Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Flight of the Bumblebee

Pallas
  • Start Topic

What is madness and what is divine? While in triage after a vicious attack, the Yellowjackets are left to suss out the best of their worst ideas. Shauna dabbles in some light cyberstalking.

• Love 1

So Van lives. Yea? Poor thing almost burned alive.

RIP Laura Lee. Teddy Bear catching fire was weird, but I'm sure there's an explanation that doesn't involve Misty. She looked as shocked as the others.

Shauna was supremely stupid for keeping all those journals in a cheap safe. What was she going to do, publish them upon her death?

• Love 7

So, he is the one blackmailing them, or is it another fake-out? 

Natalie is cold. Wow. I wonder what we will found out about Travis' bank account. 

Poor Laura Lee. 

Oh, I forgot about Misty snorting up the drugs. LMAO. She is so impulsive. 

Jackie acting more like a queen bee prom queen again. I know she has reason to be upset, but that was cold, too. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 7

No, Laura Lee! Just when she was turning into a badass. I loved her asking Coach what he was gonna do to stop her from flying the plane. You could see the other girls instantly gain so much respect for her.

Nat and Coach's little talk was nice. Poor guy was so shocked when she casually mentioned his sexuality! Teen Nat was so cool, though -- clearly observant, but not for manipulative reasons like Jackie.

Meanwhile, Jackie seems to be getting back to her Mean Girl self, outing Shauna's pregnancy and Nat's hookup. She'll likely make a play for Travis soon.

I figured Van was still alive (because of some unaired promo scenes), but they made me doubt myself at the start of the episode when the girls were about to burn her body! That's twice now she's narrowly escaped death by fire.

I don't think Adam dropped the glitter in the closet. Wouldn't Shauna have noticed glitter on him by that point? It was the morning after, after all. Wouldn't it have been in the bed? I'm much more suspicious of her husband, who is suddenly buying her an expensive outfit despite their money troubles...

Speaking of Adam... how on earth does he think a getaway in the woods would be a good idea for Shauna?

Shauna's daughter is an asshole, but at least she has the sense to Google Adam, something Shauna should have done the second she knew his name.

Misty snorting Nat's coke (and covering Nat's mouth so she couldn't breathe any in!) was the highlight of the episode. Christina Ricci just keeps killing it. 

I'm still not convinced there's anything supernatural happening on this show. Sleepwalking, old abandoned planes catching fire, hallucinations of wolves and ghosts... this is all stuff that can and does happen. I won't be angry if it does get explicitly supernatural, but I like how it is now, vague and sinister.

• Like 2
  • Love 21

O.M.G. This episode had my stomach in knots from start to finish. 

So, who the hell is Adam? Is he some sort of con artist/heist man? Remember that story he told about the bank safe in NYC? Maybe he wasn't moving it, but stealing it. I have a feeling Pratt wasn't the only thing he lied about. He claimed to be from Texas, but previously told Shauna he moved to New Jersey to "get back to his roots." Oh, boy, this is going to end ugly, isn't it? 

Who else teared up when Misty freaked out, apologizing to Caligula? Misty is crazy, sneaky and sadistic yet you still sorta feel bad for her. 

I know Jackie is rightfully pissed over Shauna and Jeff, but what an absolute bitch. I'm sick of her slut shaming Nat, and notice how Travis was comforting her when the plane blew up. I think we all know where this is gonna go....

I thought the scene where Laura Lee challenged Coach Scott was chilling. That moment when he realized pulling "I'm the adult" doesn't mean shit anymore. He's outnumbered and disabled. His status in the pack is going to rapidly dwindle.

Poor Laura Lee. That was brave of her to try, but launching a plane that's a decade past due for routine maintenance was never going to end well. Lottie doesn't realize she foreshadowed Laura's death during the baptism.

And Tai totally killed Biscuit. 

• Love 19
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

So, who the hell is Adam? Is he some sort of con artist/heist man? Remember that story he told about the bank safe in NYC? Maybe he wasn't moving it, but stealing it. I have a feeling Pratt wasn't the only thing he lied about. He claimed to be from Texas, but previously told Shauna he moved to New Jersey to "get back to his roots." Oh, boy, this is going to end ugly, isn't it? 

I definitely detected a non-Texas (or Jersey for that matter) accent on Adam this episode. The actor Peter Gadiot is British (of Mexican/Dutch parentage) so that may help explain it? 

I was hoping Laura Lee would take the chance to jump out of the plane since she was over water, but not so much.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Anela said:

So, he is the one blackmailing them, or is it another fake-out? 

Fake out imo. It’s totally Jeff behind the blackmail. Remember, he took his clothes off when he came home and then Shauna threw them into the closet after Adam left. The glitter was from his clothes. Plus, him buying an expensive dress and being so chipper. It’s almost too obvious actually but I think the writers probably feel they’re just dropping little clues.

I am really sold on Adam being Javi since obviously he’s lying and shady but I am pretty confident he isn’t the blackmailer. He said he had an older brother, which could be him putting some truth into his story. Him just being some Yellowjackets stan is kinda dumb to me. Him being Javi has more impact.

Natalie continues to be my fave, both teen and adult. Juliette Lewis is killing it. 

Everything with adult Misty was amazing, as always.

I find Shauna boring as hell and am not as impressed with Melanie Lynskey as many are, but her phone call to Pratt and the ‘You’re about 3 months and my whole personality late,’ or whatever line were so good.

The Tai/Shauna scenes were good, too. I wonder what Tai did while sleepwalking? By the way they were acting, I feel like it has to be more than just the Van thing.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh also, so the girls just didn’t bother to check Van for a pulse before lighting her body on fire? I mean damn lol.

I'm gonna handwave that as Van being in such shock her pulse was too weak to be detected. Or Misty detected it, but her psycho ass wanted to light Van on fire anyways. One thing I will say though, is that the writers should stop with the fake-outs. Once, okay. Twice, getting a little far-fetched. A third time will be corny.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Imagine surviving a plane crash only to die in another one. What are the odds? That said, I'm sure there is some correlation between her near death experience at the pool, the other girls at the pool singing about the devil hunting you, and her untimely death.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Imagine surviving a plane crash only to die in another one. What are the odds? That said, I'm sure there is some correlation between her near death experience at the pool, the other girls at the pool singing about the devil hunting you, and her untimely death.

I don’t know the odds of both of those things happening, but as Laura Lee was getting into your plane I was 99.999% sure she wouldn’t make it far. She should have tried to jump out. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Van breaks all the odds. She:

1. Survives the initial plane crash (and is seen attempting to get her oxygen mask to deploy and never succeeding)

2. Almost being barbecued in the plane wreckage

3. A wolf attack

4.  Being set on fire a second time

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Speaking of Adam... how on earth does he think a getaway in the woods would be a good idea for Shauna?

I lol'd at this. Why yes, Adam, when a women is questioning whether everything you say about yourself is a lie, take her to some unfamiliar cabin, alone, with the guy she doesn't trust. Good plan!

• Like 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I lol'd at this. Why yes, Adam, when a women is questioning whether everything you say about yourself is a lie, take her to some unfamiliar cabin, alone, with the guy she doesn't trust. Good plan!

Not only that, but in the woods. Sure, she's going to feel super secure in a place that reminds her of her harrowing 19-month ordeal!

• Love 11

I knew when Misty ran out of the room she shouldn't have left Caligula downstairs. I'm just grateful the bird got away.

I was this close to hitting fast-forward on the scene where they were sewing up Van's face. That was torture to sit though, although I get that's the point. But I have to call BS on Van actually surviving that attack. You can't just sew up her face, it looked like half of it had been ripped off. I think the shock and blood loss alone would have killed her, certainly after spending the night in the forest.

I just had a feeling the plane was going to blow up, but I don't get what happened. Also, they did a crap job cleaning off the windshield. I don't know how Laura Lee could see anything through it.

I am really sold on Adam being Javi 

God I hope not, it's inconceivable she wouldn't recognize him. 

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I knew when Misty ran out of the room she shouldn't have left Caligula downstairs. I'm just grateful the bird got away.

I was this close to hitting fast-forward on the scene where they were sewing up Van's face. That was torture to sit though, although I get that's the point. But I have to call BS on Van actually surviving that attack. You can't just sew up her face, it looked like half of it had been ripped off. I think the shock and blood loss alone would have killed her, certainly after spending the night in the forest.

I just had a feeling the plane was going to blow up, but I don't get what happened. Also, they did a crap job cleaning off the windshield. I don't know how Laura Lee could see anything through it.

God I hope not, it's inconceivable she wouldn't recognize him. 

The plane probably had a leak in the fuel pump and that’s why it exploded as soon as it heated up. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4

While I enjoy watching the show there is really nothing happening.  Laura Lee's failed attempt was just about it in this episode. I don't like being strung along with the "who is Adam" storyline.  Even if he is Javi, so what? I think the show got too "This Is Us"-like with having multiple time periods.  The teen survival story line is interesting.  The adult story line just seems forced.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Cranberry said:

Not only that, but in the woods. Sure, she's going to feel super secure in a place that reminds her of her harrowing 19-month ordeal!

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

The funniest part was that Shauna wasn't even bothered by it. She seemed into it actually, just didn't know how she'd get away from the family. She's a nut lol.

Right?! When Shauna opened her closet I was like, "Holy shit, is this bitch seriously about to pack a bag and go?!" She's a tough lady, but she has no idea who Adam is or what he's capable of.

I'm starting to think the adults are going back to the woods. When Tai said achieving her goals didn't feel real, it made me wonder if the adrenaline rush of wilderness survival was so powerful that nothing in the real world can compare. I think there's a military term for it, but it's not coming to mind. Something about how soldiers can get addicted to combat. I think that's what's playing out here. 

41 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

Christina Ricci is killing it! I loved her rushing out to save Nat.

Misty covering Nat's mouth so she wouldn't inhale the coke cloud was hysterical. They're such a mess, but you can't look away. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Dminches said:

While I enjoy watching the show there is really nothing happening.  Laura Lee's failed attempt was just about it in this episode. I don't like being strung along with the "who is Adam" storyline.  Even if he is Javi, so what? I think the show got too "This Is Us"-like with having multiple time periods.  The teen survival story line is interesting.  The adult story line just seems forced.

There’s a lot happening interpersonally. A lot! The rifts between Jackie and Shauna, Jackie and Natalie, and Travis and Natalie are going to play a huge part in the story, IMO. And Van is alive!

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 17

Seeing Van's teeth through her cheek was rough. As to whether her injuries  were survivable or not, it's fiction, but also working in an ER made me realize people can survive some things they just logically, medically shouldn't be able to, even with a staff of experts working on them, and sometimes after not being found for awhile. So, I can let it go, even though it might not make sense. I like Van, so I want her to live (though it's still a very, very long shot). 

And I also hope someone checked her pulse, but even when I was an RN, it took awhile before I felt comfortable knowing someone was dead. You get better at it, but at first, I was only calling the physician to get them to come officially pronounce the patient, but you did not want to get it wrong, because some docs would take it out on your for a long time. It got easier, and as a hospice RN, I did the pronouncing, then called the funeral home. Thankfully, none of my patients even woke up in the funeral home or morgue but that's happened. 

Glitter truly is the herpes of the craft world, but it may help Shauna, so for once, go glitter! Not saying who left it there, but at least she's aware of one person it could be. 

If I'd been on that plane, I don't know if I'd ever be able to fly or go into the woods, even with people I trust. But I also might want to keep up the survival skills I learned so I could see killing the occasional bunny just to stay good at it (not that we know that's why Shauna did it, and I spend every day of bunny season enjoying seeing them eat our plants and lawn) and maybe she tests herself in other ways. Others might, too.  

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Darian said:

Seeing Van's teeth through her cheek was rough.

For once I am grateful for the fact that my tv is so damn dark because I didn’t see this at all lol.

Glitter truly is the herpes of the craft world, but it may help Shauna, so for once, go glitter! Not saying who left it there, but at least she's aware of one person it could be.

For it to be in the closet it pretty much has to be Adam, Jeff, or Callie.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Darian said:

That’s one reason I am not a big fan of celebrating Christmas. People give you cards, bows, etc., and use ornaments and decorations covered in glitter that ends up on everything.

• LOL 2

Shauna showing up alone to confront Adam after what she finds in the closet is some real horror movie “let’s all split up; I’ll investigate the creepy attic by myself” kind of logic. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Shauna showing up alone to confront Adam after what she finds in the closet is some real horror movie “let’s all split up; I’ll investigate the creepy attic by myself” kind of logic. 

Oh, and find a large book bound in human skin...oh, wait, that's "Evil Dead".

I was hoping Laura Lee would take the chance to jump out of the plane since she was over water, but not so much.

I was like "JUMP" because it also looked like she wasn't going to clear the hill in front of her. Leave the Teddy Bear!!!! 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

as Laura Lee was getting into your plane I was 99.999% sure she wouldn’t make it far.

Lizzo running a four minute mile and Aaron Rodgers being named the spokesperson for Pantene were more likely to happen than Laura Lee making it very far. 

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

For it to be in the closet it pretty much has to be Adam, Jeff, or Callie.

I was leaning towards Jeff. 

If it was Adam, would he have had time to break into the safe and get the journals?  He was only in the closet a few minutes.  He would have had to either know the code or done some serious prying.  Even if the safe wasn't exactly Fort Knox, I would doubt it could be broken into that easily.  It would have had to be Jeff or Callie who were both more likely to know (or correctly guess) the combination.  Maybe the blackmailer and the journal thief are two different people.  Jeff is the blackmailer and Callie took the journals.     

I don't think Adam is Javi.  Even as people age, their features don't change so dramatically (barring plastic surgery or some such) that someone you spent over a year with in a traumatic situation wouldn't recognize you.   But, wasn't it Javi who whittled the wooden figurine for Shauna?  Perhaps he had a crush on her back then?  And it would explain him being "artsy."  

22 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Christina Ricci just keeps killing it. 

This cannot be said enough.  I really hope she gets some Emmy consideration for this role.  Misty could easily be a caricature in lesser hands.  Misty truly is despicable, and probably a psychopath, but you still feel sorry for her.   Ricci somehow manages to find some humanity in her.  (And kudos to the actress playing the younger version as well.)

That said, I would hate to be the coach when Misty finds out the truth about his sexuality.   

• Love 10
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh also, so the girls just didn’t bother to check Van for a pulse before lighting her body on fire? I mean damn lol.

Her calm "Fire. Really?" cracked me up. Sheesh. Glad they heard her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

At that altitude she'd have died on impact--it only takes a few seconds to reach terminal, and having jumped into water from cliffs and also from planes, it does not take much height to get to a point where water may as well be concrete. I was kind of hoping she'd pop the door open (or a window--those old Cessnas often have a small window for airflow, but not always) and dump Leonard out. Also LOL that the bear's name is Leonard. But she had to focus on the controls, so I get that she wasn't thinking that clearly. I'm no pilot, but I think they should've wiped down the windows AND the fuselage before takeoff. I was impressed that they cleared a runway, though.

My money is on Adam being Travis's younger brother, or is that too obvious?

• Love 5

One thing I liked about this episode was we got some good exposition. 

We now know what Tai did post-rescue (Howard, college soccer, Columbia law, lucrative job), and that her sleepwalking is triggered by trauma.

Shauna's parents must've divorced when she was fairly young if she was still into Hello Kitty. Also, she was planning on attending Brown. I thought she turned them down, because she was afraid to lose her friendship with Jackie. The crash was late Spring, and Jackie was under the impression they were rooming together at Rutgers, so when was Shauna gonna tell her? I wonder if that subject was covered in her journal, in addition to the Jeff stuff. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Misty truly is despicable, and probably a psychopath, but you still feel sorry for her. 

I've loved Misty since her first appearance on the soccer field- she is spunky and quick to act, both qualities I admire tremendously. No shrinking violet or should I/shouldn't I/ analysis paralysis type BS in her world- she sees a problem and BAM! jumps right into action.

Sure, she is crazy but only a little bit, lol. Two degrees in the other direction she could easily move from crazy to merely "wildly eccentric."

At least if you stay on her good side!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

One thing that gets me is that if anything, Natalie's hair is blonder than it was when they crashed...yes, natural sun highlights, but no dark roots at all? 

The scene with Van was gnarly. So glad she woke up, but not sure if she's out of the woods. Yes, it was bad for Jackie to force Shauna to tell the others she's pregnant, but could use the medical help as well. Not that giving birth in the Canadian wilderness couldn't be done...

Sure, she is crazy but only a little bit, lol. Two degrees in the other direction she could easily move from crazy to merely "wildly eccentric."

I guess no one found out that she destroyed the black box. I watched all of Crossing Jordan and the last episode was of the main team in a plane crash but in the dead of winter and the black box broke. The were rescued the next day, but not after injuries and stuck in the wilderness and the cell didn't work, even as a transmitter. Not even sure why they were going somewhere in a small plane - all of them at one time!

It was pretty funny watching Misty running away and snorting up the coke from Natalie. I'll have to rewatch the later part because I was distracted. How far does she live from the motel? That was super quick! Seeing the two of them be together is marvelous. 

I like the Shauna/Tai relationship as well & nice to see them talking things out; and then seeing Tai talk to Simone, although I still kinda think that Simone has something to do with Tai feeling the way she does.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Destroying that pretty much made her the main villain to me of the series. They could have been rescued by now if she hadn't done that. Every bad thing that happens to the survivors is mostly her fault because of it. She's too much of a coward to ever admit to doing it, too. I don't see Misty as anything great, far from it. She's nothing but a scheming wannabe. None of the other survivors could stand her in '96, and none of the survivors can stand her in '21. I'm certain they have an infinite number of reasons, the fucking creep.

This. No idea how anyone can get past this.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

Natalie is cold. Wow. I wonder what we will found out about Travis' bank account. 

Eh I didn't see it as cold so much as pointing out that lady's hypocrisy, if she's still living a lie re:  her selling the info/breaking the law she's not really following the steps of sobriety and she's in no real moral position to say I can't help you because I might lose my job, no you played yourself honey, and she asked nicely and you made her bring out the threats. It would have been slightly worse if it was something her sponsor confessed but they literally did it together. Don't do crimes with addicts you can't trust, it will come back to bite ya.

Not only that, but in the woods. Sure, she's going to feel super secure in a place that reminds her of her harrowing 19-month ordeal

Well ostensibly he's not supposed to know who she is, she insisted that to her  disbelieving daughter, assuming he doesn't know it's a pretty big thing to withhold so get over yourself Shauna. 

At that altitude she'd have died on impact-

Well it's not a certainty as I horribly discovered during a Golden Gate Bridge tour where we were told the total number of suicide attempts and the *failures* who survived the jumps off, she didn't seem to be higher than that bridge. It wasn't a great idea and I'm still  not buying their level of desperation or that there is some legit reason there is "nothing to hunt" in the middle of an area RICH in biodiversity, but I just revisited a podcast talking about Alive and that those guys who really were fucked, decided they'd rather die trying to get out than sitting and waiting on death to take them.  So I respect that Laura Lee wanted to be active if she was going to die anyway (which again wasn't assured, obvs). 

• Love 8

Re: Adam being Javi.

it's inconceivable she wouldn't recognize him. 

Not necessarily. Some kids change a lot from 12-25. I’ve seen Facebook pictures of people’s kids who graduated college, and I knew the kids when they were in elementary school with my kids, and I don’t recognize them. It’s not inconceivable, especially when she’s not expecting it to be Javi. It’s like seeing your regular grocery store clerk in civvies in Walmart. They kinda look familiar but you can’t place them because they’re out of context.

I’m really curious how many end of being rescued. We know of five, but it’s very likely that others were rescued but don’t interact with their Yellowjackets teammates 20 years later. Even with the shared bond of the crash and survival, some might move away or want to put it behind them and forget. So it makes me wonder what survivor reveals we’ll get in present day.

Speaking of surviving, there is no way Van would survive those injuries under those conditions. In a hospital with proper medical care, sure. But infection is a bitch, and those horrific gaping wounds aren’t going to heal with some amateur stitching. 

Laura Lee, we hardly knew ya. Good try, though. It would have been funny if she had spotted a large town beyond the mountain right before blowing up.

• Love 14

I'm wondering if we'll get a big survivor reveal/cliffhanger in the season finale. I agree there has to be more than just the five knowns otherwise the present-day storyline will peter out very quickly.

One thing I found interesting is Jeff being under the impression Tai and Shauna hadn't seen each other in twenty years. I know Shauna was using the burner phone, but why the secrecy? Did Jeff ask her not to keep in touch so they could move on from the memory of Jackie? He seemed genuinely happy to see Tai, so could he really be the same blackmailer who punched her in the face? So many questions.

• Love 6
Just now, BitterApple said:

I agree there has to be more than just the five knowns otherwise the present-day storyline will peter out very quickly.

Me too. Jessica said something like, some of you really like living off the grid. I guess she could have just been talking about Travis, but I got the impression she meant plural. Tai already knew where Nat and Shauna were, and no one seems overly concerned with keeping tabs on Misty.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

Speaking of surviving, there is no way Van would survive those injuries under those conditions. In a hospital with proper medical care, sure. But infection is a bitch, and those horrific gaping wounds aren’t going to heal with some amateur stitching. 

I agree.  Any antibiotics were likely already used on Coach (still amazed he survived). Plus there's no way Van can possibly eat anything with that injury, so it's likely just prolonging the inevitable.

I know we've discussed the total number of survivors, so I found it interesting that only the main characters ran out to greet the returnees and search for Tai & Van.  I also find it hard to believe that they can't find game to hunt or that anyone hasn't had success fishing.  That's a big ass lake for them to ignore. 

Jeff said the dress was for the reunion (high school?). Was that the first mention or was there a previous discussion I missed?  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tatum said:

Me too. Jessica said something like, some of you really like living off the grid. I guess she could have just been talking about Travis, but I got the impression she meant plural. 

That plus when Shauna was shown the postcards she said it had to be someone from the team so we know for a fact there are more survivors.

42 minutes ago, snarts said:

I know we've discussed the total number of survivors, so I found it interesting that only the main characters ran out to greet the returnees and search for Tai & Van.  

I've been wondering about this the past couple eps since they haven't really been showing any extras. How many survivors are there exactly? 

Jeff said the dress was for the reunion (high school?). Was that the first mention or was there a previous discussion I missed?  

It was the first mention I remember hearing but the way it was done made me think we were supposed to already know about it so I don't know if maybe I just missed another mention.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, snarts said:

I also find it hard to believe that they can't find game to hunt or that anyone hasn't had success fishing. 

They did show Travis checking the net he had set up for catching fish, but it was empty (and it looked like a pretty half-assed effort anyway).

16 hours ago, monagatuna said:

and having jumped into water from cliffs and also from planes,

Respect! Deep awe-struck respect!

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

How many survivors are there exactly? 

It was the first mention I remember hearing but the way it was done made me think we were supposed to already know about it so I don't know if maybe I just missed another mention.

19 survivors. Tai, Shauna, Nat, Misty, Travis, Coach Scott, Javi, Jackie, Lottie, Van, Laura Lee (RIP), Mari, Akilah, and six redshirts. The extras come and go as needed. I'm assuming the writers keep them around to have people to kill off without sacrificing one of the main characters. 

I don't recall the reunion being mentioned either, but I agree the scene played out like it was something we were supposed to know about all along. 

This is such a shallow observation, but when Shauna rejected the bandage dress, my first thought was her boobs would've looked amazing in it. For some reason she hates "boob dresses" lol. 

• Love 6

I suspected that Laura Lee might be toast, we got our first flashback to her and we obviously know that they wont be rescued for quite some time, but I still gasped when her teddy bear exploded and her plane went down. That does seem pretty nuts, like the forest really is trying to keep them there, but while I would be alright with some supernatural happenings, I am still pretty sure they will leave things ambiguous. Is Lottie having visions, or is she just mentally ill and lucky? We already know that the mystery tree woman is just Tai, so I wouldn't be surprised if most things have a logical explanation, although that certainly wont make things less scary. 

I am still loving the show, its a bit slow at times but I like the tension that is being built and watching things slowly get worse in the flashbacks and trying to piece together what happened in the present. Its getting worse and worse, now with the getting seemingly close to a way out then losing it I can see things escalating quickly, although we are still a way off from ritualistic cannibalism, we may have to do a time skip. 

Adam being Javi almost seems too obvious, especially knowing that he's lying about his past and has zero internet presence, and I can see Shauna not recognizing him if its been so long, but I think we're getting faked out. There is something weird going on with him though, kudos to the bratty daughter for at least having the sense to actually google this guy, which Shauna should have done ages ago. I do think her talk with Tai added context to why she is throwing herself so much into her affair with Adam, he sounds just like the kind of guy she imagined falling in love with in college, the guy she never got the chance to meet because of what happened. 

Misty is an absolute blast, but I very much see her as the villain of the show, even if she's one I sometimes feel bad for. She crossed the line from eccentric to horrible when she broke the black box just so she could be the hero, every death from that moment on is on her, they could have been rescued by now if not for her. Laura Lee would be alive now and Van wouldn't be missing a face if she hadn't been so selfish, she's probably the bigger villain then whoever the blackmailer is, if it wasn't for her half of this stuff never would have happened. 

Poor Van, she is either very lucky or insanely unlucky depending on how you look at it. She just cant escape fires. I almost had to fast forward her getting "surgery" on her face, that was just next level nasty. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, snarts said:

You reminded me that I wanted to nutpunch Jeff not just for picking the dress and a yellow one at that, but mostly for "you married into homecoming royalty." He may have been joking but he really does seem to be one of those people who will never let go of their high school glory days, no matter that part of his wife's high school senior year was spent in horrific situations. And he really does seem to want her to never forget (in his eyes; in mine it's the reverse) she married up.   

• Applause 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Respect! Deep awe-struck respect!

Appreciate that, but at least jumping from a plane I had a parachute. I was cringing watching Laura Lee fly without a bailout rig on, but it's not like they had one handy. But during water training one of the things that was hammered into me was "never cut away (your main parachute) over water" because that shit gets hard, even at low altitudes (and also you may think you can eyeball the altitude but your eyes play tricks on you and you're usually lower than you think you are). My highest cliff dive was about 60' and I hit the water wrong. I didn't walk right for a month and consider myself lucky that's as bad as it got. Jumps into water from that height may be survivable, but not likely. I wouldn't blame her for trying, though. In a moment of lucidity you may think it's better to go out in a ball of flames than to be possibly extremely injured or dead from a fall, but I doubt she was thinking clearly. Her priority was prayer, and I can't really fault her for that, either. It was super cool to watch and as annoyed with her as I was in E1, I liked her a lot by the end, and I'm glad she had her final moment of triumph.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 13

Misty is for me the biggest villain by far for all the "but for" reasons others have elucidated. That said, she's a fun villain to watch. I honestly thought "oh shit, captive reporter is gonna DIEEE - you threaten my beloved pet, you're over!!" so she surprised me by just sadly checking the handcuffs instead.

And Juliette Lewis' face sometimes seems off, like I can't tell the emotion coming through? But damn if she does not just do a freak out scene better than anyone. When they started with her close-up, I was naively thinking "oh, girl, that's a lot of eyeliner..." before quickly realizing she's done off-her-rocker drunk. I'm perfectly fine with her questioning/threatening the bank manager. Just find it coincidental that it's apparently the same bank Travis used.

The bedtime scene with Shauna and Tai was actually quite sweet. Showed how the core survivors really and truly only have each other when it comes to real trust, as they (presumably) know each other's deepest, darkest secrets about what happened during those 19 months.

Finally, every week I just marvel at how insanely perfect the theme music is. It sounds so damn much like a real 90s track and hits all the right notes of anger, grrl power, apropos lyrics, and nth-degree creepiness.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, blixie said:

Well ostensibly he's not supposed to know who she is, she insisted that to her  disbelieving daughter, assuming he doesn't know it's a pretty big thing to withhold so get over yourself Shauna. 

It’s also a pretty big thing to tell anyone, especially someone you’ve only known a few weeks. I don’t blame her for not telling him yet. 

• Love 8