Type keyword(s) to search

Single Drunk Female - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A public flame-out at a New York media company forces 20-something alcoholic Samantha Fink to seize the only chance she has to sober up and avoid jail time: moving back home with her overbearing mother, Carol. Back in Greater Boston, Samantha restarts her life, working at the local grocery store while surrounded by all of the triggers that made her drink in the first place. Confronted with remnants of her old life, including run-ins with her perfect former best friend, who is now dating her ex, Samantha sets out on a path to move past her worst self and figure out her best self. Kinda.

• Love 2

Single Drunk Female is a ten episodes half-hour dramedy series on Freeform.

Single Drunk Female will debut with back-to-back episodes on Thursday, Jan. 20, starting at 10 p.m. After its premiere, the series will air new episodes Thursdays at 10:30 p.m. on Freeform, following “grown-ish.” 
FF_SDF_S1_KeyArt_HR_XTag.jpg?q=50&fit=cr
160084_SDF_Sofia.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-resize-KEEzKMkO1sqr4H.j

Single Drunk Female is a dramedy, where 20-something alcoholic, Samantha Fink (Sofia Black-D’Elia), a writer, who has  a public flame-out at a New York media company which forces Samantha Fink to seize the only chance she has to sober up and avoid jail time: by moving back home with her sober, overbearing Smother, Carol (Ally Sheedy) in Boston. Back in Greater Boston, Samantha Fink restarts her life, working at the local grocery store while surrounded by all of the triggers that made her drink in the first place. Confronted with remnants of her old life, including run-ins with her perfect former best friend, who is now dating her ex, Samantha Fink realizes she can no longer qualify as a party girl—she’s a walking disaster. Samantha Fink sets out on a path to move past her worst self and figure out her best self. Kinda. 
158039_0040.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=
160216_0155.jpg
160084_SDF_Group_Final1.jpg

The rest of the cast includes:

Rebecca Henderson as Olivia, a brilliant melancholic lesbian who works as one of The Greeters at AA. Smart as a whip with an acerbic wit, Olivia is a highly regarded, Peabody award-winning PBS journalist known for her program “Off the Docs.”

Lily Mae Harrington as Felicia, Samantha’s fun and fearless drinking companion who is always counting down the days until Samantha is out of rehab so they can meet up at their favorite local bar.

Garrick Bernard as James, an isolating, high-functioning drunk who works in the tech industry.  Whereas Samantha is on a downward spiral, James is merely experiencing a very slow and tedious decline.

Sasha Compère as Brit, her childhood former best friend forever.

Madeline Wise as Stephanie.

Jojo Brown as Mindy.
FH84j3HWQAQk3qK?format=jpg&name=large

• Love 2
On 1/4/2022 at 3:00 PM, AnimeMania said:

Single Drunk Female is a ten episodes half-hour dramedy series on Freeform.

Never heard of Freeform. Is it another "pay for" channel? I think I might like this show but not willing to pay. 

3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Never heard of Freeform. Is it another "pay for" channel? I think I might like this show but not willing to pay. 

I think it’s included in most basic cable/satellite packages. I have neither, but it is included with my Hulu. It used to be called ABC family and is owned by Disney.

• Useful 2

Single Drunk Female    S01.E01: Pilot

A public flame-out forces 20-something alcoholic Sam to move back home with her overbearing mother, Carol. Surrounded by all the triggers that made her drink, Sam tries to move past her worst self and figure out her best self. Kinda.

Original Airdate: Jan. 20, 2022    (10:00-10:30 p.m. EST)   Freeform

(L-R) Carol (Ally Sheedy), Olivia (Rebecca Henderson), Brit (Sasha Compère), Samantha Fink (Sofia Black-D’Elia), Felicia (Lily Mae Harrington), James (Garrick Bernard)  

160084_019_SDF_Gallery_PR_Group_2-900x0.

158039_0014-400x0.jpg

158040_0069-900x0.jpg

Single Drunk Female    S01.E02: One Day at a Time

An awkward run-in with her former best friend and her ex inspires Sam to own up to her past mistakes, both emotionally and financially. Meanwhile, as she resets her relationship with her mom, Sam is horrified to learn Carol is dating.

Original Airdate: Jan. 20 (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)    Freeform

159808_0688-900x0.jpg

159808_0020-450x0.jpg

'Single Drunk Female': Sofia Black-D'Elia & Ally Sheedy on the Messy Freeform Dramedy and Exploring a Mother-Daughter Relationship

Addiction, alcoholism, and sobriety are difficult subjects that often lead to challenging conversations and ongoing struggles, which is most definitely the case for Samantha Fink (Sofia Black-D’Elia) on the new Freeform dramedy Single Drunk Female, inspired by the life experiences of show creator Simone Finch. The 20-something alcoholic is forced into sobriety in order to avoid jail time, but when that leads to moving back home with her mother Carol (Ally Sheedy), who’s giving it everything she’s got to have a life of her own, and having to face all the triggers that lead her to drink in the first place, figuring out who she is and what she wants while sober seems like an insurmountable task. During a virtual junket, Collider got the opportunity to chat with co-stars Black-D’Elia and Sheedy for this interview, which you can both watch and read, about playing messy characters on a messy show, the instantaneous bond the actresses had with each other, having endless amounts of material to explore in this mother-daughter relationship, shooting a very memorable scene in the grocery store that Sam finds herself working at, and always finding the truth in the material.

• Love 1

So far I like it!   I like Sam being sort of sympathetic (I'm assuming losing her dad at a relatively young age is what set her on this path) while clearly not being ready to take responsibility for herself.  I like the facets of the mom character (Ally Sheedy) -- believably flawed and even resentful at times dealing with her daughter, but honestly trying.  I like the probation officer frankly telling her "I recommended you go to jail for 90 days but the judge said no" after the drunk driving incident.  I liked the acknowledgement that dealing with her emotions is what Sam can't handle ... and the cute guy at AA being like "oh, yeah, of course, that's the worst part by far."  

I do wonder how long they can keep up the quality and keep it interesting.  I would imagine recovery in real life would be a lot of learning to cope with the difficulty and mundanity of every day life without turning to substances.   

• Love 2

I love it, and so did my honey, it's right up our particular entertainment alley. Dark, funny, sardonic. And we both really really like Sofia Black-D'Elia. She’s gorgeous and talented and not afraid to play dark and sordid. Sam is a difficult character, the kind it'd be easy to have no patience or empathy for after awhile, in lesser hands, but she has this inherent vulnerability and self deprecation that makes you root for her. Love seeing Ally Sheedy too. Will def keep watching. 

• Love 4

At the end of the second episode, when she dropped her phone ... I both laughed out loud and physically cringed for her.  So perfectly awful but also so true to life.   Adulthood really sucks a lot of the time, and it's a lot harder if, like Sam, you've spent your twenties drinking instead of learning how to deal with it ... but this show also makes you very understanding as to why addicts rely on unhealthy coping mechanisms.  

Sofia D'Elia Black is great and Ally Sheedy is a delight, I'm really enjoying seeing her again.  

• Love 4

I thought this was a good start to the show, and this is just the sort of dramady that I really enjoy. Sofia Black-D'Elia is really well cast as Sam, making her sympathetic but also deeply flawed, and I like Ally Sheedy as Sam's mom. I like that, while Sam does seem to have some real understandable issues, probably connected with her dads death, she still has a long way to go when it comes to taking responsibility for her actions, she is making an attempt at sobriety now but still seems to on some level think that all of this is being blown out of proportion. It should be fun seeing her finally having to deal with being an adult now that she cant drink away responsibility anymore. 

• Love 1

I really hated Brit in the first episode.  It was fine for Brit to go up to Sam at the bar and try to start a polite conversation, since its pretty tough to ignore your former friend at a bar.  But when Sam went outside completely wasted that was clearly not the time to have a difficult conversation about the end of their friendship/her dating Sam's ex.    Sam is  - at this exact moment - fired, on probation, fresh out of rehab, completely wasted and living back at home with a very difficult parent.  And Brit goes outside and brings up Sam's stint in rehab and offers an insincere apology quickly followed up by defending herself for dating Sam's ex.  For the record, I don't actually have a problem with Brit dating Sam's ex as long as they were broken up for awhile before she started dating him.  But I do have a huge problem with the fact that Sam blocked her on social media, which made it clear that she didn't want to talk to her, and instead of leaving a drunk person having an incredibly hard time alone like she wants, Brit follows her outside to have a difficult conversation with while she is so drunk she's about to puke.   Brit is an engaged doctor, and Sam is currently a hot mess.  She's already won and doesn't need to rub it in her face.   It's a small town - they'll run into each other again when Sam is sober and they can have this conversation if she genuinely wanted to apologize.  Sam is responsible for her choice to drive drunk, but I can honestly understand that she was pretty upset by Brit's passive aggressive nonsense and wanted to leave immediately.  She totally should have gone in her friend's lyft, but Brit was pretty awful here.  Brit reminded me of when Carrie stalked Natasha to offer her an apology for sleeping with her husband (Carrie was 100% wrong and what Brit did wasn't anywhere near as bad, but she still should have left Sam alone if she made it clear she didn't want to have any contact with her.  )

• Love 1

Single Drunk Female    S01.E03: I’m Sorry, But…

Sam tries to win over Brit by making an amends at her birthday party. Unfortunately, Sam wasn’t invited and neglected Felicia. Meanwhile, when Sam’s probation officer stops by, Carol struggles to explain Sam’s “situation” to her friends.

Original Airdate: Jan. 27, 2022    (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform
159882_0140-900x0.jpg
159882_0431c-400x0.jpg
159882_0340-900x0.jpg
159885_0245-900x0.jpg

I'm both fascinated and repulsed by Sam.  Admittedly I have a short fuse for drunks.  On the third episode and at this point I'm just hate-watching the main character, but maybe that's the visceral reaction the show had in mind in the first place?

Loving Ally, the mom's boyfriend, the probation officer, the mentor & wife and the grocery store people.

Sidenote:  I watched 'St. Elmo's Fire' this morning.  You are still looking fine, Ally.

• Love 2

I love this show. I also love and cringe at Sam, she's such a train wreck, but she's trying. She fucks up but she's admitting it. Sofia is such a charismatic performer that she evokes deep empathy from me even when she's being loathesome. 

The ending, with the karaoke, was charming. 

• Love 4

Sam is such a mess, but I find her a very entertaining mess. She really was trying by the end of the episode, but she still clearly has a long way to go. Even beyond her alcoholism, she's immature, selfish, and makes excuses for her own screw ups, which have probably been fed by her addiction and her addiction was fueled by those issues, but I find her very watchable. 

Ally losing it at book club was great. 

• Love 4
On 1/22/2022 at 3:10 AM, chediavolo said:

Did anyone watch the first 2 episodes? I liked it a lot. Ally Sheedy looked so different, I didn’t recognize her. 

I recognized that pointy chin immediately, but between the number of elapsed years since The Breakfast Club and her glasses, I'm not sure I would have known it was Ally if I hadn't already read that she was on this show.

Just finished the second ep and dropped in to say that Samantha's sponsor (Olivia?) had the biggest cat I've ever seen in my life. Years ago I had a good boy who was a Maine C*** who was a sizable 15 or so pounds, and that one made him look like a kitten.

I'm still on the fence in that I'm not finding anything about this show to be really compelling so far, but I'll give it a few more episodes.  

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 4
On 1/22/2022 at 3:10 AM, chediavolo said:

Did anyone watch the first 2 episodes? I liked it a lot. Ally Sheedy looked so different, I didn’t recognize her. 

Yes; me too.  Yeah, Ally's not a basket case anymore.  She's older now and looks great.  I recognize her smile.

• Love 1

The look on Britt's fiancee's / Sam's ex's face when they ended up having to drive Sam home: LMAO.

Yeah, Sam really was not at all ready to try making amends with Britt.  Listen to your sponsor, Sam!  

I really liked that they showed a more serious side of Felicia, and Felicia pointing out that while Sam thinks of her as the fun drinking buddy, Felicia is more than that and actually is able to manage life as an adult, unlike Sam.   Like Sam, the audience kind of assumes Felicia might be a bad influence, but in reality Sam bears a lot of responsibility for setting the tone of their friendship.  

I was wondering why the boyfriend was pushing Carol to open up to her book club pals about Sam, and then I remembered "oh yeah, it's supposed to be a spiritual book club."  Which I guess means sharing more, etc.?

• Love 4

So I watched the first episode and I like the vibe.  While I think the actress who plays Sam does a great job and makes watching the story of her unfold interesting, I can't bring myself to actually like Sam.  I am getting the feeling that the show is trying to sell us that the alcohol is what makes Sam a bit of an asshole rather than Sam is an asshole who just happens to be a drunk.  If I knew her IRL, I'd want to throat punch her because every line delivery seemed to reek of sarcastic cynicism, even simple introductions.  Kinda like the reactions her probation officer has toward her LOL.  But as  a fictional character I can find it somewhat entertaining ... up to a point.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:32 AM, kitkat343 said:

For the record, I don't actually have a problem with Brit dating Sam's ex as long as they were broken up for awhile before she started dating him.  But I do have a huge problem with the fact that Sam blocked her on social media, which made it clear that she didn't want to talk to her, and instead of leaving a drunk person having an incredibly hard time alone like she wants, Brit follows her outside to have a difficult conversation with while she is so drunk she's about to puke.   Brit is an engaged doctor, and Sam is currently a hot mess.  She's already won and doesn't need to rub it in her face.   It's a small town - they'll run into each other again when Sam is sober and they can have this conversation if she genuinely wanted to apologize.  Sam is responsible for her choice to drive drunk, but I can honestly understand that she was pretty upset by Brit's passive aggressive nonsense and wanted to leave immediately.  She totally should have gone in her friend's lyft, but Brit was pretty awful here.

I disagree with this a bit because as I read that bar scene I am not sure how much of Sam's serious alcoholism is supposed to known to her friends.  Even her drinking with Felecia seemed like neither one of them took it too seriously.  Sam's whole demeanor throughout up to that point had been that this is all just an inconvenience and she has to just get through the 90 days so she get on with her life.  She was trying to game the system from day one.

So Britt and Felecia may be in as much denial (or just ignorant of the signs) as Sam,  only seeing her as a hard partier but not someone with a real problem.  At one point Britt tries to break the ice and says with a laugh "So, uh rehab. huh?" but not in a concerned "oh my god you have issues" way but in a "Ha! you gamed the system and got out of trouble by pulling a bullshit rehab thing"way. 

So the subtext I got from that scene was that Britt really has no clue about the real seriousness with Sam's problem with alcohol and saw bumping into Sam at the bar as  an opportunity to repair a fractured friendship.  So I didn't take it as passive aggressive at all, given that she had mentioned going to New York to try to patch things up with Sam before.  It sounds like the two women had a very long friendship (that possibly the ex thing broke) and Britt has been trying to salvage it with Sam resisting and ghosting her over it. 

I supposed Britt could just leave it alone and Sam in her rear-view forever, but maybe she misses her friend? It remains to be seen, for me, how this will play out as we learn more about their relationship and see how the show fleshes them out going forward.

I do enjoy seeing Ally Sheedy again.  I enjoy how her character is being written so far.

• Love 4
On 1/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

I really liked that they showed a more serious side of Felicia, and Felicia pointing out that while Sam thinks of her as the fun drinking buddy, Felicia is more than that and actually is able to manage life as an adult, unlike Sam.   Like Sam, the audience kind of assumes Felicia might be a bad influence, but in reality Sam bears a lot of responsibility for setting the tone of their friendship.  

I really liked this aspect of learning about Felecia.  Also the actress has a fantastic singing voice.

I am really enjoying both the sponsor and Sam's probation officer, Gail.  She's a riot.  LOL.

• Love 6

Single Drunk Female    S01.E04: Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Sam faces her hardest challenge yet: avoiding alcohol on St. Patrick's Day in Boston; Brit gives Sam an unexpected chance to rekindle their friendship; James and Mindy track down his lost keys while battling St. Patrick's Day temptations.

Original Airdate: Feb. 3, 2022 (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)    Freeform
159953_0272-900x0.jpg
159953_0137-900x0.jpg

Freeform’s ‘Single Drunk Female’ Series Premiere Draws More Than 2.4 Million Multiplatform Viewers In Live+7

The January 20 launch has amassed over 2.4 million multiplatform viewers in Live+7, according to Nielsen and Freeform, marking the network’s biggest comedy premiere since the Jan. 3, 2018 debut of grown-ish more than four years ago.

The opening episode also was the most-watched Freeform comedy series premiere on Hulu, and the second-best performance overall for a Freeform series premiere on the platform, behind only Cruel Summer, which averaged 3.81 million multi-platform viewers in its first week.

Freeform has only launched one comedy series since grown-ish, Everything’s Gonna Be Okay, plus the pandemic-themed 2020 entry Love in the Time of Corona.  So, this may not be that big of an achievement.

Single Drunk Female    S01.E05: Sober for the D and V

Sam embarks upon her first terrifyingly personal hook-up as a sober person with the help of Felicia, who has big plans to jump-start Sam's dating life; Carol "accidentally" plants a small seed of doubt in Brit's mind about Joel.

Original Airdate: Feb. 10, 2022    (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)     Freeform
159976_0037.jpg
159976_0294.jpg
159976_0118.jpg

So much to say about the recent episode:

Joel/Brit:  she's taking him for granted and talking down to him.  He needs to break it off and find someone that will treat him well.  

Carol: Not sure if I like her or not.  I do love Ally Sheedy so that helps.

Creepy curly hair hookup:  I got red flags from this girl. 

Felicia: a friend we all should have in our life 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So much to say about the recent episode:

Joel/Brit:  she's taking him for granted and talking down to him.  He needs to break it off and find someone that will treat him well.  

Carol: Not sure if I like her or not.  I do love Ally Sheedy so that helps.

Creepy curly hair hookup:  I got red flags from this girl. 

Felicia: a friend we all should have in our life 

Agree with Joel/Brit, which is why I support Carol's planting seeds conversation.  Technically she shouldn't be meddling, and is trying to sabotage the impending nuptuals because "Brit stole Joel from Sam" but really Joel needs to put the brakes on before he gets trapped in Brit;s spiderweb.

Love AS too, so there's always that!

Yeah.

She's a hoot.

The sober party looked fun, Felecia is such a great friend. Sam is making some progress, but those impulse control issues are still there and could easily catch up with her again. 

This is one of the first times we have spent much time with Joel, he seems like a nice guy. I felt bad that Brit was trying to make the poor guy feel bad for not reading The Grapes of Wrath while planning a wedding. That was also on Carol though, that was some grade A weird passive aggression she had going on when they ran into each other, I would like to know more about what happened between Joel and Sam and when he got together with Britt. 

Single Drunk Female      S01.E06: Look Me Up Sometime

Sam scores a victory when she lands a job interview in New York with an unlikely ally, only to discover how scary it is to write while sober; concerned her daughter needs help, Carol breaks a boundary and introduces herself to Olivia.

Original Airdate: Feb. 17, 2022    (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)    Freeform
160029_0106.jpg
160029_0216.jpg
160029_0226.jpg

Sam getting writers block after giving up drinking makes sense, it was such a crutch for her for so long and also probably a source of inspiration, she really has to relearn her entire life now that she's sober. 

Felicia is still my favorite character. Her and Sam's parole officer, who's just an absolute delight.

• Love 2

Single Drunk Female    S01.E07: New York

Sam and James travel to New York; while there, Sam is confronted with memories of who she was before sobriety and must decide whether she can risk being Old Sam again; Olivia and Stephanie take an important step in their IVF journey.

Original Airdate: Feb, 24, 2022   (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform 
160072_0194.jpg
160072_0104.jpg
160069_0328.jpg
160069_0082.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania

Binged this show over the past couple days, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. And so glad to see Ally Sheedy out of retirement! Freeform HQ must have a special department devoted to re-recruiting Gen X former stars who denounced the industry forever.

I need a Felicia in my life. 

• Love 1

I really like ally Sheedy in this show and generally enjoy it.  

What I didn't like is the whining about how its not fair the two women need a man as even just a sperm donor for the process of getting pregnant.   Sorry but biologically that's how it works.  For everyone...male, female, homosexual, heterosexual, asexual pansexual, you can be what you want but to produce a baby you need sperm. Just like you need a female egg. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Word on being happy to see Ally Sheedy every week, she's really great and deserves to have a good job to come back to acting for. 

I like Sam's sponsor, but I don't really care for her wife. I know that a lot of her drama is played for laughs, but I find a lot of their relationship tedious. I liked Sam's trip to New York, glad that it went decently enough even if the job she's applying for doesn't seem like the best kind of work environment. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Word on being happy to see Ally Sheedy every week, she's really great and deserves to have a good job to come back to acting for. 

I like Sam's sponsor, but I don't really care for her wife. I know that a lot of her drama is played for laughs, but I find a lot of their relationship tedious. I liked Sam's trip to New York, glad that it went decently enough even if the job she's applying for doesn't seem like the best kind of work environment. 

Oh that job is a set up for a relapse.  Moving back to New York, old habits, parties, work where she feels like drinking helps her. She wouldn't make it a month. 

• Love 4

UO but I don't like Ally Sheedy's character. AS is playing her so unhinged and she contorts her face too damn much for me.

I don't know how we're supposed to take the sponsor's wife. She's hilarious but she is horrible and I don't know why we would want the sponsor, who is awesome, to be with someone like that.

• Love 3

Single Drunk Female    S01.E08: James

In this flashback episode, an inebriated James meets a drunken “Katrina” (Sam) in a bar on Thanksgiving. After getting kicked out, the two embark upon their own one-night holiday celebration. James’ time with Sam spurs him to make a change.

Original Airdate: March 3, 2022  (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform 
160124_0071-900x0.jpg
162271_0004-900x0.jpg
162271_0002-900x0.jpg

• Useful 1

That Thanksgiving flashback episode was pretty well done but painful to watch. Just reminded me of being young and dumb and having those "lost nights/weekends" with some new pal that feel so fun and rebellious until you think about what it looks like from the outside.

Loved seeing Carl Anthony Payne. I know he's worked a ton but I still associate him most with The Cosby Show and Martin. Freeform continues to keep our 80s/90s legends employed and I continue to love them for it.

• Love 2

It was a good episide but seems inconsistent that they'd spend a whole day together and them not pretty much instantly recognize one another earlier in the season.  They'd played it like was an afterthought sort of mert up earlier in the show and now it was an epic encounter like this?  And was James final straw to convince him to get help? 

So maybe James didn't bring it up because he was hoping she'd forget and I realize being drunk ruins memories.  But still hard to believe there wasn't a faster or stronger recognition when they reconnected. 

• Love 1

It does seem like Sam would remember each other after spending this whole day together, but I guess when your an alcoholic the people you meet on your binges would start to blend. I wonder if this is what led James to realize he needed help? 

Both of the actors did a good job at playing drunk, as rough as it was to watch. They both especially did that "drunk and trying not to sound drunk" slow talk very well.

I thought they were pretty bad at it myself. The James actor was good a the dinner with his family but he went to comical and obviously fake afterwards. The Sam actor has never been good imo.

What can I say, I'm very critical of actors playing drunk I guess lol.

Single Drunk Female        S01.E09: Higher Parent

After celebrating a milestone with a bang, Sam decides it’s time to make amends with Carol. When a fight with Joel makes Brit reexamine the future, she turns to an unlikely ally: Felicia. Meanwhile, James conceals a destructive secret.

Original Airdate: March 10, 2022  (10:30-11:00 p.m. EST)   Freeform 
160259_0142-900x0.jpg
160276_0155-900x0.jpg
160259_0145A-900x0.jpg
160374_2201_R-900x0.jpg

• Useful 1