because she hated it so much. 

• Love 1

Wow ....

Didn't see that coming. James, wonder how long he has been drinking again. 

And her mom really played that situation, sneaking in about her boyfriend moving in. 

On the other hand the cliche 'I applied for a job across the country I didn't tell you about'  does anyone on TV know how to be in a relationship?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wow ....

And her mom really played that situation, sneaking in about her boyfriend moving in. 

On the other hand the cliche 'I applied for a job across the country I didn't tell you about'  does anyone on TV know how to be in a relationship?

I took it to be James fell off the wagon after his "epic" night of passion with Sam.  I was stunned too.

James needs a Felicia in his life.  She seems like she adjusts to the needs of those she's with.

Freeform knew Carol would be a hard pill to swallow so to counteract that, they cast an 80s icon Ally Sheedy...whose likable to soften the blow.

• Love 2
On 3/11/2022 at 5:44 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wow ....

I knew it would be him when Joel started talking to the guy next to him And the camera didn’t move to the other guy. 

I wonder if he almost fell off the wagon as a way to reset his timeline with Sam. Or as a show of growth, Sam will set the same boundaries with James. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, iLoveNny said:

I knew it would be him when Joel started talking to the guy next to him And the camera didn’t move to the other guy. 

I wonder if he almost fell off the wagon as a way to reset his timeline with Sam. Or as a show of growth, Sam will set the same boundaries with James. 

I was wondering that too.  Now they have to wait another year?

7 hours ago, iLoveNny said:

Isn't just one drink falling off the wagon?  James was drinking beer at the bar.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I don't find watching people act drunk for a half hour entertaining so this ep was a real chore to get through.

This was a waste of an episode. Why did we need to see a whole half an hour on their disastrous and disgusting hook up day? Fast forwarded through most of it.

• Love 1

Having James start drinking again is an interesting direction for the show. I am sure there are a lot of recovering alcoholics who have to deal with seeing one of their own relapse. I am sure it is a challenging situation on many levels. I hope we see Sam continue her recovery as opposed to James drag her down with him.

• Love 4

I had a feeling that one of the characters was going to relapse soon.  I just thought it would have been Sam instead of James.

Felicia really is the best character.  I loved all of her responses to Brit.

Side note: is it me or did that plot of land seemed too small for a 4 bedroom house?

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

Side note: is it me or did that plot of land seemed too small for a 4 bedroom house?

It's not just you. The area that's already been cleared definitely seemed too small for any house. I assumed that the lot Joel bought included some of the adjacent wooded property and they'd have to clear more trees in order to build the house. What really bugged me was, if you're building a 4 bedroom house yourself, why would you only build 2 bathrooms? Two baths is what you settle for if you're buying an existing house. If you're building a 4BR, then 3 BA minimum. 3.5 better. 

Of course, the whole scene was cringe-y. Did he really think it was OK to buy property for a house without consulting Brit? Red flag!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Of course, the whole scene was cringe-y. Did he really think it was OK to buy property for a house without consulting Brit? Red flag!

And did she really think it was OK to apply for that other program or whatever it is she did without consulting him? Equal red flag. Maybe they're even now lol.

• Love 1

Single Drunk Female      S01.E10: A Wedding

(Season Finale)

On her wedding day, Brit’s jitters lead her to make an unexpected decision. Carol and Bob take their relationship to a new level. Sam learns the truth about James and is shaken to the core about what her future might hold.

Original Airdate: March 17, 202  (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform 
118411_D_5467b.jpg
118411_D_2993b.jpg
118411_D_0198b.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 9:58 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I took it to be James fell off the wagon after his "epic" night of passion with Sam.  I was stunned too.

In the NY episode, he put Sam on the bus in New York to return home and said he had to stay behind.  I had an inkling right then that he was going to fall off the wagon.  There were a few clues in the ep.  The first was that the minute they arrived in NY, he talked about a bar making a certain kind of drink that was amazing-almost nostalgically.  He then got this amazing job offer and sometimes dealing with success is the hardest thing for an alcoholic to deal with. He stayed behind, alone. 

The fact that the next episode was a flashback to when they were both alcoholics solidified it for me even though they didn't confirm it until the next ep.

I suspected a relapse would happen but it is depressing that it's James.  I almost wonder if it would have been more interesting for someone in long recovery, like her sponsor, to relapse. 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:23 AM, zenithwit said:

I think empty lots can be deceiving. 

This season finale was pretty depressing--James blaming Sam for taking him to the wedding that might be a "trigger" for him.  I'm glad Sam walked away. 

There was also Sam seeing her dad and being sad that she had drifted into alcohol and therefore wasn't really present when he died.

I want to like Brit but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for her.  Is her streak of self sabotage because Sam came back into her life and old feelings of guilt are bubbling up because of when her relationship with Joel started? 

Thank goodness we had Felicia and The Surgeon dancing in the credits to save us from the utter sadness of the ep. My only question is that I could have sworn she said she was married earlier in the season.  Or that she lived with the dad of her kids. Am I wrong about that?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In the NY episode, he put Sam on the bus in New York to return home and said he had to stay behind.  I had an inkling right then that he was going to fall off the wagon.  There were a few clues in the ep.  The first was that the minute they arrived in NY, he talked about a bar making a certain kind of drink that was amazing-almost nostalgically.  He then got this amazing job offer and sometimes dealing with success is the hardest thing for an alcoholic to deal with. He stayed behind, alone. 

The fact that the next episode was a flashback to when they were both alcoholics solidified it for me even though they didn't confirm it until the next ep.

I suspected a relapse would happen but it is depressing that it's James.  I almost wonder if it would have been more interesting for someone in long recovery, like her sponsor, to relapse. 

I think empty lots can be deceiving. 

This season finale was pretty depressing--James blaming Sam for taking him to the wedding that might be a "trigger" for him.  I'm glad Sam walked away. 

There was also Sam seeing her dad and being sad that she had drifted into alcohol and therefore wasn't really present when he died.

I want to like Brit but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for her.  Is her streak of self sabotage because Sam came back into her life and old feelings of guilt are bubbling up because of when her relationship with Joel started? 

Thank goodness we had Felicia and The Surgeon dancing in the credits to save us from the utter sadness of the ep. My only question is that I could have sworn she said she was married earlier in the season.  Or that she lived with the dad of her kids. Am I wrong about that?

I dont recall but i assumed she doesn't live with the kids dad because she made a big deal when meeting Sam of trying to find a sitter earlier in the season.  

So she got married and the ran off?  That's a twist. 

Drunk James is a real tool.   Really shows how alcohol changes you. 

You're probably right about James is now York. He was super stressed after his meeting. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

Do we know if this show has already been renewed? That was it for the season, right? Hopefully it gets renewed and in the interim I can find myself a Felicia.

I liked it quite a bit. I love a dramedy that has a timeslot so it never gets bogged down. There seems to be more of a trend of half-hour dramedies but so many are streaming or on FX or something where they're given extra time when necessary and they can get so self-indulgent with that. Thanks, Freeform, for having to go off the air at the same time every night to air the 700 Club against all of your beliefs!

Obviously James's relapse is sad, but we were going to get one. In a way, the silver lining is that the show doesn't become about their relationship since now it's off for at least another year.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, AnimeMania said:

Single Drunk Female      S01.E10: A Wedding

(Season Finale)

On her wedding day, Brit’s jitters lead her to make an unexpected decision. Carol and Bob take their relationship to a new level. Sam learns the truth about James and is shaken to the core about what her future might hold.

Original Airdate: March 17, 202  (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform 
118411_D_5467b.jpg
118411_D_2993b.jpg
118411_D_0198b.jpg

Did I miss these scenes since I don’t remember any of this on SDF.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Dminches said:

Did I miss these scenes since I don’t remember any of this on SDF.

Those images must be from a different show.

Does anyone know what was on Britt's arm on the finale? Or if the tattoos on Sam are for the character or the actress' real tattoos? Those 2 things were all I was thinking about while watching this ep, which is probably a pretty good indication that I'm not that into this show lol.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Those images must be from a different show.

Does anyone know what was on Britt's arm on the finale? Or if the tattoos on Sam are for the character or the actress' real tattoos? Those 2 things were all I was thinking about while watching this ep, which is probably a pretty good indication that I'm not that into this show lol.

Sorry, I got the images from here:   

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/02/single-drunk-female-episode-110-wedding.html

here are the real ones:

160387_0392-900x0.jpg

160370_0702-900x0.jpg

160387_0007-900x0.jpg

160373_0156-900x0.jpg

• Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, peachmangosteen said:

And did she really think it was OK to apply for that other program or whatever it is she did without consulting him? Equal red flag. Maybe they're even now lol.

I slightly disagree, as applying doesn't guarantee an acceptance or a committal to the program. The purchasing of the lot, however? Different story.

Surprise we didn't see Olivia in the finale.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I slightly disagree, as applying doesn't guarantee an acceptance or a committal to the program. The purchasing of the lot, however? Different story.

Surprise we didn't see Olivia in the finale.

Yeah, you can apply in secret and then discuss IF accepted, but then the other person feels a bit betrayed or left out of "life decisions."  It's a greyer area than plunking your money down on the new homestead!  😃

I still say not telling your fiancé you're applying is a red flag lol. It's also obvious that Britt doesn't actually love Joel (I think that's his name) while it seems like he does love her so that makes it more glaring than it might actually be.

• Love 1

And I want to see Gail auditioning the book club like she mentioned.

The Brit/Joel/Sam situation is complex to me.  I'm wondering if her alcoholism drove Brit and Joel together because they tried helping her?

I'm happy Felicia had a happy final scene of the season.

I'm hoping Sam's sponsor will direct some of that sarcastic wisdom on James next season.

Sam and James have to go through obstacles before ending up together.

I just binge watched the first season and I really liked this show. First episode I didn't really like Felicia, since I saw her as the good drinking buddy - which the show quickly showed me I was wrong about!

I cannot wait for season 2.

Freeform better not cancel this after season 2 like they did Everything's Gonna Be Okay

Binged this yesterday. It was okay, but I have to say, a little clunky. Not enough was shown, too much is left up to assumptions. And the sponsor's pregnancy storyline came out of the blue without laying the proper groundwork for it first.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Harvey said:

Binged this yesterday. It was okay, but I have to say, a little clunky. Not enough was shown, too much is left up to assumptions. And the sponsor's pregnancy storyline came out of the blue without laying the proper groundwork for it first.

Yeah, it's not amazing, but it was a fun show (as weird as that sounds for a show about alcoholism).

I also agree 100% about the pregnancy plotline.

• Like 2

A great example of how painfully underdeveloped the characters are is that we are told multiple times that Felicia is a very good, responsible person because she has 3 kids and a job. Yet, we never once see her kids, nor are they ever mentioned in any meaningful way besides them existing. But she magically always has time to be there for everyone, go out to all the events and parties and show up for Sam. Yeah sure.

Single Drunk Female Season 2   April 12   10 pm      Freeform  10 episodes

With a year and a half of sobriety under her belt, Samantha Fink (Sofia Black-D’Elia) finally feels like she has a life worth celebrating. However, Sam quickly learns that sometimes life has other plans for her. Sam must figure out how to effect change where she can, sit in her discomfort when she can’t, and maybe even enjoy the ride.

New cast members include:
Molly Ringwald as Alice, Carol’s sister-in-law
Busy Philipps 
Ricky Velez

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I am not sure if this is true, but I read that after the premiere of the first episode on Freeform, Wednesday, April 12, 2023 starting at 10pm, the entire 10 episode Second Season will be available for streaming the next day on Hulu and On-Demand.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure if this is true, but I read that after the premiere of the first episode on Freeform, Wednesday, April 12, 2023 starting at 10pm, the entire 10 episode Second Season will be available for streaming the next day on Hulu and On-Demand.

That is true! I'm excited, but concerned that it might be a very bad sign for renewal chances.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

S02.E01: Promotion
SDF_JS_09012022_1333_R-900x0.jpg
For the first time in forever, with a new job and a new potential love interest, Sam thinks she has a life worth celebrating and throws herself a birthday party. Brit tries to convince everyone that she and Joel have the "perfect divorce."

Premiere Date: April 12, 2023    Freeform    10pm 
Premiere Date: April 13, 2023    Hulu

S02.E02: Grant Me The Serenity...
DD1_00310_R-900x0.jpg
Sam's newfound self-confidence is shaken when she learns her new boss is a blast from the past. Meanwhile, Felicia errs in how to congratulate her boyfriend on his promotion. And Olivia makes a life-changing decision.

Premiere Date: April 12, 2023    Freeform    10:30pm 
Premiere Date: April 13, 2023    Hulu

• Useful 1

Single Drunk Female Season 2   April 13, 2023   Hulu   
Episodes 3-10      Titles and Description

Spoiler

S02.E03: Normie
Sam questions if she can move on at work from her old self while also trying to navigate a relationship with a "normie." Carol snoops around Sam's room and makes a terrible discovery. Joel and James have a night out.
Premiere Date: April 19, 2023    Freeform    10pm 

S02.E04: 4th Step
After Sam learns that Carol has invaded her privacy, the two have an explosive fight, leaving Bob to try to mediate. And just as things are going well with Peter, Felicia gets an unwelcome visitor from her past.
Premiere Date: April 19, 2023    Freeform    10:30pm 

S02.E05: Defining Relationships
Sam and Alex prepare for their first romantic weekend away while Brit struggles to cope with singlehood in surprising ways. Elsewhere, Carol reluctantly tries Al-Anon, and James seeks help from an unlikely source.
Premiere Date: April 26, 2023    Freeform    10pm   

S02.E06: Keeping It Professional
Sam gets the opportunity to interview Bob the Drag Queen, but she sabotages her chance when she and Alex have their first fight. Meanwhile, Carol is forced to take her Al-Anon program seriously, and James tries to reconnect with Mindy.
Premiere Date: April 28, 2023    Freeform    (Check this date: Friday, not Wednesday)

S02.E07: Shiva
Sam and James reunite at an AA funeral and fall into old patterns.

S02.E08: Darby
Sam is forced to accept that she needs a new sponsor.

S02.E09: Coming Clean 
Sam struggles with whether or not to come clean to Alex.

S02.E10: Group of Drunks
(Season Finale)
Sam continues her search for her higher power.

You cannot tell by looking at someone what their health is, and the actress seems perfectly happy and healthy. Her life doesn't seem to be 'terrible' in any significant way. I'm happy that there's a fat person onscreen whose whole storyline doesn't revolve around being fat. It's refreshing. 

I love this show. It's a stretch that her old boss, who will forever be Laird and/or Jimmy Jam to me, is Sam's new boss, but the actor is fun to watch, so I get it. Sofia is such an interesting, beautiful, spiky screen presence, I love to watch her. 

Edited by luna1122again
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, luna1122again said:

You cannot tell by looking at someone what their health is, and the actress seems perfectly happy and healthy. Her life doesn't seem to be 'terrible' in any significant way. I'm happy that there's a fat person onscreen whose whole storyline doesn't revolve around being fat. It's refreshing. 

I love this show. It's a stretch that her old boss, who will forever be Laird and/or Jimmy Jam to me, is Sam's new boss, but the actor is fun to watch, so I get it. Sofia is such an interesting, beautiful, spiky screen presence, I love to watch her. 

I don't think it's a stretch I find ot pretty believable he'd end up her boss again.  Probably a small incestuous work community in that field. 

Plua he's great in the role.  Even though he's always be councilman jamm from parks and rec to me

• Like 1
On 4/15/2023 at 12:36 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Completely didn't recognize Molly Ringwald. 

Enjoyed the season. Although that last scene with her on the roof and looking at the moon looked totally fake. 

So is writing her higher power?  

Even her voice was completely different.  I haven't heard her speak lately, but think it was an acting choice.  She did portray the judgement Aunt Alice very well.