Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

• Start Topic

Discuss all things season 6 here. Designers and episodes listed below.

Originally aired from August 20, 2009 - November 19, 2009

Designers:

• Althea Harper
  • Ari Fish
  • Carol Hannah Whitfield
  • Christopher Straub
  • Gordana Gelhausen
  • Irina Shabayeva
  • Johnny Sakalis
  • Logan Neitzel
  • Louise Black
  • Malvin Vien
  • Mitchell Hall
  • Nicolas Putvinski
  • Qristyl Frazier
  • Ra'mon Lawrence
  • Rodney Epperson
  • Shirin Askari

Episodes (TVDB):

1. All-Star Special
  2. Welcome to Los Angeles
  3. We Expect Fashion
  4. Rumble on the Runway
  5. What a Woman Wants
  6. Fashion Headliners
  7. Lights, Camera, Sew!
  8. The Sky is the Limit
  9. A Fashionable New Beginning
  10. Sequins, Feathers and Fur, Oh My!
  11. Around the World in Two Days
  12. The Best of the Best
  13. The Art of Fashion
  14. Finale

I remember more than I thought I would.  Althea was tall and blonde and a finalist.  Carol Hannah was blonde and a finalist, but shorter.  She was from South Carolina. She and Nicolas (from Russia or Belarus or Ukraine) had a bit of a thing going.  He was the funny Russian of the season. Christopher and Ramon were both from Minnesota, although I think Ramon was living in Milwaukee or Chicago at the time.  Christopher was from Shakopee and lived at home.  I think he won the first challenge.  He cried, too.  Ra'mon was from north Minneapolis, worked as a designer for Kohl's and is infamous for the green neoprene "frog" dress.  I remember him cracking up over that dress. I don't remember Johnny or Louise, but remember Logan a  little bit.   Rodney was an older (in his 40s) cool guy with dredlocks (I think) and may have been 4th place.  He was a good designer.Shirin was Persian and for some reason she was associated with birds, either she was birdlike or one of her designs had something to do with birds. The cast was young, I think Gordana and Rodney were the two oldest and the rest in their twenties.

Louise was an awesome flapper who made awesome flapper clothes and got cut way too early.  I thought Malvin (who had a great little "this dude is weird" moment where he had wrapped himself in a curtain, eating an apple) was also cut way too early--they violated the usual "weird over boring" Project Runway rule and eliminated all the weirdos right away.  Once they booted Shirin I said, "I've had enough of this" and stopped watching PR for years.

I think it was actually Logan that Carol Hannah had a crush on.  He was seriously gorgeous and lasted way, way longer than he should have, probably for that reason.

ETA I found a picture of Logan being sexy and and Malvin in the curtain:

runway601img1.jpg

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 2

I'm actually quite fond of this season. It gets a lot of flack but I thought it had some decent contenders and some fun challenges (like the newspapers outfit and movie genre costume).

Nicolas was a lot of fun (and inventor if Irina's nickname), Logan and Carol Hannah's flirt was cute, Shirin, Epperson, Gordana and Louise were all talented and interesting to watch. Shirin and Louise were both cut way too early.

Irina was easily the best tho which didn't make the season that exciting, and honestly I think she's up there among the most talented winners with Christian, Leanne, Jay and Seth Aaron. She might have deserved being called Meana but at least she had reason to be confident. I thought of her as more no-nonsense than mean and her "meanness" was really nothing compared to many other hideous past designers. She should have gone to the finals in her All Stars season.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Irina was easily the best tho which didn't make the season that exciting, and honestly I think she's up there among the most talented winners with Christian, Leanne and Seth Aaron. She might have deserved being called Meana but at least she had reason to be confident. I thought of her as more no-nonsense than mean and her "meanness" was really nothing compared to many other hideous past designers. She should have gone to the finals in her All Stars season.

This. I think Irina got the mean girl edit, in part, because there weren't any true villains on her season. She also made what I consider to be one of the best finale collections in the history of Project Runway:

a8f4a14265f8ff50dce62e52e358c1ed.jpg

I still think it's a shame that Gordana is the only fourth place-finisher who did not get to show at fashion week, especially when they had seven decoys for S7. 

Compared to most other seasons where I struggle to find anybody to root for, I actually loved a lot of this season's designers: Carol Hannah, Gordana, Ra'mon, Epperson and Shirin were made of win. I also really liked Louise, and in hindsight, found Logan very underrated by the judges. Irina was also a great enough designer that I can look past her lobotomized Regina George schtick.

Where the season completely went off the rails is the screwy elimination order. Epperson and Shirin remain the most robbed contestants the show's ever screwed over. The weekly maltreatment of Gordana was uncomfortable to watch, culminated by her elimination for one of the season's strongest designs. Finally, watching Christopher blubber his way to the bottom five consecutive weeks before finally being eliminated on his sixth was a complete travesty.

As has been pointed out to death, Not!Mood resulted in a barrage of black dresses on the runway that became so tiresome and dull that this almost won a challenge.

I did, however, love a considerable handful of the designs. My favorites include Epperson's Country-Western, Shirin's Maternitywear, Carol Hannah's Christina Aguilera, Irina's Aspen, Gordana's NYC and Getty Inspiration, and Logan's Newspaper and Christina Aguilera.

(I also thought Ra'mon's Sci-Fi look was kind of cool, and thought his elimination was bullshit. He was also smoking hot, so maybe I am biased).

• Love 1

I actually think this season was sort of alright, which is weird, because I didn't think it was that great while I was watching. Most of the top 10 were pretty great, but then the really great ones went home and people like Christopher stayed around for some inexplicable reason. I also thought Heidi had a pretty obvious hate-on for Gordana, which made me mildly uncomfortable. But yeah, aside from that, solid group of people.

I completely agree about Irina and that she completely deserved the win. Like Christian Siriano, I also thought her slight arrogance was completely justified, because she was the best and she was well aware of it. She had the skills to back up her words, and I can't hate on that. For the most part, I agreed with her.

And I thought it was laughable that her and Seth Aaron weren't consistently in the top in All Stars 3, as though the judges were trying to keep it a secret that they were heads and shoulders above everyone else. I couldn't believe she went out before the finale.

I've never really grasped the Irina appeal (or Christian's for that matter), though I suspect I quit watching before she really started knocking them out of the park.  But I think part of the reason she's gone down as being so great is that, like @Oholibamah said, the boot order was nutso and so a lot of her best competition was out quickly.  Or maybe I'm just not the Irina audience.

I remember this is the one where they had the Models of the Runway show after the real show!  There was one girl, Kojii, who I think worked with Logan mostly; she was Irish, older than most of the models (had a kid), sang in a band, and she was soooooooo cooooooooool.  They should have just ignored all the other models and made it the Kojii show.

• Love 1

I didn't like this season much. Shirin and Ra'mon were my early favorites and, well, we saw what happened, and while she was a good designer - and the Aspen coat was insanely good - I disliked Irina so much that I took no joy in her victory. The relocation from NYC seemed to rob the show of its relevance and energy, and Faux-Mood was like no Mood at all.

But the worst part for me was Heidi's inexplicable vendetta against Gordana, who I thought was very talented. I love Heidi, and her nastiness to Gordana was completely mystifying to me. Anyone have any knowledge of this? Did Gordana run over Heidi's dog? Sleep with her husband? Spurn her in a past life?

• Love 1

I'm rewatching this season on Youtube.  I started with the newspaper challenge which I believe was episode 5.  That's where Tim said something along the lines of "Johnny spewing preposterous...."  It was a classic line.  Tim pretty much told him his design sucked, so Johnny started over yet gave some bull excuse on the runway that the iron sputtered water all over his original design and ruined it.  My favorite design of the season was Epperson's western dress which should have won.  Loved Iriana's Aspen look and many others.  It was a low-key season and Heidi flat out HATED Gordana and was borderline bitchy to others.  Wonder if she was having personal problems?  And The Duchess was missing from most of the judging panels.

This season was Okay, but  I agree about Shirin being eliminated wayyyyy too early. I thought she was so talented, and I actually really liked the dress she was sent home for (It was rather goth/costumey, but that's totally my thing).

And yes, Logan was hotttttttttttt. 

• Love 1

I've never really grasped the Irina appeal (or Christian's for that matter), though I suspect I quit watching before she really started knocking them out of the park.  But I think part of the reason she's gone down as being so great is that, like @Oholibamah said, the boot order was nutso and so a lot of her best competition was out quickly.  Or maybe I'm just not the Irina audience.

I remember this is the one where they had the Models of the Runway show after the real show!  There was one girl, Kojii, who I think worked with Logan mostly; she was Irish, older than most of the models (had a kid), sang in a band, and she was soooooooo cooooooooool.  They should have just ignored all the other models and made it the Kojii show.

ha! i figured out how to quote now, excellent. i remember that models of the runway show. i'll admit a part of me liked it, because it showcased the models and allowed us to get to know them slightly (kinda like season 1). i also remember another model on that show had a crush on logan. not that i blame her, i definitely thought he was hot as well. didn't a guest judge say something like that to him when he was in the bottom 3, like "yeah, you're really cute and..." something else? lol i might have to watch the season on youtube, like PaulaO is doing, i havent watched it since its initial run all those years ago.

Oholibama, I agreed with everything you said, but this, 1000 times yes:

(I also thought Ra'mon's Sci-Fi look was kind of cool, and thought his elimination was bullshit. He was also smoking hot, so maybe I am biased).

Nicolas was hilarious and I remember enjoying his commentary.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay