Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Chance Of A Lifetime - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Guy Fieri is expanding his successful restaurant empire and is searching for one talented food entrepreneur to run their own "Chicken Guy!" franchise. Guy chose seven top candidates to participate in the most intense, high stakes job interview they could ever dream of, to become the owner of the newest location of the "Chicken Guy!" franchise. The candidates must prove they can successfully lead every aspect of the food business, from culinary, to marketing, and to front of house hospitality. Only one will have their destiny changed forever when they win the ultimate chance of lifetime.

The guy having second thoughts & "showing up late" seemed like a scripted gimmick to me, but I think it's a valid concern: you "win" and fairly quickly are expected to relocate to an as-yet unknown location? 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GeorgiaRai said:

The guy having second thoughts & "showing up late" seemed like a scripted gimmick to me,

I thought so too, especially when the others started making negative comments while Guy was out of the room.  I also thought it was curious that he just happened to have a camera on him when he called Guy about his reservations.

That first day was way too frantic.  There's no way a restaurant would try to train anyone on everything all in one day and then expect that person to remember it all.

Was Ebony on Master Chef a few seasons ago?  I remember a woman who looked like her and was just as impressed with herself and just as abrasive.

Hunter has no business sitting in judgment on others until he accomplishes something himself.  Following his dad around and having everything handed to him doesn't count.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Hunter was introduced as "heir to the throne." He's accomplished absolutely nothing on his own. He has no business sitting in judgment of these contestants. 

He graduated with a degree in hospitality and restaurant management back in December of 2019. So he at least has that and we don't know when this was filmed (though the last latest news on the Chicken Guy website was 2020 and the Orlando location is listed as the newest).

We can fault Guy for always using his trusted circle on his shows, but at least he's given his son a chance to use his platform. Hunter just has to take advantage of it if he wants it.

• Love 6

Eboni had a long resume but I didn't hear "chef". Can she cook?

Don't like late guy, nervous guy, and the guy who sucked at milkshakes. Can't believe he slacked off during the cleaning. Would go to a Chicken Guy to try one of those milkshakes. That looked so good.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I thought so too, especially when the others started making negative comments while Guy was out of the room.  I also thought it was curious that he just happened to have a camera on him when he called Guy about his reservations.

5 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

Don't be on the show if you're not willing to take the prize.

The guy who was waffling was on Zoom or his phone so there wasn't a camera crew thee with him.   There's a lot of antics on these shows but I can believe he was on a video call with the producers to bail and they conferenced in Guy to talk (guilt) him off the ledge.   I agree he shouldn't be on if he has reservations about the prize but to be fair he was trying to back out and it was Production that coaxed him to stay on.  What I do call BS on is him showing up late and Guy acting it was like a big surprise he showed up.   No way he didn't call let them know he was coming.   That whole show was for drama.  And for a show that doesn't eliminate people because it's about being uplifting or whatever, there sure was a lot of smack talk during that scene and through the whole show. 

The whole thing is a bit dodgy.  They're basically giving away the chance to run a knockoff of KFC (which will probably long outlast this chain).   Opening a franchise isn't cheap so there's value to that but the fees a franchisee pays for product, marketing, royalties, etc can be crippling.  It's basically the same model as $50 printers that bleed you dry in the cost of ink cartridges.   The biggest laugh is that it's an awesome opportunity for a chef.  It's a chain restaurant.  There's no room for creativity or innovation.   There's no chef's special.   A chain is all about producing a product to spec consistently.  That's where I was most bugged with the Texas guy.   He didn't need to take notes because he knows how to bread chicken.  No, you know how to bread chicken your way.   Someone coming into a chain restaurant has an expectation of what they're getting and it's not your way.   It would be different if they were offering chefs a chance to run the test kitchen and develop dishes but to be a chef in a franchise you need skill not creativity.   

"Heir to the throne".  Yeah, sounds about right.   Points for owning your shit, at least.   I'm sure Hunter would make a lovely little Lo0rd Wyndemere prancing about Flavortown Market.  

tumblr_lzfu74FPdZ1qzwhpi.gif

Edited by Maverick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Quote:

"Heir to the throne".  Yeah, sounds about right.   Points for owning your shit, at least.   I'm sure Hunter would make a lovely little Lo0rd Wyndemere prancing about Flavortown Market.  

3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Gaahh somehow messed up the quote! 

I'll be the first one to say I think Hunter is getting very unfair/unearned advantages in his TV exposure.  However as the son of Guy who owns/owned many restaurants, I expect he worked in them as a teen ( maybe younger) for many years in various capacities and does have a college degree from UNLV in Hospitality (and whatever) behind him so he does have some chops. But I still feel he needs to do something on his own to deserve all these props. Let him open and run a restaurant and I will respect him a lot more.

Edited by Gramto6
messed up quote
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Skyfall said:

He graduated with a degree in hospitality and restaurant management back in December of 2019.

The degree itself does not give Hunter the right to critique chefs far more experienced than he.  My younger daughter has the same degree but ended up in a field that has nothing to do with food.  She wouldn't presume to criticize a working chef who has years of cooking and restaurant experience she doesn't have.  Admittedly, Hunter grew up in his father's shadow so he's had a lot of exposure and he can cook at some level but he's still a 20-something a couple years out of school with no experience beyond working with dad.  Guy has elevated him much too far much too soon.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mlp said:

The degree itself does not give Hunter the right to critique chefs far more experienced than he.  My younger daughter has the same degree but ended up in a field that has nothing to do with food.  She wouldn't presume to criticize a working chef who has years of cooking and restaurant experience she doesn't have.  Admittedly, Hunter grew up in his father's shadow so he's had a lot of exposure and he can cook at some level but he's still a 20-something a couple years out of school with no experience beyond working with dad.  Guy has elevated him much too far much too soon.

That may be by design. Guy may be looking to retire (or at least retire from on screen and keep doing production, etc) and getting Hunter in front of the audience more will help if there is a transition to not make it as jarring.

Edit: Just looked it up, Guy turns 54 later this month.

Edited by Skyfall
20 hours ago, Skyfall said:

That may be by design. Guy may be looking to retire (or at least retire from on screen and keep doing production, etc) and getting Hunter in front of the audience more will help if there is a transition to not make it as jarring.

Edit: Just looked it up, Guy turns 54 later this month.

No offense to Guy (or Hunter); however, if Guy believes that Hunter can compete with him in the personality, cooking ability, and/or ability to relate to a TV audience departments, he's sadly mistaken.

I don't see Hunter as anything other than what we see him do on all these Guy-produced shows.  He's a very pallid and innocuous presence that fades into the proverbial woodwork. 

Of course, Guy may be grooming him to run the tremendous multi-million$$$ business he has created; however, I don't see Hunter succeeding alone in front of the cameras. 

He does seem like a very nice young man, however.

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 10
On 1/3/2022 at 3:12 PM, mlp said:

Was Ebony on Master Chef a few seasons ago?  I remember a woman who looked like her and was just as impressed with herself and just as abrasive.

Yup.  She was the runner up too.  She looked so familiar to me when I started watching this that I looked her up.  I can't remember how I felt about her on Master Chef though.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, radiochik said:

Yup.  She was the runner up too.  She looked so familiar to me when I started watching this that I looked her up.  I can't remember how I felt about her on Master Chef though.  

Thanks.  I didn't remember that she was a runner up but I did remember her very elaborate hairdos and her very high opinion of herself.  Looks like we'll see more of same.

• Love 2

I’m confused by the entire premise of this show. Why do they need a chef to run a franchise? Does the winner get the new restaurant, or will they just manage it?

Also had to rewind to see if that guy really just said he had to poop on TV. Yes, yes  he did… 

• Love 3
On 1/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, pdlinda said:

No offense to Guy (or Hunter); however, if Guy believes that Hunter can compete with him in the personality, cooking ability, and/or ability to relate to a TV audience departments, he's sadly mistaken.

I don't see Hunter as anything other than what we see him do on all these Guy-produced shows.  He's a very pallid and innocuous presence that fades into the proverbial woodwork. 

Of course, Guy may be grooming him to run the tremendous multi-million$$$ business he has created; however, I don't see Hunter succeeding alone in front of the cameras. 

He does seem like a very nice young man, however.

This goes to my theory about children of famous people: That famous parent was lightning in a bottle. Their child will not have whatever talent their parent did. Hunter is just Human X and has none of his father's personality. Probably has what little cooking talent his father has either. Fieri is all self-promotion and salesmanship. That is the only "talent" he could pass on to his child.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Maya said:

Also had to rewind to see if that guy really just said he had to poop on TV. Yes, yes  he did… 

I thought that's what he said but hubby was all no he said he had to bring it home.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, GeorgiaRai said:

The guy having second thoughts & "showing up late" seemed like a scripted gimmick to me, but I think it's a valid concern: you "win" and fairly quickly are expected to relocate to an as-yet unknown location? 

I agree. It's pretty nuts. But that's the contest.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:39 PM, Maverick said:

"Heir to the throne".  Yeah, sounds about right.   Points for owning your shit, at least.   I'm sure Hunter would make a lovely little Lord Wyndemere prancing about Flavortown Market.  

tumblr_lzfu74FPdZ1qzwhpi.gif

Fieri's youngest son, Runner, Pointer, whatever his name is, actually has a personality. Just skip over Hunter, send him to work at one of Guy's restaurants, and get the younger one on TV.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Maya said:

I’m confused by the entire premise of this show. Why do they need a chef to run a franchise? Does the winner get the new restaurant, or will they just manage it?

I hope somebody answers your question accurately.  I, too, wondered about the same thing.

I also wondered the same thing about the end result for the winner. I had fun reading the following review on this show (or an 'informercial' for Chicken Guy!' as the author describes it).

I'm crazily drawn to these types of shows or sometimes there's just nothing much on TV at the moment and I'm a Food Network fan. The article below also questions the vague information on what the 'lucky' contestant might be in for.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2022/01/guys-chance-of-a-lifetime-food-network-review/

And more on the Eboni lady (plus an additional take on the show's premise follows her profile- keep scrolling). I also thought she looked familiar.

https://www.mashed.com/670820/guys-chance-of-a-lifetime-release-date-grand-prize-and-more/

I'm neutral on Hunter. Some day Guy might let him loose on his own and he might surprise us all with an infectious, charismatic personality, but it certainly isn't shining though while he's so carefully scripted. I agree he seems like a nice enough young man. Hope he can make things work within the family companies and come into his own someday.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I questioned the 'prize'--and the need for a chef to run it--after the first episode.   You're running a chain franchise, not a restaurant.   The Dominos up the street isn't selling an artisan crated white pizza on a gluten-added chick pea crust with locally sourced cumquats and free range tofu.   They're selling the same gooey super cheesy melty extra cheesy dipping folding sliced pizza that were developed in a corporate kitchen and sold by thousands of other Dominos--using ingredients that you have to buy from Corporate (on top of the franchise fees).   

Most of these contestants are serious restaurant chefs and there's a reason for that.  They're cast for "personality" and sob stories that can make this show look good and to replenish the recurring contestant.  It's no different than Guy's Big Chance where several of those contestants became fixtures on the Guy Circuit for a while.   None of those though--including the winners--have seemed to stick.

Love him or hate him, the above poster was correct that Guy was lightning in a bottle.  And FN has been trying to capture it ever since.  That's why Food Network Star went on so long despite never replicate the success of Guy.   And Hunter's no different than any of those contestants.  He won't be the next Guy just because he's Guy's son.  He can take over the business and may do great running it, but it's unlikely he'll ever drive it as the face of the company.

I was getting MAJOR second hand embarrassment from Phil.   The previews show him saying he may lose his job but it's more likely he caught wind that his family's going into witsec after he willing made himself look like a damn fool on television for 'prize' he'll never win and is likely no prize at all.  

• Love 4

Yeah, Hunter seems nice enough and I've always thought it was nice that guy has such good relationships with his kids (I know we don't see the younger son much but when we do it seems they get on well). And if I had a business empire, I'd groom my kids if they wanted to be part of it. But right now, even after being on TV a lot, he's just not good at it. Maybe on his own, he could do well cooking or hosting with his own calmer, softer persona, but for now, he just flattens the mood. 

I haven't been investing enough in this to keep everyone straight. I did enjoy the creation of new sauces since for me, with chicken, they can make or break my meal. We got a Popeyes a year or so ago, and they have a 100% record of giving us the wrong sauces for my tenders and I've liked all of them. But I have preferences and they seem determined to deny me those. 

I'm more interested in this now because I noticed on GrubHub that was have a Guy Fieri's Flavortown Kitchen not far away (delivery only, but I don't know if that's because of the pandemic). They have some of the items they talk about on this show (super melty cheese and The Chicken Guy classic sandwich) but also entrees and such. The ratings aren't great and I tend to try to avoid ordering from GrubHub or other delivery services unless the local business I'm trying to support only uses those. But Guy has so many different kinds of restaurants and endeavors that if Hunter isn't good at TV, there should still be some job for him. But then, those places probably get more business because Guy is on TV and if he doesn't have a successor once he's done with the public part, will his business suffer. https://www.grubhub.com/restaurant/guy-fieris-flavortown-kitchen-412-franklin-st-braintree/2364877 

• Love 1

The Flavortown Kitchen is meant to be delivery only.  There's one near me but I don't live close enough for delivery, which I wouldn't want to do since there's a lot of fried on the menu and that doesn't travel well.   From what I can tell, the address for most of the locations if for Buca di Beppo so I'm assuming it's some deal his company struck to use their kitchens to prepare delivery.  Maybe that will be his next show:  Guy's Chance to Prepare Take Out In A Kitchen Rented Part Time.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

The Flavortown Kitchen is meant to be delivery only.  There's one near me but I don't live close enough for delivery, which I wouldn't want to do since there's a lot of fried on the menu and that doesn't travel well.   From what I can tell, the address for most of the locations if for Buca di Beppo so I'm assuming it's some deal his company struck to use their kitchens to prepare delivery.  Maybe that will be his next show:  Guy's Chance to Prepare Take Out In A Kitchen Rented Part Time.  

Oh, interesting. Thank you. I looked what else is at that address and there's a Bertucci's but when I did a search for Buca di Beppo in that city, I got job opening for Bertucci's at Buca di Beppo. Looks like the Google pic is outdated, but it looks like you figured it out! That's interesting. Guy does seems to have good ideas for creating TV shows and business opportunities. One time I saw him and Hunter watching one of their shows and talking about how Guy had conceived it. I figured he could be taking credit for a bit more than he'd done, but I think he really is a pretty good at coming up with ideas and being clever at pivoting. Thank you again! I liked finding out about this. 

• Love 1
On 1/9/2022 at 7:53 PM, johnmiller said:

This goes to my theory about children of famous people: That famous parent was lightning in a bottle. Their child will not have whatever talent their parent did. Hunter is just Human X and has none of his father's personality. Probably has what little cooking talent his father has either. Fieri is all self-promotion and salesmanship. That is the only "talent" he could pass on to his child.

Larry Forgione -->> Mark Forgione

Zarella Martinez -->> Aarrrrrrrrrrrrron Sanchez

Ingrid Bergman + Roberto Rossellini = Isabella Rossellini

Phil Collins -->> Lily Collins

Vanessa Redgrave + Tony Richardson = Natasha Richardson

John Lennon + Yoko Ono = Sean Lennon

Lisa Marie Presley -->> Elvis Presley

Tippi Hedren -->> Melanie Griffith

Martin Sheen -->> Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen

Blythe Danner + Bruce Paltrow = Gwyneth Paltrow

. . . . to name a few.

4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Larry Forgione -->> Mark Forgione

Zarella Martinez -->> Aarrrrrrrrrrrrron Sanchez

Ingrid Bergman + Roberto Rossellini = Isabella Rossellini

Phil Collins -->> Lily Collins

Vanessa Redgrave + Tony Richardson = Natasha Richardson

John Lennon + Yoko Ono = Sean Lennon

Lisa Marie Presley -->> Elvis Presley

Tippi Hedren -->> Melanie Griffith

Martin Sheen -->> Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen

Blythe Danner + Bruce Paltrow = Gwyneth Paltrow

. . . . to name a few.

Thanks for proving my point! :-)

On 1/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, pdlinda said:

I hope somebody answers your question accurately.  I, too, wondered about the same thing.

A lot of restaurants are about having a business partner and a chef partner. The Business Partner is the money guy. The Chef Partner obviously runs the kitchen and makes sure that the food works. Lofaso "owns" whatever restaurants, but they are likely partnerships where the money guy has a sizable portion of the financial responsibility and therefore the profits.

• Love 1

Ebony has a terrible attitude.   I don't really like teachers let Chelsea, but I felt that Ebony picked a fight over a non issue.   I saw that she was on Tik Tok as the "Twerking Chef"....which explains a lot.   Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I feel like she expects to get by because she's pretty.   Even the judges kept bringing up her bad attitude and inability to take constructive criticism.   The eye rolling and lip smacking brings to mind a very nasty stereotype.   Maybe they should remind her that it's a cooking competition, not Baller Wives.   That scene with Chelsea was mean and uneccesary.   I hope she loses big.

I'm team Kevin all the way.   He's by far the best candidate.   Chelsea is annoying, Cayton or whatever his name is a total douche.   Phil is nice but he shouldn't have left.   I wonder who chose these candidates out of the thousands that applied.    Some of them are completely unqualified

• Love 1

I'm finding much of this show phony.  Example................ Near the beginning of last night's episode, the cooks were gathered listening to some instructions.  In the first shot, Eboni had her back to the camera and her long (fake) hair was hanging straight down her back.  I was wondering why they didn't make her tie it back when the camera angle switched so she was facing it and her hair was up.  Then, in the next shot, her hair was down again but some of it had been used as sort of a curtain tie-back.  There's no way she changed her hair style twice in a few minutes while a mentor was speaking.  

In the first episode when Guy came in to meet the candidates, one of the first things he did was tell Chelsea he liked her blue hair and tattoos.  In front of the other candidates.  Big HR fail but made for TV.  Personally, I'd never hire anyone who looks like that for a management position but then, I'm not hip.

I also doubt that a candidate pulled out his cell phone and checked a text while on the line right in front of the people evaluating him.  That seemed really contrived.

And I don't believe that all those people went to their rooms to study all night (last week) and showed up in the morning with all kinds of props.  Where and when did they get them?

Humbug.

• Love 1

I agree that there is s a lot of weird stuff going on. I wonder how much covid affected production? Three contestants have expressed reservations over participating and one of them actually left. 

20 hours ago, mlp said:

Near the beginning of last night's episode, the cooks were gathered listening to some instructions.  In the first shot, Eboni had her back to the camera and her long (fake) hair was hanging straight down her back.  I was wondering why they didn't make her tie it back when the camera angle switched so she was facing it and her hair was up.

In addition, her talking heads featured two more hairstyles. 

Kevin FTW. He improves when given constructive criticism. He has the attention to detail which is so important when you are a franchisee, and he seems to understand that the restaurant prize is Guy's, not his.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, Ciarrai said:

Eboni drops lower in my estimation every time she's on screen. And she was already subterranean.

She's so beyond toxic. I get it: She's on this self-help-fueled thing where she endlessly needs to go on and on about how "incredible" she is and how "awful" everyone else is. But, she keeps talking about all these "amazing" jobs she had. If they were so great though, why in heaven's name did she quit them to run a chain chicken place? Did she get fired? I can imagine how that would have happened, her being the way she is.

Any Fieri show is going to be a circus, a sideshow, with a freak show added to just push the whole thing as far over the top as possible. But this thing sometimes seems more like a telenovela than another Food Network game show.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Didn't Eboni say she quit a great job to compete?  For me it's a toss-up who is more irritating -- Eboni or Chelsea.  I've worked with "Chelsea's" and it was a nightmare.

Yes.

One of the things that is off-putting about the show is that they clearly put an emphasis on casting for a reality show, not to find a long term business partner. I wonder what the trainers the contestants worked with thought about them. They are probably more qualified than any contestant.

That's why I'm picking Kevin for the win. No drama competency. (I'm convinced that he only told Guy about his sister because of prodding from a producer.)

• Love 3

Ebony is straight out of Reality Show Central Casting.  It's kinda like when Arnold was getting his memory trip in Total Recall:  "43C Ernie!"  

I love how everyone keeps wanting to drop out of this show.   You can tell Guy is pissed that anyone would ever snub him and this !awesome! opportunity he's giving them.   He so wanted to tell Phil piss off but then they're running so low on contestants they had to let him go home and come back.  That whole situation was sketchy to being with.   This show is only supposed to be two weeks in real time.  Did he not have his time off planned for those two weeks?   What was he expecting?   

I'm sure this is like Food Network Star where they know the winner going in and the rest are there just for reality hijinks and to provide contestants for future GGG / FN shows.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m watching Guy’s Grocery Games, and who is competing? 4 chefs from this show. I don’t remember their names, but is Eboni, the army guy, the food truck guy, and the blue haired woman. Can I assume that one of these four will eventually win “the chance of a lifetime”?

• Love 2

I wonder if phil had to go home to work because he is a dispatcher.  Maybe covid hit and there was no one else to work.  It's not like a business that could work short.   I'm a nurse and would never be able to take enough time off to compete in a show. And that's even before all the shortages from covid.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, mlp said:

Was Ebony on Master Chef a few seasons ago?  I remember a woman who looked like her and was just as impressed with herself and just as abrasive

Yes. I knew she looked familiar from another reality cooking show. It must have been Master Chef where she (as you so well stated) was very impressed with herself. Clearly, she still is. I'm not. I hope she doesn't win. 

ETA: When she was on MC she had her hair pulled up in a very tight top knot and a 4 foot fake braid attached (to her arrogance)

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I wonder if phil had to go home to work because he is a dispatcher.  Maybe covid hit and there was no one else to work.  It's not like a business that could work short.   I'm a nurse and would never be able to take enough time off to compete in a show. And that's even before all the shortages from covid.

My remembrance is that he had shifts that he had to cover. And the one he had to go home to do was one of his shifts that he did not have covered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes. I knew she looked familiar from another reality cooking show. It must have been Master Chef where she (as you so well stated) was very impressed with herself. Clearly, she still is. I'm not. I hope she doesn't win. 

ETA: When she was on MC she had her hair pulled up in a very tight top knot and a 4 foot fake braid attached (to her arrogance)

The woman on MC was the massive braid was Shanika.

I hate that I know that.

• LOL 3

I'm starting to not want any of these people to win. Eboni, just no. Phil signed off on that grade school looking menu. Chelsea acting like because she worships Guy, should be handed the win. Cayton not able to take some constructive criticism. Chase, I'm OK with but it's hard to take him seriously. Kevin has me going back and forth. He'll say things that make him sound like an egotistical  jerk and he looks pissed all the time. And then he'll smile.

• Love 4

They really needed to do psychological evaluations on these contestants before they put them on this show. Chelsea and Cayton both had meltdowns in Episode 4 in Branson, Missouri. They both completely came apart when Fieri rightly criticized their not being able to run the kitchen like they were supposed to.

Plus, the editing, as usual, was odd. They left the last team off until next week. And, in the same episode, it sounds like they're going on to Nashville?

• Love 4