Type keyword(s) to search

Wolf Like Me - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wolf Like Me is a six, half-hour episode  romantic dramedy series being released on Peacock with all episodes dropping at the same time on January 13, 2022.

image-4.jpg

Wolf Like Me is produced by Jodi Matterson, Bruna Papandrea and Steve Hutensky. Wolf Like Me is written and directed by Abe Forsythe and is inspired by his own experiences searching for love as a single parent. The series was filmed in New South Wales Australia. 
image-1.jpg

Gary, played by Josh Gad, is a single father, a widower, and an emotional wreck, struggling to support his 11 year old daughter Emma, played by Ariel Donoghue.

NUP_196229_00052.jpg

While also attempting to start a relationship with Mary, played by Isla Fisher, who has a major secret - one that she can not tell anyone. 

NUP_196229_00062.jpg
image-3.jpg
image.jpg

But the universe brought these two together for a reason, they just need to keep following the signs. As their love connection deepens, and their universes collide, Mary and Gary grow more and more terrified their respective baggage will tear them apart.
NUP_196006_00005.jpg

The rest of the cast: Emma Lung plays Sarah and Anthony Taufa plays Ray, with guest stars Jake Ryan, Robyn Nevin and Nash Edgerton.

• Love 1

Episode 1-6 Descriptions (Major Spoilers) All episodes released January 13, 2022

Spoiler

S01.E01: Episode 1
Gary can't connect with his daughter Emma when the mysterious Mary changes their world.
As a widower, Gary struggles to connect with his 11-year-old daughter Emma. When he meets the mysterious Mary, it might be a sign that their universe is about to change, if Mary's dark secret doesn't tear them apart first.
xS3KAd1FaZTj2rRYnckICe3enCH.jpg

S01.E02: Episode 2
Gary bumps into Mary and asks why she ran; Mary has baggage he couldn’t possibly understand.
After a near tragedy with Emma, Gary bumps into Mary again and shares his darkest moments as a father. When Mary disappears, Gary chases her and learns about her baggage.
hTdD85c6cUiogdXvcgnwALJI87J.jpg

S01.E03: Episode 3
Mary faces a terrified Gary and tells him her full story and what really happened to her husband.
Mary emerges from the basement to face a terrified Gary and tells him her full story and what really happened to her husband. Mary is convinced the universe is trying to tell them something, but Gary doesn't want to hear it.
AdbLTfgxdK1W6glG9PSFPyK9V5R.jpg

S01.E04: Episode 4
Mary fears Gary will reveal her secret; Gary can’t deny the connection Emma has formed with Mary.
Emma invites Mary over for dinner; Mary is terrified Gary will reveal her secret. Gary can't deny the connection Emma has formed with Mary.
9zhgAYSQIJ0FT9BBM0CCB5X0tpg.jpg

S01.E05: Episode 5
Finally together, Gary and Mary go on a camping trip to tell Emma Mary’s secret.
Gary and Mary take off on a camping trip to break the news of Mary's secret to Emma. Mary discovers she is pregnant and fears what may be growing inside her.
j2rN07GyP87Ju4X9JzVBz6Dg8RD.jpg

S01.E06: Episode 6
Stuck in the Australian outback with a full moon approaching, Gary and Emma face Mary’s wolf within.
During a weekend camping trip in the Australian outback, Gary and Mary prepare to tell Emma that Mary is a werewolf. When their car battery dies and the full moon approaches, Mary must run to protect her new family from the wolf within.

u3OKzR26v8OeiZues7cdKIsKpYB.jpg

I'm on episode 1. Wondering if she is really a werewolf or just thinks she is.

Also why couldn't she eat in the italien restaurant? I noticed garlic hanging there, but she's not a vampire, she's a wolf, right?

Okay, I guess the italian restaurant question was more about psychology than physiology. If I had eaten an italien family, I'd probably not go to an italian restaurant again, either.

Good show.

I'm probably forever be curious what happens to that baby. Can it survive the transformation? Will it be a werewolf? Or something else entirely? Sad that we will never get answers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

This show was nice, but only 6 episodes? That's way too little. Watched it anyway but I wish it was at least 10.

Ep 1 & 2: It's interesting that Harry doesn't notice how toxic / harmful his constant and unwavering fussing over his daughter is. He is always worrying about her and that sort of treatment makes the child nervous, of course she doesn't want to talk to him. This is the kind of stuff that should be revealed in therapy, but seems like the daughter doesn't feel comfortable about opening up to her psychiatrist.

Ep 3: Even though this series is marked as a comedy, I had to wait for the third episode for a humorous moment. But when it came, it was nice: when werewolf lady mentioned that guys never notice the dressing habits of women! Other than that, Harry definitely gives too much decision making power to his daughter and it's painfully obvious that that is not what she needs at the moment.

Ep 6: The wolf reveal was satisfying, if drawn-out. And the ending was good. The series told it's story concisely in 6 episodes so I guess this could be it, and we might get more episodes if it does well on streaming but yeah it also works as an one-off.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1

I was distracted by the fact that Gary's car was drivable and that he apparently never got it fixed.  Also, Gary needed therapy as much as Emma.

How did these people pay their bills?  No one apparently worked.  I thought Mary was volunteering at the nursing home.  Adding that security must have cost some $$.  Maybe Dead Eaten Husband left her a bunch of money.

The performances were good (even the kid) but I was bored through some of it.    Gary's insistence on telling Emma when he and Mary had only been dating a few months was annoying.  What's the rush?  What if you broke up in a year?  Why does Mary take a bath and not a shower?  Couldn't she put a shower in if she doesn't have one?  That would be better than sitting in a tub full of bloody water.  

I did laugh that she only picks the old and sick chickens.  Poor chickens.

Eh, it could have been better.  The fact that I was constantly distracted by goofy details isn't a good sign.

Hey, I know!  Let's go camping the day before the full moon!  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I liked the show, I guess because it was fairly easy to understand and the episodes were really short. I liked the way this writer creates characters (especially the lady at the beginning Gary was on a date with, she melted down beautifully) and makes sure the story is logical and coherent. It is weird how prosaic Mary's speeches are when she is in advice columnist mode and how blandly she speaks normally. Emma was a little much, but I guess that was the point. I found the music a little annoying, (not something I would listen to) I am guessing that wasn't supposed to be the plan. The two main characters being forced together bothered me the most, it seemed so contrived, the multiple car crashes, the only time they ever see each other is on the day of a full moon. The first car crash was pretty impressive, continuing to drive the wreaked car really bothered me, all the way up until the end where they didn't even attempt to cover up or clean up what just happened. I was really hoping he would get his car fixed or replaced and that we saw him paying to restore the restaurant of that nice Italian family who had been there for 60 years. Instead we see them eating at a completely different restaurant. I really like the fact that there are $500 birds just sitting around in the trees and that they didn't try to cover up the fact that they were in Australia, even though they could have easily pretended to be in any other country. The biggest giveaway was what side of the car the steering wheel is on.

5 hours ago, raven said:

How did these people pay their bills?  No one apparently worked.  I thought Mary was volunteering at the nursing home.  Adding that security must have cost some $$.  Maybe Dead Eaten Husband left her a bunch of money.

Mary said that she was an advice columnist for (newspapers?), so she could do her job from anywhere. I am not sure why Mary is a vegan, she did say that eating meat that was already dead while a werewolf made her feel sick when she changed back. I guess there is still plenty of story to explore if they wanted to do another season and channel "Santa Clarita Diet" for plot ideas.

A very breezy and quick watch. I am normal cool towards Josh Gad but I found him engaging in this.

Since others are posting their nitpick, mine was how bewildering it was that Isla Fisher, an actual Aussie, was playing an American in Australia. I guess it was so Mary couldn't have any connections but she could have been from another part of Australia and moved to evade her old life.

• Love 4

I liked this series overall. But I do have a few questions.

Mary was bitten on the arm by a wolf while backpacking in Prague. Why didn't the wolf eviscerate her? Was it a wolf just doing a drive-by biting to initiate someone else into the wolf pack? Is her baby with Gary going to be a wolf too?

I loved the scene in the Outback when Mary took down the marauders. Her love for Gary and Emma kept her from acting on her primal instincts to kill them. That said, going forward, Gary might want to keep a gun loaded with a silver bullet.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I liked this series overall. But I do have a few questions.

Mary was bitten on the arm by a wolf while backpacking in Prague. Why didn't the wolf eviscerate her? Was it a wolf just doing a drive-by biting to initiate someone else into the wolf pack? Is her baby with Gary going to be a wolf too?

I loved the scene in the Outback when Mary took down the marauders. Her love for Gary and Emma kept her from acting on her primal instincts to kill them. That said, going forward, Gary might want to keep a gun loaded with a silver bullet.

Well, we can't know for sure until the show answers these questions, but if we go by typical werewolf folklore, then:

Was it a wolf just doing a drive-by biting to initiate someone else into the wolf pack?

Yes. Or she was "special" in some way so the wolf decided to spare her.

Is her baby with Gary going to be a wolf too?

Yes.

I stuck with it but I can't say it ever really won me over. It has an interesting premise that could have been explored in many different ways but instead it went with nonsensical decision-making (camping 200km from town the night before a full moon) to drive the plot. And the writer clearly thinks his taste in music is something special, that interminable last scene must have a been fun to direct

"ok you look at her"

"now you look at him"

"now look back at her"

"now look outside"

"now look at her again"

cut to drone shot

6 minutes later... Fin

Also not a fan of Josh Gad.

Edited by pfk505
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj9Be-hP5H2/

joshgad

Verified

That’s a wrap on Season 2 or #wolflikeme🐺 and man are you all in for a wild ride. @abeforsythe has delivered such an inspired return to this world.

I cannot wait for you all to see what me, my brilliant partner in crime @islafisher , our incredible little leading lady @arieldonoghue , our amazing cast additions and our fearless producers, @madeupstories @jodimatterson @brunapapandrea have in store.

Until then, watch the space. 🐺🐺🐺🐺 @peacocktv @stanaustralia

• Like 1

Wolf Like Me Season 2     October 19, 2023       Peacock 

all 7 Episodes released at the same time

Mary (Isla Fisher) and Gary (Josh Gad) leap into the next phase of their relationship and face their biggest challenge yet: pregnancy. As much as they try to have a “normal” pregnancy, it seems impossible with so many questions looming over them. Will their child be a baby or a wolf pup? Just how long can they keep things secret from the rest of their family? And will what happened in the outback come back to haunt them? But when Mary’s former professor, Anton (Edgar Ramirez), suddenly reappears in her life, new secrets from Mary’s past are revealed, leaving Mary and Gary to question whether they’re even meant to be together.

wolf-like-me-season-2-isla-fisher-4.jpg

Edgar Ramirez as Anton, Mary's former professor

wolf-like-me-season-2-isla-fisher-3.jpg

wolf-like-me-season-2-josh-gad-2.jpg

• Love 1

Wolf Like Me Season 2     October 19, 2023       Peacock     

Episodes 1-7        Titles and Descriptions  

Spoiler

S02.E01: Episode 1
bRNKvIN5Ri7t9il9BWN8js2Oaph.jpg
Mary and Gary wonder if they can ever be "normal parents" when they need to werewolf-proof their basement; on top of their existing parenthood worries, they're concerned about the species of their future baby.

S02.E02: Episode 2
61YJU4qRNOfcrs7CFi8nr87zQwt.jpg
Things could get hairy as a full moon approaches; Mary must transform while heavily pregnant, testing the limits of the new basement door; as a precaution, Emma spends the night at her aunt's house.

S02.E03: Episode 3
olTOWzXwO84zxfb65pjDNbpRwkX.jpg
The wolf didn't attack Emma and Gary while they were in the car in the outback and doesn't recognize them during a rampage through the house; when Gary meets a normal woman, the mother of Emma's new best friend, Mary gives him an easy out.

S02.E04: Episode 4
dDIHZCdQdBIYnczg73NH0BU0Zjg.jpg
Mary's former professor Anton shows up, threatening the precarious balance and revealing something that complicates things even further; as a second full moon rises, Mary contemplates letting her wolf run free while stuck in the basement with Anton.

S02.E05: Episode 5
ffyL5b5rYAAC3V3bgrM9en7nKBR.jpg
In the aftermath of Mary and Anton's brief but significant encounter as wolves, Gary confronts his rival; Gary thinks it's a sign from the universe when he crashes into who he thinks is the same person who fatefully brought him and Mary together.

S02.E06: Episode 6
gGaLEJgNINWcGusTFfDUjkJaQRR.jpg
At the eight-month mark, Gary has the birth plan mapped out and all the couple needs is zero stress until after the full moon; when the cops call asking questions about a double homicide, Mary's water breaks.

S02.E07: Episode 7
fkNJ0L2GV1cbQKIzfy4kHB2h6Qo.jpg
(Season Finale)
A maternity ward is the worst possible place for Mary to be on a full moon; when an emergency C-section is ordered and the cops show up, there's no other option for Mary, Gary and their imminent baby or wolf but to run.

EP1: Well, the show certainly does a good job of conveying the suspense / worry the parents feel about how their child will turn out. And that really is the main focus at this point. I really liked how Mary handled the situation in the principal's office and how she put that rich lady in her place. That was very cool.

EP2: When the episode opened with a white rabbit, I already knew that by the end of the episode, he was gonna be a goner. The show did a great job of building the suspense with Gary stuck in the house, even though realistically, with him being the main character of the show I knew no real harm was going to come to him in EP2  of the new season.

• Like 1

EP 1: Seems like if Mary was giving birth to a wolf, it would have changed back and forth in utero during the full moons and she would know already. That said, I'm betting that she'll have one - there's a lot more to do with that plotline than there would be with another human. 

I bought the wedding misdirect until she started bleeding and then I knew it was somebody's dream. As soon as the ultrasound went haywire, I knew we were being faked out again.  

Mary's advice about rip tides was wrong. If you go with the flow, you're going to get pulled right TF out into the ocean. At least on this side of the world, you swim parallel to the shore until you're out of it, then you make your way in. Maybe the tides behave differently in Australia, but I don't think so.

Did anyone else notice the wolf topiary in front of Mary's house? It was in the first exterior shot, but the camera panned over it fairly slowly in the last one at the end of the show.

• Love 1

EP4: I don't really remember what Gary does for work. We see he has some sort of corporate job where he is mean to his co-workers, but I was surprised when he could pay out 25 000 for a door just like that, no thoughts about it. Guess he is very rich. I am not happy about Anton showing up, it is so typical and stupid how he is here to represent a different philosophical approach about accepting and celebrating your wolf self. And of course they had to make Mary cheat on Gary with him, but it's okay because they did it as wolves...come on now. Wasn't there any other storyline they could have thought of? Stupid. And clichée!!

EP5: Well, I liked that Mary told Anton to leave and leave her alone. Hopefully that is the end of this (stupid) storyline. There is enough drama in the show without including a love triangle. It was funny when Gary thought the homeless guy had some deep insight! Poor thing. I did like how he held his own when Anton tried to insult him. The scene was a little cringe, but overall I am rooting for our public safety hazard guy. And the end scene when he and Mary came back together, presumably stronger than ever was so sweet. I hope they can move on from this incident.

EP7: Through watching these episodes I kept thinking that they should just have a stun gun. They could shoot Mary when she turns into a wolf and then a whole lot of this destruction and dangerous situations could be tempered, like when Gary had to enter the room while Mary was a wolf.

Overall season thoughts: Well, it was good and I was entertained, although out of 7 episodes, Gary was a colossal jerk to random strangers in at least 5 episodes, which I did not like, even in the final episode he just stole the ambulance and they drove through so many restricted areas. After a while it's just not cool.

On another hand, I don't know how much life the show can have in it's current format. It is a good and engaging story, but it doesn't seem to be booming in popularity and I get why, releasing just 7 episodes per year makes it hard to bond with the characters or really care about them, and there is a lot of potential in the show's concept, it could easily go for at least 13-15 episodes per season, maybe even with a weekly airing format, I think it would work for this one. I will be surprised if it is renewed for season 3, but also if it is, I am sure that will be the final one because the available content is just very minimal.