Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

Question:  I am trying a new recipe in my slow cooker this weekend that is bone-in chicken thighs and vegetables in a sauce.  I'm supposed to add  a pound of fresh green beans towards the end of the cooking time but  all I could find was a bag of frozen.  Should I defrost them and add them as directed or put them in frozen a little earlier?

Advice, please.

I have the vaguest request ever. As I mentioned in the baking thread, my New Year's Resolution is to make at least one thing every month that I've never tried before. In January it was macarons (shaky, but a success) and in February it was a chocolate soufflé (pretty much a failure). At some point later in the year, when I have some time to myself, I plan on cooking veal and possibly goat if I can get my hands on it, and I may do eggs benedict for a mother's day brunch in May (hey, it doesn't have to be exotic to be new to me!). But this month my well is running dry. I need suggestions for other foods or techniques I can undertake. I live in a decently-sized city with access to a wide variety of ingredients, my kitchen is well-equipped, and I am totally cool with setting aside an entire day to cook when the mood strikes.

Some unusual/specific things I have already made before, most of which I quite enjoyed doing:

bread

madeleines (due for another attempt, though of course it won't count as new)

various cheesecakes

venison

rabbit

from-scratch pie crust

whole roasted birds

deep-fried foods

butter

cheese

marshmallows

You'd have to use store-bought vegetables, but you could try pickles. My grandmother used to make spicy squash pickles that my husband really liked. We never got her recipe, though. It probably would have involved watching her make them and writing down everything she did.

If I were adventuresome like you I'd try making a pizza.  I'd get that 00 flour from an Italian store and research the 'net for the most authentic recipe.  Make the sauce the way they do in Italian-American homes.  Get the best mozzarella.  It's not easy getting it "right" so it would be a challenge.

Kimchi, if you don't live in an apartment. It takes time to ripen and kinda smells the place up while it does. But the ingredients aren't all that unusual.

Ricotta is easy to make, and a nice entry into cheese. Then there's always yogurt.

Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 1

Sauerkraut is even easier than kimchi. There's also jam and other preserves for the summer.

I second the Kouign Amman and pizza. Have you tried sourdough bread? There's also pasta from scratch and you don't need a pasta maker for some of it too. The next level up from Kouign Amman and pie crust would be at home rough puff pastry.

I could go on and on as I have a lot of my cooking/baking bucket list too. Good luck, Tabbyclaw!

I was going to mention jam/jelly, too, Athena. The only type of jelly I've ever made is hot pepper jelly (using jalapeños from my garden when I used to have a garden, but you could easily substitute store-bought jalapeños). I highly recommend using gloves when cutting the peppers - and don't absent-mindedly rub your eyes!

• Love 2

@MargeGunderson Ooh, that's a definite keeper! I've actually wanted to make kouign-amann ever since seeing it on GBBO, but that's the first recipe I've seen where I feel like I actually understand exactly how to fold it all together. I will also definitely hold onto the ideas of pickles and mozzarella for later. (My mother is on a restricted diet for the month that doesn't allow her dairy; if I made cheese now while she couldn't have any she might disown me.) Kimchi and sauerkraut are out, unfortunately; not an apartment but a shared space whose other inhabitants would not appreciate it.

What is kouign-amann and why have I never heard of it?

The dough is basically croissant dough, but it is muffin-like in shape and has extra butter and sugar that caramelizes, making it slightly crunchy. Here's a good article on them: https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2015/06/30/year-old-pastry-one-ever-heard/lqkq23IrbvrYM6Ews5Y1sN/story.html .

Trader Joe's carried them in the frozen section for a while but I haven't seen them lately.

I'm still trying to get the perfect fried rice recipe down.

There's a zillion fried rice recipes and ingredients out there, so a google search doesn't help.

I would try using peanut oil instead of canola, vegetable, whatever else you might be using.  Taste wise to me it makes a difference and that is what my Mom taught me (and she's Taiwanese so it must be right!).  And white pepper - always white pepper!

I like my fried rice made with fresh rice so I cook it the same day - it will still be warm, but not hot.  A lot of recipes suggest using leftover rice, but that doesn't happen in restaurants.  I normally add some butter to the pan before I add the rice in.  I only use about a tablespoon so not a lot in comparison to the volume of rice I am cooking, but it adds a nice mouth feel IMO.

You might find cooking the rice in a broth instead of water amps up the flavor for you. 

I keep the green onions separated by color - the white part I cook longer when I throw in the veggies.  The green part I don't through in until the last few minutes so they get warmed mostly through contact with the other ingredients.  I use a lot of green onion in fried rice.

I tend to cook things in a particular order - so scrambled eggs first (done like a pancake) move to plate, then meat or shrimp (if raw*) with some of the green onions white parts,  move to bowl, veggies with green onion white parts, add butter, add rice, cook and meat (and some juices depending on your taste), add green onions and scrambled eggs that has been cut into slivers.  Season everything lightly in the same order except the pancakes (which I leave alone).

*If I am using leftover meat, I season it before adding at the end of the veggie cooking.

You might try using a seasoning packet from a packet of ramen - I prefer Maruchan oriental flavor, but wouldn't think twice about using beef flavor on pork/chicken/shrimp or vice versa.  The roasted chicken seasoning packet is on the mild side for me.   It is probably a sodium bomb, but I probably use about 1/2 a packet on a big pan of fried rice.  I do add soy sauce right before I add the rice and more later if necessary.

Hope something here helps!

• Love 4

DeLurker:  Thanks for your tips.  My fried rice never quite tastes great...it's just ok.  Glad to hear that I don't have to use day old rice (I've seen that tip over & over on the internet).  Peanut oil sounds good.  I usually do a combo of veg oil and sesame oil.  I bet the peanut oil is one of the missing ingrediants!

I wanted to suggest bagels, but others beat me to it. They're on my own bucket list, I've just never quite worked up the nerve to try. Mostly, I guess, because I haven't the freezer space to store any, and it seems like too much work for a small handful. And too risky to try when you're feeding a bunch of hungry guests.

So how about Ethiopian food? Chicken Doro Wat, or the carrots and potatoes? If you're really motivated, you can make your own injera, the thin bread it's served on/ eaten with, or just cut corners and use a tortilla. Tastes nothing at all the same, but serves its purpose well enough.

Or for non-smelly Korean, as kimchi's out, how about bulgogi? Bulgogi is really tasty. I also like their spinach, but it's fairly heavy on the garlic.

DeLurker, I loved your description of how you make your fried rice. Everybody always looks at me funny for sorting my green onions by color. Glad to know I'm not alone. I prefer to use one or two day old rice, because I cook it my "fried" rice in a *very* strong broth. (I just make extra rice on a night when we're having curry or something like that.) I use very little fat in the cooking process, but drizzle a small hit of sesame oil over the rice prior to serving (as long as no one's dieting). That really adds flavor.

@MargeGunderson Ooh, that's a definite keeper! I've actually wanted to make kouign-amann ever since seeing it on GBBO, but that's the first recipe I've seen where I feel like I actually understand exactly how to fold it all together.

Funny you say that, because I was reminded of a book I was gifted on how to fold origami that was big on descriptions and short on diagrams... Much head scratching and paper crumpling ensued. I've seen puff pastry done, so I knew what they are going for, but that's just a rough thing to decribe.
  • Love 1

DeLurker:  Thanks for your tips.  My fried rice never quite tastes great...it's just ok.  Glad to hear that I don't have to use day old rice (I've seen that tip over & over on the internet).  Peanut oil sounds good.  I usually do a combo of veg oil and sesame oil.  I bet the peanut oil is one of the missing ingrediants!

Keep using the sesame oil - I use it, but just for flavor and not like you use other oils.  There's a lot of ingredients I left out just because there are sooooo many that can be used for seasoning (garlic, ginger, chilis, etc...) and veggies (fresh vs frozen, corn, peas, carrots, etc...).

I'm totally intimidated by the bread making process, but every few years I remember a yummy appetizer that was brought to my brother's engagement party by his wife-to-be side of the family:  some form of bread that had been flattened and filled with a combination of seasoning, cheese and salami or pepperoni, rolled than baked (they are Italian).  It was so so good.  Any ideas as to what that would be?  Can't ask the SIL since they are in the midst of an ugly divorce.

• Love 2

DeLurker - I know exactly what you are talking about. We used to make that all the time at work for our potlucks/lunches some 30 years ago. It was delicious! We filled it with all sorts of things; the ingredients you listed, but we would also make one with ground beef, mushrooms and cheese, and I think a chicken and broccoli. We called it "Garbage Bread", but it was anything but!

• Love 1

Thanks so much, can't wait to try these.

As far as the fried rice, my one tip is to beat the eggs with a little sesame oil and cook in the wok with oil on high heat, then remove and slice to add later in the process.  It makes them poufy and brown and adds that delicious sesame flavor.  That's all I've got.

• Love 1

Everybody always looks at me funny for sorting my green onions by color. Glad to know I'm not alone. I prefer to use one or two day old rice, because I cook it my "fried" rice in a *very* strong broth. (I just make extra rice on a night when we're having curry or something like that.) I use very little fat in the cooking process, but drizzle a small hit of sesame oil over the rice prior to serving (as long as no one's dieting). That really adds flavor.

My people, errr person!

Not sure it makes a difference, but it matters to me.  I am not a particularly efficient cook, but there are certain things that I am very particular about.  And using leftover rice might not make such a big difference depending on how you cook the rice.  I cook mine in a pot on the stove top instead of a rice maker.  I wonder if it would be less of a taste difference to me if I used a rice maker?  Hmmm...of course since the new kitchen has much less space than my old, I doubt if I'll but one just to find out.

ETA:  Thanks for the feedback and suggestions for stromboli - not being all that familiar with Italian foods, I figured it was a well known dish but I had no clue where to start.

Edited by DeLurker

Well I'm pretty sure sorting the green onions makes a difference in at least some foods. That way the white part can flavor the meat (or whatever) while cooking, and adding the green bits last saves them from becoming mush. It's just that not everybody seems to care about stuff like that. But I'm convinced that seasoning meat while cooking makes a big difference to the end result, and I think texture is also pretty undervalued. But those uninitiated louts scoff, and call it ocd. Meh.

We use a rice cooker despite having a very small kitchen. (Basically, if I stand in the middle of the kitchen with my arms extended I can touch all counter surfaces. And I'm not a gorilla.) Totally worth the shelf space. I think it was the very first appliance we bought as a couple. (And our first fight was about how to cook rice properly. That's how I knew he was a keeper. :-))

I also cook rice dishes in the rice cooker, though. Like Spanish rice or Indian lentils and rice. And I even shortcut my risotto with it sometimes. (No one seems to be able to tell, so I figure why not?) I start it out on the stove top, and after the first broth addition cooks down some, I just put it in the rice cooker with the rest of the broth. Saves a lot of time and stirring.

• Love 1

Keep using the sesame oil - I use it, but just for flavor and not like you use other oils.  There's a lot of ingredients I left out just because there are sooooo many that can be used for seasoning (garlic, ginger, chilis, etc...) and veggies (fresh vs frozen, corn, peas, carrots, etc...).

I'm totally intimidated by the bread making process, but every few years I remember a yummy appetizer that was brought to my brother's engagement party by his wife-to-be side of the family:  some form of bread that had been flattened and filled with a combination of seasoning, cheese and salami or pepperoni, rolled than baked (they are Italian).  It was so so good.  Any ideas as to what that would be?  Can't ask the SIL since they are in the midst of an ugly divorce.

DeLurker:  Yes...I use just a little sesame oil for flavor and fragrance.  A little goes a long way!  I looked up pepperoni rolls and found this recipe which I printed and want to try one of these days.  I thought it sounded like what you were describing.  I think it might be simpler to make than strombolis or calzones:

http://www.food.com/recipe/pepperoni-rolls-185022

• Love 1

If you want to go easier, stretch a store bought ball of pizza dough to about 13 x 9", top with pepperoni and cheese or whatever you want, then roll up into a 9'' roll.  Bake then slice into rounds.

• Love 2

We use a rice cooker despite having a very small kitchen. (Basically, if I stand in the middle of the kitchen with my arms extended I can touch all counter surfaces. And I'm not a gorilla.) Totally worth the shelf space. I think it was the very first appliance we bought as a couple. (And our first fight was about how to cook rice properly. That's how I knew he was a keeper. :-))

Is it a programmable rice cooker? If so, you can find recipes online for using it to bake bread, among other things.

• Love 1

Seriously??? Now *that* sounds sexy. And it will end up on my list of "love to haves" that I probably won't get anytime soon because I'm wasting money on curtains. *sigh* (Still wrestling with that. It's going to take some time.) No, we have a simple, only one button to push, idiot proof machine, but to be fair, it was incredibly cheap. (I've paid more for movie tickets. (Those, otoh, strike me as incredibly expensive.)) And I can still get it to make fancy stuff, so not bad at all, really.

Speaking of, I know *why* I'm supposed to stir my risotto painstakingly on the stovetop, but like I said, nobody noticed the change. But realistically part of that will be the non-discerning chowhounds I'm feeding. Anybody with a more refined palate want to weigh in for good or ill?

If you want to go easier, stretch a store bought ball of pizza dough to about 13 x 9", top with pepperoni and cheese or whatever you want, then roll up into a 9'' roll.  Bake then slice into rounds.

Oh!  Brilliant - must add pizza dough to the shopping list!

Is it a programmable rice cooker? If so, you can find recipes online for using it to bake bread, among other things.

Seriously?  That is all kinds of cool. Have you tried it?  If so, what did you think of the outcome?

No, I haven't tried rice cooker bread, mainly because I only have a plain old ordinary rice cooker that only has one control - a power switch. It's something to keep in mind if I ever have to replace it though.

I make bagels, English muffins and pita bread from scratch. Well, sometimes, because it's labour intensive. But yummy.

English muffin starter is bubbling on the counter. Going to finish the dough tonight and cook tomorrow. I really hope these turn out because I'm really excited, Ihad no idea they were cooked on the stove. I told everyone I was making these so I couldn't back out!

• Love 1

Homemade English muffins are delicious, but labour intensive and messy with all that cornmeal.  I make an English muffin bread (loaf) that tastes just the same.

Okay, my peeps.  I have a double batch of Ina's meatballs in my freezer (beef/pork mixture, uncooked) and have decided I should use them up.   I could do spaghetti and meatballs every night for a week and be quite happy, but I was thinking meatball soup, which I have never made.  I'm finding lots of recipes that involve chicken broth, which seems weird, but I guess I could just substitute beef.  And I'm finding lots that are generic "dice carrots and onions, add a can of crushed tomatoes," which would be fine if I could hit on the right herb and spice combination to make it pop.  Does anyone have a favourite recipe?

If you want a departure from your usual, make a white sauce with mushrooms etc and make Stroganoff Meatballs and serve them over noodles.  So good!  

• Love 2

Cook pasta *I prefer macaroni for this dish*

drain

add tin of tomato soup and a block of grated cheese

add back to heat til cheese melt.

*you can add mushroom peppers etc if you like*

*the amounts you use would depend on how many you are feeding*

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, FanOfDorks said:

drain

OMG! Others make this? I haven't thought of this in years.

I was beyond a picky eater as a child and while the rest of the fam enjoyed real sauced spaghetti my mom made ^^^ soup-sauce for me. I just knew I wouldn't like all of the (really good) stuff in the real deal. All of your add-ins would have sent memover the I-can't-eat-that edge.

I googled it and it's actually a "thing" if you're short spagh. sauce. That and watered down ketchup. Really. Honest.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FanOfDorks said:

drain

My mother added cooked hamburger meat, put it all in a casserole dish and topped it with buttered bread and cooked it until the cheese was melted and the bread toasted. I love it. My husband hates it.

• Love 2

I have a recipe but I need some advice.  I made some pasta fagioli soup this weekend and let it simmer a bit too long so I had to add more broth to keep it soupy.  After sticking the leftovers in the fridge, I've found that the pasta and veggies absorbed all the liquid so I have a sort of casserole instead of soup.  Should I add water?  Even more broth?  Eat it with a fork?