Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Chance Of A Lifetime - General Discussion

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, johnmiller said:

Was that on the final episode that Guy said all that? Or was it earlier? Or was it on his website or something? I would say that I would go back through the final episode to see, but I deleted that baby from both my DVR and from the Trash bin as quickly as possible. :-)

It was on the final episode, just before he announced the second place "prize" they had just decide to give at the last minute because they were so awesome.  Uh huh,  It's like a cult recruiting technique.  "You're so awesome.  You are the best you you can be,.  Let me waive this initiation fee so you can find your family with us--and pay us an ongoing tithe, I mean royalty, from your earnings."   It was such bullshit giving them all second place.  You can't tell me he wants most of those people running something with his name on it after the way they acted.  Cayton's big baby, Eboni is full of herself, Chelsea seems to have some weird obsession with Guy ("what don't you love me!?") and Phil apparently doesn't have any restaurant experience.  

I'm still confused to when this was filmed, but it had to be after the pandemic started because the Branson restaurant didn't open until June 2020.  But i never saw anyone wearing a mask and in the finale the judges were practically sitting on top of each at the table.   Ever since the pandemic, judgers tables on all of these shows have been spread out.  I know it was outside, but they were turning to face each other and talking just a few inches from the other person.  

• Love 1

The only follow-up I want to see is how these Chicken Guy franchises are doing.  Is Kevin as good as everybody thinks he is?  Did Phil take singing lessons so he can seranade diners?  Does Cayton have trouble keeping employees because he's always throwing hissy-fits? Has Chase found financing for his projects? Does Eboni regret leaving her "dream job"?  And, finally, has Chelsea moved on or does she still wonder why Guy doesn't love her?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

On 2/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, chenoa333 said:

I haven't watched every (few) episodes of this show, so what exactly IS the uniqueness of Chicken Guy restaurants? Is it simply the celeb status of Guy? Are the chickens free range and raised humanely? 

Funniest comment of the evening.

10 hours ago, johnmiller said:

I'll bet that contestants for this had to sign a CRAZY contract, likely ensuring that Guy could do anything he wanted with their ideas and not compensate them beyond the minimum union day rate for each day they were on the show. If the show was union. Otherwise, it was even less.

At the end of Shark Tank, there's a disclaimer to the effect that just because a deal/agreement was struck during the broadcast, there is nothing legally binding about it.  I'm pretty sure that Guy's lawyers have a big fat clause in the contestant's contracts saying Guy can change his mind.  For example, if, for some inconceivable reason Chelsea or Cayton had won, there's no way they would have got a franchise.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Funniest comment of the evening.

It wasn't meant to be funny. I wouldn't go to a Chicken Guy's franchise if I knew the chickens were not free range. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3

We have a Guy’s franchise here and I can tell you, the food is awful.  It’s nothing special food wise that makes you say “Man, I just gotta go there”.  Everything is fried and the sandwiches are overloaded with shredded lettuce.  

One important question.  When is the Food Network going to officially change its name to The Guy Network?  I used to like him, but now I just can’t stand his egotistical, bombastic style.  On one 24 hour stretch, he’s on for 13 hours!  And the weekends are nothing more than repeat after repeat of Diners, Drive in’s and Dives.   

• Love 4
15 hours ago, johnmiller said:

I'll bet that contestants for this had to sign a CRAZY contract, likely ensuring that Guy could do anything he wanted with their ideas and not compensate them beyond the minimum union day rate for each day they were on the show. If the show was union. Otherwise, it was even less.

Not to mention a nondisclosure for all the proprietary info about Chicken Guy they learned.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

It wasn't meant to be funny. I wouldn't go to a Chicken Guy's franchise if I knew the chickens were not free range. 

I think the point is that there HAS to be SOME reason to go to his places. There are fast-food chicken places all over! So to have another one, it really needs to be either really great or have something about it that is special. The thing I most noticed is how thin the chicken is. After being breaded and fried, I would think that it would be tough for it not to get dry and/or chewy.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, johnmiller said:

I think the point is that there HAS to be SOME reason to go to his places. There are fast-food chicken places all over! So to have another one, it really needs to be either really great or have something about it that is special. The thing I most noticed is how thin the chicken is. After being breaded and fried, I would think that it would be tough for it not to get dry and/or chewy.

Seriously! Those “tenders” looked like a piece of flounder or sole!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, xaxat said:

That is a great summary of how I feel about the show.

I deleted the "record all" option on my DVR after the first episode.  I considered the show an absolute DUD!  Glad many agreed with me!

• Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, mlp said:

The FDD quoted in that is insane.

I feel this whole show was a disaster from start to finish.  The contestants were basically trained to work as staff not managers,  and the various "mini-contests" were completely pointless.

As for being an infomercial for Chicken Guy - TOTAL FAIL  The only impression it gave to me was of an overpriced theme park restaurant.  And the idea of all the health conscious things they tried to highlight, gluten free etc   that was completely buried under all the fried chicken and milkshakes.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Maverick said:

The Flavortown Kitchen is meant to be delivery only.  There's one near me but I don't live close enough for delivery, which I wouldn't want to do since there's a lot of fried on the menu and that doesn't travel well.   From what I can tell, the address for most of the locations if for Buca di Beppo so I'm assuming it's some deal his company struck to use their kitchens to prepare delivery.  Maybe that will be his next show:  Guy's Chance to Prepare Take Out In A Kitchen Rented Part Time.  

Ghost kitchens. A concept made by his business partner and the BP's son

https://www.virtualdiningconcepts.com